Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 19 Sunday, 19 September 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh Show Re:Subject: TMBG: cat food TMBG: New Technology TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-18 Re: TMBG: New Technology RE: TMBG: New Technology Re: TMBG: New Technology Re: TMBG: New Technology NON-TMBG: Ben Folds Five Concert Dates Re: NON-TMBG: Ben Folds Five Concert Dates TMBG: The Power of Dial-A-Song (and your call is next!) Re: TMBG: The Power of Dial-A-Song (and your call is next!) TMBG: TMBG Bugs Shirt Re: TMBG: TMBG Bugs Shirt Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:48:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh Show In a message dated 9/18/99 12:34:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, SOLFLARE1@aol.com writes: << A couple days ago, I read that the Pittsburgh show on Oct.14 was CANCELLED?! Is that on reliable info? If so, it will be much to my dismay. I just started going to school out here in Pittsburgh and this would've been the absolute best way to start off my concert-going years here. -Michael >> Yes, that would be on extremely reliable info, because it came from Operator Dot, who works at the TMB Productions office...it's about equal to hearing the news from the Johns themselves. So sorry to disappoint you :-( Karen MuseKJ@aol.com Muse of the Day: Polyhymnia ~ ~ Muse of Sacred Poetry and Hymns ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37E34F56.9EEF8BEC@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 01:37:44 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re:Subject: TMBG: cat food Christi587@aol.com wrote: Message-ID: <757c85af.25132fe2@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:47:14 EDT >A snippet discovered in an archived chat with Carolyn Hax (Washington Post >advice columnist): >"Rockville, MD: Hi Carolyn- >I have what may be a silly, but hopefully not overly long question. After an >agonizingly long time of waiting for my best friend to wake up and smell the >catfood, he confessed that he is in love with me..." Hmmm... that person MUST be a TMBG fan because "wake up and smell the cat food" is a 100% bona fide TMBG reference. So, did the columnist remark on the phrase? For a long time I thought it was " wake up and smell the caffeine", a TMBG twist on the familiar "wake up and smell the coffee". -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 05:24:06 EDT Subject: TMBG: New Technology My opinion on the whole "johns loving technology" thing is this: They dont like new technology so much, but the majority of their fans as of lately seem to be computer freaks. hell everyone on this list owns a computer. like it or not TMBG will always be a geek band loved by geeks. they have identified their audience and now with all of this internet stuff they can cash in on it. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:26:50 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-18 Message-ID: On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > i've been trying to go to this address http://umn.edu/~cab/whosings.txt to > get the list of which john sings what and it keeps telling me it can't > connect. does anyone have the list and can you send it to me please at > DrPyser@tmbg.org? thank you. Didja try accessing it via the FAQ at tmbg.com? I did, and found it at this URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab/whosings.txt . > a number of years now and have outlasted their chance on a CD studio release. In TMBG-land? Hardly... don't forget Space Suit, which by Flans's account predates TMBG, and yet didn't see the light of day until A18, a span of at least 10 years. > example, "TMBG should have put (Song X) on the new album," and have been > met with response that say, "You are not Them. You have no right to > disagree with what they did." What's up with that? I don't hold with that. Nothing wrong with a little criticism. I still maintain that I'd have picked "Til My Head Falls Off" over "SEXXY" as the single from FS, and just about anything (probly "End of the Tour") over "Snail Shell" as the single from JH. :) And I continue to not understand why they ignore lovely little songs like "What Is Everyone Staring At?" in favour of dreck like "Rat Patrol". But that's just me and my personal tastes. :) > Do you know for sure that the Johns "really like new technology"? I know > that both Johns have stated that They don't have the capability to play Long > Tall Weekend. Now, They might well have been intrigued by the new > technology, but that doesn't necessarily mean that They LIKE it. Maybe they're not playing LTW stuff for non-technical reasons. What if JL doesn't like hauling his clarinet along on tour? I remember an interview once where they admitted that they rarely play (She Was A) Hotel Detective mostly because the bass sax is such a pain to transport and play. Of course, that doesn't excuse the vast majority of LTW songs that DON'T have this problem... *** "Computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1 1/2 tons."--Popular Mechanics, March 1949 Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <37916fcd.25153750@aol.com> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:43:28 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New Technology In a message dated 9/18/99 4:30:19 AM, Gegatron@aol.com writes: > hell everyone on this list owns a computer. well, to be completely true -- that um, isn't true. there are people from webtv that can join this list, without touching a computer. pretty creepy, actually. ^_^ sarah ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: New Technology Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 02:46:32 -0700 Message-ID: I am hardly a geek, I play guitar in a rock band, although I do have a day job as a NT network administrator. :-) -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Gegatron@aol.com Sent: Saturday, September 18, 1999 2:24 AM To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: New Technology My opinion on the whole "johns loving technology" thing is this: They dont like new technology so much, but the majority of their fans as of lately seem to be computer freaks. hell everyone on this list owns a computer. like it or not TMBG will always be a geek band loved by geeks. they have identified their audience and now with all of this internet stuff they can cash in on it. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <1e39747d.25153c1c@aol.com> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:03:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New Technology In a message dated 9/18/99 2:46:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lees@megahits.com writes: > I am hardly a geek, I play guitar in a rock band, although I do have a day > job as a NT network administrator. :-) GEEK! AAAHH! Anyway, Flansy plays guitar ina rock band and he most DEFINITELY is a geek! One of the coolest, cutest damn geeks I've seen but ya know! And I'll vouch for the fact that I'm a geek! And I'm a not-very-computer-savvy geek to boot so I'm just PATHETIC! But I DO bite the heads off chickens at carnivals so I guess I AM a real geek after all ;) Lydia Mmm! Feelin' like chicken tonight since 1837! ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:29:15 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: New Technology Message-ID: <19990918.144813.-332411.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >hell everyone on this list owns a computer. ok waitaminute buddy. i don't own a computer - my roommate does! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:15:20 -0400 Subject: NON-TMBG: Ben Folds Five Concert Dates Message-ID: <19990918.151651.10006.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Just in case anyone cares ... 09/26/99 Boston MA US Harbor Lights WBCN Radio Show 09/28/99 Portland OR US Roseland On Sale Now 09/29/99 Seattle WA US Moore Theater On Sale Now 09/30/99 Vancouver - Canada Rage On Sale Now 10/02/99 Salt Lake City UT US Utah State Fairpark KXRX Radio Show - On Sale Now 10/04/99 Omaha NE US Sokol Hall On Sale Now 10/05/99 Minneapolis MN US First Avenue On Sale Now 10/06/99 Columbia MO US Jesse Auditorium On Sale Now 10/08/99 Atlanta GA US Alexander Memorial Coliseum On Sale Now 10/09/99 Boston MA US Boston City Hall Plaza WBMX Radio Show 10/10/99 Rochester NY Harrow East Theatre On Sale Now 10/12/99 Toronto Canada Warehouse On Sale Now 10/14/99 Chicago IL US Riviera Theatre On Sale Sept. 18 10/15/99 Cincinnati OH US Taft Theatre On Sale Now 10/16/99 Columbus OH US Newport Music Hall 10/17/99 Detroit MI US Clutch Cargo's 10/19/99 Bloomington IN US Indiana University On Sale Now 10/22/99 Philadelphia PA US Electric Factory On Sale Sept. 25 10/24/99 Washington DC US 9:30 Club 10/25/99 Washington DC US 9:30 Club 10/27/99 New York NY US Hammerstein Ballroom on sale Sept. 17 10/30/99 Baltimore MD US Reitz Arena On Sale Now 10/31/99 New Orleans LA US Tad Gromley Stadium ever-sincere, eriKa, who can't go to any of those. :-( "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:58:05 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Ben Folds Five Concert Dates Message-ID: <19990918.145815.-332411.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > 10/27/99 New York NY US Hammerstein Ballroom on sale Sept. 17 there's a band called "train" opening up for them. they rock - if you're in the area totally check out that show or try to catch train playing some other time. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990919044858.7510.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: The Power of Dial-A-Song (and your call is next!) Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:48:57 PDT I have recently received the Power of Dial-A-Song compilation, and, as you may have guessed, I have a few questions and comments about it. I'm kind of tired right now, so I might not cover everything in this post, but here are a few of my thoughts on it: I've seen "I Need Some Lovin'" attributed to Jem and the Holograms. Is that like the doll Jem? And why was this song on Dial-A-Song? Was it written by TMBG, or what? I know "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You," "Concrete And Clay," "Next Plane To London," "Istanbul," and "Why Does The Sun Shine?" are all covers. Do any of the other Dial-A-Songs fall into this category. I'm thinking primarily of "We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime" and "The Writing's On The Wall," which don't really sound TMBG-ish. Then again, TMBG can sound like pretty much anything. The demo of "O, Do Not Forsake Me" is amusing. It sounds like a cross between a country folk ballad and a nursery rhyme, or something like that, while the finished version sounds sort of gospel-like. What are They saying before They perform "Istanbul"? I'm a bit disturbed by the lack of glockenspiel in "Shoehorn With Teeth," but I guess that's only to be expected in a demo. What is the "extended mix" of "Your Racist Friend" mentioned at tmbg.org? Was it a Dial-A-Song? The DAS version of "Birdhouse In Your Soul" is weird. How much cake can you eat? Okay, I suppose that's enough for now. Good night. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:57:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Power of Dial-A-Song (and your call is next!) << How much cake can you eat? >> A lot! hehe I love that song...I'll never forgive 'em for not putting it on Then Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:25:52 -0500 From: Kareem Badr Message-ID: <37E473E0.864F3A0@mail.utexas.edu> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG Bugs Shirt Does anyone know where I can get the TMBG bugs/dial-a-song shirt? I am looking for the shirt in an off-white color, rather than the gray one that's available at concerts and through the catalog. I bought the white one around 3 years ago at a show and SOMEHOW my mother through it out when I was home from school for the summer (damn her!!!) The shirt has a lot of sentimental value to me (I was wearing it the day that I met my girlfriend, who is a huge TMBG fan...not than any of you care about any of that.) Anyway, if anyone knows of any store (online or otherwise) that has the shirt I would REALLY appreciate it if you could tell me. Thanks. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <65a78a1a.2515d35d@aol.com> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 01:49:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Bugs Shirt In a message dated 9/19/99 1:31:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, spamneggs@mail.utexas.edu writes: << Does anyone know where I can get the TMBG bugs/dial-a-song shirt? I am looking for the shirt in an off-white color, rather than the gray one that's available at concerts and through the catalog. I bought the white one around 3 years ago at a show and SOMEHOW my mother through it out when I was home from school for the summer (damn her!!!) The shirt has a lot of sentimental value to me (I was wearing it the day that I met my girlfriend, who is a huge TMBG fan...not than any of you care about any of that.) Anyway, if anyone knows of any store (online or otherwise) that has the shirt I would REALLY appreciate it if you could tell me. Thanks. >> Hi there: Operator Dot said you can order the off-white shirt you described through the Info Club...it is only available in XL, and when you order it, just be sure to specify that you want it in off-white. It costs $16, plus $5 shipping. Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-19 ******************************