Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 14 Saturday, 14 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: they got lost TMBG: inSaNiTY tEst Re: TMBG: inSaNiTY tEst TMBG: Restaurant Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al (was TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation) TMBG: Pudding or desert Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert TMBG: TMBG Food. Re: TMBG: TMBG Food. TMBG: More Food for the TMBG Ristorante Re: TMBG: TMBG Food. TMBG: Food TMBG: TMBG reference in Mystery Men? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <68bc5161.24e50f22@aol.com> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 02:03:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: they got lost my mp3 of they got lost from long tall weekend is fouled up. at 2:37 seconds, it starts sounding like holding the rewind button down on a tape player while the tape is playing. i was wondering if anyone else's copy of the got lost is messed up? also, if anyone out there bought a copy of LTW and has only downloaded 1 copy so far, could i possibly download one of your two remainging copies of they got lost? or if any of you know where i could get that version of the song, id apreciate it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000001bee582$1a1a6840$dbd7b0c2@default> From: "alanhooper" Subject: TMBG: inSaNiTY tEst Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:49:16 +0100 I tried out that Insanity test and got 93% which I thought was quite good. Anyway on a different note. If I was going to open a Giant Themed restaurant (Which could be a good Idea) The menu could consist of: Cajun Aquarium. A spicy fish platter served on a bed of lettuce banANA NG Just your basic banana split with a different name. Birdhouse In Your Sole Chicken in a crunchy batter comibined with Some sort of fishy Sole O.k I get bored AL ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: <6ccaf4dc.24e562ee@aol.com> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:00:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: inSaNiTY tEst > I tried out that Insanity test and got 93% which I thought was quite good. > > Anyway on a different note. If I was going to open a Giant Themed > restaurant (Which could be a good Idea) The menu could consist of: > > Cajun Aquarium. > A spicy fish platter served on a bed of lettuce > > banANA NG > Just your basic banana split with a different name. > > Birdhouse In Your Sole > Chicken in a crunchy batter comibined with Some sort of fishy > Sole hehehe...That's neat. It reminds me of when I was in NYC with my cousin for the Irving Plaza show. The next day, we were in a diner and one of the things on the menu was "Milk Chocolate Milk," so I started singing "I Palindrome I". She didn't know what the hell I was talking about, but I thought it was funny at the time. I'm such a dork. > O.k I get bored We all do. > > AL Beth ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000101bee585$9f7af880$44d3b0c2@default> From: "alanhooper" Subject: TMBG: Restaurant Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:15:04 +0100 Oh! OH! Oh! I've just thought of another one Donut Stars (don't let's start) Star shaped donuts with different fillings ie. jam / jelly and one with a really bitter tasting filling (AKA the worst part) Incidently this is what I thought the were singing when I first heard The album Exsquisite Dead Guy O.K. I'm running out of Items and have resorted to canabulism AL ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: <52dc9cb8.24e57ec4@aol.com> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:59:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? You missed it? I can't believe it... If you listen to Robert Krulwich's voice backwards through the last 10 minutes of the program, he's singing "Spitting Contest." And don't forget "Careless Santa!" Sam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990813145241.4764.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al (was TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation) Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:52:41 PDT Kaylum wrote: ><< Speaking of Weird Al again..... > I have but one album of his... _Off The Deep End_ and I think It's >about >time I > stocked up on some more Weird Al... Any suggestions? There's so >much to >choose > from that I turn numb trying to decide which CD to buy first! >> > >His latest one, Running With Scissors is very good, with probably the >most >diverse mix of musical styles. But Bad Hair Day has his TMBG "style > >parody" >tribute, "Everything You Know is Wrong," one of my all time favorite >songs >of his. Overall, though, I'd say that _Running With Scissors_ is a better album. True, _Bad Hair Day_ has "EYKIW" and "Since You've Been Gone," as well as the famous "Amish Paradise," but a lot of the tracks are fairly weak. Of course, there is the question of whether you're looking for song parodies or Al originals (many of which are style parodies of certain bands). I've noticed that casual listeners, including reviewers, tend to prefer the parodies, while long-time fans often like the originals better. This could be because the parodies are easier to notice ("Hey! This is that song they play on the radio all the time, but with funny lyrics!"), while the originals are better at withstanding the test of time. It probably has something to do with your sense of humour, too. Many people would find something like "Eat It" funny (at least upon first listening to it), while something like "Albuquerque" uses a more specialized type of comedy that only a warped mind (like mine) can properly appreciate. What DOES surprise me, though, is that so many reviewers let "Alburquerque" go without comment. I mean, whether you like it or loathe it, it's a difficult piece to ignore. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000001bee59c$36e6b220$5dd0b0c2@default> From: "alanhooper" Subject: TMBG: Pudding or desert Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:56:55 +0100 What about? Purple Souffle (I'm not sure about the spelling there might be an accent somewhere) A very light sponge like desert with a black currant sauce ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199908131505.LAA18168@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:05:49 -0400 (EDT) > > What about? > > Purple Souffle (I'm not sure about the spelling there might be an accent > somewhere) > A very light sponge like desert with a black currant sauce > Early I was thinking Purple Toupee-oca. But I think yours is a bit easier to say and flows a bit better :) -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990813150743.65695.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:07:41 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Angel of Darkness wrote: > > > Hrm.... I don't have Thornhill yet.... Plan on getting it VERY > > >soon.... > > But, on the topic of Wood.... It almost disappoints me to hear > > that >so many > > people dislike. It reminds me of so many people's dislike of > > Factory > > Showroom... Anyhow. When I first gave Wood a listen I was quite > > >disappointed. > >Although I think that after 5 albums, the change that they went >through to >Factory Showroom was far more drastic than what Moxy Fruvous did with > >Wood, >seeing as how it was only their second album, and the first one they >wrote >specifically with the intent of releasing an album. (Bargainville >was >pretty >much just a collection of their early busking work, which is why the >arrangements are fairly simple, and the only keyboard to appear is >the >accordion) In fact, it seems like the songs on _Factory Showroom_ might NOT have been written with the album in mind, which is why so many recorded songs weren't included. Both _Wood_ and FS have something in common, though: a drop in the number of songs. I think that _Bargainville_ had something like fourteen songs (I don't have it handy at the moment), while _Wood_ only has twelve (counting "Organ Grinder" as a song). This became somewhat of a trend for Fruvous, though; _Live Noise_ has a lot of tracks, but _You Will Go To The Moon_ doesn't have that many (once again, I don't have it handy to check the exact number), and the B Album clocks in at around twenty-two minutes. (In the latter case, though, this was something difficult to avoid, since the band was pretty much limited to B-sides, and there weren't that many at the time. Also, B's short running time sometimes guarantees it a place in my CD player. ("I want to listen to an album, but I have to leave in half an hour. Ah! The B Album! Perfect!")) Hopefully, it won't be a trend for TMBG. > > I knew Horseshoes and Fly.... and I've always liked those songs... > > >but the > > rest sounded so folky and I guess my ears didn't like these > > strange > >I think it was the much slower tempos for me... I was like "Ok, >where's >the fast, fun stuff..." Well, there are a few upbeat numbers on _Wood_, although none of them are really as much "fun" as the stuff on _Bargainville_. I think I liked some of the songs on _Wood_ the first time through ("The Present Tense Tureen," for instance), but others took longer to grow on me. I can't quite recall if I liked "Sad Today" the first time I heard it (I think I might have), but it's now one of my favourite Fruvous songs. I don't really mind the "folky" arrangements. In fact, the "folkiness" seems to be something that's missing on _Thornhill_ (except for "Earthquakes," which does have a folk sound to it). I'm listening to _Thornhill_ for the third time now, and I find that I'm paying more attention to the arrangements than to the lyrics. This is a bit difficult to do on an album like _Bargainville_, which often seems to scream, "Listen to these lyrics!" Probably the best example of this arrangement-over-lyrics thing is "Sad Girl," on which I like the Beatles-influenced sound. "Earthquakes" also seems to have a good arrangement, and I do like "Splatter Splatter," although it seems to be a bit on the short side. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <6a908017.24e59249@aol.com> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:22:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert How about She's An Angel Food Cake James K. Pork Santa's Beer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37B460A0.F15CC712@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:14:56 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > In fact, it seems like the songs on _Factory Showroom_ might NOT have been > written with the album in mind, which is why so many recorded songs weren't > included. Both _Wood_ and FS have something in common, though: a drop in > the number of songs. I think that _Bargainville_ had something like > fourteen songs (I don't have it handy at the moment), while _Wood_ only has 15, actually. so basically still longer than the average "pop" album (10-12) but shorter than the average TMBG album (18). If it had had 18 songs on it, then I'd consider Wood a drastic change, but I don't think 12 is all that bad. Plus the songs on Wood tend to be considerably longer than those on Bargainville. > twelve (counting "Organ Grinder" as a song). This became somewhat of a > trend for Fruvous, though; _Live Noise_ has a lot of tracks, but _You Will > Go To The Moon_ doesn't have that many (once again, I don't have it handy to > check the exact number), and the B Album clocks in at around twenty-two > minutes. (In the latter case, though, this was something difficult to the "B" album is an EP, so it's expected to be short. You Will Go to the Moon is their third album. And YWGTTM has 13 songs which, again, isn't bad, except that in the case of that album I find myself skipping over a couple of them fairly frequently (Message and Lazlo) which shortens the time considerably. -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37B4642F.166A97@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:30:07 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert EmarZero@aol.com wrote: > > How about > > She's An Angel Food Cake > James K. Pork > Santa's Beer don't you mean "Careless Santa's Beer?" :) also... The Famous Polka-Cola It's Not My Birthday Cake A Soup Called Nowhere (I think this is what the elf served in The Present Tense Tureen :) there's probably more possibilities but that's all I could think of for now. :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:25:34 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Message-id: <37B4712C.5835AFE5@wmich.edu> alanhooper wrote: > What about? > > Purple Souffle (I'm not sure about the spelling there might be an accent > somewhere) > A very light sponge like desert with a black currant sauce hehehe... oh, that's a good one, it even made me giggle.... here's some more... Birds Pie- a crunchy graham cracker crust filled with creamy chocolate and vanilla pudding My Evil Gin- well, it's alcoholic.... duh! (so alcoholic in fact that one sip makes you tipsy!) Herring Aid- a simple fish 'n' chips platter Rabid Chicken- grilled chicken marinated in garlic herb sauce Mr. Meatloaf- our chef's special seafood meatloaf hehe... I must be bored... ~Sarah, "Satan is a warm and tender guy." -- Currently in need of a new Theme Song..... http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37B47298.2CB8@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:31:38 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Good Moxy mix-in there. That elf was a nutcase... But if you worked for a "Careless Santa", you'd be screwed up in the head too. :) Santa's Menace: The Saga Continues -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 17:58:36 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37B4A31C.37590566@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Sarah wrote: > alanhooper wrote: > > > What about? > > > > Purple Souffle (I'm not sure about the spelling there might be an accent > > somewhere) > > A very light sponge like desert with a black currant sauce > > hehehe... oh, that's a good one, it even made me giggle.... > > here's some more... > > Birds Pie- a crunchy graham cracker crust filled with creamy chocolate and > vanilla pudding > > My Evil Gin- well, it's alcoholic.... duh! (so alcoholic in fact that one > sip makes you tipsy!) > > Herring Aid- a simple fish 'n' chips platter > > Rabid Chicken- grilled chicken marinated in garlic herb sauce > > Mr. Meatloaf- our chef's special seafood meatloaf How could everyone have missed this! No need for cannibalism when you can have: Exquisite Cheese Fries - Cheese fries that are great! Pineapple Turn-around cake - Upside down cake with a new twist! Boat of Carp - Perhaps this was mentioned with the other fish, but if not, a plate o' carp! Where Your Eyes Don't Coleslaw - Simply coleslaw! Dig my Gravy - Who wants a bowl of gravy? Everyone! I think I've said too much already! Bob "Alfred-Oh Do Not Foresake Me!" Scott ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: <48ed9f1f.24e60bb1@aol.com> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:00:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert Hmmm...here's what I came up with. Your Racist French Fries~they're just fries Particle Mango~a sundae topped with mangos We Want a Rocky Road Sundae~a sundae made with rocky road ice cream Hot Cha-colate~hot chocolate Beth ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:00:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Pudding or desert sorry if these have already been mentioned.. they probably have, some are really obvious. but forgive me, i can't remember them all.. is anyone collecting these? deserts: the statue made of pie (derrrr) she's an angel food cake it's not my birthday cake nightgown of the sullen half-moon cookie breakfasts: hide away yolk omlet boat of carbohydrates (dunno) lunches (all lunches include a side of sapphire bullets of pure coleslaw): youth culture killed my hot dog piece of dirt (not very filling) beverages: i'll sink manhattans hot cha lame. i know. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990814014419.8385.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Food. Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:44:18 GMT Here's my contribution for the thread: O Do Not Forsteak Me Chess Piece Cheesecake Piece of Pie Snowball in Hell -- ice cream with coconut sprinkles on top Hearing Aid -- instead of Kool-ade The Biggest One -- Anything, like the biggest salad, or steak, or portion... For background music, one could play Dinner Bell.... Fingertips sandwiches Spiraling Shape -- a kind of meat loaf that has spinach rolled up inside of it in a spiraling shape... Drinking People you don't want to see in the restaraunt when you're eating : Rat Patrol Bread Hair ------------- Okie, that's all I can think of. Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:01:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Food. heres a few more: Sapphire Blueberries of Pure Love Women & Mentos Destination Moon pie thats all for now. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <60f5c833.24e64d61@aol.com> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:41:05 EDT Subject: TMBG: More Food for the TMBG Ristorante Every Bite Is Longed Again ~ ~ That Night's Blackboard Special Greek # 3 Salad w/ Number Three-Spices Vinaigrette ~ ~ Mediterranean Salad w/ Feta Cheese and Greek Olives Toddler Highway ~ ~ Kiddie Platter Special of the Day 32 Footstep Fondue ~ ~ 32 Cubes of Bread w/ Melted Cheese Sauce for Dipping Nothing's Gonna Change My Cloves ~ ~ Spiced Ham (She Was A) Rotelli Detective ~ ~ Pasta w/ Pesto Sauce Absolutely Bill's Food ~ ~ Steak and Potatoes I Hope That I Get Cold Before My Pie ~ ~ Pie A La Mode Alienation's For The Rich Dessert ~ ~ Decadent Fudge Cake w/ a Gold Candy Coin Decorating the Top Rhythm Sections Fruit Salad w/ Want Ad-Dressing Karen J. Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:41:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Food. Nah. Ya gotta have Spiraling Steak. Either that, or Spiraling Snack, which would be an appetizer sort of like those onion things at Outback. I Palindrome I-ce Cream. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005101bee610$d7d24720$dc9da2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Food Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:52:41 -0700 Miscellanious Tea - A mixture of blends Counterfeit Flakes - Corn Flakes Long Tall Weiner - Hot Dog -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002201bee616$5c675f20$f9d90a04@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: TMBG reference in Mystery Men? Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:23:31 -0400 Tonight I saw Mystery Men, which was an excellent movie and I recommend it to everyone. But before I saw the movie, I looked down at my ticket stub, which had part of the movie title on it.... Myster Me Coincidence? I think not!!! Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-14 ******************************