Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 6 Wednesday, 6 October 1999 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons TMBG: Re: tmbg on a new poll... Re:TMBG: Seattle Show Re: TMBG: state songs on the radio TMBG: Brunching Shuttlecocks Re: TMBG: cool stations, made totally portable online RE: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons Re: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE Re: TMBG: cool stations, made totally portable online RE: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE TMBG: semi-tmbg: Loser's Lounge tribute to Fleetwood Mac! Re: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE TMBG: An (early) TMBG year in review, and a look at the next... Re: TMBG: state songs on the radio Re: TMBG: An (early) TMBG year in review, and a look at the next... non TMBG: Anybody home? Re: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons [are you out there jim?] Re: non TMBG: Anybody home? TMBG: HEY EVERYBODY!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 03:50:46 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons Has anyone heard from Jim Kuemmerle or Mike Leffel? I haven't seen posts from either one of them in a long time ... Arwen "no witty quote" AnaNg ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F9D3D1.1FD3046B@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 03:32:54 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg on a new poll... LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: >ah, there's a new poll involving tmbg, only they're actually one of the >choices. >HREF="http://www.pathfinder.com/ew/fab400/stars100/">http://www.pathfinder.com >/ew/fab400/stars100/ I just finished voting. How do you suppose TMBG got on that list anyway? Apparently the choices were determined by Entertainment Weekly somehow. (Obviously to avoid the usual Hitler, Christ and Drunken Dwarf votes that make a joke out of the whole thing.) I wonder if Linnell success in the People poll had anything to do with it. Or maybe since the poll deals with stars of the new millennium, the MP3 album marked them as cutting edge musicians. In the TV ACTRESS category, I couldn't find ANY of them particularly respected so instead I had to ask myself which one would I want to sleep with? Then suddenly, there were several good choices. But anyway... the BIG question: Is it possible to cheat on this poll? Is it as easy as disabling your cookies? VOTE NOW: http://www.pathfinder.com/ew/fab400/stars100/ -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F9D71F.B6E805D9@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 03:47:01 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re:TMBG: Seattle Show From: Kreadoubt@aol.com wrote: > BTW, in case you were wandering, there's a power strip on >the right side of the keyboard that Linnell flips on just at the right second >that makes the cannon explode. :) Ugh! Mankind is not meant to know such secrets. Its like pointing out the rabbit hiding up the magician's sleeve. Anyway, I had always thought it was a stage hand controlling it. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F9E933.B62C45EC@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 05:04:12 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs on the radio "Spencer Owen" wrote: >>uhm... i'm listening to the radio, and the dj that's on is playing state >>songs.. >Oh, man. That's too much. Here in L.A. we have KROQ and crappy college stations. KROQ = Kid Rock, Korn, Limp >Bizkit. Crappy college stations = jumbled mess. I hate you people in NY with good radio stations. grrr. That's very true. KROQ used to be a sponsor of TMBG shows but they always did a lousy job of promoting them. I tried to get "Jed the Fish" to play Dr. Worm (since he seems to be one of the few KROQ DJs that picks his own music but he wouldn't.) The only chance you'll get to hear TMBG on KROQ is on Richard Blade's "Flashback Lunch" By coincidence, I was in my car today and I heard "Birdhouse". Instantly, I thought I had one of my mix tapes playing but the tape player wasn't on ... it was coming from the radio! It turns out that it was Y107 FM. Even though I can listen to the CD at any time there's something magic about hearing it being broadcast over the airwaves. You people in New York (where the EVEN play State Songs!!!) wouldn't understand what a rare thrill these kind of things are for us. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19991005122104.00a5d210@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 07:21:04 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Brunching Shuttlecocks There's a mention of TMBG in the Brunching Shuttlecock's latest "article": http://www.brunching.com/ratings/rate-oldweb.html Harf, Mitch http://www.mitcharf.com/ "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <50ce3828.252b5275@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:09:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: cool stations, made totally portable online In a message dated 10/4/99 11:32:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << Isn't it "Istanbul" that has a Park Slope mix? Your mentioning Park Slope just made me think of that. It's the Brownsville remix of "Istanbul" that has the white tornado, right? I have a hard time keeping all of those mixes straight. >> There are four mixes of Istanbul (Not Constantinople) that I'm aware of: Williamsburg Mix (the album version) Brownsville Mix (with the white tornado) Bedford / Stuyvesant Mix Park Slope Mix Karen (MuseKJ@aol.com) ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 06:54:19 -0700 Message-ID: <000201bf0f39$1ed39b00$08c66ac6@tooms> > Has anyone heard from Jim Kuemmerle or Mike Leffel? I haven't > seen posts from > either one of them in a long time ... Mike is Gone. He's been off this list for a long time now, and he just recently departed the offtopic list from computer troubles. I don't know if Bob is still on here to clear up when he'll be back... As for Jim, I have no idea. Jim? We miss you.. Bridget "Listie messenger from the Gods!" Guildner http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ > Arwen "no witty quote" AnaNg ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:55:28 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons In a message dated 10/5/99 9:54:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tooms@proaxis.com writes: << Mike is Gone. He's been off this list for a long time now, and he just recently departed the offtopic list from computer troubles. I don't know if Bob is still on here to clear up when he'll be back... >> Bob Scott and Erika have both gone off the ontopic list now, too...they both are currently on the offtopic one, though. I think Bob isn't sure himself when Mike will be back. Karen (MuseKJ@aol.com) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991005164632.51033.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 10:46:32 MDT This is by far one of the coolest things I've ever read on this list!! I'm going to see They Might Be Giants tonight, and tomorrow night too!! (As I pull my "Ambassador's of Love" shirt over my head) YES! I'm so lucky!!! I feel so fortunate that They usually play two nights when they stop in Colorado!!!!!!! Will have update for y'all in a few days! JessIca "There's a place for those who love Their poetry--just across from the sign that says 'pros only'" >Long Tall Weekend, >to the tune of Meet James Ensor >... > >Long Tall Weekend >the Giants' latest album >Download it and listen now >Appreciate the Johns > >Before there was Damage >Before it was made >They recorded some songs Elektra didn't use >That album was transformed... >Now fans gather round >Listened to the net-cast so they could be the first > >To get Long Tall Weekend >the Giants' latest album >Download it and sit and stare >We all love the Johns > >They lost all those discs >They didn't need those discs >They lived out in Brooklyn then uploaded themselves >The world has forgotten >The world moved along >The Giants were the first to use only bits > >Long Tall Weekend >Long Tall Weekend >the Giants' latest album >Download it and listen now >Please support the Johns ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991005165345.88100.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: cool stations, made totally portable online Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 09:53:44 PDT Karen Riley wrote: >In a message dated 10/4/99 11:32:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >xornom@hotmail.com writes: > ><< Isn't it "Istanbul" that has a Park Slope mix? Your mentioning Park >Slope > just made me think of that. > > It's the Brownsville remix of "Istanbul" that has the white tornado, >right? > I have a hard time keeping all of those mixes straight. >> > >There are four mixes of Istanbul (Not Constantinople) that I'm aware of: > >Williamsburg Mix (the album version) >Brownsville Mix (with the white tornado) >Bedford / Stuyvesant Mix >Park Slope Mix I don't believe I've heard the Park Slope mix. What does it sound like? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991005165713.99963.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 09:57:12 PDT Bridge Therease wrote: > > Has anyone heard from Jim Kuemmerle or Mike Leffel? I haven't > > seen posts from > > either one of them in a long time ... > >Mike is Gone. He's been off this list for a long time now, and he just >recently departed the offtopic list from computer troubles. I don't know if >Bob is still on here to clear up when he'll be back... > >As for Jim, I have no idea. Jim? We miss you.. I remember a post from Jim saying that he might be leaving the list. This was around when the most recent flame war started, and he said something along of the lines of "It was bad enough when people criticized off-topic posts, but now they're criticizing on-topic, too." I don't know if he ever actually left or not. Maybe someone could e-mail Jim and ask him if he's actually left? No, that would be too simple. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:15:56 -0500 From: "John David Crafton" Message-ID: <7tdf8u$30di$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE jEsSiCa Schleiger wrote in message news:19991005164632.51033.qmail@hotmail.com... > "There's a place for those who love Their poetry--just across from the sign > that says 'pros only'" actually, it's "prose only". --John David Crafton That is all. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:43:29 -0400 Subject: TMBG: semi-tmbg: Loser's Lounge tribute to Fleetwood Mac! Message-ID: <19991005.154332.-356649.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEy HEY... so here goes really quick. This friday, october 8th at Fez is a loser's lounge tribute to fleetwood mac. This is somewhat tmbg related as Joe McGinty is playing keyboards and well yeah - we all know his part in mono puff. Sean Altman (who can strangely be related to mono puff through uh barry carl and the whole rockapella scene) will be there singing backup vocals (?). anyways, it's bound to be a fun time... so... if anyone is interested in tagging along with me or is planning on going anyways, e-mail me! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991005195902.55942.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 12:59:01 PDT John David Crafton wrote: >jEsSiCa Schleiger wrote in message >news:19991005164632.51033.qmail@hotmail.com... > > "There's a place for those who love Their poetry--just across from the >sign > > that says 'pros only'" > > >actually, it's "prose only". The lyrics sheet says "pros only," but it's intended to be heard both ways. It's a pun, see? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 16:18:34 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37FA5D1A.FFAE68EF@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: An (early) TMBG year in review, and a look at the next... I was just thinking about the last year in TMBG, and realized that what we expected from the Johns in January is nothing close to what we got... If you remember in Jan., TMBG had made their split from Electra official and were talking about doing 2 albums in 1999, a studio album, their first since 96's FS and a Childern's Album for Rounder records, not to mention there usual gobs of touring. And that was basically it. What we got (except for the touring) was completely different... 1. The new video compilation, replacing the long out of print one from the early '90s with all current videos and (bonus) the Tiny Toons clips. 2. Long Tall Weekend: the mp3-only album of FS outtakes, some favorite DAS's and odds and ends and the ensuing release party webcast. It was generally well recieved by TMBG fans, but ticked off most people w/o access to a T1 line. (not to mention the long ethical debate about making CD copies..) 3. Dr. Evil: TMBG go to the movies. TMBG did the opening theme for the 2nd Austin Powers movie (which will finally see offical release next month on the 2nd soundtrack) TMBG now seem to be getting heavily into the TV and Movie music bis on the side with this, the Malcom in the Middle theme for Fox and... 4. Brave New World: Older gets TMBG a mini-series gig. After Older on NPR Robert Kulwich called TMBG up to do some work for his new series. TMBG did 5 video/song segments for the Nightline in Primetime series with mixed results. Generally liked, but the segments seemed to be hurt by (possibly) a lack of production time, the ideas on some of them didn't seemed to be fleshed out. Another big debate topic... (I still have yet to hear or see the last segment, can anyone help me with that?) 5. John Linnell goes solo??? Yes, years in the making the shy half of TMBG does his first solo album for Rounder. A continuation of his hello project "State Songs", will be released in 3 weeks and what we are hearing sounds good. But here's the bigger suprise: A solo TOUR. We all know of JL's shy, limelite shunning personality, so this is a suprise, he will be mounting at least a small solo tour behind "State Songs". :) 6. Radio TMBG. TMBG get even more tech crazy... Radio They Might Be Giants on(at?) WiredPlanet.com (sing it with me) TMBG program a mp3 radio station with ancedotes, hello material, and of course some TMBG classics. However, good ol' dial-a-song is left off the hook :( 7. (maybe) Free mp3s thru tmbg.com. Currently they are promising some free tmbg mp3s thru tmbg.com. More of this year's theme "Let's play to our internet fanbase". We don't know what they will be, but my money is on the BNW songs. And so, we are left looking forward to the year 2000 for TMBG expecting basically what we expected in 1999, a new Stuido Album to be released on CD, and a childern's album on Rounder, along with gobs of touring. While I can't wait for these, I wouldn't mind another year of the wild unexpected that we were treated to this year... Peter -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ From: OCSabrina@aol.com Message-ID: <1f0199de.252bce3e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:57:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs on the radio You said:>> That's very true. KROQ used to be a sponsor of TMBG shows but they always did a lousy job of promoting them. I tried to get "Jed the Fish" to play Dr. Worm (since he seems to be one of the few KROQ DJs that picks his own music but he wouldn't.) The only chance you'll get to hear TMBG on KROQ is on Richard Blade's "Flashback Lunch" well on the 28th at the House of Blues there was a KROQ van there, so obviously *someone* at KROQ is still a fan. I actually heard a DJ on Y107 talk about TMBG's HOB gig a week before it happened. And i think it was Kevin or Bean on KROQ (hard to tell them apart) who mentioned a TMBG song, which escapes my mind at the moment, and Lisa May said something to the effect of "oh hey, i like those guys" . i think that was all i had to say. sabrina ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:43:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: An (early) TMBG year in review, and a look at the next... << And so, we are left looking forward to the year 2000 for TMBG expecting basically what we expected in 1999, a new Stuido Album to be released on CD, and a childern's album on Rounder, along with gobs of touring. While I can't wait for these, I wouldn't mind another year of the wild unexpected that we were treated to this year... >> Yeah, it's certainly been quite a year, eh? Especially the BNW segments...waiting to see what They came up with each week was pretty exciting. I'm glad they've gotten so many exciting opportunities this year, and that Hollywood has really discovered them since the Austin Powers gig. I heard there were quite a few celebs at the show, including Weird Al, Dave Foley, and possibly Mike Meyers. Alas, from posts I've read on this list and the newsgroup, a lot of fans weren't too happy with their projects this year, and would probably have been happier if we had gotten what they originally planned to release. Ah, well, patience is a virtue..and a necessity for a TMBG fan ;) Kay, getting quite excited about the State Songs cd ------------------------------ From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: non TMBG: Anybody home? Date: Tue, Oct 5 1999 17:16:04 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <21195393729787@tmbg.org> So, has this list really been this dead lately, or have I been accidentally unsubscribed again? Love? What do you know of love?! Dexter M. Flansburgh * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.ab543ff3.252c1655@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:04:53 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons [are you out there jim?] Erika told me to forward the following post, 'cause she only sent it to me by mistake: Subj: Re: NON-TMBG: Missing Persons [are you out there jim?] Date: 10/5/99 3:15:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time From: hotel_detective1@juno.com (Cap'n eriKa rae) To: MuseKJ@aol.com Karen: >Bob Scott and Erika have both gone off the ontopic list now, too... No, I haven't. ^_^ >I think Bob isn't sure himself >when Mike will be back. When he's done with his world-wide missionary trip to covert everyone to Leffelism. Nathan: >Maybe someone could e-mail Jim and ask him if he's actually left? No, that >would be too simple. I spoke to Jim a while ago, and as far as I know, he's still on both the on- and off-topic lists, but may disconnect soon from both due to "big hairy prelim exams." That doesn't exactly solve whether he's here or not, but I'm sure if he happens to catch a whole bunch of posts talking about him, he may say something. ever-sincere, eriKa, jim kuemmerle is cool. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <9c6ae36f.252c14dd@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:58:37 EDT Subject: Re: non TMBG: Anybody home? In a message dated 10/5/99 8:11:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Blood-Bank-Man@tmbg.org writes: << So, has this list really been this dead lately, or have I been accidentally unsubscribed again? >> This list has been so dead lately, I've suddenly got an urge to do an interpretive dance... Pointing ---> human skull... on the ground.... turn around... Happy Early Halloween, Silver Shamrock.... Tee Hee Karen "Boo" Riley The ghost of MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <34718ead.252c24f6@aol.com> Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 00:07:18 EDT Subject: TMBG: HEY EVERYBODY!!! Has everyone downloaded the free TMBG mp3 from emusic??? Its at-- www.emusic.com/promo/tmbg/list.html You just type your email address and you get a free mp3 called Hey Everybody! Its a silly tmbg song...its cool...GET IT... TDK had a horrible quality shorter version of this song on his page once...this is MUCH better...studio-ish quality "I'm Frankenberry....I'm Frankenberry"- tmbg Jordan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-6 *****************************