Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 10 Wednesday, 10 November 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Bowery boxscore TMBG: Re: Another head for Rochester Fru Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Re: TMBG: Vote Damn You VOTE!!!!! TMBG: Have you linked to my website? (TDK's TMBG page) Please email me! Re: TMBG: Linnell article... TMBG: New Newsletter! TMBG: they might be famous Re: TMBG: they might be famous Re: TMBG: they might be famous sortaTMBG: they might be on letterman Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c1a7e34c.2559a2c3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:16:03 EST Subject: TMBG: Bowery boxscore Well, for everyone who wants to know how awesome TMBG is, think of this, from Oct 20-23, they performed 59 different songs! Here is the breakdown of what they performed... They Might Be Giants Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head Number Three Don't Let's Start Hide Away Folk Family 32 Footsteps Toddler Highway Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes (She Was A) Hotel Detective She's An Angel Chess Piece Face Hope That I Get Old Before I Die Lincoln Ana Ng Cowtown Purple Toupee Cage & Aquarium Where Your Eyes Don't Go Pencil Rain Shoehorn With Teeth Misc. T We're The Replacements The Famous Polka Mr. Klaw Hello Radio I'll Sink Manhattan Flood Birdhouse In Your Soul Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Your Racist Friend Particle Man Twisting Letterbox Whistling In The Dark Apollo 18 She's Actual Size Spider The Guitar Narrow Your Eyes Turn Around John Henry Spy No One Knows My Plan Factory Showroom S-E-X-X-Y New York City Spiraling Shape James K. Polk Pet Name Severe Tire Damage Dr. Worm Why Does The Sun Shine? Long Tall Weekend Drinkin' She Thinks She's Edith Head Maybe I Know Rat Patrol Older Operators Are Standing Reprehensible Certain People I Could Name They Got Lost Unreliable Narrator Cyclops Rock It's So Loud In Here Thunderbird Finished With Lies On the Drag Other Stuff Dr. Evil Radio They Might Be Giants I'm so happy I was there all 4 nights. Hope you were too. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:32:49 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38285AC1.63D0514A@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Another head for Rochester Fru I think thay were talking about Moxy Fruvous show in Rochester. "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A nanotech wrote: > > Hello I live in Syracuse New York...There is a They Might be Giants concert > in Rochester NY again? When did this happen? Where? I didnt hear the news. > Where is it at and when? Damn im excitied now! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19991109132959.009d89e0@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 13:30:22 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell article... that didn't work... try this. http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=388507455/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/dis cography.html/ArtistID=LINNELL*JOHN/docid=165561/select=news At 12:31 AM 11/9/99 -0500, jbparke@juno.com wrote: >Here's an article i found where JL discusses his future plans for his >State >Songs project: > >http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/redirect/leaf=allstararticle/fid=155 >646 > > >That's it... > >v^v Jeffro v^v ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001d01bf2aea$49277620$0c9da2d1@cannon> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:40:25 -0800 Man that article got me excited! All these projects they've got to work on! This is sweet! They are getting tons of attention! and the prospect of 2 or 3 more state songs is just great! But it rose a question in my head that i had been wondering for a bit. How would all you fans feel about TMBG becoming mainstream? or atleast not 'backstreetnsyncagularaspears' mainstream but say...Elvis Costello or Sting or....well them just becoming a house name band. Do we all want that? or do we like having this little secret for people to slowly discover and share it with us without TMBG showing up on TRL and all the screaming girls are yelling for John & John like manic beatles fans..... im not sure i'd like that...thoughts anyone? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1F7756518B80D311B08D00805FE603A814725B@groexmbcr02.pfizer.com> From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:05:48 -0500 They are already screaming like Beatles fans. I have been listening to the recordings from the 4 nights at the Bowery and there is one girl in particular that screams like an idiot all four nights. I almost ruins the sound of the show. I think it would be great for them to get bigger. It will mean more money for them to develop bigger projects for us to enjoy. Lee Steel ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:22:51 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Message-ID: <19991109.152252.-149361.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> i've thought about it - i don't care, i'd be happy if they got their due recognition (again)... so long as i get my OMLT and can wear it to their stadium tour. "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.1c88e7e8.2559dd9e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:27:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell article... In a message dated 11/9/99 3:07:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, w_lee_steel@groton.pfizer.com writes: << They are already screaming like Beatles fans. I have been listening to the recordings from the 4 nights at the Bowery and there is one girl in particular that screams like an idiot all four nights. I almost ruins the sound of the show. I think it would be great for them to get bigger. It will mean more money for them to develop bigger projects for us to enjoy. Lee Steel >> Did anyone else see the girl who was being continually hoisted up into the air by her male companion during the "Horn Attack" Bowery show (show # 3)? She was crying and going a bit nutsy over Mr. Linnell...I looked at Lin's reaction to this from where I sat in the balcony, and he just seemed really annoyed. I don't think he understands why people would get so worked up over him. Remember his letter to the New York Times, after he found himself on that People Poll for "Most Beautiful People?" Karen (MuseKJ) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991109203716.49933.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: Re: TMBG: Vote Damn You VOTE!!!!! Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 15:37:16 EST Hey buddy, your link doesn't work. http://www.freevote.com/booth/ltime So what's gonna happen to Chess Piece Face? -Ian Power ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004201bf2af5$c40e7860$a143c7d0@thedemonickangaroo> From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Have you linked to my website? (TDK's TMBG page) Please email me! Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:02:42 -0500 Hey, I'm putting a call out to anyone who has a link on their page to mine. I am finally going to update my own links, and I know there are some people out there with links to my site that I don't even know about. So please email me if you're already on my page or not at TDK@TMBG.ORG with "request link" in the title and your url in the body. I will add you to my new links page. Also email me if you don't have a link to my page but you'd like to add one. Thanks! -Mike http://i.am/teedeekay http://listen.to/tmbg ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001101bf2afa$02a93f20$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell article... Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:33:06 -0700 > Remember his letter to the New York Times, after he found himself on > that People Poll for "Most Beautiful People?" Nope. Where's that at? Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01bf2b02$158f3920$809da2d1@cannon> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: New Newsletter! Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:30:45 -0800 I got a new newsletter in the mail today with a kick ass cover from the Older video! its got some sweet new information! -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 17:49:24 -0500 From: ELIAS Subject: TMBG: they might be famous Message-id: <0FKY00O4BCUULD@oberlin.edu> personally, i don't see any problem with widespread TMBG recognition-- provided They don't bend or sell out to the masses, which They have not done in lots of years, so i don't think They would now. They probably could have become fairly popular with a "flood 2" or some other repetition of that formula back in the early 90s. rather than molding Themselves, trying to make Themselves famous by making music that the public wants, They've instead waited for the general public to come around to Them. doesn't seem like a bad thing to me now that it might finally be happening. "about time" says i. of course, they should reserve the best seats in the stadiums, at a drastically reduced prices, for those of us who were fans before the "TMBG world tour 2001 (with opening act the rolling stones)" ELIAS emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo "i used to think that the human brain was the most fascinating part of the body, but then i thought... look what's telling me this!!!" -emo phillips emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991110040943.50671.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: they might be famous Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 20:09:43 PST ELIAS wrote: >personally, i don't see any problem with widespread TMBG recognition-- >provided They don't bend or sell out to the masses, which They have not >done >in lots of years, so i don't think They would now. They probably could >have >become fairly popular with a "flood 2" or some other repetition of that >formula back in the early 90s. WHAT formula? While Flood might be a bit more accessible than Their other albums, I didn't hear signs of any formula for popularity used in its making. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 23:36:38 -0500 From: ELIAS Subject: Re: TMBG: they might be famous Message-id: <0FKY00H7FSXLS2@oberlin.edu> >WHAT formula? While Flood might be a bit more accessible than Their other >albums, I didn't hear signs of any formula for popularity used in its >making. no no no, that was a mis-wording on my part. not that there WAS a formula, but that They could have MADE a formula out of it. flood had several -popular- songs (istanbul, particle man, birdhouse, etc) and if They had wanted to sell out-- to achieve mass success-- i imagine They could have stuck pretty close to what was popular on flood to try and ride that wave farther. for instance, i can't claim firsthand knowledge, but i am sure the second albums after hitting it big for people like the spice girls and backstreet boys were VERY similar to their first big hits. they gave the public what the public wanted. such a moment of truth (as was seen after flood, to a lesser degree) is coming for the barenaked ladies when they release their next album, the first after the stunt/"one week" success. what i meant to say is that instead of the wonderful apollo 18, TMBG could have tried to make an album using what was (popularly) successful on flood, but thankfully did not. "introducing they might be giants' fourth album-- 'tidal wave'! featuring the hits 'once rome, always rome' and 'molecule family'" ELIAS emoemoemo "oh yes, i've tried my hand at sex..." -emo philips emoemoemo ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <0.289b3412.255a53f9@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:52:09 EST Subject: sortaTMBG: they might be on letterman No, not TMBG... but I'm sure that's who Dave was thinking of when he said "They Might Be Bikers... now there's a band... we've had them on before, right Paul?" and Paul said "Oh yes, they Might Be Bikers, many times..." so I paraphrase a bit. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.871bb629.255a6d61@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 01:40:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell article... In a message dated 11/9/99 4:35:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, refund@nmt.edu writes: << > Remember his letter to the New York Times, after he found himself on > that People Poll for "Most Beautiful People?" Nope. Where's that at? >> Go to www.tmbg.org, and under "cool stuff," click on "John Linnell." There, you will find the above-mentioned article. Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-10 ******************************