Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 9 Saturday, 9 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Loveline Semi-TMBG: State Songs TMBG: TMBG's new record deal Re: TMBG: TMBG's new record deal, etc. TMBG: Re: TMBG's new record deal Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-8 TMBG: New cover available TMBG: Factory Showroom -- Three years ago to the day Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither TMBG: Old Jokes Re: TMBG: Old Jokes Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither re: non-TMBG: off-topic blatherbliter Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <003901bf115b$84519b20$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Loveline Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 00:05:33 -0700 So was tmbg on loveline tonight? I forgot. Was it a repeat. Does anyone have it on tape so that i can get it? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 00:25:14 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Semi-TMBG: State Songs Message-ID: > uhm... i'm listening to the radio, and the dj that's on is playing state > songs.. (!?!?!$%%^&*) well, he just played illinois, and said he'd be > playing more in a bit. This got me thinking. (I'm done with the GRE, I can start concentrating on things besides vocab now.) JL only has 15 of the 50 states represented. (16 if you count "Maryland", but it seems to have gotten cut, for some reason. :( ) Can anyone think of songs for the other 35? I've got: Nebraska-- "Nebraska", by the Nields California-- "California Dreamin'", by The Mamas And The Papas (there has GOT to be a better choice than this) Virginia-- "The Old Dominion", by Eddie From Ohio Georgia-- "Devil Went Down To Georgia" I'd mention "Iowa" by Dar Williams and "Michigan Militia" by Moxy Fruvous, but John seems to have covered those bases. And I also must mention the song "North Dakotachrome" by the (sadly) defunct Davis group Lawsuit, which contains about 40 names of states, Canadian provinces, and the occasional city, all punned into the lyrics. --nicole twn *** "I didn't write the words you hear me singing. I didn't sing the line before this one."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.2611246.252f48b0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:16:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG's new record deal Hi everyone, I searched for "They Might Be Giants" under "Rounder artist tours" at the www.rounder.com website, and came up with all the remaining dates that are listed on TMBG's current tour...looks like it's true that the band has signed their new record deal with Rounder. The label is out of Cambridge, MA -- not far from the Johns' hometown of Lincoln, MA. Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:23:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's new record deal, etc. Message-ID: Sorta off-topic, but I found this amusing. I convinced my father to buy his first cd last night, "Irish Flutes and Whistles." He wanted to listen to it in the car, so I found a tape to copy it onto. It was John Henry... I felt guilty copying over it, until I saw that "Irish Flutes and Whistles" is on Rounder Records. There was something oddly cosmic about it. :) Now I just need another blank tape so I can listen to John Henry in MY car. ;) Is anyone going to the Cincinnati show on Tuesday? Colleen Anne On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I searched for "They Might Be Giants" under "Rounder artist tours" at the > www.rounder.com website, and came up with all the remaining dates that are > listed on TMBG's current tour...looks like it's true that the band has signed > their new record deal with Rounder. The label is out of Cambridge, MA -- not > far from the Johns' hometown of Lincoln, MA. > > Karen :-) > MuseKJ@aol.com > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:31:41 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37FE004C.CFF63AFE@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG's new record deal no i think tmbg are only signed to rounder for the childern's album, i think they are going with another label for their next regular rock release peter MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I searched for "They Might Be Giants" under "Rounder artist tours" at the > www.rounder.com website, and came up with all the remaining dates that are > listed on TMBG's current tour...looks like it's true that the band has signed > their new record deal with Rounder. The label is out of Cambridge, MA -- not > far from the Johns' hometown of Lincoln, MA. > > Karen :-) > MuseKJ@aol.com -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: <0.15ded513.252f613b@aol.com> Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:01:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither <> Since there's obviously no one who's done it here to respond, I'll try to sum up their mindsets. Basically, they're tired of the stupid fights about being on/off topic (none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness), 2 for 1 blank trading (none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness), and why all TMBG's new stuff sucks (none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness). They'd rather be able to talk to a bunch of people they know, enjoy talking to, and share interests with. We usually get the same TMBG news as you do at about the same time, if not earlier, on the offtopic list. If you haven't checked out the offtopic list, I'm sure you'd love it. Sam ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 11:13:10 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37FE0A06.807A86B2@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither where is the off-topic list??? Samman85@aol.com wrote: > < "off-topic" list?>> > > Since there's obviously no one who's done it here to respond, I'll try to sum > up their mindsets. > > Basically, they're tired of the stupid fights about being on/off topic (none > of which have popped up recently, thank goodness), 2 for 1 blank trading > (none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness), and why all TMBG's > new stuff sucks (none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness). > > They'd rather be able to talk to a bunch of people they know, enjoy talking > to, and share interests with. We usually get the same TMBG news as you do at > about the same time, if not earlier, on the offtopic list. > > If you haven't checked out the offtopic list, I'm sure you'd love it. > > Sam -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 11:26:58 -0400 From: Heather Aston Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #22-8 Message-id: <37FE0D42.EA45C454@drew.edu> Organization: Drew University > > Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:10:34 -0700 (PDT) > From: Nicole Carlson > Subject: TMBG: show prices > Message-ID: > > On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > It's one of the many evils of capitalism, really. Same with the 21 and over > > venues. Just out to make more money. It's all about greed. > > They may indeed be out to gouge the world, but methinks there's probably > other factors at play here. What if TMBG's fee is large? One of the > appendices in the Fruvous FAQ [1] is a detailed and lucid explanation of > ticket prices, and greed by the venue owners figures but indirectly. > According to said appendix, most bands are paid a set fee (called a > guarantee) plus a set percentage of ticket prices over and above that. If > TMBG ask for a large fee, the venue owner has no choice but to raise > ticket prices. This sucks for us, true, but both TMBG and the venue > owners need to eat and pay rent and buy the new Fruvous CD. > As it happens, TMBG are easily the most expensive band I see regularly, Are they expensive? Just a few weeks ago, I was moaning about paying nearly $30 to see Chris Cornell. And I thought about how "cheap" TMBG were by comparison. Actually, all the shows I've seen in the past year have been about $15-$20. I thought that was just how much most shows cost. For the CC show I had second row center seats, so I figured it was worth $30. He's playing again at the Beacon Theatre next month, but I'm not going. The best available seats were in the loge. He has a great voice, but I'm not paying $30 to sit in the back. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19991009020506.0079e650@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 02:05:06 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: New cover available Alert: TMBG fans in Australia or those who enjoy hunting down import singles. BODYJAR's new single "A Hazy Shade Of Winter" includes a live punk cover of "Your Racist Friend" to complement the studio version included on their 1997 "Strange Harvest" EP. It seems to be available in most music stores for $4.95 (silver/grey cover). -Ryan P.S. Anyone notice the error in the tmbg.org discography regarding this? It thinks "Strange Harvest" was released by a band called "Strange Harvest". * ------------------------------------------------------------ Last concert seen: GERLING / SPIDERBAIT 20/08/99 Canberra Last CD purchased: GERLING - Enter Spacecapsule Remix Single ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:32:06 -0400 From: "Joe Teagno" Message-ID: <7tl9r2$1e72$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Rochester Institute of Technology Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom -- Three years ago to the day Hey, guys. For what it's worth, Factory Showroom was released exactly three years ago today on October 8, 1996. I'm looking back on it now, and I can still remember going to the store immediately after school to buy it. Think about all the other TMBG-related things that have come out since then in this relatively short three year period! In the past three years, I've bought Factory Showroom, S-E-X-X-Y, Then, Severe Tire Damage, Long Tall Weekend, Unsupervised, The Devil when down to Newport, It's Fun To Steal, and some of the Hello CDs. (I know that a few of these were actually released *more* than three years ago.) But my point is this-- when you think about it, we, as TMBG fans, are really lucky. A whole flood (no pun intended) of albums have poured out quickly, with more on the way (State Songs comes to mind.) We're really lucky! Joe http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991008175810.49490.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:58:10 PDT Sam wrote: >Basically, they're tired of the stupid fights about being on/off topic >(none >of which have popped up recently, thank goodness), 2 for 1 blank trading >(none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness), and why all TMBG's >new stuff sucks (none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness). Hey, quit being so off-topic! You should be discussing TMBG-related things, like why everything They've done recently sucks! If you want any of this sucky stuff, I'll do a 2:1 trade with you. And what should I put on this Christmas mix tape I'm making? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991008180127.80247.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Old Jokes Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 11:01:27 PDT I'm not sure why I'm bringing this up now, because I don't think any of these jokes have been referenced in a while. Occasionally, though, I see a reference to some thread that occurred before my time, and I've finally decided to knuckle down and ask the list. So I ask all of you old-time list members: How did the title "Matt's Life Savings" originate? And what does lactose intolerance have to do with anything? I want answers, people! -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:12:44 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Old Jokes Message-ID: <19991008.142033.-48146501.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > So I ask all of you > old-time list > members: at least he didn't bring up the AKA's. take it easy, JOrdaN - who didn't forget careless santa! http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use -- Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web! Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:12:46 -0400 Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs Message-ID: <19991008.152338.-472755.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: Capn eriKa rae Nicole the Wonder Twin: >JL only has 15 of the 50 states >represented. (16 if you count "Maryland", but it seems to have gotten cut, >for some reason. :( ) Can anyone think of songs for the other 35? Hm. Well, Built to Spill has a song called "Twin Falls", which is a town in Idaho. That's all I can think of offhand. >California-- "California Dreamin'", by The Mamas And The Papas (there has >GOT to be a better choice than this) Pavement's "Unfair" is about Southern California. ever-sincere, eriKa, what's Barbie's next sister going to be? a fetus? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:17:27 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither Message-ID: <19991008.152338.-472755.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: Capn eriKa rae Sam Ryan: >Since there's obviously no one who's done it here to respond, I'll try to sum >up their mindsets. Well, Karen did, and I tried to, but it didn't go through for some reason. Let's see if this one does! ^_^ >Basically, they're tired of the stupid fights about being on/off topic (none >of which have popped up recently, thank goodness), 2 for 1 blank trading >(none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness), and why all TMBG's >new stuff sucks (none of which have popped up recently, thank goodness). That about sums it up. That, and I hate TMBG. God, They suck so bad! Peter Ohlert: >where is the off-topic list??? It runs under Onelist.com. >And what should I put on this >Christmas mix tape I'm making? What about Careless Santa? ever-sincere, eriKa, except Mono Puff sucks too! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:04:21 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: re: non-TMBG: off-topic blatherbliter Message-ID: On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Capn eriKa rae wrote: > > >And what should I put on this > >Christmas mix tape I'm making? > > What about Careless Santa? Dont make a mix tape at all! Music sucks. And so do you! And so do I! And so does the English languae. iLos Johns chupan! --Jamal ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991008213446.92703.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 14:34:45 PDT And a damn good song it is! I don't like Ben Folds Five's cover as much as the original though. It's sleepy......... Also there's a movie called Twin Falls Idaho about... twin brothers... I think they are the Fall brothers. I wanted to see it, but didn't. -Kimberly Happy birthday Sean Lennon! ----Original Message Follows---- From: Capn eriKa rae Reply-To: Capn eriKa rae To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:12:46 -0400 Nicole the Wonder Twin: >JL only has 15 of the 50 states >represented. (16 if you count "Maryland", but it seems to have gotten cut, >for some reason. :( ) Can anyone think of songs for the other 35? Hm. Well, Built to Spill has a song called "Twin Falls", which is a town in Idaho. That's all I can think of offhand. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37FE64D1.C4B791B6@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 17:40:33 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: off-topic blatherblither Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Hey, quit being so off-topic! You should be discussing TMBG-related things, > like why everything They've done recently sucks! If you want any of this > sucky stuff, I'll do a 2:1 trade with you. And what should I put on this > Christmas mix tape I'm making? Do I need to post my "Careless Santa" story again? Oh, did I say "Careless Santa?" I meant "AKA Santa." Sorry. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-9 *****************************