Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 30 Tuesday, 30 November 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs TMBG: L.A. State Songs Show TMBG: Why eBay Can Bite Me... TMBG: Sick of This American Life TMBG: TMBG Trading Cards are Now REAL!!! TMBG: Why eBay Can Bite Me... -Reply Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Re: TMBG: Why eBay Can Bite Me... Re: TMBG: DLS on Top 100!!! TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs Re: TMBG: DLS on Top 100!!! TMBG: Better TMBG Shoutcast station TMBG: Re: Better TMBG Shoutcast station TMBG: Where oh Where? TMBG: Montana & two unknowns Re: TMBG: Garcon Re: TMBG: Montana & two unknowns TMBG: Pennsylvania Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Re: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <384241EC.632FFF23@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:05:50 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs Adrienne Spruill >Oh! The other day I was listning to PA and just to be dumb I satred >singing "Pennsylvania" over and over with the song and I noticed that it >fet perfectly. I thought I was so smart but my the friend that I was >with just called me crazy. I'm glad that someone else picked up on this >whole thing. Ummm... couldn't you do that with any word? Wouldn't "California" fit just as well? I suppose you mean one syllable per note but it seems to me you'd have to stretch some syllables across two notes to get it to fit. I really don't get it. Doesn't the word "Pennsylvania" fit into *any* music? Sing the theme to Star Wars with "Pennsylvania"s. It works fine. It seems it would fit into anything from the Nutcracker Suite to Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good" -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3842495B.C8C469DA@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:37:35 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: L.A. State Songs Show I didn't get a chance to mention it earlier but the Linnell Show at the Troubadour was excellent. Linnell and company played energetically in a show for me and 15 other people. Well, it seemed like only 15 people. It was really more like 200 but still it was the smallest audience for any TMBG related gig I've ever seen. That place is as small as a closet. Which is great! Anywhere in the club is a good spot (unless tall folks are standing in front of you.) The show started very late. The tickets said 8:00 but he didn't start till around ten. At one point, a little post-grunge act called "Robot" played for us. Actually, they weren't bad if you like that kind of stuff. (Not really my thing though.) I was surprised that he did the two best State Songs "South Carolina" and "Maine" as openers (right after Sot50S). Like someone else said, he did the entire CD minus "Illinois" and "Nevada" and added three non-original compositions. My favorite of those was "Nebraska". (I'm not a Springsteen fan but "Nebraska" is NOT his only good song!) I was suprised how many cameras were flashing throughout the show from all over the club. (At least ONE of you must have some of those pics up on a web page, right?) John talked about the "Montana" single and I was under the impression it was being sold there but it wasn't. (And yet...I could have sworn I saw a kid walking around with one.) Did "Montana" ever get released? My CDNow copy has been on backorder for forever. I guess I'll order one from the TMBG catalog. (Although, I suppose that means it will arrive in pieces like the shot glasses and mugs.) Anyway, you should have been there! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38424DBD.8828EB00@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:56:18 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Why eBay Can Bite Me... Recently I posted that, in the past, I've seen some CDR copies of LTW (and one of Flood) for auction on eBay. I wrote eBay about them and they promptly responded with gratitude and told me those auctions will be canceled. Then some one on the list told me that some sleaze was auctioning TMBG concert bootlegs. I wrote eBay about it and this time they told me to mind my own damn business. Well, actually they said: >Hello, > > >We have reviewed the auctions you have brought to our attention and >taken appropriate action. We would also like to explain eBay's policy >with respect to reports like yours. eBay is not in a position to make >judgments about the authenticity or authorized nature of auction items, >except in the most extreme circumstances. This may mean that we cannot >remove the item about which you contacted us. In some cases, we refer >the information to the owner of the rights (copyright, trademark, etc.) >involved, if we know who they are and how to contact them. Although you >may be extremely knowledgeable about these types of items, we often >cannot remove items upon the representations of third parties whose >credentials we cannot verify, unless of course the alleged infringement >is obvious on its face. That is why we strongly urge you to notify the >rights holder of the suspected infringement and encourage them to join >our Verified Rights Owners (VeRO) Program (formerly called Legal Buddy >Program). This program enables them to request the ending of allegedly >infringing auctions. Why CDR get removed and bootleg tapes don't, I'll never know. By the way, if you like the eBay logo, you may be interested in knowing that I have silk-screened it on to T-shirts which I'm putting up for auction on their site. Since they "not in a position to make judgments about the authenticity or authorized nature of auction items" they can't complain. Suck on that eBay. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <384250CD.4A24054B@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 02:09:22 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Another thing that I've been meaning to tell you guys is that a few weeks ago I was in Borders when I spotted the the "This American Life" CD. I was never sure when it was coming out. I almost forgot about it. But there it was with a sticker on it reading: "Contains a previously unreleased song by They Might Be Giants!" (or something similar). I was a little reluctant to by a whole CD for one song (although I have many time before..Rubyiat for example). I was thinking it was a song that TMBG donated to the project because they didn't think it was good enough for one of their own albums. Anyway, it turns about to be a great little song. Its short and not fast tempo but its very agreeable and it fits nicely on my latest mix tape. I never seen anyone else talk about this song since it was first mentioned as an upcoming releases several months ago. So...uh...does any one else like it? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38425650.BD580C6B@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 02:32:54 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG Trading Cards are Now REAL!!! Remember when some of you were making you own TMBG trading cards? Well, now you don't have to pretend. They are real! (Well..sort of.) Okay, I'm heavily exaggerating but listen to this: The cover of the "This American Life" CD boasts that it contains collector's cards for each track. One of them is a TMBG hidden track and yes it does have its own card. Now the bad news, these "cards" are really just art printed on the CD booklet. You would have you take scissors to it to make it into a card and still it would just be on flimsy paper. What's worse, the card doesn't illustrate the the Johns or the the song. (It doesn't even have the name of the song on it!) It just shows a big red question mark and reads something like" Bonus Mystery Track". I don't remember if it says "They Might Be Giants". It may...I can't find it at the moment. Sorry to let you all down with that exciting subject line...but technically speaking, I didn't lie. -B O N G O (My one hundredth and final post of the day. Going back into deep lurk mode now.) ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:21:17 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Why eBay Can Bite Me... -Reply Surely the pertinent phase is: "unless of course the alleged infringement is obvious on its face." If you point out that as long time, dedicated and knowledgable fan of the artists you know (and, indeed, own) ever single legal items of the artists and the item in question is 'obvious on its face' not an item authorised by the artists. You could then ask them how many other long time, dedicated and knowledgable fans they require to confirm these facts, post the details on the list and leave us to do the decent thing. Don't get mad, work the system and get even! Regards Richard >>> "ggr@pacificnet.net" 29/November/1999 09:47am >>> Recently I posted that, in the past, I've seen some CDR copies of LTW (and one of Flood) for auction on eBay. I wrote eBay about them and they promptly responded with gratitude and told me those auctions will be canceled. Then some one on the list told me that some sleaze was auctioning TMBG concert bootlegs. I wrote eBay about it and this time they told me to mind my own damn business. Well, actually they said: >Hello, > > >We have reviewed the auctions you have brought to our attention and >taken appropriate action. We would also like to explain eBay's policy >with respect to reports like yours. eBay is not in a position to make >judgments about the authenticity or authorized nature of auction items, >except in the most extreme circumstances. This may mean that we cannot >remove the item about which you contacted us. In some cases, we refer >the information to the owner of the rights (copyright, trademark, etc.) >involved, if we know who they are and how to contact them. Although you >may be extremely knowledgeable about these types of items, we often >cannot remove items upon the representations of third parties whose >credentials we cannot verify, unless of course the alleged infringement >is obvious on its face. That is why we strongly urge you to notify the >rights holder of the suspected infringement and encourage them to join >our Verified Rights Owners (VeRO) Program (formerly called Legal Buddy >Program). This program enables them to request the ending of allegedly >infringing auctions. Why CDR get removed and bootleg tapes don't, I'll never know. By the way, if you like the eBay logo, you may be interested in knowing that I have silk-screened it on to T-shirts which I'm putting up for auction on their site. Since they "not in a position to make judgments about the authenticity or authorized nature of auction items" they can't complain. Suck on that eBay. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991129161442.92355.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Buffalo Boy Flatland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:14:42 GMT Bongo wrote: >I was thinking it was a song that TMBG donated to the >project because they didn't think it was good enough for one of their own >albums. Anyway, >it turns about to be a great little song. Its short and not fast tempo but >its very >agreeable and it fits nicely on my latest mix tape. > > I never seen anyone else talk about this song since it was first >mentioned as an >upcoming releases several months ago. So...uh...does any one else like it? I actually heard it some time ago. It's pretty cool. Actually, much of it seems to be a reworking of "I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice," a song that They would occasionally play at live shows (not that that's a bad thing). Parts of "I'm Sick" were also incorporated into "Cyclops Rock," I believe. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991129165534.76478.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: Re: TMBG: Why eBay Can Bite Me... Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:55:34 EST Bongo wrote: > Recently I posted that, in the past, I've seen some CDR copies of >LTW >(and one of Flood)for auction on eBay. I wrote eBay about them >and they >promptly responded with gratitude and told me those >auctions will be >canceled. I've done the same thing. I think it's only fair to the Johns. >Then some one on the list told me that some sleaze was auctioning >TMBG >concert bootlegs. That would have been me. >I wrote eBay about it and this time they told me to mind my own damn > >business. Well, actually they said: You know, I got the same response a while back. I'm pretty sure it's a form response of some sort, but I don't know why or how they determine what's to be removed and what isn't. At first I thought they were just sick of me writing them every other day, but I guess I'm just paranoid :) > By the way, if you like the eBay logo, you may be interested >in >knowing that I have silk-screened it on to T-shirts which I'm >putting up >for auction on their site. Since they "not in a position >to make judgments >about the authenticity or authorized nature of >auction items" they can't complain. Suck on that eBay. HAHAHA!! I actually laughed out loud when I read that! My coworkers already suspected I'm nuts, and that just sealed it. :) **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3842B3B2.E08303C7@erols.com> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:11:14 -0500 From: Zydell Subject: Re: TMBG: DLS on Top 100!!! here it is: http://www.tvguide.com/tv/magazine/991129/videopoll_pop.asp It looks like I am the only one that has voted for tmbg so far... N shane88@mindless.com wrote: > Hey all, i just got the new TV Guide in which they list MTV's top 100 videos of all time. and Dont Lets Start is number 89!! it also says that you can vote online for your favs on the list, but i cant find it on either tvguide or mtv's website yet. > anyone know more about this. > i was freakin out when i read this!! > > have a nice day (you want it when?), > ~shane "linnell88" gasteyer > > ---------------------------------------------------------------- > Get your free email from AltaVista at http://altavista.iname.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:45:50 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <3842BBCE.3788DA95@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Questions and comments regarding State Songs Yeah, but the point is is that the name of the song is "Pennsylvania" and not "California." Hey, don't burst my bubble. "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A Bongo wrote: > > Adrienne Spruill > > >Oh! The other day I was listning to PA and just to be dumb I satred > >singing "Pennsylvania" over and over with the song and I noticed that it > >fet perfectly. I thought I was so smart but my the friend that I was > >with just called me crazy. I'm glad that someone else picked up on this > >whole thing. > > Ummm... couldn't you do that with any word? Wouldn't "California" fit just as well? I > suppose you mean one syllable per note but it seems to me you'd have to stretch some > syllables across two notes to get it to fit. I really don't get it. Doesn't the word > "Pennsylvania" fit into *any* music? Sing the theme to Star Wars with "Pennsylvania"s. It > works fine. It seems it would fit into anything from the Nutcracker Suite to Chuck > Mangione's "Feels So Good" > > -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:50:06 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <3842BCCE.6D7B5C96@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: DLS on Top 100!!! I voted! But I have to say, I don't think that the 1979 video by SP isn't very good. I like "Zero" much better. What were they thinking? Sorry, just me being random. :o) "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A Zydell wrote: > > here it is: > > http://www.tvguide.com/tv/magazine/991129/videopoll_pop.asp > > It looks like I am the only one that has voted for tmbg so far... > > N > > shane88@mindless.com wrote: > > > Hey all, i just got the new TV Guide in which they list MTV's top 100 videos of all time. and Dont Lets Start is number 89!! it also says that you can vote online for your favs on the list, but i cant find it on either tvguide or mtv's website yet. > > anyone know more about this. > > i was freakin out when i read this!! > > > > have a nice day (you want it when?), > > ~shane "linnell88" gasteyer > > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------- > > Get your free email from AltaVista at http://altavista.iname.com ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.6193a357.25741bba@aol.com> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:11:06 EST Subject: TMBG: Better TMBG Shoutcast station I know some of you have complained about Radio TMBG having a limited playlist. Well, I found a shoutcast station thgat is playing a different playlist, one that doesn't play completely obscure Dial-A-Song stuff half the time. The IP address is... http://216.32.166.89:10042 Just open up this site within Winamp. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:24:40 -0500 From: "Joe Teagno" Message-ID: <81unej$bpf$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Rochester Institute of Technology Subject: TMBG: Re: Better TMBG Shoutcast station wrote in message news:0.6193a357.25741bba@aol.com... > I know some of you have complained about Radio TMBG having a limited > playlist. Well, I found a shoutcast station thgat is playing a different > playlist, one that doesn't play completely obscure Dial-A-Song stuff half the > time. Hey, some of us like hearing completely obscure Dial-A-Song stuff half the time. :) Joe broom@tmbg.org http://members.xoom.com/flophousejoe/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991129224026.91384.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian Power" Subject: TMBG: Where oh Where? Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:40:26 EST Where can I find the lyrics to Thunderbird? Where can i find Interpretations for Their videos? Thanks! Awake but still in bed, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: kilper10@juno.com Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:53:22 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Montana & two unknowns Message-ID: <19991129.165411.-15965.5.Kilper10@juno.com> Hey Everybody! I have been looking through CDNOW, and apparently they have two CDs that I had no idea about. They are- Live 1999 Best Of The Early Years 1999 -both $6. What is going on? CDNOW also says that both are on backorder at shipping center A. Is Linnell's Montana single only available in a 12" vinyl record? CDNOW doesn't have a CD version. "They call me Doctor Worm." -Gary St. Louis BTW - CDNOW has been perfect with my orders. Anything backordered was just sent seperately at no extra charge. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:06:30 -0500 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <81v0gt$hfs$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Garcon > > wrote in message news:0.5104d24b.256f328a@aol.com... >> Chris Tyler wrote: >> >> >further more (south carolina) what is a Garcon? >> >> "le garcon" means "boy" in french. > >It also means waiter. So in the song, he's calling for a waiter >for another coctail. Well, some people think that it means waiter. In reality it does mean boy and most French speaking waiters will not respond to it (to call a waiter "Garcon" is to refer to him as a bus-boy). If they do respond to it, it will likely be to dump hot soup in your lap. This is not to suggest that Linnell is ignorant on the point. It seems to me that the person in the song is not too sophisticated, having gotten his money via a personal injury settlement. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:19:32 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Montana & two unknowns >I have been looking through CDNOW, and apparently they have >two CDs that I had no idea about. They are- ...cheap BMG "greatest hits" collections. There's nothing new on them, and undoubtedly the tracklisting was picked at random, and therefore is probably quite odd and possibly sucky. >Is Linnell's Montana single only available in a 12" vinyl record? Yes. Spencer. ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Message-ID: <0.897a1daf.25747547@aol.com> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:33:11 EST Subject: TMBG: Pennsylvania In a message dated 11/29/99 2:06:59 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: >Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:19:32 -0500 >From: Adrienne Spruill > >Oh! The other day I was listning to PA and just to be dumb I satred >singing "Pennsylvania" over and over with the song and I noticed that it >fet perfectly. I thought I was so smart but my the friend that I was >with just called me crazy. I'm glad that someone else picked up on this >whole thing. Also, if you spell the state name out it works too. "P-E-N-N, S-Y-L-V, A-N-I-A..." And as we know from the S-E-X-X-Y-era Modern Rock Live interview, "we like to encourage spelling." (Well, Flans said it, but still.) --Christy ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.e4c403d.2574927e@aol.com> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:37:50 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life In a message dated 11/29/99 11:22:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > I actually heard it some time ago. It's pretty cool. Actually, much of it > seems to be a reworking of "I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice," a > song that They would occasionally play at live shows (not that that's a bad > thing). Parts of "I'm Sick" were also incorporated into "Cyclops Rock," I > believe. "I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice?" ROFL!! Where do I dig up the lyrics or MP3 or whatever to THIS one? LOL!! Lydia Interested ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.ae186e52.2574a307@aol.com> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:48:23 EST Subject: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) It's official. If you look on MTV's Web site and TV Guide's Website, you'll find that They Might Be Giants' Don't Let Start was voted the #87 video of all time. TV Guide Editors and MTV execs and producers were the voters, giving us what i think is a very deserving list. They were judged on creativity and innovation, longevity, performance, music, and cultural impact. MTV will be doing a Mon. - Sat. special on the list, starting Monday Dec. 6th at 8 PM, which segment will include TMBG's. Here is their list: 100: Basket Case - Green Day 99. Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince 98. Everybody Hurts - R.E.M. 97. Don't You Want Me - The Human League 96. Bastards of Young - The Replacements 95. Faith - George Micheal 94. Gone Til November - Wyclef Jean 93. Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2 92. Going Back to Cali - LL Cool J 91. 1999 - Prince 90. Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz 89. Don't Let's Start - TMBG 88. Love Will Never Do - Janet Jackson 87. Firestarter - Prodigy 86. Cradle of Love - Billy Idol 85. Don't Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty 84. I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By - Method Man & Mary J. Blige 83. Cry - Godley & Creme 82. Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard 81. We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister 80. Close To Me - The Cure 79. Criminal - Fiona Apple 78. Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant 77. Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead 76. Whip It - Devo 75. Fight the Power - Public Enemy 74. Gonna Make You Sweat - C & C Music Factory 73. Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid 72. Setting Sun - Chemical Brothers 71. U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer 70. True Faith - New Order 69. 1979 - Smashing Pumpkins 68. Girls On Film - Duran Duran 67. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley 66. Fight For Your Right To Party - Beastie Boys 65. Stupid Girl - Garbage 64. Loser - Beck 63. Wild Thing - Tone-Loc 62. Where The Streets Have No Name - U2 61. Right Now - Van Halen 60. Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday 59. My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) - En Vogue 58. Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie 57. It's Oh So Quiet - Bjork 56. Enter Sandman - Metallica 55. Just A Gigolo - David Lee Roth 54. The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson 53. Our House - Madness 52. Everything is Everything - Lauren Hill 51. Twilight Zone - Golden Earring 50. Lucky Star - Madonna 49. Straight Up - Paula Abdul 48. Janie's Got A Gun - Aerosmith 47. Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads 46. Praise You - Fatboy Slim 45. November Rain - Guns 'N' Roses 44. Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson 43. Gimme All Your Lovin' - ZZ Top 42. Ironic - Alanis Morissette 41. Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi 40. Waterfalls - TLC 39. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper 38. One - Metallica 37. Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve 36. Give It Away - Red Hot Chili Peppers 35. Billie Jean - Micheal Jackson 34. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor 33. Jump - Van Halen 32. Nothin' But A G Thang - Dr. Dre 31. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics 30. Freak On A Leash - Korn 29. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits 28. Rockit - Herbie Hancock 27. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J 26. Welcome To The Jungle - Guns 'N' Roses 25. You Might Think - Cars 24. Virtual Insanity - Jamiroqaui 23. Mo Money, Mo Problems - Notorious BIG 22. No Rain - Blind Melon 21. Need You Tonight/Mediate - INXS 20. Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See - Busta Rhymes 19. Jeremy - Pearl Jam 18. Freedom - George Micheal 17. Closer - Nine Inch Nails 16. Every Breath You Take - The Police 15. The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly) - Missy Elliot 14. Take On Me - A-ha 13. Losing My Religion - R.E.M. 12. Beat It - Micheal Jackson 11. Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran 10. Madonna - Express Yourself 9. California Love - 2Pac 8. Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer 7. Sabotage - Beastie Boys 6. Sweet Child Of Mine - Guns 'N' Roses 5. Walk This Way - RUN DMC & Aerosmith 4. Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel 3. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana 2. Vogue - Madonna 1. Thriller - Micheal Jackson Boy am I bored. Well, there you have it. I think TMBG is in good company. And to spurn some conversation here, what videos would you like see on this list, -NON-TMBG!!! I think Paranoid Android, the Man from UNCLE video, Daft Punk's Around the World, and Video Killed The Radio Star. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991130050759.87230.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Buffalo Boy Flatland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:07:58 GMT Lydia wrote: >"I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice?" ROFL!! Where do I dig up >the >lyrics or MP3 or whatever to THIS one? LOL!! I believe there is an MP3 at TDK's site. The lyrics, to the best of my recollection, are somewhat like this: Don't, don't, don't criticize what you don't understand I've been tested by time, time and again I'm sick of, sick of being nice 'Cause I have learnt the value of human sacrifice -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991130051027.25988.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Buffalo Boy Flatland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:10:27 GMT JJRRutgers wrote: >It's official. If you look on MTV's Web site and TV Guide's Website, >you'll >find that They Might Be Giants' Don't Let Start was voted the #87 video of >all time. >87. Firestarter - Prodigy Am I the only one who notices a contradiction here? -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d24f0aa5.2574b754@aol.com> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 00:15:00 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life In a message dated 11/30/99 12:11:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << I believe there is an MP3 at TDK's site. The lyrics, to the best of my recollection, are somewhat like this: Don't, don't, don't criticize what you don't understand I've been tested by time, time and again I'm sick of, sick of being nice 'Cause I have learnt the value of human sacrifice >> Im not sure what lyrics you may be quoting from (a live version right?), but the lyrics for the song "Im Sick" are--- (from what I can make out...) Screw kid, I got nothing to say quit bugging me go away High time you realize, I didnt come here to socialize Im sick, sick of this american life And Ive learnt the value of human sacrifice I like staring at 2 glass eyes Keep em stuffed, museum style Got alarms set all around in case they move around! Im sick, sick of this american life and Ive learnt the value of human sacrifice. --Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991130054401.34839.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Buffalo Boy Flatland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:44:01 GMT Jordan wrote: >Im not sure what lyrics you may be quoting from (a live version right?) Yes, it's a song that They used to play live occasionally. I remember They did it at the one concert I attended, back in 1997. I guess They decided to change it a bit to make it about "This American Life." >Screw kid, I got nothing to say "Screw kid"? That doesn't seem to make much sense (unless Screw Kid is part of the new generation of hardware superheroes). It does sound kind of like that, though. Maybe it's someone's name (Kit, perhaps?). >I like staring at 2 glass eyes The two glass eyes managed to work their way into "Cyclops Rock," where they don't really seem to fit. I mean, where would a cyclops keep a second glass eye? -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-30 ******************************