Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #24-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 24, Number 6 Monday, 6 December 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Chocolate Coins for All! (A "Feast of Lights" review) TMBG: DAS Index TMBG: Re:The SAT's and TMBG TMBG: 5 Linnell/Statesmen Digital Masters to Trade TMBG: Just a reminder... TMBG: Re: Index of DAS TMBG: Re: Index of DAS Re: TMBG: Re: Chocolate Coins for All! (A "Feast of Lights" review) TMBG:Newspaper articles from 1998 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <384A1546.2D3E01B6@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 23:33:30 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Chocolate Coins for All! (A "Feast of Lights" review) Recently, I wrote this about "Feast of Lights": >for a Linnell song, lyrically, its a bit bland. >The song doesn't have much of message beyond a "happy holidays"-type greeting. Musically >it was okay. Jordon, stunned, said: >What? > >Did you listen to the lyrics? The song is about a dysfunctional family who >hate eachother and never talk only getting together on hanukah. Linnell begs >"The only thing we have is fights, but theres got to be a change >tonight...Please be nice on this feast of lights".. >Bland, happy holidays indeed... > >Jordan In other words, "peace on earth, goodwill to men..yadda yadda yadda". A lot of families fight regularly and usually there's some effort made on holidays to try to avoid that. Jewel might just have easily written those lyrics. Just because its well meaning doesn't keep it from be bland. I've only heard it once, so theres some chance I'll like it more in the future. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <0.be6fd383.257b7741@aol.com> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 03:07:29 EST Subject: TMBG: DAS Index Can someone send me a link to the DAS index? Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <0.be6f7435.257bd249@aol.com> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 09:35:53 EST Subject: TMBG: Re:The SAT's and TMBG Billy Joel also has a song called Turn Around, off of his first solo album, Cold Spring Harbor. The same album contains the studio version of She's Got A Way. ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Message-ID: <0.813cbc6d.257c0aa3@aol.com> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:36:19 EST Subject: TMBG: 5 Linnell/Statesmen Digital Masters to Trade Hello, Last week I recorded 5 Linnell and the Statesmen shows on my Sony MZ-R30 Minidisc recorder. All turned out well. Everything is good. 1) 11/20/99 - Storyopolis instore - Los Angeles, CA 2) 11/21/99 - Coach House, San Juan Capistrano, CA 3) 11/22/99 - Troubadour - West Hollywood, CA 4) 11/23/99 - Amoeba Music - San Francisco, CA 5) 11/23/99 - Slim's - San Francisco, CA I also recorded videos of the instores, which also turned out well. Highlights include North to Alaska, Lincoln, Nebraska (Springsteen cover), Four Dead in Ohio, and the real Maryland state song. E-mail me. We may be able to trade stuff. Larry ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:32:59 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Just a reminder... Message-ID: <11009-384ABDEB-5969@storefull-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Tomorrow is the first segment of MTV's special on those TVGuide Best Videos of All Time thing. I believe they're covering 15 videos a day. Since common sense would assume that they're starting at the end of the list, and working their way up, TMBG being #89 on the list, their segment should be on tomorrow (Monday). So everybody watch it! They'll probably just say a little bit about the band and then play the video (Don't Let's Start, incase you've forgotten). But it'll still be cool. Who knows? There might be more. Maybe a video collage while they're talking about 'em. Anyway, don't forget to watch! I'll post another reminder tomorrow. Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 15:50:24 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <82elmn$2gr3$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Index of DAS PR Mega wrote in message news:19991205013126.02034.00000842@ng-bg1.aol.com... > Can someone send me a link to the DAS Index? Thanks. > > PR Mega > "I'd like to thank you all for coming...it'd be > pretty fucked up if no one was here" - JL http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/ and http://www.dialasong.com/sounds/ -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 17:37:18 -0500 From: scratch Message-ID: <384AE91E.1A788CCD@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Index of DAS "Jay G." wrote: > > PR Mega wrote in message > news:19991205013126.02034.00000842@ng-bg1.aol.com... > > Can someone send me a link to the DAS Index? Thanks. > > > > PR Mega > > "I'd like to thank you all for coming...it'd be > > pretty fucked up if no one was here" - JL > > http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/ > > and > > http://www.dialasong.com/sounds/ What's up with the different Certain People file sizes? -scratch ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <0.aa27b3a2.257c4c0f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 18:15:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Chocolate Coins for All! (A "Feast of Lights" review) In a message dated 12/5/99 2:28:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << A lot of families fight regularly and usually there's some effort made on holidays to try to avoid that.<< Yes, but usually happy holiday songs aren't ABOUT that. The song is original because its addressing a realistic issue that most songs DON'T. Just because something in reality happens a lot doesn't mean a song about it is unoriginal. >> Jewel might just have easily written those lyrics >> Eh, I saw the commercial for her christmas album... I doubt that. Jordan ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b6849a4.257c9e20@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 00:05:36 EST Subject: TMBG:Newspaper articles from 1998 I have just put up two newspaper articles from 1998 on my web page. The one from the Times Union is an interveiw with Linnell about the first TMBG concert I went to in Clifton Park NY(Dec. 6 1996) the articles may be hard to read if they are e-mail me and I try to fix it. I'm going to try to put in the radio advertisement from the 1996 concert up to. If you want to see the articles or concert pics or whatever else is on my page go to http://www.angelfire.com/or2/birdhouseiys Harry Pyle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #24-6 *****************************