Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 12 Tuesday, 12 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Bis: Opinions? Semi-TMBG: State Songs -Reply TMBG: OT: Bis TMBG: Tony Millionaire, Maakies, and Word TMBG: little snippet on the Washington Post page TMBG: TMBG At Tufts? Re: TMBG: little snippet on the Washington Post page Semi-TMBG: Bad, loud music for bad, loud, and annoying people TMBG: Poll Results Re: Semi-TMBG: Bad, loud music for bad, loud, and annoying people Re: TMBG: TMBG At Tufts? Re: TMBG: Poll Results TMBG: never heard about this TMBG: question Re: TMBG: Poll Results Re: TMBG: Poll Results Re: TMBG: question Re: TMBG: Poll Results Re: TMBG: question Re: TMBG: Poll Results TMBG: wake UP, you people! Re: TMBG: wake UP, you people! Re: TMBG: Poll Results TMBG: Speaking of cool stuff slipping by... Re: TMBG: Poll Results Re: TMBG: Poll Results Re: TMBG: Poll Results TMBG: Festival of Light 2 TMBG: Re: Poll Results Re: TMBG: Poll Results Re: TMBG: Poll Results TMBG: Free tape TMBG: Contest is closed TMBG: Re: Speaking of cool stuff slipping by... Re: TMBG: Re: Speaking of cool stuff slipping by... TMBG: Flansburgh cheated!!!! Re: Semi-TMBG: Bad, loud music for bad, loud, and annoying people Re: TMBG: Re: Speaking of cool stuff slipping by... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.190e9e57.2532e2d7@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 02:51:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bis: Opinions? This weekend I made a trip with my ska band, Professor Plum down to Maryland to play two shows for a total of 20 people (Which was more people than who remained in the stands for the Virginia Tech - Rutgers game during the 2nd half). Anyway, when I went down there, the singer played me his CD of Bis. I think I've heard they're name mentioned on the list. He went to see them in Hoboken, NJ a week ago, where they played for 50 people, but they were all dancing and having fun. I am really impressed with the band. They have very catchy songs, non-standard chord progressions, and a different sound which I always like. Kind of a mix of club and pop, their stuff could easily be placed at a club. Reminds of The Cure, TMBG, and You Were Spiraling. What does everyone else think about this band? - John ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 9:02:52 +0100 Subject: Semi-TMBG: State Songs -Reply and didn't Bruce 'still to boss' Springsteen also do a track called Nebraska? I'm sure Frank Zappa had Montana as either an album track or title of album. Richard >>> "nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu" 8/October/1999 08:28am >>> > uhm... i'm listening to the radio, and the dj that's on is playing state > songs.. (!?!?!$%%^&*) well, he just played illinois, and said he'd be > playing more in a bit. This got me thinking. (I'm done with the GRE, I can start concentrating on things besides vocab now.) JL only has 15 of the 50 states represented. (16 if you count "Maryland", but it seems to have gotten cut, for some reason. :( ) Can anyone think of songs for the other 35? I've got: Nebraska-- "Nebraska", by the Nields California-- "California Dreamin'", by The Mamas And The Papas (there has GOT to be a better choice than this) Virginia-- "The Old Dominion", by Eddie From Ohio Georgia-- "Devil Went Down To Georgia" I'd mention "Iowa" by Dar Williams and "Michigan Militia" by Moxy Fruvous, but John seems to have covered those bases. And I also must mention the song "North Dakotachrome" by the (sadly) defunct Davis group Lawsuit, which contains about 40 names of states, Canadian provinces, and the occasional city, all punned into the lyrics. --nicole twn *** "I didn't write the words you hear me singing. I didn't sing the line before this one."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991011121534.25963.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: TMBG: OT: Bis Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 05:15:32 PDT This was posted and I never responded... ------------- Gosh, I havne't seen Bis since they came out with The New Transistor Heroes back in 1997. How is the new stuff? I really liked the last album quite a lot! -Matt ------------- For some Bis fans, there are mixed feelings. I like Social Dancing a lot! Their sound keeps changing, but not in a bad way (same thing for Cibo Matto). The new album is more techno and HIGHLY dancable. There's less punk than before. ------------- Very, very cool. Anyhoo, all you TMBG fans who also like slightly louder music (Bis has a drum machine, too!) should check out Bis (the Social Dancing CD is totally rockin'). -CAsey ------------- Not that Bis is anything like TMBG, but it seems that at least a FEW people on this list also like Bis. ------------- Anyway, when I went down there, the singer played me his CD of Bis. I think I've heard they're name mentioned on the list. He went to see them in Hoboken, NJ a week ago, where they played for 50 people, but they were all dancing and having fun. I am really impressed with the band. They have very catchy songs, non-standard chord progressions, and a different sound which I always like. Kind of a mix of club and pop, their stuff could easily be placed at a club. - John ------------- I am a HUGE Bis fan and therefore WAY biased, but I love them! I saw them play live three weekend before and indeed I was dancing very hard. I wish the rest of the crowd was... the band is fun, catchy, just awesome. They are young and energetic and sooo cool. So much for being objective... ~~~~~~~ -KeembearLEE "We could make sweet seedless grapes." http://get.to/crushme ~~~~~~~ There's a place for those who love their poetry... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:26:43 -0400 From: Joe Teagno Message-ID: <38020FC2.DC9CC4AD@mail.rit.edu> Organization: Rochester Institute of Technology Subject: TMBG: Tony Millionaire, Maakies, and Word If anyone is interested in Tony Millionaire's "Maakies" comic strip, you'll be happy to know that word.com is featuring a shockwave enhanced version of the strip for the next two weeks. (After that it'll still be available, but in the archive.) Its address is: http://www.word.com/ Joe joe.teagno@mail.rit.edu http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991011173022.66254.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: TMBG: little snippet on the Washington Post page Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:30:21 PDT http://yp.washingtonpost.com/E/E/WASDC/0001/26/59/cs1.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3801E8FE.B13B22BC@bu.edu> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:41:18 +0000 From: Casey Schreiner Organization: Boston University Subject: TMBG: TMBG At Tufts? Greetings, list I just went to www.theymightbegiants.com, and discovered (to my great surprise and delight) that TMBG would be playing at Tufts on Oct. 27th, just a few minutes from me! :) Anyways, I was wondering if anyone out there could confirm this, because it's not listed on Pollstar, and it's an October date listed after a November date. Could someone clear this up? I would rent a car and drive to Amherst, but I'd much rather save some money and see them near Boston -Casey ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:49:52 EDT Message-Id: <199910111349.AA135463048@megahits.com> From: "Lee Steel" Subject: Re: TMBG: little snippet on the Washington Post page "drummer and bassist" Was there NO Dan Miller in DC? ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "Keem Bearlee" Reply-To: "Keem Bearlee" Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:30:21 PDT >http://yp.washingtonpost.com/E/E/WASDC/0001/26/59/cs1.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d00fae05.25339edc@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:13:16 EDT Subject: Semi-TMBG: Bad, loud music for bad, loud, and annoying people In a message dated 10/11/99 12:50:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, naMytinifnI@yahoo.com writes: << --John David Crafton, who has to sit through Mambo #5 three times a day. That is all. >> Oh, man, I hate that song. That has to be the worst song on this planet, ever! I was staying at a room in Israel with my friends who kept playing Britney Spears and Bewitched on his Walkman headphones out loud, while SINGING ALOUD! For those of you who don't recognize the E-mail address, I've been off the list for a long time. I used to be RingOH@aol.com, but this SN is much cooler. (right?) Yes, I was the contributor of all the dumb posts. (NOW you remember me!) Later! That's me! The blithering idiot! Rick ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000901bf1425$681ade40$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Poll Results Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:15:47 -0700 The results are in! the winner is Both John's - 40% Flansburgh - 30.5% Linnel - 20.5% When it first started Flansburgh was kicking ass, and then both started rising while Linnell still had none, then it picked up. But thats it. -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <0.8e69904d.2533a0e1@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:21:53 EDT Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: Bad, loud music for bad, loud, and annoying people A GUY singing Brittney Spears?? Man, that is pretty bad... -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003a01bf1427$bfa365e0$31dd7aa8@hostname.bu.edu> From: "Sarah Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG At Tufts? Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:32:27 -0400 -----Original Message----- From: Casey Schreiner To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Monday, October 11, 1999 1:43 PM Subject: TMBG: TMBG At Tufts? >Greetings, list > >I just went to www.theymightbegiants.com, and discovered (to my great >surprise and delight) that TMBG would be playing at Tufts on Oct. 27th, >just a few minutes from me! Could someone clear this >up? I would rent a car and drive to Amherst, but I'd much rather save >some money and see them near Boston > >-Casey > Hey, Wow, at Tufts? That rocks! That would mean I'd get to see them on the 27th and again on the 29th in CT!! My life is complete! Well.. not really. I'd imagine that www.theymightbegiants.com has pretty accurate information. Actually, I'm surprised that they're not playing over at the Avalon like they did last year. Anyway, do you go to BU? Because I go to BU and I thought BU TMBG fans were virtually non-existent. Anyway, it's nice to know that I'm not the only person who was considering renting a car to go to Amherst to see them play. :) --Sarah __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991011210817.91694.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:08:17 PDT eRiCh wrote: >Linnel - 20.5% So 20.5% of the people on this list don't know how to spell Linnell's name? I found these results to be somewhat interesting, since there often seems to be a "Linnell is better than Flansburgh" attitude displayed on this list. Maybe the Flansburgh fans are just quieter or something. I'll admit that I voted for Linnell. I appreciate the contributions of both Johns, but I guess I find Linnell's work more exotic, or something like that. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000901bf142c$e00c9220$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: never heard about this Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:09:15 -0700 from tmbg.com--- TMBG Song On Hanukah Compilation! The Johns have a new song called "Feast of Lights" on the new Hanukah compilation "Festival of Light", out now on Six Degrees Records. Other featured artists include Wayne Horvitz & Robin Holcomb, The Klezmatics, and Frank London Big Band. also theymightbegiants.com has been updated. -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000c01bf142d$c45d5cc0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: question Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:15:38 -0700 on theymightbegiants.com it is asking for our e-mail addresses to get free music and stuff. Where do you all suppose we send that? to the club info address or maybe tmbgdot? whats her address? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001e01bf142e$0b1463c0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:17:37 -0700 So i forgot a friggin L big deal. Har Har Nathan wrote: > So 20.5% of the people on this list don't know how to spell Linnell's name? > > eRiCh wrote: > >Linnel - 20.5% ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.4b13929.2533af1b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:22:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results In a message dated 10/11/99 4:14:43 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >I found these results to be somewhat interesting, since there often seems >to >be a "Linnell is better than Flansburgh" attitude displayed on this list. > >Maybe the Flansburgh fans are just quieter or something. I'll admit that >I >voted for Linnell. I appreciate the contributions of both Johns, but I > >guess I find Linnell's work more exotic, or something like that. maybe all the linnell fans were just too lazy to vote. sarah, looking upwards and whistling ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991011214357.91808.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: question Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:43:57 PDT eRiCh wrote: >on theymightbegiants.com it is asking for our e-mail addresses to get free >music and stuff. Where do you all suppose we send that? to the club info >address or maybe tmbgdot? whats her address? My guess would be to send it to Operator Dot, but I don't know for sure. Her address is tmbgdot@aol.com -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:20:27 -0500 From: "John David Crafton" Message-ID: <7ttnre$2c8c$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results wrote in message news:0.4b13929.2533af1b@aol.com... > maybe all the linnell fans were just too lazy to vote. well, uh... I'm a Flansburgh fan, and I was too lazy to vote, so... you do the math. --John David Crafton That is all. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:06:54 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: question I know for sure. I talked to Dot herself (again: tmbgdot@aol.com, or TMBGDot on AIM), and she said e-mail her your e-mail address and your street address. Don't ask me why, I just comply. (...hey, that rhymed!) Spencer. >>on theymightbegiants.com it is asking for our e-mail addresses >>to get free music and stuff. Where do you all suppose we send >>that? to the club info address or maybe tmbgdot? whats her >>address? > >My guess would be to send it to Operator Dot, but I don't know >for sure. Her address is tmbgdot@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991011233557.33390.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:35:57 PDT John David Crafton wrote: > wrote in message news:0.4b13929.2533af1b@aol.com... > > maybe all the linnell fans were just too lazy to vote. > >well, uh... I'm a Flansburgh fan, and I was too lazy to vote, so... you do >the math. The math? Okay, the square root of Linnell times the derivative of Flansburgh with respect to Dan Hickey, divided by the absolute value of Dan Miller, minus--ah, screw it! I'm sick of this math stuff! -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.68c59c12.2533d1b0@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:50:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: wake UP, you people! i swear. you're all like cadavers. in an article from tmbg.net: >> They also figure prominently on Ted Koppel's ABC series "Brave New World" and will act as house duo for Comedy Central's "Daily Show Millennium Special." Nickelodeon and Disney will be jumping on the duo's wagon this year as well; Flansburgh and Linnell will supply music for shows and/or videos, respectively << !!!!!!! sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991012010229.99326.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: wake UP, you people! Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:02:29 PDT sarah wrote: >i swear. you're all like cadavers. Hey! I might be a dead guy, but at least I'm an EXQUISITE dead guy! -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan, rotating in his display case DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:01:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results Message-ID: <19991011.210702.3006.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" sarahnewhouselimezinger: >maybe all the linnell fans were just too lazy to vote. johndavidcrofton: >well, uh... I'm a Flansburgh fan, and I was too lazy to vote, so... you do >the math. there was a poll? ever-sincere, eriKa, who probably would have voted linnell. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <0.854ca71a.2533e381@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:06:09 EDT Subject: TMBG: Speaking of cool stuff slipping by... Sarah's post made me curious to finally check out tmbg.net, and I noticed this little bit in one of the articles: Taking their group name from a favorite cult film, the two began working up their own songs and acts and fitting into both performance art and rock shows. "We did bills with Steve Buscemi, Eric Bogosian and the Butthole Surfers," recalls Flansburgh. Steve Buscemi did music gigs?? In the same venues as TMBG???? Lordy! Kay ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b9d1697c.2533e4b5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:11:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.6ee4b27c.2533e4e2@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:12:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results Flans fan here! Why? He's left-handed (like me), he plays guitar (like me), I believe he's Jewish (like me), and he kinda seems like a nerd (like me)! Somewhere other than here Rick ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:49:57 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results Message-ID: <19991011.215000.13374.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Left-handed Rick: >I believe he's Jewish (like me) Well, before someone else jumps on yer butt about this one, I believe someone (Karen?) has dug up info saying that both Johns were raised Unitarian, but have little to do with it or any other organized religion at this point in time. But if you believe he is, you keep on believing. I'm not one to intentionally burst any bubbles. ever-sincere, eriKa, Issac Newton said something about "They May Be Giants"! A&E says so! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991011220513.00952f10@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:06:30 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Festival of Light 2 Has the Festival Of Light 2 comp. been mentioned here? It has an original TMBG song, "Feast of Lights". http://www.sixdegreesrecords.com/FOL2/index.html -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:13:56 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38029964.8669C73B@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Poll Results WooHoo!!!!! My Flansy won between the two of them. Teehee. :o) -A > The results are in! the winner is > > Both John's - 40% > Flansburgh - 30.5% > Linnel - 20.5% > > When it first started Flansburgh was kicking ass, and then both started > rising while Linnell still had none, then it picked up. But thats it. > > -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.87787dc2.2533f329@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:12:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results FLANSY???!! Don't get me wrong, Flans rocks, but HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS SACRED AND HOLY COULD SO FEW PEOPLE VOTE FOR POOR LINNY?!?! ...And why does that only add up to 91%?? Lydia Dazed, shocked, hurt and confused since 1999 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:21:35 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38029B2F.8DFD8927@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Poll Results I like FLnas 'cause he's a lefty guitar player like me too!! But I'm not Jewish...or a bit of geek either. (i hope) but he is a hottie, like me. (lol...kidding, i'm not that into myself) -A > Flans fan here! Why? He's left-handed (like me), he plays guitar (like me), I > believe he's Jewish (like me), and he kinda seems like a nerd (like me)! > > Somewhere other than here > Rick ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:01:55 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Free tape Message-ID: <1606-3802A4A3-13737@storefull-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Hey all, dex here. Anyway, I recently made this tape of some live TMBG stuff for somebody, but he kinda' flaked out. So, it's now up for grabs. The first person to E-mail me gets this tape. It features material from 3 shows. Here's the track list... _SIDE 1_: "Irving Plaza (New York)" 1] Sorry I Fucked up the Show 2] James K. Polk 3] (She Thinks She's) Edith Head 4] Ana Ng 5] Your Racist Friend 6] Spiraling Shape 7] She's Actual Size 8] 'till my Head Falls off 9] Don't Let's Start 10] Cyclops Rock 11] She's An Angel 12] Particle Man 13] The Famous Polka 14] Maybe I Know 15] Spy 16] Improv 17] Mr. Tambourine Man 18] Why Does the Sun Shine? _SIDE 2_: "Roadshow (Germany)" 1] She's Actual Size 2] I Hope That I get old Before I Die 3] Cage & Aquarium 4] Mammal 5] Kiss me, son of God 6] If I Wasn't Shy 7] Istanbul (not Constantinople) 8] Boat of Car 9] Whistling in the Dark 10] My Evil Twin 11] #3 12] Birdhouse in Your Soul 13] Maybe I Know 14] We're the Replacements 15] Particle Man 16] Road Movie to Berlin 17] I palindrome I 18] Lucky Ball & Chain 19] Lie still, Little Bottle 20] Lines Upon a Tranquil Brow "Kit Kat Acoustic Break (radio show)" 21] James K. Polk 22] How Can I Sing Like a Girl? 23] Your Own Worst Enemy 24] Older All those great songs, for aboslutely nothing! Just be the first to mail me and it's your's. And please, if you're one of those people who are lucky enough to have alot of the rare tracks featured here, as well as many live bootlegs and such, please don't attempt to win. Let's give others a chance to experience it, so we can spread the music of TMBG as much as possbile. Oh, one side note, the stuff from "Roadshow" is just the Johns, and the others are the full band. Good luck! Your's...somewhat, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:22:09 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Contest is closed Message-ID: <1607-3802A961-9231@storefull-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Okay, I've already gotten the first response. The contest is now closed. If for some reason the winner does not meet qualifications, I'll announce that it's back open. Your's...somewhat, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:27:41 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7tucel$2q9j$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Speaking of cool stuff slipping by... wrote in message news:0.854ca71a.2533e381@aol.com... > Sarah's post made me curious to finally check out tmbg.net, and I noticed > this little bit in one of the articles: > > Taking their group name from a favorite cult film, the two began working > up their own songs and acts and fitting into both performance art and > rock shows. > > "We did bills with Steve Buscemi, Eric Bogosian and the Butthole > Surfers," recalls Flansburgh. > > Steve Buscemi did music gigs?? In the same venues as TMBG???? Lordy! No, I think it means that Steve Buscemi did performance art. TMBG sometimes did performance art venues, and nobody there seemed to notice that they were actually a rock band. -Jay ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <0.ced68ad5.2534101c@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:16:28 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Speaking of cool stuff slipping by... In a message dated 10/12/99 12:15:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jay@tmbg.org writes: << > Steve Buscemi did music gigs?? In the same venues as TMBG???? Lordy! No, I think it means that Steve Buscemi did performance art. TMBG sometimes did performance art venues, and nobody there seemed to notice that they were actually a rock band. >> No, Steve used to be the lead singer in a band. Jordan ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh cheated!!!! Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 01:01:41 -0400 Message-ID: <001d01bf146e$df75a350$56062bd1@ig88> Sorry to burst all of you Flansy fan's bubbles, but I just took a poll of all my split-personality's favorites, and the big L whoooped him by a few hundred. So there, it's decided! NO IT"S NOT YOU FREAK! I VOTED FOR FLANSBURGH! SO DID I! ME TOO! Shut up you guys, I'm trying to send in our votes... BUT YOU'RE NOT TELLING THE TRUTH!!!! Why I ought to,ew[gfp[rjgpohrepogokrevgjp,[gkwpegksdvbfdbv bvfdgafads gfdhghgf dfsgfd hgh HELP! jksdgfovait let go! j;ljlj c................ AugieWan and company....... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:28:27 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7tug0f$2sqn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: Bad, loud music for bad, loud, and annoying people wrote ... > A GUY singing Brittney Spears?? Man, that is pretty bad... Then you obviously haven't heard Fountains of Wayne's cover of "Baby one more time." Man does it rock. It can help you forget Britney Spears ever existed. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:35:14 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7tugd6$2t5s$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Speaking of cool stuff slipping by... wrote in message news:0.ced68ad5.2534101c@aol.com... > In a message dated 10/12/99 12:15:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jay@tmbg.org > writes: > > << > Steve Buscemi did music gigs?? In the same venues as TMBG???? Lordy! > > > No, I think it means that Steve Buscemi did performance art. > TMBG sometimes did performance art venues, and nobody there > seemed to notice that they were actually a rock band. >> > > No, Steve used to be the lead singer in a band. Really? cool. I just thought that since he is an actor now, that he did performance art back then. What was the band's name? -Jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-12 ******************************