Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 24 Friday, 24 December 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG Chat TMBG: TMBG fonts Re: TMBG: End of the Century TMBG: Re: TMBG Chat TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 03:34:37 -0500 Message-Id: <199912230834.DAA26353@web2.chek.com> From: "Shaun Peck" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Chat Hey, does anyone ever go to the TMBG Chat room at tmbg.com? I've tried it a couple of times, but I've never found anyone else there? Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000501bf4d30$3e107c60$c4b3a4c1@thelimes> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: TMBG: TMBG fonts Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:26:50 -0000 Hello Giant peeples, Ok, so Windows throws a tratrum of biblical proportions the other week and I lost EVERYTHING on my hard drive. I would be humbled and glowing if some nice person would do me the pleasure of sending the URL of the "Meet John Henry" font (and any other TMBG fonts out there in the dark depths of cyber space). All help will be met with jumps of joy and many a smile on this bitter, old, world weary face. So it is written, so shall it be done. Thanks in advance. ~ Uncle Squid: "I only wanted something else to do but sit around" xXx ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:00:53 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: End of the Century So as the Office empties and the IT 'experts' close down the networks and cover all the computers with black plastic bags (because the sprinkler system is bound to go off and flood everything!) may I wish all TMBG fans a restful and fun time over the break. If you have a God I hope they are with you at this time. Cometh the great hour I expect to be standing in a Community Radio studio, along with a number of close friends, broadcasting on 87.9fm to South West London. Who will be listening? Who cares! Look after yourselves and remember that there are a lot of people for whom this is not such a wonderful time of year (due to loneliness, homelessness, poverty, depression etc. etc.) so spare a thought for those less fortunate than us on this list. Richard ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:14:37 -0600 From: "John David Crafton" Message-ID: <83toqh$2ovc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Chat dude, there's always at least 2 people in there.... "Shaun Peck" wrote in message news:199912230834.DAA26353@web2.chek.com... > Hey, does anyone ever go to the TMBG Chat room at tmbg.com? I've tried it a couple of times, but I've never found anyone else there? > > Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net! ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d3fde4e0.25944443@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:36:35 EST Subject: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al I was watching the Wired Al Behind the Music Special, and they said that he did a few songs in the styles of other bands. I kind of suspected that, because I am positive that he did "Everything You Know Is Wrong" on the "Bad Hair Day" album in the style of TMBG. Just the voice he sang it in (although it was kind of his real singing voice) and the way he crammed all the lyrics together to a nice melody convinced me (Like TMBG: "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence" -- it's pure genius). Also: If VH-1 can make a whole day of programming out of Wierd Al -- couldn't they do the same for TMBG? I know, I know, he's more popular, but by how much? It seems to me that MTV and VH-1 have some kind of grudge or something against TMBG. While I'm at it, I had an idea the other day watching Total Request Live. I don't if anybody else ever thought of this, but -- What if Giants fans planned a day to call MTV and keep requesting -- say -- Doctor Worm? It would be organized thru the web using this and other mailing lists, and on people's websites? Now, I'm not sure how TRL works, but it could be done, right? Talk amongst yourselves, I'm verklempt. Rick ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20.19991223214440.00a61910@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:52:25 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al At 10:36 PM 12/23/99 -0500, CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: >I was watching the Wired Al Behind the Music Special, and they said that he >did a few songs in the styles of other bands. I kind of suspected that, >because I am positive that he did "Everything You Know Is Wrong" on the "Bad >Hair Day" album in the style of TMBG. Just the voice he sang it in (although Yes. He freely admits that TMBG is one of his favorite bands and that EYKIW was inspired by TMBG. >Also: If VH-1 can make a whole day of programming out of Wierd Al -- couldn't Weird Al. Sorry, I nitpick. :-) >they do the same for TMBG? I know, I know, he's more popular, but by how >much? It seems to me that MTV and VH-1 have some kind of grudge or something >against TMBG. Someone in the programming department at VH-1 adores Al. Since Running With Scissors came out, they've had non-stop specials and assorted related programming devoted to him. Al's a special case though -- his name recognition is through the roof, he's had an astonishing number of sales, and he's been in the public eye for around 20 years. (Really! Although he didn't really take off until 1984, he was somewhat well-known in the late '70s/early '80s for My Bologna and Another One Rides The Bus.) TMBG just doesn't have the sales or name recognition to warrant such attention in the eyes of their programming departments, which is understandable. Considering that most people can't name more than 1 or 2 TMBG songs (if that)...well, to put it another way, if someone told you that MTV was having a full day devoted to Human League, would you turn in? :-) It's really not that far-fetched of an analogy. Really though, I don't think MTV or VH1 has any more of a grudge against TMBG than they do most other bands. If they're not in the top 10 on the radio, don't expect them to be played on MTV. >While I'm at it, I had an idea the other day watching Total Request Live. I >don't if anybody else ever thought of this, but -- What if Giants fans >planned a day to call MTV and keep requesting -- say -- Doctor Worm? It would >be organized thru the web using this and other mailing lists, and on people's >websites? Now, I'm not sure how TRL works, but it could be done, right? In theory, yes. :-) Unfortunately, it's not really possible. A lot of people think that TRL is rigged, which may or may not be true, but regardless, every mailing list and newsgroup I'm on has tried it, and not a single one has succeeded. We'd have to get thousands upon thousands of people to join in, and we don't have that kind of support... -Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20.19991223215435.00a679b0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:55:06 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al It's astonishing how many spelling and grammatical errors I miss when I write longish letters. I apologize in advance. ;-) -Adam ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:32:47 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Message-ID: <27049-3863057F-7175@storefull-244.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Rick wrote: While I'm at it, I had an idea the other day watching Total Request Live. I don't if anybody else ever thought of this, but -- What if Giants fans planned a day to call MTV and keep requesting -- say -- Doctor Worm? It would be organized thru the web using this and other mailing lists, and on people's websites? Now, I'm not sure how TRL works, but it could be done, right? Nope. Take it from me: Don't waste your time and sanity. I arrange one of those a few months ago, and while it looked like it would work for awhile, and everyone was behind it, and it seemed like a good idea, I ended up failing miserably. TMBG not even making one of the close calls. I think that they disregard any votes for bands like TMBG. If it's not mainstream, it's not happenin'. They probably only count votes for crap like Britney Spears and other stuff they show on MTV all the time anyway. Your intentions were good... Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <0.6ea0dd89.2594624d@aol.com> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 00:44:45 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al In a message dated 12/23/99 11:50:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: > >While I'm at it, I had an idea the other day watching Total Request Live. I > >don't if anybody else ever thought of this, but -- What if Giants fans > >planned a day to call MTV and keep requesting -- say -- Doctor Worm? It > would > >be organized thru the web using this and other mailing lists, and on people' > s > >websites? Now, I'm not sure how TRL works, but it could be done, right? > > In theory, yes. :-) Unfortunately, it's not really possible. A lot of > people think that TRL is rigged, which may or may not be true, but > regardless, every mailing list and newsgroup I'm on has tried it, and not a > single one has succeeded. We'd have to get thousands upon thousands of > people to join in, and we don't have that kind of support... Wrong. It DID succeed ONCE. About half the internet called/wrote/emailed, and got New Kids on the Block played a while back... although, sadly enough, IIRC, even with all that support, it was still behind the Backstreet Boys.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20.19991223233648.00a669b0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 23:38:03 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Yeah, but that's different. What I meant was that every mailing list/newsgroup/bulletin board I know of has tried to get the band that list/newsgroup/bbs is devoted to on TRL, and not a single one (aside from Britney Spears chatrooms, of course) has succeeded. -Adam At 12:44 AM 12/24/99 -0500, EmarZero@aol.com wrote: >Wrong. It DID succeed ONCE. About half the internet called/wrote/emailed, >and got New Kids on the Block played a while back... although, sadly enough, >IIRC, even with all that support, it was still behind the Backstreet Boys.... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-24 ******************************