Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 31 Saturday, 31 July 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: a thought... TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio TMBG: Brave New World TMBG: Robert Krulwich's voice Re: TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG: Robert Krulwich's voice TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio Re: TMBG: BNW Re: TMBG: Brave New World: Older TMBG: More praise for BNW from Skeptical Inquirer Re: TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG: More praise for BNW from Skeptical Inquirer Re: TMBG: More praise for BNW from Skeptical Inquirer Re: TMBG: Singles Non-TMBG: Fwd: BARENAKED LADIES Cybercast Re: TMBG: Brave New World TMBG: Better Living Through Better Music (Update) Re: TMBG: Better Living Through Better Music (Update) Re: TMBG: Better Living Through Better Music (Update) Re: TMBG: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio TMBG: linnell's evil twin TMBG: Re: Robert Krulwich's voice NON-TMBG: Weird Al show Re: TMBG: a thought... Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG: Singles Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show Fwd: TMBG: a thought... Re: TMBG: Singles Re: TMBG: Singles Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:47:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: a thought... Message-ID: Just a thought to roll over in your brain... A great number of people on this list are teenagers who will tell you their first exposure to TMBG was seeing the videos on Tiny Toons. In 5 years are we going to have a list full of middle aged men and women who will tell you their first exposure to TMBG was through Brave New World? :) hehe... kinda scary... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:19:46 -0400 From: Andrew Message-ID: <37A14401.B7395A7@neo.lrun.com> Organization: Road Runner High Speed Online -- Northeast Ohio Subject: TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio that's one quality promo cd... i love dr. evil :-) Jay G. wrote: > Go here to listen to Realaudio files of 3 tracks > off the promo CD: "What We Did This Summer" > > You're Not The Boss of Me > Dr. Evil > Cyclops Rock > > http://www.muohio.edu/~combsmc/tmbg/ > JJRRutgers posted this URL in the chat room. > > -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:02:37 +0100 From: simon Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio In article <7nr94c$15sr$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." writes >Go here to listen to Realaudio files of 3 tracks >off the promo CD: "What We Did This Summer" > Nice title! Where did this person get it? -- simon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990730133948.45535.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: TMBG: Brave New World Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:39:47 GMT Okie, I'm kinda in the same boat as Emar. Stupid psychopaths. Anyway, what I want from some kind soul is a copy of BNW. I can't offer anything in trade, but I'll pay postage and get you a tape. Benefits of working in a TV studio. ;P Anyway, if anyone wants to help, email me off-list. :) Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:59:01 -0400 From: "Wen-Po Tsai" Message-ID: <7nsbao$1mpc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Robert Krulwich's voice Has anyone else noticed that Robert Krulwich (who hosts BNW) sounds uncannily like 20/20's John Stossel? -Dyanne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:58:18 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Message-ID: <19990730.100859.2718.13.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: polly j maloiseau >Okie, I'm kinda in the same boat as Emar. Stupid psychopaths. i'm in the same boat as emar, too, because i'm an idiot and FORGOT that brave new world was on. blllaaaaah. :( >Anyway, what I want from some kind soul is a copy of BNW. I can't >offer anything in trade, but I'll pay postage and get you a tape. Benefits >of working in a TV studio. ;P the same goes for me: i can provide a tape and postage, if only some person might take pity on my insolence .. >Anyway, if anyone wants to help, email me off-list. :) and the same goes for me. i would be forever grateful. :) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:32:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: Robert Krulwich's voice Message-ID: OK, I thought I was insane and would not bring this up... but YES... they sound exactly alike and it was so weird! They both do the same kinds of news stories (altho as I remember Stossel's are a lot more fluff) and they sound exactly the same... spooky -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Wen-Po Tsai wrote: > Has anyone else noticed that Robert Krulwich (who hosts BNW) sounds > uncannily like 20/20's John Stossel? > > -Dyanne > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:11:56 -0600 From: Chadd VanZanten Message-ID: <37A1CECC.6C37AE3C@caceng.com> Organization: C.A. Cartwright Engineers Subject: TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio "Jay G." wrote: >Go here to listen to Realaudio files of 3 tracks >off the promo CD: "What We Did This Summer" Pretty cool. What are the chances of getting these tracks in .mp3? Okay then, Chadd ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990730164121.11348.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:41:21 PDT Jason Fickley wrote: >uh, spoilers or something if you haven't seen Brave New World > > >Well, I think BNW was interesting. I figured the TMBG content would >be >relatively small, but it was still cool. I think it was worked into the show quite well. I was fearing that there would be some sort of "musical break" in which TMBG played, but there was actually transition into and out of the song. I liked the show (even the parts that had absolutely nothing to do with TMBG), and the video was excellent. I'm hoping that we can see it on a future video compilation (without the announcer talking over the solo). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Master of the one-second commerical" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990730164325.57819.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World: Older Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:43:25 PDT sarah wrote: >In a message dated 7/29/99 10:25:42 PM, jbparke@juno.com writes: > >Linnell is looking a little bit older, especially during the > > >close-ups, dontcha think? > >actually, he looked a wee bit younger if anything. He's younger than he's ever been, and now he's even younger. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Also master of the pointless post" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:50:02 -0400 From: "Wen-Po Tsai" Message-ID: <7nsorv$1uou$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: More praise for BNW from Skeptical Inquirer ABC NIGHTLINE PRIMETIME DELIGHTS WITH "BRAVE NEW WORLD" SERIES I saw parts of the first episode last night and this series promises to be outstanding. A real gem of science-based, thought provoking network television. It would be difficult to imagine anything else from Ted Koppel and Nightline. --MN O wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, That has such people in't! - Miranda, Act V of Shakespeare's "The Tempest" ABCNEWS' Nightline returns to the prime-time lineup this summer with an eight-part series, Brave New World, anchored by Ted Koppel and reported by Robert Krulwich. Nightline in Primetime: Brave New World explores how the fabric of our world is changing in the most fundamental ways. The series will air on eight consecutive Thursdays, from 10-11 p.m. ET, on ABC beginning July 29. What's it all about? Eight stories that describe fundamental changes going on right under our noses - if we'd only pause to notice - stories that are already transforming the nature of families, our relationship with machines, human reproduction. In the process, Krulwich experiments with traditional ways of telling news on television, bringing together a variety of artists, scholars and performers (including the series' own "house band," They Might Be Giants) to explore complex issues of the human spirit. Krulwich joins with Professor Stephen Jay Gould of Harvard University, choreographer Bill T. Jones, a variety of robots, animators, Jane Curtin, Buck Henry and Buster Keaton and many others to examine eight extraordinary stories. Nightline in Primetime: Brave New World tells the following eight stories over eight weeks: The Brave New World Broadcasts THURSDAY, JULY 29 (10-11 p.m. ET) "Wired for Speed" - What is it about speed that is so attractive? This broadcast looks at how machines are speeding up the pace of life. Can we, will we, could we ever slow down? In this program, Robert Krulwich explores the tempo of human life with Michael Malone, editor of Forbes ASAP magazine. The program also features: Silicon Valley pioneer Regis McKenna; Performance artist David Pleasant; They Might Be Giants, performing "You're Older Than You Were Before And Now You're Even Older"; Silent screen actor/director Buster Keaton having a multi-task lunch; The cartoons of New Yorker magazine cartoonist Bill Steig; Philosopher Jacob Needleman; Mary, the short-order cook; Video artists Josh and Adam, in the role of brain cells in Mary's brain. THURSDAY, AUG. 5 (10-11 p.m. ET) "Man and Machine" - We are putting more and more machines in our bodies, artificial knees, kidneys, retinas ... what happens when machines enter the brain? What happens when people and their machines become one? Robert Krulwich and computer guru (and Disney fellow) Danny Hillis discuss these questions. The program also features: Choreographer Bill T. Jones teams up with digital artists to create "Ghostcatching," a dance that lives entirely in a computer; They Might Be Giants in a man vs. machine duel with a drum-playing robot from MIT; The eerie and beautiful robotic sculptures of Alan Rath; A squad of rocket-bearing penguins from filmmaker Tim Burton; Computer pioneer and inventor Ray Kurzweil, author of The Age of Spiritual Machines. THURSDAY, AUG. 12 (10-11 p.m. ET) "What is Family?" - There are so many ways now to create a family ... what makes a family a family? Robert Krulwich visits the home of Doug and Jan VanDrie in Grand Rapids, Mich. Doug is an obstetrician and Jan is a trained nurse working for an adoption agency. Over the years, Jan has developed a habit: When she sees children available for adoption lingering in the files month after month and no one taking them, she wonders how they might do in her home. The VanDries now have 14 children from all over the world, including Brazil, Korea, the Philippines, Bangladesh, an African-American boy from Texas and three biological children. This broadcast tells the story of one couple transforming a group of children from different places, different biological parents, arriving at different ages with different languages, into a family. THURSDAY, AUG. 19 (10-11 p.m. ET) "Why Not Clone a Human?" - Robert Krulwich talks with Princeton University's Lee Silver about cloning in a broadcast that features: Stephen Jay Gould of Harvard University discussing Siamese twins; Jane Curtin and Buck Henry in the role of evil parents; Video artists Josh and Adam explaining how to clone sheep DNA; Plus, the Jody Oberfelder Dance Project performing a dancing baby ballet, "Rock Me Mama"; And, the photographs of American artist Roni Horn. THURSDAY, AUG. 26 (10-11 p.m. ET) "The Sixth Extinction?" - Creatures, big and small, are disappearing at an alarming rate. Yes, that has happened five times before, when the Earth was hit by an incoming rock or a sudden climate change. But this time, since humans are doing the damage, and humans - unlike meteors - can think, maybe this time humans can live through a mass extinction, maybe even prosper? Robert Krulwich talks with paleontologist David Jablonski of the University of Chicago and The Field Museum. The program also features: The story of a bird long believed to be extinct: The Cahow, which disappeared 350 years ago, and a little boy who had a hunch the bird was still out there, somewhere . Jazz musician and roach exterminator Jason "Jewell" Noon; David Quammen, author, adventurer and extinction buff; They Might Be Giants celebrate the greatest weed on Earth: Us; Video artists Josh and Adam show what happens when there are too many of us: An essay on population growth. THURSDAY, SEPT. 2 (10-11 p.m. ET) "Looking for Life" - Suppose we do find life in our solar system? Most probably it won't be a big, green, scary movie alien, but a little microbe in a rock. What's the big deal? What kind of conversation can you have with a microbe? A very interesting one, we think. Robert Krulwich talks with Neil Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium at New York's American Museum of Natural History. The program also features: Photographs of imaginary tourists on the moon by Yoshio Itagaki; The puppets of Theodora Skipitaris bring Fermi's Paradox to life; A Voltaire short story turned into a comic book adventure: "Micromegas: a 122,000-foot-tall space adventurer"; They Might Be Giants performing the ballad of a true-life story: The human cold germ that went to the moon and lived to tell the tale. THURSDAY, SEPT. 9 (10-11 p.m. ET) "Hope: A Case Study" - What happens when very smart, cutting-edge scientists face an ordinary, garden-variety family tragedy. What's more important: A big brain or a big heart? Robert Krulwich reports on: Two brain surgeons - husband and wife - in New York City who deal daily with dramatic, high-risk patients; both try to be top-flight surgeons, cutting-edge researchers, teachers, with time left for their two little girls and rigorous exercise. And while they hope to have it all . if anything goes wrong, they can't; Two accomplished scientists, both experts on the brain, who happen to have brain-damaged children. Yes, they know more than most parents in their situation; but does knowing more help? THURSDAY, SEPT. 16 (10-11 p.m. ET) "Beyond Atoms" - Atoms are small, but quarks are smaller. And now, even smaller than quarks, a new notion of what everything in the universe is made of: Dancing, vibrating, pulsating "strings." A musical tribute to the New Physics, featuring Robert Krulwich's conversation with Professor Brian Greene, author of The Elegant Universe. Also featured: The Emerson String Quartet perform Beethoven and Bach to bring the musical metaphors of String Theory alive; They Might Be Giants explore particle physics; Video artists Josh and Adam on everything you ever wanted to know about general relativity and quantum mechanics. Tom Bettag is the executive producer of the Nightline in Primetime: Brave New World series. Ted Koppel is the anchor. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:28:56 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Message-id: <37A1EEE7.CD2A7F40@wmich.edu> v^v Jeffro v^v began.... >So what do we all think about the Brave New World thingamajig? Pretty cool. I found it rather interesting and enjoyed 'Older' very much (i just love that song. I taped the whole show (without commercials) on an 8hr tape... so all the episodes should fit nicely. It seems like something worth keeping. If I had another VCR I'd be happy to make copies for people... but alas... I do not. >Linnell is looking a little bit older, especially during the >close-ups, dontcha think? Indeed. As I was watching I thought "Wow, John looks kinda old" But then again he is 40... I guess he's just showing it. He's still a hottie though. sarah (of LimeZinger fame)... >was *i* the only one who thought of tmbg when they showed the giant skull >head in the beginning? c'mon! :) Oooo... me too. It was surely a TMBG reference... Okay, maybe not. But it certainly made my brain go *bing* TMBG!!! Woo--- oh, it's just a skull that reminds me of them... ah well... its still cool Jish had a scary revelation... >In 5 years are we going to have a list full of middle aged men and women >who will tell you their first exposure to TMBG was through Brave New >World? :) That is a scary thought... but I kinda doubt that BNW will have the effect of Tiny Toons. Although *AnYtHiNg IS pOsSibLe* And on a final note..... I was rather impressed that the theme music for the show was done by TMBG. Not what I expected. I liked it much, it was not your typical TMBG music... just another showcase of our boys magnificent, diverse talent. Now, back to your regularly scheduled email... ~Sarah "You know my name, look up the number" -- Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck Currently Listening to The Beatles Anthology 2, Disk 2. http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37A1EDD4.3E5EF424@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:24:20 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: More praise for BNW from Skeptical Inquirer Wen-Po Tsai wrote: > metaphors of String Theory alive; They Might Be Giants explore particle > physics; please let this not be what I think it's going to be... -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:39:56 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: More praise for BNW from Skeptical Inquirer Message-ID: <19990730.143959.8390.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >> metaphors of String Theory alive; They Might Be Giants explore particle >> physics; >please let this not be what I think it's going to be... No no no. Not Particle Man. Beings that Particle Man has little to do with actual particles or physics for that matter, it would be kind of absurd. There's that yet-to-be-finished song on String Theory, and I assume that this is the song in question. ever-sincere, eriKa, who thinks Linnell is aging quite gracefully, actually. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:50:53 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles Message-ID: <19990730.150533.8590.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein >"Birdhouse" WAS a single, you idiot! Actually, you're not really an idiot. I'm not >sure if that single was ever released commercially. It was just "Birdhouse" and a >B-side from _Flood_ ("Hot Cha," I think). I think there was a German CD release of Birdhouse...it had BHIYS, Hot Cha, Ant, and I think one more. As far as I know, there aren't any US Birdhouse releases, aside from radio promos. Derek "Uh, dummy heads...again!" - JF ________________________________________________________________ Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use -- Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web! Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:55:28 -0400 Subject: Non-TMBG: Fwd: BARENAKED LADIES Cybercast Message-ID: <19990730.150533.8590.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein Dunno why I got this, but since some people on this list are BNL fans, I decided to forward this. Use it as you will. Derek "Uh, dummy heads...again!" - JF BARENAKED LADIES Live from Mansfield, MA Audio Cybercast Friday, July 30, 9:00 PM (ET), 6:00 PM (PT) Go To: http://www.sonicnet.com/channels or http://www.barenakedladies.sonicnet.com ____________________________________________________ Don't let 'South Park' confuse you, Canada's got the goods! Barenaked Ladies blend of rollicking pop and clever rock have made them one of the biggest bands you never heard of. Their latest effort 'Stunt' promises to be their coolest record yet! If you dig smarty-pants pop and naked ladies, then check out this audio simulcast in support of a Pay Per View Cable TV Broadcast of them LIVE from Mansfield, Mass! (You will need the real player plug-in). ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990730190721.81955.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:07:21 PDT Sarah wrote: >Jish had a scary revelation... > >In 5 years are we going to have a list full of middle aged men and > >women >who will tell you their first exposure to TMBG was through > > >Brave New World? :) > >That is a scary thought... but I kinda doubt that BNW will have the >effect of Tiny Toons. Although *AnYtHiNg IS pOsSibLe* Do you mean it's a scary thought that people would be introduced to TMBG through Brave New World, or that BNW won't have the same effect as Tiny Toons? I think that the latter is fairly scary. I mean, Tiny Toons had its moments, but there are much better cartoons out there. You're probably right in thinking that Tiny Toons will have more effect, though, largely because of the much greater number of episodes. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Brave New Tiny Toons" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Hypnotic Clambake, Square Dance Messiah _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:30:46 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7nstoo$22jg$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Better Living Through Better Music (Update) The TMBG rare mp3 site, "Better Living Through Better Music" changed it's URL today. the new URL for it is: http://www.twistid.com/tmbg As well as changing the URL, Adam Varn has also added to his site the complete TMBG demo tape and more mp3s from the 7/19/99 webcast. Finally, for those looking for an mp3 version of the demo for "Cyclops Rock," a 56kbps, 22Khz version can be found on his site as well. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990730193344.38052.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Better Living Through Better Music (Update) Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:33:44 PDT Jay G. wrote: >As well as changing the URL, Adam Varn has >also added to his site the complete TMBG demo tape >and more mp3s from the 7/19/99 webcast. Which of the tracks from the demo tape are exactly the same as the versions of the songs on other albums? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "I think about the dirt that I'll be wearing for a shirt" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:13:16 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7nt08d$24va$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Better Living Through Better Music (Update) Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Jay G. wrote: > >As well as changing the URL, Adam Varn has > >also added to his site the complete TMBG demo tape > >and more mp3s from the 7/19/99 webcast. > > Which of the tracks from the demo tape are exactly the same as the versions > of the songs on other albums? According to the discography at www.tmbg.org , the songs that are the same on both the demo tape and S/T album are: Toddler Hi-Way 32 Footsteps Chess Piece Face Rabid Child Alienation's for the Rich Also, these songs from the demo tape appear on Then: Which Describes How You're Feeling Don't Let's Start I'm Def Become A Robot Hope That I Get Old Before I Die So only 8 songs from the demo tape are commercially unavailable. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001d01bedad5$eced0c80$e49da2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:53:13 -0700 I wonder who got these promo cd's... and what the reason for doing it was. I want! I want! -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:57:51 -0400 From: scratch Message-ID: <37A21FDF.27690BDB@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio Chadd VanZanten wrote: > > "Jay G." wrote: > > >Go here to listen to Realaudio files of 3 tracks > >off the promo CD: "What We Did This Summer" > > Pretty cool. What are the chances of getting these tracks in .mp3? Depends what you mean. I converted them with ra2wav, and am uploading them to xooming.to/tmbgland (cyclops rock is already up), but they still sound just as bad. If you mean *quality* mp3s, then I guess the only option is if anyone knows this JJRRutgers guy, they could ask him. Unless someone else has this CD. Anyone? -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:34:53 GMT From: crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) Message-ID: <37a21a6e.9401997@news.mindspring.com> Organization: Mindspring Subject: TMBG: Re: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio "Jay G." wrote: >Go here to listen to Realaudio files of 3 tracks >off the promo CD: "What We Did This Summer" > >You're Not The Boss of Me >Dr. Evil >Cyclops Rock Hmm, I have got to get me one of these! ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <38d4b5e6.24d3a1e5@aol.com> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:48:37 EDT Subject: TMBG: linnell's evil twin i tune on comedy central every night at 7 (est) to watch the daily show repeat, and usually end up catching the closing credits of a saturday night live rerun (which airs at 6 est). right now, they've been playing the '96-'97 season (i think..somewhere 'round there, 'cos mark mckinney is in the cast) ....anyway.. on tonight's, on the side of the cast mob there under the credits, fred wolf was there too... he looks just like mr. linnell. it's pretty damn creepy. anyway, i just thought i'd mention it. i don't know if that episode will rerun later tonight or not, but... look for him. almost time for bnl ppv.. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:47:45 -0400 From: "Asa Pillsbury" Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Re: Robert Krulwich's voice Wen-Po Tsai wrote in message news:7nsbao$1mpc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > Has anyone else noticed that Robert Krulwich (who hosts BNW) sounds > uncannily like 20/20's John Stossel? > > -Dyanne No, he just acted like Stossel - see my other post. "I nearly cried when Linnell was impaled by Darth Maul, but I'm glad Obi-Wan Flansburgh cut Darth Maul in half and sent him down a bottomless pit." - MisterMe ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907310508.BAA67978@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:09:17 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show I saw several people with TMBG shirts on at the Pittsburgh Weird Al show tonight. Any of you listees attend? I had my orange TMBG "Enjoy" shirt on... --Jason-- ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:08:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: a thought... In a message dated 7/30/1999 2:47:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jish@cmu.edu writes: << A great number of people on this list are teenagers who will tell you their first exposure to TMBG was seeing the videos on Tiny Toons. In 5 years are we going to have a list full of middle aged men and women who will tell you their first exposure to TMBG was through Brave New World? :) >> I am one of the teenagers that can say that my first exposure to TMBG was Tiny Toons. After hearing "Particle Man" and "Istanbul", I thought that they weren't real. I asked my older brother about them, and he whipped out "Flood". From that day forth, TMBG has, and probably will be my favorite band. Mike Remember, the only thing better than food, is free food!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990731011300.00964140@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:14:59 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show I wasn't at the Pittsburgh show, but I was at the Myrtle Beach show...oodles of fun. I honestly think this is one of the best experiences I've *ever* had in my entire life. The seats I had were *killer* -- front row, slightly-right-of-center. The Palace has a pretty open photography policy, so my dad and I brought in a bunch of his professional gear and between the 2 of us, we took...get this...7 rolls of 24-shot high-speed film (plus a little bit of an 8th roll, which I'll talk about in a bit). Anyway, needless to say, the show was fantastic. He played (in this order) Gump, Polka Power!, Jerry Springer, My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder, The Night Santa Went Crazy, Dare To Be Stupid, It's All About The Pentiums, Germs, One More Minute, Like A Surgeon, the Medley (Beat It, Laundry Day, a parody of Thank U, a parody of My Heart Will Go On, Another One Rides The Bus, Grapefruit Diet, Pretty Fly For A Rabbi, and I'm sure a few others as well), Smells Like Nirvana, Bedrock Anthem, Fat, Amish Paradise, and the Saga Begins & Yoda for an encore. As you can probably tell from that, yeah, I got a setlist. I don't know why I love those silly things, but I don't feel complete if I don't get one. :-) After the show, I talked to Steve (the bassist) and Ruben (the keyboardist, who wanted to be called Ricky Martin), both of whom were very cool. Steve sort of brought me into an argument he was having with one of the managers of the Palace (he couldn't find his son, and it was the Palace's fault, and I was inadvertently sucked into the conversation, while asking for a photo with him), and Ruben is just too funny. He took a couple of photos with me, and then some photos with me, Ruben, and the 2 cheerleaders from Smells Like Nirvana (who were absolutely stunning; if they don't turn out, I'll be very unhappy). Then, I was able to score a couple of backstage passes, the first I've ever gotten for a concert! Al still remembered who I was (which made me very happy), and we talked for a little bit, took photos, got autographs,etc. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get the chance to say hi to Jim again or to see Bermuda (who I've known through alt.music.weird-al for close to 4 years now), but I'm sure there'll be more dates scheduled in the South sometime early next year. (I also got to talk with Richard something-or-another, Rainbow Heron, and Fred from alt.music.weird-al, which was cool.) I'm going to give my Weird Al website a makeover as soon as I get he-man.org and a couple other projects off the ground, and all of those photos (or at least the ones that turn out) will be up there. -Adam At 01:09 AM 7/31/99 -0400, Jason Fickley wrote: >I saw several people with TMBG shirts on at the Pittsburgh Weird Al show >tonight. Any of you listees attend? I had my orange TMBG "Enjoy" shirt on... > >--Jason-- ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: <1e663148.24d3e040@aol.com> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:14:40 EDT Subject: TMBG: Brave New World I'm sure that this question has been answered, but I must've missed it. How many BNW shows are TMBG performing on, and on which ones? Mike Remember, the only thing better than food, is free food!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:27:41 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles Message-id: <37A2894C.97C75EA0@wmich.edu> Derek A Klein wrote: > >"Birdhouse" WAS a single, you idiot! Actually, you're not really an > idiot. I'm not >sure if that single was ever released commercially. It > was just "Birdhouse" and a >B-side from _Flood_ ("Hot Cha," I think). > > I think there was a German CD release of Birdhouse...it had BHIYS, Hot > Cha, Ant, and I think one more. As far as I know, there aren't any US > Birdhouse releases, aside from radio promos Ant??????? I don't believe I am familiar with this Ant..... ~Sarah, by rocket to the moon.... -- Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990731011818.00966d60@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:23:14 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show Sorry to post another off-topic message, but I'd like to make a quick comment about this post: I got flamed pretty hard on the TMBG Musings board for mentioning that my father went with me. Although I bought the tickets back in *March*, I spent 4 months trying to give that ticket away. I couldn't find a single person interested in a free front row ticket (bizarre), as all of my friends were either working or out of town, so I ended up giving it to my father. It worked out pretty well, though, especially in the photography department, since my father's a professional photographer. :-) Just paranoid that someone will make fun of me for saying I went to a concert with my dad at my age (21, if anyone's curious). I'm a bit lucky in that my father's not a fuddy-duddy who thinks James Taylor is "keen". Actually, I got into Weird Al in the first place by taking my dad's copy of Al's eponymous debut *way* back in 1983. :-) -Adam At 01:14 AM 7/31/99 -0400, Adam Tyner wrote: >The Palace has a pretty open photography policy, so my dad and I brought >in a bunch of his professional gear and between the 2 of us, we took...get >this...7 rolls of 24-shot high-speed film (plus a little bit of an 8th >roll, which I'll talk about in a bit). ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: <15a414ca.24d3e290@aol.com> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:24:32 EDT Subject: Fwd: TMBG: a thought... In a message dated 7/31/1999 1:21:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, BigTMBGfan writes: << In a message dated 7/31/1999 1:09:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, BigTMBGfan@aol.com writes: << From that day forth, TMBG has, and probably will be my favorite band. >> Typo, what I really meant, was TMBG has, and probably will ALWAYS be my favorite band. Mike Remember, blah blah blah... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] In a message dated 7/31/1999 1:23:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: << Ant??????? I don't believe I am familiar with this Ant..... >> I too am not familiar with this song? Is there a copy of it anywhere? Mike Remember, something about free food is better...I forget... From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat Jul 31 01:28:07 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA90685 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:28:07 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from sumter.awod.com (sumter.awod.com [198.81.225.1]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA90676 for ; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:28:05 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from ctyner@clemson.edu) Received: from ctyner (wa0060.tnt1.awod.com [208.140.98.60]) by sumter.awod.com (8.8.7/8.8.8) with ESMTP id BAA12883 for ; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:28:04 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from ctyner@clemson.edu) Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990731012726.0096bb80@mail.clemson.edu> X-Sender: ctyner@mail.clemson.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.2.0.58 Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:27:57 -0400 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles In-Reply-To: <37A2894C.97C75EA0@wmich.edu> References: <19990729152624.10642.qmail@hotmail.com> <19990730.150533.8590.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Adam Tyner Ant is a lovely song of Flans', also on the Istanbul single. -Adam At 01:27 AM 7/31/99 -0400, Sarah wrote: >Ant??????? I don't believe I am familiar with this Ant..... From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat Jul 31 01:29:28 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA90801 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:29:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo27.mx.aol.com (imo27.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.71]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA90792 for ; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:29:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from LimeZinger@aol.com) From: LimeZinger@aol.com Received: from LimeZinger@aol.com by imo27.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iAWNa01390 (3988) for ; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:28:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <19cc55ce.24d3e392@aol.com> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:28:50 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: LimeZinger@aol.com In a message dated 7/31/99 12:24:07 AM, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: >Just paranoid that someone will make fun of me for saying I went to a >concert with my dad at my age (21, if anyone's curious). I'm a bit lucky > >in that my father's not a fuddy-duddy who thinks James Taylor is >"keen". my mom thinks james taylor is keen, but her favourite band is moxy fruvous. go figure. she also loves tmbg and goes with me to shows... because she likes the bands. and i'll be 18 in about a month. sarah From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat Jul 31 01:44:49 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA91446 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:44:49 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from pisces.tcg.sgi.net (pisces.tcg.sgi.net [209.166.160.37]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA91437 for ; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:44:48 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@tmbg.org) Received: from tmbg.org (dap-209-114-166-64.pm4-1-s2.eth.pgh.pa.stargate.net [209.114.166.64]) by pisces.tcg.sgi.net (StarGate/4.0.24) with ESMTP id BAA23010 for ; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:44:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <37A28D46.EF33105F@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:44:38 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.6 [en] (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en,ja MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show References: <199907310508.BAA67978@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Lawrence P Solomon Jason Fickley wrote: > I saw several people with TMBG shirts on at the Pittsburgh Weird Al show > tonight. Any of you listees attend? I had my orange TMBG "Enjoy" shirt on... I was there wearing my Severe Tire Damage accordion shirt... I spotted someone wearing the bugs shirt, but was too far away to say anything. I was supposed to be in section 9, row C, but I had a bunch of friends in row A of section... 3? I guess... front and center right behind the boxes... and there was an empty seat that no one claimed, so I stayed there the whole time. :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat Jul 31 01:55:55 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA91823 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:55:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo20.mx.aol.com (imo20.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.10]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA91813 for ; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:55:53 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Azelma1115@aol.com) From: Azelma1115@aol.com Received: from Azelma1115@aol.com by imo20.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iPMVa28682 (4456) for ; Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:55:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:55:16 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 14 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Azelma1115@aol.com In a message dated 7/31/99 1:30:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: > In a message dated 7/31/99 12:24:07 AM, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: > > >Just paranoid that someone will make fun of me for saying I went to a > >concert with my dad at my age (21, if anyone's curious). I'm a bit lucky > > > >in that my father's not a fuddy-duddy who thinks James Taylor is > >"keen". > > > my mom thinks james taylor is keen, but her favourite band is moxy fruvous. > go figure. she also loves tmbg and goes with me to shows... because she > > likes the bands. and i'll be 18 in about a month. > > > sarah Jeez! It bugs me so much when people think they're too *cool* to go anywhere with their family. I just wanna say "Hey snotnose! They put yup with your [no, I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just kids today] stupid crap for this many years, you're lucky they'll go anywhere with you at this point!" Also, and this one's really out of nowhere, I'm also tired of all those angst-ridden teenagers. 1. They don't know what real problems are, and 2. They are just melodramatic kids, who wish they had real problems, just so that they could feel more *grown-up*. And now *I* feel really paranoid and am afraid that someone is going to make fun of me for posting this. And also, I'm 19. Wow, I rarely post to this list, then out of nowhere I post total weirdness such as this. Beth ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-31 ******************************