Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 1 Wednesday, 1 December 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Re: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Re: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life TMBG: This American Life & Videos TMBG: Linnell KCRW Broadcast TMBG: Re: I'm Sick of TAL Re: TMBG: Videos Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life TMBG: Oops! Re: TMBG: Videos Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <38437881.B7C449E0@stratos.net> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:10:57 -0500 From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Buffalo Boy Flatland wrote: > >87. Firestarter - Prodigy > > Am I the only one who notices a contradiction here? I also noticed that TMBG isn't even ON the list! Unless we're both missing something here... RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3843D028.C4ED2F25@tc.umn.edu> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:24:56 +0000 From: Matthew Schempp Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Ryan Staib wrote: > Buffalo Boy Flatland wrote: > > >87. Firestarter - Prodigy > > > > Am I the only one who notices a contradiction here? > > I also noticed that TMBG isn't even ON the list! Unless we're both > missing something here... > > RS Hey, pssst...it's number 89! Plain as day... MadS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <38437EC7.DA015030@stratos.net> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:37:43 -0500 From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 100 Videos of All Time - (Long - entire list is here) Matthew Schempp wrote: > Hey, pssst...it's number 89! Plain as day... You know, I really should go to bed earlier... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:33:55 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <81vukb$14a5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life > >Im not sure what lyrics you may be quoting from (a live version right?) Yeah, It's a seemingly improvised song that I have on a single bootleg from Chicago. (4/29/97). Does anyone have a version from a different date? > "Screw kid"? That doesn't seem to make much sense (unless Screw Kid is part > of the new generation of hardware superheroes). It does sound kind of like > that, though. Maybe it's someone's name (Kit, perhaps?). I agree that it does sound like "screw kid". I was thinking maybe It's supposed to be "screw it" which makes more sense.. > The two glass eyes managed to work their way into "Cyclops Rock," where they > don't really seem to fit. I mean, where would a cyclops keep a second glass > eye? In more recent live versions Flans has sung "one glass eye", although the studio version says two. -Mike ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <0.e4594d60.2574f214@aol.com> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:25:40 EST Subject: TMBG: This American Life & Videos Hello 41- First of all, I want to say that I really like the This American Life CD. It's very good. There are a lot of good stories. Very moving. Cool stuff. When I first listened to the CDs, I forgot about the TMBG part because I was so wrapped up in the stories. Granted, I'm a big fan of spoken word, but I don't think it's that hard to get into. MTV's 100 best Videos. I was very impressed by their list. Good stuff. I'm sure I won't catch any of the ones I want to see, but that's life. I personally think True Faith and Once in a Lifetime are some of the coolest videos ever. Not on their list that could be there are Beautiful World by Devo, Let Forever Be by Chemical Brothers instead of Setting Sun, Liar by Rollins Band, and other stuff I'm not thinking of because I'm not thinking very hard. ~Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19991130054000.00805a50@pop3.xprt.net> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:40:00 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: Linnell KCRW Broadcast The archived broadcast of John Linnell's appearance on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic from last Tuesday is up now, if it hasn't been posted already. You can check it out at: http://www.liveconcerts.com/cgi-bin/InStudioPagebuild.cgi?Artists=1772 Kerry ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3843E011.EA8D2305@earthlink.net> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:32:50 -0500 From: Jennifer Gaboury Subject: TMBG: Re: I'm Sick of TAL hey folkfamily, no doubt this was discussed a year ago when the broadcast occurred, but I hadn't re-joined the list at that point and since Im sick came up, I thought Id mention it. they played Im sick, several standards (like shoehorn), and the TAL theme music at last years live this american life broadcast in NYC. it's worth mentioning not (just) to taunt those of you who weren't there, but b/c you can listen to it "for free" (as Ira says) online via realaudio: www.thislife.org. go to the 98 show archive; it's the first one up (December 18). you can also find sarah vowell's DAS chat w/ the johns for their telephone show (January 16, 1998). - jen (formerly kmsog@aol.com) ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d69c6a3f.257541ea@aol.com> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:06:18 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Videos > MTV's 100 best Videos. I was very impressed by their list. Good stuff. I'm > sure I won't catch any of the ones I want to see, but that's life. I > personally think True Faith and Once in a Lifetime are some of the coolest > videos ever. Not on their list that could be there are Beautiful World by > Devo, Let Forever Be by Chemical Brothers instead of Setting Sun, Liar by > Rollins Band, and other stuff I'm not thinking of because I'm not thinking > very hard. > > ~Adam If I didn't see it and it's on there, I'm sorry, but Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is *such* a great video. I mean, digitally dropping the band in on "Happy Days." How cool is *THAT?* Another favorite would be Weird Al's "Smells Like Nirvana." Dead-on sendup of the original. Lastly, a video three people have seen, "Build Me Up Buttercup" by the Goops, from the "Mallrats" soundtrack. If you ever see it, you'll know why. (it's available for DL at www.viewaskew.com/ under the "mallrats" section, BTW. Go watch. It neat.) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991130173640.65946.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Buffalo Boy Flatland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sick of This American Life Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:36:39 GMT The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: > > >Im not sure what lyrics you may be quoting from (a live version right?) >Yeah, It's a seemingly improvised song that I have on a single bootleg from >Chicago. (4/29/97). Does anyone have a version from a different date? They played it at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania show, which was also in April 1997, if I recall correctly. I don't have a tape of it, though, and I don't remember the words that They used that time. -- Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: kevinb@hem.utfors.se Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:49:50 +0100 Subject: TMBG: Oops! Message-id: <3.0.32.19991130204746.00a8a970@hem.utfors.se> Hi everyone, This sunday i sent about a thousand people an email that was intended for a few close friends and a few other people i correspond with. I've been answering emails for hours by people wondering why i email bombed them. Yikes! So, i thought i would just send a group email to all of you apologizing for any inconvenience or irritation i may have caused you. Quiet a few of you have sent me emails asking me to send more information to them, especially about the dangers of the World Trade Organization. I'll be glad to add you to my list of correspondents if you so wish. Otherwise you might want to check out back issues #673 #674 #675 and #677 at the Environmental Research Foundation's web site. They are the best explanations i have found about the dangers of the WTO. http://www.rachel.org./bulletin/index.cfm?St=1 As soon as i send this email off i will eliminate the file in my email program that caused this problem so that you won't get email bombarded by me in the future. Agian, i apologize for any inconvenience =) Best regards, Kevin Begley P.S. Thank you to those of you who have given me tips about how to send emails using Bcc (blind carbon copy). ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 00:32:43 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <822ee4$2e3j$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Videos wrote > > > If I didn't see it and it's on there, I'm sorry, but Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is *such* a great video. I mean, digitally dropping the band in on "Happy Days." How cool is *THAT?* Yes, the video so cool, they included it on the Windows 95 CD. I remember watching the video very closely on my PC, and I've concluded there wasn't any digital insertion, just very clever use of editing and body doubles. Plus, hiring the guy who played Al to appear in it, since he looks the same now as he did 20 years ago. -Jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-1 *****************************