Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 14 Thursday, 14 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: apology (RE: Bis) TMBG: MP3's and the Linnell interview Re: TMBG: The Linnell interview TMBG: Re: John Linell on "All Things Considered" TMBG: Submitting to tmbg.org Re: TMBG: MP3's and the Linnell interview TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows TMBG: Better MP3 of Linnell on NPR TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows Re: TMBG: John Linell on "All Things Considered" Re: TMBG: Submitting to tmbg.org TMBG: Austin Powers Vol. 2 TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows Re: Clveland (was TMBG: LINNELL ON NPR TODAY) TMBG: Bowery Ballroom shows TMBG: state songs TMBG: anti-britney spears manifesto, not very TMBG related at all, but TMBG:On ICQ TMBG: Austin Powers vol. 2 Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom shows TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview TMBG: Better MP3 of Linnell on NPR TMBG: Re: state songs Re: NON-TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Re: NON-TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom shows Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: cambot@juno.com Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:56:01 -0400 Subject: TMBG: apology (RE: Bis) Message-ID: <19991013.095609.-297503.0.Cambot@juno.com> Hey. I just read my post about Bis the other day & I realized that I sounded like a right bastard being so negative like that. I don't absolutely loathe Bis, but I don't enjoy listening to them. I am sorry if it came off like that. I sounded like an asshole. cheers Steve! ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991013150738.45451.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: MP3's and the Linnell interview Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:07:38 PDT I've only received one list post in the past eight hours! What's with you people? Well, if you're not going to post anything, I shall. First of all, I've been having a bit of a problem with MP3's. I downloaded a few things from the twistid.com site, and they sounded really jumpy and jerky. I assumed that this was because of the slow speed of this computer's processor. I listened to the MP3 of the Linnell NPR interview last night, however, and it played quite smoothly. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? The interview was interesting for several reasons. One major one was that I was able to hear what is probably the closest to Linnell's regular speaking voice that I'll ever hear. Before, I've generally only heard him either singing or using an exaggerated sort of speech (at concerts, for instance). In the interview, however, he actually seemed fairly relaxed. I liked Linnell's comments about how he doesn't want to bother having his lyrics really make sense. This certainly seems to be a trend throughout Linnell's body of work. The clips that were played during the show have made me even more anxious than before to hear the album. "Michigan" sounds especially promising; you just have to love those polkas. (Well, maybe YOU don't, but I do.) I decided to pre-order the State Songs album from Restless Records, and I hope they hurry with the shipping. I don't want to be the last person here to listen to the album. -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.8ffd66a4.2536035a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:46:34 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Linnell interview In a message dated 10/13/99 11:09:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << The interview was interesting for several reasons. One major one was that I was able to hear what is probably the closest to Linnell's regular speaking voice that I'll ever hear. Before, I've generally only heard him either singing or using an exaggerated sort of speech (at concerts, for instance). In the interview, however, he actually seemed fairly relaxed. I liked Linnell's comments about how he doesn't want to bother having his lyrics really make sense. This certainly seems to be a trend throughout Linnell's body of work. The clips that were played during the show have made me even more anxious than before to hear the album. "Michigan" sounds especially promising; you just have to love those polkas. (Well, maybe YOU don't, but I do.) >> Dear Nathan, Yeah, that's his regular speaking voice, alright...I always like it when his voice suddenly gets quieter and sounds like he's not 100% secure with his wording. That's just like I am in social interaction with other folks, so I can relate. How about when he suddenly was caught a bit off guard by the interviewer saying something like "well, that's not what you said in your liner notes" (concerning what Flans thought of the State Songs album)? All in all, I think Lin is a very eloquent speaker ~ ~ and my secret wish is that someday he will write a book, as I think he spins a fine tale. Dot has told me that I'm not the only one who wishes that. I love the polkas, too ("Michigan" included), so you certainly are not alone in that respect... Karen "this muse has taken on a new odyssey" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:30:31 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <3804B3A7.5A5FC774@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: John Linell on "All Things Considered" They arent playing in Rochester any time soon and I'm pissed. :o( -A Ian Power wrote: > > I heard that John Linell was on All things Considered todah. Does anyone > know where I can hear it? I've already tried npr.org. > Also, does anyone know whether or not TMBG is playing Rochester, NY anytime > soon? > > -Ian Power > powerwings19@hotmail.com > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:18:37 -0400 From: Joe Teagno Message-ID: <3804BEDE.58042BA@mail.rit.edu> Organization: Rochester Institute of Technology Subject: TMBG: Submitting to tmbg.org I got bored a while ago and typed out the lyrics to "Four of Two" and "Finished With Lies" and submitted them to web@tmbg.org, hoping that they would be listed up there under the Miscellaneous Songs lyrics section. This was about a year ago. I've e-mailed web@tmbg.org a couple more times, but never got a response. Where are you supposed to send submissions for the chords, lyrics, and interpretations archives? Joe joe.teagno@mail.rit.edu http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3804BF74.C35AA7FE@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:20:52 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: MP3's and the Linnell interview Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > The interview was interesting for several reasons. One major one was that I > was able to hear what is probably the closest to Linnell's regular speaking > voice that I'll ever hear. Before, I've generally only heard him either > singing or using an exaggerated sort of speech (at concerts, for instance). > In the interview, however, he actually seemed fairly relaxed. he usually sounds like that on most radio appearances, even when singing. I have a bunch of tapes of radio appearances they've done, and a lot of times when they play a Linnell song it sounds downright *awful* because he hasn't warmed up. His natural vocal timbre makes his voice sound a little bit sharp, much like my vocal timbre makes me sound flat. The thing I find strange is that he has a slight lisp that can never be heard when he's singing. Then again, sometimes he uses his non-warmed-up voice for effect in recordings... especially on a lot of earlier stuff, where his voice is considerably more nasal sounding. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:20:58 GMT From: crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) Message-ID: <3804ca87.1916581@news.mindspring.com> Organization: Mindspring Subject: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows "Jay G." wrote: >This was posted to the message board by Rabid.Child@tmbg.org : > >One of the Johns' neato-benito DIY ads appeared in this week's >NEW YORK PRESS. Here's what it has to say about their upcoming >4-night stand: > >Wed., Oct. 20: WELCOME BACK PARTY! TMBG return >home and perform the official set of their national tour and a >special appearance by LOSER'S LOUNGE ABBA TRIBUTE >Downtown NYC's most inspired tribute show. > >Thu., Oct. 21: THEN SET! In addition to a full band show, >John and John will perform a special set as a duo with >Big 80's drum machine accompaniment. Son of a bitch!!!! They finally do another Then show and this is the one show out of the four that I can't make...If I hadn't already bought my Kristin Hersh tickets I might've skipped out on her that night...damn damn damn!!!!!! Why couldn't she play a 7pm show on Thursday instead or Friday(or better yet both nights)? NOOOO, she's got to play at 9pm on Thursday and make me miss a TMBG show I've been waiting for forever....GRRRRRRRRR. OK, I'm calm.... >Fri., Oct 22: HORN ATTACK! The leaves are falling and the horns >are calling you out to play. The "blow out" party features Jim O'Connor >on trumpet and Dan Levine on trombone. > >Sat., Oct. 22: NOW SET! Celebrating their MP3 only >"Long Tall Weekend" album release on eMusic, the band >will spotlight new songs. Hmm this could be good though. I'll be VERY happy to hear Reprehensible, Counterfeit Faker, and Certain People again. Although the last "Long Tall Weekend" show featured only Older, Maybe I Know, and Edith Head. Whoopie. If they do play alot of the stuff from LTW it'll make up a little bit for missing the Then show...but not much! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:31:38 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <7u2ja8$23v5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Better MP3 of Linnell on NPR I recorded the appearance digitally from WNYC which was coming in clear as a bell. I also got the part with the excerpt of The Songs of the Fifty States which was not during the actual Linnell segment. You can download it here: http://www.tmbg.net/tdk/John_Linnell-NPR's_All_Things_Considered-10-12-99.mp 3 -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:36:36 GMT From: aeg42@optonline.net (Andrew Goodman) Message-ID: <3804d10d.424471995@news.mindspring.com> Organization: MindSpring Enterprises Subject: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) wrote: >Son of a bitch!!!! They finally do another Then show and this >is the one show out of the four that I can't make...If I hadn't >already bought my Kristin Hersh tickets I might've skipped out on her >that night...damn damn damn!!!!!! Why couldn't she play a 7pm show on >Thursday instead or Friday(or better yet both nights)? NOOOO, she's >got to play at 9pm on Thursday and make me miss a TMBG show I've been >waiting for forever....GRRRRRRRRR. OK, I'm calm.... I know! UGH! I've got a midterm at 7pm that nite! Blah... is someone gonna tape these shows?? -Andrew ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <0.602904da.25362c78@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:42:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: John Linell on "All Things Considered" If the TMBG fan club ever divided up into cahpters depending on the city that you live in, us Rochesterians would be all set ^_^ -Amber the Transendent ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19991013155113.011cf3cc@mail.uplink.net> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:51:13 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Submitting to tmbg.org At 01:18 PM 10/13/1999 -0400, you wrote: >I got bored a while ago and typed out the lyrics to "Four of Two" and >"Finished With Lies" and submitted them to web@tmbg.org, hoping that >they would be listed up there under the Miscellaneous Songs lyrics >section. > >This was about a year ago. I've e-mailed web@tmbg.org a couple more >times, but never got a response. Where are you supposed to send >submissions for the chords, lyrics, and interpretations archives? I'm a bad, bad person. About a year ago, I volunteered to do the basic grunt work required to get the tmbg.org lyrics, etc archive back up to speed. Shortly after I then became a lot more busy with school (yearbook, actually) and other things than I had expected...and in short I haven't done a very good job. On another note, I'm an atheist Capricorn and a slightly bigger fan of Linnell. (Meant to post to that thread a good while back) Dylan "Mike Leffel Still Loves Me" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dylan@flipse.com http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000901bf15e0$76336300$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Austin Powers Vol. 2 Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:07:15 -0700 October 26th is a big day for tmbg-- both state songs and Austin Powers soundtrack vol. 2 with Dr. Evil come out that day. Dig up those coins in the couch! thats what i gotta do..... -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 01:21:15 GMT From: crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) Message-ID: <38052d2d.14300567@news.mindspring.com> Organization: Mindspring Subject: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows aeg42@optonline.net (Andrew Goodman) wrote: >crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) wrote: > >>Son of a bitch!!!! They finally do another Then show and this >>is the one show out of the four that I can't make...If I hadn't >>already bought my Kristin Hersh tickets I might've skipped out on her >>that night...damn damn damn!!!!!! Why couldn't she play a 7pm show on >>Thursday instead or Friday(or better yet both nights)? NOOOO, she's >>got to play at 9pm on Thursday and make me miss a TMBG show I've been >>waiting for forever....GRRRRRRRRR. OK, I'm calm.... > >I know! UGH! I've got a midterm at 7pm that nite! Blah... is >someone gonna tape these shows?? I'll be recording all three that I'm going to. I guarantee you that at least 17 other people will be taping the shows too:) I'm no good for trading because I never have time to listen to the shows I record for myself let alone other stuff too! Well at least I got to see the Then show at Irving Plaza back in '97 but after 17 shows since then(no pun intended) I think another one is long overdue! I'm tempted to buy tix anyway and go over there after KH's show is over but that probably won't be till around 10:30 and by the time I get from Maxwell's down to the Bowery the Then set would probably be over. I'll be just in time to hear Birdhouse, Particle Man, and Istanbul:) I'll have to see how late the Wednesday show starts and if it starts late enough I'll run down to the Mercury Lounge after the show and buy tickets for the next night (it's a stretch but many times TMBG don't go on until 10:45-11:00)...Lordy I think I'm getting an ulcer! BTW, how long is your midterm and how far are you from the venue? If you're in Manhattan and you're test is only 2 or even 3 hours long you could almost definitely make it in time for TMBG's set... I have a Math exam at night in November and I just KNOW that Linnell is gonna do a show on that night...I'm definitely going to 10/26 and 11/14 though so that's not really a big deal if it does happen:) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3804FC68.39F8110E@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:40:57 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: Clveland (was TMBG: LINNELL ON NPR TODAY) Joe Teagno wrote: > Although I go to college in Rochester now, I've lived in Cleveland my whole > life. In the past four years (in Cleveland), I've gone to every single one > of Their shows that I've been able to. That makes a whopping total of four. > That's right; four shows in four years! Well, I'm from Cleveland and I've seen them TEN times in the past 2 years! Ha! Well...I go to OSU in Columbus and have seen them in this area too, and I just drove to see them in Cincy last night. Ya just gotta drive! I say, we're a lot better off to see Them in Ohio than say out west somewhere, where they seem to only go rarely. At least 2-3 times a year, They come within a 2-3 hour drive of Cleveland. I'd say that's pretty good. Diana ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:35:02 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom shows Message-ID: <19991013.213503.-89111861.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I'll be recording all three that I'm going to. I guarantee you that > at > least 17 other people will be taping the shows too:) hey hey - with all this talk of taping... if you are planning on taping the shows can i please, please ask that you guys think about taping the opening bands as well. it's totally not that much of a hassle and the plus side is you can figure out your levels and stuff on them so that they'll be just perfect for TMBG. ok check ya later. "take it easy, jordan" http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html (more pics of me up! gah! i'm going crazy!) ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001f01bf15e6$22b96520$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: state songs Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:47:55 -0700 On NPR they said that critics are hailing the new album but i cant find any reviews anywhere on the web, anybody know of any? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: LvlyRita42@aol.com Message-ID: <0.e731285.25369125@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:51:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: anti-britney spears manifesto, not very TMBG related at all, but BRITNEY SPEARS IS A WHOLLY DETRIMENTAL INFLUENCE ON TODAY'S SOCIETY, AND MUST BE STOPPED! Have we not often lamented about the present state of society? The demoralization, the increasing emphasis on shallow materialism, the subjugated role of the woman...An explanation exists. All that is wrong with the world has manifested itself in the form of one utterly vacuous moron... BRITNEY SPEARS IS THE PLASTIC DEMON OF SOCIETY! Firstly, in reference to her "hit" single, "...Baby One More Time," is this not a perfect example of the lesser-than role than women have been forced to assume over the years? Just when feminism was becoming an accepted thing, the Britney, with her degrading and unconditionally man-serving lyrics, has ensured a new generation of weak female types. The Britney's influence on the preteen crowd makes any sensible person shudder when appraising what the future has in store. "Show me how you want it to be, Tell me baby." Are these not the words of an idiot? "But!" the (misguided) Britophile might cry in protest. "But, is it not so that Britney doesn't write her own lyrics? Therefore, Britney is not the one to be criticized!" NAY!!! Rather, for accepting such lyrics, for agreeing to lend one's voice (nauseating as it may be) to the production of such a message, the Britney is equally responsible as the lyricist, if not more so! The Britney's feature article in "Rolling Stone" is even more vile and loathsome. Her insufficient clothing, even worse on the inside of the magazine then on the cover (I hear), is proof of her dim acceptance of her own objectification. For this, we spit on the Britney. Thanks is owed to the Nestle Corporation for their wise decision to withdraw their plans to fund the Britney's summer tour, upon seeing the Britney's article, an article certainly a pleasure to many perverted young males. Moreover, the Britney doesn't even seem to realize that there is anything objectionable about the words of her "song", or the content of said magazine article, therefore proving her absolute failure to comprehend the most basic of issues. In other words... BRITNEY SPEARS IS LESS THAN INTELLIGENT! The Britney is conveying the idea that it is "okay" for a woman to make herself a manservant, to accept that antiquated idea of old. And now the issue that everyone is talking about... The Britney's infamous implants. When interrogated about this matter, the Britney and the Britney's representatives will give half-assed and evasive answers such as "Well, uh, like, they're not a bad thing. People have the right to choose, but that doesn't mean that I even got them...hehe...HIT ME BABY, ONE MORE TIME!" Is this sidetracking and avoidance proof of the Britney's recent plasticization? Quite possibly, but even if the Britney is telling the "truth", she is to be chastised for her lack of convincing and intelligent argument. Not once has she offered a formidable response to the accusations, which, if foisted upon any innocent person of ample intelligence, would have been met with a shocked and determined refute. BRITNEY SPEARS IS INCAPABLE OF HANDLING MATTERS AND IS THEREFORE TO BE SHAMED! HICK! HICK! SHE IS A HICK! Also disreputable is the Britney's scheduled appearance on TV's teen sensation, "Dawson's Creek"...Need more be said? YES! This is a show pandering to the nondiscerning teenage masses, a way of perverting their spirits, dissolving whatever intelligence they feebly clung on to, and giving them ground for unhealthy obsession. "Oh, that Dawson is so hot!" This ::shudder shudder:: is our future. BRITNEY SPEARS IS THE CAUSE AND THE BENEFICIARY OF OUR MISERY! BRITNEY SPEARS CREATES THE HORROR AND REVELS IN IT! And so the cycle of detestability is self-perpetuating. The rise of the Britney will give way to countless new "performing artists" who wish to follow in her vapid trail. Didn't it happen with the boy bands? The Backstreet Boys resulted in the success of equally nauseating groups such as N*Sync, who, it is of note, share a close relationship with the Britney, even embarking tours with her Siliconity. The Britney thrives in the ruins that she has spawned. She waits now, waits in her gilded shack in Louisiana, waits to launch her next move, the move that will be the ultimate death blow to all that is left of civilized and decent culture. IT IS UP TO THE INTELLECTUALS TO PRESERVE THE CULTURE! WE MUST EXTERMINATE THE IMPURE AND RESURRECT A CLEANSED NATION! The Anti-Brit Society of All That is Good calls upon you selected few to erase her presence in your sphere and to pass the word along. Please forward this message to all those people you know will be faithful to the Anti-Britney cause. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007f01bf15e7$847ee2c0$d55133cf@chriscam> From: "Chris Campbell" Subject: TMBG:On ICQ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:57:40 -0400 I don't offer much to this list, way to busy, but I thought I'd share this with you. There is a TMBG Active list that has been started on ICQ. The # is 52190088 You'll need the 99b version of icq (a quick download from www.icq.com) -Chris. P.S. - the Moxy Fruvous list # is 52190353 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991014020830.45503.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "eRiCh sPice" Subject: TMBG: Austin Powers vol. 2 Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 02:08:30 GMT October 26th is a big day for tmbg-- both state songs and Austin Powers soundtrack vol. 2 with Dr. Evil come out that day. Dig up those coins in the couch! thats what i gotta do..... -=eRiCh=- ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.99af8eba.2536a245@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:04:37 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom shows How DOES one go about lugging enough recording equipment around to "Figure out levels", without getting caught or completely bogged down by this momentous task? Oh well, I'm gettin' a bootleg :) Lydia Collection' TMBG stuff since 1837 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:23:30 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7u3kuj$2sv4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:19991013150738.45451.qmail@hotmail.com... > I've only received one list post in the past eight hours! What's with you > people? Well, if you're not going to post anything, I shall. > > First of all, I've been having a bit of a problem with MP3's. I downloaded > a few things from the twistid.com site, and they sounded really jumpy and > jerky. I assumed that this was because of the slow speed of this computer's > processor. I listened to the MP3 of the Linnell NPR interview last night, > however, and it played quite smoothly. Does anyone have any idea what could > be going on here? This could still have to do with your processor. The NPR interview on twistid.com is at a much lower bitrate than other mp3s are, and thus don't require as much processing power to decode. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:33:11 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7u3lgn$2tcq$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Better MP3 of Linnell on NPR Okay, TDK posted this to the mailing list, but appearently forgot about the newsgroup. Anyway, The Demonic Kangaroo wrote ... > I recorded the appearance digitally from WNYC which was coming in clear as a > bell. I also got the part with the excerpt of The Songs of the Fifty States > which was not during the actual Linnell segment. You can download it here: > http://www.tmbg.net/tdk/John_Linnell-NPR's_All_Things_Considered-10-12-99.mp 3 > > -Mike This is a really high quality recording of it. My only qualm is that he includes the sponsor ads at the very end of the mp3, making it that much larger, but other than that it's a keeper. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:37:05 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7u3lo4$2tk7$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: state songs -=eRiCh=- wrote ... > On NPR they said that critics are hailing the new album but i cant find any > reviews anywhere on the web, anybody know of any? If you listen carefully, you'll notice they're quoting a press release when they say that, so my guess it's just standard PR bull. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991014043026.96044.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:30:26 PDT >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message >news:19991013150738.45451.qmail@hotmail.com... > > First of all, I've been having a bit of a problem with MP3's. I >downloaded > > a few things from the twistid.com site, and they sounded really jumpy >and > > jerky. I assumed that this was because of the slow speed of this >computer's > > processor. I listened to the MP3 of the Linnell NPR interview last >night, > > however, and it played quite smoothly. Does anyone have any idea what >could > > be going on here? > >This could still have to do with your processor. The NPR interview on >twistid.com >is at a much lower bitrate than other mp3s are, and thus don't require as >much processing power to decode. Ah. I see. Why use the higher bitrate, then? Do MP3's take up less space with higher bitrates? Is there better sound quality that way? Or is it some kind of elitist thing? Anyway, thanks for the information. -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:04:46 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7u3nbu$2uv1$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote ... > >This could still have to do with your processor. The NPR interview on > >twistid.com > >is at a much lower bitrate than other mp3s are, and thus don't require as > >much processing power to decode. > > Ah. I see. Why use the higher bitrate, then? Do MP3's take up less space > with higher bitrates? Is there better sound quality that way? Or is it > some kind of elitist thing? The higher the bitrate, the better the sound quality. Usually, 128kbs is standard as is refered to 'Near-CD quality', which mean it isn't as good as a CD, but it's close. Anything under 128, and you can usually tell it's not CD quality. There are higher bitrates, up to 332 I think. -Jay ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:58:57 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom shows Message-ID: <19991014.010148.-89366829.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> well there are always bathrooms. what i always did was record the opening band... listen to a bit of it during the set change in the bathroom see what all i needed to change on the recording levels and then head back out for the main set. "take it easy, Jordan" On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:04:37 EDT HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: > How DOES one go about lugging enough recording equipment around to > "Figure > out levels", without getting caught or completely bogged down by > this > momentous task? Oh well, I'm gettin' a bootleg :) > > Lydia > Collection' TMBG stuff since 1837 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-14 ******************************