Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 27 Wednesday, 27 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG opening acts and such Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: TMBG opening acts and such Re: TMBG: "It's So Loud In Here" and it's chances of being on Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: NON-TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: NON-TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: "It's So Loud In Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance TMBG: Linny Instore Review Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Re: TMBG: Linny Instore Review Re: TMBG: Linny Instore Review TMBG: Lots Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance TMBG: TMBG Suck! TMBG: States Songs as Chris see's them TMBG: Whats everyones favorite state (was States songs as chris see's TMBG: Re: TMBG Suck! Re: TMBG: TMBG Suck! Re: TMBG: Whats everyones favorite state TMBG: Interesting CO TMBG story... Re: TMBG: States Songs as Chris see's them Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Suck! TMBG: Re: Lots Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Suck! Re: TMBG: TMBG Suck! Re: TMBG: TMBG Suck! TMBG: Concert photos from the four Bowery shows up! Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell's "Tennessee" TMBG: Re: TMBG Re: TMBG Suck! RE: TMBG: TMBG Suck! TMBG: Setlist/Review of Linnell's Tower Records in-store performance, Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991025233041.007fabd0@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:30:41 -0700 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: TMBG opening acts and such >ooooh. this is a point that really needs to be made a lot. most people go >into shows with the attitude that the opening act is going to suck. Now, in >the case of some random local opener, that often is the case. But generally >speaking, bands that *choose* other bands to tour with them try to pick >something that doesn't suck. And I'd say that TMBG have done a damn good job >picking their opening acts for a while... Candy Butchers, cub, Lincoln, >Michael Shelly, You Were Spiraling. At the shows I've been to, I've seen Cub, Brian Dewan, Michael Shelley, and You Were Spiralling. And in my opinion, Cub and Brian Dewan were great, Michael Shelley was lousy, and You Were Spiralling were decent but nothing I'd run out and buy. I'm not the kind of person who assumes an opening act is going to suck, nor am I the kind of person who jeers or throws thing onstage. At most of the several hundred shows (obviously not all TMBG) I've gone to, the crowd has been generally polite and receptive, if not at times a little underwelmed. I've made a lot of great personal music discoveries through opening acts, and I almost always make a point to show up early to catch them. Not everybody does. I can only think of a couple of instances that I was really put off by an opening act, one of them being Michael Shelley who's music was not compelling in the least, and who's performance was severely hindered by the man's own arrogance. One way to _not_ win a crowd over, if you're a band out there gearing up for an opening slot, is to be arrogant and insult the audience. The worst thing I can think of was seeing some guy named Johnny (Jonny?) Polonsky (opening for Frank Black), who irritated the audience so much that when he found it fit to dive backwards into the crowd, several people pushed and punched at him until they were able to push him back onto the stage. And he had the nerve to try it again. Oh, yeah, and his music sucked. >Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:43:36 -0500 >From: Mitchell Harding >Will one of you please stop replying to the list? You've both as much as >admitted that it is degenerating into a flame war. I can't imagine it is >terribly interesting to many readers of the list. Please take this to >private e-mail. I don't think a few critical messages (2 from each of us) could really be considered an all out flame war. I don't really know what you're talking about. I think the topics discussed were very relevant to this list, and I'm sorry to see that you haven't added anything to the discussion. As it is, I've already said what I think needed to be said, so don't worry about it. So, who taped the Bowery shows? Kerry ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19991026124418.00a42bd0@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:44:18 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance At 11:01 PM 10/25/99 -0400, you wrote: >hehee, i love the whole second person letter "YOU have done this" and >"YOU say that" and then the disclaimer of "oh no, it's really not >directed just at you, jordan" mmmhmm. *grin* i don't mind, just don't >try to hide and not expect a flame back. Will one of you please stop replying to the list? You've both as much as admitted that it is degenerating into a flame war. I can't imagine it is terribly interesting to many readers of the list. Please take this to private e-mail. I just want peace in this house! Thanks, Mitch http://www.mitcharf.com/ "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.f1b8fda5.25471560@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:32:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG opening acts and such In a message dated Tue, 26 Oct 1999 2:30:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Kerry Biggs writes: > >ooooh. this is a point that really needs to be made a lot. most people go > >into shows with the attitude that the opening act is going to suck. > I can only think of a couple > of instances that I was really put off by an opening act, one of them being > Michael Shelley who's music was not compelling in the least, and who's > performance was severely hindered by the man's own arrogance. One way to > _not_ win a crowd over, if you're a band out there gearing up for an > opening slot, is to be arrogant and insult the audience. I agree TOTALLY. When Michael Shelly opened in Atlanta last year, he started yelling for audience members to shut up and things like that... it didn't make him come across as a very nice person, to put it lightly... Not to mention that I really don't go in for his style of music personally... Emar, notes that TMBG is a solitary island of poppiness among an ocean of punk/ska/reggae/industrial in my CD collection... ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:58:46 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's So Loud In Here" and it's chances of being on >Then later on in the evening, right before they play ISLIH, Linnell >says "Here's a song that will be on the album after the album,,.," >implying that it won't be on the next album, but the one after that. I swear I thought he was referring to LTW there. Spencer. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3815C906.D1CED0C7@fruvous.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:30:14 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Kerry Biggs wrote: > >I have seen TMBG 8 times in the 10 years I've been a fan. I've seen > >1 Lincoln era set (and would have killed to see the NYC drum machine set), > >2 Apollo 18 era shows that were about 2 weeks aparts, 2 John Henry era > >sets with Horns, and 3 Factory Showroom era sets. You know what? I > >agree with Jordan. The 3 FS era shows were 3 YEARS APART! I saw one > >aronud when FS came out, one about a year later, and one this year. > >And you know what? Almost same show each time. Confetti cannon? Check. > >Stick? Check. Exquisite Dead Guy with puppet heads? Check. Everybody > >Conga? Check. > > Then quit going. Please, do not buy any more They Might Be Giants tickets. > In fact, don't even buy their next album. I really don't want to hear you > say that "Cyclops Rock" is nowhere near as good as "Snowball In Hell", so > just stop. Because, whatever they do and whatever they play will not be as > good as the "good old days". Are you satisfied with that? I won't quit going. I like They Might Be Giants. Is that not obvious? I'm on their mailing list. I trade their tapes. I own every single commercially available CD (some tapes and records too) by them I can get my hands on. I see them a year apart! Are you absolving the band of having to entertain me for my $20? You are saying that they can just play the same set every night and people who *really* like them will keep coming because it is Them? Heck no! There is no absolution. If I see a show on a wholly different tour in the same town I saw the earlier one in, I demand a different show. I'm not sitting here saying the old TMBG is so much better than the new TMBG. Reread my paragraph you quoted please and pick out where I say that. What I am saying is that the last 3 shows I've seen were the SAME. Those 3 shows could be best the TMBG shows I've seen for all you know. I didn't say anything about it. I'm talking about them being the SAME show with the same old schtick they've been doing for the past 4 years. > >I have tolerance for bands I see constantly having similar sets. > >Bands I see once per tour though? No tolerance. None, dammit. If > >they don't have the decency to show me something new once a year, > >then there is something wrong here. Yeah, a couple new songs this > >time around. Edith Head. Cyclops Rock. But the same old schitck on > >the other stuff. > > What do you WANT? An all Misc. T set as backed by the local symphony > orchestra? What if they played a set comprised strictly of their singles > year in and year out. They Might Be Giants and their Greatest Hits? What > if they _never_ played She's An Angel live because it simply wasn't a big > hit? It could certainly be a lot worse. That's not the right attitude at all. It could certainly be a lot worse? What does that mean? When you go to a restaurant and order a yummy lasagna and it comes out cold, do you say "it certainly could be a lot worse. At least it's a lasanga"? I guess I almost see TMBG as freeloading off their past 4 years. They are working off stuff they did 4 years ago and getting away with it, I guess because people are saying it could certainly be a lot worse. I'd rather they put in the effort and give us another John Henry or another Apollo 18 or another something totally different instead of pulling out stuff from their live show from 4 years ago and saying "here's some new stuff". I want the innovation back. > >But you know what? I'll still buy TMBG albums when they come out. I'll > >still see shows when its convenient. But I won't sit here and blindly > >say They are putting on the Quality show they were 6 years ago, or > >even 4 years ago. Yes, they are still better in my opinion than > >a lot of other groups. They are still good enough to make me want > >to put a TMBG CD in the CD player occasionally (usually either John > >Henry, Pinky, or Lincoln). They are still good enough for me to > >fork out $20 for a show in my city (Indianapolis). But I won't > >even drive to Cincinatti show a show and that's like an hour away. > > I just have to disagree. I don't see what's lacking in quality about their > shows these days that may have been there before. In fact, it's my opinion > that they are much more accomplished vocally now than they used to be, and > are more creative musically. But those 2 things are not what makes a band. Especially TMBG to me. TMBG is about innovation and doing stuff no one else does. But that innovation stopped for 3 years and they've been living off Factory Showroom era stuff. That innovation is what makes me love TMBG because most bands are too lazy to innovate. Most bands find a formula and stick with it. TMBG didn't used to do that. They innovate like madmen. But 3 years ago that stopped and that took a large chunk of what I loved out of TMBG out of me. A given show, taken completely on it's own with no outside influences is still really good. But a given show, taking into account that a show a year ago would be pretty similar, isn't so great to me because the innovation is gone. The first time I saw the stick? Loved it! First time I saw Pet Name with the lights out? Neato! The first time I saw the confetti cannon? Cool! The second time I saw the confetti cannon? Oh, it's money now. The third time I saw the confetti cannon? Oh, hey, they are playing James K. Polk tonight. Am I asking to much of Them to demand they work up at least a semi-different show each tour? As much as I love the "hidden track" at shows where 15 minutes after the last encore and silence has been there for 15 minutes and most people have left they come out and play Spitting Content, after 3 times it gets a little old. The first time I heard that, I loved it! I almost died laughing it was so genius. The second time, I just wanted to hear Spitting Contest again. The third time, well, I was shouting "play Dead" with Lawrence as the barstaff swept up around us. - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3815F21C.2DDF68B5@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:25:32 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Chad Maloney wrote: > I see them a year apart! Are you absolving the band of having to entertain > me for my $20? You are saying that they can just play the same set > every night and people who *really* like them will keep coming because > it is Them? Heck no! There is no absolution. If I see a show on a > wholly different tour in the same town I saw the earlier one in, I > demand a different show. this is a good point. I mean, it is their *job* to do this. > for all you know. I didn't say anything about it. I'm talking about > them being the SAME show with the same old schtick they've been doing > for the past 4 years. actually more. if you listen to some bootlegs from the John Henry tour (I think maybe even Live in New York has this) you'll hear the familiar phrase "Born in a graveyard, raised in a garage!" coming from Flansburgh when introducing Brian or Tony. There's something very wrong when the audience can "sing along" with band introductions. > because the innovation is gone. The first time I saw the stick? Loved it! > First time I saw Pet Name with the lights out? Neato! The first time > I saw the confetti cannon? Cool! The second time I saw the confetti > cannon? Oh, it's money now. The third time I saw the confetti cannon? > Oh, hey, they are playing James K. Polk tonight. I think part of it is that the feel like they *must* play certain songs. For example, I'd say that a lot of bands, when they do two shows in a row[1] in the same city, will repeat only the songs from the album they're currently promoting, and the rest of the show will be different. Well, TMBG aren't really promoting an album now, and if they are you sure wouldn't know it. The songs they repeated each night (and every show for the last three years)? James K. Polk, New York City, Particle Man, Istanbul, Birdhouse, Twisting, Older, The Guitar, Why Does the Sun Shine?, Spy, Cyclops Rock (ok, so this is recent), and to some degree Dr. Worm (at least the last 2 years or so) a year ago, that list was even longer. Because it included all of those (minus Cyclops), *plus* Pet Name, S-E-X-X-Y, Til My Head Falls Off, Shoehorn with Teeth, Ana Ng, and She's an Angel. That's more than one third of their set that *never* changes. And last year it was more than *half*. And none of those are new songs. If they're truly trying to promote Long Tall Weekend (which they apparently are, since EMusic is sponsoring this tour, from what I understand) that list should look more like: Drinkin', Older, She Thinks She's Edith Head, Certain People, Reprehensible, Rat Patrol, Maybe I Know, Operators are Standing By, and possibly Birdhouse, and the rest of the set should be molded around those songs. And then when they put out a new album, repeat mostly the stuff from that, rather than what they're playing now. And refresh some older stuff, too. I think a better comparison in a way would be Weird Al. He does the same exact show every night on a given tour. It's very thoroughly planned, involving costume changes, fake interviews, other odd videos, and stuff like that. The one exception this year was when he did a show in Albuquerque and did a whole bunch of extra stuff, including the song "Albuquerque." But otherwise, every show on a tour is the same. When he puts out another album, though, that show *completely* changes. I saw him in 1997 and then again this year, and the shows had maybe... 10% overlap. 15% at most. A handful of songs. Everything else different. He truly understands how to keep an audience entertained. > Am I asking to much of Them to demand they work up at least a semi-different > show each tour? As much as I love the "hidden track" at shows where > 15 minutes after the last encore and silence has been there for > 15 minutes and most people have left they come out and play Spitting > Content, after 3 times it gets a little old. The first time I heard > that, I loved it! I almost died laughing it was so genius. The > second time, I just wanted to hear Spitting Contest again. The > third time, well, I was shouting "play Dead" with Lawrence as the > barstaff swept up around us. Yeah, but there was the one time we were expecting them to come out and play Spitting Contest, and they did Careless Santa instead... [1] yes, I know we can't judge repetitiveness on such an event, but it still is a perfect example of what songs they feel they *must* play. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991026182640.51826.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:26:37 PDT Chad Maloney wrote: >I guess I almost see TMBG as freeloading off their past 4 years. Freeloading? Let's look at what They've done since Factory Showroom: Severe Tire Damage, which was mostly old stuff, but included twelve new songs One solo album from each John (which included some stuff that had already been released through Hello, true, but new stuff, too) Five Brave New World appearances The theme to the Austin Powers movie I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, too, and this isn't even counting the fact that They've been touring much of the time. Is this as much output as the band produced in earlier years? No. Do you have to LIKE any of this stuff? No. But I hardly see how it can constitute freeloading. The Johns are still working for a living. >They are working off stuff they did 4 years ago and getting away with >it, >I guess because people are saying it could certainly be a lot >worse. That's an awfully negative attitude. Not only could it be a lot worse, but a lot of stuff that TMBG has put out recently has been great. Take the songs on Long Tall Weekend. Sure, they're a little bit old, but would you rather not have had them released at all? There are some excellent songs on there. >I'd rather they put in the effort and give us another John Henry or >another Apollo 18 or another something totally different instead >of pulling out stuff from their live show from 4 years ago and >saying "here's some new stuff". It IS new stuff to some of us. And it's being newly released, even to those of us who might have heard it before. Live performances and leaked bootlegs don't count as releases. "Reprehensible" and "Certain People I Could Name" are relatively new releases, regardless of when they were written. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991026143649.00966700@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:39:03 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance I totally agree. Weird Al puts on spectacular live shows...and instead of just seeing a band crank out songs, one after another, it really is an event. For the first time since I became interested in TMBG years ago, I actually passed on seeing 3 local shows. The thought of hearing the same songs with people spillnig beer on me and girls shouting "Particle Man!" repeatedly doesn't interest me at all. I'll take this opportunity to plug my Weird Al site at www.weirdal.org , btw. :-) -Adam At 02:25 PM 10/26/99 -0400, lawrence solomon wrote: >I think a better comparison in a way would be Weird Al. He does the same >exact show every night on a given tour. It's very thoroughly planned, >involving costume changes, fake interviews, other odd videos, and stuff like >that. The one exception this year was when he did a show in Albuquerque and >did a whole bunch of extra stuff, including the song "Albuquerque." But >otherwise, every show on a tour is the same. > >When he puts out another album, though, that show *completely* changes. I saw >him in 1997 and then again this year, and the shows had maybe... 10% overlap. >15% at most. A handful of songs. Everything else different. He truly >understands how to keep an audience entertained. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3815FC32.B56F23E1@fruvous.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:08:34 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance lawrence solomon wrote: > Chad Maloney wrote: > > Am I asking to much of Them to demand they work up at least a semi-different > > show each tour? As much as I love the "hidden track" at shows where > > 15 minutes after the last encore and silence has been there for > > 15 minutes and most people have left they come out and play Spitting > > Content, after 3 times it gets a little old. The first time I heard > > that, I loved it! I almost died laughing it was so genius. The > > second time, I just wanted to hear Spitting Contest again. The > > third time, well, I was shouting "play Dead" with Lawrence as the > > barstaff swept up around us. > > Yeah, but there was the one time we were expecting them to come out and play > Spitting Contest, and they did Careless Santa instead... Naw. They played Careless Santa the time when we went to the show and used that spiffy time machine to stop the show and rewound back to 4 minutes before the show started and they played Careless Santa, remember? - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3815FF13.CAAB8247@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:20:51 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Chad Maloney wrote: > Naw. They played Careless Santa the time when we went to the show and > used that spiffy time machine to stop the show and rewound back to > 4 minutes before the show started and they played Careless Santa, remember? I think we should probably stop this thread before someone mentions Careless Santa... -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991026211718.79663.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:17:18 PDT I've noticed that a few contributors to this thread have made the argument that, if the Johns play shows in similar locations, there will be a lot of the same people in the audience. The thing is that there will also be a lot of DIFFERENT people in the audience. I don't know the exact ratio, of course, but I'm sure there are always new people who want to see the confetti cannon and the glockenspiel, and possibly even hear "Particle Man" (although I have no idea they'd want this last thing). They'd probably be disappointed after hearing about these things and then not experiencing them for themselves. I know I'm in this boat. I've only been to one TMBG show, and, if I ever did get to see another show, I might feel like I missed something if I didn't get to see and hear some of the show staples (I wouldn't care if They decided not to play "Particle Man" or "Birdhouse In Your Soul," but I'm sure there are other people in a similar situation who DO want these songs to be played). If I went to a lot of concerts, I'd probably start to develop the "Why don't They change Their setlist?" mentality, but there would be other people who haven't had a chance to experience the old staples for themselves. Now, it's possible that there are too many staples to a TMBG show, but there are some songs that the new show-goers (and even some of the old ones) want Them to play, even if you, personally, do not want Them to. Whatever. I'm rambling, aren't I? -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:23:27 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's So Loud In Message-ID: <24327-38161BCF-15124@storefull-245.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-17834-7811 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Spencer Owen wrote: I swear I thought he was referring to LTW there. You know, I probably would've thought that to if it weren't for (and this is for that person who brought up the Children's album too) the fact that Flansy said Cylcops Rock will be on the next album. It wasn't on LTW, and I'm assuming it won't be on "No" either. So, what I was trying to say is that Linnell is saying that ISLIH won't be on the next studio, regular, available in stores, adult (just to make the point that it's not directed specifically towards children) album, but one of the same description that will follow it. Your's...somewhat, Dexter M. Flansburgh --WebTV-Mail-17834-7811 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-102-1.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.98) by storefull-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net with WTV-SMTP; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:47:30 -0700 (PDT) Return-Path: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [209.249.97.242]) by mailsorter-102-1.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8-wtv-d/ms.dwm.v7+dul2) with ESMTP id HAA18525 for ; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:47:29 -0700 (PDT) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id KAA36978; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:46:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:46:32 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id KAA36963 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:46:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from eagle.prod.itd.earthlink.net (eagle.prod.itd.earthlink.net [207.217.120.24]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id KAA36954 for ; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:46:31 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from SOwen@windwardschool.org) Received: from windwardschool.org (mail.windwardschool.org [207.217.35.122]) by eagle.prod.itd.earthlink.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id HAA20109 for ; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:46:30 -0700 (PDT) Received: from GWDomain-Message_Server by windwardschool.org with Novell_GroupWise; Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:59:05 -0700 Message-Id: X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise 5.2 Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:58:46 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's So Loud In Here" and it's chances of being on the next album Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by ussenterprise.ufp.org id KAA36955 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: "Spencer Owen" >Then later on in the evening, right before they play ISLIH, Linnell >says "Here's a song that will be on the album after the album,,.," >implying that it won't be on the next album, but the one after that. I swear I thought he was referring to LTW there. Spencer. --WebTV-Mail-17834-7811-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991026171938.0095fed0@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:33:04 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance I agree, but.....why can't the Johns just come up with a lot of different concert gimmicks and just rotate them? TMBG has the largest song catalog of any band I can think of, and for them to sit on *so* many songs and just stick with the same few is a bit curious. They kinda-sorta comment on this on the "Kit Kat Acoustic Break" interview...Flans states how they tend to have "an established show". I guess it's just complacency. I was wearing a TMBG shirt while waiting in line for a concert a couple weeks ago, and some girl behind me said how the TMBG show she went to was the best concert she'd ever seen and mentioned the interactivity and gimmicks. (shrugs) Given a choice, I'd rather hear new or different songs than to have confetti shot out at me for the 8 billionth time, but I guess the former is more memorable for first time listeners... -Adam At 02:17 PM 10/26/99 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >I've noticed that a few contributors to this thread have made the argument >that, if the Johns play shows in similar locations, there will be a lot of >the same people in the audience. The thing is that there will also be a >lot of DIFFERENT people in the audience. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:33:52 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Linny Instore Review Message-ID: <19991026.173353.-290983.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Are you prepared for a positive review from me?! ok so linny played for a good 15-20 minutes and it was pretty groovy if i do say so myself. I enjoyed most of the songs and was pretty entermused with the fact that he kept forgetting the words to some of the songs and generally fudging - he made up for it really well - laughing it off and kept playing so it was fun. He said he was sick "aw" but i think he put on a pretty groovy show :D Oh ps. If you haven't seen what the vinyl single looks like... go check it out - totally awesome. If not for the music, if not for john, buy the single just for the sake of having a groovy mishapen green album :D oh sorry no setlist - i didn't really keep track cuz i figured others would... will say that south carolina got the greatest response of them all :D then probably montana and then oregon. (is that familiarity? don't know how wide spread montana was before the show but oregon and socar made sense). New hampshire seemed to keep everyone pretty entertained... ok i'm outtie. :D "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:37:29 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Message-ID: <19991026.173818.-290983.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> i think you're confused. we don't want them to revamp the entire show with all different songs. we are not totally oblivious and do realize that there are songs that have to be, and will be played at every show. Just saying that they should introduce some new aspects to their live shows at least once in 4 years. see the difference? "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:17:18 PDT "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" writes: > I've noticed that a few contributors to this thread have made the > argument > that, if the Johns play shows in similar locations, there will be a > lot of > the same people in the audience. The thing is that there will also > be a lot > of DIFFERENT people in the audience. I don't know the exact ratio, > of > course, but I'm sure there are always new people who want to see the > > confetti cannon and the glockenspiel, and possibly even hear > "Particle Man" > (although I have no idea they'd want this last thing). They'd > probably be > disappointed after hearing about these things and then not > experiencing them > for themselves. I know I'm in this boat. I've only been to one > TMBG show, > and, if I ever did get to see another show, I might feel like I > missed > something if I didn't get to see and hear some of the show staples > (I > wouldn't care if They decided not to play "Particle Man" or > "Birdhouse In > Your Soul," but I'm sure there are other people in a similar > situation who > DO want these songs to be played). If I went to a lot of concerts, > I'd > probably start to develop the "Why don't They change Their setlist?" > > mentality, but there would be other people who haven't had a chance > to > experience the old staples for themselves. Now, it's possible that > there > are too many staples to a TMBG show, but there are some songs that > the new > show-goers (and even some of the old ones) want Them to play, even > if you, > personally, do not want Them to. > > Whatever. I'm rambling, aren't I? > -- > Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ________________________________________________________________ Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use -- Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web! Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991026174001.009532d0@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:41:11 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Linny Instore Review Aw, give us more details. ;-) Was it Linnell playing solo, or did he have the tuba player from the previous SS shows...or some other person/people/whatever? Also, was it all played on accordion or were there keyboards and other crazy stuff? Don't leave us hanging! ;-) -Adam ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:58:06 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linny Instore Review Message-ID: <19991026.175806.-373875.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> it was just linny and his accordion with several mentions of the full band shows *grin* "if you like this one, you'll loooove the real show" sounds like there are gonna be some crazy instruments and people at the full band show in NYC... "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:41:11 -0400 Adam Tyner writes: > Aw, give us more details. ;-) Was it Linnell playing solo, or did > he have > the tuba player from the previous SS shows...or some other > person/people/whatever? Also, was it all played on accordion or > were there > keyboards and other crazy stuff? Don't leave us hanging! ;-) > > -Adam > ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3816296E.E4AC1C54@home.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:21:34 -0400 From: moses Subject: TMBG: Lots Hey folks! I wanted to let you know that although I haven't posted in a while, I'm still here lurking. And I've got a plan! For all you under 21-ers, I will give you one of my years! I'm 28, so I can only give a year out to 7 people, but hey, act now and I'll also throw in an autographed copy of my soul.(Slightly used, white-boy soul.) I also wanted to thank everyone who sent me more monkey songs for my list. So, ...thanks. If you think of more, I'm still interested. The page is now at http://www.members.home.com/moses42 so you can check out the ever-growing list of songs with the word monkey in them. While you're at it, check out my band. We like tmbg a lot, and you can check out some real audio tracks there, or at http://www.mp3.com/theabdominalsnowmen I guess that's not really lots, but just a little. Oh yeah. You can buy or cds from either site, if you like the music. Well, for that matter, even if you don't. Hammer Down, Moses ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38162BE0.5209C537@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:32:00 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Brilliance Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I've noticed that a few contributors to this thread have made the argument > that, if the Johns play shows in similar locations, there will be a lot of > the same people in the audience. The thing is that there will also be a lot > of DIFFERENT people in the audience. I don't know the exact ratio, of > course, but I'm sure there are always new people who want to see the > confetti cannon and the glockenspiel, and possibly even hear "Particle Man" > (although I have no idea they'd want this last thing). They'd probably be > disappointed after hearing about these things and then not experiencing them > for themselves. I know I'm in this boat. I've only been to one TMBG show, I only started seeing them in 1994. I've heard lots of cool things about shows from before 1994, and I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to see them. But I've seen different things that someone who stopped seeing them in 1994 might have missed. By your logic, they should have come up with a setlist and regular banter in 1986 and never changed it for fear that newcomers might be disappointed. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Suck! Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:21:16 -0700 Message-ID: <001501bf2011$2f2a56e0$90c76ac6@tooms> Argh. I am tired of getting messages bitching about what They should do differently. Because I've never been one to bitch and never do anything about it, I quit this damn list. TMBG are not performing for you and you alone. They are not Moxy Fruvous. It frankly depresses me how far downhill this list has gone. It used to have a sense of community. That community has now spread to the offtopic list, so I'm staying there. I don't CARE what you all want TMBG to do differently. It doesn't make a damn difference to me at all. I've seen the list pull through some real bickering wars, but this is the most sickening, and besides, it never really recovered from the *last* "TMBG SUCK!" tirade. Besides, I'll never understand how some people can talk about how much TMBG suck and say they're their Number One Fan in the same SENTENCE. Byebye, all. Bridget "Offtopic list RULES! YEA!" Guildner bridgie t. if we were machines, we'd have the gift of being eternal http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991027001647.16775.rocketmail@web215.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:16:47 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: States Songs as Chris see's them the first question i will answer is where i've been good question a lot of you on the list may not no me but a lot of you on the off topic list probably do. all my email accounts are screwed up except this one and my onelist account is screwed up so there. now state songs this album can only be described as; orgasmic i recieved my promo copy i won on ebay on monday and listened it to it w/ my friend zach, he sayed "Chris, if you need to masturbate because of this album, just do it under a blanket, i don't mind" so that goes for zach & i's opinion but what does the general public think of it. i brought it in to art class and after the other students heard illinois, I was lucky to get out alive. my friend danielle said the songs of the 50 states was good because "i've never heard any song that sounded like it" in my personal opininon the album could only be made better in one way: if nevada was taken off of the album and arkansas was moved to the last track. but other than that it's probably the 2nd best album ever made next to lincoln. -Chris __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <0.3d44b5ac.25479f83@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:21:23 EDT Subject: TMBG: Whats everyones favorite state (was States songs as chris see's Hey i was wondering on what everyones favorite state song is. In my opinion South carolina in the most awesomest track i have heard in a while from them I like it because it has a hint of county and an awesome beat and awesome lyrics "Lift that fork, eat that snail Garcon summoned, have a new cocktail Lift that fork, eat that snail Garcon summoned, have a new cocktail" and who will never forget the ever repeating "Move along folks Push her back there, move along Show's over, folks Let him breathe, step lively Move along folks Push her back there, move along Show's over, folks Let him breathe, step lively" Thanx for listening to my ranting and raveing. Daivd Listening to South Carolina since 1837 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000701bf2014$e66867e0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Suck! Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:47:52 -0700 >Bridget Said alot of things that were down right true! I propose we stop the debate NOW no one make any sort of opinion, no one reply to what I am saying. The next time you send a message let it be a question or an informative comment on all our favorite band They Might Be Giants. And once agian we will be a peacful loving Giant Head community! -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991027005047.89442.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Suck! Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:50:47 PDT Bridget Therease wrote: >Besides, I'll >never understand how some people can talk about how much TMBG suck and say >they're their Number One Fan in the same SENTENCE. As a loyal fan, I feel they OWE me. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan Mulac "Comic Book Guy" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bf2015$ef42d5c0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: Whats everyones favorite state Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:55:16 -0700 Definitally South Carolina, and then Montana and Idaho. Those stick out but hell the whole album is fantastic and unique and is swelling with the juices of creativity...mmmmm creativity. I had gotten a promo copy last week but still went to the store today to pick up a real copy. I went to Wherehouse and asked for it, it was in the computer but ony ONE copy *ouch* so the guy went to look for it with no luck so he called the Wherehouse in the mall and they had TWO copies but it took them ten minutes to find it and hold it for me. Sheesh, i just dont understand sometimes why i have to walk into a music store and wade through the sea of N'Syncbackstreetspearsnagulara to find real genuine talent that most dont even know exists.... -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991027005408.60226.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: TMBG: Interesting CO TMBG story... Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:54:08 MDT Jordan wrote: >i just remembered the two shows in colorado right before i moved out >here... heh heh... oops. that would make 7 but the point still >stands. I'm assuming you meant the show at the Aggie and the LoDo music fest as your last two TMBG in Colorado shows? I think I remember seeing you at the Aggie...anyway, do you remember that drunk rowdy guy at the ft. collins show who crashed the stage? He was at the Boulder show on Oct. 5, with all of his friends, drunk again...I made a point to block them off from the stage when Flans was getting ready to put out his guitar over the crowd (the guys had muscled their drunken way to the front, pushing aside those smaller)...and awesomely enough, Flans saw this whole event from the stage, and when he went to "guitar the crowd," he stepped over the speaker and walked to an entirely different section of the stage out of reach of drunk guys--then, as if that wasn't cool enough, when the song was OVER, he walked back over to ME and held out the guitar and smiled...so I got to play it in total silence...just me, and Flans' guitar...then an amazing cheer from the crowd...IT WAS AWESOME!!!! Just had to share :) jEssiCa ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d5ce4caf.2547ab45@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:11:33 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: States Songs as Chris see's them In a message dated 10/26/99 8:16:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ghost_krabb@yahoo.com writes: << tmbg-list@tmbg.org >> WHOA! the album might be orgasmic but keep that masurbation shit to yourself. Thats just something the rest of the world doesn't need to know. Keep your damn monkey spankin' business to yourself. Now I'm going to be violently ill.Thank You. harrypyle@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991027011222.54557.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Suck! Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:12:22 PDT eRiCh wrote: >I propose we stop the debate NOW no one make any sort of opinion, no one >reply to what I am saying. The next time you send a message let it be a >question or an informative comment on all our favorite band They Might Be >Giants. And once agian we will be a peacful loving Giant Head community! Shut up! You suck! Why don't YOU make an informative comment, you lousy bastard? -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan, who would make an on-topic post if he had State Songs, but, since he doesn't, is being a jack-ass instead DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Just finished playing: The Dukes of Stratosphear, Chips From the Chocolate Fireball ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:25:46 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <3816549A.D2B03F83@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Lots Hey, if nobody wants some of your years, I'll take 2. I'm 19. But you can keep your soul. :o) -A moses wrote: > > Hey folks! > > I wanted to let you know that although I haven't posted in a > while, I'm still here lurking. And I've got a plan! For all you under > 21-ers, I will give you one of my years! I'm 28, so I can only give a > year out to 7 people, but hey, act now and I'll also throw in an > autographed copy of my soul.(Slightly used, white-boy soul.) > > I also wanted to thank everyone who sent me more monkey songs > for my list. So, ...thanks. If you think of more, I'm still > interested. The page is now at http://www.members.home.com/moses42 so > you can check out the ever-growing list of songs with the word monkey in > them. While you're at it, check out my band. We like tmbg a lot, and > you can check out some real audio tracks there, or at > http://www.mp3.com/theabdominalsnowmen > > I guess that's not really lots, but just a little. Oh yeah. > You can buy or cds from either site, if you like the music. Well, for > that matter, even if you don't. > > Hammer Down, > Moses ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01bf2019$f1aa3c00$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Suck! Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:23:58 -0700 Nathan said: > Shut up! You suck! Why don't YOU make an informative comment, you lousy > bastard? Wow. Did it just get cold in here or is Nathan wearing an atomically correct bra? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38166D0F.63441D8D@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:10:07 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Suck! Bridget Therease wrote: > It frankly depresses me how far downhill this list has gone. It used to have > a sense of community. That community has now spread to the offtopic list, so > I'm staying there. I don't CARE what you all want TMBG to do differently. It > doesn't make a damn difference to me at all. I've seen the list pull through > some real bickering wars, but this is the most sickening, and besides, it > never really recovered from the *last* "TMBG SUCK!" tirade. Besides, I'll > never understand how some people can talk about how much TMBG suck and say > they're their Number One Fan in the same SENTENCE. Who ever said they suck? I think it's pretty narrow minded of you to say that because some of us are saying their live show has become less interesting than it used to be, and we're quite peeved that they haven't really put out any new material for 3 years that we're saying they suck. I also haven't seen anyone claim to be their Number One Fan, as you say. What we have been doing is disputing the claim that a fan of a band must absolutely adore everything they do and never criticise it because why would someone who *likes* something ever criticise it? I'd say that if anything, because we like TMBG so much, we *expect* them to be doing great stuff and putting out great albums, and they're not living up to the standard they set with their first 5, and that their shows aren't nearly as varied, either from show to show, or from tour to tour, as they used to. If you're that sick of it, then leave the list. Because really, bitching about what you perceive as other people bitching is hypocritical and doesn't get anyone anywhere. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d0849096.2547c8f3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:18:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Suck! > I also haven't seen anyone claim to be their Number One Fan, as you say. > What > we have been doing is disputing the claim that a fan of a band must > absolutely > adore everything they do and never criticise it because why would someone > who > *likes* something ever criticise it? ...Wow. I guess I'm their Number One Fan then. ::grins impishly:: Lydia Who can still cyber-grin even when she's had a bad day ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01bf202a$c2887020$6c43c7d0@thedemonickangaroo> From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Concert photos from the four Bowery shows up! Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:24:20 -0400 Hey, I just posted all the shots of TMBG I took at the four recent Bowery Ballroom shows in New York City. I have also included some shots of the opening acts.. I got some especically great shots of the Duo set on 10/21.. check it totally out! -Mike http://www.ccnj.com/~tdk/tmbg.html ~ Go to my photos section. PS Look for my upcoming You Were Spirlaing website! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <38163D9B.54160ADF@tc.umn.edu> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:47:39 +0000 From: Matthew Schempp Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Linnell's "Tennessee" Well, I guess I'd better make good on my promise, neh? Here ya go...oh for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the poem again: Anecdote of a Jar By Wallace Stevens I placed a jar in Tennessee, And round it was, upon a hill. It made the slovenly wilderness Surround that hill. The wilderness rose up to it, And sprawled around, no longer wild. The jar was round upon the ground And tall and of a port in air. It took dominion every where. The jar was gray and bare. It did not give of bird or bush, Like nothing else in Tennessee. As far as I can tell, this poem has to do with the interaction of Nature (the wilderness) and technology (the jar). When the jar is placed on a hill, it makes all the surrounding area seem wild in comparison. Thus, technology first heightens nature's prominence. But this doesn't last long. Technology's influence eventually controlls nature, making it no longer wild. The jar than becomes the dominant fixture, tall and wide. The last line is especially sad in this interp. as technology causes the desctruction of nature (no more birds or bushes) and turns Tennessee into a striken land. Hope that suffices, and if it doesn't, yell at me for awhile. MadS P.S. The reason I asked when the poem was written was because certain words in the poem (Sprawled, port of air (airport), gray and bare, dominion everywhere) made me think of urban sprawl and suburbs. Although, it obviously was not the original intention of the poem, I think the Jar as suburbia metaphor fits rather nicely...although you would have to ask a Tennesseean to be certain. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <38163DDF.BD0C179D@tc.umn.edu> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:48:47 +0000 From: Matthew Schempp Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Re: TMBG Suck! -=eRiCh=- wrote: > Nathan said: > > Shut up! You suck! Why don't YOU make an informative comment, you lousy > > bastard? > > Wow. Did it just get cold in here or is Nathan wearing an atomically > correct bra? > > -=eRiCh=- Those damn atomically correct bras...the fallout makes your back hurt! MadS ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG Suck! Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:18:58 -0700 Message-ID: <000001bf203a$c5bdb740$40c56ac6@tooms> > Who ever said they suck? I think it's pretty narrow minded of > you to say that > because some of us are saying their live show has become less > interesting than > it used to be, and we're quite peeved that they haven't really > put out any new > material for 3 years that we're saying they suck. "those horrible people! don't they know we're supposed to be their number one priority? so what if they are all trying to settle down and have lives and families? we think factory showroom was crap!" > I also haven't seen anyone claim to be their Number One Fan, as > you say. What > we have been doing is disputing the claim that a fan of a band > must absolutely > adore everything they do and never criticise it because why would > someone who > *likes* something ever criticise it? no one said that. my only point was that fans shouldn't be so whiny when a previously prolific band becomes less so. tmbg put out about as much as other bands. well, not moxy fruvous of course. of *course*. > I'd say that if anything, because we like TMBG so much, we > *expect* them to be > doing great stuff and putting out great albums, and they're not > living up to > the standard they set with their first 5, and that their shows > aren't nearly > as varied, either from show to show, or from tour to tour, as > they used to. *shrug* bands change. it's the same reason i don't like cure fans that liked 'em in the early 80's and hate their new stuff AND PERSIST TO BE ON LISTS talking exclusively about how much they hate all the new stuff. "aww, the cure used to be so good! what happened?" > If you're that sick of it, then leave the list. Because really, bitching > about what you perceive as other people bitching is hypocritical > and doesn't > get anyone anywhere. okay, buddy, i said *explicitly* in my message that i am leaving this list. i said i am staying on offtopic because the people there are nice to each other. it seems a bit doi to say "oh! well you're leaving the list? well why don't you just LEAVE THE LIST?". read more carefully next time. anyway. i'm unsubbing as of right about now, before i have to think of this list as a congregation point for people who want to spend weeks on end talking about why tmbg are stupid now. bridget "any more replies must be sent to my personal email, as the Great LPS has convinced me to unsubscribe. bow down! bow down!" guildner -i hope "doi" isn't too big of a huge insult... ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c7b29508.2547e70b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 01:26:35 EDT Subject: TMBG: Setlist/Review of Linnell's Tower Records in-store performance, Hi everybody, Tonight was quite a strange night for my family and I, I must say. Wonderful, though. Before the show, my husband spotted actor Nathan Lane walking down the street, and then later, he walked back up and past us (across the street), as we waited in line outside the record store. I brought a mini-tape recorder with me to the show, so I'll type out what I think is most necessary. Linnell (to audience, with accordion in his arms): "Don't sit please..it's just going to make me feel strange"... "Hello, I'm John. Welcome to my in-store...welcome to my 'display'." (There is a display around him as he is performing, which has the green print from the State Songs album as a decorative motif -- we say "Hi" back.) "Um, thanks for coming...you guys." (We say, "You're welcome.") "So, I just want to start by saying I'm..not..feeling..well today," ("awwws" all around) which is by way of saying that if you come see my *band* play the State Songs at the shows we're going to be doing around here over the next couple of months, it's going to be *way* better. So if you like this, in other words, you will love the show we're going to do at The Turning Point in Piermont, NY, which is somewhere near Nyack, in the 14th of November. And also, we'll be at the Bowery Ballroom (someone in the crowd says "December 11th," and the crowd laughs)...December 11th. I'll say it again at the end, after you decide whether you ever want to see this kind of music live again." First song: The Songs of the Fifty States (beautiful! when he forgot the words, at a rather interesting point, he improvised in a way to make the song seem flawless: "Every state a different composition keeping me awake, late at night, can't forget, not to remember, part of the song, where I go, can't get them out of my mind." After he's done, Linnell says, "OK, this gets better..." (we clap) "They say the accordion is too loud -- what do you guys think?" (the crowd seems to think it's fine) "Right level of accordion, vocal level OK, everything sound alright?" (again, we say all is well) "Alright..." "So this is a song that's called 'Oregon.' It's not about the real state of Oregon, for those of you who are from Oregon." Second song: Oregon (his vocals to this sounded so great in the store :-) ...he was struggling a bit with the accordion on this one, and nearly stopped at one point, but he simply paused, and kept going) Third song: South Carolina (just a tad off on the accordion, but overall, sounded great...lots of applause on this one) Linnell: "Well, this is the one I'm really afraid of...I practiced this one the hardest, and still don't know if I've mastered the intricacies of New Hampshire." (we laugh) "I'm going to try...the thing that's going to happen is I'm going to wipeout at some point, and the mystery is 'When during the song will it happen?' " Fourth song: New Hampshire (and of course, his performance of it tonight was near-perfect...personally, I was touched -- and we all seemed to be amused by the lyrics) During the applause, Linnell says, "Other people make it look easy...I make it look hard." (Linnell asks a nearby man offstage to pass over a small bottle of water to him) "I just want to mention that Rounder, in their infinite wisdom, has put out an unbelievably attractive colored vinyl thing (we "ooh" and "aah" at the thing he holds up, which I can tell you is indeed a thing of rare beauty and shape...I sure am glad I pre-ordered one of those a few weeks back), which I think is coming out in about a week, is that right? (asking some man offstage) Week or two. This will be in stores...available...for purchase...for money (again we laugh). And what this is is the single 'Montana,' and there's a previously unreleased B-side...you can see if you know your state shapes...(a few people shout out "Louisiana!") That's right, somebody got it. We're going to start quizzing people on their shapes. That's 'Louisiana', that's not on the LP. (somebody asks "Can I buy it now?," and we laugh yet again). "It's the only copy, apparently. They're pressing them right now." "You guys really have to see me when I get better...and it's going to be a great show, we've got the set...oh, by the way, in New York, we're doing a performance with the carousel organ that was used on the record. In other words, it's this enormous machine that plays music by itself -- it's got a paper roll with the music punched into it. And I'm going to be singing along to it, and the band will be playing along to it on some tracks. You know, I think opinion is probably divided on whether it's a nice-sounding instrument, but it will be a very unique experience." Fifth song: Arkansas (a sweet and flawless performance -- I really like this song) Sixth song: Montana (again, wonderful song, sounded perfect -- Lin looks great performing this one on stage, singing those 'Le-e-e-eg!' parts, great photo opportunity for many) Linnell: "Thank you very much!" (followed by much cheering and clapping) "Thanks a lot -- I'm sick!" (he smiles after saying this) "Thanks for coming...I'm going to be signing your records, to convince you to...(Lin's water bottle tips over) ...I've been informed that my water is spilling out...I'm going to sign your records, to convince you to buy them if you haven't already. And that's happening...right here? (they inform him that is true) Can I have a chair? (lots of laughter) Lin puts personalized autographs on copies of State Songs that people brought up...I had bought an extra copy from Tower that afternoon for my kids, as I had pre-ordered a copy for myself, online a few weeks back -- so we had John sign my children's names on the CD, even having to tell him how to spell my daughter's name: L-A-M-B-E-R-L-Y My husband jokingly him that he was only there to buy an Andrew Gold album, and that his "display" was preventing him from doing so (a joke that Linnell found pretty funny)...and as for me, your dedicated reporter, I decided to go ahead and ask him that question that's been plaguing my mind since June of this year: "I was wondering if you remember a music box that I gave you, back in June, for your birthday and Father's Day?" He said he didn't recall receiving such an item. He asked me who I gave it to, and almost in unison, my husband and I said, "You!" (we were smiling when we said it). He looked a bit flustered, and said "I think I might have put it away somewhere with a bunch of other stuff...I know I wouldn't have thrown something like that out..." He seemed a bit embarrassed, and I felt a bit bad for having put him on the spot like that, so I said "well, I hope that when you find it, you enjoy it"...he smiled and said he would, and then signed the back of the Tony Millionaire bird postcard that tmbg-list member Jordan Arnot had given me moments before. After our family time at Tower Records, we went to a nearby Vietnamese restaurant (yet another new experience for us), and over dinner, I pondered over my first conversation with Mr. John Sidney Linnell -- a man that I have the utmost respect for...what's become of the music box is not important to me anymore...the box has already served it's purpose, as I was able to give something special to John, and of course, it's simply the thought that counts. Karen Riley :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-27 ******************************