Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 19 Tuesday, 19 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Friday @ The Bowery Ballroom Sorta TMBG: You Were Spiraling. Re: TMBG: They Lied? @ nightclub 9:30 Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) TMBG: Thurs. @ The Bowery... TMBG: New haven people? TMBG: John Linnell Tour Re: TMBG: John Linnell Tour Re: Sorta TMBG: You Were Spiraling. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19991018175635.43207.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristin ." Subject: TMBG: Friday @ The Bowery Ballroom Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:56:35 EDT I have an extra ticket for Friday night at the Bowery Ballroom.... Let me know if you are interested (face value) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01bf1993$2cc10f40$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: Sorta TMBG: You Were Spiraling. Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:04:08 -0600 Anyone know where I can get an mp3 of You Were Spiraling covering "Take On Me"? Thanks, in advance. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico Oh yeah, and get paid to surf the web, while you're at it... http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=AVV-359 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <0.1a6aac41.253cd3f5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:50:13 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Lied? @ nightclub 9:30 Well, sorta.Did anyone else catch that when they said @ the 9:30 club that they had never played 2 nights in a row there, that they were somewhat incorrect. In 1995, TMBG played on Feb 14 and 15 at WUST Radio Music Hall, which happens to be the building and stage that is now the new 9:30 club. So, they did in fact play 2 nights in a row at the 9:30 club LOCATION, just not name. In fact, if you were there then you'd know that the old set up left much to be desired. There was lots of flaking grey paint, no bars, no food, nothing nice. Just good music! I remember at those shows no one but VIPs were even allowed into the balcony, so there were only 5 people up there. Ah, memories. I will say though at this most recent pair of performances, I thought Friday's "Spy" was the best, and the best I'd ever seen, second to one of their performances I saw in L.A. Cheers, MST ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.cdc06f1c.253ce91a@aol.com> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:20:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) jdf179@psu.edu writes: << >[2] Linnell is apparently confused. Or he forgets that they have songs such >as "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," "Dead," and "I'll Sink Manhattan," all of which >are also in 6/8 time. Yeah, but how often are any of those played live? >> I've heard a live bootleg copy of "Dead" from TDK's website. It was performed solo by Linnel -- Flansburgh was sick. It was only accordion. He may have just done it to keep the crowd happy. I've never been to a concert, so I really don't know. He might do it often, he might not. Other than that, I have nothing to contribute to the discussion. Rick Please don't yell at me! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991018221728.4188.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:17:28 PDT Rick wrote: >jdf179@psu.edu writes: ><< >[2] Linnell is apparently confused. Or he forgets that they have songs >such > >as "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," "Dead," and "I'll Sink Manhattan," all of > which > >are also in 6/8 time. > > Yeah, but how often are any of those played live? >> > >I've heard a live bootleg copy of "Dead" from TDK's website. It was >performed >solo by Linnel -- Flansburgh was sick. It was only accordion. Wasn't it keyboard, actually? If we're thinking of the same recording, he forgot a lot of the words. I doubt that he does it very often in concert. TDK's page also has recordings of live versions of those other two songs. They HAVE been played live before, but are hardly regular parts of the live show. "Letterbox" is probably Their only commonly played live song that's in that meter. -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <0.3d0aa14d.253cfa7b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:34:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) In a message dated 10/18/99 6:30:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << >I've heard a live bootleg copy of "Dead" from TDK's website. It was >performed >solo by Linnel -- Flansburgh was sick. It was only accordion. Wasn't it keyboard, actually? If we're thinking of the same recording, he forgot a lot of the words. I doubt that he does it very often in concert. >> ::cough::: I was there. It was accordion. The reason he did this is because the show ended very early without flans, and he had to keep the crowd entertained...the only song he thought of to do was Dead....I guess its maybe the only song Flans doesnt do anything on....but he could have done others...They do NOT EVER do Dead live. This was the first and only time.. He forgot the words to the bridge. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <380BA853.DB8F93B4@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 19:08:03 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They're not posing as what?! (9:30 reviews - very long) HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > anything on....but he could have done others...They do NOT EVER do Dead live. > This was the first and only time.. ahem. not true, either. it used to be played fairly regularly from 1990-1992, until they got the full band. At most of the shows in early 1992, there would be some technical problem and Linnell would just sort of insert Dead into the setlist until it got resolved. In a lot of cases, he completely left out the bridge. There's one recording from April of 1992, though, where he performs the entire song and remembers all the lyrics. The first time they ever played it was 11/25/89, and it was followed by Linnell commenting "I've never played that song in public before... I was a little scared..." -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: SazzyPuff@aol.com Message-ID: <0.eeb223fe.253d0e1f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 19:58:23 EDT Subject: TMBG: Thurs. @ The Bowery... I have an extra ticket for Friday night at the Bowery Ballroom.... Let me know if you are interested (face value) Speaking of extra tickets.... I have one for Thursday night with the Candy Butchers as the openers. Let me know if you are interested. ~SazzyPuff ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:27:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: New haven people? Message-ID: I am thinking of going to the new haven show... I would spend the weekend in the area... I already have talked to a couple people who may be able to put me up and stuff but if there is anybody going could they contact me? I may need backup plans :) -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000701bf19cf$4e4da7e0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: John Linnell Tour Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:14:34 -0700 www.theymightbegiants.com has the official list of JL's State Song tour-- one of which is a radio performance at KCRW radio , I checked the website and it has a real audio stream of its live broadcast so none of us will miss it if you live far from Santa Monica, CA. -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <0.593466c6.253d3306@aol.com> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 22:35:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: John Linnell Tour In a message dated 10/18/99 9:14:47 PM, cannon10@home.com writes: << www.theymightbegiants.com has the official list of JL's State Song tour-- one of which is a radio performance at KCRW radio , I checked the website and it has a real audio stream of its live broadcast so none of us will miss it if you live far from Santa Monica, CA. >> and if you do miss it, KCRW is good about keeping the recordings and archives up for a while. Which show is he playing on? I could see him more on the Open Road or maybe Weekend Becomes Eclectic, rather than MBE. MST >> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 22:22:14 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ugn7v$9t5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Sorta TMBG: You Were Spiraling. Nicholas Wolf wrote ... Anyone know where I can get an mp3 of You Were Spiraling covering "Take On Me"? Thanks, in advance. Currently, there is nowhere you can get it, although I did talk to YWS, and they said there were plans to put it up on mp3.com, if they can navigate through the legal issues. -Jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-19 ******************************