Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 29 Thursday, 29 July 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Question RE: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. Re: TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question TMBG: Another Question Re: TMBG: Another Question Non-TMBG:Blair Witch Project Re: TMBG: Another Question Re: TMBG: Another Question Re: TMBG: Another Question Re: TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. TMBG: Fwd: ABC's `Brave New World' Praised Re: TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. Re: TMBG: Another Question Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Question Re: TMBG: Another Question Re: TMBG: Another Question TMBG: TMGB: singles Re: TMBG: TMGB: singles Fwd: TMBG: Questions + TMBG: Brave New Word Re: TMBG: Questions + TMBG: LTW art Re: TMBG: TMGB: singles Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <379EA0E0.FD5293F2@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 02:19:12 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Question "Courtney L. Patubo" wrote: > BTW, what *does* everyone like about Them? I mean, the one thing that > pushed you over the edge and made you a true fan...? clever lyrics, unassuming personalities, and extremely varied song structure and instrumentation do it for me. I like the fact that they aren't trying so much to be a hugely popular act, but rather to create good and interesting music. In their songs, we hear about 22 different instruments (accordion, piano, organ, harpsichord, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, harmonica, banjo, handbells, vibrophone, violin, cello, trumpet, trombone, tuba, euphonium, saxophone, clarinet, drums, congas, and vocals - did I forget any? [not counting various synth things - they're mostly organ]) plus the different effects on those instruments... pick bass sounds very different from finger bass which sounds very different from slap... (Linnell apparently only plays with a pick) Electric guitars can be plugged into many different boxes... the accordion sometimes gets routed through an effect or two... and the distorted vocals we hear in Stomp Box and Rat Patrol, in addition to the sped up vocals of Hotel Detective '94 and the reversed vocals in Subliminal... And lastly, John Linnell has shown that one can be skinny, have bad teeth and a large nose and still have sex appeal, so maybe there's hope for me. :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: "Malia Jackson" Subject: RE: TMBG: Question Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:12:33 -0400 Message-ID: <000001bed8f2$7936c3b0$015501be@mjackson9999.aisvt.bfg.com> "Courtney L. Patubo" wrote: > BTW, what *does* everyone like about Them? I mean, the one thing that > pushed you over the edge and made you a true fan...? An interesting question. It spawns a complicated and probably only quasi-interesting story, but since you asked... Like many I'm sure, I first heard tmbg on Tiny Toons when I was a wee lassie. My brother and I would run around singing "particle man" and "istanbul" quite incessantly. Then when I was at summer camp when I was 11, and my counselor played some of Flood in our cabin. I remember hearing "Dead" and thinking, wow, that's weird. Then, in seventh grade, someone made a tape of Apollo 18 for me, but he decided to pretend he was a DJ, and he recorded his own spoken stuff between the tracks. So I could only get through "I palindrome I" before I was completely creeped out and threw it away. Then in 9th grade, one of my classmates had Flood in the music room at school, and she played "Minimum Wage" for us all. That was it. I said, that's cool. I need that CD. I eventually got the rest, went to Montreal to watch them warm up for hootie and the blowfish (now *that's* dedication, cos hootie makes me cringe) and am eagerly awaiting the next chance I have to see them live. And she lived happily ever after. The end. Malia "still a wee lassie" J ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990728152309.20530.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:23:09 PDT sarah wrote: >i've seen no buzz about the premiere on the list here, or else i'm >missing >some posts. I haven't seen any either, so there probably hasn't been any (or else the conspiracy is against both of us). >errr.. well, brave new world premieres this thursday, i saw a >commercial >for it tonight. One thing that I'm interested in knowing about this show is: How many people are actually interested in the subject matter, and how many are just going to be watching it for its TMBG content? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I'm not getting older; I'm getting younger" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990728153340.35513.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: Re: TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:33:40 PDT >One thing that I'm interested in knowing about this show is: How many >people >are actually interested in the subject matter, and how many are just going >to be watching it for its TMBG content? I for one will be watching for both reasons. Especially now that I'm stuck without cable and I miss the Discovery channel and the History channel! (well, among others.) I don't watch ABC much, but Wednesdays they have pretty good programming on, so I'll watch for commericals tonight. Amy "It's not my birthday, it's not today....wait, yes it is!" :) mondegreen@tmbg.org _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990728154555.65620.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:45:51 PDT Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: >Okay, one final note. Disc One of Then has the entire pink album (though >the version of Don't Let's Start is different; I believe we covered that :) >) and also has these: > >EP B-sides: > >1) We're the Replacements (also found on Miscellaneous T) >2) When It Rains It Snows (also found on Miscellaneous T) >3) The Famous Polka (also found on Miscellaneous T) >4) For Science (also found on Miscellaneous T) >5) The Biggest One (also found on Miscellaneous T) >6) Kiss Me, Son of God (alternate version) (original found on Lincoln) This version is also on Misc. T. >7) Mr. Klaw (also found on Miscellaneous T) You forgot the untitled track, which also appears on Misc. T and the "Hotel Detective" EP. This EP also includes the fourth through seventh tracks that you listed here. The first three songs are from the "Don't Let's Start" EP. I believe that both of these singles are still in print (Bar/None presumably isn't as quick to let something go out of print as Elektra is), but there isn't much point in getting them unless you're one of those collector types who has to have everything. And having everything brings us to the next section. >BONUS TRACKS: > >1) Critic Intro >2) Now That I Have Everything >3) Mainstream, USA >4) Fake Out in Buenos Aires >5) Greek #3 (original, English #3 found on pink album) >6) Hope That I Get Old Before I Die (original version, later version found >on the pink album) >7) I'm Def >8) Don't Let's Start (Demo version, original found on the original pink >album, not the first 19 songs on this disc :) >9) '85 Radio Special Thank You For what it's worth, these versions of "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die" and "Don't Let's Start" appear on the 1985 demo tape, which is very hard to find these days. "I'm Def" is also on the demo tape, but it's a second or so longer than the _Then_ version. The full version is also on the out-of-print "The Statue Got Me High" EP. I'm not sure why They cut off part of the track, but I'm not sure it's worth looking for the full version. (I haven't heard the full version, but I've heard of it.) >Disc Two of Then includes Lincoln in its entirety, but also includes: > >EP B-SIDES: > >1) Hello Radio (Miscellaneous T) >2) It's Not My Birthday (Miscellaneous T) >3) I'll Sink Manhattan (Miscellaneous T) >4) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon (again, Misc T) >5) The World's Address (Joshua Fried Mix, original found on Lincoln) The remix is also on Misc. T. >6) Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal (Misc T) >7) Lady Is A Tramp (Misc T) >8) Birds Fly (Misc T) The first four are on the "They'll Need A Crane" EP. The others are on the "Purple Toupee" EP, but this was never released commercially. "Lady Is A Tramp" is a cover of a song from a Rodgers and Hart musical ("Pal Joey"), but the TMBG version doesn't include the lyrics. >BONUS TRACKS: > >1) Kitten Intro >2) Weep Day >3) The Big Big Whoredom >4) I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You (adaptation, from what I don't know) >5) Become A Robot >6) Which Describes How You're Feeling (really nifty slower version) >7) Swing Is A Word (387-6962 Narrrrrrr!) >8) Doris Cunningham >9) Counterfeit Fake >10) Schoolchildren singing "Particle Man" "Which Describes How You're Feeling" was on the demo tape. A different version of the song is on _Apollo 18_. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "It didn't really rhyme" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990728154937.1753.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:49:36 PDT EmarZero wrote: >In a message dated 99-07-27 18:36:51 EDT, flippy@yucc.yorku.ca writes: > ><< Actually, it's a fairly well documented fact that the version of > Don't Let's Start on the _Then_ version of the "pink" album IS the > >single > remix from Miscellaneous T and NOT the original studio version. >> > >Also, maybe it's just me, but the mix of Puppet Head on the video >sounds >WAY >different from the _Then_ version... The accordion's out WAY more on >the >video version... is this the same as the pink album? I don't know about this, but I do know that the video of "Hotel Detective" uses the single mix of that song. The single mix is available on _Miscellaneous T_, but not on the pink album or _Then_. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Is this confusing enough?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:08:21 EDT Subject: TMBG: Another Question I was thinking the other day about how all my friends knew TMBG as the band who did "Istanbul," "Particle Man," and maybe "Birdhouse in Your Soul." That's an experience I've seen paralelled a lot on this list, as they were the hits and they were on Tiny Toons. So, this leads to my informal poll: What TMBG song do you wish was a hit? Which song do you wish they were known for, that everyone would hear and know this was TMBG? I would have to say either "Ana Ng" or "They'll Need A Crane," as they're pretty much my favorite TMBG songs and they are interesting, intriguing, and just poppy enough to get people's attention. What would you guys say? Sam "Can one monkey rule the universe?" http://www.alpach.com ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: <8fbf1c04.24d0952e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:17:34 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Question In a message dated 7/28/99 12:31:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Samman85@aol.com writes: > I was thinking the other day about how all my friends knew TMBG as the band > who did "Istanbul," "Particle Man," and maybe "Birdhouse in Your Soul." > > That's an experience I've seen paralelled a lot on this list, as they were > the hits and they were on Tiny Toons. So, this leads to my informal poll: > > What TMBG song do you wish was a hit? > > Which song do you wish they were known for, that everyone would hear and > know > this was TMBG? > > I would have to say either "Ana Ng" or "They'll Need A Crane," as they're > pretty much my favorite TMBG songs and they are interesting, intriguing, and > > just poppy enough to get people's attention. > > What would you guys say? I don't know. Probably the STD version of "Birdhouse" or "Till My Head Falls Off". Maybe "Spiraling Shape". "Sleeping in the Flowers" and "Snail Shell" also come to mind. Maybe "The Guitar". "New York City" is a good song, but it's not really in their style, and it's not original. I'd have to say STD's "Birdhouse". Rick "Sensible to ear and sternum" Jennings ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:54:46 +0000 Subject: Non-TMBG:Blair Witch Project Saw my first article in a national UK paper about this film today. I know ALL about that film I thought to myself! As to which TMBG CD to start with; IMO one should start with Flood then A18 or John Henry and then wherever you care to wander. Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990728173949.21892.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Question Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:39:48 EDT Sam said: >What TMBG song do you wish was a hit? I've always thought Narrow Your Eyes would have been a big hit if it was a single. And Don't Lets Start WAS a single, and should have been better known. But those are my 2 votes. Amy :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:47:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Question I know I'm answering my own question here, but before Mike Leffel (who I sacrifice live fish to every night) or someone does it, I must chime in: Don't forget Careless Santa! (we all know it's Mono Puff, but we all also know it would have been said anyways) Sam "Can one monkey rule the universe?" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:47:47 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Question Message-id: <379F5052.85DF4751@wmich.edu> > What TMBG song do you wish was a hit?. > Which song do you wish they were known for, that everyone would hear and know > this was TMBG? I kinda wish "Hey Mr. DJ" or "Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" were hits.... or at least better known. Mostly 'cuz those are my favourites (as well as "Birdhouse.." even if it is almost 'too popular', its still a great song...) ~Sarah -- Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:57:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: brave new world. 29 july, 1999. I probably wouldn't of watched the show normally because its on so late (I'm in summer school) and I usually forget to tape things but if it was on at an earier time I probably would of watched it anyways. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <7546dc37.24d0c89d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:57:01 EDT Subject: TMBG: Fwd: ABC's `Brave New World' Praised dunno if this has been posted already or not (lotta mail to sort through still)... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] In a message dated 7/28/99 10:24:56 AM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >One thing that I'm interested in knowing about this show is: How many people > >are actually interested in the subject matter, and how many are just going > >to be watching it for its TMBG content? i'll probably watch it for both. i'm not a fan of ted koppel, but i like informative shows. hell, i enjoy pbs.... :| sarah From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 17:09:07 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id RAA73791 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:09:07 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo11.mx.aol.com (imo11.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.1]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id RAA73781 for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:09:06 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Alterian@aol.com) From: Alterian@aol.com Received: from Alterian@aol.com by imo11.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iSZKa07549 (14445) for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:59:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:59:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Question To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 14 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Alterian@aol.com I'd really like to see Certain People I Could Name be popular because it is a great song even though I know its not going to happen any time soon. Other songs would be like End of the Tour or They'll Need a Crane. I hear Ana Ng on the radio every so often and wasn't it one of thier other songs that is kinda known? -Amber the Transcendent From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 17:40:49 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id RAA75044 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:40:49 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo29.mx.aol.com (imo29.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.73]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id RAA75033 for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:40:48 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from HallOfEyes@aol.com) From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Received: from HallOfEyes@aol.com by imo29.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iTHRa06267 (3952) for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:57:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:57:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Question To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: HallOfEyes@aol.com Someone wrote: >5) Greek #3 (original, English #3 found on pink album) >6) Hope That I Get Old Before I Die (original version, later version found >on the pink album) Greek #3 is NOT the original version...it was made AFTER the english one. And someone else wrote: >>For what it's worth, these versions of "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die" and "Don't Let's Start" appear on the 1985 demo tape >> Hope That I Get Old Before I Die on the demo tape is the same version as on the first album. The one in the Then bonus tracks is a completely different previously unavailable version that they apparently made for a polka compilation. (I forget where I heard that, but its not the demo tape version..) Jordan From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 18:53:13 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id SAA77343 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:53:13 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (law2-f172.hotmail.com [216.32.181.172]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id SAA77334 for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:53:12 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from tubeway_army@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 67999 invoked by uid 0); 28 Jul 1999 22:52:41 -0000 Message-ID: <19990728225241.67998.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 209.153.70.18 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:52:40 PDT X-Originating-IP: [209.153.70.18] From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" To: HallOfEyes@aol.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Question Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:52:40 GMT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" >Someone wrote: 5) Greek #3 (original, English #3 found on pink album) >6) Hope That I Get Old Before I Die (original version, later version >found on the pink album) >Greek #3 is NOT the original version...it was made AFTER the english >one. Um, that's not what I meant. I meant that the original, English #3, is found on the pink album. Original, English #3. Get it? :) Kristina "Why wasn't I an English major? Why? Why? Why?" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 19:14:29 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id TAA78303 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:14:29 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from web124.yahoomail.com (web124.yahoomail.com [205.180.60.192]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id TAA78294 for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:14:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from humvee_cool_@yahoo.com) Message-ID: <19990728231437.17429.rocketmail@web124.yahoomail.com> Received: from [24.95.199.45] by web124.yahoomail.com; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:14:37 PDT Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:14:37 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Question To: LIST TMBG MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "A. Gaya" --- Samman85@aol.com wrote: > I was thinking the other day about how all my > friends knew TMBG as the band > who did "Istanbul," "Particle Man," and maybe > "Birdhouse in Your Soul." > > That's an experience I've seen paralelled a lot on > this list, as they were > the hits and they were on Tiny Toons. So, this leads > to my informal poll: > > What TMBG song do you wish was a hit? Well Lets See I would probably say Don't Let's Start cause It's my Favorite. You couldn't realy call it a hit but I do hear it on the radio Occasionaly. _____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 20:05:02 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id UAA80522 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 20:05:02 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id UAA80333 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 20:01:26 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from GATEWAY by ussenterprise.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:03:10 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <379F9A3E.8B8AFA93@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Content-Type: text/plain; charset=x-user-defined Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit References: Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Question Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Mike Leffel Samman85@aol.com wrote: > > I know I'm answering my own question here, but before Mike Leffel (who I > sacrifice live fish to every night) Keep your fish, I rarely participate in the Careless Santa thing. ^_^ Mike "But do I COMPLAIN about it? Hell no." Leffel ^_^ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 22:40:08 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id WAA85907 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:40:08 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo26.mx.aol.com (imo26.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.70]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id WAA85898 for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:40:07 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from VladAmel@aol.com) From: VladAmel@aol.com Received: from VladAmel@aol.com by imo26.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iWGNa03769 (4533) for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:39:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <767eed9e.24d118c9@aol.com> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:39:05 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMGB: singles To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: VladAmel@aol.com i have one more thing to ask: is it just me, or does anyone else here sort of question the songs They have chosen as singles? my strongest examples would be "She Was a Hotel Det.", "Snail Shell", "SEXXY", and "the Guitar". Some of the others They picked were sensible, IMO, but i'm floored as to why some of the ones above were chosen instead of so many other great songs. Just a gripe, i guess. -Brian **Hey Kids, "enjoy god in unlimited sin" <^: From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 22:50:27 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id WAA86362 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:50:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo17.mx.aol.com (imo17.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.7]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id WAA86353 for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:50:26 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from LimeZinger@aol.com) From: LimeZinger@aol.com Received: from LimeZinger@aol.com by imo17.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iUADa09400 (4319) for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:48:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <63887bb2.24d11b0f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:48:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMGB: singles To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: LimeZinger@aol.com In a message dated 7/28/99 9:40:59 PM, VladAmel@aol.com writes: > > i have one more thing to ask: is it just me, or does anyone else >here >sort of question the songs They have chosen as singles? my strongest >examples would be "She Was a Hotel Det.", "Snail Shell", "SEXXY", and "the > >Guitar". Some of the others They picked were sensible, IMO, but i'm floored > >as to why some of the ones above were chosen instead of so many other great > >songs. Just a gripe, i guess. > well, wasn't sexxy chosen by elektra? or was that just misinformation? ... i recall some story about how they wanted tmbg to change their sound... but of course, they left, so i'm inclined to believe it to be true. hotel detective. i have no idea. one of my least favourite of tmbg's. (though i LOVE the disco hotel detective on the back to skull ep) snail shell, snail shell isn't that bad. i started listening to this under-promoted non-profit alternative radio station in 1994 (which has now become just about as popular among high school kids as our k-rock-ish "the nerve" station)... and they played snail shell a bunch, and i liked it. and it made me take more notice of tmbg. and actually, that summer, on vacation, i met a little unforgettable 4 year old boy named john henry, and i remember when i heard the album title, i laughed. sarah From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 23:25:40 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id XAA87693 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:25:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo15.mx.aol.com (imo15.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.5]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id XAA87682 for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:25:39 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from VladAmel@aol.com) From: VladAmel@aol.com Received: from VladAmel@aol.com by imo15.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iUXJa07437 (2614) for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:19:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:19:04 EDT Subject: Fwd: TMBG: Questions + To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="part1_d8501d8b.24d12228_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: VladAmel@aol.com --part1_d8501d8b.24d12228_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit messed up address the first time... --part1_d8501d8b.24d12228_boundary Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Disposition: inline Return-path: VladAmel@aol.com From: VladAmel@aol.com Full-name: VladAmel Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:30:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Questions + To: tmbg-list@tmbg.list MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21 the thing i noticed about They right away when i first heard Flood was the HAppiness!! it's such happy music, and so different from what i had been listening to at the time(Nirvana, STP). Also, They're the catchiest band i've ever heard(and i've heard a lot!)....talk about hooks galore!! They're musical geniuses in every aspect-- lyrics, songwriting, instrument playing and arrangments, and Their live show's phenominal! May They live forever.... and , if i had to pick ~a~ song that i wish They were known for, it'd have to be....um....End of the Tour. hmmm...that's too new of a song, i think. Ana Ng or She's an Angel, then. or Purple Toupe. -Brian, one of the nightmare people --part1_d8501d8b.24d12228_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jul 28 23:27:55 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id XAA87886 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:27:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo12.mx.aol.com (imo12.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.2]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id XAA87877 for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:27:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Moronwalk@aol.com) From: Moronwalk@aol.com Received: from Moronwalk@aol.com by imo12.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iUFKa05147 (3952) for ; Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:25:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:25:16 EDT Subject: TMBG: Brave New Word To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Moronwalk@aol.com Hey everyone. I'm 17 (18 at the end of August) and I do a teeny bit of writing for a small newspaper in DC (i'm so non-rpofessional it hurts). I had this article written on TMBG and I thought it would be published awhile ago, but it turns out the newspaper only does ONE summer issue and resumes monthly issues during the school year. So my article is SO old and has yet to be printed. Anyway, the director of the newspaper tells me that an "ABC exec" is up for an interview on Brave New World so I can have newer info in my article. Problem is I have never done an interview before. I am so green. So, what kind of questions would you want to ask the "ABC exec". I have no clue. -Kimberly From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jul 29 00:05:29 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id AAA89701 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:05:29 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo28.mx.aol.com (imo28.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.72]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id AAA89692 for ; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:05:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Nova19@aol.com) From: Nova19@aol.com Received: from Nova19@aol.com by imo28.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iVRSa22757 (543) for ; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:04:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:04:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions + To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Nova19@aol.com I think I'd like them to be known for maybe Kiss Me, Son of God, or maybe Dead, and Twisting, and We Want a Rock, and Turn Around (so sinister!), and Stomp Box, even though its a little weird, and Spiraling Shape. And Where your Eyes Don't Go is a really good one too. I was first introduced to TMBG like so many others - through Tiny Toons. But I was too little to comprehend what was going on, so I had no idea who sang them. So those two songs became my faves, but lost in my mind. That was until I recieved the Dr. Demento 25th anniversary CDs for Christmas and saw that Particle Man was one of the songs. I found out that TMBG sang it, and so I said "Neat, now I know who sings my fave songs." Then, a couple years later, my 9th grade English teacher forced us to listen to and analyze We Want a Rock for our poetry unit. So that was it, and I bought Flood. And then bought every other album. Honestly, I love Apollo 18 now, but when I first got it, I hated it. TMBG is so great cuz Their songs are so fun both to hear and to analyze. The lyrics are cryptic, and the music is happy happy. And the songs are all different kinds of music, so that keeps it interesting and entertaining. And I think it's great that Linnell was one of People's Most Beautiful People. That was neat-o. From the beyond, Lindsey "Love is a plague in a mix-matched parade, where the castaways look so deranged." -Beck From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jul 29 01:48:04 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA93325 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:48:04 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo13.mx.aol.com (imo13.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.3]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA93316 for ; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:48:03 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Rach014@aol.com) From: Rach014@aol.com Received: from Rach014@aol.com by imo13.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id pEEIa13743 (3861) for ; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:47:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:47:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: LTW art To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Rach014@aol.com Hey guys- Does anyone know the URL where I can find the LTW art? All I can ever find are little thumbnails... Thanks! :) Rachel From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jul 29 02:02:27 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id CAA93819 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 02:02:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from sumter.awod.com (sumter.awod.com [198.81.225.1]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id CAA93808 for ; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 02:02:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from ctyner@clemson.edu) Received: from ctyner (wa0080.tnt1.awod.com [208.140.98.80]) by sumter.awod.com (8.8.7/8.8.8) with ESMTP id CAA08672 for ; Thu, 29 Jul 1999 02:02:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from ctyner@clemson.edu) Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990729015510.009653c0@mail.clemson.edu> X-Sender: ctyner@mail.clemson.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.2.0.58 Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 02:02:22 -0400 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMGB: singles In-Reply-To: <767eed9e.24d118c9@aol.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Adam Tyner I think this is an excellent question. Although Don't Let's Start didn't make much of an impact nationally, I believe if She's An Angel were released as a follow-up, the band may very well have gotten immensely popular (probably for a short time; stupid industry). DLS and Angel are both very well-written, very much in the style of the band, and are probably 2 of the most accessible songs on The Pink Album. Hotel Detective? Please! Admittedly, it's not my favorite song, but can anyone imagine it fitting into any format other than standard college rotation? Maybe that's what they were going for...I dunno...but it seems like a big mistake to me. Like Sarah said, I don't think Snail Shell was a bad choice...I find it fairly mediocre, but I could imagine it getting airplay. Same with S-E-X-X-Y...IIRC, it actually charted, although it was incredibly low. None of their singles had charted for quite some time, so S-E-X-X-Y *is* worth noting. Don't get me started on the Guitar. :-) A waste of 6 minutes of concert time, if you ask me, but since no one did, I'll shut up now. BTW, I saw Weird Al tonight. Astonishingly good. It's the only show I've ever gotten front-row-center tickets for, and my first backstage passes. :-) I shot a little over 7 rolls of film (24 exp.), so we got some *awesome* photos, I hope. -Adam At 10:39 PM 7/28/99 -0400, VladAmel@aol.com wrote: > i have one more thing to ask: is it just me, or does anyone else here >sort of question the songs They have chosen as singles? my strongest >examples would be "She Was a Hotel Det.", "Snail Shell", "SEXXY", and "the >Guitar". Some of the others They picked were sensible, IMO, but i'm floored >as to why some of the ones above were chosen instead of so many other great >songs. Just a gripe, i guess. > >-Brian **Hey Kids, "enjoy god in unlimited sin" <^: ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-29 ******************************