Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 25 Saturday, 25 December 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al TMBG: Re: TMBG Chat TMBG:MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Re: TMBG:MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Re: TMBG:MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al TMBG: the statue got me high TMBG: Chikstars Interview w/ John Linnell Semi-TMBG: TRL Re: TMBG:MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al TMBG: New Poll, some questions Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions TMBG: Re: New Poll, some questions Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions TMBG: Re: New Poll, some questions Re: TMBG: Re: New Poll, some questions TMBG: Hey all! Re: TMBG:MTV, VH-1, and Wierd Al Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 01:39:56 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <83v6uo$btj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Adam Tyner wrote in message news:4.3.0.20.19991223233648.00a669b0@mail.clemson.edu... > Yeah, but that's different. What I meant was that every mailing > list/newsgroup/bulletin board I know of has tried to get the band that > list/newsgroup/bbs is devoted to on TRL, and not a single one (aside from > Britney Spears chatrooms, of course) has succeeded. Ha ha, I'd like to see that chat transcript: BrtNyRulz: Hey!! let's all try and get "crazy" onto TRL!!! IMConfuzd: I think riki martins hot BckStret4evr: Cool, yeah! BritneySp657: I LIKE THE VIDEO FOR BABY ONE MORE TIME later.... BrtNyRulz: wow!! we did it you guys!!!!!!! nnty8degrz: isnt the internet like so cool -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 01:46:52 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <83v7bl$c6b$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Chat Shaun Peck wrote in message news:199912230834.DAA26353@web2.chek.com... > Hey, does anyone ever go to the TMBG Chat room at tmbg.com? I've tried it a couple of times, but I've never found anyone else there? Maybe if you go in before 2:30 am central time. On most days it's really busy in the evening, then tapers off as the night goes on. I"m not sure about during the day, but there's almost always at least one person in there. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003401bf4e22$01b5a7c0$a35133cf@default> From: "Chuck Campbell" Subject: TMBG:MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:17:32 -0500 Well, maybe we can't win over TRL With strength in numbers, but what about strength in Knowledge? You know, like Pop-up video or a show like that where knowledge is submitted and the video gets played. I think its just crazy enough to work! Let's put our nerd brains togeather and work something out. -Chris "Feeny, the unknown lurker" Campbell P.S. What ever happened to Flansy being on Time's Most Influential people list? >While I'm at it, I had an idea the other day watching Total Request Live. I >don't if anybody else ever thought of this, but -- What if Giants fans >planned a day to call MTV and keep requesting -- say -- Doctor Worm? It would >be organized thru the web using this and other mailing lists, and on people's >websites? Now, I'm not sure how TRL works, but it could be done, right? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20.19991224102318.00a66c60@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:29:23 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al (swoons) That is the most awesome idea that's been posted to the list in an incredibly long time. http://www.spinthebottle.com/pop_wanna_pop.asp or call 212-846-2POP to submit information for the show. This is something I genuinely think we can pull off. While our knowledge might not be enough, if we submit enough info, they might try contacting Adam Bernstein or someone else who worked on it for confirmation & further information. -Adam At 10:17 AM 12/24/99 -0500, Chuck Campbell wrote: >Well, maybe we can't win over TRL With strength in numbers, but what about >strength in Knowledge? You know, like Pop-up video or a show like that where >knowledge is submitted and the video gets played. >I think its just crazy enough to work! Let's put our nerd brains togeather >and work something out. ------------------------------ From: MDG611@aol.com Message-ID: <0.49f8283b.25950d93@aol.com> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:55:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG:MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al In a message dated 12/24/99 11:27:35 AM, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: >>Well, maybe we can't win over TRL With strength in numbers, but what about >>strength in Knowledge? You know, like Pop-up video or a show like that >where >>knowledge is submitted and the video gets played. >>I think its just crazy enough to work! Let's put our nerd brains togeather >>and work something out. > Which video? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991224180725.29203.qmail@web206.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:07:25 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: the statue got me high i saw the statue go me high video on Mtv2 today it was cool. Merry Christmas -Chirs(T)..mas _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 13:25:29 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Justin Brown Subject: TMBG: Chikstars Interview w/ John Linnell Message-ID: Randomly stumbled across this one: http://chickstars.chickclick.com/articles/1504.html Check it out. Later, the hanged man ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:34:17 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Semi-TMBG: TRL Message-ID: On Fri, 24 Dec 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Yeah, but that's different. What I meant was that every mailing > list/newsgroup/bulletin board I know of has tried to get the band that > list/newsgroup/bbs is devoted to on TRL, and not a single one (aside from > Britney Spears chatrooms, of course) has succeeded. Quite true. I remember that even the BNL discussion groups couldn't get TRL to play anything older or more obscure than "One Week". --nicole twn *** "Everyone's a novelist, and everyone can sing... but no one talks when the TV's on."--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.0.20.19991224125824.00a66b00@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:58:48 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:MTV, VH-1 and Wierd Al Don't Let's Start might not be a bad choice. -Adam At 12:55 PM 12/24/99 -0500, MDG611@aol.com wrote: >Which video? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991224213041.19902.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian The Bold" Subject: TMBG: New Poll, some questions Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:30:41 EST Here's another poll: Which TMBG LP do you like the best? This includes: 1.TMBG-The Pink Album 2.Lincoln 3.Flood 4.Miscellaneous T 5.Apollo 18 6.John Henry 7.Factory Showroom 8.Severe Tire Damage 9.Long Tall Weekend My pick: John Henry Here's a question for Mr. Dexter Flansburgh. What's the deal with your last name? Is it real? Any relation? Does it have anything to do with your liking TMBG? Another Flans-related question: How long has he had that orange cubist-like guitar. I 've seen it as far back as the TSGMH video. Did he have it custom made? Is it left-handed, or an upside-down right-handed? Thanks for any answers. Lift that fork, eat that snail, Ian Power http://www.angelfire.com/de/power19/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199912242218.RAA25559@orford.valley.net> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 17:21:28 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions From: "Robert L. Grabill II" Oh goody, another poll. Let's see, for the 5th time... >Here's another poll: > >Which TMBG LP do you like the best? > >This includes: > >1.TMBG-The Pink Album >2.Lincoln >3.Flood >4.Miscellaneous T >5.Apollo 18 >6.John Henry >7.Factory Showroom >8.Severe Tire Damage >9.Long Tall Weekend Lincoln. Buh. >Another Flans-related question: How long has he had that orange cubist-like >guitar. I 've seen it as far back as the TSGMH video. Did he have it >custom made? Is it left-handed, or an upside-down right-handed? To the best of my knowledge, the guitar(s) is (are) custom made. As Flansburgh is lefty, and all his other guitars are lefty, logic would dictate, lefty. I say guitar(s) because I believe the original one was stolen in the U-Haul robbery a few years back. -Rob ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000701bf4e61$c9ce54c0$5155dfd1@jdb> From: the4bushes@integritynetwork.net (Jerry Bush) Subject: TMBG: Re: New Poll, some questions Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:54:07 -0600 Lincoln. > Here's another poll: > > Which TMBG LP do you like the best? ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 14:55:10 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions Message-ID: <13654-3863F9CE-10264@storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net> My favorite album, not only by TMBG, but out of any album by any band that's ever been made, is Flood! Flood was the album that introduced me to the wonder that is TMBG. So, it's got a special place in my heart. Plus, it just kicks major ass! As far as my name goes: No, unfortunately, I am in no way related to the rock god we all know as John Flansburgh (although believe me, I would LOVE to be). 'Dexter Flansburgh' is just a little online alias I made up taking the 'Dexter' from Dexter Holland of the Offspring, and the 'Flansburgh' from, well, you know. Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 18:23:04 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38640058.46E65FD9@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: New Poll, some questions > Which TMBG LP do you like the best? > > This includes: > > 1.TMBG-The Pink Album > 2.Lincoln > 3.Flood > 4.Miscellaneous T > 5.Apollo 18 > 6.John Henry > 7.Factory Showroom > 8.Severe Tire Damage > 9.Long Tall Weekend > Lincoln. Although "Whistling in the dark" is my most favorite song and not on that LP, but that's okay. "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3864068C.5C9E1401@airmail.net> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 17:49:32 -0600 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: New Poll, some questions > > Which TMBG LP do you like the best? I'm a John Henry fan m'self. I know that puts me in the minority. :) Danielle -- Artists aren't really people. And *I'm* 40 percent papier mache. --Morrissey ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 22:49:48 -0500 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38643EDC.254B73FD@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Hey all! I just wanted to say Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate the holiday. I hope you all have a safe and wonderful day. Merry Christmas!! "I'd rather be whistling in the dark," -A ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.ad947d1c.25959a6f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 22:56:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG:MTV, VH-1, and Wierd Al In a message dated 12/24/99 2:57:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: << Don't Let's Start might not be a bad choice. -Adam At 12:55 PM 12/24/99 -0500, MDG611@aol.com wrote: >Which video? >> I agree. Definitely. Hey, I kinda started this, it's cool to see it took off. Wow. I guess that happens. Rick who has an annoying habit of sending replies to the person who wrote the message, not the list. Sorry! ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.a8b87ead.25959a8b@aol.com> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 22:56:59 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions I would have to pick Flood. It was the first TMBG LP I bought. Harry Pyle If anyone was wondering thats not my real name and I am of no relation to Gomer Pyle :) ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b6c5889e.25959be0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 23:02:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions I'd have to say Flood. I've listened to Flood since I was four. I was raised on Flood. Flood taught to use the CD player. I'm curious to see If anybody was introduced to TMBG at such a young age. My dad bought Flood when he the Birdhouse video on MTV, so it's his fault. That's why I'm so screwed up. Rick who almost sent this to the person who posted it. ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.ea6b5fda.25959ccf@aol.com> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 23:06:39 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: New Poll, some questions <> I think there was two robberies. So he's probably on his third. The first one was in 1996 after the first TMBG show I ever went to (in Clifton Park NY) they were robbed in Boston the day after. You can check the newspaper article with an interview with Linnell about it before they did a show in Troy(the second TMBG concert I went to). The second robbery was before that fathers day concert in Central Park. I was at the Asbury Park(5th concert I went to) show the day before when I heard Flansburgh talking about how they were robbed again. Harry Pyle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-25 ******************************