Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 1 Friday, 1 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Bowery Ballroom or It's the end of the world as I know it TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-30 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-30 TMBG: Linnell's Upcoming Solo Shows (Tour?) Re: TMBG: Re: Bowery Ballroom or It's the end of the world as I know it TMBG: state songs at cdnow TMBG: Re: Linnell's Upcoming Solo Shows (Tour?) Re: TMBG: Various Boots TMBG: SF show review Re: TMBG: SF show review TMBG: test Re: TMBG: test TMBG: oh no! TMBG: Montana 12" single. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <0.1609f6ae.25245518@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 01:54:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Bowery Ballroom or It's the end of the world as I know it Hello 41- For those of you that don't read every post (but are reading this one for some reason...) let me recount one of the most monumental statements that has been said on the AOL board in some time. <> This came from Sarah, aka SullenMoon. Some of you don't know how big of a deal this is. Well, it is. No person, natural disaster, freak occurance, lining of the stars and planets or *anything* could get Sarah to go out to a TMBG show. And now, TMBG are doing 4 at the Bowery Ballroom, and she decides that this would be a good time. I, for one, am very worried by this. Does this mean that all the bad things surrounding the Y2K are actually true? Cats and dogs may get along. The sun may rise in the west and set in the east. Sarah may go to TMBG shows. This can't go without some kind of celebration or party or something... I'm not exactly sure what needs to happen, but something does. We, the internet community of TMBG fans, should attempt to rent out a diner or a coffee house or something to commemorate this historic event. I, will take the first step forward and say that I get the distinct honor of buying Sarah her first drink. Possibly more as the night progresses, but I'm sure I won't be the only one that will be in line. But I digress. If you live even remotley near, or have a mode of transportation to get to the Bowery Ballroom for that Friday show, BY ALL MEANS, get there. It is going to be an even of cataclysmic proportions. I wouldn't miss it for the world. I suggest the collective you don't either. For the record, as a warmup, I will be attending the shows in DC. ~Adam ------------------------------ From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 02:27:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-30 In a message dated 09/29/1999 11:08:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << EEEEK! How INDECENT! No SKIN? You AWFUL terrible person!! there may be virgin eyes there! Lydia Being weird and odd and freakish since... well ya know >> Maybe he has skin...it's just protective and rubber? Just a thought. Kingopuns~Casey "People call them snake eyes, but to me they look like mice" ------------------------------ From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <6db681fd.25245baa@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 02:22:34 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-30 In a message dated 09/29/1999 11:08:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << > Are you not able to see them on their current tour? No. Any chance of that has gone. They played Monday and they played Tuesday. Today is Wednesday. Besides, the House of Blues is 21+. They make all their goddamn money on those drinks anyway. And it would have been my first ime seeing them. *can't find something to throw* *cries* >> I feel your pain my child...and I empathize...let us have a moment of silence for the Underage TMBG fans...okay now that that is done with. Kingopuns~Casey I am the Kingo wingo the kingo wingo... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F3367B.472114D4@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 03:07:58 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Linnell's Upcoming Solo Shows (Tour?) "Yer Pal Paul" wrote: >Not that I don't believe you, but just interested to know: Where exactly >did you hear this? Did they actually announce it during the show? Straight from Linnell's mouth at the Tuesday L.A. show. He didn't actually say it was a tour, he just said that he'd be back in L.A. in November playing solo and that he would be joined by John Flansburgh ..."in spirit". ALSO: "Spencer Owen" wrote: >They played Monday and they played Tuesday. Today is Wednesday. Besides, the >House of Blues is 21+. They make all their goddamn money on those drinks anyway. And it would have been my >first ime seeing them. >*can't find something to throw* >*cries* I remember how it was when I was under 21. Hopefully, the Linnell show will be all ages. I think the Troubador is generally an all ages club! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990930133048.25699.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bowery Ballroom or It's the end of the world as I know it Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 06:30:48 PDT >For those of you that don't read every post (but are reading this one for >some reason...) let me recount one of the most monumental statements that >has >been said on the AOL board in some time. > ><with >my best friend, we're both tmbgvirgins, and we've been waiting to see them >since like freshman year of high school (we're college sophs now). AAAH! >This is so great! YAY!>> > >This came from Sarah, aka SullenMoon. Some of you don't know how big of a >deal this is. Well, it is. No person, natural disaster, freak occurance, >lining of the stars and planets or *anything* could get Sarah to go out to >a >TMBG show. why not? She sounds excited enough about it. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F372B4.4D8E47F9@mailandnews.com> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:24:52 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: state songs at cdnow For all the worrywarts out there, CDnow does indeed have state songs on CD available for advance order, for $12.99. Destin ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:11:18 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell's Upcoming Solo Shows (Tour?) >Hopefully, the Linnell show will be all ages. I think the Troubador >is generally an all ages club! He said the Troubadour? *jumps for joy* The Troubadour is almost always all ages! Woo-hoo! Spencer. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990930110558.009838f0@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:06:32 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Various Boots Actually, reply to the list, also, because I'm am similarly interested. At 08:43 PM 9/29/99 -0400, you wrote: >I read on here a little bit ago that someone here would burn/dub me a CD/tape >(respectively of course) of some of the fan made comps. So i was wondering if >i paid for someone to get the CDR and i covered the postage, if you would >make for me any of these... Live In NYC, Back To John, Insect Hospital, Any >of the StumpBoxes, SuperFreak FuelSicle (and the sequel). I would really >apreciate it. Please respond via email since its rather hard to read the >digests now that im in highschool :) >thank you, >TMBJon! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:25:01 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: SF show review Message-ID: Hi everybody Butt-kicking show in San Francisco last night, featuring an unusual A18-heavy setlist. unidentified instrumental (possibly Triboro) Spider James K. Polk She Thinks She's Edith Head Mr. Klaw Older Twisting Radio TMBG ("Radio TMBG at .com!" very short but good sound-byte-type thing) Cyclops Rock Spiralling Shape She's Actual Size It's So Loud In Here (one of my favourites of the latest crop) Letterbox (!) Narrow Your Eyes (!!) (Flans messed up the first verse) Ana Ng The Guitar Everybody Conga->No One Knows My Plan (yes, they did it this way and not EC->NOKMP->Guitar; guess it was time for a change. And Everybody Conga had different words.) Shoehorn With Teeth Sped-up Shoehorn Particle Man The Famous Polka (!) New York City Why Does The Sun Shine? She's An Angel (yay! They played it last tour and I'm glad to see it's staying in the setlists.) Dr. Worm -- Spy (Flans conducted, and sounded like he was going into Sorry I F*** up The Show, but then Linnell continued conducting) Counterfeit Faker (sung by--why not?--the EDG puppet heads) Birdhouse -- Maybe I Know (just J&J) Dan Miller on the Spanish guitar (this rocked)->Istanbul At the very end, J&J thanked security "for protecting us from each and every one of you!" The opening band, You Were Spiralling, did not stink. That's all my random impressions. --nicole twn *** "Thank God I'm not teaching this class."--guest lecturer in Programming Languages class Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:02:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: SF show review In a message dated 9/30/99 12:27:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu writes: << unidentified instrumental (possibly Triboro) >> possibly "Drinkin' "? <.com!" very short but good sound-byte-type thing)>> did it go: "Radio, They Might Be Giants at WiredPlanet.com"? Sounded like a great show, Nicole! Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com Muse of the Day: Thalia ~ ~ Muse of Comedy and Pastoral Poetry The point of all this is to relate that in Carmel, which is not entirely dissimilar to the haunts of our youth, ecologically speaking, we saw one of those lizards we used to catch some 40 years ago. My God, the flood of memories that sight brought rushing back! Except it had been run over by a golf cart. It was so flat! We would not have believed an actual animal could be ironed out so smooth. It was as if it had been pressed. All it needed was a coat hanger and one of those plastic bags with the little twisty thing holding it together. Yes sir, here we are, your lizards are all ready to go. Have an enjoyable evening, sir. ~ ~ John Locke, of EGR Online ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002901bf0b7e$5db08ea0$c8582ace@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: test Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:59:41 -0700 testing -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990930193526.00983630@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:36:11 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: test Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! This has been a test. At 12:59 PM 9/30/99 -0700, you wrote: >testing > >-=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991001015738.12072.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: TMBG: oh no! Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:57:38 PDT In my school paper today (the Towerlight) there was an article on TMBG, but a lot of the facts were wrong... such as TMBG forming in the late 80s and Flood being album one. I'll scan it in tomorrow so you can stare in horror. The article is complimentary otherwise.... except.... well i'll let you see for yourself. -Kimberly ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 00:26:15 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7t1fpe$vfe$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Montana 12" single. Okay, everyone knows about John Linnell's "State Songs" album being released on the 26th of October. But I just looked on CDNow and found this: John Linnell : Montana . Vinyl $5.49 Expected Release Date: November 02, 1999 Label: UNI/ZOE Category: 12"/Maxi Singles B/W LOUISIANA I just checked the playlist for "State Songs," and Louisiana isn't on it, so this has an exclusive bside! Odd that it's release date is almost a month after the albums, but oh well. -Jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-1 *****************************