Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 10 Tuesday, 10 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: everything you wanted to know about the new candy butchers TMBG: Re: Insect Hospital TMBG: new Music??? TMBG: Hatch Shell 8/12 TMBG: Long Tall Weekend! TMBG: Tv appeareances TMBG: Time 100 TMBG: import cds Re: TMBG: import cds Re: TMBG: Tv appeareances TMBG: Where is Spitting Contest?!? Re: TMBG: Where is Spitting Contest?!? Re: TMBG: Where is Spitting Contest?!? Re: TMBG: Tv appeareances Re: TMBG: Time 100 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: <8921d2d.24dfcb6f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 02:13:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: everything you wanted to know about the new candy butchers making a rare appearence... album august 31st, conan sept 8th, currently touring the world with BNL (huh??) check out the new official web at www.candybutchers.com... new album is less than perfection but please dont tell mike i said that. also, join the fan mailing list at onelist.com. like this list only smaller also, everyone in ny, come see me n' lisas band on thursday at the spiral lounge... mike viola is invited but will probably not attend. cest la vie, big rock star. email me for details or to get on our thrilling emailig list insect hospital was just a rumored album title after factory show room ~liz ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 03:08:01 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Insect Hospital True there may be no videos for SEXXY or NYC but I made a video for spiraling shape for my video production class at school! It turned out pretty good too. some how some way i'd like to get it on the net! ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <63bf6efd.24dfdb0e@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 03:19:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: new Music??? can anybody explain this? i got it from theymightbegiants.com: "..and FREE MUSIC! We are also about to send out some free MP3 files, so, again, tell your friends." i was just wondering if this meant "older" at e music or something newer. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E456413FE582@mail.schicktech.com> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Hatch Shell 8/12 Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:25:04 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, Does anyone know if TMBG is playing at the 8/12 WFNX Hatch Shell show? I wrote to WFNX and they just said that Cake is playing at 6. There's usually three bands, not just one, so I figure maybe TMBG is going to play again, but I don't know for sure. Anyone in Boston hear anything on the radio? Please let us know! Love, Rob Plass ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <22e99233.24e08b02@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:50:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend! Yes, yes, I finally got to hear it today!!! I know most of you have already heard these songs many times, and some of them I've heard many times, too, but it's still exciting to get a new Giants release :) First of all, let me say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this "cd," and I expected a lot :) If you haven't gotten yourself a copy yet somehow, believe me, it's WELL worth the effort. Drinking--another classic Giant instrumental--great way to start things off, and much more satisfying than "Severe Tire Damage Theme." She Thinks She's Edith Head--totally retro, baby This song almost commands you to do some twistin'. I enjoyed the live version I heard on TDK's site awhile back, but this is much clearer and really brings out the charm of the song. Love the piano intro! Maybe I Know--This version is bouncier and peppier than the almost solemn way they do it live, and the change does the song good. I dare you to keep from humming this tune all day after hearing it--but then, that goes for almost every song on here Rat Patrol--Wow, TOTALLY different from the acapella das version, even more so than I expected--the way Linnell sings "I'm on rat patrol" is too funny :) Token Back To Brooklyn--my only real disappointment since, if they were gonna use this song again, I wish they would've used the DAS version. I guess it's good for those who were unable to find it on FS, hehe Older--Yay, finally a clear studio version for my answering machine! Identical to the versin they did on Brave New World, and I'm glad Flans got to do the "Time is marching on" part this time. I knew this song would become a TMBG classic the first time I heard it live. Operators are Standing By--Identical to the DAS version, as far as I can tell. A very cute song that both sympathizes with the operators who must suffer through deadly dull jobs and pokes gentle fun at them. Gotta love it. Dark and Metric--Nice, very nice. Has a nice dreamy, floating feeling. Of the recent DAS's I've heard, I like "4 of 2" better, but maybe they're saving "4 of 2" for the next studio album (I hope!). Reprehensible--FINALLY a studio release of this fine tune! My only quibble is that the clarinet should've been used in the intro like in the live versions I've heard. GREAT tune, one of Flans's best. Certain People I Could Name--One of the most lyrically interesting tunes on the cd, with a great rhythm that could best be described as "slow bouncy." I can see why They thought it wouldn't fit on FS--it just has a different feel to it. Conterfeit Faker--yee haw! TMBG faux country at its finest. Not quite as energetic as the live versions I've heard, but still a heapin' haystack of fun (ugh, did I really just say that?) They Got Lost -- I've heard live slow versions of this song, but this is a slooooooow version...or maybe the fast version on STD has altered my perception of its speed (like the example of touch tone phones vs rotary phones on Brave New World). No matter what, it's nice to have clean recordings of both versions! Lullabye to Nightmares -- I had my doubts about this version since I'm awfully fond of the creepy Hello version which goes better with the lyrics, but I couldn't resist this tune...sorta tango-ish, like "The World's Address." On Earth My Nina -- a very interesting experiment even if it doesn't make a helluva lotta sense Linnell's voice may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it, and he really puts on quite an amazing vocal performance here. As many of you know, if you play this song backwards you get another song -- "Thunderbird." It's recognizable as the same song, but it definitely doesn't sound at all like the live version. It does, however, whet my appetite to hear that on the next studio album. The Edison Museum -- I always liked this song (Nick Hill does a fine job on the vocals), but it's been around for so long it would've been cool if they'd recorded another version of it. Still nice a nice way to end the cd. Yes, yes, I finally got to hear it today!!! I know most of you have already heard these songs many times, and some of them I've heard many times, too, but it's still exciting to get a new Giants release :) First of all, let me say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this "cd," and I expected a lot :) If you haven't gotten yourself a copy yet somehow, believe me, it's WELL worth the effort. Drinking--another classic Giant instrumental--great way to start things off, and much more satisfying than "Severe Tire Damage Theme." She Thinks She's Edith Head--totally retro, baby This song almost commands you to do some twistin'. I enjoyed the live version I heard on TDK's site awhile back, but this is much clearer and really brings out the charm of the song. Love the piano intro! Maybe I Know--This version is bouncier and peppier than the almost solemn way they do it live, and the change does the song good. I dare you to keep from humming this tune all day after hearing it--but then, that goes for almost every song on here Rat Patrol--Wow, TOTALLY different from the acapella das version, even more so than I expected--the way Linnell sings "I'm on rat patrol" is too funny :) Token Back To Brooklyn--my only real disappointment since, if they were gonna use this song again, I wish they would've used the DAS version. I guess it's good for those who were unable to find it on FS, hehe Older--Yay, finally a clear studio version for my answering machine! Identical to the versin they did on Brave New World, and I'm glad Flans got to do the "Time is marching on" part this time. I knew this song would become a TMBG classic the first time I heard it live. Operators are Standing By--Identical to the DAS version, as far as I can tell. A very cute song that both sympathizes with the operators who must suffer through deadly dull jobs and pokes gentle fun at them. Gotta love it. Dark and Metric--Nice, very nice. Has a nice dreamy, floating feeling. Of the recent DAS's I've heard, I like "4 of 2" better, but maybe they're saving "4 of 2" for the next studio album (I hope!). Reprehensible--FINALLY a studio release of this fine tune! My only quibble is that the clarinet should've been used in the intro like in the live versions I've heard. GREAT tune, one of Flans's best. Certain People I Could Name--One of the most lyrically interesting tunes on the cd, with a great rhythm that could best be described as "slow bouncy." I can see why They thought it wouldn't fit on FS--it just has a different feel to it. Conterfeit Faker--yee haw! TMBG faux country at its finest. Not quite as energetic as the live versions I've heard, but still a heapin' haystack of fun (ugh, did I really just say that?) They Got Lost -- I've heard live slow versions of this song, but this is a slooooooow version...or maybe the fast version on STD has altered my perception of its speed (like the example of touch tone phones vs rotary phones on Brave New World). No matter what, it's nice to have clean recordings of both versions! Lullabye to Nightmares -- I had my doubts about this version since I'm awfully fond of the creepy Hello version which goes better with the lyrics, but I couldn't resist this tune...sorta tango-ish, like "The World's Address." On Earth My Nina -- a very interesting experiment even if it doesn't make a helluva lotta sense Linnell's voice may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it, and he really puts on quite an amazing vocal performance here. As many of you know, if you play this song backwards you get another song -- "Thunderbird." It's recognizable as the same song, but it definitely doesn't sound at all like the live version. It does, however, whet my appetite to hear that on the next studio album. The Edison Museum -- I always liked this song (Nick Hill does a fine job on the vocals), but it's been around for so long it would've been cool if they'd recorded another version of it. Still nice a nice way to end the cd. Yes, yes, I finally got to hear it today!!! I know most of you have already heard these songs many times, and some of them I've heard many times, too, but it's still exciting to get a new Giants release :) First of all, let me say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this "cd," and I expected a lot :) If you haven't gotten yourself a copy yet somehow, believe me, it's WELL worth the effort. Drinking--another classic Giant instrumental--great way to start things off, and much more satisfying than "Severe Tire Damage Theme." She Thinks She's Edith Head--totally retro, baby This song almost commands you to do some twistin'. I enjoyed the live version I heard on TDK's site awhile back, but this is much clearer and really brings out the charm of the song. Love the piano intro! Maybe I Know--This version is bouncier and peppier than the almost solemn way they do it live, and the change does the song good. I dare you to keep from humming this tune all day after hearing it--but then, that goes for almost every song on here Rat Patrol--Wow, TOTALLY different from the acapella das version, even more so than I expected--the way Linnell sings "I'm on rat patrol" is too funny :) Token Back To Brooklyn--my only real disappointment since, if they were gonna use this song again, I wish they would've used the DAS version. I guess it's good for those who were unable to find it on FS, hehe Older--Yay, finally a clear studio version for my answering machine! Identical to the versin they did on Brave New World, and I'm glad Flans got to do the "Time is marching on" part this time. I knew this song would become a TMBG classic the first time I heard it live. Operators are Standing By--Identical to the DAS version, as far as I can tell. A very cute song that both sympathizes with the operators who must suffer through deadly dull jobs and pokes gentle fun at them. Gotta love it. Dark and Metric--Nice, very nice. Has a nice dreamy, floating feeling. Of the recent DAS's I've heard, I like "4 of 2" better, but maybe they're saving "4 of 2" for the next studio album (I hope!). Reprehensible--FINALLY a studio release of this fine tune! My only quibble is that the clarinet should've been used in the intro like in the live versions I've heard. GREAT tune, one of Flans's best. Certain People I Could Name--One of the most lyrically interesting tunes on the cd, with a great rhythm that could best be described as "slow bouncy." I can see why They thought it wouldn't fit on FS--it just has a different feel to it. Conterfeit Faker--yee haw! TMBG faux country at its finest. Not quite as energetic as the live versions I've heard, but still a heapin' haystack of fun (ugh, did I really just say that?) They Got Lost -- I've heard live slow versions of this song, but this is a slooooooow version...or maybe the fast version on STD has altered my perception of its speed (like the example of touch tone phones vs rotary phones on Brave New World). No matter what, it's nice to have clean recordings of both versions! Lullabye to Nightmares -- I had my doubts about this version since I'm awfully fond of the creepy Hello version which goes better with the lyrics, but I couldn't resist this tune...sorta tango-ish, like "The World's Address." On Earth My Nina -- a very interesting experiment even if it doesn't make a helluva lotta sense Linnell's voice may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it, and he really puts on quite an amazing vocal performance here. As many of you know, if you play this song backwards you get another song -- "Thunderbird." It's recognizable as the same song, but it definitely doesn't sound at all like the live version. It does, however, whet my appetite to hear that on the next studio album. The Edison Museum -- I always liked this song (Nick Hill does a fine job on the vocals), but it's been around for so long it would've been cool if they'd recorded another version of it. Still nice a nice way to end the cd. And there you have it! Thanks for reading my slightly rambling review...I hope you can get yourself a copy if you haven't already--you'll be glad you did! Kay ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <81e19bc7.24e08f6f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:09:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: Tv appeareances While searching at the internet movie database (a database of practically every movie, tv show, tv special, actor, director, stagehand, producers....everything) i looked up John and John. their listings were both the same: 1. Brave New World (1999) 2. Apples & Oranges: Or, a Story of Fruit (1998) (V) (song "Particle Man") 3. Ed and His Dead Mother (1993) (song "Everything Right is Wrong Again") ... aka Bon Appetit, Mama (1993) (USA: video title) Alright, everyone knows about brave new world, but does anyone know what those last two listings are? ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: TMBG: Time 100 Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:26:55 -0700 Message-ID: <000001bee2b6$499ffea0$3dc66ac6@tooms> anyone else notice john isn't in the top 20 anymore? :( bridgie t. "i was a nice girl," she pleaded, "wasn't i?" http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:33:06 -0600 (MDT) From: FITZ RANDOLPH TIMOTHY VAIL Subject: TMBG: import cds Message-ID: doees anyone know if there are any import cds available in america of TMBG that may include some other versions of tracks or unreleased tracks? also, I've heard of this "live in New York" thing, was that a bootleg, or a real release? thanks everyone, timmy well the rain falls down without my help i;m afraid... fitzrand@colorado.edu ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <6ef49581.24e0ca0a@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:19:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: import cds In a message dated 8/9/99 3:34:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Timothy.Fitzrandolph@Colorado.EDU writes: > also, I've heard of this "live in New York" thing, was that a bootleg, or > a real release? It was a promotionasl live album originally sent out to radio stations -kreadoubt "ummmmmmmmmmm" JL ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <510278e.24e0cf3c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:41:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Tv appeareances In a message dated 8/9/99 3:11:59 PM, MrBean43@aol.com writes: >2. Apples & Oranges: Or, a Story of Fruit (1998) (V) (song "Particle Man") > not totally sure, but apples and oranges is the name of this little 'zine run out of new york city -- not sure if it still exists, anyway, but i found an issue last year, that featured linnell... sarah ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: <72a24b1a.24e0dc73@aol.com> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:37:55 EDT Subject: TMBG: Where is Spitting Contest?!? If someone could tell me where "Spitting Contest" is, and how to find it, that would be great. ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:13:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Where is Spitting Contest?!? There are advantages to actually reading the list mail you get. A mail was sent out a few days ago by some kind soul that basically said: Spitting Contest isn't a TMBG song. It's never been released, played, or recorded by TMBG. It's a song from the show Sifl + Olly, which list denizen and off-topic-God Dexter Flansburgh said sounded TMBGish. It has since then become a running gag. Oh, and don't forget Careless Santa! Sam "Can one monkey rule the universe?" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37AF972E.A636E828@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 23:06:22 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Where is Spitting Contest?!? Samman85@aol.com wrote: > Spitting Contest isn't a TMBG song. It's never been released, played, or > recorded by TMBG. It's a song from the show Sifl + Olly, which list denizen > and off-topic-God Dexter Flansburgh said sounded TMBGish. It has since then > become a running gag. > > Oh, and don't forget Careless Santa! hmmm, you know, as long as we're discussing running gags on the list, I haven't seen the "Careless Santa" one in a while... :) actually, a scary thought about that is that it's now spread to many other places where certain people spend their time online. #moxyfruvous comes to mind, doesn't it, Chad? :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990810043725.62968.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tv appeareances Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 21:37:24 PDT MrBean43 wrote: >2. Apples & Oranges: Or, a Story of Fruit (1998) (V) (song "Particle >Man") > >3. Ed and His Dead Mother (1993) (song "Everything Right is Wrong >Again") >... aka Bon Appetit, Mama (1993) (USA: video title) > >Alright, everyone knows about brave new world, but does anyone know >what >those last two listings are? I don't know about "Apples and Oranges," but "Ed and His Dead Mother" was a movie about some guy whose mother died, and he met a woman who supposedly was his mother reincarnated. Something like that. I think it starred Steve Buscemi. I've never seen it, as you may have gathered. I do know that "Everything Right Is Wrong Again" was played during the closing credits, though. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990810044240.82707.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Time 100 Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 21:42:40 PDT Bridget Therease wrote: >anyone else notice john isn't in the top 20 anymore? :( I don't think he's in the poll at all. He was removed because he was too "whimsical," or something like that. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-10 ******************************