Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 16 Saturday, 16 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Cleveland concert solution! Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows Re: TMBG: Cleveland Re: TMBG: Cleveland TMBG: Bowery Ballroom/Graham Maby Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? TMBG: HOB Cybercast TMBG: Particle Man and Ace of Bass Re: TMBG: HOB Cybercast Re: TMBG: state songs Re: TMBG: state songs TMBG: more on the thing called radio... TMBG: Re: Particle Man and Ace of Bass Re: TMBG: state songs Re: NON-TMBG: more on the thing called radio... Re: TMBG: Particle Man and Ace of Base TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.11a4a5bb.25386bca@aol.com> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:36:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: Cleveland concert solution! They Might Be Giants should do a Rock Hall gig! My aforemention radio station would sponsor it! Yes! Rick who doesn't often get these good ideas in the middle of a cup of hot chocolate at 7:35 AM ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:01:16 -0500 From: "John David Crafton" Message-ID: <7u78ut$1l0b$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows wrote in message news:0.f586ca6a.2537f447@aol.com... > In a message dated 10/13/99 2:35:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > aeg42@optonline.net writes: > > > >Son of a bitch!!!! They finally do another Then show and this > > >is the one show out of the four that I can't make...If I hadn't > > >already bought my Kristin Hersh tickets I might've skipped out on her > > >that night...damn damn damn!!!!!! Why couldn't she play a 7pm show on > > >Thursday instead or Friday(or better yet both nights)? NOOOO, she's > > >got to play at 9pm on Thursday and make me miss a TMBG show I've been > > >waiting for forever....GRRRRRRRRR. OK, I'm calm.... > > > > I know! UGH! I've got a midterm at 7pm that nite! Blah... is > > someone gonna tape these shows?? > > > > -Andrew > > > DAMN you people and your "Ohhh, whine whine whine! I can only make three of > the four shows, whatever will I do?" I can only see ONE!!! > > Lydia > Hating her TMBG life right now DAMN you people and your "I can only see ONE!!!" The whole world doesn't live in NYC. Many of us can't see any! -John David Crafton Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun! That is all. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199910151310.JAA116822@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:11:07 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Cleveland All I needed to see TMBG on this tour was a show in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, OR Buffalo, and they skip over all 3. Of course they should have played Pittsburgh last night, but that fell through for some reason. --Jason-- ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d8c0b8ef.253887c9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:36:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Cleveland In a message dated 10/15/99 8:12:47 AM, jdf179@psu.edu writes: >All I needed to see TMBG on this tour was a show in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, >OR Buffalo, and they skip over all 3. Of course they should have played >Pittsburgh last night, but that fell through for some reason. i bet a buffalo date shows up eventually. it's been a while... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:22:38 -0400 From: Heather Aston Subject: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom/Graham Maby Message-id: <380746BE.78AB4190@drew.edu> Organization: Drew University Help! I got a ticket for Wednesday and one for Saturday. Now I find out they are doing a Then show Thursday, and there will be horns on Friday. Okay, I can with great difficulty forgo the horns. But Then? No. Does anyone want to go to the Wendesday show, and will take the ticket off my hand? I would feel really bad letting it go to waste. I also tuned into Jay Leno's show to see Graham Maby last night. Um, was that Graham? He sure looked different. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:02:29 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <7u7isf$1pi0$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? Robert L. Grabill II wrote in message <199910142000.QAA10392@orford.valley.net>... >...here's thing the thing you need to understand Radio Stations, 95% of what you say here is probably true. Specifically where you imply that hounding your local top 40 radio station to play Spiraling Shape (or whatever) will just be a waste of your time. What you're missing is that many areas do have one or maybe two commercial stations which *are* TMBG friendly and *are* willing to honor requests to play them. WFNX in Boston,MA and WBER on Rochester, NY come to mind. Both stations play TMBG on a semi-regular basis and both stations responded rather well to listener requests for Dr. Worm back when it was first released (even getting on both stations' top twenty lists at the time). BTW, both of these stations have internet broadcast channels if you're interested in checking them out. Maybe some other listers have their own suggestions for local stations that are TMBG friendly. In short, I think your blanket suggestion "Don't waste your time asking radio stations to play TMBG" is a bit overstated. I would suggest instead "Don't waste your time asking radio stations that don't play TMBG to play TMBG" Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000801bf1741$1bed1aa0$cec17180@dynamic.rpi.edu> From: "Rachel Vecchitto" Subject: TMBG: HOB Cybercast Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:11:39 -0400 Hey guys- Did anyone ever capture the House of Blues cybercast? I ordered the 300k stream and was all excited because I'd finally get to use my college bandwidth for something cool, but then network congestion on my end resulted in my sitting there watching an hour of crappy audio and choppy stills before I got sick of it and just stopped. Anyway, if anyone has it on CD or available for download anywhere that'd be really cool. :) Rachel *-------------------------------------------------------------x "There's only one thing that I know how to do well, and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself." - They Might Be Giants vecchr@rpi.edu thunderbird@dork.com http://www.rpi.edu/~vecchr AIM: Rach014 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:14:35 -0400 From: "Joe Teagno" Message-ID: <7u7uf8$1vna$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Rochester Institute of Technology Subject: TMBG: Particle Man and Ace of Bass I was just listening to an MP3 of Particle Man from one of TMBG's live shows, and it got me thinking... (that's dangerous, I know.) I've noticed that every time I've heard this song live, they've done something really unusual in the middle of it-- most of the time that I've seen them perform, they switch in a minor key for a few measures while slowing everything down and then go back to normal. But in this particular MP3, they switched into minor, and then broke into "I Saw the Sign" by Ace of Bass. Whenever he wasn't singing the chorus, Linnell would just sing "doo bee doo be doo be la dee da da" or something like that. After that part, he sang "Particle man, particle man. Particle man hates particle man. They have a fight, Particle wins." and then went on as normal. I have a feeling that by including the once popular but obviously short lived and, yes, annoying song, they're trying to tell us something. I interpret it like this-- Particle Man is one of those songs (like Istanbul) that pretty much brought TMBG to the public's attention. By now, they must be really sick of people recognizing them for this song and almost nothing else. (Remember all those times you've been at one of their concerts when suddenly everyone went crazy because they started playing particle man?) Maybe by putting that negative twist into their live performance of the song, the Johns are making fun of everyone who doesn't really know the rest of their music. Any thoughts on this? joe.teagno@mail.rit.edu http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.6e0565f8.2538d6d1@aol.com> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:13:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: HOB Cybercast In a message dated 10/15/99 3:07:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, vecchr@rpi.edu writes: << Hey guys- Did anyone ever capture the House of Blues cybercast? I ordered the 300k stream and was all excited because I'd finally get to use my college bandwidth for something cool, but then network congestion on my end resulted in my sitting there watching an hour of crappy audio and choppy stills before I got sick of it and just stopped. Anyway, if anyone has it on CD or available for download anywhere that'd be really cool. :) Rachel >> Don't feel too bad, the same thing happened to us. The next day we tried to watch it again, and it was a good deal better, but still not 100%. Karen MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:24:45 GMT Message-Id: <199910151924.TAA57374@mail.oh.freei.net> From: kel7 Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs >>my girlfriend just discovered a copy of state songs in the "new" section of >>our radio station!! > >I found it in the "to be reviewed" bin yesterday, and I listened to it a >couple of times tomorrow. I have to say, that's very impressive! How did you manage to master the art of time travel without telling any of us? On another note, my local TMBG-playing station doesn't have State Songs (yet) :( But they do play TMBG by request, and you can listen to them online at www.cd101.com It's a great station, and I know they have a big fan base online. So stop by and listen and request some TMBG :) ____________________________________ Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org ____________________________________ Get 100% FREE Internet Access from Freei.Net. 100% FREE, 100% Anonymous, 100% Jam Packed with features. Check us out at http://www.freei.net. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:09:44 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7u80ot$21bm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs kel7 wrote in message news:199910151924.TAA57374@mail.oh.freei.net... > >>my girlfriend just discovered a copy of state songs in the "new" section of > >>our radio station!! > > > >I found it in the "to be reviewed" bin yesterday, and I listened to it a > >couple of times tomorrow. > > I have to say, that's very impressive! How did you manage to master the art of time > travel without telling any of us? Radio stations get copies of albums and singles early, so they can play the songs and get people interested in the album before it comes out. It must be fun working at a radio station, being able to get new releases before everyone else, getting cool promotional stuff, and also being able to choose what people will isten to (if you have that sort of power). > On another note, my local TMBG-playing station doesn't have State Songs (yet) :( But > they do play TMBG by request, and you can listen to them online at www.cd101.com It's > a great station, and I know they have a big fan base online. So stop by and listen and > request some TMBG :) Do radio stations get CDs all at the same time, or do record companies slowly distribute the promo albums to them? -Jay ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b09e0b65.2538eba6@aol.com> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:42:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: more on the thing called radio... i was in the kitchen making cookies, doing dishes, taking out the garbage, fun grown-up stuff like that (;P) , and had stereolab's "dots and loops" playing from the other room. the cd started skipping, so i put the radio on instead. right after a tori amos song and a soul coughing song, they played tmbg's "till my head falls off." yeeees. so, once again, if y'ain't in the rochester area, the real audio url is: http://wber.monroe.edu. :] sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:02:53 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <7u84fm$241q$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Particle Man and Ace of Bass >Remember all those times you've been at one of their concerts when >suddenly everyone went crazy because they started playing particle man> Particle Man along with Istanbul and Birdhouse make up The Unholy Three, the three songs that they must play at each and every concert or people will get really pissy and start demanding money back. Sure they're good songs, but I'm pretty sure that the band gets sick of playing those same songs night after night and year after year. If it were up to John and John, I'm sure that they would prefer to give these songs a rest for awhile. They actually did this with Ana Ng for a bit (taking it out of their live performances for most of a year, IIRC). They frequently joke around about it. For awhile they were referring to Birdhouse as "The song we have played so many times that we could play it even if our heads were cut off." They also try to "freshen up" the songs by making changes to tempo, instrumentation, lyrics, whatever (like the Latin guitar intro for Istanbul and various lyric changes to Particle Man). Personally, I would just love ONE FRIGGIN' TIME for Particle to beat that SOB Triangle Man. Yeah, I know, sometimes Particle Man beats himself, but that's just so like him to do that. Pathetic. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991015211506.81954.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:15:06 PDT Jay G. wrote: >kel7 wrote in message >news:199910151924.TAA57374@mail.oh.freei.net... > > >>my girlfriend just discovered a copy of state songs in the "new" >section >of > > >>our radio station!! > > > > > >I found it in the "to be reviewed" bin yesterday, and I listened to it >a > > >couple of times tomorrow. > > > > I have to say, that's very impressive! How did you manage to master the >art of time > > travel without telling any of us? > >Radio stations get copies of albums and singles early, so they can play the >songs >and get people interested in the album before it comes out. I think Amy's time-travel comment was in reference to the original poster saying that he LISTENED to it a couple of times TOMORROW (note the contradiction in tenses). As for the promotional thing, it seems a bit odd to advertise a product that, for all intents and purposes, does not exist yet, but I suppose hype makes some people all the more likely to buy something when it does come out. -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991016002802.5701.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: more on the thing called radio... Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:28:02 PDT sarah wrote: > i was in the kitchen making cookies, doing dishes, taking out the >garbage, >fun grown-up stuff like that All at the same time? Wow. -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:49:11 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Particle Man and Ace of Base Message-ID: <19991015.175602.-195065.1.Garrett27@juno.com> << Maybe by putting that negative twist into their live performance of the song, the Johns are making fun of everyone who doesn't really know the rest of their music. Any thoughts on this? >> I'm very close to sure that the reason is just that They don't know the lyrics. They've also used this gibberish in other songs, in and out of concert. Sometimes They don't even know the lyrics to their own songs, let alone another artist's. This also goes along with their supposed ultra-metaphorical, simple-complexity that the Johns state has purely no complex meaning at all. They have said that people often look too deep and find unintended satire, metaphor, and messages. I agree with your reasoning. I just doubt the Johns meant anything by it, they tend to do stuff for fun and sometimes make mistakes. Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:01:02 +0000 From: scratch Message-ID: <3807A41E.CD5C8776@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > First of all, I've been having a bit of a problem with MP3's. I downloaded > a few things from the twistid.com site, and they sounded really jumpy and > jerky. I assumed that this was because of the slow speed of this computer's > processor. I listened to the MP3 of the Linnell NPR interview last night, > however, and it played quite smoothly. Does anyone have any idea what could > be going on here? What mp3 player are you using? A lot of the mp3s, especially the ones done by Adam himself, are corrupted. If you play them with WinAmp or WinPlay3 they sound okay though. If you are using either of those players, your processor is most likely the problem, otherwise try one of them. If your processor is the problem, try downmixing, downsampling, or playing in 8-bit mode. -scratch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991016023736.29281.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's and the Linnell interview Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:37:36 PDT scratch wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > > First of all, I've been having a bit of a problem with MP3's. I >downloaded > > a few things from the twistid.com site, and they sounded really jumpy >and > > jerky. I assumed that this was because of the slow speed of this >computer's > > processor. I listened to the MP3 of the Linnell NPR interview last >night, > > however, and it played quite smoothly. Does anyone have any idea what >could > > be going on here? > >What mp3 player are you using? A lot of the mp3s, especially the ones >done by Adam himself, are corrupted. If you play them with WinAmp or >WinPlay3 they sound okay though. If you are using either of those >players, your processor is most likely the problem, otherwise try one of >them. If your processor is the problem, try downmixing, downsampling, >or playing in 8-bit mode. I'm using Winamp, so the problem probably is with my processor. I'm not very good with technical matters, so I don't know how to do those things you suggested. I guess I could use some help here. -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-16 ******************************