Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 4 Saturday, 4 September 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Moon Germ Country Ballad TMBG: TMBG on NPR's ATC TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Brave New World TMBG: slit wrists Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Newport Show Re: TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Re: St. Louis Show!!!! Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Moon Germ Country Ballad Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: the Vegas show (again!) TMBG: feelings Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990903072433.2056.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: Re: TMBG: Moon Germ Country Ballad Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 07:24:32 GMT WAAAAH! I missed it as well...was so busy beating my scanner into submission I didn't realize what time it was till my mom came in to tell me good & bad news...SHE MISSED TAPING MOST OF IT!!! so...is anybody willing to copy their coveted copy? Julie :) >From: "Jay G." >Reply-To: "Jay G." >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Moon Germ Country Ballad >Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 00:51:45 -0500 > > wrote in message news:302fbb94.25009bb3@aol.com... > > > > > That was the best thing I've seen all day! You've gotta love that five > > > o'clock shadow on Linnell! Now *that's* sexxy, eh ladies? And > > > Flansy's fake beard! It just kept getting better! > > > > *breaks down into inconsolable fits of weeping* I MISSED IT! I wanted to > > remember it but when I looked up it was 10:30! OH THE ANGUISH! THE >PAIN!! > > And to make things WORSE, I had to go to the DENTIST today!!! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:45:41 -0500 From: "Steve Revare" Message-ID: <7qoir7$2msb$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG on NPR's ATC They Might Be Giants will be featured in a short story today on All Thing Considered. It's part of their Lost and Found Sounds series as they talk about new recording made on old equipment. I heard "I Can Hear You" on the promo this morning. -- Steve ------- Steven Lake Revare slrevare@blairlake.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 11:20:51 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37CFE752.4ECE98F7@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG:The Next Album I was just thinking about what the next TMBG album might bring and I sat down and tried to collate all the info I have on it: Songs we're sure (99%) that are going to be on it: Older (She Thinks She's) Edith Head Cyclops Rock Songs that have made an appearance in the last couple of years but didn't show up on LTW, ergo a good chance they might be on the next album: Working Undercover for the Man 4 of 2 It's So Loud In Here Thunderbird On The Drag And then there's: Unreliable Narrator Refered to in the Yahoo Chat before the emusic concert by JF as his favorite TMBG song, and that Linnell had just wrote it. Refereed to in Radio TMBG notes as the tentative title for the next album. The title itself seems like a pun. In other words, let me put it like an SAT analogy: Unreliable Narrator : TMBG's Next Album :: Insect Hospital : Factory Showroom I'm looking forward to hearing reports from the upcoming tour, I have a feeling that they will be road testing a lot of new material before going back into the studio to finish the album this fall/winter. Any other thoughts on this??? Peter -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: <5614b5a6.250147a2@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:47:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Argh I missed it too! Are they going to have anymore appearances on BNW? If they are, somebody should post a reminder the day of the show! Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <388603502.936374705452.JavaMail.root@web03_mc.mail.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:05:05 -0400 (EDT) From: atomic worm Subject: TMBG: slit wrists first, i'd like to welcome myself to the list. second, is anyone in the southeastern wisconsin area looking to make the trip to minnesota for the boyzes show up there? i'm looking to carpool or something. it's in october. a bomb was dropped on the worm, and he could play drums. charley hoehnen [drworm@mad.scientist.com] [hoehnen@uwm.edu] __________________________________________________ FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903162023.30663.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:20:22 PDT Peter Ohlert wrote: >I was just thinking about what the next TMBG album might bring and I >sat >down and tried to collate all the info I have on it: > >Songs we're sure (99%) that are going to be on it: >Older >(She Thinks She's) Edith Head >Cyclops Rock I think They've also mentioned that "Finished With Lies" and something called "Hovering Sombrero" were recorded for the album. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll show up on the album (especially if there's another Factory Showroom situation), but there's a good chance of it. >Songs that have made an appearance in the last couple of years but >didn't show up on LTW, ergo a good chance they might be on the next >album: >Working Undercover for the Man >4 of 2 >It's So Loud In Here >Thunderbird >On The Drag I think They've stated that these last three will be on the album, but I suppose no one knows for sure at this point. I think there's a good chance that "4 Of 2" won't be on the album, although I'd certainly like it to be. "Rest Awhile" is another possibility. Since the Dial-A-Song version only includes one verse, there's a good chance that They'll want to release a full version of this one. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903162347.39511.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:23:47 PDT Diana Kocar wrote: >Argh I missed it too! Are they going to have anymore appearances on >BNW? I believe They're due to appear one more time, at which time They'll perform a song about string theory. I'm not sure when this will be shown, though. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CFF710.67DCCB84@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:28:00 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Peter Ohlert wrote: > Songs that have made an appearance in the last couple of years but > didn't show up on LTW, ergo a good chance they might be on the next > album: > Working Undercover for the Man > 4 of 2 > It's So Loud In Here > Thunderbird > On The Drag plus Finished with Lies, Rest Awhile, and First Kiss (I doubt they'd leave us with *just* the live version of First Kiss) but 4 of 2... I like it, but if they want to dispel the "novelty" image, this song doesn't belong on an album. it's too strange. > And then there's: > Unreliable Narrator > Refered to in the Yahoo Chat before the emusic concert by JF as his > favorite TMBG song, and that Linnell had just wrote it. Refereed to in > Radio TMBG notes as the tentative title for the next album. The title > itself seems like a pun. In other words, let me put it like an SAT > analogy: > > Unreliable Narrator : TMBG's Next Album :: Insect Hospital : Factory > Showroom Or quite possibly just something they made up... actually, the references to Insect Hospital were in spring of 1997, which was after Factory Showroom was released. They had previously referred to FS as Alien Autopsy, but that was even more of a joke title than Insect Hospital was, I think. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903164854.61800.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:48:54 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >plus Finished with Lies, Rest Awhile, and First Kiss (I doubt they'd >leave >us with *just* the live version of First Kiss) I don't know. Live or not, it's a decent recording, and I don't think this one would be improved all that much in the studio. I guess it's up to the Johns whether or not They want to release another version of this, though. >but 4 of 2... I like it, but if they want to dispel the "novelty" >image, >this song doesn't belong on an album. it's too strange. I don't know that it's much stranger than many of Their songs, but it doesn't really sound like album material (unfortunately). >Or quite possibly just something they made up... Aren't most of Their songs "just something they made up"? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:48:36 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37CFFBE4.2254EDF0@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > plus Finished with Lies, Rest Awhile, and First Kiss (I doubt they'd leave us > with *just* the live version of First Kiss) > Finished with Lies and Rest Awhile are definate possibilites, but I think Frist Kiss will only be a live album thing. I really don't see them doing a studio version of this for the next album, simply because the song doesn't have great depth, nor did it seem to get the huge audience reaction of songs like Older. > > but 4 of 2... I like it, but if they want to dispel the "novelty" image, this > song doesn't belong on an album. it's too strange. > > I really enjoy 4 of 2. Unlike a lot of their dial-a-song stuff, this seems to be a completly formed song (as opposed to some of the dial-a-song stuff sounding more embryonic). The reason I think its a candidate for the next album is that it would have been perfect on LTW, so the only reason I see them leaving it off is that they are saving it for their next album. > > > Or quite possibly just something they made up... actually, the references to > Insect Hospital were in spring of 1997, which was after Factory Showroom was > released. They had previously referred to FS as Alien Autopsy, but that was > even more of a joke title than Insect Hospital was, I think. > My bad. I started reading the newsgroups and lists about that time and I got the impression that Insect Hospital was a rumored title for FS, when in fact it was a rumored title for their next project... I really like their throwaway titles and can't decide that if I ever put out an album wether I'll steal one of those (Millenium One, Alien Autopsy, Insect Hospital, Unreliable Narrator) or this list's own Matt's Life Savings...(tho' I was thinking about Leffel's Life Savings b/c I like the alliteration) Peter -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:54:06 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37CFFD2D.F829F0EE@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I think They've also mentioned that "Finished With Lies" and something > called "Hovering Sombrero" were recorded for the album. That doesn't > necessarily mean they'll show up on the album (especially if there's another > Factory Showroom situation), but there's a good chance of it. > Isn't Hovering Sombrero another rumoured album and/or song title that has never actually appeared as a song? > > > I think They've stated that these last three will be on the album, but I > suppose no one knows for sure at this point. I think there's a good chance > that "4 Of 2" won't be on the album, although I'd certainly like it to be. > > "Rest Awhile" is another possibility. Since the Dial-A-Song version only > includes one verse, there's a good chance that They'll want to release a > full version of this one. Yeah, Rest Awhile and Finished with Lies are definate adds to the Probably list. As for 4 of 2, I think I'm going to start my own "Put 4 of 2 on the next album booster club!" p.s. I think we should start abbrevating The Next Album: "TnA"... ~s Peter -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CFFDDE.C50692E3@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:57:02 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I don't know. Live or not, it's a decent recording, and I don't think this > one would be improved all that much in the studio. I guess it's up to the > Johns whether or not They want to release another version of this, though. I have a philosophical objection to releasing an original song only live. What Fruvous did with Jockey Full of Bourbon and Psycho Killer was fine, since they aren't their songs, and they only exist at the live show, but if a band writes a song, they should release a studio version of it if they release it at all. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903172114.1448.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:21:11 PDT Peter Ohlert wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > I think They've also mentioned that "Finished With Lies" and something > > called "Hovering Sombrero" were recorded for the album. That doesn't > > necessarily mean they'll show up on the album (especially if there's >another > > Factory Showroom situation), but there's a good chance of it. > > > >Isn't Hovering Sombrero another rumoured album and/or song title that >has >never actually appeared as a song? In the last Info Club newsletter, this was mentioned as one of the songs that They recorded for the next album. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, I suppose, but I'm not sure I'd consider it a "rumour" as such, since it appeared as official TMBG news. And no, I've never heard "Hovering Sombrero" used as a tentative title for the next album. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903172536.40302.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:25:35 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > I don't know. Live or not, it's a decent recording, and I don't think >this > > one would be improved all that much in the studio. I guess it's up to >the > > Johns whether or not They want to release another version of this, >though. > >I have a philosophical objection to releasing an original song only live. >What Fruvous did with Jockey Full of Bourbon and Psycho Killer was fine, >since >they aren't their songs, and they only exist at the live show, but if a >band >writes a song, they should release a studio version of it if they >release >it at all. I assume you're not including improvisational songs, since you didn't suggest that They should record studio versions of the Planet of the Apes songs, or that "The Lowest Highest Point" should appear on the next Fruvous album. Personally, I don't see much wrong with a song only being done live; it gives a nice bonus to people who buy the live album, and it probably saves on funds for the band. I suppose it's the Johns' feelings on this that will affect whether or not "First Kiss" will ever appear in studio form, though. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D0085B.FF6003D0@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:41:47 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I assume you're not including improvisational songs, since you didn't > suggest that They should record studio versions of the Planet of the Apes > songs, or that "The Lowest Highest Point" should appear on the next Fruvous > album. Personally, I don't see much wrong with a song only being done live; > it gives a nice bonus to people who buy the live album, and it probably > saves on funds for the band. I suppose it's the Johns' feelings on this > that will affect whether or not "First Kiss" will ever appear in studio > form, though. oh, great. that means we'll never hear it, since the Johns' judgement has become increasingly bad since about 1995. If the next album is as bad as Severe Tire Damage, they're likely to lose a lot of fans. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903180029.43562.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 11:00:29 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >If the next album is as bad as Severe Tire Damage, they're likely to >lose >a lot of fans. Perhaps. Even if the next album sucks (which I'm certainly hoping it won't), I'll still consider myself a fan, though. In order for me not to be a fan anymore, I'd have to stop liking Their earlier stuff, too. I think the greater danger is that people won't buy any future releases by TMBG (which might be what you were trying to say). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D00EEE.3D2C686E@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:09:50 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Perhaps. Even if the next album sucks (which I'm certainly hoping it > won't), I'll still consider myself a fan, though. In order for me not to be > a fan anymore, I'd have to stop liking Their earlier stuff, too. I think > the greater danger is that people won't buy any future releases by TMBG > (which might be what you were trying to say). yeah. I'll still listen to their earlier stuff, but if they show me that they are unable to produce a good record now, I won't keep buying them. Kind of like what BNL did to their fans with Stunt. I hear so many people say "I like early BNL, but not Stunt..." now... -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <352e6c0b.2501690c@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:10:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album What about sensurround? ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:23:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/1999 2:02:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << >If the next album is as bad as Severe Tire Damage, they're likely to >lose >a lot of fans. >> Excuse me, but what was wrong with Severe Tire Damage?! First of all, you can't judge it like a real album because it only had 3 studio recordings, and only one of them can be considered a real song (Dr. Worm). I really don't have a second point, sorry. I'm just real surprised that you can say it's a bad album....it's not an album, it's like a concert! If you like the band, than you probably enjoy their concerts, and you should in turn like STD, because it's a concert! (almost....) I'd just like to know why you didn't enjoy STD. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:55:47 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37D019B3.4B5A27A5@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > >If the next album is as bad as Severe Tire Damage, they're likely to >lose > >a lot of fans. > > Perhaps. Even if the next album sucks (which I'm certainly hoping it > won't), I'll still consider myself a fan, though. In order for me not to be > a fan anymore, I'd have to stop liking Their earlier stuff, too. I think > the greater danger is that people won't buy any future releases by TMBG > (which might be what you were trying to say). I have to say from what we've said here about what we know is about a 1/3 of the new album, im not all that impressed. However I have only heard some the new songs from live versions, and I have found I liked the songs a lot more when I heard the studio version. They can really work some magic into their music with their arrangements. This is part of the reason, I think, a lot of people feel they have, to a certian extent gone downhill in the quality department since apollo 18. That is: in the studio they now have a backing band, they dont get to create as often the weird but fantastic backing tracks that is so indicative of their earlier work. I think it may be a result of the fact that after apollo 18 they both started solo work. JF with Hello, Mono Puff, and video direction; JL with his Hello projects and producing offspring (no, not the band) and now State Songs. Especially with all the stuff they have their hands in now and with the focus after apollo 18 on putting on great live shows, all their creative effort in no longer going only into TMBG albums. This, I do not think, is a bad thing, however its effect is noticable on their albums. Peter -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D01BFF.1B4861D6@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:05:35 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album MrBean43@aol.com gave us this wonderful piece of illogic: > Excuse me, but what was wrong with Severe Tire Damage?! First of all, you > can't judge it like a real album because it only had 3 studio recordings, and > only one of them can be considered a real song (Dr. Worm). I really don't > have a second point, sorry. I'm just real surprised that you can say it's a > bad album....it's not an album, it's like a concert! If you like the band, > than you probably enjoy their concerts, and you should in turn like STD, > because it's a concert! (almost....) hardly. they completely failed at making a live album, and it's nothing at all like a concert. the concerts *I* go to have an audience; they also tend to have talking - from the band, that is. STD is neither a live album nor a studio album. It's a waste, is what it is. Putting studio material on a live album is stupid, and considerably more so than putting one or two live tracks on a regular album (which has been done by lots of people, and is somewhat ok). The recordings on STD are dry, uninteresting, and have no life to them. I want a live album where I can actually feel like I'm therre, and actually picture what's going on. And for that, I can listen to a bootleg, which I can get for about $3 total (1 blank tape, $1.01 shipping). And I'm not just judging STD, either. Factory Showroom was half awful, too. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903150457.009554f0@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:07:41 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album They've written a lot of great songs since the release of Factory Showroom, so I think the next album ought to be great if they use all the good stuff and leave off any filler. Of course, the chances of this happening are slim. ;-) I like most of the FS outtakes more than the majority of the material on FS...hopefully this won't happen again. As for First Kiss, which has been mentioned quite a bit today, I think it'll probably get the studio treatment, but only a b-side release. -Adam At 01:41 PM 9/3/99 -0400, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >If the next album is as bad as Severe Tire Damage, they're likely to lose a >lot of fans. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903151037.00953150@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:14:20 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album The flow from track to track is horrible. Even though Moxy Fruvous' "Live Noise" was recorded at a number of concerts, it really does have the feel of being at a show...I attribute this to the fact that it was engineered (for the most part) by the same people and mixed *brilliantly*. But the material on STD was culled from so many different sources that it sounds almost like some guy in his bedroom took a bunch of live tracks from the b-sides of various CD singles and put them on a CD together. It's so...random sounding. And whoever added in the Apes tracks needs to learn to normalize tracks. :-) I know a lot of those were audience-recorded, but geez, the volume difference is really annoying. -Adam At 03:05 PM 9/3/99 -0400, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >hardly. they completely failed at making a live album, and it's nothing at >all like a concert. the concerts *I* go to have an audience; they also tend >to have talking - from the band, that is. STD is neither a live album nor a >studio album. It's a waste, is what it is. Putting studio material on a live >album is stupid, and considerably more so than putting one or two live tracks >on a regular album (which has been done by lots of people, and is somewhat >ok). ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903191904.5161.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Stacky Acha" Subject: TMBG: Newport Show Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:19:04 EDT Hello all! Was anyone at the April show at the Newport in Columbus, Ohio? That was the last show I was at and I wondered if a bootleg of that show existed? Or where I could get it. I've been out of touch as a tmbg fan for almost half a year now (needed a breather - discovered the pixies, that sort of schite) Anyhoo, has anything drastically happened since last April? Is the new Mp3 any good? I hope the rest of their albums won't be strictly mp3's. Other bands might follow that trend and put a graphic designer like myself out of business. Acha ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:27:43 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Message-ID: <19990903.153019.9806.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >I believe They're due to appear one more time, at which time They'll perform >a song about string theory. I'm not sure when this will be shown, though. September 16. ever-sincere, eriKa, that's all I have to say! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! -- I liked Severe Tire Damage and all the BNW performances. I obviously must be a nutcase! WAH WAH WAH. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Coolfro38@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:42:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/99 3:06:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: << hardly. they completely failed at making a live album, and it's nothing at all like a concert. the concerts *I* go to have an audience; they also tend to have talking - from the band, that is. STD is neither a live album nor a studio album. It's a waste, is what it is. Putting studio material on a live album is stupid, and considerably more so than putting one or two live tracks on a regular album (which has been done by lots of people, and is somewhat ok). The recordings on STD are dry, uninteresting, and have no life to them. I want a live album where I can actually feel like I'm therre, and actually picture what's going on. And for that, I can listen to a bootleg, which I can get for about $3 total (1 blank tape, $1.01 shipping). And I'm not just judging STD, either. Factory Showroom was half awful, too. >> Okay, I guess that I can kind of see where you're going with Severe Tire Damage, but there was nothing wrong with Factory Showroom. Admittedly, it does not equal the likes of Flood or Apollo 18, but then what does? "James K. Polk" is one of by favourite (yes, I choose to use the British spelling) songs of Theirs. Have any of you thought it possible that They Might Be Giants may just be experimenting with different stuff? Consider it, it is very rare that albums of the same...uh...type or genre of Severe Tire Damage are released. It is possible that They're just doing what They've been doing. Perhaps, it didn't work out, but They Might Be Giants is still experimenting with new, inventive stuff. The "hidden" "Planet of the Apes" tracks, in my opinion, were great. There is nothing wrong with an inventive band experimenting with different album types. Look at Apollo 18, for instance...there were 21 "Fingertips" on it. Maybe you enjoyed the fingertips, maybe you did not. The point is not whether or not "Fingertips" was a cool concept, the point is that it was different. So was Severe Tire Damage. Respectfully, Jess ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903194946.25292.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:49:46 PDT >From: MrBean43@aol.com >Reply-To: MrBean43@aol.com >To: ohlert@icdc.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album >Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:10:20 EDT > >What about sensurround? What about "Careless Santa"? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Well, SOMEONE had to say it!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903200357.18175.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:03:57 PDT Peter Ohlert wrote: >This is part of the reason, I think, a lot of people feel >they have, to a certian extent gone downhill in the quality department >since >apollo 18. That is: in the studio they now have a backing band, they dont >get to >create as often the weird but fantastic backing tracks that is so > >indicative of their earlier work. There's probably something in this, but I don't think that the presence of a back-up band was really the most drastic change that the band has been through (at least as far as sound is concerned). I think that the music on _John Henry_ was, for the most part, a bit less upbeat and enthusiastic than that on Their earlier releases. This certainly isn't the case on every song. For instance, "No One Knows My Plan" is much more upbeat and enthusiastic than "If I Wasn't Shy." In general, though, the feeling of _John Henry_ seems to be a bit more dark and depressing, although it's not that easy to pinpoint why. That doesn't mean I don't like _John Henry_, but I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, while I can listen to Their earlier albums at pretty much any time. I don't think that the change in mood was really the fault of the full band. Besides, They don't have to use the full band on every song. Just listen to "Your Own Worst Enemy," for instance. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903201312.13201.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:13:12 PDT Adam Tyner wrote: >The flow from track to track is horrible. Even though Moxy Fruvous' "Live >Noise" was recorded at a number of concerts, it really does have the feel >of being at a show...I attribute this to the fact that it was engineered >(for the most part) by the same people and mixed *brilliantly*. Also, the Fruvous album included of the band's stage banter, instead of just songs. TMBG really isn't a live band in the sense that Their songs sound better live. There are a few that do, and two of them ("Particle Man" and "She's Actual Size") appear on _Severe Tire Damage_. For the most part, though, Their songs benefit from studio treatment. Therefore, a live album consisting entirely of songs probably wasn't a very good move for TMBG. They should probably have included more dialogue, and possibly some other elements to make it seem more like a live show (although I'm not sure what those elements would be). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:06:22 -0500 From: Laura Message-ID: <37D02A3E.B51E9260@connectria.com> Organization: no thank you Subject: TMBG: Re: St. Louis Show!!!! Oooh, aren't I slick, responding to my own posts? Well, anyway, is anyone at all planning on attending the St. Louis show? I only remember like one person who said to have gone to the last one in St. Louis......so I'm just wondering. Anyone?? LAURA ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:04:21 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: <19990903.161440.11486.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >>What about sensurround? >What about "Careless Santa"? What about Spitting Contest? ever-sincere, eriKa, Another one-sentence post! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D02C62.C174A757@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:15:30 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Coolfro38@aol.com wrote: > Okay, I guess that I can kind of see where you're going with Severe Tire > Damage, but there was nothing wrong with Factory Showroom. Admittedly, it > does not equal the likes of Flood or Apollo 18, but then what does? "James Um, John Henry does. John Henry is far better than any of those. > K. Polk" is one of by favourite (yes, I choose to use the British spelling) > songs of Theirs. Have any of you thought it possible that They Might Be > Giants may just be experimenting with different stuff? Consider it, it is No, I've thought about the fact that John Flansburgh has not only spread himself too thin writing for Mono Puff, but that his songwriting style is terrible. To give a basic rundown of the songs on Factory Showroom: S-E-X-X-Y: hate it TMHFO: Great! How Can I Sing Like a Girl?: awful Exquisite Dead Guy: pretty good Metal Detector: wonderful New York City: It's a cover, but they did a decent job with it Your Own Worst Enemy: not bad, but could be better XTC vs. Adam Ant: I'd rather puke up my intestines Spiraling Shape: One of Linnell's best works James K. Polk: I like the Istanbul version better, but this one is pretty good Pet Name: I'd rather listen to XTC vs. Adam Ant I Can Hear You: We Can Waste Our Fans Time The Bells are Ringing: Excellent song, I could listen to it all day long. > was a cool concept, the point is that it was different. So was Severe Tire > Damage. Severe Tire Damage was *not* innovative. I can't see any band with any sense at all taking after TMBG on this one. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903201938.71372.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:19:38 PDT eriKa wrote: >-- I liked Severe Tire Damage and all the BNW performances. I >obviously >must be a nutcase! WAH WAH WAH. Yes, but we knew that already. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00a101bef649$d2e4ad40$31dd7aa8@hostname.bu.edu> From: "Sarah Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:20:51 -0400 > >> That's ok. You can still hang with us. ;) Seriously, that's why I said >> *personal* identification. I'm certainly not trying to imply that all >> Linnell fans are Geminis, or even antisocial. I don't even think >> they're all atheists! > >I'm an atheist! But I'm a Sagittarius :P And I think that's REALLY cool so >ha! > I'm an atheist... and a Gemini.. and I'm antisocial!!! I think that makes me my own evil twin (and best friend)... But I'll rule the world some day, just like TMBG!!!! Buah ha ha... hoo. --John.. no wait, I mean Sarah... damn. _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903203119.93173.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:31:19 PDT Jess Coolfro wrote: >Okay, I guess that I can kind of see where you're going with Severe >Tire >Damage, but there was nothing wrong with Factory Showroom. What about the low number of songs, the fact that so much good stuff was left off (and sacrificed in favour of not-as-good stuff), and the dull, generic arrangements (particularly in songs with large Eric Schermurmurmerhorn parts)? Granted, you might not see anything wrong with these things, but some people here do. >Admittedly, it >does not equal the likes of Flood or Apollo 18, but then what does? Why, _Lincoln_, of course! >"James >K. Polk" is one of by favourite (yes, I choose to use the British > >spelling) songs of Theirs. Yes, I like that song, and it's one of my favourite FS tracks. It was written during the _Flood_ era, though, so it really isn't very good proof that They haven't been going downhill recently. >Have any of you thought it possible that They Might Be >Giants may just be experimenting with different stuff? Yes, I have. They've been doing that since the beginning, and I'm glad. Some of these experiments are bound to fail, though. >Consider it, it is >very rare that albums of the same...uh...type or genre of Severe Tire > >Damage are released. Most bands release live albums. I think it's best when a live album provides something that you can't get with a studio album, though, and _Severe Tire Damage_ doesn't do much of this. Really, there was very little experimentation associated with this album. You could probably consider the Planet of the Apes stuff to be experimental, but most of the re-recorded songs don't really qualify in that category. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Coolfro38@aol.com Message-ID: <84d58e79.250189fc@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:30:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/99 4:16:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: << Um, John Henry does. John Henry is far better than any of those. >> I'm not going to bother with arguing. My point is not that it was a GOOD concept, only that it was a new concept. If They Might Be Giants was just to put out the exact same studio recorded stuff everytime, it would get boring. Secondly, while good, _John Henry_ was released in 1994, which was inadvertantly AFTER _Apollo 18_, which was released in 1992. If it only got worse after Apollo 18, how is it possible that _John Henry_ is better? Plus, _Flood_ is better than either of them. As I was saying, the band doesn't really give a flying fuck whether you like it or not, that's what they're releasing. You can bitch and moan about it all you want, but unless you're sleeping with Flansburgh or Linnell (which I seriously doubt considering that you're a guy among other things) you can't do anything about it. Now, you can either say "Hey, this isn't half bad.", or you can say "Fuck this! I'm not listening to it and I'm not buying it." If you like it, buy it, if not, stop complaining and become yet another fan of They Might Be Giants's that doesn't buy any new albums. Either way, just stop crying. Thank you. That's all I have to say, GW ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005201bef64b$5f7c14e0$c5920fce@oemcomputer> From: "David P. Goncalves" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:31:58 -0400 > And I'm not just judging STD, either. Factory Showroom was half awful, > too. EVEN though Factory Showroom was my introduction to TMBG (anybody else?) and that Metal Detector is my favorite, I almost agree...it feels a bit cold...a very big departure from slap-on-the-back feeling I get listening to John Henry....that is my bit of illogic. Dave. - "Trianges are evil, they cut people" - anonymous. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903204255.56399.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:42:54 PDT eriKa wrote: > >>What about sensurround? > > >What about "Careless Santa"? > >What about Spitting Contest? What about Insect Hospital? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D03346.D8D5F2C7@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:44:54 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Coolfro38@aol.com wrote: > I'm not going to bother with arguing. My point is not that it was a GOOD > concept, only that it was a new concept. If They Might Be Giants was just to > put out the exact same studio recorded stuff everytime, it would get boring. > Secondly, while good, _John Henry_ was released in 1994, which was > inadvertantly AFTER > _Apollo 18_, which was released in 1992. If it only got worse after Apollo > 18, how is it possible that _John Henry_ is better? Plus, _Flood_ is better I never said anything about it getting worse after Apollo 18. I think it's gone completely downhill since John Henry, though. I actually think A18 is kind of weak as an album, but it still has a good number of great songs. > albums. Either way, just stop crying. Thank you. ah, so you're one of those people, eh? that is the absolute stupidest phrase I've ever heard. It shows that you can't argue your point without attempting to insult people. Nice try. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903204613.60629.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:46:13 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >I Can Hear You: We Can Waste Our Fans Time I think that this is an interesting and amusing song, but why is it an album track, especially when there were so many other songs that could have taken its place? Perhaps this should have been used as an EP track. It's much more of a novelty than "4 Of 2" is. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903204808.69764.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:48:08 CDT >Coolfro38@aol.com wrote: > > > Okay, I guess that I can kind of see where you're going with Severe Tire > > Damage, but there was nothing wrong with Factory Showroom. Admittedly, >it > > does not equal the likes of Flood or Apollo 18, but then what does? >"James > >Um, John Henry does. John Henry is far better than any of those. I couldn't agree with you more here. John Henry is Their best album, hands down. >No, I've thought about the fact that John Flansburgh has not only spread >himself too thin writing for Mono Puff, but that his songwriting style is >terrible. Amen. >To give a basic rundown of the songs on Factory Showroom: > >S-E-X-X-Y: hate it >TMHFO: Great! >How Can I Sing Like a Girl?: awful >Exquisite Dead Guy: pretty good >Metal Detector: wonderful >New York City: It's a cover, but they did a decent job with it >Your Own Worst Enemy: not bad, but could be better >XTC vs. Adam Ant: I'd rather puke up my intestines >Spiraling Shape: One of Linnell's best works >James K. Polk: I like the Istanbul version better, but this one is pretty >good >Pet Name: I'd rather listen to XTC vs. Adam Ant >I Can Hear You: We Can Waste Our Fans Time >The Bells are Ringing: Excellent song, I could listen to it all day long. I couldn't agree with you more. Weird. And FS was my first album. >Severe Tire Damage was *not* innovative. I can't see any band with any >sense >at all taking after TMBG on this one. Snuh. You win. Kristina 'I heart John Henry' Panos ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D03438.C7B5F7C7@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:48:56 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > eriKa wrote: > > >>What about sensurround? > > > > >What about "Careless Santa"? > > > >What about Spitting Contest? > > What about Insect Hospital? Don't forget Careless Santa! It's not quite TMBG, but isn't MonoPuff close enough? I thought so. - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903204930.58852.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Moon Germ Country Ballad Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:49:29 MDT Well, since THEY started out performing within NYC performance art circles in the early 80s...it must've affected THEIR brains in some odd fashion...! jEsSiCa ~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903205149.53403.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 13:51:49 PDT Coolfro wrote: >As I was saying, the band doesn't really give a flying >fuck whether you like it or not, that's what they're releasing. Well, the Johns generally do what They want on the albums, but I'm sure that the fans have a little bit of say, in the sense that they can choose not to buy a particular album. >Now, you can either say >"Hey, this isn't half bad.", or you can say "Fuck this! I'm not listening >to >it and I'm not buying it." If you like it, buy it, if not, stop >complaining >and become yet another fan of They Might Be Giants's that doesn't buy >any >new albums. Either way, just stop crying. Thank you. The last time I checked, this list was for discussion of TMBG. This discussion can be either positive or negative. Granted, the list seems to have taken on a generally negative tone recently, but, if someone doesn't like what the Johns have done recently, this is a very appropriate place to mention it. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903205245.29765.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: Re: TMBG: the Vegas show (again!) Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:52:45 MDT Well, I will be coming in midday on the 24th, so I'm planning to just enjoy Vegas for a night... I say we meet somewhere cool for breakfast or lunch, then go camp at the hard rock, as from what I understand, the show is general ad, standing room only, and I for one wanna be standing in the front! Any further ideas...mail me! jEsSiCa ~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0F4FE960EF7BD211B27B00104B95BF0B1DA64D@TDSCSERVER03> From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: feelings Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:55:40 -0400 You know, Lawrence, I've noticed that over the past 6 months or so (maybe even longer) you've really been holding back in your posts. Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? Amy :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903210056.15466.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:00:53 PDT Chad Maloney wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > > eriKa wrote: > > > >>What about sensurround? > > > > > > >What about "Careless Santa"? > > > > > >What about Spitting Contest? > > > > What about Insect Hospital? > >Don't forget Careless Santa! It's not quite TMBG, but isn't MonoPuff >close enough? I thought so. And, while we're mentioning Mono Puff songs, how about mentioning "Careless Santa"? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:57:18 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37D0362E.641A1889@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Jess Coolfro wrote: > >Okay, I guess that I can kind of see where you're going with Severe >Tire > >Damage, but there was nothing wrong with Factory Showroom. > What about the low number of songs, the fact that so much good stuff was > left off But then everyone would be complaining that the album was too long... I remember the last time this dark "I sure hate everything TMBG does" thread came up, and it's never pretty. If TMBG is out of creativity, then what do you all consider the "popular, top 40-ish" bands? Innovative? Bob "Until TMBG is recognized and loved by all the 'in' bands, I'll keep listening!" Scott I'll stay on the list, because I can stand to see constructive criticism, which some of you appear to utilize quite well for the Johns, but it just seems that so many of these posts are nothing but "Why didn't the Johns do this more like this? Why didn't they put the songs I liked on this album?" Well, I have 2 words for ya: CARELESS SANTA! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 18:23:01 GMT From: crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) Message-ID: <37d01179.8603399@news.mindspring.com> Organization: Mindspring Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Peter Ohlert wrote: >I was just thinking about what the next TMBG album might bring and I sat >down and tried to collate all the info I have on it: > >Songs we're sure (99%) that are going to be on it: >Older >(She Thinks She's) Edith Head >Cyclops Rock > >Songs that have made an appearance in the last couple of years but >didn't show up on LTW, ergo a good chance they might be on the next >album: >Working Undercover for the Man >4 of 2 The following 3 have also been confirmed to be on the next album (as of this moment, no guarantees!) >It's So Loud In Here >Thunderbird >On The Drag >And then there's: >Unreliable Narrator >Refered to in the Yahoo Chat before the emusic concert by JF as his >favorite TMBG song, and that Linnell had just wrote it. Refereed to in >Radio TMBG notes as the tentative title for the next album. The title >itself seems like a pun. In other words, let me put it like an SAT >analogy: > >Unreliable Narrator : TMBG's Next Album :: Insect Hospital : Factory >Showroom > >I'm looking forward to hearing reports from the upcoming tour, I have a >feeling that they will be road testing a lot of new material before >going back into the studio to finish the album this fall/winter. > >Any other thoughts on this??? > >Peter > >-- >****************** >Peter Ohlert >Web Developer >Internet Connect, Inc. >(877)GET-ICDC >ohlert@icdc.com > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:27:35 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: <19990903.172738.9230.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" I don't understand why practically everyone here seems to be so ... picky about everything. Here's my views: Brave New World: "Gee, King Weed kind of sucked. That moon germ song was weird." All I can say is that it's probably kind of damn hard to write songs about such topics. I mean, if someone came up to you and said, "Hey, we need you to write a song about how sparrows and white tail deer have an uncanny ability to survive, and then we need you to write one about that germ that lived in the camera on the moon for two years - oh, and after that, let's see you write one about string theory!" you'd probably be wondering what the hell kind of song you could make out of those delightful topics. I think they've done a damn good job so far. Not only do you have to write the song, but you have to put the showmanship in there too, and I think They've done a rather good job in both fields. It's not like they're going to put any of them (with the exception of perhaps Older) on an album, so henceforth, the songs don't have to sound like some studio track. Instead of sitting there and thinking, "Why are they doing a country song? This is lame," and feeling generally cranky, it's far more entertaining to laugh your ass of as I did, thinking, "FLANS IN A FAKE BEARD PLAYING A ZITHER! BWAHAHAHAHA!" It's meant to be funny. Severe Tire Damage: Before They made a live album, everyone would be whining about "When are They gonna do a live album?" and when they finally make one, everyone whines about how they hate it. MAKE UP YOUR MIND. Personally, I very much enjoy STD (and, I also have Live Noise, and see no point in comparing the two - I love them both), and STD was a very valuable asset to me when I first got it. At the time I was still becoming a fan, and STD has a wide range of their stuff, so when I got to the record store I could say, "Well, I liked Ana Ng, so I'll get Lincoln." Besides, you cannot really simulate going to a concert with just an album, no matter what you do. Enough from me! ever-sincere, eriKa, boy, do I hate TMBG! -- all their albums have been a waste of my precious time and money! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-4 *****************************