Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 4 Monday, 4 October 1999 Today's Topics: RE: TMBG: tmbg: portland show(s) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 Re: TMBG: tmbg: portland show(s) Re: TMBG: Linnell Show TMBG: How I died in Oregon TMBG: TMBG.net overhaul TMBG: Seattle Show Re: TMBG: Seattle Show TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... TMBG: A spiffy story Re: TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Re:Subject: TMBG: Linnell Show Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... TMBG: Non-Tmbg: My final Message. Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Non-TMBG: Infinite Jest Re: Non-TMBG: Infinite Jest Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: RE: TMBG: tmbg: portland show(s) Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 23:53:07 -0700 Message-ID: <000001bf0d6b$f3b43ac0$bbc66ac6@tooms> > > anyone else there? i was wearing a paper hat that said [fetus?] all > > over it. > > anyone see me? :) > > i hate to sound ignorant and stupid but i think i'll risk it... what is > the significance of that? can you explain? heehee. :) there was no significance. it's a rhetorical question. sort of. but it wasn't a political statement! (it's actually a reference to a guy i know that i call fetus) jeez, was NO ONE else there? come on! i recognized a bunch of people from last year in portland... come on! people! bridget http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ ------------------------------ From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <9968ea4e.25287e7c@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 05:40:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 In a message dated 10/03/1999 1:40:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << And for some reason all their songs, no matter how sad, make me happier. >> Stomp box too? ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <552803c7.2528657f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 03:53:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: portland show(s) In a message dated 10/1/99 5:55:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tooms@proaxis.com writes: > anyone else there? i was wearing a paper hat that said [fetus?] all over it. > anyone see me? :) *jumpin up and down* I was there! I WAS THERE! Well, I at least at the second show! EEEEEEEEEEEK! John Linnell, John Flansburgh, and Dan Hicky walked right up to me while Dan Miller was doing his solo intro for Istanbul! That was just spooky. There I was minding my own business, I turn to my right 'cause I sensed someone staring at me, and sure enough, THERE THEY WERE! Not 2 feet away. *sigh* BTW, Anyone make Seattle's show? I was right by John L's keyboard, leaning on the stage. That was just a great spot. I even had a bouncer to my right, felt VERY safe. :) Ugh, uncomplete setlists later. I must sleep now. kreadoubt "HI!" JL ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <4f3e349b.2528d318@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:41:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Show In a message dated 10/3/99 1:10:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cannon10@home.com writes: << Anyone know if that place in LA has a webpage? i forget what the place is called the triboroaroinocicikdkifkf or something.... -=eRiCh=- >> There is a temporary site for The Troubadour at the following URL: http://www.rockcitynews.com/clubs/troubadour/index2.html Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <39ec9f2a.252900c5@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 14:56:05 EDT Subject: TMBG: How I died in Oregon Ahh yes. The Oregon fiasco that ended in a *sigh* Sooooo a few weeks ago I called Ticketmaster to book a ticket for myself for the show at the Aladin Theatre, Portland Oregon. I had a few days off, so I deceded to drvie down from rainy Seattle. SO! I get to the theatre around 6:00 expectcing to pick up my ticket and just walk in. I explain that I have a ticket through Will Call. The ticket lady does some looking and says "sorry, no ticket under that name" DOH! "Are you sure?" Its about this time that I notice the sign in the window...."THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS.....SOLD OUT" My heart began racing.....NO, this can't be happening, I just drove 3 hours to see this show........"Wait! When did you order your ticket?" I reply, "I don't know, a few weeks ago. I have the convermation....." "Hold on, hold on....here it is.....For the 10:30 show" Appartenly, when I had ordered MY ticket, the original show was sold out, so TMBG opted to do a second show, as a result of so many inquireis. YEAH! I was sad that I couldn't go to both shows, but I was happy to walk off with my ticket for the late show. By the time I found a hotel and a bite to eat it was time to head back down to the theatre. I went in and found the place to be a cozy little theatre. Though the stage was some what small, it was diffintely bigger than last years venue. Anyways, after a very short period They Were Spiralling came out. Played about 10 songs or so. They were good, I enjoyed their own material and the covers. THEN! THEY came out, after a short stage set up. Here's a list of songs, probably not complete and in no particualr order: Drinking (1st song) Replacements (2nd song) Older (3rd song) Mr. Klaw Turn Around (JF)"Hey John, want to butcher a song?" (JL) "Ummm, ok" (JF) tothe audience...."NO! We're NOT doing FREE BIRD, so STOP asking!" JL "Are we going to butcher someone else's song, or one of our own?" (JF)"Oh, let's do Turn Around" Shoehorn With Teeth Cyclops Rock Spy Particle Man Famous Polka She's An Angel Particle Man She's Actual Size NYC It's So Loud In Here Dig My Grave Mr. Tambourine Man Twisting Encore Istanbul Okay, I have to tell you were I was standing at this very second. Just off to the right side of Linnell's keyboard. Standing by a railing. About 15 feet to my right was an arched doorway blocked by a red curtain...... Dan Miller takes center stage and is illumintated by one single clear bright light. after about 45 seconds of the acoustical guitar solo, someone walks up to my right side and into my right ear..."SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh" I jumped and turned and was face to face with JOHN LINNELL, JOHN FLANSBURGH AND DAN HICKY EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! Of course in the split second it took me to realize who it was, everyone around me noitced and was like "ooooooooo, wooooooooooow" etc. THEN! John Linnell climbed up on stage and inched his way around the front edge of the speakers, followed by John Flansburgh and Dan Hicky Maybe I know Birdhouse JL "Here's a song that we could play, even if you chopped our heads off. All there would be would be blood spurting from our necks and we could STILL play this song, we know it THAT well." That was it. I headed back to my hotel and the next morning drove back up to Seattle to get ready for the next show that night. *sigh* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 14:43:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: TMBG.net overhaul Message-ID: Well... http://www.tmbg.net/ has been overhauled completely. I venture to say it is much easier to navigate now and much easier on the eyes. Check it out, and feel free to send me any suggestions... -- Jish TMBG.net http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <50c38933.252910a4@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:03:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: Seattle Show WARNING: Very Long Winded, read at your risk... This show was even better than the night before! I had such a good time I didn't want to leave! I had to go get my ticket through Will Call, yet again. I got to the ShowBox theatre about 8:20. ShowBox is appropriately named, a small "box" for shows. Anyways, I'm standing there and 2 girls in front of me were having a disagreement. "I can't believe you are dragging me in to this. I really don't want to go" Just as she says this, one of the bouncers walks out and announces...."If you don't have a ticket, or are not on the guest list, you aren't getting in. The show is SOLD OUT" It seems as though the girl who was being "dragged" to the show, didn't have a ticket, but her friend did. Short story, even shorter, one of them left in a huff. heehee. So anyway, I get in the door just after 8:30 and realize that this show wasn't even going to start until 10:00. UGH! So I wander towards the stage looking for friends that I found out didn't even bother to show up until after the opening act. grrrrrrrrr. I walked towards the right side of the stage, near the keyboard and start looking for anyone I might know. I managed a spot right up against the stage just off to the right of the keyboard. I was very happy with my spot, and decided there was NO WAY I was gonna budge. I had never been so close. There was no barrier and the stage was about waste high. I was so close to everything i could read the stickers on the equipment..."down stage right" "up stage right." I could tell you which lights were lit on the consoles, even where the button was to the confetti cannon. BTW, in case you were wandering, there's a power strip on the right side of the keyboard that Linnell flips on just at the right second that makes the cannon explode. :) I could even read the sign on the Golcenkspiel. There was a blue terry cloth towel covering it, with a big piece of masking tape over it that reads..."Glockenspiel Cover" Yep, it actually says that. About 10:00 You Were Spiralling came out. I like this performance much better. The lead band member had gotten a hair cut and we a little bit more mellow for this show. It just seemed like a much better performance. Maybe it was were I was standing, though. They played till about 10:45 Stage set up took about 20 minutes and then all seemed relatively quiet on stage. Someone crossed the stage sporting a lagre punch bowl full of ice and many many small bottles of liquor. I watched as that person disapeared back stage....hmmmmm. Then Dan Hicky came out, seemed to be looking for something, then left the stage. A few minutes later went by, and he came back out with a guy, I'm guessing was their stage manager. Dan seemed to be trying to explain something to the guy and the guy seemed like he was annoyed. They crossed the stage a few more times before going back stage. Meanwhile, this guy came over and stood to my right. And I was thinking, he's not going to see much from that spot because of those speakers right there. I then realized he was a bouncer. I said hello to him and he said hi. Then said, if things got out of hand that he would need to get up on the stage. I suppose he just felt like I needed to know that. Oh well.... FINALLY! Dan Dan and Grahm (yeah Grahm Mayby) came out on stage and started the show with... (in no particular order) Drinking - John and John came out half way through and joined in. Older Spider The Guitar Birdhouse Older SEXXY - JF "Here's a long distance dedication to all those Ladies out there" Radio TMBG - JF " I think we shoud do that one again, so they will remember it." Radio TMBG - JL "Hey John, Let's do it one more time, just for the heck of it" Radio TMBG JF "I think we peaked the second time around" Turn Around Finished With Lies - JL "Here's a song that isn't available ANYWHERE!" JF "welllllllllllll" JL "It's NOT available ANYWHERE! You SHOULDN'T know this one. I will be VERY surprised if you know this one. Because you can't hear it ANYWHERE!" James K. Polk - JL "WOW, who would ever dream about singing about the Oregon Territory would ever get a crowd going?" Cyclops Rock She Thinks She's Edith Head ( I really like this one live) She's An Angel Famous Polka Particle Man She's Actual Size I Love the Glockenspiel Shoehorn With Teeth - JF "We need a voooooluuuuuuuuuuunttteeeeeeeeeer from thhhhhhhhhhhe BAND! Where IS Dan, anyway?" Dan Hicky was off to the side hding Shoehorn With Teeth/CD fast forward version - JF "So uh, how many of you were there lastyear at that summer music festival thing we played at? *much cheering* Well, if you weren't there, we played in this indoor soccer arena, so we didn't really feel that would could get away with doing something like this. But, we're feeling pretty relaxed now" I Hate That F*****G Glockenspiel - John Flansburgh walks over to the Glockenspiel and starts singing how he really hates that ******* Glockenspiel She's An Angel Particle Man Don't Let's Start - "Well, here's a song that was our very first single, EVER!" Afterwards....JF "Yeah know, I was thinking about music from the eitghites, yah know like The Go Go's, with 'We've got the beat' and I was thinking how THAT song just was to close to Don't Let's Start as far as style. Of course we can admit that now, since that was like a decade ago. But yah know, back then we thought we were really doing something different" Mr. Klaw Whistling In the Dark - Complete with Bass Drum JF "That song defined the music of the eighties" JL "Nineties John! That song was from the NINTIES!" JF "Well, it was WRITTEN in the eighties, but you're right, it came out on our first album of this decade in 1990. so yeah! It was the cutting edge of the nineties." ENCORE Maybe I Know - John and John duo, no band. John Linnell on Keyboards and John Flansburgh standing next to him with the wireless mic. SPY Istanbul NYC Dr. Worm That list is in no particular order, but I think I got at least most of what they played. *sigh* -Kreadoubt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991003215504.85334.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Show Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 14:55:04 PDT Kreadoubt wrote: >Finished With Lies - JL "Here's a song that isn't available ANYWHERE!" JF >"welllllllllllll" JL "It's NOT available ANYWHERE! You SHOULDN'T know >this >one. I will be VERY surprised if you know this one. Because you >can't >hear it ANYWHERE!" What about on dialasong.com? >Don't Let's Start - "Well, here's a song that was our very first >single, >EVER!" They don't count the FlexiDisk of "Everything Right Is Wrong Again" as a single, then? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 18:02:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... ah, there's a new poll involving tmbg, only they're actually one of the choices. http://www.pathfinder.com /ew/fab400/stars100/ (and if you could, vote also for dave foley, liz phair, rufus wainwright, maura tierney, and [conan o'brien or jon stewart or david cross or janeane garofalo] in their respective categories, that'd be coo'. ;)) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 18:06:03 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37F7D34B.E362EF58@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: A spiffy story I have a spify little story to tell. Have a seat. So, I'm a college student who lives in a dorm. Most of my friends live on the same floor as me. They also all happen to be members of one of 4 music fraternities here on campus. (I'm not a member) Anyway, this is pledge period for the 4 of them. If you don't know anything about pledging, the mebebers of the frats. (f.y.i-just b/c it's a frat, doesn't mean that there arent females in it.) make things for the pledges that mostly revolve around music. So heres the spiffy part. Being the TMBG fan that I am I have "Music self-played is happiness self made" from one of their t-shirts, on the outside of my door. One of the sorority members made a pretty little poster that said that quote. She got it from me! It's so spiffy. I'm happy. So theres my story. I'm not really crazy. :o) -A ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:40:40 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Message-ID: <19991003.194041.-458793.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > (and if you could, vote also for dave foley, liz phair, rufus > wainwright, > maura tierney, and [conan o'brien or jon stewart or david cross or > janeane > garofalo] can i make everyone jealous? i live across the street from janeane (sp?). i also live next door to ricki lake but that's a whole other story. to make this somewhat tmbg related... i saw hal sirowitz perform today (yes, that's in the book store beneath ricki lakes apartment). it was pretty damn fun. He's in the process of writing his next book - can't member what exactly he said the title was but it was something like "hal said." ok, i'm outtie! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F7EB07.A35D5F57@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 16:47:21 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re:Subject: TMBG: Linnell Show "-=eRiCh=-" >Anyone know if that place in LA has a webpage? i forget what the place is >called the triboroaroinocicikdkifkf or something.... Its the Troubador. They don't seem to have a web page. I was planning to check their ad in the LA Weekly every Thursday for the official date on the Linnell show. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991003235850.39306.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 16:58:50 PDT Regarding that poll that includes TMBG as a choice, does anyone know who any of those authors that are mentioned there are? I don't think I've heard of a single one. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991003235823.16396.rocketmail@web107.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:58:23 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: My final Message. There comes a time for all good things to end. And apperantly it's time for me to say goodbye to this little peice of TMBG heaven sorry but the rest of my non-existant life is telling me I must leave though i do not wish to. So on this final note I leave you you've been good to me thanks! Oh ya and I forgot how to unsubscribe could someone tell me. Adam Gaya "forgetting things into the New Millenium!" ===== __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <447f9136.25294ea1@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:28:17 EDT Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... In a message dated 10/3/99 7:00:21 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >Regarding that poll that includes TMBG as a choice, does anyone know who >any >of those authors that are mentioned there are? I don't think I've heard >of >a single one. not me. i only chose the one with sparks as a last name 'cos i like talk soup. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991004010918.98148.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 18:09:17 PDT sarah wrote: >In a message dated 10/3/99 7:00:21 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > > >Regarding that poll that includes TMBG as a choice, does anyone know who > >any > >of those authors that are mentioned there are? I don't think I've heard > >of > >a single one. > > >not me. i only chose the one with sparks as a last name 'cos i like >talk >soup. I chose someone that I thought had a kind of neat last name. I think it started with a B. Those are probably just all names of guys from off the street. They probably figure that people who vote in online polls don't read books, or something like that. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <76b65125.25295943@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:13:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-3 In a message dated 10/3/99 5:42:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, KingoPuns@aol.com writes: > << And for some reason all their songs, no matter how sad, > make me happier. >> > Stomp box too? I love that one. I know, I know, it's evil and tortured and I do recognize this, yes. It's just... Frighteningly headbangable ;) Lydia Evil and tortured since 1837 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:32:21 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Message-ID: On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 10/3/99 7:00:21 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > > >Regarding that poll that includes TMBG as a choice, does anyone know who > >any > >of those authors that are mentioned there are? I don't think I've heard > >of > >a single one. > > > not me. i only chose the one with sparks as a last name 'cos i like talk > soup. I only recognized David Foster Wallace, because he wrote my favorite book of all time, Infinite Jest. Everybody go to you library and get it, right now. It's only 1000+ pages. --Jamal ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:36:24 EDT Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: tmbg on a new poll... Jamal wrote: > I only recognized David Foster Wallace, because he wrote my favorite book > of all time, Infinite Jest. Everybody go to you library and get it, right > now. It's only 1000+ pages. What's it about? I once read a book that was over 1000 pages, and that became my favorite book of all time. It took me six months to get through it. Beth ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 00:46:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Non-TMBG: Infinite Jest Message-ID: It's kind of hard to describe what the book is about. Basically, the author sets op the characters and a bit of plot, and then turns to you and starts rattling things off the top of is head. Here's a more detailed review from the Midwest Book Review: Set in an addicts' halfway house and a tennis academy, and featuring the most endearingly screwed-up family to come along in recent fiction, Infinite Jest explores essential questions about what entertainment is and why it has come to so dominate our lives; about how our desire for entertainment affects our need to connect with other people; and about what the pleasures we choose say about who we are. Equal parts philosophical quest and screwball comedy, Infinite Jest bends every rule of fiction without sacrificing for a moment its own entertainment value. It is an exuberant, uniquely American exploration of the passions that make us human. Infinite Jest is one of the those rare books that renew the idea owhat a novel can do. Infinite Jest is perhaps the most innovative novel in the English language since James Joyce's Ulysses. I highly recommend it. --Jamal On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 Azelma1115@aol.com wrote: > Jamal wrote: > > I only recognized David Foster Wallace, because he wrote my favorite book > > of all time, Infinite Jest. Everybody go to you library and get it, right > > now. It's only 1000+ pages. > > What's it about? I once read a book that was over 1000 pages, and that became > my favorite book of all time. It took me six months to get through it. > > > > Beth > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 01:09:35 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7t9fe2$qs8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Infinite Jest Jamal Rogers wrote in message news:Pine.HPP.3.91.991004003954.1564C-100000@newton.math.grin.edu... > It's kind of hard to describe what the book is about. Basically, the > author sets op the characters and a bit of plot, and then turns to you > and starts rattling things off the top of is head. Here's a more detailed > review from the Midwest Book Review: > I highly recommend it. I'd only like to add two things. One, the first 30 pages or so of this book were written as a series of short stories and such for various magazines, and as such it starts off a bit uneven. My suggestion is, just go with it, don't try to make too much sense of stuff in the begining, because later the book levels out and you coast through it. I only mention this because all of the friends I've recommended this book to have had problems with the first 30 pages. B, The title, Infinite Jest, refers to the title of a film in the book which is so staggering funny that it is fatal to watch. Two, It is a very good book, very funny, oddly touching, and contains about 200 pages of annotations (a trademark of Wallace). -Jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-4 *****************************