Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 21 Wednesday, 21 July 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza TMBG: Webcast '99 TMBG: Re: Disquietude over LTW Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Re: TMBG: 2001:The Statue Got Me High Re: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Re: TMBG: 2001:The Statue Got Me High Re: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Re: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza TMBG: Needle in a Haystack TMBG: Webcast TMBG: Brave New World TMBG: LTW for those unable TMBG: Re: Opening Tracks (+ Predictions) TMBG: (Correction) TMBG: Re: Piracy TMBG: Fathers Day Pictures TMBG: broadcast.com Re: TMBG: Re: Piracy TMBG: broadcast.com Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Re: TMBG: Re: Opening Tracks (+ Predictions) Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut TMBG: eBay TMBG: Re: Piracy Re: TMBG: Re: Piracy Re: TMBG: eBay TMBG: The MP3 Argument NON-TMBG: eyes wide shut NON-TMBG: digital movies TMBG: eBay misuses Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Re: NON-TMBG: eyes wide shut Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW TMBG: The show, LTW, etc TMBG: tmbg chat transcript Re: TMBG: Re: Opening Tracks (+ Predictions) Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Re: TMBG: The show, LTW, etc Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:59:55 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Message-ID: <19990720.005956.-445399.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: Jeff Parker >HAHAH! I heard about them using that, but when it came over my poorly >constructed communist speakers, I thought for a moment that I might >be channeling people from the sixties again!!! > >Mike "Was that the Carol Burnett Show at the end???" Leffel >--I love lucy?? WHAT WAS IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??! > >It wasn't the theme to The Lloyd Bridges Show, I know THAT much. Your first answer was the correct one KING OF THE LIST! The theme from the Carol Burnett Show is exactly what it was... BTW, if anyone out there got a recording of the show they would like to share with me, please e-mail me! I own many Colombian drug facilities and a couple unsafe plants in third world countries where the workers get paid 10 cents an hour to make really neato Nike jackets. I'm sure we can work out some sort of trade... That's it... v^v Jeffro "Chicken wings... medium spicy" v^v np: LTW ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990720050801.83415.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: TMBG: Webcast '99 Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 05:08:00 GMT I neglected to mention my thoughts on the webcast issue in my previous post . . . It sounded like a great idea, but again, how many of us have a computer that would allow the streaming at any kid of respectable speed? I'm chugging along at 75MHz, and hotmail can barely keep up with the speed at which I type . . . TERRIBLE! I didn't even try to chat or hear the webcast, because I was depressed enough already. I noticed that this frustration over both the chat and the webcast was widespread. For those of you fortunate ones who had no problems, I blow raspberries in your general direction!! :) I'm only kidding . . . I should have been at the show, but I couldn't justify a $250 plane ticket to see a free show. I did, however, drive to St. Louis last weekend from Kansas City, which is about 250 miles. Bloody good show! Cheers, Chococat Proud Member of the elusive, clandestine, often imitated, never duplicated TMBG Information Club _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:06:26 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <379403D2.DC320C6C@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Disquietude over LTW "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" wrote: > > Chococat Hello. I'm from SANRIO. Please discontinue unapproved use of our characters name. Further use constitutes violation of our copyright, and will result in legal action. Chococat enjoys eating soft foods, like pudding. PUDDING (tm), It's not just for Purin anymore! > A Proud Member of the "Argh! I missed every opportunity to see/hear > tonight's show, but hey, that's what TDK's for!" Club > That's also what toilet paper is for. Oh! You said 'tonight's SHOW".. nevermind! ^_^ > P.S. This is my first post, and I am sorry that it was so controversial . . > . > Darn tootin! You should know that any *REAL* fan would go out and buy the latest computer just to hear TMBG's new MP3 album! ^_^ Mike "Who made the 'cover' art?" Leffel > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:10:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza In a message dated 7/19/99 10:01:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jbparke@juno.com writes: > BTW, if anyone out there got a recording of the show they would like to > share > with me, please e-mail me! I own many Colombian drug facilities and a > couple unsafe plants in third world countries where the workers get paid > 10 cents an hour to make really neato Nike jackets. I'm sure we can work > out some sort of trade... oooooooooooo, please! For those of us who had such a rough night....Knowing THEY were out there on the net and not being able to get through to the broadcasting web page. -kreadoubt, with ruffled featers even "Yeah, It's just, heh heh, well, yah know, heh heh, I...heh heh, SHUT UP LINNELL!" JF ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:18:26 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <379406A2.F2DFE731@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Jeff Parker wrote: > > >HAHAH! I heard about them using that, but when it came over my poorly > >constructed communist speakers, I thought for a moment that I might > >be channeling people from the sixties again!!! > > > >Mike "Was that the Carol Burnett Show at the end???" Leffel > >--I love lucy?? WHAT WAS IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??! > > > >It wasn't the theme to The Lloyd Bridges Show, I know THAT much. > > Your first answer was the correct one KING OF THE LIST! (Mike enjoys some butter, and a crown mysteriously pops onto his head! DA DA DA DA! IMPERIAL! S'ALRIGHT!) > The theme from > the Carol Burnett Show is exactly what it was... > It's enough to make me want to live in the basement with Skeeter! I knew it sounded familiar enough. Anyone know what that music was PRIOR to the concert? That was my "tunin' time" and I didn't get to catch much of it. > I own many Colombian drug facilities and a > couple unsafe plants in third world countries where the workers get paid > 10 cents an hour to make really neato Nike jackets. I'm sure we can work > out some sort of trade... > You pay them *TEN* cents???? Does Phil Knight know about this???? Mike "Official Michael Moore Clone" Leffel > That's it... That's it, UBU, That's it. Good dog. WOOF!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:17:01 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: 2001:The Statue Got Me High Message-ID: <19990720.013824.-201097.3.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:58:27 -0400 Sarah writes: > SO... I finally saw Kubrick's 2001:A Space Odyssey. Wow, what a > movie... > I can't even explain.... It put me in a trance and hurt my brain a > lot.... > and I found the black monolith to be rather... frightening? I know I > seen countless scenes from the movie... but never the whole thing, > and > often without knowing what they were from... > Anyway... I'd love to know what other people thought of this movie > (I > know many of you have seen it) But this is a TMBG list... so here's > the > TMBG relation. > After watching 2001 I couldn't stop thinking about how it made me > think > of the Statue Got ME High. Has anyone else ever noticed this? It's > like > the black monolith is the statue (or rather the monolith that towers > over him) > It seems animated, like its alive. But then it's just an inanimate > object.... I wish I could explain, but I don't even fully understand > it > myself... my brain is mush. yeah, that black monolithic statue definitely got me high *stumble* That movie was really crazy, and barely made sense to me, it also put me in a weird state of mind KRAZEEEEEEEEE Oh, and.... the video for Statue has the > Space/Astronaut theme to it.. but why? > > Okay, that's my thought for the day... > ~Sarah Mysterio Gal (Clagr McBlu aka Vanessa Siesta) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > *What they found was just a statue standing where the statue got me > high* > ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003c01bed273$2f9f65c0$1a3a9cd1@max162.International.1> From: "Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:46:15 -0400 -----Original Message----- From: Bob Scott To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 12:20 AM Subject: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza >Wow! That was great! Only a bit of trouble at the beginning of the >streaming, but once that was resolved, smooth sailing! >Here's a semi-playlist like type of thing, for those of you who might >have missed it: I had trouble all of the way through. My spawn of Satan Windows Media Player would start "buffering" or whatever and then skip over chunks of songs to catch up. It skipped right over all of Dr. Evil. Bleah. > > 1. Sorry I Fucked up the Show Did they really start with that?? I came in at JKP. Were they apologizing beforehand or just exploring the mystical land of Irony? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:55:11 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37940F3F.BEBE5673@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: 2001:The Statue Got Me High > On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:58:27 -0400 Sarah writes: > > > After watching 2001 I couldn't stop thinking about how it made me > > think of the Statue Got ME High. Has anyone else ever noticed this? It's > > > like the black monolith is the statue (or rather the monolith that > towers > > over him) It seems animated, like its alive. But then it's just an > inanimate > > object.... I wish I could explain, but I don't even fully understand > > it myself... my brain is mush. I should have mentioned this when the thread first started out, but never thought to til now. Anyway, I see 2001 as a movie (and book) which deals with the progression of time, and the progression of knowledge with time. So in the end, it would be more parrallel to Older, perhaps, at least IMHO. Oh, and I do love the movie, as I'm sure you all know. I haven't even begun to understand it entirely. Having heard several different interps of the film, I am not really satisfied with any single one. Bob "Evil, but thinking that he's good, so therefore evil for thinking along those lines... I have no idea" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:58:39 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3794100F.5ED6B3C4@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Weissman wrote: > > 1. Sorry I Fucked up the Show > > Did they really start with that?? I came in at JKP. Were they apologizing > beforehand or just exploring the mystical land of Irony? They interrupted the preshow music, which happened to be the theme to Gigantor, and Linnell just jumped in and started shouting out "Sorry I Fucked up the Show". I think it was just to get it out of the way so they wouldn't have to do it when Flans messed up on Maybe I know... :P Bob "I love how they just stop and point out their mistakes :P Linnell saying 'This is webcast! We have to fucking get it right!'" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007701bed277$ae6ef100$1a3a9cd1@max162.International.1> From: "Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 02:18:26 -0400 -----Original Message----- From: Bob Scott To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 2:06 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza >Weissman wrote: > >> > 1. Sorry I Fucked up the Show >> >> Did they really start with that?? I came in at JKP. Were they apologizing >> beforehand or just exploring the mystical land of Irony? > >They interrupted the preshow music, which happened to be the theme to Gigantor, >and Linnell just jumped in and started shouting out "Sorry I Fucked up the >Show". I think it was just to get it out of the way so they wouldn't have to do >it when Flans messed up on Maybe I know... :P > >Bob "I love how they just stop and point out their mistakes :P Linnell saying >'This is webcast! We have to fucking get it right!'" Scott Now that I think about it, I think they messed up on the same song at the Central Park show. But they couldn't swear about it, so I guess it wasn't as funny. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <312FD527DF9BD111A3BC00A0C941EC85C2B080@EXCALIBUR> From: "Pickstock, Kevin" Subject: TMBG: Needle in a Haystack Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:08:24 +0100 Is there any way of the digest administrators putting an index number for each message, or even better so that you can click the message in the index and it scrolls right down to that message? I read the index and wanted to read the "Hidden meaning of Shoehorn With Teeth" message - I'm sure I'll find it in the end, but there's so much text to scroll through it's so easy to miss. Aaaanyway, on the subject of album openings, I'd start with something a bit mysterious (but nice enough not to skip), then go full throttle into track 2 which will be an up-tempo live favourite. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:39:49 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Webcast Message-ID: <19990720.022608.-699995.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett I'd just like to say that despite media player's incessent rebuffering and skipping the sound quality of the webcast was excellent and the lyrics were very clear and everything was crisp. It was helpful in understanding their concert-only selections. Just thought I'd say that... Oh and I think emusic was down or something, it wouldn't connect for a while when downloading LTW but it came back up after a little while. That might have been what was wrong earlier. Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37944A0A.43A2CFCD@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 03:06:04 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Brave New World It seems now that They have left Elektra, They are getting involved in a lot of projects that stand a good chance to strike gold. I think the type of person that has an interest in this theoretical science stuff might be the type of person that would find TMBG's music interesting. Just as we see many listees saying they were introduced to TMBG through Tiny Toons, we might be seeing some that were introduced to them from this Brave New World thing. Maybe they should do "3-2-1 Contact" next. (If that show is still around.) -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007c01bed29b$a00ca660$5999e7ce@z0n4g0> From: "balloon" Subject: TMBG: LTW for those unable Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 06:35:44 -0400 OK, now is where I make LTW available for all those unfortunate enough to not be able to d/l it or burn it. The deal: 1- You email me at HellHotel@tmbg.org 2- You send me $13.00 ($9 to emusic, $2 CD, $2 shipping) 3- I order LTW from emusic for you, d/l it for you and then burn it to CD. 4- You get in the mail: LTW CD, Jewel Case and Liner with LTW's cover art off eMusic's web site. I will also be filling the end of the CD in with random live tracks...just an added bonus there. -Eric [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37945952.2D674509@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:11:19 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Opening Tracks (+ Predictions) Its seems that their recent albums have opened with tracks that had potential to attract more than just usual TMBG fans. Some people still associate TMBG with the 80's "new wave" scene. By the early 90's music trends had turned 180 degrees from new wave and "grunge" was the thing. TMBG may have felt pressured to prove they weren't stuck in the 80's. (Around that time, even Depeche Mode's members were wearing wool hats, flannels and stubble on their faces!) A18 and JH started with songs that had a hard and heavy sound (by TMBG standards anyway). "Dig My Grave" was sort of an affectionate mockery of metal. "Subliminal" had a somewhat raw, loud feel, sort of in the direction of grunge. Factory Showroom opened with "S-E-X-X-Y", a song conscious of the fact that the "urban contemporary" sound is what a lot of young people are listening to. Ska was very big when they were putting STD together. "Dr. Worm" is essentially the first real "song" on it. (STD theme is just a little intro). Of course "Dr. Worm" is in no way ska it but it IS heavy on the horns which makes it a little more "in" with today's music. (Ska has conditioned the masses to enjoy horns.) I don't consider them to be "sell outs" because of this. Its only the first song and they have a reputation for covering just about every style of American music anyway. If they continue this trend (and maybe they won't) what can we expect from the first track of the next studio album? I have a couple guesses. They could do a sort of electronic/dj thing. Maybe with some samples thrown in. Flansburgh seems not far from that kind of thing with Mono Puff. It wouldn't surprise me. More likely though I think they'll try something a little closer to the "nu-punk" sound. (Bands like The Offspring and Blink 182). I'm not saying that they would try to sound like them but they might push it in that direction. Of course, they've touched on this already with "Stompbox". And we already know that have a talent for concise, high-energy, jumping up and down songs. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37945F8B.FC85C81B@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:37:55 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: (Correction) [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37946513.A8E680F4@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 05:01:31 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Piracy [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Fathers Day Pictures Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:53:02 -0400 Sorry but I lost the list from yesterday. If anyone out there wants to start receiving pictures from Fathers Day In Central Park, please send me your email address. I intend to start sending on Thursday. Also if there is anyone out there that can tell me the best method to convert MP3s to CD tracks for burning it would be greatly appreciated and perhaps even rewarded. Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199907201408.KAA13738@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: broadcast.com Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:08:01 -0400 (EDT) Well Broadcast.com just sucks, but what can you do. The first thing they had listed on their site was to get RealPlayer, click on the streaming link and voila! you'll hear the concert. No, it didn't work, it wouldn't connect and I had to get a plug-in that did not exist. I download the newest RealPlayer G2. Almost 2 hours later it's downloaded and it doesn't work. Then I see something at the bottom that says to download Windows Media Player! I can't even find a streaming option on my Windows Media Player. By that time it was way too late, the concert was probably over and Broadcast.com perhaps made it the most difficult time to hear that concert, giving no real help in getting set up for it. They really should work on their technical support so that people can easily hear their broadcasts! -Matt ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199907201413.KAA14460@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Piracy Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:13:07 -0400 (EDT) > Mike Leffel wrote: > > > Well, on the chat, John said they don't > > worry about piracy, you nutty MP3-ers! He > > might as well said GO AND BURN LTW A MILLION TIMES OVER! > > > > He SHOULD be worried about Piracy though. > > > > Really? Which John? A listee posted a real audio interview last year in which he > asked Linnell about piracy. Linnell gave a stern lecture about how They aren't as rich as > you think they are and how they need to make a living. He seemed very concerned about it > back then. > Flansburgh said he wasn't worried about piracy. It was probably their quick answer to "how the heck can we get off this issue?". Really, there's nothing they can do about it apart from lecturing people and hoping their fans' consciouses don't weigh on them. Since .mp3s are all the craze, I'm sure they're trying to cash in as "The First Major Rock Album to be released only in MP3 format". If MP3s really do become as well known as CDs then that will be a title thrown around about them for a long while. -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990720163310.32708.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: TMBG: broadcast.com Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:33:09 PDT At first I tried getting though on IE5. It didn't work so I went to Netscape. It didn't work. Windows Media Player was popping up but saying that something was wrong. Genius that I am, I read up a little on their Windows Media Player FAQ.... Not knowing what to do, I switched one of the settings to "no proxy" and BAM it worked! I enjoyed about 40 minutes of music. It WAS pretty good quality even though some of the songs skipped a lot, especially "Dr. Evil". I was on the Yahoo chat, but none of my questions got through. The Johns were being selective. Piracy ====== Believe me, I think they DO worry about piracy. Also, that TEMPE story was very funny. =) "I don't get it. What's that weird word you keep saying?" At the Fairfax Fair they shouldn't even have mentioned the radio station that was sponsoring them because they got that wrong too. -Keembearlee _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990720170525.81812.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:05:24 PDT Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: >You know, the decision to make Long Tall Weekend MP3-only has irked me for >some time now. Let me explain: > >1) I have to wonder if the Johns did this to be "with the times", e.g. MP3 >format; if so, did They consider the revenue they would stand to lose due >to piracy? > >2) Why no cd release version at all? Surely not even 75% of TMBG fans >have a computer, let alone a computer that runs fast enough (modem >included) to permit them to download the album and/or the separate tracks >at any kind of respectable speed. I am also certain that every fan would >most likely buy the album in cd format, as cds are commonplace. I can also >understand releasing the album on MP3, and later on cd for those of us >without a burner :) > >3) How does the MP3-only decision benefit Them at all? I find it hard to >believe that They have enough money to put out an full-length EP for $8.99 >and never even try to sell cd copies. What about the liner notes? There's >no hope for posterity! No pictures, no credits, no nothing. > >Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me? I think that much of it has to do with monetary factors. True, the Johns probably aren't going to make much money from LTW, but They aren't going to LOSE that much money, either. I suppose that putting out a CD is expensive, and the risk that it won't sell (which isn't all that unlikely, considering the type of material on the album) is one that They don't want to take. This only really applies to a commercial release, though; They probably wouldn't have lost much money by releasing a self-recorded tape (or possibly even CD) through the Info Club. You might have a point with the technology angle. It irks me when someone wants to utilize new technology just because it's new, especially when the new technology is something to which not everyone has access (which is certainly true for MP3's), and which is inferior to the old technology in many ways (which is also true for MP3's). The Johns might feel differently from me about this, though, and I suppose that Their opinions are the ones that matter in this situation (although, if the MP3-only album doesn't really work out, They might steer away from doing this again in the future). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "All we are saying is give CD's a chance" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990720171921.54781.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Opening Tracks (+ Predictions) Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:19:20 PDT Bongo wrote: > Its seems that their recent albums have opened with tracks that >had >potential to attract more than just usual TMBG fans. Perhaps, but it leads me to wonder why. It makes sense to use tracks with wide appeal as singles, but the single track doesn't have to be the first one on the album. If someone only likes the single track, this person will probably buy the single, and not the album. If someone does buy the album, it doesn't matter what the first tracks sounds like; the album is already sold, and, even if the buyer is ignorant enough to judge the entire album by the first track, the Johns and Their label have already made their money. > Some people still associate TMBG with the 80's "new wave" scene. >By >the early 90's >music trends had turned 180 degrees from new wave and "grunge" was >the >thing. TMBG may >have felt pressured to prove they weren't stuck in the 80's. (Around >that >time, even >Depeche Mode's members were wearing wool hats, flannels and stubble >on >their faces!) It seems odd that a band with access to regular recording equipment and musicians who know how to play would WANT to sound like a garage band (unless it's an affectionate send-up, as songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stomp Box" seemed to be), but I guess that's Their decision. > A18 and JH started with songs that had a hard and heavy sound >(by >TMBG standards >anyway). "Dig My Grave" was sort of an affectionate mockery of metal. > >"Subliminal" had a >somewhat raw, loud feel, sort of in the direction of grunge. Although I don't know much about grunge, I'm not sure that "Subliminal" is anywhere close to that genre. Sure, it's fairly noisy, but it's also upbeat and "poppy" (meaning that it has a pop music sound, not that it has anything to do with flowers that induce drowsiness). > I don't consider them to be "sell outs" because of this. Why would you? I certainly wasn't hinting at this in my post. Saying "'S-E-X-X-Y' was a lousy opening song" is hardly the same as saying "They were selling out by using 'S-E-X-X-Y' as the opening song. The way that people like to use the word "sell out" in largely inappropriate situations both amuses and disturbs me. If Their decision to produce "S-E-X-X-Y" had been something that They didn't want to do, but that They thought would be a good financial move, then They could possibly be considered sell-outs. As far as I know, though, Flans (and Hal Cragin) wanted to write the song. > I guess we'll just have to wait and see. If it came to be, I would just have to wait and see. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "And I don't want anything, I don't want anything, now that I have everything" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990720101705.0069e544@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:17:05 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW I doubt They'd lose a cent. eMusic probably paid Them quite a bit of money for Them to offer exclusive new material (even if quite a bit of it isn't all that 'new') through eMusic.com. One thing I really dislike about your argument: "It irks me when someone wants to utilize new technology just because it's new." I mean, take DVD, for instance. DVD is still inferior to film, it uses lossy compression, but if no one ever made any discs because the technology is 'new', DVD players would just be highly overpriced doorstops. Not everyone has a DVD player, so why should companies bother making DVD discs? Everytime a new technology arises, people gripe. It's inevitable. -Adam At 10:05 AM 7/20/99 PDT, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >I think that much of it has to do with monetary factors. True, the Johns >probably aren't going to make much money from LTW, but They aren't going to >LOSE that much money, either. I suppose that putting out a CD is expensive, >and the risk that it won't sell (which isn't all that unlikely, considering >the type of material on the album) is one that They don't want to take. >This only really applies to a commercial release, though; They probably >wouldn't have lost much money by releasing a self-recorded tape (or possibly >even CD) through the Info Club. You might have a point with the technology >angle. It irks me when someone wants to utilize new technology just because >it's new, especially when the new technology is something to which not >everyone has access (which is certainly true for MP3's), and which is >inferior to the old technology in many ways (which is also true for MP3's). >The Johns might feel differently from me about this, though, and I suppose >that Their opinions are the ones that matter in this situation (although, if >the MP3-only album doesn't really work out, They might steer away from doing >this again in the future). ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990720172825.63435.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:28:24 PDT Adam Tyner wrote: >One thing I really dislike about your argument: "It irks me when >someone >wants to utilize new technology just because it's new." I mean, take >DVD, >for instance. DVD is still inferior to film, it uses lossy >compression, >but if no one ever made any discs because the technology is 'new', >DVD >players would just be highly overpriced doorstops. What would be wrong with that? Unless you're the type who just BUYS new technology because it's new, you wouldn't purchase a DVD player unless someone came out with some decent discs for it. If no one came out with the discs, you wouldn't buy a DVD player, and you'd save money. Where's the problem in that? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "It's a long tall weekend they use to hang me soon I hope" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:05:21 -1000 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Azelma1115@aol.com sez: >Also, I really wish >that some scenes weren't cut, I mean Stanley wanted them there for a reason. >Anyway it was great (I think) and it was quite thought provoking to boot. Well, the integrity of the film was preserved, for the most part, especially in the, um, 'party' scene... the whole scene was going to have to be cut severely in order to get an R rating. Instead, figures were strategically digitally inserted to cover up the, um, 'action'. This way, they could keep the scene and preserve Kubrick's artistry. Courtney L . Patubo - cpatubo@sirius.com toonie@tmbg.org * ICQ #3762743 http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199907201829.OAA20414@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:29:24 -0400 (EDT) > Well, the integrity of the film was preserved, for the most part, > especially in the, um, 'party' scene... the whole scene was going to have > to be cut severely in order to get an R rating. Instead, figures were > strategically digitally inserted to cover up the, um, 'action'. This way, > they could keep the scene and preserve Kubrick's artistry. > I had heard that the European version(s) had it has Kubrick originally intended without any digital editing. Anyone know if this is true? -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0F4FE960EF7BD211B27B00104B95BF0B1DA550@TDSCSERVER03> From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: eBay Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:30:53 -0400 Well, I knew it wouldn't be long, but sheesh, a copy of LTW is already up to $66 on eBay. Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:54:36 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3794C5EC.DF1425DE@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Piracy Bongo wrote: > > > Mike Leffel wrote: > > > Well, on the chat, John said they don't > > worry about piracy, you nutty MP3-ers! He > > might as well said GO AND BURN LTW A MILLION TIMES OVER! > > > > He SHOULD be worried about Piracy though. > > > > Really? Which John? A listee posted a real audio interview > last year in which he asked Linnell about piracy. Linnell gave a > stern lecture about how They aren't as rich as you think they are and > how they need to make a living. He seemed very concerned about it back > then. > > -B O N G O > > > Someone had asked if they were worried about losing revenue due to the ease of merely COPYING mp3's, (I don't recall the exact question) and John F (I'm pretty damn sure) said just "We don't worry too much about piracy." (again, I don't recall the exact answer.) But that was it, and it was it and it's........... Mike "Monty Python's Flying Circus-cus-cus" Leffel ---of course, they could have been off their nut... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:58:00 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3794C6B8.74AA4F1F@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Piracy Matt James wrote: > > > Mike Leffel wrote: > > > > > Well, on the chat, John said they don't > > > worry about piracy, you nutty MP3-ers! He > > > might as well said GO AND BURN LTW A MILLION TIMES OVER! > > > > > > He SHOULD be worried about Piracy though. > > > > > > > Really? Which John? A listee posted a real audio interview last year in which he > > asked Linnell about piracy. Linnell gave a stern lecture about how They aren't as rich as > > you think they are and how they need to make a living. He seemed very concerned about it > > back then. > > > Flansburgh said he wasn't worried about piracy. It was probably their quick answer > to "how the heck can we get off this issue?". Really, there's nothing they can do about > it apart from lecturing people and hoping their fans' consciouses don't weigh on them. > Since .mp3s are all the craze, I'm sure they're trying to cash in as "The First Major > Rock Album to be released only in MP3 format". If MP3s really do become as well known > as CDs then that will be a title thrown around about them for a long while. > -Matt Much like 'QUIRKY"!!!!!!!! ^_^ Mike "I fear only Doctor Demento 2099 will remember them..." Leffel :( (he fights the forces of IMUSTRON, Howard Sterno- the Invincible, RushBaughnaut, and ART BELL and his SPACE LEGION OF DOOM!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990720150713.01119df0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:07:13 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: eBay At 02:30 PM 7/20/99 -0400, you wrote: >Well, I knew it wouldn't be long, but sheesh, a copy of LTW is already >up to $66 on eBay. I see three auctions up, and two of them claim to have promo releases of LTW on CD. If those actually exist, I don't have a problem with them...but the other (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=134291393) is an audio CD on CD-R and that...rubs me the wrong way. Some of the other stuff is a bit iffy. The desktop theme CD is just stupid and the "1991 RARE B SIDES CD" is misleading, but most of it seems to be fairly on the up and up, selling the CDs and VHS tapes themselves. But anyway, I looked a little bit and couldn't find a place to report the seller of the CD-R, maybe someone here knows where to go for that sort of thing. Taking advantage of fools is one thing, taking advantage of Brookyln's "other two" Ambassadors of Love is another. Dylan "Mike Leffel sold Canada on Ebay for $1.15" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dylan@flipse.com http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990720192216.49120.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: TMBG: The MP3 Argument Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:22:16 GMT Adam wrote: One thing I really dislike about your argument: "It irks me when someone wants to utilize new technology just because it's new." I mean, take DVD, for instance. DVD is still inferior to film, it uses lossy compression, but if no one ever made any discs because the technology is 'new', DVD players would just be highly overpriced doorstops. Not everyone has a DVD player, so why should companies bother making DVD discs? Everytime a new technology arises, people gripe. It's inevitable. I AGREE! I don't really see how one can compare DVD to film in the first place! By this, I mean, DVD (Digital Video Disc, the operative word being *Digital*) is not in the same species, genus, family, order, class, phylum, or kingdom as film. Honest-to-god film, of course. Images transferred to negatives which are eventually projected onto a screen using the properties of light and enlargement. Take Stanley Kubrick, for example. I recently read all 100 or so reviews for the Stanley Kubrick Collection (on DVD) at amazon.com. Over 90% of the reviews were bad, and probably 98% of those were about the sound quality of the DVDs, being in mono rather than stereo. Apparently Kubrick believed that two-dimensional images should be accentuated with two-dimensional sound, and thus, his films were all in mono with the exception of 2001. The people were upset because to them, a DVD is of better quality than film, and thus, the sound should have improved proportionately. I think that the enchantment with DVD quality is laughable. Mind you, I prefer that my Gary Numan cds are "digitally remastered", but if it sounds bad in the first place, where is the room for improvement? Alright, now for my point. MP3 is merely a compression standard, much like the seven-layer OSI model is merely a protocol. Change the protocol all you want; if the data wasn't clear at the point of origination, the protocol converter box won't magically improve the quality of the signal, nor the data. I realize that not much of this makes sense, but there I go again griping about technology. I'll take a live TMBG show any day over anything. Cheers, Chococat Proud Member of the top secret telecommunications Surveillance Technicians Club for the generally overworked, drastically underpaid, and completely misunderstood. :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: <188018b9.24c61d2b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:42:51 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: eyes wide shut Yes, it's true. In Europe, it's rated the equivelant of NC-17, and it's exactly as he planned. My parents saw it, and found parts of it a little unrealistic, but really enjoyed it. One question, though, that they had: Was it really shot all in England? Apparantly the New York was very New York-ish. Thanks Sam webmaster, Alpach Software - http://alpach.witsandbits.com "Can one monkey rule the universe?" ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199907202006.QAA04831@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: NON-TMBG: digital movies Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:06:33 -0400 (EDT) With the recent talk about the Phantom Menace being an all digital movie, and the all-digital projectors that some theaters are getting, will the translation from the movie screen to DVD be more fluid? Will these new projectors only affect picture quality or will they affect sound quality as well? For Kubrick's mono-sound movies, would such a format prevent such a movie from ever being THX certified? Thanks, Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0F4FE960EF7BD211B27B00104B95BF0B1DA553@TDSCSERVER03> From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: eBay misuses Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:02:13 -0400 safeharbor@ebay.com is the email address I've been using for months to report the sale of bootlegs. They usually end the auction fairly quickly. Amy :) ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <7829be55.24c63128@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:08:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW In a message dated 7/20/99 1:18:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << The Johns might feel differently from me about this, though, and I suppose that Their opinions are the ones that matter in this situation (although, if the MP3-only album doesn't really work out, They might steer away from doing this again in the future). >> Aren't Their opinions the only ones that matter in any situation, where their work is concerned? Karen Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:18:24 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: eyes wide shut In a message dated 7/20/99 3:24:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Samman85@aol.com writes: << One question, though, that they had: Was it really shot all in England? Apparantly the New York was very New York-ish. >> Yes, that is true also. Some critics complained that there didn't seem to be enough people and traffic in the "movie's New York," but my husband and I didn't seem to notice that (probably because we visit New York on an average of only once or twice a month). Karen Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990720204534.10436.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:45:34 GMT Oh, sure. However, I'd like to think that the Johns are a bit less abrasive than that when it comes to their audience's feelings and input towards their music? Does this make me naive?? :) Chococat the wide-eyed innocent >From: MuseKJ@aol.com >Reply-To: MuseKJ@aol.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW >Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:08:08 EDT > >In a message dated 7/20/99 1:18:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >xornom@hotmail.com writes: > ><< The Johns might feel differently from me about this, though, and I >suppose > that Their opinions are the ones that matter in this situation (although, >if > the MP3-only album doesn't really work out, They might steer away from >doing > this again in the future). >> > >Aren't Their opinions the only ones that matter in any situation, where >their >work is concerned? > >Karen Riley >MuseKJ@aol.com _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <17532382.24c637cf@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:36:31 EDT Subject: TMBG: The show, LTW, etc Well I think Im the only one so far thats went to the show last night and posted...sooooooo.. I got in line with Josh (Jish) reaaally early at 3...All 3 Dans walked by...as well as Mr.John Linnell...I said "Hi John" and he said hi without turning his head...I asked "Are you playing Dont Lets Start tonight?) (I had never heard DLS live and I knew theyve been playing it at random recent shows...) and he said "I dont know" and quickly walked into Irving Plaza. Hmmph... Well as many of you probably heard, the show was really great. Before TMBG came out Long Tall Weekend was playing on the speakers (but for some reason it would skip over Edith Head and Older)...You Were Spiralling came out and was ok...they had a lot of energy and the songs werent bad...I didnt mind them. Im trying to have a more positive attitude about opening bands...Hooray for opening bands! :)))) Soooo Dan, Dan, Dan, and John Linnell come out...Flans was a minute late, which is probably why he went into an interesting rendition of "Sorry I Fucked Up The Show" (its not on the setlist) Since most of you heard the show, or WILL hear the show, Theres no need to reenact all the funny things John and John said, and I know the setlist was posted...They did play Dont Lets Start, with a nice long intro...it was really incredible...Ive been wanting to hear it live and it was perfect. Mmmm! The whole show was perfect, regardless of the many fuck ups. (thats sort of what makes a show even more perfect). They had a lot of energy...Linnell was jumping at his keyboard for a lot of the show. And Dan Miller is INCREDIBLE. Because of the lack of horns, Dan filled that in with these amazing solos in songs like Birdhouse In Your Soul and Your Racist Friend. Linnell messed up the lyrics of Its So Loud In Here at the end...It was really great to hear Spiralling Shape, and I never get tired of the Exquisite Dead Guy puppet heads. Linnell hung it right over our heads (though not close enough...we couldnt touch it) while Flans, the BRAVER one, dipped the puppet head right into the crowd, with the fans grabbing its hair and such. Flans also had the puppet head sing into the microphone, heehee...and Linnell kept putting the puppet head on Dan Hickeys drumset. Robin Goldwasser came out and did a great performance of Dr.Evil, with Linnell on accordion and Dan Miller on keyboard. One of the things I was dissapointed by was how they barely acknowledged the fact that this was a big fan only show. I mean the only people who could have really seen it were members of the info club, those who got tickets in advanced (they were sold out the day of the show), and those free on a MONDAY night...that makes for an audience of pretty big tmbg fans. Yet they didnt really say anything in reference to that. After the show everyone screamed for a setlist. The stagehand turned around and threw it behind him into the audience, and I caught it :) Nothing too interesting on it though, they played every song and didnt play anything not on it (though Mr.Tambourine Man was a last minute decision from Flans during Spy). After getting the setlist, Emusic people were giving out little bags which contained an Emusic shirt AND... A FREE PROMOTIONAL CD COPY OF LONG TALL WEEKEND!!! COVER ART AND ALL! I got one :) so did Josh (Jish) and a bunch of people. Im listening to it now..its so great...These are probably being sold on ebay already :P I love Long Tall Weekend...all the songs are so out of place from anything theyve ever done...Its such an outsider album...no songs could find a place to be...so they are all on this... I should be writing more of a review and scanning the setlist and sending it to tmbg.net. Jordan ------------------------------ From: ALeigh992@aol.com Message-ID: <389f3899.24c63af8@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:50:00 EDT Subject: TMBG: tmbg chat transcript Well, yahoo wouldn't let me cut and paste, so I typed all this up as it was happening. I tried to keep everything as it was, just cut out the idle room chatter that the johns didn't see, and cut out the repeated questions (there were quite a few, I don't know what happened)...and was happy that they included my question (where's your favorite place to write songs, though linnell didn't answer.) Flans really dominated this thing...maybe he types faster than linnell. http://www.geocities.com/area51/zone/3651/tmbg_chat.html (put into beautiful html, thanks to Mike Hinkley) hope you all enjoy... aleigh http://i.am/not_your_broom ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:30:32 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Opening Tracks (+ Predictions) Message-id: <3794EA77.F726E29B@wmich.edu> I think this is part of what makes any band great (*cough* the Beatles...) They have the ability to change with the times... both musically and technically (as in.. technology.... as in.. MP3's.... ) Their style of music has indeed changed with the times... and I think this is an incredible thing for any band to do. So many bands get stuck in a rut and then every song starts to sound the same... TMBG has kept up with the challenge of trying new things. Granted its not always what the fans want... but it's a great tribute nonetheless... and now I feel like I'm rambling.... > Its seems that their recent albums have opened with tracks that had potential to > attract more than just usual TMBG fans. > > Some people still associate TMBG with the 80's "new wave" scene. By the early 90's > music trends had turned 180 degrees from new wave and "grunge" was the thing. TMBG may > have felt pressured to prove they weren't stuck in the 80's. (Around that time, even > Depeche Mode's members were wearing wool hats, flannels and stubble on their faces!) > > A18 and JH started with songs that had a hard and heavy sound (by TMBG standards > anyway). "Dig My Grave" was sort of an affectionate mockery of metal. "Subliminal" had a > somewhat raw, loud feel, sort of in the direction of grunge. Factory Showroom opened with > "S-E-X-X-Y", a song conscious of the fact that the "urban contemporary" sound is what a > lot of young people are listening to. Ska was very big when they were putting STD > together. "Dr. Worm" is essentially the first real "song" on it. (STD theme is just a > little intro). Of course "Dr. Worm" is in no way ska it but it IS heavy on the horns which > makes it a little more "in" with today's music. (Ska has conditioned the masses to enjoy > horns.) > > I don't consider them to be "sell outs" because of this. Its only the first song and > they have a reputation for covering just about every style of American music anyway. > > If they continue this trend (and maybe they won't) what can we expect from the first > track of the next studio album? I have a couple guesses. They could do a sort of > electronic/dj thing. Maybe with some samples thrown in. Flansburgh seems not far from that > kind of thing with Mono Puff. It wouldn't surprise me. > > More likely though I think they'll try something a little closer to the "nu-punk" > sound. (Bands like The Offspring and Blink 182). I'm not saying that they would try to > sound like them but they might push it in that direction. Of course, they've touched on > this already with "Stompbox". And we already know that have a talent for concise, > high-energy, jumping up and down songs. > > I guess we'll just have to wait and see. > > -B O N G O ~Sarah, Ana Ng are getting old... you know the rest ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:33:46 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Message-id: <3794EB39.DE9EC5D1@wmich.edu> > One thing I really dislike about your argument: "It irks me when someone > wants to utilize new technology just because it's new." I mean, take DVD, > for instance. DVD is still inferior to film, it uses lossy compression, > but if no one ever made any discs because the technology is 'new', DVD > players would just be highly overpriced doorstops. Not everyone has a DVD > player, so why should companies bother making DVD discs? Everytime a new > technology arises, people gripe. It's inevitable. Okay.... but how many films are released ONLY on DVD... none that I can think of. I think it's neat that TMBG has released and MP3 only album... but it'd sure make life easier for those of us in the technological dark ages if they had ALSO released it on CD. ~Sarah, I'm older than I've ever been.... and I'll be even older this Friday (woo-hoo.... the mark of two decades will be upon me!) > > > -Adam > > At 10:05 AM 7/20/99 PDT, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > >I think that much of it has to do with monetary factors. True, the Johns > >probably aren't going to make much money from LTW, but They aren't going to > >LOSE that much money, either. I suppose that putting out a CD is expensive, > >and the risk that it won't sell (which isn't all that unlikely, considering > >the type of material on the album) is one that They don't want to take. > >This only really applies to a commercial release, though; They probably > >wouldn't have lost much money by releasing a self-recorded tape (or possibly > >even CD) through the Info Club. You might have a point with the technology > >angle. It irks me when someone wants to utilize new technology just because > >it's new, especially when the new technology is something to which not > >everyone has access (which is certainly true for MP3's), and which is > >inferior to the old technology in many ways (which is also true for MP3's). > >The Johns might feel differently from me about this, though, and I suppose > >that Their opinions are the ones that matter in this situation (although, if > >the MP3-only album doesn't really work out, They might steer away from doing > >this again in the future). ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:36:34 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: The show, LTW, etc Message-id: <3794EBE1.8DDB5612@wmich.edu> AHHHHHHHH>>>>>> I really want to hear this show!!!! I mean... REALLY! Is there anyone out there who would be so kind as to make a copy of a recording they may have... I'll pay you.... I'd offer to trade, but I have nothing of value... Please, Please... with Spiraling shapes on top! ~Sarah, I live my life in a garbage can ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-21 ******************************