Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 5 Thursday, 5 August 1999 Today's Topics: RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Re: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? TMBG: National exposure NON-TMBG: MP3 Recording RE: NON-TMBG: MP3 Recording Re: TMBG: My TMBG history TMBG: TMBG fans at Falcon Ridge Re: TMBG: TMBG fans at Falcon Ridge Re: TMBG: National exposure Re: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? TMBG: MC Search Re: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? Re: TMBG: TMBG fans at Falcon Ridge Re: TMBG: TMBG fans at Falcon Ridge TMBG: Irving Plaza Album Art TMBG: successful conversion Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 01:13:29 -0700 Message-ID: <000201bede51$3c0c2a20$5ec66ac6@tooms> > << quit the list, too much of a waste of time. > > Bridget "Bongo, do NOT reply to this" Guildner >> > > If you don't like it, don't participate in it. ...... HE DID. bridget "just listen sometimes, huh?" guildner > Mike > > Remember, I want to see TMBG!!! > bridgie t. "i was a nice girl," she pleaded, "wasn't i?" http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 05:57:52 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? Message-id: <37A80E9F.F46EA14F@wmich.edu> You may be on to something..... but I don't think it's that TMBG IS fake... but that even if they may APPEAR fake to some... they're really not..... (see what follows...) > "Hey, hey counterfeit fake / History wants you, they made a mistake" > counterfeit means fake... so combining the two words in fact cancels each word out (much like the famous 'double negative') so it's really a tribute to authenticity > > "Fake out, fake in, (etc., etc.)" > again it's canceling itself.... first it fakes out... then *wham* fooled you... and fakes back in to where it belongs > > "They might be fake, they might be lies, they might be big big fake fake lies" > see.... the canceling..... > > "Counterfeit faker, the damage has been done" > I think you get my point now.... So there we have... TMBG is as genuine as they come... (or ARE they... maybe it's just a ploy to make us BELIEVE they are unique in every way..... or maybe its a ploy to have us think they are fake and fool us all..... or maybe they want to fake us out and then reveal that they are indeed grinning scarecrows.... just trying to lure intellectuals into believing what they already know to be true..... NO..... NO......... GAAAAAA!!!!! ) Sarah, "I'm insane... I'm insane...." -- Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990804223001.007af520@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 22:30:01 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: National exposure >It says that BNW got a 5.0 rating and a 9 share. Each rating point means >that approximately 994,000 households were tuned in... which means that >about 5 million people saw TMBG on thursday. Which is really pretty >frightening.... And considering that they were on for two minutes, that's a total of ten million minutes, or slightly over nineteen years of exposure in front of the American public... you'd think that would have hauled in a few new fans. -Ryan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:55:07 -0700 Subject: NON-TMBG: MP3 Recording Message-ID: <19990804.115510.-830073.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hello to all. as a totally confused consumer, i need to have someone answer a question about mp3s. as i download long tall weekend as we speak, will i be able to burn them on to a CD and play them in my discman? i was told that i can't do that. is there some sort of process of transferring the files to the correct format? if anyone out there cares to help out, please let me know. i've been skimming the list in the past few weeks, so forgive me if the topic has already been given the once over. thanks adam * ------------------------------------------------------- ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: "Malia Jackson" Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: MP3 Recording Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:39:01 -0400 Message-ID: <001101bede97$dc243160$015501be@aisvt.bfg.com> You need a program to convert mp3's to wav files, which is what a CD player can read. You can find one at mp3.com, I think it's called Music Match. That'll do. Cheers, The Contessa Malia. -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org] On Behalf Of Adam Schaaf Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 1999 2:55 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: NON-TMBG: MP3 Recording hello to all. as a totally confused consumer, i need to have someone answer a question about mp3s. as i download long tall weekend as we speak, will i be able to burn them on to a CD and play them in my discman? i was told that i can't do that. is there some sort of process of transferring the files to the correct format? if anyone out there cares to help out, please let me know. i've been skimming the list in the past few weeks, so forgive me if the topic has already been given the once over. thanks adam(tm) * ------------------------------------------------------- ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:57:18 -0600 From: Tim FitzRandolph Message-ID: <37A87EFE.B7C@colorado.edu> Organization: none Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG history Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Mike Leffel wrote: > > What *IS* it with people??? People who can listen LOVINGLY to >COMPLETE > >DRECK all day long, pay *MONEY* to sit in hot outside 'concerts' all >day > >long listening to CRAP, and watch MTV *CONSTANTLY* (on the most part) > >waiting for them to play CRAP, will HATE TMBG!!!!+ > > Well, they say one man's trash is another man's treasure. If you want to > base decisions solely on musical talent, though, the Johns are not the best > musicians out there. I know that my mother doesn't much care for Them, > partially because of Their mediocre tunes and voices. My mother doesn't > listen to Butthole Surfers or watch MTV, either, though. Compared to a lot > of what's out there now, the Johns really ARE great musicians. I guess I > can't understand how someone can listen to grunge and heavy metal, and then > get annoyed by the music of TMBG (which is generally pretty easy on the > ears), but, to use another tired cliche, there's no accounting for tastes. > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan Mulac "I'm just FULL of cliches today!" DeHoff > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com I am glad that i have news of antoher kind to report, rather than backlash for TMBG, I have actually fashioned several new fans from some friends. By cleverly playing TMBG in the background while we play pool, etc... i have been able to get several friends humming TMBG songs like "Till my head falls off", "dr worm", "older", and "new york city" without even knowing it. One of my friends actually had me burn him a copy of the Free concert in NYC! so it is possible, friends! -tim fitzrandolph well the rain falls down without my help i'm afraid.... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:21:40 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: TMBG fans at Falcon Ridge Message-ID: On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > haven't been mentioned here. I will paste them in for people too lazy to > open a browser: > Date: City: Venue: Dagnabit. Still no dates in California. :( Maybe they hate me personally. :) > I was at Falcon Ridge and I heard some of the stuff on the new album > in there Concert A lot of it is more serious but still upbeat and I > mean Heck they have a song where they are drolling over a nude teenage > girl in a movie so it cant be all that bad. Were you the person wearing a TMBG shirt waiting in the food line that I talked to? If so, howdy! If not, howdy! And if you're referring to Splatter Splatter, I read it as condemning slasher flicks rather than celebrating them. > Night Security is a GREAT song, and the deep voice makes it all the > better. Barry Carl is a GOD. Such an awesome voice.... *sigh* I wonder if Flansburgh knew him personally (Rockapella is based in NYC, after all), or professionally, or what... it's darn near perfect casting! > i hear alot about moxy fruvous on this list, and would like to hear what > they are all about. Check 'em out. In my experience, most people who like TMBG will also like Fruvous. [1] Ideally, catch one of their shows (tour dates are up at Fruvous Dot Com (www.fruvous.com), easily the best band website I've ever seen), but if they don't tour near you (believe me, I can relate), pick up either Live Noise (their live album) or Bargainville (their first album). --nicole the wonder nerd [1] Some don't, of course. Questions about Fruvous pop up every so often on this list and usually draw vehement detractors out of the woodwork. Ignore them--IMHO, the odds that you'll like them are high enough that you really should take a shot. *** "Circumstances eat themselves. The present tense has been."--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990804200956.13954.rocketmail@web105.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 13:09:56 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG fans at Falcon Ridge > > Were you the person wearing a TMBG shirt waiting in > the food line that I > talked to? If so, howdy! If not, howdy! > And if you're referring to Splatter Splatter, I read > it as condemning slasher > flicks rather than celebrating them. Oh well yes I was That Kid in the food line with the TMBG Bugs shirt. Howdy! Thanx for tellin me about the list and I don't know I have to listen to splatter splatter a few more times till i get the point thru my thick skull. -Adam "wonders why Nicole never answered his first post looking to thank her for introducing him to the list." Gaya Current theme song: Killer Tent Song -Moxy Fruvous _____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990804202538.62001.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: Re: TMBG: National exposure Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 13:25:37 PDT Oh yes, they certainly will, and if not from those two minutes, then from the other 5 shows. After TMBG being on 5 of the 8 shows, I'm sure a lot of people will become curious as to who they are... and what other music they've made. -Kimberly ----Original Message Follows---- From: Ryan Mooney Reply-To: Ryan Mooney To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: National exposure Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 22:30:01 +1000 >It says that BNW got a 5.0 rating and a 9 share. Each rating point means >that approximately 994,000 households were tuned in... which means that >about 5 million people saw TMBG on thursday. Which is really pretty >frightening.... And considering that they were on for two minutes, that's a total of ten million minutes, or slightly over nineteen years of exposure in front of the American public... you'd think that would have hauled in a few new fans. -Ryan _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990804204139.21279.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 13:41:39 PDT They Might Be Giants are not grinning scarecrows..... They are not fake, but according to "Mario" They are VERY manufactured. Ha ha.... I think "Mario Speaks" is svailable at the Better Living site. -Kimberly _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:33:23 -0400 Subject: TMBG: MC Search Message-ID: <19990804.173455.-143903.3.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray In the TMBG comp vidios, Flansburgh claims to look just like MC Search. Who is this guy, and where can I find his pic. I've tried searching but found nothing :( Mysterio Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: VladAmel@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:51:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? Isarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: << aybe it's just a ploy to make us BELIEVE they are unique in every way..... or maybe its a ploy to have us think they are fake and fool us all..... or maybe they want to fake us out and then reveal that they are indeed grinning scarecrows.... just trying to lure intellectuals into believing what they already know to be true..... NO..... NO......... GAAAAAA!!!!! ) >> and maybe Satan wrote the Bible! and so God would actually be Satan... -Amel, member of the Nightmare Nation "no feelings were hurt in the making of this message" ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:26:42 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG fans at Falcon Ridge Message-ID: <19990804.192814.-143903.7.gray42@juno.com> > Dagnabit. Still no dates in California. :( Maybe they hate me > personally. :) > Negativland is starting to tour again, and as far as I know, they are staying away from the East coast. *jealous* West Coast Music=Negativland East Coast Music=TMBG both are musical geniuses. Mysterio Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990805023214.5681.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah's Madness" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG fans at Falcon Ridge Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 19:32:13 PDT >Were you the person wearing a TMBG shirt waiting in the food line that I >talked to? If so, howdy! If not, howdy! hrrm...i was a person in a tmbg shirt that you talked to while I was in line to get Fruvous's autographs...i was wearing the accordion/guitar/car shirt, and my friend who was wearing a fisherman hat and vest may have given you a sticker....:) and for all fruvous doubters....they are magical! they are great! go buy an album today! :) sarah faye starr guardian of the sacred fruhat p.s. in tmbg content type news, I had a weird John Linnell dream last night....i dreamt I was on the phone with him for three hours!! yay!! _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Rach014@aol.com Message-ID: <2cedde11.24da6eae@aol.com> Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 00:35:58 EDT Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza Album Art Hello- I made some cool art (I think it's cool, anyway... :) for the 7/19/99 Irving Plaza show. Here's where you can see it: http://member.aol.com/rach014/irvingplaza.html :) Rachel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 00:47:04 EST From: Henrietta Pussycat Message-ID: <009DC264.80469340.3@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: successful conversion this is an exchange from AOL IM.... i am y and the other dude is X. names have been changed to protect privacy. i am proud of myself. love, becky X: purple toupee sounded pretty good from the 30 second clip i heard of it y: oh good. x: woah! i was just blown away by ana nq THAT SONG WAS AWESOME! y: YEAH! rock on, i knew you would love it. y: the whole thing is so great, and it's fantastic live, too. y: i've seen Them 3 times now. X: i have to buy that cd! X: that sounds cool y: yaaaaaaay! X: must buy lincon and flood now y: i have to tell the list i converted you. X: list? X: wha? y: the email list. y: www.tmbg.org X: i have seen the light! X: hehe X: i will preach the word to others so that they to may enjoy the wonderful music known only as tmbg! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-5 *****************************