Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 17 Wednesday, 17 November 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: FREE!!! New Live State Songs mp3's!!! TMBG: Greatist hits (formally "what the--??") TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel TMBG: bootlegs etc... Re: TMBG: bootlegs etc... Re: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel TMBG: That "what the?" thread, or whatever... Re: TMBG: That "what the?" thread, or whatever... TMBG: Re: New state songs TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #23-16 Re: TMBG: Re: 11/13 and 11/14 shows Re: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel TMBG: Bootlegs tapes Re: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel TMBG: Need help with some past TMBG concert information Re: TMBG: Need help with some past TMBG concert information Re: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel TMBG: More Linnell stuff... Re: TMBG: Re: 11/13 and 11/14 shows Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199911160815.DAA16155@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000501bf300a$ecc80180$a99da2d1@cannon> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: FREE!!! New Live State Songs mp3's!!! Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:16:37 -0800 According to the review of the show two of those are covers and the alaska one is called 'North to Alaska'. it didnt say anything about 'Nebraska' being a cover or not though. Thanks for the mp3's! -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01bf300c$513c2460$a99da2d1@cannon> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Greatist hits (formally "what the--??") Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:26:37 -0800 For anyone to release any sort of greatist hits album seems to me like somewhat of a long shot given that most the hardcore fans wouldnt want to buy it unless it had something new or uinique like a demo version never before heard-- but even that is doubtfull and not enough to make me want to buy it. The "Live" one would have to have something different then 'STD' obviously cause that would just be a copy, but then you'd have to wonder what would be on there? most there biggest hits are already live on STD. I also wondered if perhaps John and John dont even know about this and that its out of there control. I guess we'll see. -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01bf300f$b2dc7be0$a99da2d1@cannon> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:50:34 -0800 Hmmm.... I just heard on Conan O'Brien tonight in his monolouge he said that "Disney has cancelled their plans for a peter pan sequel" which we all know has several newly created tmbg songs, incedently it was a rerun of the Mike Viola and the Candy Butchers episode. But anyway that sucks that its cancelled! I wonder what will come of the songs? would they work for an album or will the be scrapped? -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991116011551.007f3760@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 01:15:51 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: bootlegs etc... >From: Adrienne Spruill > >Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd feel incredibly guilty if I were to >sneak a tape recorder into a TMBG concert. That's ripping them off. I >want the Johns to have some of my money. Besides, the whole idea behind >a live show is that it's LIVE. Once you've recorded it, you've lost it, >no matter what your reasoning is. So there is my opinion. Have a great >day. :o) > >If I don't go to a concert, I don't pay $25. ($25 that goes towards the >band) But if I get a bootleg, then I DID get to hear the concert >without paying the $25 that goes towards the band...following me? You are completely contradicting yourself here. First of all, you're trying to say that a bootleg is no replacement for the real thing, the actual live experience. But then you turn around and say that getting ahold of a bootleg will somehow convince you to not go to the live show. That makes absolutely no sense. I think for whatever reason you're just completely against bootlegs and are grasping as straws. Also, it seems that you are assuming that each concert is going to be more or less the same experience, while many on this list who have been to a ridiculous amount of TMBG and related shows could certainly claim otherwise. Anyway, I'd like to chime in and agree with others in that the only way bootlegs are _detrimental_ to a band's welfare and music as a whole is when they are: A) sold for a profit of any kind B) are a literal replacement for the recorded, released, and currently in-print material that a band has out there (i.e. mp3s or cd-rs of albums) Kerry ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:27:44 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs etc... Message-ID: <19991116.084243.-288907.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > B) are a literal replacement for the recorded, released, and > currently > in-print material that a band has out there (i.e. mp3s or cd-rs of > albums) hehee, i have an idea, let's talk about the FS sessions! ooh ooh and while we're at it, why don't we bring up some AKAs! that'd be great fun! :) "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.3a8c98dd.2562bddb@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:02:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel In a message dated 11/16/99 3:53:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, cannon10@wa.freei.net writes: << Hmmm.... I just heard on Conan O'Brien tonight in his monolouge he said that "Disney has cancelled their plans for a peter pan sequel" which we all know has several newly created tmbg songs, incedently it was a rerun of the Mike Viola and the Candy Butchers episode. But anyway that sucks that its cancelled! I wonder what will come of the songs? would they work for an album or will the be scrapped? -=eRiCh=- >> Well, the last I heard (and I tried to find an update on this news, but couldn't find anything very recent), Disney was sending the Peter Pan sequel back for retooling, to be released sometime next year. So the video hasn't been canceled yet, as far as I know. Karen :-) MuseKJ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001c01bf303c$9ac165c0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: That "what the?" thread, or whatever... Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 07:12:24 -0700 Well, in my quest to own as much as possible, I ordered both of those new things - hell, they're only $6.50 a piece...and I ordered State Songs, and the Montana single (which is now backordered of course). CDNow had an advertisement for a 10 dollar coupon if you order 24.99 or more. I exceeded the limit....an didn't get the coupon. Ah well. I'll tell you all what they're like when I get them, ok? Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my web page... www.geocities.com/Paris/Shoppe/3169/ Go to the "Murdered Songs" section to read my newest parody - 'My Second Wife', the altered form of 'Larger Than Life', by the Backstreet Boys. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b5d29c0b.2562c36f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:25:51 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: That "what the?" thread, or whatever... In a message dated 11/16/99 9:15:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, refund@nmt.edu writes: << Well, in my quest to own as much as possible, I ordered both of those new things - hell, they're only $6.50 a piece...and I ordered State Songs, and the Montana single (which is now backordered of course). >> The Montana single hasn't been released yet, but some online stores say "backordered" if it is delayed for any reason...on my order with amazon.com, they said Montana was backordered at first, but then a few days later they changed it to "not yet released by publisher." Karen :-) MuseKJ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:41:36 -0500 (est) From: Fred Boak Subject: TMBG: Re: New state songs Message-Id: Organization: WordStock Sorry if this has already been mentioned/discussed (I checked a few archived digests, didn't spot anything) ... I just checked out the lyrics for "Alaska", "Nebraska", and "Ohio" ... "Alaska" is definitely the Johnny Horton classic "North to Alaska" (there are many covers of this, including one by one-time TMBG supporting act NRBQ, on their album "Kick Me Hard: The Deluxe Edition"); "Ohio" is also a cover, of the Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young hit (at least the chorus of it). And, if I'm not mistaken, "Nebraska" is the title song of the Bruce Springsteen album. Yipes ... no Boston show for the State Songs tour?!?! Damn! ;-) - Fred. Not the oldest nor youngest on the list, but skewing it older at the ripe age of 37 ... ;-) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199911161625.JAA05838@gos.oz.cc.utah.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:07:00 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #23-16 From: "Scot Westwood" Just for the record I bought my import copy of John Henry from cdnow in late 1997. They did have it ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:04:51 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38318EB3.68A8B28D@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: 11/13 and 11/14 shows That Christine chick is always thinking. I like her. :o) "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A Christine Sinacore wrote: > > I have a suggestion to stop all of this... > > Why don't all of the people selling bootlegs only sell > them AT the concerts. The bootleggers would get paid. > They Might Be Giants would get paid. And the buyers > would have a handy CD to take home with them. > That way we can all be happy. Me. You. They Might Be > Giants. Oh...that is so beautiful. I need a tissue... > > Christine > > PS Iowa IS a witch. > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991116171624.35887.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:16:24 PST eriCh wrote: >Hmmm.... I just heard on Conan O'Brien tonight in his monolouge he said >that >"Disney has cancelled their plans for a peter pan sequel" which we all know >has several newly created tmbg songs Wasn't it just the one song? "Now That You're One Of Us," or whatever? Anyway, I'd rather TMBG release the song Themselves, rather than making us sit through some Disney direct-to-video crap in order for us to hear it. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0F4FE960EF7BD211B27B00104B95BF0B1FD637@TDSCSERVER03> From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Bootlegs tapes Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:20:30 -0500 I personally am not against taping concerts then *trading* the tapes, but it's people like this guy on ebay that ruin it for us. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201518281 write to the guy or to ebay ( safeharbor@ebay.com) Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d49d4e4e.2562f268@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:46:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel In a message dated 11/16/99 12:22:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << eriCh wrote: >Hmmm.... I just heard on Conan O'Brien tonight in his monolouge he said >that >"Disney has cancelled their plans for a peter pan sequel" which we all know >has several newly created tmbg songs Wasn't it just the one song? "Now That You're One Of Us," or whatever? Anyway, I'd rather TMBG release the song Themselves, rather than making us sit through some Disney direct-to-video crap in order for us to hear it. >> From the last I've heard on this, there were three TMBG songs on it. Karen :-) MuseKJ ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.743dbe2f.256304fa@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:05:30 EST Subject: TMBG: Need help with some past TMBG concert information Hi everyone: I was wondering if any of you out there knew who opened for TMBG, or who TMBG opened for, at any or all of the following shows? I need the information for a TMBG-related web project that I'm doing. You can e-mail me personally with the info at MuseKJ@aol.com: 1/18/99 The Garage in London, England 1/23/99 The Garage in London, England 1/29/99 Otterbein College, Westerville, OH 4/18/99 Bogart's in Cincinnati, OH 4/21/99 Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, IN 4/22/99 Milliken University in Decatur, IL 4/27/99 Missouri Southern College in Joplin, MO 5/1/99 Wheaton College in Norton, MA: I've heard there were four openers for this one, but which four, I don't know. 7/15/99 The Aggie in Fort Collins, CO 7/16/99 The Lo Do Festival in Denver, CO ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:31:59 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Need help with some past TMBG concert information Message-ID: <19991116.173159.-302367.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > 7/15/99 The Aggie in Fort Collins, CO the best local band to come out of colorado in a long time - except that they haven't made it out of colorado yet. Their name is MindGoFlip and anyone that was at the show will tell you just how amazing they are. you can check out their site www.mindgoflip.com i'm not sure if there are sound clips or not but you can buy an album for like $8 or $10 and i guarantee you - you will not be dissapointed!!! > 7/16/99 The Lo Do Festival in Denver, CO this is a music festival there were like 30 bands in the 2 days of the festival. i can say that the night after the violent femmes were the headliners and that was totally awesome. When i go back to denver in the middle of december i can check all my "concert souvenirs" where my flyers and other newspaper articles relating to this show are and list some more of the bands that played. can i ask why you're interested? "take it easy, JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <0.71e5f0df.25635c01@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:16:49 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Peter Pan Sequel Hey, Peter Pan was one of the few good Disney movies... at least i think so... Peter Pan rocks, I had a crush on him when I was little..well I likes Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates better though.... -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: jbparke@juno.com Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:07:21 -0500 Subject: TMBG: More Linnell stuff... Message-ID: <19991116.203820.-1241901.0.jbparke@juno.com> Here's another JL article i found on CDNOW... enjoy! www.cdnow.com/cqi-bin/mserver/SID=442434946/pagename=/RP/ALLSTAR/article. html/fid=156229 That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v ------------------------------ From: MDG611@aol.com Message-ID: <0.56c4ca28.25637fb1@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:49:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: 11/13 and 11/14 shows In a message dated 11/15/99 5:31:29 PM, spruilla@epix.net writes: << Once you've recorded it, you've lost it, no matter what your reasoning is. >> To me, the person sneaking recorders and such into shows sounded a wee bit unsavory, but to say there's no acceptable reasoning for wanting a recording is too broad a generalization. I traded for a recording of a show I went to in Chicago (I'm from St. Louis) because it holds great sentimental value for many reasons, one of which is it was the first time seeing them live even though I've been a fan since "Flood" was released. The really fabulous thing is you can hear us hollering like a couple of dolts, "John and John for President!!" among other things. It was truly a memorable experience, and I felt no remorse in trading because we are unflagging fans seeking no profit. My 2 Cents, Melissa ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-17 ******************************