Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 26 Tuesday, 26 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance TMBG: Re: TMBG Tattoos Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance TMBG: The next 2 albums Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: NON-TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: The next 2 albums TMBG: State Songs today Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: State Songs today Re: TMBG: State Songs today TMBG: Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:24:30 -0700 Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance TMBG: The 'Mayors' CD those were the good old days was Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: those were the good old days was Re: TMBG: They Might Be TMBG: Festival of Light CD Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: State Songs today TMBG: State Songs' Label Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: NON-TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: The 'Mayors' CD Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance TMBG: Hello Info Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991025001202.008034e0@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:12:02 -0700 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance >From: tmbgirl@juno.com >Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:48:11 -0400 >Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Series - Day 3 & 4 >> Day 4 - The NOW set >> if you came to >> hear songs you knew, this was not the show. They saved songs that >> you know >> for the last 5 songs. Everything else was brand new stuff > >isn't it kind of sad that a huge majority of their "brand new stuff" has >been in circulation since 1996 and the factory showroom sessions? >when i asked myself why, four years ago i was complaining that i never >got to see tmbg and now i was more than willing to pass up seeing them 4 >nights in a row (i only went to the last gig b/c i got in free thanks to >michael shelley) it dawned on me that it's not as exciting as it used to >be... and sure as hell isn't worth $80 (not that i had it even if i >wanted to) to see and hear the same stuff they've been doing for the past >4 (almost 5) years. First of all, I am going to say this, and say this just once: Michael Shelley is a jackass. I couldn't stand his act opening for TMBG a year ago, and I really don't wish him success in the near future. But anyway, my main point is that for those of you out there with the opportunity to They Might Be Giants in the near future, well, all the power to you. They Might Be Giants put on a great show, a very entertaining one, and I hate to see it spoiled in any way by "jaded" so-called fans who have seen them fifteen too many times and are ready to express their displeasure. Anyway, for those of you out there that have a forthcoming opportunity to see TMBG, I would like to say that, by all means, go for it... you won't be disappointed. They are one of the most compelling long-running acts around. Kerry ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000701bf1ebd$601f9d00$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:48:49 -0700 tmbgirl wrote >isn't it kind of sad that a huge majority of their "brand new stuff" has >been in circulation since 1996 and the factory showroom sessions? >when i asked myself why, four years ago i was complaining that i never >got to see tmbg and now i was more than willing to pass up seeing them 4 >nights in a row (i only went to the last gig b/c i got in free thanks to >michael shelley) it dawned on me that it's not as exciting as it used to >be... and sure as hell isn't worth $80 (not that i had it even if i >wanted to) to see and hear the same stuff they've been doing for the past >4 (almost 5) years. And i find it odd that someone who has seemed to be near losing all faith would be still attending concerts and be subscribed to an e-mailing list of all giants all the time. You know if they might be giants DIDN'T take it easy these past couple of years then the quality of there work might have ended up really low, we are now at the beggining of a huge swell of new material and new releases, hell 'State Songs' and The Austin Powers 2 soundtrack, Vol.2 come out the same day, and they are progressivly working on a new album along with being on tour and then a children's album... we are at the dawn of some great things ahead! instead of complaining of what we didnt get in the past, let us rejoice in the new up and comings. You see what you have made me do? I just sounded like i was giving a sermon..... -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19991025121016.00a4d818@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:10:16 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Tattoos >That would be a good one: the Giant coffee cup...:) >Interesting...so how many of you out there already have tattoos that somehow >relate to TMBG? I'm curious! My friend Brian has a tattoo on his left arm of the running snowman from the pink album. His next tattoo will be the snowman warming his hands over the burning pile of money, on his right arm. This, my friends, is greatness. Harf, Mitch http://www.mitcharf.com/ "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38145588.5B100DA8@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:05:12 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Kerry Biggs wrote: > ago, and I really don't wish him success in the near future. But anyway, > my main point is that for those of you out there with the opportunity to > They Might Be Giants in the near future, well, all the power to you. They > Might Be Giants put on a great show, a very entertaining one, and I hate to > see it spoiled in any way by "jaded" so-called fans who have seen them > fifteen too many times and are ready to express their displeasure. you know, every time this argument comes up, someone says exactly what you've said. And every time they do, I have to say this - that is completely invalid. It has nothing to do with seeing them "fifteen too many times," as you state. They've now been doing full tours for 4 years where they've been playing mostly the same material. They're only doing the new stuff at "special" shows in New York (although I have a hard time believing that they'd go and learn a whole bunch of songs for just one performance) They've even played some of the places they rarely play a couple of times now - since 1996, they've toured the west coast 4 times (late fall 1996, spring 1997, early fall 1998, fall 1999) and been to the south at least twice or three times, and Texas the same. So even the people there are starting to see the same shows. The northeast and midwest, of course, still get enough to make anyone else jealous. Now, I'll grant that there's no reason to really expect them to change their entire lineup for every show they do, but I don't think anyone is saying they should. But for each new tour, it would be nice to see more different material than they've been doing. They're returning to the same cities year after year. Don't they realize that the same people who were there last year are going to be there this year and might want to hear something different for a change? -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:22:17 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Message-ID: <19991025.092218.-584601.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> ok whoa there brotherpuff... notice how i said "it's not as exciting as it used to be" ok? meaning i still had a total blast just not on that exterme buzz that i used to be on right after tmbg shows. you kids are all ready to jump right in and flame so here goes... > First of all, I am going to say this, and say this just once: > Michael > Shelley is a jackass. I couldn't stand his act opening for TMBG a > year > ago, and I really don't wish him success in the near future. how ironic is it that you put this in the beginning of your reply? trying to tell me that i'm "jaded" and just expressing my displeasure in TMBG's music - which, according to you isn't ok. but to express all displeasure about Michael's set is quite allright. hmm, seems a little hypocritical to me.... Michael Shelley still rocks my world and I would always suggest that people go out and listen to him for themselves, just as i would always *ALWAYS* tell people to go check out TMBG. with that in the forefront of your mind - keep reading... > They > Might Be Giants put on a great show, a very entertaining one, and I > hate to > see it spoiled in any way by "jaded" so-called fans who have seen > them > fifteen too many times and are ready to express their displeasure. ya know, in a sense i think you hit it right on. See, when i got to the show and learned that rob had seen TMBG 131 times and tdk 40someodd. People started asking me how many times i'd seen 'em. so just now i sat down and thought. the grand total spanning from 1992 to 1999 = 5 times (with this being the 5th show). That's the life of someone living on the west coast, eh? Anyways, i think i ruined it all by collecting bootlegs. honestly. i can't exlpain it - but there's a sort of repetition and it just doesn't seem exciting and new... yes, i realize this is my own damn fault but i also blame it somewhat on the band... you see, take moxy fruvous for example (i only use them as an example becuase a lot of people on the list are familiar with them). They change their show continuously - there is always some new banter going on, they're changing the lyrics of their songs to fit with the evening, etc. if someone was to collect their bootlegs i don't think that when they got to a show they would say "eh, this is just like every other show from this tour" because honestly there's very little chance that it will be. You take a tmbg bootleg from any "tour" and chances are that 90% of them are near-identical to the shows the nights before and the shows right after. > Anyway, for those of you out there that have a forthcoming > opportunity to > see TMBG, I would like to say that, by all means, go for it... you > won't be > disappointed. They are one of the most compelling long-running acts > around. i agree wholeheartedly. what i wouldn't suggest tho, is seeing them every day for the next year - because you might grow a bit weary of them. (see the difference?). now if you have the opportunity to do so - don't get me wrong, i'm all for you trying and letting me know what happens. "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:35:20 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Message-ID: <19991025.093521.-584601.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> ah shit, replying to my own post... >the grand total spanning > from 1992 to 1999 = 5 times (with this being the 5th show). That's > the life of someone living on the west coast, eh? i just remembered the two shows in colorado right before i moved out here... heh heh... oops. that would make 7 but the point still stands. "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:33:26 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: The next 2 albums Message-ID: On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > but the one after that. So, with this we have some good news and bad > news. Bad news: ISLIH will not be on the next album (or so says > Linnell). Good news: This means there will at least be 2 more TMBG > albums before they call it quits (which is hopefully a long time away). > But what Linnell said should be taken into careful consideration before > we assume that ISLIH will be on the next album. Uh... possibly because They've repeatedly said that Their next album will be the children's album? --nicole twn *** "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." --They Might Be Giants Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun! nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38148CEF.5D9946C@fruvous.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:01:35 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Kerry Biggs wrote: > First of all, I am going to say this, and say this just once: Michael > Shelley is a jackass. I couldn't stand his act opening for TMBG a year > ago, and I really don't wish him success in the near future. What the heck is that? You are wishing career failure onto someone because YOU didn't like their set? Do you see how mean and nasty that is? Do you have that kind of power? If so, why do you pick bands like 98 Degrees to make it and bands like TMBG to wallow in semi-obscurity? And why did you wait until One Week to make the Barenaked Ladies big? Their earlier stuff is incredible. But enough of my questioning your musical omnipotence... > But anyway, > my main point is that for those of you out there with the opportunity to > They Might Be Giants in the near future, well, all the power to you. They > Might Be Giants put on a great show, a very entertaining one, and I hate to > see it spoiled in any way by "jaded" so-called fans who have seen them > fifteen too many times and are ready to express their displeasure. I have seen TMBG 8 times in the 10 years I've been a fan. I've seen 1 Lincoln era set (and would have killed to see the NYC drum machine set), 2 Apollo 18 era shows that were about 2 weeks aparts, 2 John Henry era sets with Horns, and 3 Factory Showroom era sets. You know what? I agree with Jordan. The 3 FS era shows were 3 YEARS APART! I saw one aronud when FS came out, one about a year later, and one this year. And you know what? Almost same show each time. Confetti cannon? Check. Stick? Check. Exquisite Dead Guy with puppet heads? Check. Everybody Conga? Check. I have tolerance for bands I see constantly having similar sets. Bands I see once per tour though? No tolerance. None, dammit. If they don't have the decency to show me something new once a year, then there is something wrong here. Yeah, a couple new songs this time around. Edith Head. Cyclops Rock. But the same old schitck on the other stuff. But you know what? I'll still buy TMBG albums when they come out. I'll still see shows when its convenient. But I won't sit here and blindly say They are putting on the Quality show they were 6 years ago, or even 4 years ago. Yes, they are still better in my opinion than a lot of other groups. They are still good enough to make me want to put a TMBG CD in the CD player occasionally (usually either John Henry, Pinky, or Lincoln). They are still good enough for me to fork out $20 for a show in my city (Indianapolis). But I won't even drive to Cincinatti show a show and that's like an hour away. And all that is my opinion. You can take it for what it's worth. - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <381492C2.C29CAD9E@fruvous.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:26:26 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Chad Maloney wrote: > I have seen TMBG 8 times in the 10 years I've been a fan. I've seen > 1 Lincoln era set (and would have killed to see the NYC drum machine set), > 2 Apollo 18 era shows that were about 2 weeks aparts, 2 John Henry era > sets with Horns, and 3 Factory Showroom era sets. Oh, and to translate this for some of the people who know me and are wondering what the heck is wrong with me, I meant: - 3 bass playerless show - 2 Tony Maimone shows - 2 Graham Maby shows - 1 Dan Weinkauf show - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38149EFC.55E422BB@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:18:36 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > also blame it somewhat on the band... you see, take moxy fruvous for > example (i only use them as an example becuase a lot of people on the > list are familiar with them). They change their show continuously - > there is always some new banter going on, they're changing the lyrics of > their songs to fit with the evening, etc. if someone was to collect actually, a similar discussion is happening on alt.music.moxy-fruvous right now, since they've been opening almost every show on the tour with the same three songs, and there has been a lot of repetition lately. (someone then suggested that they used to randomly throw things like No No Raja into sets and the next night they not only opened with different songs, but also played No No Raja - I doubt we'd get such a response from TMBG, since it's unlikely that the even read this list or the newsgroup) The other thing that Moxy Fruvous are good at is that, for Canadians, they have an incredible grasp of US geography. I think TMBG don't quite understand, for example, that Cleveland and Pittsburgh are close enough together that a lot of people will be at shows in both cities. Then again, TMBG also don't seem to really appreciate the people who travel for their shows. Fruvous encourage it. Also, though, consider the "fan only" show in New York this past summer. Nearly everyone there who lives in New York had seen them quite a lot before, because they play a lot in New York. And the people there who didn't live in New York had traveled to get there, which means they had most likely traveled to get to a lot of other shows, too. In other words, pretty much everyone there had seen them a lot. You'd *think* they'd realize that and not do just their regular set. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3814A06E.222E663@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:24:46 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Chad Maloney wrote: > I have seen TMBG 8 times in the 10 years I've been a fan. I've seen > 1 Lincoln era set (and would have killed to see the NYC drum machine set), > 2 Apollo 18 era shows that were about 2 weeks aparts, 2 John Henry era > sets with Horns, and 3 Factory Showroom era sets. You know what? I oh, you lucky bastard. I'd love to have been able to see those earlier shows... if not for the style of the shows, then for the songs. I'd love to hear things like Purple Toupee, Cowtown, Hide Away Folk Family, Space Suit, Dinner Bell, We Want a Rock, Road Movie to Berlin... > agree with Jordan. The 3 FS era shows were 3 YEARS APART! I saw one > aronud when FS came out, one about a year later, and one this year. > And you know what? Almost same show each time. Confetti cannon? Check. > Stick? Check. Exquisite Dead Guy with puppet heads? Check. Everybody > Conga? Check. Careless Santa? -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3814A64E.530ECB55@fruvous.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:49:50 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance lawrence solomon wrote: > > agree with Jordan. The 3 FS era shows were 3 YEARS APART! I saw one > > aronud when FS came out, one about a year later, and one this year. > > And you know what? Almost same show each time. Confetti cannon? Check. > > Stick? Check. Exquisite Dead Guy with puppet heads? Check. Everybody > > Conga? Check. > > Careless Santa? Wouldn't you know it? They forgot Careless Santa. I figured because it was Monopuff that was close enough to TMBG, but NO! They forget to play it everytime I see Them. Anyone else think of any other songs They forgot to play when you saw Them in concert? - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3814AA2E.17E1E2B6@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:06:22 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > also blame it somewhat on the band... you see, take moxy fruvous for > example (i only use them as an example becuase a lot of people on the > list are familiar with them). They change their show continuously - > there is always some new banter going on, they're changing the lyrics of a couple of things I forgot to add in the Fruvous/TMBG compare/contrast bit... Fruvous have out 4 studio albums, one novelty compilation, and one live album, and have existed for a little under a decade. TMBG have out 6 studio albums, one b side/novelty compilation, and one semi-live album, and have existed for almost twice as long as Fruvous. So say TMBG have, including the unreleased songs, about 150 songs to choose from when they make up their set of 30 or so songs. I've heard about 75 of them in concert in the 6 years I've been a fan. That's 50%. Not too bad, and one of them is a song they only played once and will most likely never play again (The Bells are Ringing). But that's over the last 6 years. A bunch of those songs haven't appeared in about that long - Extra Savoir Faire, Dirt Bike, Stomp Box, They'll Need a Crane, The Statue Got Me High... Fruvous have maybe closer to 80 songs to select about 20 from for any given show. And of those 80, I've heard about 50 live in just a little over a year. That's 62%, and only one of the songs is one they "never" play (Misplaced). True, they have fewer songs to choose from, but the fact that they play most of them at shows (there are still several songs they do play live that I haven't heard live yet - maybe only a handful of songs, but still) shows that they don't feel tied down to anything, even King of Spain and Michigan Militia, which are sometimes absent (more frequently now, even) Also, I hate to say it, but what happened to the whole TMBG online community? Part of my original love of roadtripping came from the fact that I'd see lots of people I knew at every show I went to. I still see some of the people I saw 2 or 3 years ago, but I don't have nearly the experience I have at Fruvous shows, where I'm waiting in line with close to 30 (sometimes more!) people I know, and hanging out afterwards with everyone. I mean, to a large degree, my Frutripping isn't based just on seeing the band, it's seeing the people who also like the band and usually have many other common interests as well. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3814ABDC.5CC0E162@mailandnews.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:13:32 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: The next 2 albums I took it to mean the album after the mp3 album they consider their "new album." Destin Nicole Carlson wrote: > On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > but the one after that. So, with this we have some good news and bad > > news. Bad news: ISLIH will not be on the next album (or so says > > Linnell). Good news: This means there will at least be 2 more TMBG > > albums before they call it quits (which is hopefully a long time away). > > But what Linnell said should be taken into careful consideration before > > we assume that ISLIH will be on the next album. > > Uh... possibly because They've repeatedly said that Their next album will > be the children's album? > > --nicole twn > > *** > "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." > --They Might Be Giants > Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun! > nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com -- Destin Berthelot destin@bigfoot.com "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:15:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: State Songs today Message-ID: Hi, My preorder of State Songs from Rounder came today. :) Just thought I would mention it for anybody else who ordered through Rounder... I won't say much more as to not spoil the experience tomorrow -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991025204250.41520.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:42:50 PDT lawrence solomon wrote: >So say TMBG have, including the unreleased songs, about 150 songs to choose >from when they make up their set of 30 or so songs. I've heard about 75 of >them in concert in the 6 years I've been a fan. That's 50%. Not too bad, >and >one of them is a song they only played once and will most likely never play >again (The Bells are Ringing). But that's over the last 6 years. A bunch >of >those songs haven't appeared in about that long - Extra Savoir Faire, Dirt >Bike, Stomp Box, They'll Need a Crane, The Statue Got Me High... > >Fruvous have maybe closer to 80 songs to select about 20 from for any given >show. And of those 80, I've heard about 50 live in just a little over a >year. That's 62%, and only one of the songs is one they "never" play >(Misplaced). True, they have fewer songs to choose from, but the fact that >they play most of them at shows (there are still several songs they do play >live that I haven't heard live yet - maybe only a handful of songs, but >still) >shows that they don't feel tied down to anything, even King of Spain and >Michigan Militia, which are sometimes absent (more frequently now, even) I think one problem with this comparison is that Moxy Fruvous is more of a live band than TMBG, in the sense that Fruvous tends to write songs that are basically made to be played live, while TMBG does a lot of stuff that really only works in the studio. I was going to reply to something else, too, but I forget what it was. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991025205539.6141.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs today Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:55:39 PDT Josh Axelrad wrote: >My preorder of State Songs from Rounder came today. :) Just thought I >would mention it for anybody else who ordered through Rounder... I won't >say much more as to not spoil the experience tomorrow Did you use one of those "rush order" things that makes you pay just as much as it cost for the album to ship it? I ordered it from Rounder, but I used standard shipping, and I haven't received it yet. If it doesn't come soon, I might have to stay off the list for a few days. I don't think I'll be able to stand reading out how everyone but me has the album. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:18:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs today Message-ID: I don't think I did anything special... they sent it priority mail... $4.50 shipping and handling... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Josh Axelrad wrote: > >My preorder of State Songs from Rounder came today. :) Just thought I > >would mention it for anybody else who ordered through Rounder... I won't > >say much more as to not spoil the experience tomorrow > > Did you use one of those "rush order" things that makes you pay just as much > as it cost for the album to ship it? I ordered it from Rounder, but I used > standard shipping, and I haven't received it yet. If it doesn't come soon, > I might have to stay off the list for a few days. I don't think I'll be > able to stand reading out how everyone but me has the album. > -- > Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:23:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <000501bf1f37$b52ab300$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:24:30 -0700 Hey the Otis Ball CD featuring They Might Be Giants on the song 'Walk on Water' is for sale on eBay if anyone is interested..... -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:15:17 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Message-ID: <19991025.181620.-584601.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Also, I hate to say it, but what happened to the whole TMBG online > community? > Part of my original love of roadtripping came from the fact that I'd > see lots > of people I knew at every show I went to. i was wondering about that too - it really dawned on me at this show on saturday since it was the first time in a good 5 years i ever bothered to go to a concert solo. It was just weird. nothing like the fruvous community at all. But then again i remeber the days where the OMLT was a good idea - merely because we were all buds and we wanted to make sure we met everyone involved on the list. I also remember the days of shouting out "SNAIL!" and hoping for the response of "SHELL!" or better yet when you could wander down the line before a show yelling "LIST?" and have a bunch of people jump out at you. > I still see some of the people I saw 2 or 3 years ago, but I don't > have nearly > the experience I have at Fruvous shows, where I'm waiting in line > with close > to 30 (sometimes more!) people I know, and hanging out afterwards > with > everyone. not to mention - hanging with the band post-show! *grin* :D > I mean, to a large degree, my Frutripping isn't based > just on > seeing the band, it's seeing the people who also like the band and > usually > have many other common interests as well. the other thing to note is that fruvous is truly grateful to all their fans that see them over and over again. they are aware of the fact that people are willing to make sacrifices just to see them live a few nights in a row - so it's the least they can do to sacrifice the monotony and easy way out of playing the same songs over and over each night. They reward their fans for making an effort and seeing their shows (with frumiles) and recognize that if you went outof your way to catch a gig they'll be even more rewards (extra frumiles). "take it easy, Jordan" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301bf1f39$be5c9a40$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: The 'Mayors' CD Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:39:04 -0700 Just out of curiosity, is there two different versions of the Mayors CD? cause i have seen people call it Hall and House. is some getting it wrong? I dont own a genuine copy so im not entirely sure.... -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3814DD16.FEE09790@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:43:34 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: those were the good old days was Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > i was wondering about that too - it really dawned on me at this show on > saturday since it was the first time in a good 5 years i ever bothered to > go to a concert solo. It was just weird. nothing like the fruvous > community at all. well, I almost always go to shows solo (because I usually am the only person around insane enough to roadtrip at all), but I used to expect to run into a lot of people at the shows. I generally do run into people, some of whom I know, but many fewer than I used to. But there are now so many different places to find TMBG people online - six as far as I can tell (web chat, undernet, efnet, mailing list, offtopic list, and newsgroup). And a lot of people are only involved in one of those things, so it's like "Are you 'online'" "Yeah, I go to the web chat." "Oh." and the conversation ends because it's obvious neither of us will know who the other one is. yes, I'm all for options, but I do remember when the mailing list was pretty much all there was (and the newsgroup *was* a waste of time because everyone with a brain was over here :) > But then again i remeber the days where the OMLT was a good idea - > merely because we were all buds and we wanted to make sure we met > everyone involved on the list. I also remember the days of shouting out I want my $7.40 back! > "SNAIL!" and hoping for the response of "SHELL!" or better yet when you > could wander down the line before a show yelling "LIST?" and have a > bunch of people jump out at you. a bunch of people actually did that with "moxy" and "fruvous" in Baltimore... it worked great! :) > not to mention - hanging with the band post-show! *grin* :D or pre-show in some cases... I remember arriving at my seat at the Ram's Head Tavern (don't get me started on them here, please) to find Jian sitting practically across the table from me. (more amusing was when the person who had that seat arrived... "Uh, excuse me... oh... um. Nevermind." :) > the other thing to note is that fruvous is truly grateful to all their > fans that see them over and over again. they are aware of the fact that > people are willing to make sacrifices just to see them live a few nights > in a row - so it's the least they can do to sacrifice the monotony and > easy way out of playing the same songs over and over each night. They > reward their fans for making an effort and seeing their shows (with > frumiles) and recognize that if you went outof your way to catch a gig > they'll be even more rewards (extra frumiles). hey, that's not fair! I never got extra Frumiles for going out of my way. I'll need to talk to Tobey about having driven 9 hours to Chicago... maybe I can get *all* the prizes, after all. :) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991025184658.0095a770@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:49:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: those were the good old days was Re: TMBG: They Might Be At 06:43 PM 10/25/99 -0400, lawrence solomon wrote: >But there are now so many different places to find TMBG people online - six as >far as I can tell (web chat, undernet, efnet, mailing list, offtopic list, and >newsgroup). And a lot of people are only involved in one of those things, so There's also the Musings board at tmbg.org (unless that's included in 'web chat')...a very unusual, clique-ish group. It's interesting, but somewhat disturbing at the same time. >I want my $7.40 back! Me too! I was a sophomore at Clemson when that started...here I am, ready to graduate, and I still don't have my damn shirt! :-) -Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01bf1f3e$25562820$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Festival of Light CD Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:10:33 -0700 Well I was wondering about this CD last night and I just found the mp3 of the song 'Feast Of Light' at http://www.xooming.to/tmbgland/ -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d7b116be.254641c1@aol.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:29:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance > What the heck is that? You are wishing career failure onto someone > because YOU didn't like their set? Do you see how mean and nasty that > is? Do you have that kind of power? If so, why do you pick bands like > 98 Degrees to make it and bands like TMBG to wallow in semi-obscurity? > And why did you wait until One Week to make the Barenaked Ladies big? > Their earlier stuff is incredible. But enough of my questioning your > musical omnipotence... No, he just didn't wish the guy success. There's a more-than-fine line there. Lydia HA! I've got my two cents and I'M GOING TO SPEND IT *ALL* IN ONE PLACE, DAMMIT!! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.55b17798.2546433f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:35:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: State Songs today In a message dated 10/25/99 5:04:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > Did you use one of those "rush order" things that makes you pay just as much > as it cost for the album to ship it? I ordered it from Rounder, but I used > standard shipping, and I haven't received it yet. If it doesn't come soon, > I might have to stay off the list for a few days. I don't think I'll be > able to stand reading out how everyone but me has the album. I won't have it. Rest assured! I won't have it for many, many moons. Lydia Wanting State Songs since 1837 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991026001700.13385.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: TMBG: State Songs' Label Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:17:00 EDT Hey fans, If I want to order State Songs, do I say it's on Rounder Records or Zoe Records? -Ian ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991025172831.007be100@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:28:31 -0700 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Well, first of all, I'd like to start off with an apology. I was a little too incensed and definitely wasn't in the right frame of mind to be writing email. However, there are some more things I want to address. At 09:22 AM 10/25/99 -0400, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >ok whoa there brotherpuff... notice how i said "it's not as exciting as >it used to be" ok? meaning i still had a total blast just not on that >exterme buzz that i used to be on right after tmbg shows. What I said is more of a reaction to the fact that over the past year or so, you have been extremely critical of the band without real justification, you've made light of the supposed diminishing value of the TMBG concert experience over the years, and you've consistently praised their opening acts and bands of "related" interest while claiming their superiority. While you certainly have a right to all of these opinions, and have a right to express them, all of this suggests you really aren't a They Might Be Giants fan. Why all the negativity? Why all the criticism? I'm not suggesting that every word uttered on this list needs to be in total praise of TMBG, but sometimes I really wonder why those of you out there that are so blatantly acting out the fanboy(girl) stereotype ("WORST EPISODE EVER") even go to the shows at all or listen to the music. Why do you some of you pine for the glory days, of, say, 1992? I'm willing to guess that most of you are far too young to be truely that bitter. If you've just lost the interest in the band, move on, just don't drag us down with you. Anyway, that isn't really directed specifically at you, Jordan, but at several... >> First of all, I am going to say this, and say this just once: >> Michael >> Shelley is a jackass. I couldn't stand his act opening for TMBG a >> year >> ago, and I really don't wish him success in the near future. I would like to wholeheartedly retract part of my statement about Michael Shelley. I can't honestly say that I don't wish him success; I don't know the guy, I never will, I didn't mean it. Sorry. I still didn't like his music, or his attitude, when I saw him play a little over a year ago. >how ironic is it that you put this in the beginning of your reply? >trying to tell me that i'm "jaded" and just expressing my displeasure in >TMBG's music - which, according to you isn't ok. but to express all >displeasure about Michael's set is quite allright. hmm, seems a little >hypocritical to me.... Michael Shelley still rocks my world and I would >always suggest that people go out and listen to him for themselves, just >as i would always *ALWAYS* tell people to go check out TMBG. with that >in the forefront of your mind - keep reading... That's fine, but this isn't the Michael Shelley mailing list, either. Other than that, your point is taken. > ya know, in a sense i think you hit it right on. See, when i got to the >show and learned that rob had seen TMBG 131 times and tdk 40someodd. >People started asking me how many times i'd seen 'em. so just now i sat >down and thought. the grand total spanning from 1992 to 1999 = 5 times >(with this being the 5th show). That's the life of someone living on the >west coast, eh? I've also seen them 5 times now, and I think the Portland shows a few weeks ago showed the band in probably their best musical form out of any show that I've ever been to. It's hard to rival a first experience with any band, but I did genuinely find them to be even more entertaining this time around than ever before. They seemed to enjoy themselves a lot on stage. And while that first show will always be the best, as I'm sure it is for everyone, I just don't see the whole thing getting "old" any time soon. > Anyways, i think i ruined it all by collecting bootlegs. honestly. i >can't exlpain it - but there's a sort of repetition and it just doesn't >seem exciting and new... yes, i realize this is my own damn fault but i >also blame it somewhat on the band... you see, take moxy fruvous for >example (i only use them as an example becuase a lot of people on the >list are familiar with them). They change their show continuously - >there is always some new banter going on, they're changing the lyrics of >their songs to fit with the evening, etc. if someone was to collect >their bootlegs i don't think that when they got to a show they would say >"eh, this is just like every other show from this tour" because honestly >there's very little chance that it will be. You take a tmbg bootleg from >any "tour" and chances are that 90% of them are near-identical to the >shows the nights before and the shows right after. I don't think a comparison between Moxy Fruvous and They Might Be Giants will ever be fair, and I've long since grown tired of them. The type of music Moxy Fruvous plays leaves them open for experimenting and a lot of changing and tinkering of things, and that's fine. But that's not TMBG. Maybe Moxy Fruvous is sort of a folky Phish. I don't know. It obviously appeals to some, but it doesn't to me. I don't think TMBG could maintain their level of professionalism in their live show and have as much variance in their show. I do know that I got to see them play two shows here in Portland a few weeks back, and both shows were very different. I've never heard of them doing the exact same show twice in a row, but maybe they have. I don't think anyone can fault them for playing the songs that they want to play. I would love to hear, say, Apollo 18 live in its entirety sometime, but it's more than likely that they don't like every single song they've written, or at least don't want to play them. I am just grateful for the occasions they do come to town, and am satisified with whatever they present live. It really would have been nice to see their tape show at the Bowery, or their horns show or even the Long Tall Weekend show... >i agree wholeheartedly. what i wouldn't suggest tho, is seeing them >every day for the next year - because you might grow a bit weary of them. > (see the difference?). now if you have the opportunity to do so - don't >get me wrong, i'm all for you trying and letting me know what happens. I don't suggest doing that with any band. What would happen if you started hanging out with a friend you like every day for the next year? It wouldn't be pretty... Kerry ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991025174150.007e62f0@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:41:50 -0700 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance >What the heck is that? You are wishing career failure onto someone >because YOU didn't like their set? Do you see how mean and nasty that >is? Do you have that kind of power? If so, why do you pick bands like >98 Degrees to make it and bands like TMBG to wallow in semi-obscurity? >And why did you wait until One Week to make the Barenaked Ladies big? >Their earlier stuff is incredible. But enough of my questioning your >musical omnipotence... It was merely a wish... I didn't say it would come true. But I took it back. Anyway... >I have seen TMBG 8 times in the 10 years I've been a fan. I've seen >1 Lincoln era set (and would have killed to see the NYC drum machine set), >2 Apollo 18 era shows that were about 2 weeks aparts, 2 John Henry era >sets with Horns, and 3 Factory Showroom era sets. You know what? I >agree with Jordan. The 3 FS era shows were 3 YEARS APART! I saw one >aronud when FS came out, one about a year later, and one this year. >And you know what? Almost same show each time. Confetti cannon? Check. >Stick? Check. Exquisite Dead Guy with puppet heads? Check. Everybody >Conga? Check. Then quit going. Please, do not buy any more They Might Be Giants tickets. In fact, don't even buy their next album. I really don't want to hear you say that "Cyclops Rock" is nowhere near as good as "Snowball In Hell", so just stop. Because, whatever they do and whatever they play will not be as good as the "good old days". Are you satisfied with that? >I have tolerance for bands I see constantly having similar sets. >Bands I see once per tour though? No tolerance. None, dammit. If >they don't have the decency to show me something new once a year, >then there is something wrong here. Yeah, a couple new songs this >time around. Edith Head. Cyclops Rock. But the same old schitck on >the other stuff. What do you WANT? An all Misc. T set as backed by the local symphony orchestra? What if they played a set comprised strictly of their singles year in and year out. They Might Be Giants and their Greatest Hits? What if they _never_ played She's An Angel live because it simply wasn't a big hit? It could certainly be a lot worse. >But you know what? I'll still buy TMBG albums when they come out. I'll >still see shows when its convenient. But I won't sit here and blindly >say They are putting on the Quality show they were 6 years ago, or >even 4 years ago. Yes, they are still better in my opinion than >a lot of other groups. They are still good enough to make me want >to put a TMBG CD in the CD player occasionally (usually either John >Henry, Pinky, or Lincoln). They are still good enough for me to >fork out $20 for a show in my city (Indianapolis). But I won't >even drive to Cincinatti show a show and that's like an hour away. I just have to disagree. I don't see what's lacking in quality about their shows these days that may have been there before. In fact, it's my opinion that they are much more accomplished vocally now than they used to be, and are more creative musically. Kerry ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991026014156.8470.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:41:55 PDT Kerry Biggs wrote: >What do you WANT? An all Misc. T set as backed by the local symphony >orchestra? Hey! That would be pretty cool! >I'm not suggesting that every word uttered on this list needs to be >in >total praise of TMBG, but sometimes I really wonder why those of you >out >there that are so blatantly acting out the fanboy(girl) stereotype >("WORST >EPISODE EVER") even go to the shows at all or listen to the >music. Rest assured I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world! >I'm willing to guess that most of you are far too young to be truely >that >bitter. You can never be too young to be bitter! >I don't think a comparison between Moxy Fruvous and They Might Be >Giants >will ever be fair, and I've long since grown tired of them. Hey! Why don't the Johns smash Their guitars on stage? The Who did it! -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:52:31 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Message-ID: <19991025.095232.-596357.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: Capn eriKa rae DeHoff, Nathan M.: >Hey! Why don't the Johns smash Their guitars on stage? >The Who did it! SHUT UP! YOU SUCK! sorry, had to do it. ^_^ ever-sincere, eriKa, what would a spirited round of bickering be without it? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now, and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to saying smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.4df8591b.25467282@aol.com> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 22:57:06 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance In a message dated 10/25/99 2:51:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Chad@fruvous.com writes: > Anyone else think of any other songs They forgot to play when you > saw Them in concert? > SPITTING CONTEST! *snickers* Lydia Perpetuating bad jokes since 1837 ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 22:23:02 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The 'Mayors' CD Message-ID: <19991025.230316.-68379.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEy... > Just out of curiosity, is there two different versions of the Mayors > CD? > cause i have seen people call it Hall and House. is some getting it > wrong? I > dont own a genuine copy so im not entirely sure.... not sure if anyone replied to this but i will... all of my hello cd's are back in denver so i can't check to see which is the original version and which is the reprint but there most definately are two versions. I think that "hall of mayors" was the original that came with the entire year long subscriptions and "house of mayors" came to all that jumped on the bandwagon when it was too late to buy the entire year. "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:01:28 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Message-ID: <19991025.230316.-68379.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> hehee, i love the whole second person letter "YOU have done this" and "YOU say that" and then the disclaimer of "oh no, it's really not directed just at you, jordan" mmmhmm. *grin* i don't mind, just don't try to hide and not expect a flame back. > What I said is more of a reaction to the fact that over the past > year or > so, you have been extremely critical of the band without real > justification, you've made light of the supposed diminishing value > of the > TMBG concert experience over the years, and you've consistently > praised > their opening acts and bands of "related" interest while claiming > their > superiority. whoa whoa whoa! the only time i ever recall saying anything of the sort was that show in denver at the bluebird back in like fall of '98 when michael shelley opened for TMBG. First off, it was "related" because, oh my god, TMBG asked him to tour with them - he was out there opening for the band with a specific purpose. When a band asks someone to open for them they are doing it with several purposes in mind. Mainly they want someone that will hype up the audience and prepare them for the headliners... get the crowd going somewhat. I'm totally diverging here so let's just leave it at the fact that yes, i think openers are related. Now back to what i was saying - that show i said that i only enjoyed it because michael shelley made the night enjoyable. why was that? because the show that tmbg put on that night (and i'm more than willing to send the bootleg of that show out to anyone that wants to disagree) was exactly like any other night they were out on that tour. i fucked myself over with expectations that obviously didn't happen, the only reason that i was "extremely" dissapointed that night in tmbg's performance was because i just wanted to hear a little bit of a change up. slight bit - but there really wasn't any. The fact that michael shelley went out of his way to a)chill with me for a couple of hours before the show b)give me a cd c)dedicate a song to me mid-show d)grab me tmbg's setlist e)chill with me after the show. i'm sure that if a band you really liked (even if they weren't your favorite band - just happened to be opening for your fave band) did all that to you jsut because you're a fan, you'd think it was worthy of "making your night" whether you were dissapointed in your fave band's set or not. > While you certainly have a right to all of these > opinions, > and have a right to express them, all of this suggests you really > aren't a > They Might Be Giants fan. how in the world does it do that? just because i get dissapointed in the band and expect soooo much more from them? i only expect them to be great and continue to dazzle and impress me because i know how awesome they are and i want to believe that they are capable of doing anything - including changing their set up once in awhile. > Why all the negativity? Why all the > criticism? isnt' there some quote that says something along the lines of we criticize the things we hold closest to us the most? > Why do > you some of you pine for the glory days, of, say, 1992? i think it's mostly because that was when TMBG was non-stop impressing us with new material. listen to flood and then listen to apollo 18, the albums are incredibly different and yet still the same high quality band. they kept it interesting and new to all of us when john henry came out - that album too is like none of the others. SO now that we've been sitting on the same material (save about 10 songs max) for the past five years - forgive us if we've grown a bit restless and want more material!! :D > I'm willing to > guess that most of you are far too young to be truely that bitter. > If > you've just lost the interest in the band, move on, just don't drag > us down with you. i think the reason we don't move on is because we know the potential that TMBG holds is tremendous and we, along with each and every one of you, are anxiously awaiting every new thing that tmbg has to offer us in the future. > I would like to wholeheartedly retract part of my statement about > Michael > Shelley. I can't honestly say that I don't wish him success; I > don't know > the guy, I never will, I didn't mean it. Sorry. I still didn't > like his > music, or his attitude, when I saw him play a little over a year > ago. don't know the guy but can still say he's a jackass? hmm... perhaps that's based on your "didn't like his attitude" statement. if so, keep in mind that opening bands have to take a lot of crap. i'm talking serious amounts of crap from the audience and the performers are going to react accordingly. It's because people don't take them seriously and don't recognize their importance in a show (i'm saying if they are seriously on tour with a band - perhaps they aren't as important when it's just a "one-off" random appearance). Now, i have no idea what show you're talking about, i wasn't there. but i do know that michael shelley - in all my encounters with him - is an incredibly sweet guy and means well. that said, let's move on. > That's fine, but this isn't the Michael Shelley mailing list, > either. > Other than that, your point is taken. again, i think his performance has a lot to do with setting the tone for the remainder of the evening. "take it easy, Jordan" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991026031156.61052.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chris Haufschild" Subject: TMBG: Hello Info Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 22:11:26 -0500 I am interested in buying one of those hello compilations from the tmbg.com website. Has anybody out there done that? Do I just send my $43 to the address shown and hope for the best? Do you have a phone number I could call? How long did it take to get the discs? Is trying to get it a bad idea? I thank you for your input. Chris Haufschild tryptophane@tmbg.org [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > don't know the guy but can still say he's a jackass? hmm... perhaps > that's based on your "didn't like his attitude" statement. if so, keep > in mind that opening bands have to take a lot of crap. i'm talking > serious amounts of crap from the audience and the performers are going to > react accordingly. It's because people don't take them seriously and > don't recognize their importance in a show (i'm saying if they are > seriously on tour with a band - perhaps they aren't as important when > it's just a "one-off" random appearance). ooooh. this is a point that really needs to be made a lot. most people go into shows with the attitude that the opening act is going to suck. Now, in the case of some random local opener, that often is the case. But generally speaking, bands that *choose* other bands to tour with them try to pick something that doesn't suck. And I'd say that TMBG have done a damn good job picking their opening acts for a while... Candy Butchers, cub, Lincoln, Michael Shelly, You Were Spiraling. OK, so there was that whole Double Dong thing in there, and I think they did a few shows with Goatboy, but for the most part, they've done a good job. If people would go into a show with an open minded attitude about the opening band, maybe they'd actually listen to the music, instead of jabbering the whole time and assuming it sucks and then, having not really paid much attention to it, go home and tell the mailing list how awful they thought it was. I paid attention when I saw Double Dong and Goatboy, and was able to make an informed opinion about how awful they were. But if I hadn't paid attention for Lincoln, Candy Butchers, or You Were Spiraling, not only would I be about $50 richer, but I'd also have a lot narrower taste in music. To everyone out there who thinks otherwise, remember this: Your favorite band, whether it's They Might Be Giants, Moxy Fruvous, or whoever, was an opener for *someone* at some point, and I'm sure that you'd have been mighty pissed if their fans paid no attention to them and then went online and told everyone they sucked. Show these bands the same respect, at least in the club, that you would want other bands' fans to show They Might Be Giants if they were the opener. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Oct 26 01:40:34 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA23065 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 01:40:34 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mail.austin.rr.com (sm1.texas.rr.com [24.93.35.54]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA23056 for ; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 01:40:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from mitcharf@tmbg.org) Received: from crackhead-jesus ([24.93.50.194]) by mail.austin.rr.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.5.1875.185.18); Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:40:36 -0500 Message-Id: <2.2.32.19991026054336.017b85b0@pop-server.austin.rr.com> X-Sender: mitcharf@pop-server.austin.rr.com X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32) Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:43:36 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Mitchell Harding At 11:01 PM 10/25/99 -0400, you wrote: >hehee, i love the whole second person letter "YOU have done this" and >"YOU say that" and then the disclaimer of "oh no, it's really not >directed just at you, jordan" mmmhmm. *grin* i don't mind, just don't >try to hide and not expect a flame back. Will one of you please stop replying to the list? You've both as much as admitted that it is degenerating into a flame war. I can't imagine it is terribly interesting to many readers of the list. Please take this to private e-mail. I just want peace in this house! Thanks, Mitch http://www.mitcharf.com/ "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-26 ******************************