Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 6 Monday, 6 September 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Re: St. Louis Show!!!! TMBG: Atlanta Show! RE: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN Re: TMBG: The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Some News From Disney TMBG: TMBG's segment on NPR's Lost and Found TMBG: woo hoo! Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Can we just agree to disagree? :-) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-4 Re: Non-TMBG: British Comedy Re: TMBG: Can we just agree to disagree? :-) TMBG: Two Degrees of Separation Between Little House On The Prairie & TMBG TMBG: Oops :-) Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Re: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN Re: TMBG: Can we just agree to disagree? :-) TMBG: Re: TMBG's segment on NPR's Lost and Found Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: STD Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Rick's List of TMBG Songs That Rick Has -- Part One Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Rick's List of TMBG Songs That Rick Has -- Part One okay, so i lied.. i have to read them all. Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Setting it straight on STD Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: okay, so i lied.. i have to read them all. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <37D11752.1410015@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 08:57:54 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > Probabaly because John and John are normal people with lives, and can't > understand your ways. Personally, neither can I. Are you trying to say that you've never been so interested in something you want to do it a lot? Wow, you sound like a pretty boring person. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 09:59:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 99-09-03 16:44:12 EDT, you write: << eriKa wrote: > >>What about sensurround? > > >What about "Careless Santa"? > >What about Spitting Contest? What about Insect Hospital? >> ...Daddy? What's Viet Nam? ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:03:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 99-09-03 17:28:33 EDT, you write: << Instead of sitting there and thinking, "Why are they doing a country song? This is lame," and feeling generally cranky, it's far more entertaining to laugh your ass of as I did, thinking, "FLANS IN A FAKE BEARD PLAYING A ZITHER! BWAHAHAHAHA!" It's meant to be >> Yeah! I mean, who doesn't love Funky Amish Flansburgh? ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <3138df38.2502824d@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:10:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 99-09-03 23:01:41 EDT, you write: << << Even "Unforgotten"? Now *that's* devotion. ;-) >> I happen to love it. >> Yeah, me too. Emar, just wants to beeee-heeeeeee unnnn-for-gotttten... ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <5429b4b9.250282c2@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:12:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 99-09-03 23:10:19 EDT, you write: << You remind me of some people at the radio >station where I DJ...they'll put on something like "Authentic Gong Music >From The Phillipines, Vol. 1", leave it on for half an hour, and just >ugh hysterically. >> That isn't funny, but two hours of old kids "books and record" sets sure as hell is, especially the creepy Mr. Rogers ones that sound like REALLY bad innuendoes.... Emar, just would like some time... alone... with *you!* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000301bef6df$bcd0e820$af8d87d1@sjb.inlink.com> From: "Sara Beeler" Subject: TMBG: Re: St. Louis Show!!!! Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 09:13:55 -0500 >Oooh, aren't I slick, responding to my own posts? Well, anyway,is >anyone at >all planning on attending the St. Louis show? I only remember >like one >person who said to have gone to the last one in St.Louis......so I'm >just >wondering. Anyone?? > LAURA Laura, I may be at the St. Louis show, but I'd probably have to go alone due to the date and the sad fact that I have yet to convert anyone to TMBG-ism. Which isn't bad during the show, but kind of boring before and after. And I may be on call that week, so it would also depend on whether someone would cover for me. Sara ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:19:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Atlanta Show! Hey there... anyone else on the list going to the Atlanta show on Saturday next? If so, wanna meet up before hand, get food, stand in line, etc? My GF and I'll probably be there like, or so..... ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:55:19 -0700 Message-ID: I would like to add to this thread that I am a musician and also have very diverse tastes in music. I must state that I like every single song I have heard by TMBG. They always continue to broaden their musical horizon and continue to be witty and very entertaining. Just my own personal opinion. -Mr.Lee ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990904151441.40859.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 08:14:41 PDT atomic worm wrote: >first, i don't have kind feelings for larry. I'll never forget about Larry, no matter how I try. >i hope no one _actually_ thinks that I Can Hear You didn't diserve its >space... so you're saying that Toddler Highway was the perfect little >20 >second diddy on Pink? Actually, I think that Toddler Hiway is a better fit on the pink album than I Can Hear You is on Factory Showroom. It fits the flow of the album better (not that FS has much of a flow, but that's another rant). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:34:58 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: The Next Album Message-ID: i don't f***in' believe this. first, we have (over and over) the debate about whether off-topic posts should be on this list. this debate is bad enough, don't get me wrong. but now, people are arguing about whether *TMBG-related* posts should be posted?? i think i'm probably going to unsubscribe from this list. i don't know how much more of this i can stand. --jim kuemmerle, who hasn't heard "Authentic Gong Music From The Phillipines, Vol. 1" yet. what label is it on? j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:51:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/4/1999 8:59:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: << > Probabaly because John and John are normal people with lives, and can't > understand your ways. Personally, neither can I. Are you trying to say that you've never been so interested in something you want to do it a lot? Wow, you sound like a pretty boring person. >> No, sorry, I've never been interested in seeing the same show 17 times in a little over 2 years. But I have been interested in waiting 4 hours in line to see Star Wars (even though i new it was going to suck) because it was a one time thing. You could never experience seeing that 12:01 AM showing of phantom menace ever again. A tmbg show is basically the same thing no matter where you see one. (Unless it's a special show. Like the 4 show set in new york, i would go see them.) I just don't understand why you would want to spend all that time and money on seeing the same show 17 times when you could be doing....anything else. And don't call me boring. Mr Bean is not a boring person. You can ask anyone, and they'll tell you mr. bean is the coolest, funniest, weirdest guy around. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <2639479a.2502ac19@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:08:41 EDT Subject: TMBG: Some News From Disney Hi everyone: I just saw a news item that stated that the Peter Pan sequel that Disney had planned to release (I believe this is the same sequel that included the TMBG song "Now You're One of Us") has been sent back for redevelopment and retooling. So it may be a good while longer before we get to hear the above-mentioned song, unless it's put out on a promo disc or something. Karen J. Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <3935781f.2502b088@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:27:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG's segment on NPR's Lost and Found I found an URL where you can listen to yesterday's broadcast episode of the National Public Radio's series, "Lost and Found." The episode, which includes TMBG, was entitled "21st Century Cylinders.": http://www.npr.org/programs/lnfsound/onair/990903.onair.html Karen Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990904173938.23883.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: TMBG: woo hoo! Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:39:38 PDT Wow, TWO DC shows!!! and FOUR Bowery shows!!! Life is good. TMBG is good. ~~~~~~~ -KeembearLEE "There's no money above the fifth fret." http://jump.to/keembearlee ~~~~~~~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D160A2.AC9E7E87@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:10:42 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > No, sorry, I've never been interested in seeing the same show 17 times in a > little over 2 years. But I have been interested in waiting 4 hours in line > to see Star Wars (even though i new it was going to suck) because it was a > one time thing. You could never experience seeing that 12:01 AM showing of > phantom menace ever again. A tmbg show is basically the same thing no matter > where you see one. (Unless it's a special show. Like the 4 show set in new but that's like saying a baseball game is the same thing no matter where or when you see it... > york, i would go see them.) I just don't understand why you would want to > spend all that time and money on seeing the same show 17 times when you could As of now, that's probably true. Their shows do tend to be fairly similar. But the atmosphere is always different, and there are different sets of people at them, which do add to the enjoyment (although TMBG haven't built up nearly the sense of "fan community" that Fruvous have). There are different stories at different clubs (like when I saw them in Cleveland during game 5 of the 1997 World Series in Cleveland) and a lot of times it's the banter that makes a show great. But back in 1997, when I started roadtripping, the shows tended to be very different, and I heard lots of material I'd never heard live before at pretty much every show. And before that, I went to a few shows in 1996, and they were all even more different from each other. It was fun. Now it *is* kind of repetetive, which is part of the reason I'm not roadtripping nearly as much for them anymore. > be doing....anything else. And don't call me boring. Mr Bean is not a > boring person. You can ask anyone, and they'll tell you mr. bean is the > coolest, funniest, weirdest guy around. No, I still think you're boring. You still seem to feel that nothing is worth getting majorly involved over. That sounds like a pretty dull existence, if you find nothing more interesting than anything else. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 13:22:17 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37D16359.E6BAB8F8@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > You can ask anyone, and they'll tell you mr. bean is the > > coolest, funniest, weirdest guy around. > > No, I still think you're boring. You still seem to feel that nothing is worth > getting majorly involved over. That sounds like a pretty dull existence, if > you find nothing more interesting than anything else. I do love how half the threads on this list become nothing but petty insults after going on for about 24 hours... Bob "This message probably means that I'm boring! Dear lord no!" Scott ------------------------------ From: Coolfro38@aol.com Message-ID: <12601253.2502bf76@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 14:31:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/4/99 12:54:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MrBean43@aol.com writes: << And don't call me boring. Mr Bean is not a boring person. You can ask anyone, and they'll tell you mr. bean is the coolest, funniest, weirdest guy around. >> He's right there! Mr. Bean is king of the British Comedy!!! Forget Michael Palin and co. from Monty Python, Mr. Bean is and always will be the reigning King!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 14:35:00 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: <19990904.143501.11438.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >(although TMBG haven't built up nearly >the sense of "fan community" that Fruvous have) I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier, in light of the large amount of Fruvous comparisons here but... THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS IS NOT MOXY FRUVOUS. They're not going to be just like Fruvous. Their concerts aren't going to be the same and their live albums are not going to be the same because they are *different bands.* >No, I still think you're boring. You still seem to feel that nothing is worth >getting majorly involved over. That sounds like a pretty dull existence, if >you find nothing more interesting than anything else. And maybe I think you're complaining too much (there *is* a difference between criticism and complaining, and that line has been crossed, whether anyone realizes it or not). And maybe I think someone else is an idiot. And maybe I think this entire discussion is completely ridiculous. Now that I've made such negative comments, am I cool too? Am I a real fan now? ever-sincere, eriKa, because only the real fans can whine! -- oh, but I guess I have to be here three years before I can! silly me! -- I give up! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990904150038.00951be0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 15:06:25 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Can we just agree to disagree? :-) Can we just agree to disagree? I can't believe how bizarre the list has gotten over the past 24 hours... Erika, I never said anyone who honestly likes all of TMBG's work is inherently evil or something...and I never siad anyone who hasn't been on the list for several years isn't a real fan. It was just an observation that most of the people vehemently defending TMBG and saying that they're completely infallible seem to be new faces. To everyone who falls in the "TMBG can do no wrong" category, please try to do a better job of supporting your arguments. For instance, when Erika posted and said something to the effect of "you all whined for a live album, TMBG put out a live album, so further whining is pointless", and I said that wasn't a very strong argument and explained why I felt that way, your entire response was to say that I was wrong and that was that. If you're going to say something, try to support your argument. This is a discussion list after all, and without discussion, it's...well, the Barenaked Ladies list. ;-) -Adam "[insert name of BNL member] is sooooo hot" -- 80% of the posts on the Treefort ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D18183.1EEF@stlnet.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:31:06 -0600 From: Chris Lynne Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-4 > Oooh, aren't I slick, responding to my own posts? Well, anyway, is > anyone at all planning on attending the St. Louis show? I only > remember like one person who said to have gone to the last one in > St. Louis......so I'm just wondering. Anyone?? > LAURA Hey.. wow... it's been over a year since I've last posted I think.. anyways.. yeah, I'll definitely be there.. I have yet to see them at Mississippi Nights and I love concerts there.. I saw them at that thing they had recentely with those other three bands and that was pretty good.. and since then I hadn't seen them since Pointfest, so.. to wrap it up yeah, I'll definitely be there and I'm pumped.. ~Chris ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:04:15 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: British Comedy In a message dated 9/4/99 2:32:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Coolfro38@aol.com writes: << He's right there! Mr. Bean is king of the British Comedy!!! Forget Michael Palin and co. from Monty Python, Mr. Bean is and always will be the reigning King!!! >> Hmmm...I now love Monty Python, Rowan Atkinson (especially The Black Adder), and Keeping Up Appearances equally. Anyone here ever see Ripping Yarns, with Michael Palin and Terry Jones? Karen "My pump caught in my trouser leg" Riley My mother IS Hyacinth Bucket. Hyacinth: "That's Bouquet!" Oh, sorry, Bouquet. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <561aa098.2502d6c1@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:10:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Can we just agree to disagree? :-) In a message dated 9/4/99 3:08:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: << To everyone who falls in the "TMBG can do no wrong" category, please try to do a better job of supporting your arguments. >> Hmm...okay, how about art is subjective...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...every cloud has a silver lining...always look on the bright side of life? (whistle whistle). Karen J. Riley MuseKJ@aol.com It's Red-Hot Poker Day here in beautiful Linden, NJ ;-) ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:42:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Two Degrees of Separation Between Little House On The Prairie & TMBG I'll bet you've asked yourself the above question a million times :-) Well, it goes like this: On Little House, Linwood Boomer played Mary Ingalls' blind (and then later not-blind) husband, Adam. Linwood Boomer is the creator and exec producer of Fox's new show, "Malcolm In The Middle." And of course, as we all probably know by now, TMBG are doing the theme song "You're Not The Boss Of Me" for "Malcolm In The Middle." I just thought I'd share that :-) Karen "May the S.A.R.A.Force be with you" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:53:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: Oops :-) In a message dated 9/4/99 4:42:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MuseKJ writes: << Subj: Two Degrees of Separation Between Little House On The Prairie & TMBG I'll bet you've asked yourself the above question a million times :-) >> Uh, that didn't make any sense, did it? The question I meant to include was "What Do Little House and TMBG have in common?" Sorry about the confusion there :-) Karen J. Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990904210451.52417.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:04:51 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >but that's like saying a baseball game is the same thing no matter >where >or when you see it... It is, as far as I'm concerned. >You still seem to feel that nothing is worth getting majorly involved > >over. Well, there are different ways to get "majorly involved over" something. For those of us who don't like to travel and don't have much money, roadtripping it's exactly the most feasible way to do get involved. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990904210853.30812.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:08:52 PDT eriKa wrote: > >(although TMBG haven't built up nearly > >the sense of "fan community" that Fruvous have) > >I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier, in light of the large >amount of Fruvous comparisons here but... > >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS IS NOT MOXY FRUVOUS. Really? I guess that explains why they sound so different. I wondered how two Johns could do four-part harmonies so well. >And maybe I think you're complaining too much (there *is* a difference >between criticism and complaining, and that line has been crossed, >whether anyone realizes it or not). And maybe I think someone else is an >idiot. And maybe I think this entire discussion is completely ridiculous. >Now that I've made such negative comments, am I cool too? Am I a real >fan >now? No! You're only a real fan when I say so! Now drop and give me fifty, you lowly maggot! -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:18:57 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D18CC1.ABFC7758@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN Alrighty, someone needs to bring me up to date? What the heck is going on? Why is everyone so bitter latey. What happened? -A atomic worm wrote: > > first, i don't have kind feelings for larry. > > i hope no one _actually_ thinks that I Can Hear You didn't diserve its > space... so you're saying that Toddler Highway was the perfect little 20 > second diddy on Pink? > > THEY are doing what they've wanted to do since the beginning: make the music > they want to make... and it's all possible because they have the resources > to do it. > > really, i love john and john more than i have loved any one thing on this > earth. my parents don't even come close. > > why? despite the form that THEIR messages come in, it is really the message > that touches me (or intentional lack thereof). > > larry, you didn't ACTUALLY rate those fs songs did you? that must have been > my imagination. i thought TMBG fans had a little more grey matter on their > side than the casual observer from the pop mainstream might. i thought we > all "got it," insofar as THEY are concerned. > > if THEIR music doesn't touch you anymore larry, i think you grew up. > > (dr.worm is the happiest song i have ever heard. i cry when i hear it > constantly. i am eighteen years old. i'm crying because larry is an ass, > and i don't have a problem letting him know) > > larry, is your favorite song Particle Man? I thought so! > > the call me doctor worm > good morning how are you > i'm doctor worm > > [charley] > __________________________________________________ > FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990904211709.8399.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Can we just agree to disagree? :-) Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:17:08 PDT Adam Tyner wrote: >Can we just agree to disagree? I can't believe how bizarre the list has >gotten over the past 24 hours... I've been thinking the same thing. I don't mind much of what goes on on this list. I don't really mind criticism or praise of TMBG, on-topic or off-topic, one-line posts, or old jokes repeated ad nauseum. I DO, however, mind the hostility that occurs on this list. Really, I don't understand it. Okay, you like "I Can Hear You" and Lawrence Solomon thinks it's a piece of crap. So what? Is it worth starting a flame war over? I don't see why we can't just respect each other's opinions, especially when they differ over such silly things. It would be nice if everyone lived by this rule (When you think about it, starting a Crusade because you think Jesus was a better religious leader than Mohammed is probably just as stupid as starting a flame war over _Factory Showroom_), but can't we at least do it on this list? As far as I can tell, we're all mature human beings (and not medieval popes). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:37:58 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D19136.DF1332BA@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG's segment on NPR's Lost and Found Listening to it as we speak. pretty cool. -A MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > I found an URL where you can listen to yesterday's broadcast episode of the > National Public Radio's series, "Lost and Found." The episode, which includes > TMBG, was entitled "21st Century Cylinders.": > > http://www.npr.org/programs/lnfsound/onair/990903.onair.html > > Karen Riley > MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990904213446.27438.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:34:46 PDT Adrienne Spruill wrote: >Alrighty, someone needs to bring me up to date? What the heck is >going on? >Why is everyone so bitter latey. What happened? Someone (I think it was Lawrence Solomon) mentioned that he didn't like much of what the Johns did recently, and people complained about that, and then people complained about the complaints, and other people complained about the complaints about the complaints, and--well, you get the idea. Suffice it to say that the hostility level was WAY too high for arguments about the recent quality of TMBG's music. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D1A075.F35DE37B@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:43:01 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier, in light of the large > amount of Fruvous comparisons here but... > > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS IS NOT MOXY FRUVOUS. I never said they were Moxy Fruvous. But they could stand to learn a few things from them, either way. I think TMBG's fear of their fans (or at least the way they often make it seem) contributes to that a great deal. > They're not going to be just like Fruvous. Their concerts aren't going to > be the same and their live albums are not going to be the same because > they are *different bands.* But there is a generally accepted way to make a live album, and what TMBG did doesn't qualify by most people's standards. > And maybe I think you're complaining too much (there *is* a difference > between criticism and complaining, and that line has been crossed, > whether anyone realizes it or not). And maybe I think someone else is an > idiot. And maybe I think this entire discussion is completely ridiculous. > Now that I've made such negative comments, am I cool too? Am I a real fan > now? Your last statement shows that you are continually missing everyone's points. I'm not saying anyone is more or less of a fan than anyone else, but that it's silly to expect that a band will always be perfect, or worse, to assume they always are and that everyone else must think that, otherwise they wouldn't be on this list, where apparently, all we're supposed to ever do is praise TMBG and glorify everything they've done, instead of being honest about how we feel about it. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D1A824.9854B368@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 19:15:48 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Well, there are different ways to get "majorly involved over" something. > For those of us who don't like to travel and don't have much money, > roadtripping it's exactly the most feasible way to do get involved. You don't have to, but you do at least understand that some of us do that and can see our reasoning behind it. But his comment was this: "Probabaly because John and John are normal people with lives, and can't understand your ways. Personally, neither can I." Saying that he doesn't get it, not just that he wouldn't do it. And not getting it, and assuming that we all are not "people with lives" because our lives involve spending time with our friends at concerts, shows that he doesn't see how anyone can be that into something at all. So my statement stands. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:22:24 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: <19990904.192225.-844071.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS IS NOT MOXY FRUVOUS. > > But there is a generally accepted way to make a live album, and what > TMBG did > doesn't qualify by most people's standards. the comparisons stem from (and this is all imo) the fact that moxy fruvous' live album is generally considered to be an excellent representation of their live show - the performance, the atmospehre, etc. They Might Be Giants are on the exact opposite end. It doesn't accurately represent any aspect of the live show other than the fact that some of the songs on the album were performed live (and i'm not even sure if those songs were mastered in any way or not). If you have ever been to a tmbg show - be it 10 years ago or yesterday - STD does not resemble that show at all. I can almost guarantee it. How? because on top of all the shows i have been at personally, i also have a collection of nearly 500 TMBG bootlegs and it's very likely that i have a copy of the show you were at or one from the same general era. you can't honestly tell me that when you listen to STD you fell any bit of nostalgia for any live show you ever saw of theirs. When i listen to moxy fruvous' live noise i am constantly reminded that there was a crowd there (as you can hear the applause at the end of each song) I am reminded that moxy fruvous intersperse random bits of banter between songs, and I'm reminded of little differences between album songs and their live performance. TMBG messed all of that up. You can't hear the audience, their songs don't flow like they naturally would at a concert, you don't hear linnell with any of his exciting (yes i'm being sarcastic) intros "so here's another song we do," and you don't even get to hear the actual way they perform songs at shows - take They Got Lost for example. If you listen to the actual show that that version was taken from (one of the mercury lounge gigs) They had to play it twice to get it "just perfect" for the album... you know what the main problem with the first time they played it at that show was? Linnell sang the wrong names - i think it was the original names in the song "graham" and "dan" or something. Anyways, so they came back out in an 'extra' encore and sang it again with the "proper" names. i dunno, i'm blabbing and i doubt that anyone even made it down this far so i'll stop. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 20:15:13 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > Personally, my thoughts echo Kay's...I like the great majority of TMBG's > work and dearly love much of it, but if you are unwilling to accept > criticism of any sort, perhaps being on a discussion list isn't the best > idea. *laughs hysterically* It really is funny, if you think about it.. because both sides of this debate are telling the other that they are shortsighted and shouldn't be on the list! LOL!!! ONE OF US HAS TO BE WRONG! Isn't that SCARY? Who has to leave? Maybe I do! Maybe you do! Maybe we all should go get a cup of coffee together and never look at the board again! ::sits back and laughs:: Oh dear, I think I've gone round the bend again.... Lydia Nossir, I'm not laughing at you! I'm just laughing *<[]:\ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D1B85D.DC11DDCA@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 20:25:01 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > you can't honestly tell me that when you listen to STD you fell any bit > of nostalgia for any live show you ever saw of theirs. When i listen to > moxy fruvous' live noise i am constantly reminded that there was a crowd > there (as you can hear the applause at the end of each song) I am not only can you hear the applause, but you can hear "participation" like in "Lowest Highest Point," "King of Spain" ("1, 2, 3, 4!") and "The Drinking Song" ("You sing it!") On STD, I can barely hear the audience during "Battle for Planet of the Apes." > from (one of the mercury lounge gigs) They had to play it twice to get it > "just perfect" for the album... you know what the main problem with the > first time they played it at that show was? Linnell sang the wrong names > - i think it was the original names in the song "graham" and "dan" or That was the 12/18/97 show. And "They Got Lost" was actually on the setlist twice, so they intended to do it twice regardless of whether they "got it right" the first time. The recording on STD is the music from the second performance of it, and the vocals re-dubbed in later, which is even worse - not even a pure live performance. (when they rerecorded the vocals, he not only switched the names from the original performance - "Hal said to Dan" vs "Dan said to Hal" and did a very dry performance - in concert, it's more like "HAL saidtoDan!" or something like that. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990304203232.00817e00@idt.net> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:32:32 -0500 From: Michael Hooker Subject: TMBG: STD hi, i for one like STD a lot. i think if you wanted to introduce someone new to the band, its almost perfect. it has a good variety of songs, studio and live. when i make sampler CD's of bands i like to introduce them to new listeners, they basically come out just like STD, a range of what the music is about. people who wanted a live record dont like it. people that wanted a studio record dont like it. i like it just fine . Mike Hooker ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <387d8fde.250312be@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 20:26:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > Where is it written that a fan has to absolutely love everything that the > group does? I'm not syaing they're awful now, but I am saying that their > judgement is questionable, as their last two releases have not really been > up > to the standard set by the first 5. And I'd say considerably lower, at that. > > Almost to the point of no comparison. their JUDGEMENT is questionable? Their SANITY is questionable! Actually, no it isn't, we all KNOW ;) But.. I don't know, I think that's kind of a selfish thing to say. I mean, their judgement is fine, at least they think it is. They're going in a direction they like. Everyone is different and has different opinions! I like pumpkin pie. If you don't like it, does that mean I have bad taste? Patience and tolderance, Grasshopper! Lydia Master of All Things ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D1BAD5.4FEC55F9@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 20:35:33 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > their JUDGEMENT is questionable? Their SANITY is questionable! Actually, no > it isn't, we all KNOW ;) But.. I don't know, I think that's kind of a selfish > thing to say. I mean, their judgement is fine, at least they think it is. > They're going in a direction they like. Everyone is different and has > different opinions! I like pumpkin pie. If you don't like it, does that mean > I have bad taste? Patience and tolderance, Grasshopper! I didn't say their judgement was *bad*, just questionable. I'm questioning their judgement. And given that most people I know agree that Severe Tire Damage does not fit the commonly accepted definition of "live album," I have to really wonder about their judgement in constructing it and releasing it the way they did. They must have never listened to another band's live album... -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <8ec08263.250315b2@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 20:39:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > Hmmm, I guess that doesn't show that they don't *like* roadtrippers, so much > as just not really understanding them, which is true of a lot of people. Or > that they're freaked out by us. Maybe this is just in comparison to Moxy > Fruvous, who go out of their way to please the roadtrippers. I dunno... I' > ve > just always gotten the impression that they didn't really appreciate people > obsessing over them enough to drive a long way to see them. Well, you can kind of see where they're coming from. It would freak me out too! Linnell's response sounds perfectly acceptable given the situation! I'd expect him to think I was a freak if I had seen that many shows! But I wouldn't care; I WISH I'd seen that many of Their shows! ='( Where ever do you get up enough money for a TMBG-roadtrip anyway? THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN!! :)I wouldn't mind seeing them 18 times in 2 years! However, I think maybe They Might Be a little afraid of me ;) Lydia Le Stalkerette Exraordinaire! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <531e8fbf.25031768@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 20:46:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > > > >>What about sensurround? > > > >What about "Careless Santa"? > > > What about Spitting Contest? > > > > Stop this dumb one-line pointless posting! You people suck! Grrr! > > we can't stop until someone mentions careless santa! What *ABOUT* Careless Santa? Lydia Personally, the idea of Careless Santa frightens me. I mean.. he must weigh like 500 pounds! Would you want to have a Careless Santa plummeting down YOUR chimney????? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990905011413.59487.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:14:13 PDT Lydia wrote: > > > > >>What about sensurround? > > > > >What about "Careless Santa"? > > > > What about Spitting Contest? > > > > > > Stop this dumb one-line pointless posting! You people suck! Grrr! > > > > we can't stop until someone mentions careless santa! > >What *ABOUT* Careless Santa? What with all of these one-line posts, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Careless Santa. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 21:15:14 EDT Subject: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album >Factory Showroom was half awful, >too. i love how people post their opinions as if they're fact. i've gotten the vibe many times that if you actually *like* factory showroom, and find no fault with it, you're less of a fan? i'm not saying that's true, that's just how it seems -- and i KNOW for a fact that i'm not the only one to pick up on this attitude. well that's all i'll say to this thread, and i'm about to delete the next... 40 messages in this thread. oiy vey. sarah, LIKES FS and pet name so WAHWAHWAHWAH! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D1C62F.339BF7D4@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 21:23:59 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > i love how people post their opinions as if they're fact. sorry, I thought it was implied. :) > i've gotten the vibe many times that if you actually *like* factory showroom, > and find no fault with it, you're less of a fan? > > i'm not saying that's true, that's just how it seems -- and i KNOW for a fact > that i'm not the only one to pick up on this attitude. I don't really see where that's coming across. I'm not at all saying anything about who's more of a fan than anyone else. I am saying, though, that the blind love for them and believing that they can do no wrong no matter what isn't necessarily the best thing in the world - especially since a number of the people who hold that belief seem to think that those who *don't* share it aren't fans, which is as bad as any other reason to claim someone else is less of a fan... -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990905012743.18909.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:27:43 PDT sarah wrote: > >Factory Showroom was half awful, too. > > >i love how people post their opinions as if they're fact. I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh here, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Value judgments such as the one mentioned above are ALWAYS opinions, and it's redundant to say "this is my opinion" when mentioning them. That's generally pretty obvious. That's just MY opinion, though. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: <4838edbb.25032411@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 21:40:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: Rick's List of TMBG Songs That Rick Has -- Part One I felt it necessary to do this. Well, here goes. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!!! The Pink Album Everything Right is Wrong Again -- clever Puppet Head -- Flansburgh is tough to understand, but catchy Number Three -- a great writer's block song Don't Let's Start -- very catchy, and a plus cuz I can play it on my guitar Hide Away, Folk Family -- They've done better... 32 Footsteps -- wierd, but neat Indian sound Toddler Hiway -- cute, catchy Spitting Contest -- sucked, worst song I've ever heard Rabid Child -- Rabbit Ears is fun to say Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes -- very funny and fun to sing Hotel Detective -- very funny listening to Flansburgh's singing She's An Angel -- only play it to compare how dinky it is compared to STD version Youth Culture Killed My Dog -- well, it's not Their best either Boat of Car -- who is this Margaret Seiler? Absoutely Bill's Mood -- I like the spooky guitar Chess Piece Face -- bad, but I keep singing it!!! I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die -- fun polka Alienation's For The Rich -- funny, somehow soundds like Harry Chapin Rythym Section Want Ad -- funny, fun to sing song. I love saying "so do you dig a band" really fast. E-mail me with any comments. Part 2 (Lincoln) is coming soon! Rick "There are tabloid footprints in my hair!!!" Jennings ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 21:54:17 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D1CD49.D99D85CD@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN oaky. thanks for enlightening me. i feel so much better. as for me, i think i'll stay out of the whole thing and stick to the topic at hand, which, hence the name of this list, would be TMBG. thanks. -A Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Adrienne Spruill wrote: > >Alrighty, someone needs to bring me up to date? What the heck is >going on? > >Why is everyone so bitter latey. What happened? > > Someone (I think it was Lawrence Solomon) mentioned that he didn't like much > of what the Johns did recently, and people complained about that, and then > people complained about the complaints, and other people complained about > the complaints about the complaints, and--well, you get the idea. Suffice > it to say that the hostility level was WAY too high for arguments about the > recent quality of TMBG's music. > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990904215719.014cd8ec@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 21:57:19 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album At 08:35 PM 9/4/99 -0400, you wrote: >And given that most people I know agree that Severe Tire Damage does not fit >the commonly accepted definition of "live album," I have to really wonder >about their judgement in constructing it and releasing it the way they did. >They must have never listened to another band's live album... I believe that They stated more than once that STD was supposed to be a way to release songs that had changed in their live performances. Which isn't the typical aim of a "live album." So just maybe...the commonly accepted definition of "live album" shouldn't be used to judge STD. Which I like. Along with Factory Showroom. I'm only so-so on Spitting Contest. :) Dylan "Mike Leffel doesn't fit the commonly accepted definition of live album either" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dylan@flipse.com http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 21:56:15 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D1CDBF.1382BE69@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. (is that 2 "P's" or 1?) -A LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > > >Factory Showroom was half awful, > >too. > > i love how people post their opinions as if they're fact. > > i've gotten the vibe many times that if you actually *like* factory showroom, > and find no fault with it, you're less of a fan? > > i'm not saying that's true, that's just how it seems -- and i KNOW for a fact > that i'm not the only one to pick up on this attitude. > > well that's all i'll say to this thread, and i'm about to delete the next... > 40 messages in this thread. oiy vey. > > sarah, LIKES FS and pet name so WAHWAHWAHWAH! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990905015523.66721.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Rick's List of TMBG Songs That Rick Has -- Part One Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:55:23 PDT Rick Jennings wrote: >Hotel Detective -- very funny listening to Flansburgh's singing I think the vocals are even more amusing on the demo version. This is probably my least favourite song on the pink album, mostly because it doesn't really fit. And what about Careless Santa? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <19667721.2503290f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 22:01:51 EDT Subject: okay, so i lied.. i have to read them all. Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/4/99 1:54:09 AM, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: >Yeah, I noticed that...the people who have been more critical (myself >included) are names I recognize (I've been on the list since Sept. '96), > >and most of the people who are defending the Giants are names I don't >remember seeing for that long, with one exception. what about me? i've been on the list since '96, and i don't agree with anyone. >I definitely fell into the "They can do no wrong!" category, but > >my tastes started changing as I listened to more and more different types > >of music, and now I'm a bit more critical. hmm. i am all over the map with genres, and i consider tmbg still as one of my interchangable 3 favourite bands (right now it's sloan, blur and tmbg respectfully)... yet i don't listen to them as much as i used to. (they can do no wrong? well, that's not me. there are quite a few songs i have no shame hitting the 'skip' button for. "the day" "unrelated thing", yah yah yah..) >The fact that fans > >are actively discussing things in a critical nature on this list really > >sets it apart from most of the other lists I read...for example, the BNL > >list, the Treefort. ::winks to anyone who happens to be on that list too:: oh my. yes... thanks actually, that reminds me how much i like this tmbg-list. for those unaware, the bnl one is a virtual bnl drool fest... dare to even suggest you don't like a song, and you'll most likely be flamed. it's mad. sarah ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 22:05:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: Setting it straight on STD My Dad bought Severe Tire Damage for me, and it made me a bigger TMBG freak than ever. I bought two albums that I used to have, but got washed out in a basement flood (yeah, you guessed it, one was Flood), and I have another one way overdue from the library. Also, the Planet of the Apes songs, Doctor Worm, and First Kiss are all great! Rick "A clever quote should go here" Jennings ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990905020814.70933.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 19:08:14 PDT Dylan Flipse wrote: >I believe that They stated more than once that STD was supposed to be a way >to release songs that had changed in their live performances. Which isn't >the typical aim of a "live album." So just maybe...the commonly >accepted >definition of "live album" shouldn't be used to judge STD. I agree, but I don't think that _Severe Tire Damage_ was totally successful at meeting the goal that you mentioned, either. I guess I don't really care if a live album sounds exactly like a concert. I do, however, think that such an album should provide something new, whether this be banter from the band, audience participation, new songs, or different arrangements for old songs. I don't want the exact same songs with cheering at the end of each one. Some of the tracks on _Severe Tire Damage_ lived up to my hopes in this respect. Others fell flat, because they sounded too much like the album versions. I think that "Birdhouse In Your Soul" and "Till My Head Falls Off" fit in the latter category. Really, I think that _Severe Tire Damage_ could have been better. In fact, I don't just think this; I KNOW it. I've heard much better live arrangements for some of the songs than the ones used on the album. ("WDTSS?" is one example that springs to mind.) Why use subpar versions of these tracks, when you could just record some more shows, and use the best ones? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990905021630.32617.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: okay, so i lied.. i have to read them all. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 19:16:30 PDT sarah wrote: >there are quite a few songs i >have no shame hitting the 'skip' button for. "the day" "unrelated > >thing", yah yah yah..) "The Day" doesn't seem to be an especially popular song among TMBG songs. Is it because of the ridiculous vocals in the second verse (or second chorus, or whatever you want to call it)? Personally, I don't mind the song, and I find it good for singing along. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-6 *****************************