Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 27 Monday, 27 September 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Pink album question Re: TMBG: Pink album question TMBG: I Just Realized Something... TMBG: state songs Re: TMBG: state songs TMBG: Hello '96 & You Were Spiraling Re: TMBG: Hello '96 & You Were Spiraling TMBG: TMBG-people TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: TMBG-people Re: TMBG: Hello '96 & You Were Spiraling TMBG: The Vegas show Re: TMBG: Hello '96 & You Were Spiraling Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 22:08:47 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19990709012731.1b27461c@mail.hinet.net.au> From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Pink album question Hello all, Can anyone tell me the difference between the album and single versions of "Don't Let's Start"? I have compared the versions on Misc T, Then, the Pink Album CD, the US Pink Album vinyl, the Australian Pink Album vinyl, the UK 7" single and the US 12" single and I can't hear a blind bit of difference between any of them. Can someone tell me the specific difference (if it exists) between the single and album versions of DLS? Thanks, Ryan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 09:48:22 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Pink album question Message-ID: <19990926.095834.9742.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >Can anyone tell me the difference between the album and single versions of >"Don't Let's Start"? I have compared the versions on Misc T, Then, the Pink >Album CD, the US Pink Album vinyl, the Australian Pink Album vinyl, the UK >7" single and the US 12" single and I can't hear a blind bit of difference >between any of them. Can someone tell me the specific difference (if it >exists) between the single and album versions of DLS? Well, straining my memory just a tad as I don't feel like getting up and listening to Misc T and the Pink Album, I believe the music during the "I don't want to live in this world anymore" part on the Misc T version is a bit different. Otherwise, I think they're pretty much the same. I don't know about the rest of all those though, beings I don't have them. ever-sincere, eriKa, off to watch Pokemon! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <98a79cfe.251fbfc5@aol.com> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:28:21 EDT Subject: TMBG: I Just Realized Something... I'm not sure if an exact date of release has been mentioned for the Austin Powers II Soundtrack (that includes TMBG's "Dr. Evil") yet, but it has just come to my attention that the day it will be released, October 26th, is the same release date for John Linnell's "State Songs" album on Rounder Records. Two anticipated albums on the same day...be still my heart :-) You can pre-order the Austin Powers II album at amazon.com right now, though... Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:00:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: state songs you can preorder state songs from cdnow.com. just type in john linnell. it's on tape, but i have a feeling this will be a rare item so y'all should reserve it even if it's a crappy old tape. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990926220239.89567.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:02:39 PDT MrBean43 wrote: >you can preorder state songs from cdnow.com. just type in john >linnell. > >it's on tape, but i have a feeling this will be a rare item so y'all > >should reserve it even if it's a crappy old tape. Only on tape? A rare item? I hope CDNow just hasn't received all the details yet. Otherwise, I'd say that Rounder Records, or whoever was in charge of the release, gave poor Mr. Linnell and his fans a lousy deal. At present, I'd opt for CDNow not having all of the information, because I seem to remember a press release referring to the CD version of State Songs. This still begs the question of why the tape would be offered first, though. Is this common practice for CDNow? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990926231817.77993.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Justin Smith" Subject: TMBG: Hello '96 & You Were Spiraling Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:18:16 PDT Okay, this isn't *totally* on topic, but it has been bugging me since the Dallas TMBG show so I'll ask anyway. The opening band as was You Were Spiraling (which you already know if you read my review of the concert almost a week ago.) They were selling two CDs there, their self titled album and their Hello CD of the Month Club album. I already had the Hello album but I decided to pick up another copy since it is becoming well worn. The CD they were selling is blue and has a totally different cover from the green one that was pretty much uniform for all of Hello '96. So what I'm wondering is, did they do a reprint of the Hello CD or where there two different series that got sent out to subscribers way back when? And speaking of Hello '96, who the heck is this Hal Sirowitz guy? A good while ago, Danielle wrote: >Just for clarification, you were the tall guy in the Cake >shirt, right? I was the dark-haired girl in the blue dress. Yes I am! Sorry it took so long to answer you! :) -justin (who has very bad grammer and spelling for someone at a private liberal arts university) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:08:02 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello '96 & You Were Spiraling Message-ID: <19990926.203001.-833653.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > And speaking of Hello '96, who the heck is this Hal Sirowitz guy? OK, so the hello cd of the month club was basically an outlet for a lot of NYC/area based artists to release some of their material. as long as we've got that out of the way... Hal Sirowitz is a poet. He reads his poetry around the city occasionally and I'm sure Flansy or marjorie galen heard him somewhere and asked him to record it for one of the cd of the month club selections. Anyways, I know he's written at least one book of poetry (right?) and well yeah, he's making an appearance at this book store which can mean one of a few things - he's actually reading (which would be super duper awesome), he's promoting a book (old or new?), he's promoting shows, or he's signing stuff. or a mix of any of the above. i dunno, i'm also pretty sure that he's opened up for mono puff a couple of times (but not positive). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use -- Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web! Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh. ------------------------------ From: deuels@juno.com Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:37:44 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG-people Message-ID: <19990926.204341.-278359.7.deuels@juno.com> hello my name is mike i have recived the mailing list since about january and i have some things to say. 1. i think that it is a really great thing to have so many people from all around the country writing in about TMBG(who are indeed my favorite band). Every day when i check my e-mail i look forward to reading letters from other fans, reading fans bicker back and forth, and just learning new things not only about TMBG but about other bands also. 2. They might be giants for me has always been a way to escape the real world and enter a different alternate universe. when life gets overwhelming i just put in a CD and everything else goes away. TMBG have gotten me through every thing that has ever caused me pain and also pleasure. 3. having all there cds as well as most of the other memorabilia(t-shirts,hat,etc) i find myself constantly bombarded with questions from my friends like who is that? is that a band? and i must say about 75% of my freinds have heard a TMBG song butjust didn't know it was them mostly istanbul or partical man. but it makes me feel good to put in a cd thinking of a friends first expierience with TMBG and cdome to find that they have heard songs by them. well thank you for reading and if anyone would like to add things i would like that alot mike deuel oh yeh i have recently injured myself on the job and i must say TMBG is excellent for pain relief also. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ up until a few weeks ago i believed ngfl or nice guys finish last. now i know we dont finish last it just takes a little longer cause we actually care about people. the reltionships i have built are more important to me than any one night stand would ever be. love william michael Deuel '99 ------------------------------ From: CurlyMan4@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:02:44 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG Can some one send me the tmbg list #21-26. Thank You, that is all ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <4533204.25201fb3@aol.com> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:17:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-people In a message dated 9/26/99 8:49:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, deuels@juno.com writes: << hello my name is mike i have recived the mailing list since about january and i have some things to say. >> Hi Mike :-) Thought I'd just post a little something to let you know that I really appreciated seeing such a positive letter in my mail box, as I'm feeling sort of down and moody today. I only wish we could be more communicative on a personal level on this list, without the fear of being occasionally offtopic. I feel it would really allow fans to get to know each other better, and would foster an environment of eager contribution by list members, rather than just band critiques, questions/answers about TMBG and news reports. I'm not saying that those last three things should stop -- I'm just saying that it seems a shame that the talk on this list ends up being restricted to mostly those last three things. So, Mike -- with the first sentence of this post, you learned that I appreciated your letter; with the rest of my post, you now hopefully understand more clearly *why* I liked it. Karen "always considering you all as my friends, do matter how much I may disagree with you on some things" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <2790c2de.25205334@aol.com> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 00:57:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello '96 & You Were Spiraling In a message dated 9/26/99 7:34:35 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: > Anyways, I >know he's written at least one book of poetry (right?) at least 2 that i know of. _mother said_ and _my therapist said_ . his books aren't that fun unless you've heard him read his poems aloud (like his hello cd), to get a feel for his style. sarah ------------------------------ From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: TMBG: The Vegas show Date: Mon, Sep 27 1999 1:02:22 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <05061893714798@tmbg.org> Was absolutely freakin' awesome! This was my first TMBG show, and I must say, it was all that and a bag o' chips! Before the show, which was being held at the Hard Rock Hotel, I has the pleasof having dinner with the list's very own Erich at the Hard Rock Cafe. He's a very cool guy. Then we went to go wait in line for the show. We got there early so that we could get the best spots possible. There I met with another list member, Jessica Schlieger(sp?). Erich, Jessica, a few of their friends and I all had delightful conversation, until it was time to enter. We got right up front, literally leaning against the stage. It was so awesome, knowing that in a little while, the Johns would standing right in front of me. The opening act, whom we all know is the very talented You Were Spiraling, is absolutely awesome! As soon as I finish this letter, I'm heading over to their site for info on how to get their C.D. That's one band that's definetly going places. Anyway, after their set, the almighty Johns came on. It was so cool! I was on Linnell's side. He was standing right in front of me! The show was awesome. They sounded great, interacted with the crowd, did alot of stuff on stage, it was just great. I had heard so many stories of what it's like at their live shows, and I was so glad you finally be at one. They're such cool guys, and it was cool to see them in person. They're really funny on stage, too. And my ears are still ringing as a result of standing right next to the speaker. One thing that seemed rather odd was that all but one of the Dans was their. Mr. Weinkauf was absent, but I was rather pleased to see that none other than former TMBG bassist Graham Maby was playing for 'em. So, did Dan leave the band or something? Is Graham a permanent replacement? Well, after the show, I chatted a little with the drummer and bassist from You Were Spiraling. They're pretty cool. The drummer complimented my shirt. I complimented his performance, and then I headed back to my hotel. I'm back home in sunny CA, where I should be preparing to attend the House of Blues shows (damn 21+ rule). Anyway, all and all, it was an awesome first show for me, and I can't wait till the next one. Love? What do you know of love?! Dexter M. Flansburgh * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <2790c2e3.25205bc2@aol.com> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 01:33:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello '96 & You Were Spiraling In a message dated 9/27/99 12:00:09 AM, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: > his >books aren't that fun unless you've heard him read his poems aloud (like >his >hello cd), to get a feel for his style. > woah, i meant they're not *as* fun. they're stull funny.. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-27 ******************************