Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 28 Wednesday, 28 July 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review TMBG: TED KOPPEL ON DAVE: NIGHTLINE IN PRIMETIME PROMO TMBG: I'm H. Frankenstein, BTW TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: TED KOPPEL ON DAVE: NIGHTLINE IN PRIMETIME PROMO TMBG: brave new world Re: TMBG: brave new world TMBG: Re: National tour announcment Re: TMBG: Space Ghost TMBG: Irving Plaza CD Re: TMBG: brave new world TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Brave New World review RE: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question TMBG: The Guy with the Daughters Re: TMBG: Space Ghost TMBG: I'm back! RE: TMBG: Question TMBG: 7/15 Ft. Collins & 7/16 Denver Colorado shows TMBG: To Whom Do I Owe LTW? Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question TMBG: Irving Plaza Setlist Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <57ecbb8a.24ce667f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:33:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review In a message dated 7/26/99 9:30:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cannon10@wa.freei.net writes: << Dude! that picture looks so cool. Linnel did look bored though, but Flansy looked cool busting the moves, the set is awesome. I can't wait to see it. >> What the...? How does Linnell look "bored"?? He is just standing dramatically while it is Flans' turn to sing... Because taping a music video for a tv show is soooooo boring... He must be really BORED on the Factory Showroom tour poster too.. (the yellow one..) and bla bla bla who cares.. Jordan ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:33:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review Is it just me, or does that *not* look like Flans singing his guts out? There's a guy standing in the back who looks a lot more like Flans. Plus, Flans doesn't sing "Older." Hm, guess we'll hafta wait and see! Kay ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <5be8cf5.24ce682c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:41:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review In a message dated 7/26/99 9:39:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Kaylum@aol.com writes: << Is it just me, or does that *not* look like Flans singing his guts out? There's a guy standing in the back who looks a lot more like Flans. Plus, Flans doesn't sing "Older." Hm, guess we'll hafta wait and see! >> Flansburgh sings "Time is marching on, and time is still marching on" on Older. The men in back are Dan Miller on guitar, Dan Weinkauf on bass, and Dan Hickey on drums. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <379D1342.AB75DFF0@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:02:42 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > Flansburgh sings "Time is marching on, and time is still marching on" on > Older. not in concert, though, and presumably this is some kind of live performance, right? -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <4b26defa.24ce6e16@aol.com> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:06:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Brave New World review In a message dated 7/26/99 10:03:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@tmbg.org writes: << not in concert, though, and presumably this is some kind of live performance, right? >> Dunno...its been labeled as a music video directed by Flansy...it might be lip synching. Or not. REGARDLESS, it is John Flansburgh singing in the picture, it is John Flansburgh singing on Long Tall Weekend, and it sure looks like he is screaming "TIME...!!!" Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01bed976$6af10020$234d1dce@mal01> From: "Hawaiian Frankenstein" Subject: TMBG: TED KOPPEL ON DAVE: NIGHTLINE IN PRIMETIME PROMO Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:56:57 -0500 If you're reading this at around almost 11pm central, Ted Koppel just came on Dave, and he'll presumably be talking about the magic 8part series.... Mike "Psy?" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000f01bed976$e6975bc0$234d1dce@mal01> From: "Hawaiian Frankenstein" Subject: TMBG: I'm H. Frankenstein, BTW Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:00:22 -0500 BTW, that's the real Mike Leffel... ^_^ I use that name on TmbgOFFTOPIC.... Mike "Not to confuse" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:14:53 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: Re: Message-id: <379D323B.9CD0761F@wmich.edu> > Would someone be kind enough to send me a copy of the song order from the > live Irving Plaza show last week. > > 1. I am burning a CD from the available MP3s from the show. > 2. I am going to do a limited run of copies so if you want one you will need > either something I need in trade or blank media or some other offering. Question: how much of the show is in MP3 for burning? And... would you accept and exchange of Blank CD-R's, and paid postage for a copy? ~Sarah -- Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <379FDC0A.DC0647F@conpoint.com> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:43:54 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Subject: Re: TMBG: TED KOPPEL ON DAVE: NIGHTLINE IN PRIMETIME PROMO Hawaiian Frankenstein wrote: > > If you're reading this at around almost 11pm central, Ted Koppel > just came on Dave, and he'll presumably be talking about the > magic 8part series.... > > Mike "Psy?" Leffel Ah, he didn't say a damn thing. They started talking about how they were getting OLDER, yes, and I thought this was a good reference but it wasn't. Oh well! Back to the crabbery for me! Mike "Mister Kramer, we're really not allowed to use the car to run errands!" Leffel --_CRAN BERRY SAUCE! ------------------------------ From: Moronwalk@aol.com Message-ID: <5bc817bb.24ce9ed8@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:34:16 EDT Subject: TMBG: brave new world Ha ha. In the local TV listings there is a blurb on the Brave New World series..... They get the song name wrong in a funny way. "They Might Be Giants performing 'You're Older Than You Were Before and Now You're Even Older'" = ) -Kimberly ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001b01bed7ff$96790b20$ae9da2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: brave new world Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:13:53 -0700 Speaking of funny tiles: everything I've ever read about the song it has always been titled "You're Older Than You've Ever Been" I don't think I have seen it just "Older" I wonder whats up with that......? Perhaps that's the title of the episode? -=eRiCh=- > Ha ha. In the local TV listings there is a blurb on the Brave New World > series..... > > They get the song name wrong in a funny way. > > "They Might Be Giants performing 'You're Older Than You Were Before and Now > You're Even Older'" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <379D8303.5E13B6B0@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 02:59:33 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: National tour announcment GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) exclaimed: >www.theymightbegiants.com stated: >This is an OFFICIAL rumor! In the months of September and October, the >band will be performing in California, >WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! I'll get my first chance >to see Them live! Man, I can't wait till September or October! -dex "Woooooooooohooooooooo!!!!!" is right. Usually they only make it this way every 2 years or so. So they are ahead of schedule this time. Hopefully its not gonna be another over 21 show so Dex can get in. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727143924.86777.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:39:23 PDT BigTMBGfan wrote: >In a message dated 7/26/1999 5:03:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >cannon10@wa.freei.net writes: > ><< What Fuckin' pricks! All being smug and laughing amongst eachother >as >if it > was some inside joke that a person that took time out of his >schedule to > film some stuff for there crappy little cartoon wants to know when >the >hell > he is going to be shown! Good Shit I thought people were better >than >that. > > -=eRiCh=- *Pardons his french* >> > > >I agree 110%!!! Why is it that people would do this kind of shit to >us >fans? > Is it all a big joke to them? If so, it would probably be a bit of an expensive joke. I mean, they paid Flans to be on the show, right? Maybe Leffel is right in thinking that there was some kind of falling out. Oh, well. Since I don't even get cable, I'm not too worried about this. Still, it's probably pretty annoying to those of you who would be able to watch it. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Bigger TMBG fan" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza CD Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:47:44 -0400 Hey there, we are working on a CD of the Irving Plaza Show. If anyone has any pictures worth using for cover art.....especially a shot of the front of the venue please share them with us and we just might share with you. send to Lee mailto:lees@megahits.com send to eRICH mailto:cannon10@wa.freei.net Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727151125.25828.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: brave new world Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:11:25 PDT -=eRiCh=- wrote: >Speaking of funny tiles: everything I've ever read about the song it >has >always been titled "You're Older Than You've Ever Been" I don't think >I >have >seen it just "Older" I wonder whats up with that......? Perhaps >that's the >title of the episode? You know, you could be right. When I've seen references to the song without the show, it's just been called "Older." -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "TIME...is marching on" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727151215.1849.rocketmail@web126.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:12:15 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: TMBG: Question Look I just got intrested in TMBG and I don't have any CD's yet. I was wonderin if any of you could recomemd what to get in what order. There seem to be a lot out there and i am just curious of what the better ones are. Any help is appreciated THANX -Adam "The Deranged" Gaya(pronounced Guy-a not Gay-a) PS: I am looking for someone on this list. I think her name is Nicole. I met her at Falcon Ridge this weekend and if you are reading this plz reply to Humvee_cool_@yahoo.com _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:16:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Message-ID: Oh... for once I read the list so I will grab this one and answer and let everybody yell at me... I don't think you can really choose a wrong album first... but I think it would make some sense to start with one of the earlier albums just so you can get a bit of a feel for the progression of their music. I personally started with Lincoln which was great... I know a lot of people are big Flood supporters as a first album... but I think if you move beyond Flood, even though A18 is great, you are kind of losing the opportunity to follow the progression of the band's music What do other people think? -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, A. Gaya wrote: > Look I just got intrested in TMBG and I don't have any CD's yet. I > was wonderin if any of you could recomemd what to get in what order. > There seem to be a lot out there and i am just curious of what the > better ones are. > > Any help is appreciated > THANX > > -Adam "The Deranged" Gaya(pronounced Guy-a not Gay-a) > > > PS: I am looking for someone on this list. I think her name is Nicole. > I met her at Falcon Ridge this weekend and if you are reading this plz > reply to Humvee_cool_@yahoo.com > _________________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727152148.10954.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World review Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:21:48 PDT One thing that I found interesting in this review (which I didn't read all the way through) was this: >Did you know they are reducing the elapsed time between cuts on >compact >discs -- from three seconds to one -- for people impatient to >get on with >the music? There's a set time between tracks on compact discs? I have some albums (XTC's _Skylarking_, for instance), in which there is often NO time between one track and another. I thought that the amount of time between one track and another was at the discretion of the artists and producers, not set. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "And I'm getting poorer every day...Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got married" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Malia Jackson" Subject: RE: TMBG: Question Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:26:39 -0400 Message-ID: <000d01bed844$6c936f90$015501be@mjackson9999.aisvt.bfg.com> I personally recommend starting off with the Then double CD. It's tons of nifty music conveniently compiled into two disks. Then you have to get the rest of them, in whichever order you please. -malia "doesn't get the title in quotes thing" j. -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org] On Behalf Of A. Gaya Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 11:12 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Question Look I just got intrested in TMBG and I don't have any CD's yet. I was wonderin if any of you could recomemd what to get in what order. There seem to be a lot out there and i am just curious of what the better ones are. Any help is appreciated THANX -Adam "The Deranged" Gaya(pronounced Guy-a not Gay-a) PS: I am looking for someone on this list. I think her name is Nicole. I met her at Falcon Ridge this weekend and if you are reading this plz reply to Humvee_cool_@yahoo.com _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727152947.18816.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:29:46 PDT Jish wrote: >Oh... for once I read the list so I will grab this one and answer and >let >everybody yell at me... Hey, Jish, you friggin' MORON! What do you mean by recommended an early album? Blah blah blah idiot blah blah stupid blah blah blah! Okay, I suppose that's enough yelling. Let's get to an actual reply. >I don't think you can really choose a wrong album first... but I >think it >would make some sense to start with one of the earlier albums just so >you >can get a bit of a feel for the progression of their music. > >I personally started with Lincoln which was great... I know a lot of >people are big Flood supporters as a first album... but I think if >you >move beyond Flood, even though A18 is great, you are kind of losing >the >opportunity to follow the progression of the band's music > >What do other people think? You have a point. My personal favourite is _Lincoln_, and I might recommend that as a starting point, but for something that I like to call the "Then Factor." _Then_ includes both of the first two albums, as well as some other stuff, and it's probably financially sensible to buy it in place of the first two albums. This is only if you like Them enough to want both of Their first two albums. Perhaps you can start with _Flood_, and, if you like it, you can move on to _Then_. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Why is the world in love again?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: The Guy with the Daughters Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:21:46 -0400 Hey everybody, There was a post a few days ago buy a guy that said that he went to the Irving Plaza show and took his daughters. He also said he made a good tape. Will someone please forward me this message or perhaps YOU ("the guy") are out there listening. Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <9c25e7eb.24cf46fe@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:31:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost In a message dated 7/27/99 9:40:45 AM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >If so, it would probably be a bit of an expensive joke. I mean, they paid > >Flans to be on the show, right? Maybe Leffel is right in thinking that > >there was some kind of falling out. > that or, their spokesperson is just an idiot. sarah ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:00:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: I'm back! For all three of you that might have missed me, I am indeed back from my long long trip. (BotCon rocks!) Emar, That Scary Guy. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727180919.29195.rocketmail@web107.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:09:19 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: RE: TMBG: Question Thank you. --- Malia Jackson wrote: > I personally recommend starting off with the Then > double CD. It's tons of > nifty music conveniently compiled into two disks. > Then you have to get the > rest of them, in whichever order you please. > > -malia "doesn't get the title in quotes thing" j. > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org > [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org] On Behalf > Of A. Gaya > Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 11:12 AM > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Question > > Look I just got intrested in TMBG and I don't have > any CD's yet. I > was wonderin if any of you could recomemd what to > get in what order. > There seem to be a lot out there and i am just > curious of what the > better ones are. > > Any help is appreciated > THANX > > -Adam "The Deranged" Gaya(pronounced Guy-a not > Gay-a) > > > PS: I am looking for someone on this list. I think > her name is Nicole. > I met her at Falcon Ridge this weekend and if you > are reading this plz > reply to Humvee_cool_@yahoo.com > _________________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get your free @yahoo.com address at > http://mail.yahoo.com > > > _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <379DDFAA.E754B2E2@st.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:34:50 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: 7/15 Ft. Collins & 7/16 Denver Colorado shows I agree with Jordan--the Denver LoDo concert was much better than the Ft. Collins show. And best of all, I videotaped the entire Denver show!! Here's Jordan's setlist: > -Dr Evil Intro > -Sorry I Fucked Up The Show > -JKP > -Edith Head > -Ana Ng > -Racist Friend > -Spiraling > -She's Actual Size > -Till My Head Falls Off > -Don't Let's Start > -"Say Hello To The Spotlight Ops" > -Cyclops Rock > -Particle Man --- linnell sang some bit about "when the rain comes... > we'll all have electric shock" (totally misquoted). But needless to say > it was outdoors and it was raining. > -Polka > -Spy > -Mr. Tambourine Man > -Mammal > -Older > -Istanbul, with dan miller intro > -WDTSS? with "93 million miles away and that's why it rains so much" > "ESTROGEN ESTROGEN!" > -Born In A Graveyard > -Shoehorn > -Twistin' > -So Loud > -BiYS > -Spider > -THe Guitar > -Everybody Conga (the first time i ever bothered to join the line, yay!) > -No One Knows My Plan > --------- > -She's an Angel > -Dr. Worm > -NYC Check out the 7/16 concert snapshots at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbgl.htm All of you who I still owe a copy of TMBG Video Bootleg Vol. 4 (which I _still_ haven't made yet) and would like this instead, send me email privately to arrange it. Otherwise, I'm still making the other concerts and TV appearances by TMBG available to true fans only. Details at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/order.htm (I also have a Joe Jackson video boot, and am willing to trade for other cool bands and artists.) See http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/trade.htm Russ -- WORK: HOME: STMicroelectronics Russ Josephson 1625 S. Fordham, Ste 400 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 381-3584 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 381-3660 (970) 690-1509 (cellular) mailto:Russell.JOSEPHSON@st.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.st.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <379DFCE4.D9EC7B8C@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:39:33 -0400 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: To Whom Do I Owe LTW? I offered to supply a CD-R copy of LTW weekend to several persons on the list, can't remember whooooooooooooo all it was. e-mail me if we made arrangements about this. bert rubini@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us -- My homepage - now updated with even more boring photos and mindless tedium!: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727194723.11643.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:47:23 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question > > Okay, I suppose that's enough yelling. Let's get to > an actual reply. > > >I don't think you can really choose a wrong album > first... but I >think it > >would make some sense to start with one of the > earlier albums just so >you > >can get a bit of a feel for the progression of > their music. > > > >I personally started with Lincoln which was > great... I know a lot of > >people are big Flood supporters as a first album... > but I think if >you > >move beyond Flood, even though A18 is great, you > are kind of losing >the > >opportunity to follow the progression of the band's > music > > > >What do other people think? > > You have a point. My personal favourite is > _Lincoln_, and I might recommend > that as a starting point, but for something that I > like to call the "Then > Factor." _Then_ includes both of the first two > albums, as well as some > other stuff, and it's probably financially sensible > to buy it in place of > the first two albums. This is only if you like Them > enough to want both of > Their first two albums. Perhaps you can start with > _Flood_, and, if you > like it, you can move on to _Then_. > -- Wait is there anything Differenet on Either of the first 2 albums that isnt on THen? Cause I have listened to THEN once thru all the way and same with Flood (Though I know some of the songs on that by heart) So should I just get then? Or is there other stuff on either of the other first too albums? _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727194725.11653.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:47:25 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question > > Okay, I suppose that's enough yelling. Let's get to > an actual reply. > > >I don't think you can really choose a wrong album > first... but I >think it > >would make some sense to start with one of the > earlier albums just so >you > >can get a bit of a feel for the progression of > their music. > > > >I personally started with Lincoln which was > great... I know a lot of > >people are big Flood supporters as a first album... > but I think if >you > >move beyond Flood, even though A18 is great, you > are kind of losing >the > >opportunity to follow the progression of the band's > music > > > >What do other people think? > > You have a point. My personal favourite is > _Lincoln_, and I might recommend > that as a starting point, but for something that I > like to call the "Then > Factor." _Then_ includes both of the first two > albums, as well as some > other stuff, and it's probably financially sensible > to buy it in place of > the first two albums. This is only if you like Them > enough to want both of > Their first two albums. Perhaps you can start with > _Flood_, and, if you > like it, you can move on to _Then_. > -- Wait is there anything Differenet on Either of the first 2 albums that isnt on THen? Cause I have listened to THEN once thru all the way and same with Flood (Though I know some of the songs on that by heart) So should I just get then? Or is there other stuff on either of the other first too albums? _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727200320.13284.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:03:20 PDT A. Gaya wrote: >Wait is there anything Differenet on Either of the first 2 albums >that >isnt on THen? Cause I have listened to THEN once thru all the way >and >same with Flood (Though I know some of the songs on that by heart) So >should I just get then? Or is there other stuff on either of the >other >first too albums? Everything on the first two albums is also on _Then_. Well, actually, _Then_ has a slightly different mix of "Don't Let's Start" than the pink album, but it's not a big enough difference to matter. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I don't get around how you get around" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza Setlist Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:03:02 -0400 OK, here's the set list I have from Irving Plaza. Someone please help out and tell me where Famous Polka fits in. Gigantor Intro Sorry I Fucked Up The Show JKP Edith Head Ana Ng Racist Friend Spiraling She's Actual Size Don't Let's Start Cyclops Rock She's an Angel Particle Man Maybe I Know Spy Mr. Tambourine Man Why Does the Sun Shine Tempe Arizona Story Born In A Graveyard Shoehorn With Teeth Older It's So Loud In Here Birdhouse Spider The Guitar Dr. Evil NYC Exquisite Dead Guy Istanbul Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727215144.21100.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:51:43 GMT >Everything on the first two albums is also on _Then_. Well, actually, >_Then_ has a slightly different mix of "Don't Let's Start" than the pink >album, but it's not a big enough difference to matter. Now, dammit, that's just not true! :) _Then_ has the entire pink album (including the studio Don't Let's Start), but it also has the Don't Let's Start '85 Demo Version from the sacred 22 (?) song demo tape. :) Kristina "You! Off my planet!" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:37:14 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Message-ID: On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: > Now, dammit, that's just not true! :) > > _Then_ has the entire pink album (including the studio Don't Let's Start), > but it also has the Don't Let's Start '85 Demo Version from the sacred 22 > (?) song demo tape. :) Actually, it's a fairly well documented fact that the version of Don't Let's Start on the _Then_ version of the "pink" album IS the single remix from Miscellaneous T and NOT the original studio version. It is true that among the extra material on _Then_ is a demo version of DLS, but NOWHERE on _Then_ does the original album mix of DLS appear. The only way to get this original mix is to get a copy of the debut album on vinyl, cassette or CD. Now, I don't know if this was a mistake or if it was done on purpose, and some people don't hear a big difference between the two mixes. I do, however, and I prefer the original album mix over the single mix, and I truly wish that the single mix had not been placed in the running order of the debut album on _Then_ in place of the original mix. I would like to be able to set this issue straight for once and for all. If you are a purist and want to hear the debut album in the way it was intended, you have to get an actual copy of the album because the version on _Then_ has been altered. There. Now we're all clear. MIKe www.journalx.com Last concert seen: WEEN 07/25/99 Toronto Last CD purchased: YELLO - One Second Last CD played: WEEN - God Ween Satan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990727230748.7509.rocketmail@web123.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:07:48 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Ok Thank you a lot. You guys have all been a great help to me. Sorry for makin you all go out of you r way to help me. --- Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > Hey Adam, this is Dexter Flansburgh. I'm from the > TMBG list. I just > thought I'd help you with your decision on what > albums to buy and when. > First of all, I wanna' say that you can't just buy > one. You have to get > all the albums to truly appreciate TMBG. I'd start > with Flood, because > it really showcase the whole TMBG style, and in my > opinion, it's them at > their most intelligent songwriting stage. After > that, it really doesn't > matter what albums you buy next. You should > definetly get the 2 disc set > (THEN: The Earlier Years). It's got a bunch of > tracks that aren't > available anywhere else but on those discs, and it's > got their albums > Lincoln, They Might Be Giants, and Miscellaneous T. > It would be much > wiser to buy that then all of those albums > seperatly, because this way, > you get more for your money. Oh, and make sure you > save Severe Tire > Damage (the live/greatest hits album) for last. > That's reserved only for > those who are true TMBG fans, and you don't become > one until you've got > all the other albums. Then, once you've completed > your TMBG audio > selections, go for the video, Direct From Brooklyn. > It's very cool, and > it's got about 14 videos on there. Okay, that's all. > I hope you enjoy > your purchases! -dex > > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>"You can't > grow, you don't have > enough room." > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> > > _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:50:45 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7nlfsa$kqf$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Question A. Gaya wrote in message news:19990727230748.7509.rocketmail@web123.yahoomail.com... > Ok Thank you a lot. You guys have all been a great help to me. Sorry > for makin you all go out of you r way to help me. Think nothing of it, we listies are always happy to have new TMBG fans. There isn't one of us who wouldn't help a fellow fan. *a voice pipes up*: "Er, one." Oh yeah, there is one. But other than that, we're solid. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990728004910.51779.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:49:10 GMT >Think nothing of it, we listies are always happy to have >new TMBG fans. There isn't one of us who wouldn't >help a fellow fan. > >*a voice pipes up*: "Er, one." > >Oh yeah, there is one. But other than that, we're solid. Well, and in a way, it's great, because someone says something that we all have an opinion about, and we get to argue for a day or so!! Cheers, Kristina "You! Off my planet!" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:08:23 EDT Subject: TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. i've seen no buzz about the premiere on the list here, or else i'm missing some posts. errr.. well, brave new world premieres this thursday, i saw a commercial for it tonight. wooo! sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990728035541.90420.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 03:55:36 GMT >Wait is there anything Differenet on Either of the first 2 albums >that >isnt on THen? Cause I have listened to THEN once thru all the >way and >same with Flood (Though I know some of the songs on that by >heart) So >should I just get then? Or is there other stuff on either >of the other >first too albums? Okay, one final note. Disc One of Then has the entire pink album (though the version of Don't Let's Start is different; I believe we covered that :) ) and also has these: EP B-sides: 1) We're the Replacements (also found on Miscellaneous T) 2) When It Rains It Snows (also found on Miscellaneous T) 3) The Famous Polka (also found on Miscellaneous T) 4) For Science (also found on Miscellaneous T) 5) The Biggest One (also found on Miscellaneous T) 6) Kiss Me, Son of God (alternate version) (original found on Lincoln) 7) Mr. Klaw (also found on Miscellaneous T) BONUS TRACKS: 1) Critic Intro 2) Now That I Have Everything 3) Mainstream, USA 4) Fake Out in Buenos Aires 5) Greek #3 (original, English #3 found on pink album) 6) Hope That I Get Old Before I Die (original version, later version found on the pink album) 7) I'm Def 8) Don't Let's Start (Demo version, original found on the original pink album, not the first 19 songs on this disc :) 9) '85 Radio Special Thank You Disc Two of Then includes Lincoln in its entirety, but also includes: EP B-SIDES: 1) Hello Radio (Miscellaneous T) 2) It's Not My Birthday (Miscellaneous T) 3) I'll Sink Manhattan (Miscellaneous T) 4) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon (again, Misc T) 5) The World's Address (Joshua Fried Mix, original found on Lincoln) 6) Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal (Misc T) 7) Lady Is A Tramp (Misc T) 8) Birds Fly (Misc T) BONUS TRACKS: 1) Kitten Intro 2) Weep Day 3) The Big Big Whoredom 4) I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You (adaptation, from what I don't know) 5) Become A Robot 6) Which Describes How You're Feeling (really nifty slower version) 7) Swing Is A Word (387-6962 Narrrrrrr!) 8) Doris Cunningham 9) Counterfeit Fake 10) Schoolchildren singing "Particle Man" I REALLY hope this clears things up!!! :) Kristina "387-6962 Narrrrrrrr!" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:37:24 -1000 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question I feel that if you want to see the true progression of Their music, you should do it in chronological order. Do it like the rest of us (er, a good deal of us... or at least those of us old enough, heh). But it also depends on your musical style -- what attracted you to Them in the first place? We all could prolly tell you the best album for your tastes if you let us know what you really like about Them. BTW, what *does* everyone like about Them? I mean, the one thing that pushed you over the edge and made you a true fan...? Courtney L . Patubo - cpatubo@sirius.com toonie@tmbg.org * ICQ #3762743 http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 01:38:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Question In a message dated 99-07-27 18:36:51 EDT, flippy@yucc.yorku.ca writes: << Actually, it's a fairly well documented fact that the version of Don't Let's Start on the _Then_ version of the "pink" album IS the single remix from Miscellaneous T and NOT the original studio version. >> Also, maybe it's just me, but the mix of Puppet Head on the video sounds WAY different from the _Then_ version... The accordion's out WAY more on the video version... is this the same as the pink album? Hooper "Really digging that mix, too." X ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-28 ******************************