Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 2 Monday, 2 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: Re: Children's Album TMBG: aquired taste TMBG: rat patrol TMBG: Back from lurkdom....are we fighting? Re: TMBG: rat patrol Re: TMBG: acquired taste TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: acquired taste TMBG: Harmonius Johns Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot Re: TMBG: aquired taste Re: TMBG: Harmonius Johns Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: rat patrol Re: TMBG: acquired taste Re: TMBG: rat patrol TMBG:Older Re: Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot TMBG: i Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: acquired taste Re: TMBG: Harmonious Johns Re: Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Harmonious Johns Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 03:15:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199908010715.DAA32976@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 13:28:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Children's Album In a message dated 7/24/99 2:25:39 PM, Jay@tmbg.org writes: << It's being released as the band They might be Giants, and the tentative title of it is "No!" >> I think another good title would have been "MINE" ------------------------------ From: VladAmel@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 17:37:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: aquired taste responding to a letter by Mr. Leffel, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << I guess I can't understand how someone can listen to grunge and heavy metal, and then get annoyed by the music of TMBG (which is generally pretty easy on the ears) >> I'm a little shocked that some people are surprised by some humans "this really sucks" reactions when hearing Tmbg. I've fought many battles against anti-Tmbg people, but it was difficult, 'cuz i could see why one might find Them annoying as hell! First off: Their music sounds very, um, kindergarten-ish. It's "let's-have-some- chocolate milk-and-turn-on-some-cartoons" music to a lot of people. And i don't know if anyone's noticed, but a few of the popular bands right now(Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock)....they're all kinda "bad-ass" or something. I think "bad-ass" is looked at as sort of a virtue in young society. i understand, too-- it shows strength to not care about things-- caring and kindness makes people seem vulnerable and weak(not in everyone's eyes, i know). Second: Linnells's voice(he sings most of the songs ~i~ personally have heard on the radio, and therefore are the songs more common alternative radio listeners would have heard) is not, um...well, he sounds a lot like Big Bird or something. I know many people who really hate his voice. All in all, it seems pretty obvious why many people would find Them irritating. I mean, lots of humans should give Them more of a chance then some of the people in some of the listees' stories here did, but still... They're sound is definitly not mainstream, i don't think, although it IS close.... i'm kinda surprised They never really broke out, like w/ all that ska and happier crap that piqued like 2 summers ago. oh well, timing really is everything....or, 90% of it.... -Vlad, one of the nightmare people ------------------------------ From: VladAmel@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 17:37:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: rat patrol i just want to politely bitch about this song. Someone needs to go up to Flans and say, "dude...enough with the metal-ish guitar riffs and solos! You're not a rock star! When did tmbg become a guitar band?" Am i alone in this opinion? I think Flans should focus more on being ~original~...although, i guess if he's happy w/ his songs, that's what matters....but i don't have to like it! -Brian, voted Ms. Seattle, '95 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990801215129.13824.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:51:29 -0700 (PDT) From: Agent Felicity Shagwell Subject: TMBG: Back from lurkdom....are we fighting? A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age. --Robert Frost ---Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > > Okay, this is bad. I (and many others, I'm sure) see this as the real > low point of the TMBG-list. Can't we all just > get along? >We've all ben brought here because of our love > for the Johns, which has now turned into hate for each other. I really > don't like to see this. Hey guys! I'm back, after a few weeks of no computer access. (Nothing like spending 4 hours wading through 900 emails, I'll tell ya what. Are we seriously fighting about stuff? Dumb stuff? Come on. I've been on this list (off and on, really) since 1996. And Dexter's right about alt.music.tmbg.- I left in 1996 for a reason. Anyway, list wars are for the nimrods at the Kevin Spacey Mailing List (boy, that was an experience I'll never forget). We are the TMBGML and we love and respect one another. Anastasia Awaiting the flames _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37A4C572.4E1A7E6C@tmbg.org> Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 18:08:50 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: rat patrol VladAmel@aol.com wrote: > i just want to politely bitch about this song. Someone needs to go up to > Flans and say, "dude...enough with the metal-ish guitar riffs and solos! > You're not a rock star! When did tmbg become a guitar band?" Am i alone > in this opinion? I think Flans should focus more on being > ~original~...although, i guess if he's happy w/ his songs, that's what > matters....but i don't have to like it! You are most definitely not alone in this opinion. I absolutely cannot stand Rat Patrol. I think that second only to Pet Name, it's among TMBG's worst songs. But keep in mind that Rat Patrol was recorded when they were all into the guitar rock band thing, and Eric Scummyhorn was still in the band, playing his loud flashy guitar solos, like any showoff lead guitarist. There's a reason Factory Showroom is my least favorite album by a long shot. -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990801224116.82761.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired taste Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 15:41:15 PDT Vlad Amel wrote: > I'm a little shocked that some people are surprised by some >humans >"this >really sucks" reactions when hearing Tmbg. I've fought many battles > >against >anti-Tmbg people, but it was difficult, 'cuz i could see why one >might >find Them annoying as hell! Annoying, sure. I don't know about "annoying as hell," though. I wouldn't be surprised if Sisyphus would prefer listening to TMBG to pushing that boulder. >First off: Their music sounds very, um, kindergarten-ish. It's >"let's-have-some- chocolate milk-and-turn-on-some-cartoons" music to >a >lot of people. I suppose you're talking about music more than lyrics, although the lyrics often have a nursery rhyme quality to them. Actually, that's one of the things that makes TMBG appealing to me. This is coming from someone who owns an annotated book of nursery rhymes and a large number of Oz books, though. >And i don't know if anyone's noticed, but a few of the popular >bands right now(Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock)....they're all kinda > >"bad-ass" or something. Also, except for Kid Rock, they can't spell their own names (unlike Thay Mite B Jients). > Second: Linnells's voice(he sings most of the songs ~i~ >personally >have >heard on the radio, and therefore are the songs more common >alternative >radio >listeners would have heard) is not, um...well, he sounds a lot like >Big >Bird >or something. I know many people who really hate his voice. The voices are something that I can certainly see as a turn-off for some people. I mentioned that my mother doesn't care for Their voices. Personally, I think that Their voices help to emphasize the humourous qualities found in many of Their songs. Then again, some people don't like humourous music, either. (Some people are nuts, aren't they?) >They're sound is definitly not mainstream, i don't think, although it >IS >close.... i'm kinda surprised They never really broke out, like w/ >all >that ska and happier crap that piqued like 2 summers ago. It's interesting how people tend to automatically associate upbeat music with happiness. I can see (or, rather, hear) why people make the connection, but it isn't always accurate. There are some pretty upbeat blues songs, and TMBG has done plenty of upbeat songs with lyrics about death and destruction. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "The Sun is a mass of incandescent gas" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990801225833.59549.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 15:58:32 PDT I've noticed that the list has been fairly inactive recently, so I'm starting another thread. Today, I was thinking about TMBG (and Mono Puff) songs that were sung by people other than the Johns. I guess this was brought about by hearing the demo version of "Don't I Have The Right." I don't like this song much anyway, but it seems that Nancy Whatshername takes it a bit too seriously. While TMBG isn't a comedy band, Their songs do contain quite a bit of humour, and I like it when guest voices acknowledge this. Let's take a look at some of the other TMBG songs that fall into this category: Boat Of Car: I like the vocals better on the pink album version than the demo version, but they don't sound particularly feminine. Margaret Seiler IS a woman, right? Well, her voice is fairly eerie, and that's certainly appropriate for this song. Kiss Me, Son Of God: The version with the Ordinaires has somewhat better quality vocals than the original. The B-side version has a better ending, but I don't think that's the Ordinaires' fault. The Guitar: Laura Cantrell has a nice voice. Even people who complain about other people's voices in TMBG songs usually don't include this one, possibly because she sings with the Johns, and fits into the mix quite well. O, Do Not Forsake Me: This tends to be a "love it or hate it" kind of song. Personally, I like it, and I think that the lead guy from Hudson Shad has a good voice. I wouldn't want to hear him on every track, certainly, but I like to hear someone other than the Johns occasionally, especially if he's better at singing the song. This guy is also a good example of a guest singer who emphasizes the humour in the song. There's also "Night Security," but I don't have anything specific to say about that one at the moment. If anyone has anything to add, please do so. I realize that my comments weren't particularly interesting, but I'm trying. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "I want to be the night security" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990801224607.29666.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 15:46:07 -0700 (PDT) From: Agent Felicity Shagwell Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired taste A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age. --Robert Frost ---Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Vlad Amel wrote: > >'cuz i could see why one >might > >find Them annoying as hell! > > Annoying, sure. I don't know about "annoying as hell," though. I wouldn't > be surprised if Sisyphus would prefer listening to TMBG to pushing that > boulder. What can I say. While TMBG are one of those acquired taste things that annoy me at times, I still stand up for the quality of their music and, well, whatever vision they're fighting for. Or whatever it is that keeps them plugging on. (My guess is that they simply like what they're doing.) > > >First off: Their music sounds very, um, > >kindergarten-ish. > I suppose you're talking about music more than lyrics, although the lyrics > often have a nursery rhyme quality to them. Well, the way the lyrics are phrased is what has the nursery rhyme quality. The lyrics are pointed and interesting. Hell, I've had to look up words from their songs in a dictionary (obsequious, for one). And considering that I am a writer with an unusually good command of the English language, that says something. It's just in the way they juxtapose an appealing sound with very odd subject matter (odd for popular music anyway)- to do so successfully takes talent. > The voices are something that I can certainly see as a turn-off for some > people. > Personally, I think that Their voices help to emphasize the humourous > qualities found in many of Their songs. That's one way of putting it. I think I like their voices because they sound like...you know, regular guys. (And what can I say, They can carry a tune.) Just adding my $0.02, Anya _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002001bedc74$c54fa200$0f9ea2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Harmonius Johns Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 16:22:48 -0700 When a song is sung by Linnel, its written by Linnel. When a song is sung by Flansy, it's written by flansy. correct? Because most of the time in a linnel or flans song they will do there own harmonies, do you all suppose that when they do harmonies together that they wrote the song together? Just thinking aloud..... -=eRiCh=- "And then you go and waste my cyclops time" ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 16:59:23 -0700 Message-ID: <000901bedc79$e0e04420$16c66ac6@tooms> okay, this is kind of a long shot, but... anyone here have tickets to the REM show on september 2 in Seattle and isn't going to use them? *begs, pleads* they're sold out now and i will do anything to get tickets. anyway. i didn't post to the offtopic list cos there's only like, 30 people there. so don't be offended. just an innocent question from a desperate person. bridget "i get to see built to spill though, woo!" guildner bridgie t. "i was a nice girl," she pleaded, "wasn't i?" http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <6ec0945f.24d63b59@aol.com> Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 20:07:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: aquired taste In a message dated 8/1/99 4:39:10 PM, VladAmel@aol.com writes: > And i don't know if anyone's noticed, but a few of the popular >bands right now(Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock)....they're all kinda "bad-ass" > >or something. I think "bad-ass" is looked at as sort of a virtue in young > >society. i was thinking about this, why.. just this morning, watching mtv, before i fell asleep...hoping for blur's "coffee and tv" video to come on, and instead being greeted with this limp bizkit "nookie" crap. and i mean, if you're trying to rebel by listening to "bad-ass" music.. it's not so ~rebellious~ when it's between britney spears and the backstreet boys on total request live. it's hilarious. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37A4E1BF.DEA92B2F@tmbg.org> Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 20:09:35 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Harmonius Johns -=eRiCh=- wrote: > When a song is sung by Linnel, its written by Linnel. When a song is sung by > Flansy, it's written by flansy. correct? Because most of the time in a > linnel or flans song they will do there own harmonies, do you all suppose > that when they do harmonies together that they wrote the song together? Just > thinking aloud..... not really, given that they harmonize with each other on most songs... there are only a handful that are overdubbed (Til My Head Falls Off, Dead, Subliminal, Birdhouse, and maybe a couple more) and as far as I can tell Flans never does his own harmonies. And for the most part, they write individually. as far as who writes what, there should be a list out there somewhere with the following songs on it (or it should be in the FAQ, as I think the question is asked frequently enough :) All the instrumentals are written by Flansburgh (as far as we can tell) Puppet Head (joint effort, sung by Flansburgh) Cowtown (written by Linnell, sung mostly by Flansburgh) The World's Address (written by Linnell, sung by Flansburgh) Shoehorn with Teeth (written by Linnell[1], sung mostly by Flansburgh) I Palindrome I (idea by Flansburgh, everything else by Linnell) Subliminal (lyrics by Flansburgh, music by Linnell, sung by Linnell) NyQuil Driver (collaboration of Linnell, Flansburgh, Maimone, Doherty) Rat Patrol (lyrics by Flansburgh, music by Linnell, sung by Linnell[2]) [1] there's a theory that they wrote the verses they sing in this one, and that they wrote it (jokingly) about each other. [2] the Dial-a-Song version is sung a capella by Flansburgh -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:18:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs This really isn't about someone appearing in a TMBG song, but has anyone out there heard of "The Bobs"? The Bobs are an acapella group using no instruments other than their voices. They do two TMBG covers, one of no other than "Particle Man", and surprisingly enough, "Dinner Bell". They are really good covers considering that The Bobs don't play instruments. Mike Remember, the only thing better than food, is free food!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 21:15:25 -0400 From: Mike Russo Message-ID: <37A4F12C.40BF31EB@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems, Inc. Subject: Re: TMBG: rat patrol VladAmel@aol.com wrote: > i just want to politely bitch about this song. Someone needs to go up to > Flans and say, "dude...enough with the metal-ish guitar riffs and solos! > You're not a rock star! When did tmbg become a guitar band?" Am i alone Uh, Flans' original DAS demo of Rat Patrol is just him singing, and the song is in a major key. Once Linnell got hold of it he sung it in his witchy rocker voice in minor, and well... i guess i'm defending it cos I like it. :) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: <4d5fc0d7.24d64c6e@aol.com> Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:20:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired taste In a message dated 8/1/1999 7:05:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ana_ng@rocketmail.com writes: << That's one way of putting it. I think I like their voices because they sound like...you know, regular guys. (And what can I say, They can carry a tune.) >> I like Their voices for the simple fact of the monotone quality. It's weird, I know that They are singing different notes, but it sounds like the speaker from my high school graduation. I like that for some strange reason. Mike Remember, the only thing better than food, is free food!!! ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <4c9d80f4.24d64d9f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:25:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: rat patrol Being a guitar player myself I can say that they aren't turning into a guitar band. A lot of the guitar that they do is rather simple or sometimes just the same melody I could see if they were getting into Van Halen type stuff, but it isn't. I have no idea where I'm going with this so I'll be quiet now. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:27:15 EDT Subject: TMBG:Older Hey, If anyone is interested I have the tabs / chords figured out for Older. I see that they aren't at tmbg.org or at OLGA and I've searched and searched and couldn't find them. If anyone wants them I'd be happy to e-mail it to you. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 22:17:07 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot Message-id: <37A4FFA0.A493A715@wmich.edu> > okay, this is kind of a long shot, but... anyone here have tickets to the > REM show on september 2 in Seattle and isn't going to use them? *begs, > pleads* > > they're sold out now and i will do anything to get tickets. Um... that would be a NO.... but I am in a similar predicament... I'm in desperation to find REM tix to their Aug. 23rd show @ Pine Knob in Michigan.... So If ANYONE knows ANYONE who is looking to get rid of two Tix to this show.... I will sell my soul for them... Thank you, and good night... ~Sarah, "All the children run away from me" -- Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck Now Watching: Fox News at Ten... woo-hoo! http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ From: aknoleages@webtv.net (Dude_Menes) Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 19:28:08 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: i Message-ID: <22977-37A50238-5917@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> ello,everybody. I am knew. Asyoucanse,iiek ber. nd i kant speel. Snap diddy dooo, MacBeth www.beer.com http://community.webtv.net/aknoleages/StonedWhywate http://members.tripod.com/~LetterboxEdition ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:23:48 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Message-ID: On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I've noticed that the list has been fairly inactive recently, so I'm > starting another thread. Today, I was thinking about TMBG (and Mono Puff) > songs that were sung by people other than the Johns. I guess this was > brought about by hearing the demo version of "Don't I Have The Right." I > don't like this song much anyway, but it seems that Nancy Whatshername takes > it a bit too seriously. Frankly, I consider it a quite serious song, and I like the way she sings it.. If I remember correctly, it's not a Flans original, either; isn't it a cover? Anyway, I really like that song, even though it's quite country-esque and until recently I rejected anything that sounded remotely like country. However, I've been introduced to the wonders of Johnny Cash and the Niagra, Niagra soundtrack, and I'm slowly coming around. It'll be a cold day in hell when I buy a Dwight Yoakam cd, though. Kirsten "I've got the funk in my trousers for sure!" - Space Ghost ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990802034209.70061.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired taste Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 20:42:08 PDT Agent Felicity Shagwell wrote: >---Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > > Vlad Amel wrote: > > >First off: Their music sounds very, um, > > >kindergarten-ish. > > > I suppose you're talking about music more than > >lyrics, although the lyrics > > often have a nursery rhyme quality to them. >Well, the way the lyrics are phrased is what has the >nursery rhyme quality. The lyrics are pointed and >interesting. Hell, I've had to look up words from >their songs in a dictionary (obsequious, for one). >And considering that I am a writer with an unusually >good command of the English language, that says >something. >It's just in the way they juxtapose an appealing >sound with very odd subject matter (odd for popular >music anyway)- to do so successfully takes talent. > > > The voices are something that I can certainly see > >as a turn-off for some > > people. > > Personally, I think that Their voices help to > >emphasize the humourous > > qualities found in many of Their songs. > >That's one way of putting it. >I think I like their voices because they sound >like...you know, regular guys. (And what can I say, >They can carry a tune.) I've been thinking about this subject, and it occurred to me that the same complaints that Mr. Vlad brought to our attention could pertain to some more popular bands. The most obvious example would be the Beatles. They often had a nursery rhyme sort of quality to their lyrics and music (throughout most of _Abbey Road_, for instance), and they have regular-guy sorts of voices (which sound completely different from the voices of Flans and Linnell, but that's because they came from different parts of the world). They're still incredibly popular, though (but maybe not with the metal/grunge/whatever crowd). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Golden slumbers fill your eyes" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990802035159.28064.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Harmonious Johns Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 20:51:58 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >All the instrumentals are written by Flansburgh (as far as we can >tell) I'm pretty sure "Space Suit" was written by Linnell, as a demonstration of the accordion chords that he had learned. (This was early on in his career; the song wasn't released until quite a bit later). >NyQuil Driver (collaboration of Linnell, Flansburgh, Maimone, >Doherty) Do we know that both Johns participated in writing this one? _John Henry_ credits it to "They Might Be Giants/Maimone/Doherty," but _Factory Showroom_ has a similar credit (to TMBG and Hal Cragin), and I'm pretty sure Linnell wasn't involved in writing that one. A few additions: The Edison Museum (written by Linnell and Brian Dewan, sung by Nick Hill on the _Long Tall Weekend_ version) Lullaby To Nightmares (written by Joshua Fried, originally sung by him, later sung by both Johns) James K. Polk (written by Linnell and Matthew Hill, sung by Linnell) S-E-X-X-Y, as I mentioned before, was written by Flansburgh and Hal Cragin. My list of TMBG songs (located at ) tells who wrote each song, but there are a lot of songs left uncredited, and probably some mistakes. I'd appreciate any help I can get on it. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Underneath the shady tree, a shadow sitting next to me" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:53:01 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot Message-ID: <19990801.235302.-144229.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: Jeff Parker I know this will get me nowhere and i hate to add to the off-topic thread but... If anyone has any tickets to the NC or Georgia shows at the end of August i would be more than glad to take em off your hands... desperation is my middle name, btw... That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v np: "Hope" - R.E.M. On Sun, 01 Aug 1999 22:17:07 -0400 Sarah writes: >> okay, this is kind of a long shot, but... anyone here have tickets >to the >> REM show on september 2 in Seattle and isn't going to use them? >*begs, >> pleads* >> >> they're sold out now and i will do anything to get tickets. > >Um... that would be a NO.... but I am in a similar predicament... >I'm in desperation to find REM tix to their Aug. 23rd show @ Pine Knob >in >Michigan.... >So If ANYONE knows ANYONE who is looking to get rid of two Tix to this >show.... > >I will sell my soul for them... > >Thank you, and good night... > >~Sarah, "All the children run away from me" > >-- >Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck >Now Watching: Fox News at Ten... woo-hoo! > http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath > ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990802035344.56089.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 20:53:44 PDT Mike BigTMBGFan wrote: >This really isn't about someone appearing in a TMBG song, but has >anyone >out >there heard of "The Bobs"? The Bobs are an acapella group using no >instruments other than their voices. They do two TMBG covers, one of >no >other than "Particle Man", and surprisingly enough, "Dinner Bell". >They >are >really good covers considering that The Bobs don't play instruments. I saw them live a few years ago, and their set included "Particle Man." I'm considering purchasing (at least) one of their albums. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "What's he like? It's not important" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:56:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Harmonious Johns In a message dated 8/1/99 11:53:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << >All the instrumentals are written by Flansburgh (as far as we can >tell) I'm pretty sure "Space Suit" was written by Linnell, as a demonstration of the accordion chords that he had learned. (This was early on in his career; the song wasn't released until quite a bit later).<< No. Space Suit was written by Flansburgh. What you said is vaguely similar to the actual story, except it wasn't Linnell, it was Flansburgh. I don't know why all the instrumentals would be written by Flans...based on listening to Linnell's Hall of Mayors cd, it seems he's more into that... >>Lullaby To Nightmares (written by Joshua Fried, originally sung by him, later sung by both Johns) >> The music is by Flans Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990802040041.99504.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 21:00:40 PDT Kirsten L. Brodbeck wrote: >On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > I've noticed that the list has been fairly inactive recently, so > > >I'm > > starting another thread. Today, I was thinking about TMBG (and > > >Mono Puff) > > songs that were sung by people other than the Johns. I guess this > > >was > > brought about by hearing the demo version of "Don't I Have The > > >Right." I > > don't like this song much anyway, but it seems that Nancy > > >Whatshername takes it a bit too seriously. > > Frankly, I consider it a quite serious song, and I like the >way she sings >it.. Perhaps I just have trouble taking country music in general seriously. It's really not a bad song or a bad vocal, and I can see why you'd like it; I just don't care for its style very much. Then again, one of the great things about the Johns is that They can write in so many different styles. >If I remember correctly, it's not a Flans original, >either; isn't it a cover? I'm pretty sure it's a Flans original. If someone has the _Unsupervised_ liner notes handy, they can check. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Daddy'll sing bass" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:07:03 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Message-ID: <22971-37A51967-29163@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I'm pretty sure it's a Flans original. If someone has the _Unsupervised_ liner notes handy, they can check. Taken from the Unupervised liner notes: "All songs Flansburgh, Mono Puff Music BMI except Distant Antenna Calhoon/Cragin/Flansburgh/Viola, Mono Puff Music BMI" So there you have it. Every song was written by only Flansburgh, except for Distant Antenna. -dex <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>"You can't grow, you don't have enough room." <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:11:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs In a message dated 8/2/99 12:08:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: << So there you have it. Every song was written by only Flansburgh, except for Distant Antenna. -dex >> Errr I dont care what the liner notes say, but I know a lot of Unsupervised is covers. Don't Break The Heart, Devil went down to Newport, Dr.Kildare, Hello Hello, and Don't I Have the Right are covers. Is Don't I Have The Right by someone named Connie Champagne? Because on the compilation Lo-Fi Experience, it has her singing it, and it sounds old.. Jordan ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:15:31 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Message-ID: <22976-37A51B63-8683@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Woops! My bad, you are correct. Don't Break the Heart and Devil are both covers. I guess I should read more carefully next time. However, it doesn't say that Don't I have the Right is a cover, and I'm sure of that. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <91480651.24d6773b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:23:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs << Perhaps I just have trouble taking country music in general seriously. It's really not a bad song or a bad vocal, and I can see why you'd like it; I just don't care for its style very much. Then again, one of the great things about the Johns is that They can write in so many different styles. I love the original DAS version of this song; Flans sings it in a bouncy faux country style that always makes me grin. If only it had the milk exploding in coffee line, it would be perfect. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990802043905.94816.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 21:39:04 PDT Jordan wrote: >In a message dated 8/2/99 12:08:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: > ><< So there you have it. Every song was written by only Flansburgh, >except >for Distant Antenna. -dex >> > > >Errr I dont care what the liner notes say, but I know a lot of > >Unsupervised >is covers. Don't Break The Heart, Devil went down to Newport, >Dr.Kildare, >Hello Hello, and Don't I Have the Right are covers. The lyrics to "Dr. Kildare" were written by Flans, and he didn't know who wrote the music (it was on an uncredited ska mix tape, or something like that). >Is Don't I Have The Right by someone named Connie Champagne? Because >on >the >compilation Lo-Fi Experience, it has her singing it, and it sounds >old.. I'm pretty sure that the _Unsupervised_ liner notes credit this to Flans, but I doubt that your collection would include a cover of a Flansburgh song (especially since it sounds like it was released before Flans was even born), so it's probably a cover. I don't know why the liner notes would have missed this. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Don't I have the right to be loved?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-2 *****************************