Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 25 Monday, 25 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Setlist: Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, 10/23/99 TMBG: "It's So Loud In Here" and it's chances of being on the next album Re: TMBG: Review/Setlist: Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, 10/22/99 Re: TMBG: "It's So Loud In Here" and it's chances of being on the next album Re: TMBG: Which songs will be on the next album? Re: TMBG: Review/Setlist: Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 TMBG: "I Enjoy Being A Boy (In Love With You)" - Banana Splits (RA File) Re: Kinda-TMBG: Banana Splits Tunes Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Re: TMBG: Review/Setlist: Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, 10/22/99 TMBG: State Songs Gigs TMBG: Chanukkah Festival Of Lights Re: TMBG: State Songs Gigs Re: TMBG: TMBG Tattoos TMBG: TMBG reference on SNL! TMBG: sat bowery show Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Re: Kinda-TMBG: Banana Splits Tunes TMBG: What I Did Today TMBG: non-tmbg:aww crap! TMBG: prior e-mail Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c8089921.25441be5@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:23:01 EDT Subject: TMBG: Setlist: Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, 10/23/99 Hi there again everybody, Tonight was kind've interesting, before I even left for the show, I saw the new license plates that fate had bestowed upon me, and the first three initials on it were JNH (my favorite TMBG album is John Henry, too...how sweet is that?)...later on, while I was standing in line for tonight's show, John L. and his wife walked little baby Henry past me (and everyone else in the line then) in a stroller. It was getting kind've dark out, but the streetlights allowed me to see Henry's cute little face in the stroller. Henry sat there with a look of wonder on his face as his folks pushed him down the street, probably to get coffee or something. I know his (the baby's) hair is light brown, but the orange lights made his hair seem blond. He has the large eyes of his father, but I think all in all, he looks like both his parents. While that was going on with me, my husband had gone down to Little Italy to grab a bite to eat, and he runs into Mayor Guliani (he shook his hand, and said hello)...supposedly the mayor was out meeting the people (the Yankees won the first World Series Game tonight, and their was a KKK Rally in NYC today, so it might have had something to do with one of those things). I got to meet some more list members tonight: Lydia (yay, she got in!!), and Kevin Sullivan and his girlfriend, Patricia, who are two of the sweetest people you'd ever want to meet. OK, tonight's show went as follows: Michael Shelley opened. Okay, so he's not my cup of tea, but he was okay. I thought his music sounded kind've homogenized..maybe the kind of music one would listen to if spending a lazy day at the beach? His lyrics are a bit of a downer, I thought. He threw about 4-5 hot apples pies from McDonald's out to the audience, which I thought was nice of him. I've heard Mr. Shelley is a very nice guy to talk to. TMBG: Drinking They Got Lost (slow version) Rat Patrol (first time I've heard this one in concert, Linnell did a tiny bit of that cool high-pitched voice that echos at the end of the song..) She Thinks She's Edith Head Operators Are Standing By (Flans wanted to make sure he was in the right key before he started singing...he really seemed determined not to "fuck up the show" -- again, first time I've heard this in concert) Certain People I Could Name (another new concert song for me...this was like a go-go version of it...Lin forgot the words to the ending, and Flans teased him, calling it one of their "incomplete songs" for the evening) Radio They Might Be Giants (full song) Cyclops Rock (this song is becoming very popular with concertgoers, I can see that now) Why Does The Sun Shine?, with extra tacked on ending (last line of music somewhat repeated)..."copper wire, silver wire, jewelry-making tools..all a gas" and "Estrogen, Estrogen, Estrogen, and more Estrogen (this line is becoming quite popular, too) It's So Loud In Here (what a great rockin' concert number this is!) Flans talks of knowing someone who lives across the street from him with Alzheimer's...he said there's a difference between relatives who have Alzheimer's and strangers who have it...the difference being that you don't care when strangers have it (I have written that story down the way I remember it...if it's inaccurate in any way, please correct me), which he said leads him to his next song: Reprehensible (Hooray!...and with John Linnell on clarinet! Flans on just vocals, not guitar, with the Dans Band...it sounded damned good, I thought--this is my fave TMBG song) Next, Flans talked about rifling through Michael Shelley's stuff in their trailer while on tour with them, and finding things which proved that Michael Shelley and his band are not a real band, but are secretly working for the FBI...so this led into: Working Undercover for the Man (again, never heard this in concert before, interesting sort-of-slow version with Dan Miller on acoustic guitar) Letterbox (he said, "since we just learned to play this now, and tonight is the *Now* show, we'll include this one tonight"..Lin commended those of us who could lip sync along on this number, saying he gives us "a hearty salute") Thunderbird (this song is just exquisite...this is the second time I've heard it performed in concert, and it's just the greatest -- 'nuff said) Older (During the beginning part of the song, Flans gradually lowered the volume down on his guitar, till it was a barely audible whisper, Danny Weinkauf and Dan Miller doing their freeze-frame poses during the song's pauses) On The Drag (awesome! what a powerful part of the evening) Mr. Linnell picked up his accordion at this point. Dr. Evil (Robin came out, and said "The Yankees are winning, 4-1," and we all let up a big cheer for her :-) After her flawless performance tonight, Lin said "and that's why the Yankees do so well.") Linnell said that "a lot of folks do songs about evil doctors, but we thought it would be nice to do a song about a worm, who thinks he's a doctor," which led into -->>> Dr. Worm (again, great concert number! -- always brings down the house, he threw some of The Banana Splits' "I Enjoy Being A Boy (In Love With You)" in there, too..you might have changed the word cucumber to coconut, and boy to girl, but I figured out what song you were playing there, John :-) Finished with Lies (absolutely touching and beautiful, as always) Mr. Linnell back on keyboards. James K. Polk...Lin wanted to do something different with the song tonight, so the confetti cannon went off after the second stanza line "and annex the land the Mexicans command," instead of the first stanza line "Lewis Cass, a general and expansionist" (I'll bet a lot of folks were quite confused when that cannon didn't go off at the usual moment..some of the confetti blew back up into a small cloud off the floor, and then started falling back down right before they were about to play the next song -- Flans had to note "that's some high-quality confetti, there") Birdhouse In Your Soul (lots of pogo bouncing tonight) The Guitar (still more pogo bouncing, there was a musical jam by the band at one point, some strobes thrown in for good measure, some improv, a bass solo by Mr. Weinkauf -- who was then joined by Dan Miller on guitar before the song's ending. There was a *lot* of stomping and chanting tonight before the encores...before the second encore, Everyone was chanting "They Might Be Giants" the same way you hear it on the song, "They Might Be Giants." This made for quite a nice change from the usual chant for Istanbul, and may have been a factor in the band's coming back out again. Encore One: Counterfeit Faker (in the dark, with the dummy heads...Linnell put his puppet in front of Dan Miller and his guitar again..Flans' puppet still has a mustache..I just love this song!) Istanbul, with Dan Miller's acoustic guitar intro (Latin version of the song) Encore Two: Maybe I Know (flawless!) Improv with musical introductions of the band members...Dan Hickey drum solo... Flans and Dans Band play a piece of Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher," with Flans singing a portion of the lyrics. New York City (people were really going wild for this one tonight..song ending with the band extending their hands up to say "goodbye," with the audience doing the same back to them) Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 09:57:36 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: "It's So Loud In Here" and it's chances of being on the next album Message-ID: <28527-38133A80-14116@storefull-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> So, if any of you would refer to the Irving Plaza show (the one broadcast over the net and the popular bootleg floating around), John Flansburgh says before they perform Cyclops Rock that "We've got this album that's totally not out yet, and this is a song from that album," or something along those lines (so that's pretty much guarenteed on the next album, or so says Flansy). Then later on in the evening, right before they play ISLIH, Linnell says "Here's a song that will be on the album after the album,,.," implying that it won't be on the next album, but the one after that. So, with this we have some good news and bad news. Bad news: ISLIH will not be on the next album (or so says Linnell). Good news: This means there will at least be 2 more TMBG albums before they call it quits (which is hopefully a long time away). But what Linnell said should be taken into careful consideration before we assume that ISLIH will be on the next album. Your's...somewhat, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991024172434.25149.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "something else other" Subject: Re: TMBG: Review/Setlist: Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, 10/22/99 Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 17:24:34 GMT >set: their version of aha's "Take On Me" (Mr. Brislin carried that >song's difficult vocal ranges with amazing accuracy), earned the >band a foot-stomping demand for "one more song!" There wasn't time >for that in the schedule, though, and off they went. I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I was right in front of Tom and his moog during their set when I saw them live in St. Louis ... he's a whiz with that thing ... and I caught how he did that vocal thing. It was all synth. I got to talk to him afterwards, but I never did ask him about it. -Samantha ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991024173013.91265.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's So Loud In Here" and it's chances of being on the next album Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:30:12 PDT Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >So, if any of you would refer to the Irving Plaza show (the one >broadcast over the net and the popular bootleg floating around), John >Flansburgh says before they perform Cyclops Rock that "We've got this >album that's totally not out yet, and this is a song from that album," >or something along those lines (so that's pretty much guarenteed on the >next album, or so says Flansy). Then later on in the evening, right >before they play ISLIH, Linnell says "Here's a song that will be on the >album after the album,,.," implying that it won't be on the next album, >but the one after that. So, with this we have some good news and bad >news. Bad news: ISLIH will not be on the next album (or so says >Linnell). Good news: This means there will at least be 2 more TMBG >albums before they call it quits (which is hopefully a long time away). >But what Linnell said should be taken into careful consideration before >we assume that ISLIH will be on the next album. We also know that what the Johns say isn't always entirely serious, and that They don't always know exactly what They're talking about. I seem to recall reading in an old Info Club newsletter that a studio version of ISLIH has already been recorded. That doesn't necessarily mean that They'll use it on the next album, though. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991024180727.36816.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: Re: TMBG: Which songs will be on the next album? Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 14:07:26 EDT Probably "Older", and in their newsletter they said "She Thiniks She's Edith Head" will probably make it on too. -Ian Power ----Original Message Follows---- From: "Joe Teagno" Reply-To: "Joe Teagno" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Which songs will be on the next album? Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 22:11:49 -0400 Hi, everybody. I was just listening to some MP3s of a few lives shows, I started wondering which songs of theirs they said they would put on their next album, and which ones would probably wind up there anyway. Here is what I have come up with so far: Cyclops Rock Thunderbird (There was one other one, but I forgot what it was! :) ) Can anybody help me out on this one? Maybe it's not even worth speculating what'll be there (especially since we have more important State-Songs-type of things to do in a few days...) Joe joe.teagno@mail.rit.edu http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c7a3916d.2544aec4@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 14:49:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Review/Setlist: Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, In a message dated 10/24/99 1:25:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, samantha1983@hotmail.com writes: << I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I was right in front of Tom and his moog during their set when I saw them live in St. Louis ... he's a whiz with that thing ... and I caught how he did that vocal thing. It was all synth. I got to talk to him afterwards, but I never did ask him about it. -Samantha >> Hmm..well, even if there was synth accentuation done on the vocals, wouldn't one have to at least have the range to reach those notes, before anything could be added to them? Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.70beac75.2544bc45@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:47:17 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Well, Karen gave a really good description of what happened during the last two shows. So I'll fill in some of my own gaps. Day 3 - Horn Attack Was it me, or did it seem like Stan Harrison, their ringer tenor sax player, seemed just a BIT out of his element? When he was attempting to dance during Purple Toupee, it's loked like a feeble attempt. But hey, I shouldn't complain about that, because he's a jazz player in real life, and we didn't exactly come to the show to watch him dance. The best numbers were the ones where we had a 4-piece horn section, including Linnell on bari. Spy was especially sweet with the lineup. I wish they could do it like that every night. Also on Purple Toupee, Linenell was obviously trying to read off of a lyric cheat sheet. He still screwed up some lyrics. Oh well, what can you ask for a band to do almost 60 different songs over 4 nights! (More on that in another post). I ATTEMPTED to conga. It sure it hard when NO ONE will give up their place and the crowd is tight as it is. But I actually reliquished my spot in the front row to do so, and of course had to stand in the back for the rest of show. Oh well, I REALLY wanted to conga that night, and dammit, I was going to. Too bad that crowd DIDN'T. Now we know why they don't do that song much anymore. Radio They Might Be Giants. Flans wanted to do it in a different style. I yelled for "Ska!" Flans said, "Ska?" Funny that Flans has written recently some ska-influenced stuff, like "Cyclops Rock" and "Boss of Me". TMBG sounds so much better with the "full" band. They can't be spontaneous when their horn players are reading sheet music (Shana got the tenor sax part to "Spy"), but it sure sounded incredible. It really adds to a lot of the songs, particularly "No One Knows My Plan" and "Dr. Worm". Day 4 - The NOW set Well, the place was packed even tighter that night. Howevere, if you came to hear songs you knew, this was not the show. They saved songs that you know for the last 5 songs. Everything else was brand new stuff or stuff that they just learned how to play "Letterbox". Linnell had tons of fun joking around how these songs are "almost perfect". Most songs seemed to be just that, close to perfect. But that's part of the fun, I think the Giants would lose a lot of their luster if they performed everything perfectly. They are sometimes at their best when they are trying to cover up their mistakes. Dr. Worm. Linnell did the whole "I Enjoy Being a Boy" song from the Banana Splits. Now I know some of you listees are going out there looking for a recording of this song. If you can, you are a better person than I. James K. Polk. Not only did Linnell fire the cannon during the 2nd stanza, Linnell alos asked the 2nd stanza to be played quietly. That's the sign of a great band, that they can just be tight enough to change styles just like that. Also, during Dan Miller's solo, Flansburgh sneaked to the back and was playing with a knob on Miller's amp. I don't think it was the volume knob, must have been a different knob. During sound check, I heard them doing "Certain People" many different ways to see which one they would do that night. Oh, he fudged a couple of lyrics on it as well. Linnell is a really good clarinet player. I could sense he was kinda nervous since he seemed to be holding back a bit on the solo. The flashbulbs went nuts when he was holding his black axe. It was my first time hearing "Working Undercover For The Man". Really cool song, can't wait to hear it on the next album. The first time in a long time I couldn't sing along to a song! What a wonderful week just to make it simple. 6 hours of TMBG folks. If you missed it somehow, it will turn up somewhere. See you later. - John "JJR" Ryan ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.1b52efb7.2544bec6@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:57:58 EDT Subject: TMBG: "I Enjoy Being A Boy (In Love With You)" - Banana Splits (RA File) Well, I actually did find a Real Audio file of the Banana Splits song that LInnell covered during Dr. Worm because it has the same chords to it. Here is the link. http://www.g eocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/2927/bspl7.ra ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.1ef42d55.2544c79f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:35:43 EDT Subject: Re: Kinda-TMBG: Banana Splits Tunes In a message dated 10/24/99 3:49:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, JJRRutgers@aol.com writes: << Dr. Worm. Linnell did the whole "I Enjoy Being a Boy" song from the Banana Splits. Now I know some of you listees are going out there looking for a recording of this song. If you can, you are a better person than I. >> Well, after listening to the complete song at the following website late last night, I think Mr. Linnell only played a part of the song, and as I stated before, he changed some of the words, too: http://www2.wi.net/~rkurer/bsplitsra.htm You'll need Real Audio to listen in, but you're able to hear most of the music the Banana Splits did on the site. They were encoded from 30-year old vinyl records (a few of which I believe are still in John L.'s collection of vinyl), so looking into places that deal in collectible vinyl would be your best bet for finding such things. I know there's a collectible music (including vinyl recordings) show going on around the first week of November in New York City this year...WFMU's website at www.wfmu.org might still have information on that particular show, which goes on like Friday through Sunday, I believe. Karen :-) ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:48:11 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Message-ID: <19991024.164811.-197801.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> first things first - if anyone bootlegged Michael Shelley's set... e-mail me!!! > Day 4 - The NOW set > if you came to > hear songs you knew, this was not the show. They saved songs that > you know > for the last 5 songs. Everything else was brand new stuff isn't it kind of sad that a huge majority of their "brand new stuff" has been in circulation since 1996 and the factory showroom sessions? when i asked myself why, four years ago i was complaining that i never got to see tmbg and now i was more than willing to pass up seeing them 4 nights in a row (i only went to the last gig b/c i got in free thanks to michael shelley) it dawned on me that it's not as exciting as it used to be... and sure as hell isn't worth $80 (not that i had it even if i wanted to) to see and hear the same stuff they've been doing for the past 4 (almost 5) years. >The first time in a > long time > I couldn't sing along to a song! yeah, it was kind of weird to see how few people knew the songs - i used to think it was just because i was in colorado and most the people at the shows really didn't have a clue what the hell was going on "yeah, tmbg on a reunion tour! they haven't released anything since 1990!" random things i noted about the evening: #1 a big appology to all that i said i'd bring tony millionaire postcards for - totally spaced it right before i left. #2 i was psyched to hear mike (tdk) singing "the best thing about new york city is... T M B G!" instead of the typically "you and me" in NYC. that's another thing that i thot only us freeks in colorado did. #3 i thought it was pretty detarded that they played their own music before the show... you know how the venue plays music before the show and then inbetween bands and stuff - i was just a little weirded out to be listening to TMBG before their own show. I mean, sure we're all fans and stuff but... seriously. #4 it was totally awesome to meet all of you kids that i really never thought i would - i look forward to seeing some of you at the tower records thing on tuesday. :D uhm, that's all i can think of right now - i'm sure i'll have more to add in the future and chances are it'll be much more positive :D "take it easy, Jordan" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991024213311.44144.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: Re: TMBG: Review/Setlist: Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, 10/22/99 Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:33:10 GMT >Hmm..well, even if there was synth accentuation done on the vocals, >wouldn't one have to at least have the range to reach those notes, >before anything could be added to them? > >Karen :-) >MuseKJ@aol.com What I mean is that he didn't hit it ... he mocked hitting the note and slammed on the key on his synth instead. You can get a very voice like sound out of it. -Samantha ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:40:49 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: State Songs Gigs Message-ID: <19991024204048.A53271@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets State Songs, which will be released on Tuesday the 26th, is going to be promoted by several events: * Release party at Tower Records in the Village (New York City), starts at 5PM on October 26th. * In store event at Storyopolis in Los Angeles on November 20th. * A concert at the Troubadour in Los Angeles on November 22nd. * An appearance on KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" on November 23rd. * A concert at Slim's in San Francisco on November 23rd. Keep visiting www.tmbg.org for information. Follow the link on www.tmbg.org to CDNow and buy the album and help support our site! -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000501bf1e87$16944fe0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Chanukkah Festival Of Lights Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 18:20:13 -0700 This is for sale on CDNOW and Amazon.com but niether have a track listing and it says that it has been available since september.....anyone gonna buy it? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:30:27 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs Gigs Message-ID: <19991024.213028.-191845.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > * Release party at Tower Records in the Village (New York City), > starts at 5PM on October 26th. hey hey - if anyone is planning on going to this and wants to meet up before or after, e-mail me and let me know - we can work out the details :D Oh and to all that wanted tony millionaire postcards --- if you're gonna be there, i can guarantee you that i won't forget them this time!!! "take it easy, Jordan" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19991025014104.01135f5c@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:41:04 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Tattoos >That would be a good one: the Giant coffee cup...:) >Interesting...so how many of you out there already have tattoos that somehow >relate to TMBG? I'm curious! My friend Brian has a tattoo on his left arm of the running snowman from the pink album. His next tattoo will be the snowman warming his hands over the burning pile of money, on his right arm. This, my friends, is greatness. Harf, Mitch http://www.mitcharf.com/ "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 09:48:06 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG reference on SNL! Message-ID: <19991024.094810.-632073.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: Capn eriKa rae Okay, since it's been a while since someone noticed a TMBG reference that really isn't, I caught one last night while attempting to sit through the entirety of Saturday Night Live. They were doing something about skinny models or whatever and they had a chick dressed up like Helen Gurley Brown! You know! She Thinks She's Edith Head! She's a cultural figure we don't know a lot about! Come on, people! ever-sincere, eriKa, but it's a shame that SNL really, really sucks. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now, and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to saying smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19991023223542.00c89a00@idt.net> Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 22:35:42 -0400 From: Michael Hooker Subject: TMBG: sat bowery show hi, here is my take on the sat bowery show. TMBG sat nite was good. it started off slow, they looked a bit tired. they played " they got lost", the slow version, which i hate.i love the fast version. also rat patrol, reprehesible, and some other songs off LTW i am not crazy about. then it picked up, and they played a lot of hits , and they played them in different ways than usual, which made them sound fresh and real cool. they show was rolling from there, and they never looked back, it was great till the end. i made a nice digital recording of the show and its up for trades. i'm buried in trades right now, and have tons of TMBG stuff, so i'm looking to trade for other bands. plese put TMBG 11-23 in the subject so i can attempt to keep track . last note, it was 16 and up , yet i didnt see as many kids as i thought i would. too bad, it was a great chance to see a great band in a nice venue. also, flans has to lose the mustache, he looked like a tin horn south american dictator :). have fun, Mike Hooker ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.21511921.25451e4c@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:45:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Hey! In Saturday's show, did anyone see, after the confetti cannon was fired, the confetti go back up again and stay in the air for a long long time? John Flansburgh said, "Wow, that's some high quality confetti!" That was me :D Lydia Proud of her role in her first TMBG concert. Or something :) ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.4df094ba.25452212@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 23:01:38 EDT Subject: Re: Kinda-TMBG: Banana Splits Tunes Does anyone have a recording or MP3 or SOMETHING of John Linnell singing that? I know you wouldn't have an MP3 but I can ask anyway :D Lydia Ahhhhh. Twas a great experience! ::grins like a fool:: ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: TMBG: What I Did Today Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:38:50 -0700 Message-ID: <000001bf1e9a$737668c0$6ec66ac6@tooms> well, to start this off, i accidentally wrote "tomb-list" in my to: field. a freudian slip? anyway. here's my wonderful itinerary: 9.30 am. wake up. 9.31 am. go back to sleep. 10.00 am. wake up. realize i have to be at work in a half hour and scream. 10.15 am. drive past my ex-social studies teacher's house. he's hot! 10.25 am. get to work just in time to see POKEMON on the lounge room tv! 10.35 am. realize i'm supposed to be working and not watching pokemon and run to checkouts. 10.36 am. work at kmart. cashiering. 2.40 pm. i get off work and drive home via my ex social studies teacher's house. he's hot! 2.50 pm. i arrive home. 2.52 pm. i think about how Mr.SportyPants looked at homecoming last night. see also: drool. 3.00 pm. think about doing stupid nature-place essay for humanities. 3.05 pm. get harrassed by ex-boyfriend who wants to spend QualityTime with me. 3.30 pm. try to leave for beach to do retarded essay, but my friend sarah wants to come, so i have to wait... 4.15 pm. finally depart for beach. 5.20 pm. arrive at beach, do various stupid nature things. take many pictures of starfish. 6.30 pm. actually try to write stupid essay. 7.00 pm. depart for home. 7.05 pm. almost get killed! 7.55 pm. arrive in corvallis. 7.56 pm. drive by ex-social studies teacher's house. he's hot! 8.00 pm. arrive home. 8.05 pm. prepare a nutritious meal of cheese, crackers, and diet soda. 8.20 pm. log on, looking for leffel email. 8.25 pm. cry at lack of leffel email. 8.30 pm. start writing this. ...and of course, throughout all of this, i'm thinking of how dirty i am for Mr.SportyPants. stupid me! bridget "looooser! looooooooooooooooooser!" guildner bridgie t. if we were machines, we'd have the gift of being eternal http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:aww crap! Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:44:16 -0700 Message-ID: <000101bf1e9b$362016a0$6ec66ac6@tooms> i am soooo doi right now. i'm doi to the MAX. i meant to send that to the offtopic list. i'm an idiot. I AM SO SORRY! *kowtows to ontopic gods* bridget "see? i AM a loser!!!!" guildner bridgie t. if we were machines, we'd have the gift of being eternal http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: deuels@juno.com Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 23:39:13 -0400 Subject: TMBG: prior e-mail Message-ID: <19991024.233914.-449215.17.deuels@juno.com> i wish to apologize for the e-mail that i sent to you all earlier i thought it would be a good idea to share that info with you all but i was wrong it WON'T happen again sincerly D ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.5ae07ab9.254531ef@aol.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:09:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 In a message dated 10/24/99 10:56:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: << Hey! In Saturday's show, did anyone see, after the confetti cannon was fired, the confetti go back up again and stay in the air for a long long time? John Flansburgh said, "Wow, that's some high quality confetti!" That was me :D Lydia Proud of her role in her first TMBG concert. Or something :) >> Yes, I wrote about in my setlist/commentary write-up of last night's show...I sat there wondering what had caused that to happen. I should have known you were behind that :-) As a witness, I can tell you all that out of the many folks at that show, there couldn't have been many others happier or more thankful to be there than our friend Lydia :-) Karen :-) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991025042059.63976.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristin ." Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:20:59 EDT >Also on Purple Toupee, Linenell was obviously trying to read off of a lyric >cheat sheet. He still screwed up some lyrics. Oh well, what can you ask >for >a band to do almost 60 different songs over 4 nights! (More on that in >another post). Linnell was NOT trying to read off of a cheat sheet.. I have seen this many times because usually I am right in front of him. He has a real hard time seeing his setlist (I've even heard him mutter things like "what is that?")... He usually tries to find out what the next song is about halfway through the current one. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.92110b29.254537a5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:33:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 In a message dated 10/25/99 12:22:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, krisncsu@hotmail.com writes: << Linnell was NOT trying to read off of a cheat sheet.. I have seen this many times because usually I am right in front of him. He has a real hard time seeing his setlist (I've even heard him mutter things like "what is that?")... He usually tries to find out what the next song is about halfway through the current one. >> probably because he's not wearing his glasses while on stage...I have a very funny feeling, being a contact lens wearer myself, that John L. doesn't wear contacts when he's got those glasses off (and I like the way he looks in them...you hear that, John Linnell?) ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.6592cc7f.25453bbc@aol.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:51:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 In a message dated 10/25/99 12:13:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time, MuseKJ@aol.com writes: > Yes, I wrote about in my setlist/commentary write-up of last night's show...I > > sat there wondering what had caused that to happen. I should have known you > were behind that :-) As a witness, I can tell you all that out of the many > folks at that show, there couldn't have been many others happier or more > thankful to be there than our friend Lydia :-) > > Karen :-) ::grins impishly:: I feel my life is a little closer to fulfilled now. That show was heaven on earth!! ::swoons:: And thank you :D It was cool, the confetti looked like butterflies for awhile! Lydia Long awaiting her first concert since 1837, and not even SLIGHTLY disappointed!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-25 ******************************