Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 18 Monday, 18 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: DC show the 16th.. tape question/info TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 (TMBSad) Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 (TMBSad) TMBG: Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:43:01 EDT TMBG: Questions About Past/Future Linnell Performances 2-Degrees-of-Seperation-From-TMBG: Fountains of Wayne HELP!!! TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) TMBG: Win State Songs Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows Re: TMBG: Win State Songs Re: TMBG: Win State Songs TMBG: Okay, so I'm an idiot Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very Re: 2-Degrees-of-Seperation-From-TMBG: Fountains of Wayne HELP!!! TMBG: moustache? TMBG: Re: King Weed and Nevada Re: TMBG: Re: King Weed and Nevada Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows TMBG: State Songs TMBG: Re: State Songs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:27:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: DC show the 16th.. tape question/info Message-ID: Hi, Just got back from the show tonight at the 9:30 club and it was really amazing. Adam(Nitpickr) tried to Minidisc it for me and got about half of it and what we got is really high quality but I am very interested in a complete copy. If anybody got one please contact me and I am sure we can work something out, I have many CD-Rs etc... Also I got a setlist and stuff for tmbg.net, will post soon... Big A18 set... IPI,Mammal,Narrow Your Eyes,Turn Around,Guitar... plus letterbox and more... it was great... best Spy improv EVER. It is hard to explain... basically flans told each person in the band to play a different song... it was great Anyway, if you have a tape please contact me!! -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:08:17 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 (TMBSad) Message-ID: <19991017.121549.-165587.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Tis me, Mysterio Gal, replying to the set of posts discussing whether They's music is happy or sad. I know this is really old, but lately, I have not had time to check my e-mail, except on weekends, so please bear with me. There are but a few TMBG songs that I have found downright depressing: Their cover of whirlpool (the original was a LOT happier, and the TMBG version reminded me of someone dying), (she Was a) Hotel Detective (back to skull) played backwards (reminds me of one of Shakespheres tragedies, A Self Called Nowhere (made me cry when I first heard it), Stompbox (kill me now), the demo version of Don't Let's Start (made me realise the point behind the song, angst, frustration, and general unhappiness, and a whole lot of frustration) I know there are others but they aren't running through my head at the moment. Then there are the songs that are both light and dark. They either have a happy go lucky beat with depressing lyrics or vice versa. Sometimes I think they try to make themselves contradictions and paradoxes. Which is also why I like them SO much. Then there are songs that are happy in almost every way, these are about as abundant as the sad category. I think they just try to keep a balence in their music. Since I began listening to them, they'd be there for artistic inspiration, or for a musical rescue mission (i.e. big fight in the family? Why get angry, listen to TMBG and cheer yourself up.) It's my anti-depression music. If I want to be depressed, I'll flip on the radio and listen to mainstream sludge, or watch icky icky self-esteem destroying television. TMBG has been my therapy through much mental pain. John Henry is their darkest album, but It still makes me feel pretty good. well thats enough Mysterio Gal (has been too busy staring at cute boys who also like TMBG, GADS!!! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991017190442.69603.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 (TMBSad) Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:04:42 PDT Mysterio Gal wrote: >There are but a few TMBG songs that I have found downright depressing: >Their cover of whirlpool (the original was a LOT happier, and the TMBG >version reminded me of someone dying), (she Was a) Hotel Detective (back >to skull) played backwards (reminds me of one of Shakespheres tragedies, >A Self Called Nowhere (made me cry when I first heard it), Stompbox (kill >me now) I generally see "Stomp Box" as rather tongue-in-cheek, and not entirely serious with its angry and frustrated (and not "depressing" as such) mood. I don't know for sure, though. I guess I think of it as one of those emotional release type songs (sort of like some blues numbers, although "Stomp Box" is certainly not blues), where the singer basically does what the song says ("shout, shout, shout, shout, scream it out"), even though they realize that it will probably sound kind of silly later on. >Mysterio Gal (has been too busy staring at cute boys who also like TMBG, >GADS!!! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!!!) Unfortunately, no one seems to care much for us not-so-cute boys who also like TMBG. -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:43:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <19991017204301.8799.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: TMBG: Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:43:01 EDT hey fans, I know that this seems a little late, but does anyone have a set list for the April 30th show in Rochester, NY? Any help will be appreciated. -Ian ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c112cfca.253baee6@aol.com> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:59:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: Questions About Past/Future Linnell Performances Hi everyone, I have some questions concerning John Linnell's solo performances: Is it true that Mr. Linnell has only done one performance so far which featured his solo work? The only one I've heard of is a show he did at The Mercury Lounge on October 7, 1995, where he played some State Songs. Is the show date above correct? Does anyone know the setlist for the above show, listing the order the songs were played in? Also, I was wondering if anyone who is planning on going to any of Linnell's upcoming solo dates could e-mail me a copy of the setlist after the show/s? I would really appreciate it! If you can do this for me, please send the copy to: MuseKJ@aol.com Thanks! Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199910180000.UAA31028@orford.valley.net> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:00:42 -0400 Subject: 2-Degrees-of-Seperation-From-TMBG: Fountains of Wayne HELP!!! From: "Robert L. Grabill II" You want the two degrees? 1. The Fountains of Wayne guy wrote "That Thing You Do" (I think) which was sung by Mike Viola 2. Mike Viola is the lead singer of the Candy Butchers, who are link to TMBG in many ways, including having opened for them. Anyway, in a horrendous accident today, I ran over my Self-Titled Fountains of Wayne CD with my office chair. All the tracks work except for Sick Day, which I have not been able to restore by making an AIFF of it even. If someone could email me an MP3 of Sick Day, I would be forever grateful. If this would be possible, let me know. -Rob ------------------------------ Message-ID: <380A6AD1.43341BA6@fruhead.com> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:33:21 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) Well, I just got back home from DC, where I saw two excellent TMBG shows... and here is the full report... people who want setlists, I have setlists. people who want weird stuff... there was a lot of really weird stuff... day 1... first the quick and dirty setlist... bug intro / drinkin' / polk / edith / klaw / racist / birdhouse / sun / finished / radio TMBG x3 / cyclops / don't / s-e-x-x-y / so loud / whistling / ensor / actual / angel / older / twisting / guitar / particle / polka / worm // spy / tambourine man / counterfeit / nyc // maybe / istanbul now the comments... the intro was really weird... some synth background and bugs chirping, with lots of strobes going... then the Band of Dans came out and started playing Drinkin', and were joined by the Johns about a minute into the song. the confetti cannon went off during James K. Polk, and for some reason there's a breeze blowing towards the stage at the 9:30 club and everyone was showered with confetti. Mr. Klaw... lots of yelling... I can see this is a replacement for Spider eventually... Birdhouse was *quick*. no slowdown at the end, and it just ended and they went right on... they switched parts for Why Does the Sun Shine, and Flans ended up saying "It's about 96 million miles away.... or maybe 97..." and Linnell completely lost it, skipping completely over the next few lines, and finally ending with "and that's why it looks so small." Radio TMBG was done 3 times, the first two short, and the last time was the extended version. Don't Let's Start rocked as usual. Flans actually sand the "I don't want to live in this world anymore..." lines while Linnell screamed... actually, the whole song was done pretty much "straight." s-e-x-x-y was the long version, with the guitar solo intro. Whistling in the Dark was done with the big bass drum, and it was carefully explained that they would *not* be doing it again on Saturday... Meet James Ensor was the fast version, despite several shouts of "slow!" from the audience. Flans said he would start it out slow and then speed it up when everyone else joined in. She's an Angel was done blazingly fast. Like... considerably faster than it even is on the album... Older was introduced by saying it was from the Brave New World series. Nothing special happened during Particle Man. Spy was done with a new(ish?) extended intro. During Linnell's part of the Spy improv, he started playing the opening riff of Mr. Tambourine Man on his keyboard, and began singing it, but was horribly off key, and stopped. Then he tried a different key and a different patch on his keyboard and it sounded worse. So then he brought the entire band in and they played the whole song, confusing the hell out of Flans every time the instruments stopped while he was singing... Counterfeit Faker with the heads was... interesting. Definitely the vocals from the LTW/FS version, but the instrumentation is completely different. There's like... piano in it. Istanbul with the acoustic guitar intro... other stuff... they soundchecked Certain People I Could Name and Rat Patrol (to tease us I guess...) so you lucky bastards who live in New York will get to hear them *AGAIN* and no one outside New York will ever hear them because they don't realize we like them, too. they were tired. apparently they had left San Francisco at 4 that morning. so they didn't have a lot of energy during the show, but... the audience didn't seem that into it, either. the cheers between encores were fairly quiet, except for a few EVIL people chanting "Istanbul!" (while the rest of us were shouting "Anything but Istanbul!") on to night 2.... first, the setlist: bug intro / spider / guitar / istanbul / polk / klaw / cyclops / ana ng / shoehorn / pet name / palindrome / maybe / letterbox / narrow / radio tmbg / so loud / spy / turn around / older / twisting / sun / til my head / nyc // mammal / particle / polka / worm // counterfeit / birdhouse and now the details... they came out earlier this time, and 4 of them (John, John, Hickey and Miller) were wearing fake mustaches. Linnell looked an awful lot like Hitler with his, and Flans' kept falling off. Danny Weinkauf's was the only real one... istanbul was very close to the album version... no acoustic guitar, and Dan Miller's intro was almost exactly the violin part... James K. Polk with the cannon again, Mr. Klaw with the yelling... Ana Ng was done.... with no intro, and fast the whole way through. Dan just counted off the intro and Linnell started singing. Very unexpected, but very cool. Shoehorn was done and we were spared the "Born in a graveyard" intro... Flans came up with something new, and it was actually funny.[1] Dan Hickey looked really good with the mustache. Linnell kept trying to introduce I Palindrome I but lots of people were yelling... he finally told them to shut up and introduced the song. Letterbox was written at the very bottom of the setlist and covered with tape on most of them, so Flans had no idea what they were going to play. Linnell had to explain to him "Well, it's the only song we do in 6... it begins with an L... it's on Flood.... and it's called Letterbox..."[2] Narrow Your Eyes was pretty cool. my first time ever seeing it, and Flans introduced it as being autobiographical... Spy... oh, my, Spy... during the improv, Flans pulled a piece of paper out of his shirt pocket and started pointing at the band... he instructed each of them to play the song he named... and gave them 4 different songs, about 3 times... it was really amusing, especially the last one, where Dan Miller had to play Pachelbel's Canon, Weinkauf had to do "Good Vibrations" and Linnell got Del Shannon's "Runaway." I forget what Dan Hickey was doing that time... Turn Around was introduced with Linnell telling everyone he often screws up which albums which songs are on, and he thought this one was on Apollo 18... and this was confirmed both by other members of the band and the audience. Til My Head Falls Off... Linnell switched the "...and when I lean my head..." lines but otherwise it was cool. Another one I didn't expect to hear. Mammal was not on the setlist, but a bunch of skulls were. During Particle Man, Linnell played *something* but I haven't a clue what it was. During the Famous Polka Flans allowed someone to play his guitar, but apparently wasn't very clear with his instructions because the person kept trying to hold the guitar. Then Flans' obscenely thick pick got stuck in the strings and fell down, so he had to get another one... Counterfeit Faker was done, again with the heads, and Linnell's was wearing the mustache that he had been wearing throughout the show (the other people had removed theirs at various points during the show, but Linnell apparently liked his...) other details... they were much more into this show, although it was considerably shorter... not a lot of talking. mostly just songs. You Were Spiraling opened both nights and were excellent, as always. [1] No, I don't remember what it was. [2] Linnell is apparently confused. Or he forgets that they have songs such as "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," "Dead," and "I'll Sink Manhattan," all of which are also in 6/8 time. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:33:09 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Win State Songs Message-ID: <19991017203309.A56267@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets www.tmbg.org is giving away several copies of State Songs thanks to some help from the good folks at Rounder Records (www.rounder.com). Vist www.tmbg.org and sign up, and don't forget to buy a copy of State Songs if you don't win! -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:09:56 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows Message-ID: On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Capn eriKa rae wrote: > > an ungrateful maggot: > >Damn you and your "ungrateful maggots!!!" I happen to be an ungrateful > maggot, > >as you so label them, and don't appreciate being referred to in that > tone of > >voice! Besides, the only time I hear TMBG is through the stomachs of > various > >carrion! Don't give me that "Mir space station" crap! Try living in a > dead > >cow's liver, and see how good your life really is! > > Damn you! I am that cow's liver! I love TMBG, and I don't even have ears! > Whaddya think that's like, HUH?! Not so cocky anymore, are ya, mister? > > Damn you! Not for any particular reason, just damn you! Damn! --Jammal, dammit! ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <0.a558d207.253bd90b@aol.com> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:59:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Win State Songs Well, I think I entered...I typed my name in and hit the enter key, but there was nothing confirming my entry...is there any way we can no for sure if we're entered or not? I don't wanna miss out on this chance! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:19:16 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG: Win State Songs Message-ID: <19991017221915.A60522@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 09:59:39PM -0400, Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > Well, I think I entered...I typed my name in and hit the enter key, but there > was nothing confirming my entry...is there any way we can no for sure if > we're entered or not? I don't wanna miss out on this chance! If there were any problems you would have gotten an error message. All is well. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991018022707.12616.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: TMBG: Okay, so I'm an idiot Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:27:07 CDT For some strange reason, I feel compelled to be on the non-tmbg list. Ignorantly, I assumed that Majordomo hosted this as a seperate list... apparently, according to the 'list' command results I received, and the "no such list" message it spat at me after sending it 'subscribe non-tmbg list", there isn't a dedicated list. What gives? Please tell me how to get the messages from this list. Once in awhile, I receive non-tmbg messages, but I'm assuming that I'm not getting all of them. Thanks in advance, -Kristina "stuck at work again" Panos ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199910180252.WAA36960@f04n05.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:52:36 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very At 08:33 PM 10/17/1999 -0400, lawrence solomon wrote: >[2] Linnell is apparently confused. Or he forgets that they have songs such >as "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," "Dead," and "I'll Sink Manhattan," all of which >are also in 6/8 time. Yeah, but how often are any of those played live? --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:04:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: 2-Degrees-of-Seperation-From-TMBG: Fountains of Wayne HELP!!! Message-ID: Just thought I would input a little piece of info I happen to know... I was backstage at a Fountains of Wayne/Smashing Pumpkins show three years ago(long story)... and I got to hang out with Fountains of Wayne... AND... if you look at the CD... you will see... that Danny Weinkauf plays bass on the CD!!! He was also on that tour and I remember seeing him but of course that was years before he started with Lincoln or TMBG so its a really odd little story :) But you don't have to stretch for the connection ;) -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Robert L. Grabill II wrote: > You want the two degrees? > > 1. The Fountains of Wayne guy wrote "That Thing You Do" (I think) which was > sung by Mike Viola > 2. Mike Viola is the lead singer of the Candy Butchers, who are link to TMBG > in many ways, including having opened for them. > > > Anyway, in a horrendous accident today, I ran over my Self-Titled Fountains > of Wayne CD with my office chair. All the tracks work except for Sick Day, > which I have not been able to restore by making an AIFF of it even. If > someone could email me an MP3 of Sick Day, I would be forever grateful. If > this would be possible, let me know. > > -Rob > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:31:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: moustache? Message-ID: Did anybody get any pics of the Johns with the fake moustaches from saturday? that was so hilarious! I know the 9:30 security is tight but maybe one got through... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:50:04 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ue4ft$1u6a$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: King Weed and Nevada Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:19991016210805.96792.qmail@hotmail.com... > Is the RealVideo version of King Weed still available anywhere? I had heard > that it was up at the Brave New World page on abc.com, but it doesn't seem > to be there anymore. Also, does anyone have an MP3 or some such of the FULL > version of Nevada (the twistid.com site only has the first minute and a > half)? realvideo of king weed: http://bagoftricks.cjb.net I have a mp3 of the full version of Nevada, but considering that the album will be out in a little over a week, you'll just have to wait to hear it on that. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991018034534.28394.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: King Weed and Nevada Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:45:33 PDT Jay G. wrote: >realvideo of king weed: http://bagoftricks.cjb.net Actually, it's still up at the ABC site, too. I just wasn't looking in the right place. Unfortunately, the RealVideo wasn't very good, so I only saw a few stills from the video, but I did get to hear the song. >I have a mp3 of the full version of Nevada, but considering that the album >will be out in a little over a week, you'll just have to wait to hear it on >that. Doesn't the album have a different version of "Nevada," though? -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19991017235449.009a95e0@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:57:17 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows At 01:20 PM 10/16/99 -0700, you wrote: >Lydia wrote: >> > DAMN you people and your "I can only see ONE!!!" The whole world >>doesn't >> > live in NYC. Many of us can't see any! >> >>DAMN you people and your "The Whole World!" I'm living in the perilously >>predicamented Mir space station and am COMING DOWN for one show! So don't >>you >>give me that WHOLE WORLD crap! Ungrateful maggots!!! > >You're lucky to live in this universe! I live in another reality, and would >have to incarnate to be able to see a TMBG show! Ungrateful physical >beings. You and your petty realities. I happen to be the brain in a jar, hooked up to a computer, imagining your silly little reality. And every time I want to see TMBG, I have to imagine the entire event. I bet you can imagine that that takes some of the excitement out of it, eh? Silly ungrateful figments of my imagination. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001101bf191d$553759a0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: State Songs Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:00:35 -0700 I got an advanced copy of 'State Songs' the other day and I really really like it. All the songs on the earlier state songs release are re-tooled but not totally redone except Pennsylvania. Nevada has new lyrics but all the songs werent re-recorded. If any of you want to know anything more just ask, i didnt want to give too much away... -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:24:38 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ue6gf$1vm8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs -=eRiCh=- wrote in message news:001101bf191d$553759a0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com... > I got an advanced copy of 'State Songs' the other day and I really really > like it. All the songs on the earlier state songs release are re-tooled but > not totally redone except Pennsylvania. Nevada has new lyrics but all the > songs werent re-recorded. If any of you want to know anything more just > ask, i didnt want to give too much away... But the ending of Nevada is still extended right? Is it significantly different than the Hello CD version in that respect? -Jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-18 ******************************