Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 12 Thursday, 12 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: A Technological TMBG News Item TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation TMBG: Non-TMBG (I guess...) Mr. Joshua Fried, Courtesy Call At The Front Re: TMBG: um, hi? Re: NON-TMBG: Non-Tmbg-BLAIR Witch Re: TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation Re: TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation Re: NON-TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) TMBG: i can name that shirt in one note Re: TMBG: the alumni page (fwd) TMBG: tmbg.com NON-TMBG: Weird Al (was TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation) Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al (was TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation) Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <89f4e8a8.24e2afa2@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 06:51:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: A Technological TMBG News Item Hey everyone, I found this news piece lying in wait for me in my e-mail box after my return home from my 2 week stay with my in-laws in South Carolina and Mississippi...not sure how stale the below info is, but figure I'd post it anyway. Karen J. Riley, who luckily didn't crash her bicycle in a big South Carolina wreck :-) MuseKJ@aol.com Creative and Emusic.com Showcase Lava! at IMX LAVA! Enhanced Version of They Might Be Giants MP3 Album to Be Shown NEW YORK, Aug. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Creative Technology Ltd. (Nasdaq: CREAF), the leading provider of multimedia solutions for personal entertainment, and EMusic.com (Nasdaq: EMUS), the Internet's leading seller of downloadable music, today previewed the first MP3 songs from EMusic.com to use Creative's groundbreaking interactive music technology, LAVA! (Live Audio Visual Animation). The special LAVA!-enhanced version of They Might Be Giants' Long Tall Weekend MP3 album is being shown this week in the Creative booth (#449) at the Interactive Music Expo (IMX) in New York. Additionally, the two companies plan to make LAVA! music available for download from www.emusic.com in the near future. "Our partnership with EMusic.com and They Might Be Giants will show music enthusiasts a new way to experience Internet music. Showcasing LAVA! with EMusic.com is a natural evolution of our ongoing strategic partnership in which they provide a myriad of digital audio content for our NOMAD line of digital audio players," said Mike Barnes, Internet marketing manager for Creative Labs, Inc. "For the first time, Internet music can be accompanied by a complete customized video containing images such as interactive band logos, album art, and band member images in real-time using little additional bandwidth." LAVA! instantly generates an interactive video for any MP3 song. The technology also includes authoring capabilities and allows for the creation of customized interactive music videos that can be associated and distributed with any MP3 song. LAVA! gives visual expression to music and allows MP3 enthusiasts, musicians, and artists to express their creativity in visual terms; changing the Internet music experience from one where music only defines a listening experience, to one where the music actually manifests a complete, immersive and personalized visual experience. "They Might Be Giants continue to push the envelope of how fans can enjoy their music through the Web and interactive technologies like LAVA!," said Marv Su, vice president of interactive marketing for EMusic.com. "Our company is excited to work with Creative to explore ways to make music much more than an auditory experience." They Might Be Giants' Long Tall Weekend Long Tall Weekend is the first album from a major artist to be released exclusively in the open MP3 format. It is available now for sample, purchase and download from www.emusic.com -- along with more offerings from They Might Be Giants and other popular alternative music. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:37:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation Hello, I'm back from a 2-week South Carolina/Mississippi vacation (heard you missed me?), in which the Johns came along for the voyage, so to speak, by showing up in some interesting ways: When I was in Six Flags over Georgia Amusement Park, the only souvenir I wanted was an airbrushed T-shirt. I glinted over at the booth with steely resolve to get myself a bootiful custom-made TMBG shirt, and walked over to the clerk/artiste to make the purchase. I told the guy behind the counter that I only wanted scripted letters (like a fancy style of calligraphy cursive) saying "They Might Be Giants" on the front of a white short-sleeved T. As the clerk wrote the words down, he smiled and quietly stated "My roommate is a huge fan of that band." I was proud to have that man make my shirt for me, which I ordered with a purple, star-laden background behind black letters. Later, as I walked through the park with the shirt on, I overheard some little girl say to her mother "It said 'They Might Be Giants,'" after she viewed what was I was wearing. (it was cool hearing the band's name come out of such an unexpected place). I caught lots of people looking at it, probably perplexing the living hell out of them ("They Might Be Giants? Hmm, sounds like a kid's show that might be going on elsewhere in the park...we'll have to check that one out after we do the Georgia Cyclone rollercoaster, honey"). Caught the first episode of BNW in South Carolina, with anyone and everyone interrupting and walking in front of the set. But it was excellent, nonetheless. The second episode was more worrisome for me, as the ABC reception on the set I was viewing in Mississippi wasn't all that hot. And my father-in-law was playing country tunes low on his acoustic guitar, and singing for his grandson -- not that that's a bad thing, mind you. BNW reminds me a lot of Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" shows, which I've also got on tape. I prayed all the way home that my mom had remembered to tape the shows for me at her house. When I got back, I found that not only had she taped both shows, she had also recorded most of Larry King Live with Ted Koppel and Robert Krulwich, talking about BNW and the Atlanta shootings. Every time I've gone down to visit my in-laws in South Carolina, somebody starts shooting up someplace close by. Last time, it was the shootings in the Capitol building -- now this. Going to South Carolina is starting to give me the creeps. Oh, and for those of you who think John Linnell's singing style is similar to Big Bird, or even Barney the Damn Dinosaur -- I don't especially like the way Big Bird and Barney talk, much less sing. Mr. Linnell's voice reminds me more of Bob McGrath (Bob on Sesame Street to you)..."yeah these are the people in your neighborhood, the people that you meet each day," or "one of these things is not like the others." He's just got that same cardigan style, baby. That's it for now I suppose... Karen "John stole my crayons!" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <779e19ab.24e2cb5b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:49:31 EDT Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG (I guess...) Mr. Joshua Fried, Courtesy Call At The Front I've suddenly discovered this week that I'm a pretty big fan of the work of Joshua Fried. Could anybody on here give me a list of his work, and any info on Mr. Fried the man? I know absolutely nothing about him, and am interested to learn more. Karen "The Lady of Linden" Riley (that would make my husband Barry of Linden --- "he squandered a fine family fortune"...fiddle dee dee) If you describe things as better than they are, you are considered to be a romantic; if you describe things as worse than they are, you will be called a realist; and if you describe things exactly as they are, you will be thought of as a satirist. Quentin Crisp ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990811145618.6883.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: um, hi? Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 07:56:17 PDT Adrienne Spruill wrote: >Okay, I'm new to this, and so on and so forth. Anyway, I went through >every letter in here since about June 11, and have decided, that this >will be an interesting adventure. All I'm really here for I think, is >to >find out new stuff about the John's. Well, first of all, John Flansburgh is really a secret agent from outer space, who is working undercover for the man. TMBG's next album will be called _Matt's Life Savings_, and it will include a reworked version of "Careless Santa," as well as a hidden track called "Spitting Contest." -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ DISCLAIMER: None of the information given in my post was true. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990811145901.19507.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Non-Tmbg-BLAIR Witch Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 07:59:01 PDT MrBean43 wrote: >first off, how do i send mail to the Non-Tmbg part of this list? What do you mean? Do you want to send a non-TMBG message to the list, or a message to the off-topic list? If the former, just start your subject line with "NON-TMBG:" (and don't forget the colon). If the latter, it's a separate list. I'm sure someone on here will tell you how to reach it; I don't feel like looking up the information right now. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Moxy Fruvous, Thornhill _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990811150104.60337.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:01:03 PDT Karen Riley wrote: >Later, as I walked through the park with the shirt on, I >overheard some little girl say to her mother "It said 'They Might Be >Giants,'" after she viewed what was I was wearing. (it was cool >hearing >the >band's name come out of such an unexpected place). I caught lots of >people >looking at it, probably perplexing the living hell out of them ("They > >Might >Be Giants? Hmm, sounds like a kid's show that might be going on >elsewhere >in >the park...we'll have to check that one out after we do the Georgia > >Cyclone rollercoaster, honey"). I saw a few people wearing TMBG shirts at Hershey Park on Sunday. There was a Weird Al concert occurring that day. Can you say "overlapping fanbase"? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:06:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation Message-ID: On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I saw a few people wearing TMBG shirts at Hershey Park on Sunday. There was > a Weird Al concert occurring that day. Can you say "overlapping fanbase"? > -- "Overlapping fanbase"! I can say it, I can say it!!!!!!! hehehe. Speaking of Weird Al, does anyone have any feedback on his shows, and what to expect and stuff? I'm seeing him next Wednesday in Cincinnati. Anyone else gonna be there? Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990811151533.88178.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:15:33 PDT Colleen Anne McClanahan wrote: >Speaking of Weird Al, does anyone have any feedback on his shows, and >what to expect and stuff? I'm seeing him next Wednesday in >Cincinnati. >Anyone else gonna be there? Well, there were three shows at Hershey, and each one was only an hour long. The Cincinnati show will probably be longer. Expect a lot of stuff from the new album, some classics from other albums (including "Fat," "Yoda," and "Amish Paradise"), and a medley of songs that Al doesn't want to do in their entirety. There are a lot of costume changes, and Al-related video clips played while the band members are backstage. If you like Al (and possibly even if you don't), you'll probably love the concert. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <9c612bb7.24e32d39@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:47:05 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) In a message dated 8/10/99 7:23:23 PM, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: > love Moxy dearly, and I rushed out to get the album today, but...was I > >the only one who felt kind of disappointed? I dunno, maybe I'll warm up >to >it... i don't have it yet actually -- i won it from wber (fruvous' favourite station ^_^) on friday, and weirdly i don't have it yet. and i can link this to tmbg: i won factory showroom the friday before it came out, and they sent it on monday, i got it tuesday morning. i have heard it for the most part, though. a few times. they had their cd release day here in rochester, complete with a couple radio interviews (i taped the wber one, by the way, if any of you desire a copy... email me off the list) ...it was played over the speakers at the record archive before the instore... quite a few times. i can't say it will be in my cd player 24/7 like i know the new sloan album will be next month (!) ... but, i hated 'wood' when i first heard it, and it took me a good year and a half to get into it. although, i do LOOOOVE "splatter splatter". as long as i love at least one song on a cd, that's alright. ;) (like sonic youth's "sunday" on the otherwise lukewarm 'thousand leaves') oh and for those parties interested: jian told me they ought to be on late night with conan (sarah's favourite show!) around the second week of september. sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:02:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: i can name that shirt in one note oh, this could have gone in my last post, but it's more tmbg related, so. i went to pick someone up at the train station yesterday before the fruvous instore. as i was standing there waiting, there was a guy with a long sleeve shirt and a short sleeve shirt over it (only showing a few inches of the long sleeves) .. i thought the sleeves looked kinda familiar, so i went over and said "is that a they might be giants shirt?" (i was pretty positive it was.. the i forget what it's called.. the pirate one?) .. and i think i terrified him... "yes! ...wow, that's... that's a good guess.." hehe. i just felt like sharing. that's all. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:34:36 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37B1EC6C.6191F4AE@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: the alumni page (fwd) > Yo folks....for those of you that noticed, my e-mail address is listed as > John Linnel's address on that lincoln sudbury high school page. well > obviously, I am NOT john linnell. my friend actually found that page, > registered "john Linnell" on that alumni page under the address of > mrbean43@aol.com (which is MY address...). anyway, i never even saw that > alumni page until AFTER i sent the link out to the page. so, imagine my > suprise when i saw that John Linnell had the same e-mail address as me! wait > a second....! I was pretty confused for a while until my friend explained > the joke he played on to me. > > anyway, sorry about that. i hope you guys aren't mad or anything! Isn't that illegal? ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <52d47afb.24e380da@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:43:54 EDT Subject: TMBG: tmbg.com at theymightbegiants.com (with the tour announcement/rumor news) it says to sign up for the e-mail list at tmbg.com because they will be sending out mp3 files soon. Does anyone know WHERE on tmbg.com you can sign up for this list? i couldn't seem to find it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:40:22 -0400 From: Angel of Darkness Subject: NON-TMBG: Weird Al (was TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation) Message-id: <37B25E43.FE5CF1DE@wmich.edu> > Speaking of Weird Al, does anyone have any feedback on his shows, and > what to expect and stuff? Speaking of Weird Al again..... I have but one album of his... _Off The Deep End_ and I think It's about time I stocked up on some more Weird Al... Any suggestions? There's so much to choose from that I turn numb trying to decide which CD to buy first! ~Sarah -- Currently in need of a new Theme Song..... http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <4799e060.24e3b7d9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:38:33 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al (was TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation) << Speaking of Weird Al again..... I have but one album of his... _Off The Deep End_ and I think It's about time I stocked up on some more Weird Al... Any suggestions? There's so much to choose from that I turn numb trying to decide which CD to buy first! >> His latest one, Running With Scissors is very good, with probably the most diverse mix of musical styles. But Bad Hair Day has his TMBG "style parody" tribute, "Everything You Know is Wrong," one of my all time favorite songs of his. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:54:04 -0400 From: Angel of Darkness Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) Message-id: <37B2617B.7050DFA5@wmich.edu> > i don't have it yet actually -- i won it from wber (fruvous' favourite > station ^_^) on friday, and weirdly i don't have it yet. and i can link this > to tmbg: i won factory showroom the friday before it came out, and they sent > it on monday, i got it tuesday morning. > > i have heard it for the most part, though. a few times. they had their cd > release day here in rochester, complete with a couple radio interviews (i > taped the wber one, by the way, if any of you desire a copy... email me off > the list) ...it was played over the speakers at the record archive before the > instore... quite a few times. i can't say it will be in my cd player 24/7 > like i know the new sloan album will be next month (!) ... but, i hated > 'wood' when i first heard it, and it took me a good year and a half to get > into it. Hrm.... I don't have Thornhill yet.... Plan on getting it VERY soon.... But, on the topic of Wood.... It almost disappoints me to hear that so many people dislike. It reminds me of so many people's dislike of Factory Showroom... Anyhow. When I first gave Wood a listen I was quite disappointed. I knew Horseshoes and Fly.... and I've always liked those songs... but the rest sounded so folky and I guess my ears didn't like these strange new sounds... at first. I knew better than to judge a CD after one listen... so I listened again... still wasn't impressed. So I gave it a rest, and later that day Down From Above was stuck in my head, and at first I couldn't figure out what the song was from.... But I just HAD to hear it! Finally I figured out that it was a song on Wood... listened to the CD again.... and fell in love with it. I know a CD is good if the songs stick with me (and vice versa.... I got Ween's 'God Ween Satan'... listened to it maybe five times and still nothing stuck in my head.... not a good CD... So I gave it to my sister hehehe) Anyway.... I just wanted to express my love of Wood... I'm a sucker for Mellow Music.... and I think I was just surprised at first... I had been associating Fruvous with their upbeat Happy music... and Wood fails to be that. But it's still wonderful in its own rite... and I can't wait to hear Thronhill..... and I'll shutup now because if you've actually read this far you probably wish I would shutup already... > oh and for those parties interested: jian told me they ought to be on late > night with conan (sarah's favourite show!) around the second week of > september. Woo-Hoo!!! If you find out when... ExAcTLy.... be sure to tell me!!!! ~Sarah, and now... back to cleaning my bathroom... -- Currently in need of a new Theme Song..... Now Playing Wood http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-12 ******************************