Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #23-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 23, Number 5 Friday, 5 November 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: emusic.com / cdnow.com TMBG: Re: A Warning About CDnow TMBG: Re:House of John Re: TMBG: emusic.com / cdnow.com TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #23-4 TMBG: State Songs Lyrics! Posted on the Internet! TMBG: Re: State Songs lyrics TMBG: Re: State Songs lyrics Re: TMBG: Re: back inside cover of State Songs Re: TMBG: Re: back inside cover of State Songs TMBG: design in State's Songs sleeve TMBG: French, Effects, and Stupidity (not in that order) Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs lyrics Re: TMBG: Re:House of John Re: TMBG: Re: back inside cover of State Songs TMBG: Thunderbird lyrics. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991103233258.007bf7f0@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 23:32:58 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: emusic.com / cdnow.com >From: Matthew Burkart > >Have any of you looked through some of the bands on emusic.com? If you >have, then do you think any of the albums are worth purchasing? They have >the deal for an mp3 player if you spend $50 and I have only spent the $9 >for ltw. I highly recommend any of the Frank Black and the Catholics stuff ("Frank Black and the Catholics" and "Pistolero"). Frank was one of the first to sign on with goodnoise.com, whom emusic eventually bought out. I believe there's a free mp3 or two from Frank lurking somewhere around the site still as well. And as far as CDnow goes, I've had nothing but great experiences with them. I've had stuff show up a mere 2 or 3 days after I placed the order. Kerry ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38216E04.AE74FC3D@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 03:29:12 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: A Warning About CDnow From: Leo Bicknell wrote: > Every time I have ordered something that is not available there is >a pair of checkboxes on the order screen. The default one is "ship the items >when all are available", which soulds like what you got. There is a second >one, which is "ship in-stock items now, and the rest when they are available". >Note, if you select the second item they will charge a little more for >shipping as they have to send you multiple shipments. I had them ship partial orders in the past but this is the first time I advanced ordered anything. What they told me is that they hold orders until the advance item comes in. It seems though that they might send the other stuff immediately (without extra charge) if its coming from a different warehouse than the rest of your stuff. Anyway, I still think its a little confusing. Since, I already have "State Songs" that means some lucky person will get the one from CDnow as an Xmas gift! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3821705B.EAC37013@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 03:39:12 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re:House of John From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 02:12:33 -0800 (PST) >So recently, I decided to start work >on a John Linnell page, and I think it's ready for public display >(although there's really not that much up right now). I'd really >appreciate it if some of you guys took time out to check it out sometime >in the near future, and give me some feedback. >http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb/JohnLinnell Ahhhh! So that's why you were looking for a scan of the Montana single! Its a nice page. I think it would be cool if you put an interps section up for each state song where we could see everyone's attempts at figuring them out. (Not that they NEED to be figured out to be enjoyed.) -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991104160316.65262.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: emusic.com / cdnow.com Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 08:03:16 PST I'd definitely recommend the Phish show from Halloween 1990. I've heard the show from the night before and it was pretty sick. I haven't heard Halloween night, but the setlist is KILLER! (Buried Alive opener for all you phans out there) > >Have any of you looked through some of the bands on emusic.com? If you > >have, then do you think any of the albums are worth purchasing? They >have > >the deal for an mp3 player if you spend $50 and I have only spent the $9 > >for ltw. > >I highly recommend any of the Frank Black and the Catholics stuff ("Frank >Black and the Catholics" and "Pistolero"). Frank was one of the first to >sign on with goodnoise.com, whom emusic eventually bought out. I believe >there's a free mp3 or two from Frank lurking somewhere around the site >still as well. > >And as far as CDnow goes, I've had nothing but great experiences with them. > I've had stuff show up a mere 2 or 3 days after I placed the order. > >Kerry > ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991104172130.21515.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #23-4 Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 10:21:29 MST So can we call this wonderful thing THE QUESTION, then? jessica >In a message dated 11/3/99 4:17:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >jdf179@psu.edu >writes: > >Thanks alot, now it's driving me insane. :) I can't figure out what >it's >> supposed to mean at all, but I found something of interest to >HHGTTG >fans. >> There are 72 squares in the grid. Leaving the grid alone, subtract >one from >> the number 72 for every remaining line in the design, including >the >four >> that make up the outer square. 42! >> > >Woo hoo! The ultimate grid of life, the universe and everything! > >Lydia >Heheee! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E45641557D27@mail.schicktech.com> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: State Songs Lyrics! Posted on the Internet! Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:45:08 -0500 Hello exquisite living people, I put up a page of lyrics for State Songs in lieu of the much advertised but absent page on www.tmbg.com. I hope they're correct. Go to http://i.am/announcement/ and click where it says, "State Songs Lyrics". Love, Rob Plass ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 19:55:21 GMT From: sunburn_57@my-deja.com Message-ID: <7vsob7$98c$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Organization: Deja.com - Before you buy. Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs lyrics In article <7vff4g$1jlj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." wrote: > These are the lyrics for the State Songs not at tmbg.org > > MICHIGAN > > (This one is a bit tough... corrections appreciated.) > > O Michigan the templar of unchecked replication On the All Things Considered (NPR) interview, Linnell said that this was: "O Michigan, exemplar of unchecked replication." and he kept stressing that, in his fantasy version of Michigan, it was "amoeba-like," and in a sense it had unchecked growth. I've got another couple corrections: > O Michigan, O Michigan > The tank the fishes are in > Expansionist in spirit > In latter orders untame I hear "In letter, borders untame" > Don't hold us, don't hold us back > We must eat Michigan's brain > Now throw back Michigan "Now grow back Michigan" > We miss you again The rest of the songs look good, except for Iowa, which has already been corrected as I hear it. -Louis Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 19:55:20 GMT From: sunburn_57@my-deja.com Message-ID: <7vsob5$98b$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Organization: Deja.com - Before you buy. Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs lyrics In article <7vff4g$1jlj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." wrote: > These are the lyrics for the State Songs not at tmbg.org > > MICHIGAN > > (This one is a bit tough... corrections appreciated.) > > O Michigan the templar of unchecked replication On the All Things Considered (NPR) interview, Linnell said that this was: "O Michigan, exemplar of unchecked replication." and he kept stressing that, in his fantasy version of Michigan, it was "amoeba-like," and in a sense it had unchecked growth. I've got another couple corrections: > O Michigan, O Michigan > The tank the fishes are in > Expansionist in spirit > In latter orders untame I hear "In letter, borders untame" > Don't hold us, don't hold us back > We must eat Michigan's brain > Now throw back Michigan "Now grow back Michigan" > We miss you again The rest of the songs look good, except for Iowa, which has already been corrected as I hear it. -Louis Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991104210217.26481.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: back inside cover of State Songs Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 21:02:17 GMT I find nothing interesting except for the shapes of states and the shape of the whole United States. BTW, I love this album -- especially the Iowa song ... I heard my little sister (who is into ghetto rap) singing along to it. -Samantha >I've had all day to think on my reply to all this, and you're right, it's >just way too simplistic an answer. There's probably no way I'm ever going >to >hear the truth on what the hidden meaning is anyway, so I'm going to stop >beating myself up over this right now. > >Karen :-) >MuseKJ@aol.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.568499a6.25534ff9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:09:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: back inside cover of State Songs In a message dated 11/4/99 4:05:22 PM, samantha1983@hotmail.com writes: >I find nothing interesting except for the shapes of states and the shape >of >the whole United States. nope, that's not the one. :) it's the white page in the booklet with the black lines and grid on it. last page, not counting the zoe records questionairre thing that i assume everyone else has attatched to their cd booklet as well, yes? anyone sending that in? they should provide the postage. i wonder if they get a lot of those (not just zoe, but other labels that include them), and how good an indication it is of what albums sold.. hmm.. sarah ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199911042110.QAA28153@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: design in State's Songs sleeve Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:10:08 -0500 (EST) It's possible Linnell may have the tmbg.com folks publish the answer to the riddle in the sleeve at some later date. If you figure it out now perhaps there will be some prize where you submit your answer and are the first to be correct? I wonder if Linnell is thinking about this? I wonder if someone could suggest this idea to him? It'd be like that Merlin book! -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991104220449.20564.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: TMBG: French, Effects, and Stupidity (not in that order) Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 22:04:49 GMT Sorry about the stupidity of me with the thing ... the grid. I don't see any letters tho ... it just seems like something that got messed up and was supposed to have more words to ask or something. Who knows? Not me. Back to State Songs again: those funky effects (dustbuster and car alarm) rock my mind. The alarm makes no sense, but it fits the song. And the marching band style ending to Nevada which ends up 25 million minutes long is nifty also. Oh, and BTW, does Linny speak French? Garcon, eating snails, humble pied-a-terre ... just wondering. It seemed to be a reoccurance. -Samantha ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.38f9f56a.25536ca5@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 18:11:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs lyrics In a message dated 11/4/99 4:18:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sunburn_57@my-deja.com writes: > > O Michigan, O Michigan > > The tank the fishes are in > > Expansionist in spirit > > In latter orders untame > > I hear "In letter, borders untame" I always heard "In Latter Borders Obtained" or something. Lydia ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:58:26 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:House of John Message-ID: <3453-38221DA2-1472@storefull-244.iap.bryant.webtv.net> B O N G O wrote: Its a nice page. I think it would be cool if you put an interps section up for each state song where we could see everyone's attempts at figuring them out. (Not that they NEED to be figured out to be enjoyed.) You know, that's a good idea. I just might go with it. If anyone wants to submit their thoughts on the meanings behind particular State Songs (or maybe the whole album in generel), please feel free to do so. House of Mayors interps are welcome, too. Oh, and I'm glad you enjoy the page, Bongo. Your's...somewhat, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38222453.8183B487@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 19:26:59 -0500 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: back inside cover of State Songs Adrienne Spruill wrote: > > Oh my God...I so don't see it. Someone help me!! Hold it about a foot away from your face and stare at it. Eventually the image will come into focus. Hmm. Wait, I think I'm thinking of something else... It has enough straight lines in it that if you want to see a certain set of letters in it, you can probably find them. I think Karen has a good point that it *is* too simplistic an answer. But then again, would he put something there in the hopes that people would figure out what it was, but have it be something that not everyone would even understand once they knew what it was? That is, it's most likely something everyone would be able to get, or that everyone is at least familiar with. (or maybe he's a cruel bastard and it really doesn't mean anything at all, but he wants to drive us all crazy trying to figure it out :) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01bf2727$c9e81060$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: Thunderbird lyrics. Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:50:43 -0700 Er.. I thought I'd saved it, but apparently not. I lost the posting that told where the lyrics to "Thunderbird" were located. Anyone remember? :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico Here's my brand new web page... http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Shoppe/3169/ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #23-5 *****************************