Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 7 Thursday, 7 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither Re: TMBG: state songs on the radio Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE Re: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE Re: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE TMBG: Dial a song phone line TMBG: Hey Everybody! TMBG: show prices Re: TMBG: show prices Re: TMBG: show prices TMBG: My Evil Twin Re: TMBG: My Evil Twin Re: TMBG: My Evil Twin Re: TMBG: My Evil Twin TMBG: Broadcast Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991006012120.008062a0@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 01:21:20 -0700 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither Just a quick question... Why would anyone actually leave _this_ list to stick around on the "off-topic" list? Wouldn't that just be a sign that you don't care about the band known as They Might Be Giants at all, but you for some reason you like babbling on among other people that were brought together by said band in the first place? Kerry ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37FB21AB.2372BD0@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 03:17:18 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs on the radio OCSabrina@aol.com wrote: (about KROQ DJ's) >And i think it was Kevin >or Bean on KROQ (hard to tell them apart) who mentioned a TMBG song, which >escapes my mind at the moment, and Lisa May said something to the effect of >"oh hey, i like those guys" . They all say they like them and I'm sure they do but yet they never play them. The only time Dr. Worm got played on KROQ (that I know of) was when They were on Loveline. Actually, I only listen to KROQ about a half hour a month now. Its not worth it listening to all that Kid Rock or grunge oldies just hear hear something decent. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <60f8b472.252caf96@aol.com> Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:58:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither In a message dated 10/6/99 4:31:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time, murmur@tmbg.org writes: << Just a quick question... Why would anyone actually leave _this_ list to stick around on the "off-topic" list? Wouldn't that just be a sign that you don't care about the band known as They Might Be Giants at all, but you for some reason you like babbling on among other people that were brought together by said band in the first place? Kerry >> Well, I have been around here for a while, so I think I will attempt to explain the earth and moon that are the on and off topic lists. The reason the offtopic list began was because of those who felt a need to discuss more everyday type things with one another (and as a result formed a very tight-knit, open, friendly community, I must say), as well as anything about the band. People who only belong to the offtopic list find their info in other ways, such as hearing about it from people who belong to both lists (like me), or from the TMBG websites and newsgroups. Some people who have unsubscribed will come back after a time, for various reasons (one possibly being that they just can't pull away from that "powerful magnetism of the Johns" :-) As for me, personally, I bring my mostly TMBG-related material to the ontopic list, because there are more fans subscribed there, and that's the proper forum for it. When I want to discuss anything other, which might happen to also include TMBG-related stuff (or maybe just a mention or two of something from The World of They), then I head to the offtopic list. As a modicum of comfort, I believe the ontopic list is eons more intimate and friendly than the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup. But when I want to post to the world in general, the newsgroup is where it will go...however, the larger the amount of people you have reading your posts, the more feedback (both positive and negative) you will receive -- it just sort of comes with the online territory. Hope this provided at least some illumination toward your questions... Karen "the swirling cloud of starstuff that is TMBG" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991006151631.56196.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:16:31 MDT >The lyrics sheet says "pros only," but it's intended to be heard both >ways. >It's a pun, see? Yahoo! More fans of the often witty rhetorical device where one word (with the same pronunciation but possible alternative spellings) has multiple meanings, thus lending complexity and depth to what seems a straightforward statement!!! I'm giddy!!! Glad y'all caught that! jEsSiCa ~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199910061528.LAA02906@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:28:11 -0400 (EDT) That, my dear, is called a homonym. Pros and prose sound the same but mean different things, ya see? Okie dokie, Matt > > >The lyrics sheet says "pros only," but it's intended to be heard both > >ways. > >It's a pun, see? > > Yahoo! More fans of the often witty rhetorical device where one word (with > the same pronunciation but possible alternative spellings) has multiple > meanings, thus lending complexity and depth to what seems a straightforward > statement!!! I'm giddy!!! Glad y'all caught that! > > jEsSiCa > > > > ~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART > THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991006155853.54500.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:58:53 MDT >From: Matt James >To: alien3xa51@hotmail.com >CC: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: LTW as MJE >Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:28:11 -0400 (EDT) > >That, my dear, is called a homonym. Pros and prose sound the same but >mean different things, ya see? >Okie dokie, >Matt I did give a rather unclear, shortened statement...let me expound... You are correct in the respect that a "pun" usually is a homonym, a word with the same pronunciation but diff. meanings, but a pun is used specifically to add connective meaning (usually in a humorous or witty fashion) by functioning as a "play on words"--it has two (or more) possible applications...in this case, the use of "pros" (as in professional) in the line implies that "those who love their poetry" are not necessarily professional, and still have a place (even an elevated place ;) ) over so-called professionals; the use of "prose" implies that prose is "across from" (or opposite to) poetry. There are two implied contextual meanings, thus creating a pun. Thank you for requiring me to defend my crummy (but psychotically happy) unclear statement! And I do so love They Might Be Giants for giving us lyrics that can be enjoyed by anyone on the surface but still allow us diehards to analyze to our hearts content!!! :) jessica ~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:05:07 +0100 Subject: TMBG: Dial a song phone line What's the latest on this? Tried it last night and it just rang and rang with no answer. Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000c01bf1037$616de160$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Hey Everybody! Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:14:22 -0700 I really liked the music to that song. it was very very cool. I wonder if thats part of the free mp3z....? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991007010830.40567.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: TMBG: show prices Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 18:08:29 PDT Compared to other live shows that I go to, TMBG tickets are pretty expensive. Any idea why? The DC shows are $20. I'd fork out that amount easily, but my friends who I may want to take might not want to... ~~~~~~~ -KeembearLEE "We could make sweet seedless grapes." http://get.to/crushme ~~~~~~~ New York City never had equality. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37FBF5B8.FA79C48F@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 21:22:00 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: show prices Keem Bearlee wrote: > Compared to other live shows that I go to, TMBG tickets are pretty > expensive. Any idea why? The DC shows are $20. I'd fork out that amount > easily, but my friends who I may want to take might not want to... because the people who run the clubs know what TMBG fans are like, I think. They know we'll go regardless of the price, and the place will probably sell out. It's called "price gauging," and it's a horrible thing, but there isn't a whole lot we can do about it except to not give in and pay those high prices. But since we want to see TMBG, and they may only play once a year or once every two years in some cities, we're forced to see them that time if we want to see them at all. It's only a matter of time before the venues that have Fruvous shows realize the same thing about the Fruheads... (although in their case, certain members of the band might not allow the venue to overcharge us :) It's one of the many evils of capitalism, really. Same with the 21 and over venues. Just out to make more money. It's all about greed. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.1e81b2ce.252d5175@aol.com> Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:29:25 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: show prices In a message dated 10/6/99 8:24:13 PM, zaph@fruhead.com writes: >because the people who run the clubs know what TMBG fans are like, I think. > > >They know we'll go regardless of the price, and the place will probably >sell > >out. It's called "price gauging," and it's a horrible thing, but there >isn't > >a whole lot we can do about it except to not give in and pay those high > >prices. > > i don't recall any tmbg shows i've seen being suspiciously expensive... certainly no more than any other concert tickets... but ben folds five have been. i saw them this summer, it was labeled as a benefit show. okay for that. but they're playing here this weekend at the same $20 or $25 price. i can't afford that, so i'm not going. sarah ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:50:40 -0700 Subject: TMBG: My Evil Twin Message-ID: <19991006.195042.-276411.0.Garrett27@juno.com> Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew which John wrote/sang "My Evil Twin". Are there any good 'who did what' lists posted anywhere? Thanks, Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:05:56 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: My Evil Twin Message-ID: <19991006.200558.-276411.1.Garrett27@juno.com> Er, I know who sang it, I just need to know who wrote it. Sorry for the short post. But for all ya know, it could prevent one hundred irrelevant replies that might bug you later. Thank ye once again, Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37FC0DC6.7265098D@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 23:04:38 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: My Evil Twin garrett27@juno.com wrote: > > Hey everyone, > I was just wondering if anyone knew which John wrote/sang "My Evil > Twin". Are there any good 'who did what' lists posted anywhere? I'm pretty sure it's a Flansburgh song, but it could very well be another of the Linnell songs that Flansburgh sings. Although the lyrical structure fits Flansburgh's style much better. There's a Who Sings What list somewhere on tmbg.org, but I don't know if there's a corresponding list for Who Wrote What. For the most part, the lead singer and the writer are the same. There are a few exceptions (Subliminal, Cowtown, The World's Address, and Rat Patrol are the only ones that come to mind at the moment) And a bunch of the earlier stuff was a collaborative effort between the two Johns, like Puppet Head, where Linnell wrote the refrain (all 7 words of it) and the music, and asked Flansburgh to flesh it out as a song. NyQuil Driver was written by Flansburgh, along with Brian Doherty and Tony Maimone, and Linnell might have had some say in it, but it's pretty much Flansburgh's song. That's all I can come up with at the moment. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991007032148.1153.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: My Evil Twin Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 20:21:48 PDT lawrence solomon wrote: >There's a Who Sings What list somewhere on tmbg.org, but I don't know if >there's a corresponding list for Who Wrote What. For the most part, the >lead >singer and the writer are the same. There are a few exceptions >(Subliminal, >Cowtown, The World's Address, and Rat Patrol are the only ones that come to >mind at the moment) > >And a bunch of the earlier stuff was a collaborative effort between the two >Johns, like Puppet Head, where Linnell wrote the refrain (all 7 words of >it) >and the music, and asked Flansburgh to flesh it out as a song. Subliminal was also a collaboration. I think Flansburgh wrote the words, and Linnell wrote the music. Or else it was the other way 'round. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000901bf1084$505f17c0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Broadcast Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 22:25:04 -0700 The webcast from house of blues tomorrow costs $4.99! I mean it will be cool and all and i can record it on to video but i was hoping it'd be free! -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-7 *****************************