Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 29 Wednesday, 29 September 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: John Henry 2 disc set? TMBG: They Might Be Giants concert in Chicago Re: TMBG: John Henry 2 disc set? TMBG: A little about the L.A. HOB show Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants concert in Chicago Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants concert in Chicago Re: TMBG: E! lies to me TMBG: Re: Vegas Show!!! TMBG: Live in new york, dr. spock, etc... TMBG: hello? Re: TMBG: hello? TMBG: vegas show Re: TMBG: HOB shows Re: TMBG: HOB shows Re: TMBG: HOB shows TMBG: Flansburgh in new Spin (film at 11) TMBG: you were spiraling cd Re: TMBG: you were spiraling cd TMBG: Irving Plaza show link on TMBG.com Re: TMBG: you were spiraling cd Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza show link on TMBG.com Re: TMBG: Flansburgh in new Spin (film at 11) Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza show link on TMBG.com Re: TMBG: Flansburgh in new Spin (film at 11) Re: TMBG: vegas show Re: TMBG: HOB shows Re: TMBG: hello? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <624ad3c5.2521bfd6@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:53:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: John Henry 2 disc set? i'm at cd now.com and they're selling a 2 disc set of john henry. are the extra songs mostly off of STD? how are twisting dont lets start and statue got me high? ------------------------------ From: CurlyMan4@aol.com Message-ID: <866407a3.25220cc0@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:21:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants concert in Chicago Is any one going to the concert in chicago? Steven "Curly" Stryker Visit my site at angelfire.com/il2/thecritic/index.html THE CRITIC ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990928082701.009588c0@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:41:24 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry 2 disc set? Out of the 6 songs on that disc: Don't Let's Start: probably the worst performance of this song I've heard. Linnell's singing almost turns into screaming at some points, the keyboard is way too high in the mix and sounds rather tinny, and...well, it's just not good. :-) Ana Ng: the same as STD (well, aside from the "I don't want the world" bit, which was redone for STD) Particle Man: not the same as the STD version, but a rather good performance, I thought. Statue Got Me High: another great version, and I love how Linnell introduces the song (not sure if the intro is on the 6-track version) Birdhouse In Your Soul: the STD version has been remixed, but it's the same performance (still very good) Twistin': I still hate the way Linnell's keyboard sounds, but it's a very energetic performance...one of the best I've heard of this song, although I like it better with the accordion. If you already have John Henry, I'd recommend skipping the 2-disc version and just getting a CD-R of the 26-track version of Live!! NYC from someone on the list...or maybe a shorter version, if someone's edited out all the parts with Donna Donna. ;-) -Adam At 02:53 AM 9/28/99 -0400, Gegatron@aol.com wrote: >i'm at cd now.com and they're selling a 2 disc set of john henry. are the >extra songs mostly off of STD? how are twisting dont lets start and statue >got me high? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F0C47A.E143179F@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 06:37:03 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: A little about the L.A. HOB show The Monday show at the L.A. HOB was excellent. In fact it might have the best TMBG show I've ever attended (this was my sixth). They put a lot of energy into everything. It was great to hear them do Letterbox. They even did Mr. Klaw. They promised that Tuesday's show will feature all different songs. (Although I imagine they'll still do the "hits".) Flans also said They (and Robin) will be doing Dr. Evil on Tuesday. Seems like They always mention the Internet at their shows now. Linnell said a little something about bootlegs being traded on the Net. He said that he often sees people in the audience lip synching the words to songs they haven't released yet. But he didn't seem too bothered by it. Speaking of lip synching, the puppet heads performed Counterfeit Faker The opening band, You Were Spiraling were very impressive. I got all three of there CDs at the show (for just $20). Too bad I work nights because I'd like to go to the Tuesday show. Hmmmm... might have to call in sick. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990928144935.73918.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants concert in Chicago Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:49:35 PDT Steven "Curly" Stryker wrote: >Is any one going to the concert in chicago? No. The Johns are going to being playing in front of an empty room. Not even the Dans will be there. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan, who is required by law to make this joke every time someone asks such a question DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990928145908.2086.rocketmail@web303.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:59:08 -0700 (PDT) From: Christine Sinacore Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants concert in Chicago I will be there!!! Christine --- CurlyMan4@aol.com wrote: > Is any one going to the concert in chicago? > > > > Steven "Curly" Stryker > > > > Visit my site at > angelfire.com/il2/thecritic/index.html > > HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/il2/thecritic/index.html">THE > > CRITIC > __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:28:43 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37F0ECBB.8F577EB7@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: E! lies to me David Bowie was in fact Jarath, The Goblin King. I love that movie. -A Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Spencer Owen wrote: > > >(this is paraphrasing) > > > > > >"david bowie just made history by releasing the first ever album > > > >avilable only for download" > > He was the guy who played the goblin king on Labyrinth, right? Or was he > one of the defenders of the Alamo? > > >Except, that makes you wonder...why wasn't TMBG so widely publicized >for > >making history that was, in some cases, even more relevant? > > Because history is written by the victors, and by the David Bowie fans. > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:35:18 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37F0EE46.56CB20F0@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Vegas Show!!! The first TMBG show that I went to I was in front of Linnell. I was warned about how Linnell tends to stare at audiance members, being the parinoid freak that I am. So here I am, front row with Linnell looking me dead in the eyes. So, I stared back. After almost an entire song of the two of us staring at each other, I made a silly face at him. He laughed at me. WOOHOO! Linnell laughed at me. YAY! Theres my little story. :o) -A also > had the extreme pleasure of having Linnell move over and stand directly > above me while he was playing the accordian...he was soooo close (we're > talking 6 inches here) I could have touched his feet (but I didn't because > that probably would've disturbed him), and I absolutely swear he smiled at > me...John Linnell SMILED...at ME!! AHHHH! I'm still in a daze!! ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <5a59cc9f.2522872e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:03:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: Live in new york, dr. spock, etc... I'm looking to get my hands on some tmbg bootlegs, and i've come to realize that very few people on the internet just give you something without you giving them something. Well, I don't have anything to give out. If anyone on this list has a bootleg they would be willing to copy and mail to me (i can send you the tape or cd) I'd apreciate that...alot. Im mainly looking for dr. spock and live in nyc, but anything anyone would be willing to copy for me would be awesome. (i mean anything that sounds good.) And of course I can give you some money for shipping costs. mrbean43@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001d01bf09f9$f8f55e80$f15e2ace@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: hello? Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:39:37 -0700 Did this list get killed while i was gone in Vegas watching they might be giants hitting the stage over and over again???? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <8b15e9ac.25229683@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:09:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: hello? In a message dated 9/28/99 5:41:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cannon10@ca.freei.net writes: << Did this list get killed while i was gone in Vegas watching they might be giants hitting the stage over and over again???? -=eRiCh=- >> Hi there :-) It has been pretty quiet on here lately, hasn't it? I'm wondering what you meant by the Johns "hitting the stage over and over again?" Like Linnell hitting the ground with his fist in the "Don't Let's Start" video, right? :-) Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990928224449.31668.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: TMBG: vegas show Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:44:48 PDT ====== also had the extreme pleasure of having Linnell move over and stand directly above me while he was playing the accordian...he was soooo close (we're talking 6 inches here) I could have touched his feet (but I didn't because that probably would've disturbed him), and I absolutely swear he smiled at me...John Linnell SMILED...at ME!! AHHHH! I'm still in a daze!! ====== =) I know the feeling. I just saw Bis on Friday night and John Disco's big feet were so close I could've grabbed his leg and held on until a bouncer beat me senseless. I didn't though because yes, it's a creepy and disturbing thing. Also, when I saw TMBG at the Fairfax Fair I could've sworn I made eye contact with Linnell a few times... or maybe he was just squinting. Ha ha! ~~~~~~~ -KeembearLEE "I said GOD DAMN!!!" http://visitweb.com/keembearlee ~~~~~~~ I'm kicking your ass with the funk. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:57:23 -0700 (PDT) From: winningh Subject: Re: TMBG: HOB shows Message-ID: My roommate went (grrr, under 21) and she was somewhat saddened cuz they made it kinda clear that they were somewhat nervous of LA and kept hiding behind the drums- probably cause Wierd Al was in the audience in his new Michael Bolton look and, very bravely for someone in the middle of a dance-floor, thong sandals. Sarah lurky Winningham ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:59:55 -0700 (PDT) From: winningh Subject: Re: TMBG: HOB shows Message-ID: My roommate went to Monday's show, (grrr, me under 21) and she was somewhat saddened cuz they made it kinda clear that they were somewhat nervous of LA and kept hiding behind the drums- probably cause Wierd Al was in the audience in his new Michael Bolton look and, very bravely for someone in the middle of a dance-floor, thong sandals. Sarah lurky Winningham ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:02:17 -0700 (PDT) From: winningh Subject: Re: TMBG: HOB shows Message-ID: oops. Sorry for sending that twice. Sarah W. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990929000734.16784.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "More fun than a barrel of Junkies" Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh in new Spin (film at 11) Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:07:33 CDT A quote by John Flansburgh appears in the new issue of Spin on page 160 concerning mp3s Quote (re-typed without permission for y'all without Spin) "People from the record industry talk about putting some sort of code on MP3s that wouldn't let people duplicate them, and that seems as appropriate as running into the middle of a rave and telling people to turn the music down. The free exchange is part of the culture" Now I wouldn't interperet this as "FREE DISTRIBUTION OF TMBG MP3S", but it is an interesting perspective seeing as They released an MP3 album, and will probably do so again, and They're not interested in proprietary music encryption. Sweet Stuff Second, on the same issue, the cover story is for Tori Amos "and rock's most passionate cult". I thought Giants listeners were rock's most passionate cult. Who do those faerie people think they are taking our coveted cult status. Bjorky ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:02:13 EDT Subject: TMBG: you were spiraling cd anyone know where on the internet i can order you were spiraling's cd? i cant find it anywhere!!! help me! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990928203217.00950b20@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:32:31 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: you were spiraling cd There's always www.youwerespiraling.com :-) -Adam At 08:02 PM 9/28/99 -0400, Gegatron@aol.com wrote: >anyone know where on the internet i can order you were spiraling's cd? i >cant find it anywhere!!! help me! ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <1ae8aa1c.2522b95a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:37:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza show link on TMBG.com Hi everyone, There's a link to the 7/19/99 Irving Plaza show in NYC on the main page of www. tmbg.com. It says "steaming video," but I think it's the steaming audio version...if I'm wrong about that, please someone correct me. Karen Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: you were spiraling cd Date: Tue, Sep 28 1999 21:11:31 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <01152685939328@tmbg.org> Speaking of You Were Spiraling, I saw them at the Vegas show, and thought they were just awesome! I have to get one of their C.D.s. But my question is: Which one should I get? Which does everyone reccomend? > >From: Adam Tyner >Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:32:31 -0400 >To: Gegatron@aol.com, tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: you were spiraling cd > >There's always www.youwerespiraling.com :-) > >-Adam > >At 08:02 PM 9/28/99 -0400, Gegatron@aol.com wrote: >>anyone know where on the internet i can order you were spiraling's cd? i >>cant find it anywhere!!! help me! > > > * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <37d15373.2522c110@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:10:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza show link on TMBG.com In a message dated 9/28/99 8:58:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MuseKJ@aol.com writes: << There's a link to the 7/19/99 Irving Plaza show in NYC on the main page of www. tmbg.com. It says "steaming video," but I think it's the steaming audio version...if I'm wrong about that, please someone correct me. >> Good grief, how about I correct myself? I wrote the above note in haste, before I had to go pick up my son, and ended up with "steaming video and audio" instead of "streaming" :-) Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990929013205.17104.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh in new Spin (film at 11) Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:32:05 PDT Bjorky wrote: >Second, on the same issue, the cover story is for Tori Amos "and rock's >most >passionate cult". I thought Giants listeners were rock's most passionate >cult. What about those people who killed themselves when the meteor came? Weren't they rock's most passionate cult? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan, Master of Terrible Puns DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990929013717.96152.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza show link on TMBG.com Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:37:17 PDT Karen Riley wrote: >I wrote the above note in haste, >before I had to go pick up my son, and ended up with "steaming video >and >audio" instead of "streaming" :-) That's good. Steaming audio would probably short out my processor. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <1ca3e004.2522cdcd@aol.com> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:05:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh in new Spin (film at 11) > What about those people who killed themselves when the meteor came? Weren't > they rock's most passionate cult? Sssssss! Booooooooo! *throws rotten vegetables* Lydia Defending all things sacred and holy since 1837. Oy, wit da PUNS! ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:05:49 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: vegas show Message-ID: <19990928.220704.-274005.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> > =) I know the feeling. I just saw Bis on Friday night and John > Disco's big > feet were so close I could've grabbed his leg and held on until a > bouncer > beat me senseless. Jsut thought i'd say that i saw bis last night and it was totally rockin! you should totally check the band out if you haven't already! and to make this TMBG related - the kid taking the tickets at the bowery ballroom looked exactly like john linnell - only younger - adn he was much nicer. ok i'm out. bye take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use -- Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web! Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:00:05 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: HOB shows Message-ID: <19990929.010027.-942289.1.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:58:18 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: hello? Message-ID: <19990929.010027.-942289.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf that a quote from the infamous countdown that was played right before a show during the john henry tour. it was number two, i believe, but i'm probably wrong. adam * ------------------------------------------------------- "Dudeical" - Marni Levy > Hi there :-) It has been pretty quiet on here lately, hasn't it? I'm > > wondering what you meant by the Johns "hitting the stage over and > over > again?" Like Linnell hitting the ground with his fist in the "Don't > Let's > Start" video, right? :-) > > Karen :-) > MuseKJ@aol.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. superman75@juno.com> get out of town, al was actually there! i guess he was happy the finally came back to LA too. adam * ------------------------------------------------------- "Dudeical" - Marni Levy On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:57:23 -0700 (PDT) winningh writes: > My roommate went (grrr, under 21) and she was somewhat saddened cuz > they > made it kinda clear that they were somewhat nervous of LA and kept > hiding > behind the drums- probably cause Wierd Al was in the audience in his > new > Michael Bolton look and, very bravely for someone in the middle of a > dance-floor, thong sandals. > > Sarah lurky Winningham > > ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990929053625.75227.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: hello? Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:36:24 CDT Karen Riley wrote: >I'm > > > > wondering what you meant by the Johns "hitting the stage over and > > over > > again?" Like Linnell hitting the ground with his fist in the "Don't > > Let's > > Start" video, right? :-) > > > > Karen :-) > > MuseKJ@aol.com This line is from The Countdown, which was used before the John Henry tour. Another, slightly different (so I'm told) countdown was used for the John Henry tour. The original countdown is available on the TMBG FAQ at http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/faq/ . Kristina "We put the 'ass' in 'blasphemy'!" Panos http://www.goblinmag.com 16 Days 'Til We Come and Put the Smack Down! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-29 ******************************