Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 29 Sunday, 29 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Song intro?: lyrics Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Way back when TMBG: Track List! TMBG: New Concert Date TMBG: Re: New Concert Date TMBG: Upcoming Vegas show TMBG: Seattle Tour Date TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Upcoming Vegas show TMBG: Another CA Show TMBG: Flans' religious association -- TMBG: Aagh!!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Re: TMBG: Another CA Show Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Re: TMBG: Another CA Show Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Re: TMBG: Seattle Tour Date Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: TMBG food TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Re: TMBG: DFB Re: TMBG: DFB aka Hotel Detective TMBG: Re: Oriental Dude NON TMBG: Keswick Moxxy show Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Bdays. Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. TMBG: Re: Way back when Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Re: TMBG: Re: Way back when TMBG: non-tmbg: posting habits Re: TMBG: Dream! TMBG: Re: Way back when Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Re: TMBG: Re: Oriental Dude Re: TMBG: Way back when Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: TMBG: Way back when Date: Sat, Aug 28 1999 2:10:34 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <06103420337060@thinner.com> You know, I was just thinking about back when I first got into TMBG, and what I thought I knew. It's so funny. I just thought I'd share some examples with you guys: Back when I first got into TMBG... 1) I thought they were German for some reason. When asked by my Uncle, "Where are these guys from?," I replied, "I think they're from Germany or something." Then my Uncle said, "Yeah, cause no Americans would write these lyrics." I find it extremely funny that they turned out to be good 'ol Brooklyn boys. 2) I thought that John Flansburgh sang every song (don't ask me why, I just did). 3) I had no clue what they looked like, so every picture of people I saw on their albums, I thought, "I bet that's them." I know that I thought those people in the orange jump suits inside the Apollo 18 liner notes were them. It just fit, cause, you know, 2 guys inside liner notes of an album by a pop DUO. I later got THEN: The Earlier Years, and saw actual pics of them. 4) I thought that Flood was the only album they ever released, cause that was the first album of theirs I was exposed to, and I hadn't heard anything else by or about them. 5) I thought that Linnell was pronounced LEN-OLE. That's I can remember now, but I'm sure there's something else. Way down inside me, I can feel it comin' back...nope, false alarm. AS you can see, I was extremely misinformed. Does anyone else have any similiar stories? Or even some of the same as me? Please share. Love? What do you know of love?! Dexter M. Flansburgh * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:11:53 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Message-ID: <19990828.021824.-168971.1.gray42@juno.com> It seems to be everyone either loves a song or really > isn't > interested in it. Example: I've never met a person who liked "Hotel > Detective", and EVERYONE, when I play it for them, likes "Spiralling > Shape". > This is what I've found thus far anyway... Hmmm, I like the idea behing Hotel Detective, I LOVE the vidio (Lincoln, *yay*), and I was once obssessed with the EP version (done by Linnell?). But I guess that doesn't count does it. Also, when I see that vidio, I keep thinking about Conan O' Brian on account of the animation :P Hotel Detective (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <8937daef.24f8dc7a@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:32:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when > 5) I thought that Linnell was pronounced LEN-OLE. I thought it was LIN-el. Easy enough mistake, no? When I found out it was LinNELL (I pray to God (And I'm not a religious person so that's amazing :)) that I'm not wrong and making a fool out of myself!) I was like, "LinNELL? that sounds like a line of hair care products, I like it the other way. It sounds cute and humble the other way!" Lydia Loving TMBG and getting their names wrong since 1837! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <8b3cea70.24f8dd14@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:35:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! ::Crowls into a corner and is oppressed:: Let it DIE! I was mean and judgemental and stoned! Well, not the last one but it just sounded like a good excuse! (Actually, I imagine I'd like Hotel Detective a LOT if I was stoned ;) ) and I'm sorry! Lydia Bending under the whim of the oppressive masses since 1837! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:10:55 -0700 From: Rich Bunnell Message-ID: <37C7998F.2567@ix.netcom.com> Organization: Netcom Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! John wrote: > > > Here is the first solo album from John Linnell > > "First" means there will be more! More more! More Linnell! Solo > Flansburgh turned out to be like Oreo DoubleStuf, which just has more of > that whippity-creme, but Linnell is like Oreo BigStuf, which was just a > honkin'-ass Gigantor Oreo! Fifty states! > > No -- First means that it's the first. Doi. Just because somebody releases a > "first album" doesn't mean that they're going to release a second one. Well, unless Linnell releases the State Songs album with all 50 states covered (which he won't) then the thing in the article stating that he's gonna cover all 50 states indicates more albums to come. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 08:41:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when In a message dated 8/28/99 2:16:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, fatter@thinner.com writes: << 4) I thought that Flood was the only album they ever released, cause that was the first album of theirs I was exposed to, and I hadn't heard anything else by or about them. >> Heh heh, I thought this, too -- until I saw in the Columbia House catalog that They had not only "Flood" listed, but "Apollo 18" as well. I heard parts of "She's Actual Size" and "The Statue Got Me High," and thought that TMBG were suddenly dropping acid, because at first I thought those songs seemed too bizarre for my tastes (which seems strange to me, looking back on it now, because I now love all Their stuff equally, and those songs are not really "that" different from any of their others). I don't remember where I heard those songs samples, but it wasn't off the album...it might have been some promotional thing that included music clips off their new album. So, being woefully ignorant, I wandered off into other musical pastures, on the way catching another glimpse at the Columbia House catalog (a few years later), seeing that TMBG had yet another album in their discography available, "John Henry." I was a bit surprised to see that the guys were still putting albums out, but didn't pay much attention beyond that...out into the other pastures I went, chasing other "pretty butterflies" of song that were out there. So, I finally get on The Internet in late 1997, and I see my son is working with these new Mp3 things...he has a search engine -- to hunt for songs, albums, and artists...I suddenly remember TMBG, actually stuck there as a preferred favorite of mine for so long...I ask my son to type it in, and search for anything on them...he finds tons! I find out that the band has put out yet another album, "Factory Showroom." I hear an Mp3 of STD's "Why Does The Sun Shine?", and am immediately re-smitten. I set out to buy all Their albums, check out tmbg.com, read all the FAQs, join the mailing list, join the Info club, finally see Them in concert. I should've stuck it out with Them, given Them more of a chance after "Flood," but...but...I was distracted by other things {looks down at the floor in shame}. <<3) I had no clue what they looked like, so every picture of people I saw on their albums, I thought, "I bet that's them." I know that I thought those people in the orange jump suits inside the Apollo 18 liner notes were them. It just fit, cause, you know, 2 guys inside liner notes of an album by a pop DUO. I later got THEN: The Earlier Years, and saw actual pics of them.>> I thought the guys in the photos on the front and inside cover of "Flood" were the Johns :-) Also, to add one of my unique types of misinformation here, I thought that Flansburgh was Linnell, and vice versa. I have no idea how I came to this conclusion. I only just found out the truth when I started looking up info on Them on the Net. (and when I found out the truth, trust me, did I feel stupid). Karen J. Riley :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <7a16a088.24f93806@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 09:03:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! In a message dated 8/28/99 4:30:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cbunnell@ix.netcom.com writes: << Well, unless Linnell releases the State Songs album with all 50 states covered (which he won't) then the thing in the article stating that he's gonna cover all 50 states indicates more albums to come. >> Well, I've read an interview with Mr. Linnell, where he states that he's not sure if he'll ever complete all the songs, because every time he gets around to recording them, he wants to change them. He might have been joking, but plenty of artists have left work unfinished (especially larger endeavors), to move onto other things. So, time will tell, I suppose. I never come to expect anything from the Johns (solo or otherwise), because their work tends to shift styles over time. I describe Them as "the kind of band you learn to grow with." :-) Karen J. Riley MuseKJ@aol.com "If you describe things as better than they are, you are considered to be a romantic; if you describe things as worse than they are, you will be called a realist; and if you describe things exactly as they are, you will be thought of as a satirist." Quentin Crisp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:10:01 -0400 From: The Demonic Kangaroo Message-ID: <37C7FBC9.359EA935@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: State Song intro?: lyrics Here's a transcript of the "Song of the Fifty States" MP3 I made a while back; it was performed live. -Mike "Hey everybody, thanks for coming. I'm John Linnell, this is Mr. Marcus Ross. We're gonna play some states songs.. songs of the united states; not the real songs, the ones that I made up. First we'll start with the theme of the songs of the fifty states, which I also made up." The song of the fifty states, the song of the fifty states. The time has come for us to sing about a certain place where everything in the control of people who are down in a hole. The song of the fifty states, the song of the fifty states. No two alike but each connected by a golden thread. I'll try not to forget all the words, and leave that job to those who have heard.. state songs, state songs.. I can't wait for my favorite one. I'm not gonna say they're great, I ain't gonna say they ain't but I recall and will relate the words and music of the fifty songs of the fifty states, the songs of the fifty states. The time has come for us to sing about a certain place where everything is in the control of people who are under the ground. State songs, state songs.. I can't wait for my favorite one. Now hear the melody, the harmony the pounding rhythm; the ideas, notes and words. Every state a different composition keeping me awake, late at night. Can't get them out of my mind! State songs, state songs.. I can't wait for my favorite one. I'm not gonna say they're great, I ain't gonna say they ain't but I recall and will relate the words and music of the fifty songs of the fifty states, the songs of the fifty states. The time has come for us to sing about a certain place where everything is in the control of men who are controlling our minds. State songs, state songs, state songs, state songs, state songs, state songs, state songs. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:02:12 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C80804.272691BF@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Dont you hate that?! I had that little problem work for a couple of BNWs But now I'm at school and lord knows I have no life here, so I got to see it. YAY! -A Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Adrienne Spruill wrote: > >WOOHOO JOHN AND JOHN! Flans looked soooooo gooooood, with the exception > >of the wedding ring...sorry, i'm terribly jealous of Robin. My boyfriend > >say's Linnell has cool hair. I liked that "video." Is it just me, or did > >the two of them sound very different that usual? > > I didn't see it. I had to work until 10, which still might have left me > enough time to watch the Johns' appearance, if it hadn't been for that > storm. Stupid lousy weather. > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:02:21 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Message-ID: <19990828.123110.9750.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Actually, I thought King Weed was really pretty funny. The music was kind of odd, and it seemed difficult at some points to fit all the words in a proper verse, but I thought the lyrics were pretty damn amusing. I liked the whole popping up out of the weeds scene too. Besides, if anyone thinks that was probably hastily put together, I can't wait until they get to the song about String Theory! ever-sincere, eriKa, and they wore suits! what more do you want? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:59:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Message-ID: <19990828.123110.9750.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Dexter reminisced: >2) I thought that John Flansburgh sang every song (don't ask me why, I just did). I didn't realize that both Johns sang for a while myself either... it was especially confusing with the vocal dubbing - it just lead me to believe that the background singer sounded a lot like the lead vocalist. I think one time I was listening to Apollo 18, and, while listening to the differences between I Palindrome I and She's Actual Size, I realized that there were two singers. >3) I had no clue what they looked like, so every picture of people I saw on their >albums, I thought, "I bet that's them." I know that I thought those people in the orange >jump suits inside the Apollo 18 liner notes were them. It just fit, cause, you know, 2 >guys inside liner notes of an album by a pop DUO. I later got THEN: The Earlier >Years, and saw actual pics of them. Is there any particular reason why They have no real pictures of Them in any of the regular albums [excluding Then]? I was just thinking about that the other day... ever-sincere, eriKa, I saved the cahows from extinction! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:43:13 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when At my first TMBG concert, I was shocked when I first hear Flansburgh talk! No offense to him, but for being a big guy, he has a REALLY high voice. And Linnell has the deep voice. I always had the two mixed up as to who sang what. It was pretty weird seeing linnell's voice coming out of flansburgh's mouth (well, that's what i used to think at least) I also used to think that linnell was a heroin addict. I mean, have you ever seen the guys arms? It's pretty disguisting....veins everywhere. God, if you have veins like that it would be a waste to NOT be shooting up. If you ever see their viva variety performance, linnell is also acting pretty....weird. At the end credits he's just standing around looking kinda funny. I was convinced he was on drugs back then. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:07:53 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Message-ID: <19990828.150755.11454.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >I also used to think that linnell was a heroin addict. I mean, have you ever >seen the guys arms? It's pretty disguisting....veins everywhere. a lot of skinny guys I've seen are like that. it *is* rather weird looking, though. >God, if you have veins like that it would be a waste to NOT be shooting up. erm. >If you ever see their viva variety performance, linnell is also acting >pretty....weird. At the end credits he's just standing around looking kinda >funny. I was convinced he was on drugs back then. how so? he didn't seem that weird to me... ever-sincere, eriKa, i mean, flans was *right* up in front of the camera. isn't that weird? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004701bef197$fd97eae0$8e9da2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Track List! Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:57:49 -0700 The State Songs Track List! Illinois The Songs of the Fifty States West Virginia South Carolina Idaho Montana Pennsylvania Utah Arkansas Iowa Mississippi Maine Oregon Michigan New Hampshire Nevada -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01bef19a$1812dea0$8e9da2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: New Concert Date Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:12:52 -0700 They Might Be Giants @ The Showbox Theater October 1, 1999 *21 and older only* -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301bef19a$32eb6da0$8e9da2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Re: New Concert Date Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:13:38 -0700 thats in Seattle, Wa -=eRiCh=- > They Might Be Giants @ The Showbox Theater > October 1, 1999 > *21 and older only* > > -=eRiCh=- > ------------------------------ From: Lvdryad@aol.com Message-ID: <8757f6a7.24f9b330@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 17:48:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Upcoming Vegas show Hey, I'm new to the list (although TMBG has been my favorite band for 8 years) and I was wondering if any of you live here in Vegas and plan on going to their concert at the Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel on September 25? I just got my tickets this morning! If you plan on going, tickets are cheaper at the Joint ($20) than through Ticketmaster (I think it was something like $27+) and it's standing room only (which in my opinion is considerably better than seating!) Whoever you are if you're going I'll see you there! Rebecca ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901bef1a0$b7c73620$e1a208d0@northstar> From: "Kelly Mendenhall" Subject: TMBG: Seattle Tour Date Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:00:18 -0700 Heh, sorry Erich, didn't really mean to send you a private e-mail..but hey...I was so excited I totally forgot what the hell it was I was doing. But YAY! They're not leaving Seattle off their tour of the west coast! I'm totally stoked about it. Anyone who wants to meet up for the show lemme know...anyone from some distance that might wanna come...my apartment in could probably hold two people beyond myself...just don't be some crazed axe murdidlyurdler... Later, Kelly ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:45:07 -0500 From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Message-ID: Organization: The University of Iowa Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, John wrote: > "First" means there will be more! More more! More Linnell! > > No -- First means that it's the first. Doi The "joke" being partially hyperbolic over-enthusiasm and partially how that enthusiasm forced a Linnell-crazed fan into obviously faulty, ridiculous "logical" deductions re: future installments of "State Songs". This was not particularly funny, though, and the Big Laugh invariably comes when someone "corrects" joke-logic. > Just because somebody releases a "first album" doesn't mean that they're > going to release a second one You mean like Marcy Playground? -Rev. Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001801bef1a6$becb1d00$359da2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: Upcoming Vegas show Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:43:26 -0700 I'm going! I'm moving to LA from Seattle next week and the Vegas show is not 21 and older like the LA show, good thing im not staying around here cause the friggin Seattle show is 21 and older too!!! -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:54:27 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Another CA Show Message-ID: <19990828.165430.-879755.1.Garrett27@juno.com> *grumble grumble* This is just wrong: 21 AND OVER WITH I.D. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS W*SPECIAL GUEST DOORS 8PM @ 4TH & B 345 B STREET*SAN DIEGO FRI SEP 24, 1999 9:00PM Found it on Ticketmaster today for all of you under age Southern California fans to gripe about (me included). But of course it's wonderful for those old enough...have a good time, without me. Okay, I'll stop now. Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:04:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Isn't John Flansburgh Jewish? If so, I always found it wierd that in "put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head" he sings: "..check's in the mail, see you at church, and don't you ever change..." At church? Just curious. Shalom! Rick "See you at shul!" Jennings ------------------------------ From: GypsyOfSOL@aol.com Message-ID: <8a0bfe9d.24f9d541@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:13:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: Aagh!!!!!!!!! I doubt anyone will be really interested in my annoyance, but I'm going insane! I've been hoping to get to a TMBG concert for years, and I was so close this time. First I heard of the Portland concert, arranged transportation and all that, only to have it dawn on me that I can't go on a school night. Then I leapt at the chance to go to the Seattle show, but I am 5 years too young to go. The same sort of thing happened earlier this summer, when I was struggling to get to the Bare Naked Ladies concert. Aauuggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Nena ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <9344cd53.24f9d563@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:14:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- In a message dated 8/28/99 7:06:45 PM, RingOH@aol.com writes: >sn't John Flansburgh Jewish? If so, I always found it wierd that in "put > >Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head" he sings: > >"..check's in the mail, see you at church, and don't you ever change..." > >At church? Just curious. > lyrics are lyrics, people. they're not always autobiographical. sarah ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:26:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Another CA Show In a message dated 8/28/99 7:52:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, garrett27@juno.com writes: > 21 AND OVER WITH I.D. > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS > W*SPECIAL GUEST > DOORS 8PM @ 4TH & B > 345 B STREET*SAN DIEGO > FRI SEP 24, 1999 9:00PM > > > Found it on Ticketmaster today for all of you under age Southern > California fans to gripe about (me included). But of course it's > wonderful for those old enough...have a good time, without me. Okay, > I'll stop now. Why DO they do that?! I mean.. Aside from a lot of cursing, what is there that they do in over 21 shows that is so hideous and terrible and should not be seen by young eyes?! Lydia Bashing her head against various hard objects out of sheer mind-boggling fury since 1837! (Not that she lives anywhere NEAR So. Cal....) ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <4fa2d98f.24f9d939@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:30:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- In a message dated 8/28/99 8:16:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: > lyrics are lyrics, people. > > they're not always autobiographical. > > sarah Well, do we know what they ARE? I mean, I really can NOT picture Linnell as a conservative Catholic or anything, and I'm fairly sure Flansy's not into Buddhism... Speaking of Flansy, sorry to jump around like this, but HOW does he manage to ALWAYS look so wonderfully 50's? It boggles the mind! And it suits him so well too :) Lydia Laughing adoringly at Flansy's nostalgic appearance since 1837! ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <66cc06d9.24f9da24@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:34:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Another CA Show In a message dated 8/28/99 7:29:06 PM, HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: > >Why DO they do that?! I mean.. Aside from a lot of cursing, what is there > >that they do in over 21 shows that is so hideous and terrible and should >not >be seen by young eyes?! the venues want everyone to buy beer and other alcoholic drinks, as that's how they make money. they stupidly assume that everyone who goes there is going to buy a drink or 2. (okay, well maybe they don't assume.. but chances are better of them making more money if the crowd is all over 21)... it's very dumb, and very sad. some venues are lieniant though, and will let you in with adult supervision. you should call them to ask. it doesn't hurt. many aren't, but... like i said.. it wouldn't hurt to try; call ahead. sarah, a few days away from her 18th birthday, so at least she can go to 18+ shows now... ^_^ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:46:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- In a message dated 8/28/99 7:33:00 PM, HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: >Well, do we know what they ARE? I mean, I really can NOT picture Linnell >as a >conservative Catholic or anything, and I'm fairly sure Flansy's not into > >Buddhism... "I respect God, but I don't believe in him." --John Linnell {by the way, occasionally when i use the computer after my mom has, like i am now, the memory is really low and i must restart.. and the text in the window bars is chopped off... right now this mail says "Re: TMBG: Flans' religious ass"} sarah (who, incidentally, is either atheist or agnostic... and that alone shows that she couldn't care less ) ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <7a19133f.24f9dd6c@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:48:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- In a message dated 8/28/99 8:33:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: << Well, do we know what they ARE? I mean, I really can NOT picture Linnell as a conservative Catholic or anything, and I'm fairly sure Flansy's not into Buddhism... >> Both Johns don't believe in God (Linnell said in an interview, and somebody has quoted Flansburgh stating this somewhere...)..but as far as theyre religious ethnic backgrounds, I don't really know.. Jordan ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:39:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Tour Date Hello~ I'll be there! *jumping up and down on the bed* YES! Dinner before hand, perhaps? ooooooooo, this sounds like fun! That's all I've got to say about that.... -Kreadoubt <----not a crazed murderer "aaaH HA! It isn't WORKING! " JL In a message dated 8/28/99 2:58:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, kmend@pacific.telebyte.com writes: > Heh, sorry Erich, didn't really mean to send you a private e-mail..but > hey...I was so excited I totally forgot what the hell it was I was doing. > But YAY! They're not leaving Seattle off their tour of the west coast! I'm > totally stoked about it. Anyone who wants to meet up for the show lemme > know...anyone from some distance that might wanna come...my apartment in > could probably hold two people beyond myself...just don't be some crazed axe > murdidlyurdler... > > Later, > Kelly ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:53:39 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C892A3.4E2E0F6A@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) I like the short, Worm look also. Mostly because I dont really care for guy with long hair. -A ARealWorm@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 99-08-16 23:17:03 EDT, you write: > > << Personally, I think what I like the most about DFB is watching the Johns > progressively get younger in each video. :o) > -A > >> > > I like watching Linnel's hair throughout DFB. From the short hair cut in > Worm, to the extremely long hair in Guitar, to the bouncy hair in Crane. > While on the subject...what's everyone's favorite Linnel hair? I personally > like the short Worm look. Mainly, cuz I have short hair myself... > > "Find a deep cave to hide in, in a million years they'll find me, only dust > and a plaque that reads "Here Lies Poor Old Jack" > ~TNBC > > Worm (Who is obsessed with TNBC after finally finding the soundtrack!) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:09:57 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89675.525170FC@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG food EW, head cheese, EW EW EW...sorry, i work in a deli. Anyway, I love Flansburger. Thats great!!! -A Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > eRiCh wrote: > > >Or maybe Flan Sburgh. > > > >No, no. instead how about a Flansburger? > > What about Linnellguini, or, for the very brave, She Thinks She's Edith Head > Cheese. > > Has anyone suggested "Finished With Pies" yet? > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:23:30 -0400 Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Message-ID: <19990828.221749.-203189.0.presence76@juno.com> From: Adam Shoop MrBean43@aol.com asks: >Does anyone know how many copies of LTW have been downloaded? I know Linnell said he >wasn't keeping track, but that was a few days after it was first released. I think album sales might be a little confusing for this album. I'm not sure why you would want to, but you can purchase the tracks individually. This album is more of an album for the really big TMBG fans, who would want all of it. And if you only sampled one track, you are liable to make generalizations about the rest of the album that most likely aren't true. Dexter Flansburgh writes: >I had no clue what they looked like, so every picture of people I saw on their albums, I thought, >"I bet that's them." Umm, what happened when you bought Lincoln? Listen: I need a little clarification about Their EP's. Which one has Oh Tannenbaum (sp?)? Why wasn't the material from that EP included on Then: The Earlier Years? And, if I have Then, and the Why Does the Sun Shine EP, am I missing any of the material only released in this form aside from material mentioned on the EP above? And so on. Adam ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:11:53 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C896E9.7825C659@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: DFB OMG yes!!! Pelvic thrusts all the way!! They both look like cuties in that one, but I'm a Flans girl. And I also like the part where they lurch forward...YAY!!!! hehe. -A Keem Bearlee wrote: > > >with "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head" in a close 3rd, Flans is >just > >too damn cute in that one, but he's always a cutie. > > IS HE EVER!!!!!!! I love how both the Johns lurch forwards and Flans puts > his hand to his neck.... and then the pelvic thrust with extended index > finger. I think that is my favorite video... or maybe tied with Ana Ng. > > ~~~~~~~ > -KeembearLEE > "There's no money above the fifth fret." > http://jump.to/keembearlee > ~~~~~~~ > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:13:46 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C8975A.E9E8E641@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: DFB aka Hotel Detective I dont like the Johns as cartoon characters...well, I dont like Flans as a pig. Sure, he's rounder than linnell, but he's by no means fat. Pffff... -A Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Adrienne Spruill wrote: > >Personally, I think what I like the most about DFB is watching the >Johns > >progressively get younger in each video. :o) > > I agree. I've also noticed that Linnell seems to change his hairstyle every > once in a while, while Flans pretty much sticks to the same appearance > (aside from his age). The oddest change in appearance occurs in the last > video, though. Suddenly, the Johns have become cartoon animals! > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:18:49 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89889.3948DCF9@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Oriental Dude i dont know the Asian guys name, but he's in Mono Puff too. -A MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > Does anyone know who the asian guy from the Dr. Worm video is? He and > Flansburgh both look at eachother, then face the camera in one part. If you > don't know who I mean, well then this is an excuse to go watch DFB again and > make good use of that 15 dollars you spent on it. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <4bb614b0.24f9f23a@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:17:30 EDT Subject: NON TMBG: Keswick Moxxy show Anyone here going to the november 19th fruvous show? Tickets go on sale monday at 10. E-mail me if you wanna meet up or something. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:25:29 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89A19.B7CCB5C1@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Flans has been married for 2 years this past summer. I dont know how long Linnell has been married, but it's longer than Flans's marriage. -A MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > named Henry.> > > Somethingorotherwiththeword"gold"init (Goldwasser? I don't know.). No > kids.> > > How did you find out about this? When did they get married? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:22:41 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89971.D6F6E0A8@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) so whats LimeZinger's page so I can go check this out. :o) -A Danielle Gaither wrote: > > My favorite Linnell hair would have to be what he has now; I really like > it short. For a good laugh, though, check out LimeZinger's page. She > has a nice album sticker showing our dear John Sidney with the 80's do > from hell. If you ever needed proof that the Johns experimented with > controlled substances at one point, this is it, folks. ;) > > Think early Michael Stipe hair only worse, > Danielle > > -- > We're all Jesus, Buddha, and the Wizard of Oz. > --XTC ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:24:39 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C899E7.2833E42D@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Robin Goldwasser and I'm completely jealous of her thank you. Pffff, if they ever have kids, i'll cry. Not that having 6 or 7 little Flansies running around is a bad thing, i'm just jealous. :o) -A Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > >He has a kid? I didn't know that. When did this happen? Who's his > wife? > > Linnell is married to a lady named Karen, and they have a very young son > named Henry. > > >Is Flansburgh married-any kids? > > Flansy is married to a lady named Robin > Somethingorotherwiththeword"gold"init (Goldwasser? I don't know.). No > kids.. > > YET! (dum dum dum!) > > ever-sincere, > eriKa, > by the time I post this, someone will probably have already answered. not > gonna stop me though! > > "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be > cool." - Ben Folds > "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock > smock!" - Hobbes > > hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com > > ___________________________________________________________________ > Get the Internet just the way you want it. > Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! > Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <1d051c3a.24f9f370@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:22:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! In a message dated 8/28/99 10:20:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, spruilla@epix.net writes: << Flans has been married for 2 years this past summer. I dont know how long Linnell has been married, but it's longer than Flans's marriage. >> Im pretty sure Flans has been married longer.. Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:33:51 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89C0F.A643E598@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Bdays. Flans: May 6, 1960 linnell: June 12, 1959 -A HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > What are the Johns' birthdays, does anyone know? > > And is there any way I can send them cards? :) :) :) > > Cordially, > Lydia (DaShpidah@tmbg.org) > "Blue MEANIES!" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:38:09 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89D11.9CFDAB37@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Thurs. ABC 10:00 EST -A HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > What time and channel is BNW on? I hear a lot about it but never got when or > where. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990828223634.009668d0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:39:15 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. O Tannenbaum was only released on 7" (with the live soundcheck recording "Christmas Cards")...I'm guessing it was released through Elektra, which is why it didn't show up on Then. You're missing everything from the O Tannenbaum 7", the Istanbul EP, the I Palindrome I EP, the Guitar EP, the Back To Skull EP, and the S-E-X-X-Y EP...maybe more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Back to the anime marathon now... :-) -Adam At 11:23 AM 8/28/99 -0400, Adam Shoop wrote: >I need a little clarification about Their EP's. Which one has Oh >Tannenbaum (sp?)? Why wasn't the material from that EP included on Then: >The Earlier Years? And, if I have Then, and the Why Does the Sun Shine >EP, am I missing any of the material only released in this form aside >from material mentioned on the EP above? >And so on. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:44:35 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89E93.E3614C3E@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Way back when It took me 6 months, 4 different CD's, 2 concerts and one video collection to finally be able to tell the difference between Flans's and Linnell's singing voices. -A > 2) I thought that John Flansburgh sang every song (don't ask me why, I just did). ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:41:39 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89DE3.C61E8319@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed at least you're getting SOME rain. Lord knows we have NONE here. -A the hanged man wrote: > > At 01:08 PM 8/27/99 -0500, you wrote: > >><< Unfortunately there was a > >> stupid flood warning that ran across the bottom of the screen twice, > >>because > >> we've been having a drought, so of course it had to finally rain tonight > >> >> > >> > >>At Least your power didn't go out 20 minutes before the show came on. I > >>was > >>very angry, and still am....what were the video and song like? > > > >Ha! At least you people have televisions. > > Oh, yeah... well at least you people have air to breathe! And you can't > here anyone sing up here. > > -Jim, circling far about the planet earth, attatched to a satellite with a > laptop. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:50:34 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89FFA.4197C82E@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! It may have been three summers ago, but i remember reading something about it just after I got really into TMBG, which, as much as I hate to admit it, wasnt that long ago. -A > Im pretty sure Flans has been married longer.. > > Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:47:26 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C89F3E.4422AE9B@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- It's the glasses I think. -A > Speaking of Flansy, sorry to jump around like this, but HOW does he > manage to ALWAYS look so wonderfully 50's? It boggles the mind! And it suits > him so well too :) > > Lydia > Laughing adoringly at Flansy's nostalgic appearance since 1837! ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <8d45df97.24f9f8ea@aol.com> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:46:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Way back when When I first started listening for some reason I though Flansburg sang all the really deep stuff and Linnell sang all the higher stuff. Probably cause I use to have a friend who kinda listened to them and tried to be all cool thinking she knew everything and she told me that (I was in 8th grade). I didn't realize till my first concert my error... -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: posting habits Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:56:15 -0700 Message-ID: <000201bef1ca$0fa03d00$2cc66ac6@tooms> okay, i'm going to be one of the people i dislike. guys, can we consolidate posts here? i just got at *least* 20 different emails, most of which were one line long, and most of which were from the same person. i just hate the false hope of hearing the new mail sound and seeing it's just another one line message. bridget "call me bongo" guildner bridgie t. "i was a nice girl," she pleaded, "wasn't i?" http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:44:25 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! In a message dated 8/28/99 10:20:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, spruilla@epix.net writes: > Robin Goldwasser and I'm completely jealous of her thank you. Pffff, if > they ever have kids, i'll cry. Not that having 6 or 7 little Flansies > running around is a bad thing, i'm just jealous. :o) > -A Amen! I hope that ALL of both johns' male children grow up to look EXACTLY like their respective paternal John! PLEASE! ::grins:: Not that anyone my age or above will have any chance with them but just to watch running around all over the world as we get old ;) Lydia Looking forward to the pitter patter of little Linny and Flansie feet, many of them, since 1837! Even though she's jealous as heckfire :| ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:51:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Way back when [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] In a message dated 8/28/99 10:45:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, spruilla@epix.net writes: > It's the glasses I think. > -A And the hair maybe? Possibly? And ALL THOSE FLANNEL SHIRTS ;) But yes, mostly the glasses... My mom says he looks like a.. what was it she said... She said he looks like a physics teacher, or some similar subject :) Lydia Laughing, laughing! From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Aug 29 00:02:33 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id AAA22989 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:02:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from m2.boston.juno.com (m2.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.199]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id AAA22976 for ; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:02:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from garrett27@juno.com) From: garrett27@juno.com Received: (from garrett27@juno.com) by m2.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id EJ6M6FEY; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:01:09 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:04:10 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- Message-ID: <19990828.210416.-852353.0.Garrett27@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 3.0.13 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-5,7-12,16-17,21-31 X-Juno-Att: 0 X-Juno-RefParts: 0 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: garrett27@juno.com >Well, do we know what they ARE? I mean, I really can NOT picture Linnell >as a >conservative Catholic or anything, and I'm fairly sure Flansy's not into > >Buddhism... From the beginning of this interview I'd guess that Flans isn't a born again christian. Oh, and check out the reporter's math skills. * ------------------------------- Article from MetroActive Music. Article written by Greg Cahill. 'I'M BURNED OUT and grumpy," quips John Flansburgh, one half of the songwriting duo at the core of the quirky pop group They Might Be Giants; he's feeling the constant grind of the publicity machine. "I've just done eight interviews in a row, and--well--you're next!" Yikes. So what didn't the last seven reporters ask? "Actually, they all did pretty good," he offers, "except for the born-again Jesus guy who somehow slipped through the filter of our media team. He just pretty much told me about Jesus, which is very, very, very tedious. "Fuck Jesus!" he sniffs. * -------------------------------- Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Aug 29 00:17:14 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id AAA23696 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:17:14 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo13.mx.aol.com (imo13.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.3]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id AAA23687 for ; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:17:13 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from HeYAnArChY@aol.com) From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Received: from HeYAnArChY@aol.com by imo13.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iBYDa13743 (4116) for ; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:15:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:15:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' religious association -- To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 9 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: HeYAnArChY@aol.com > From the beginning of this interview I'd guess that Flans isn't a born > again christian. Oh, and check out the reporter's math skills. R-O-F-freakin'-L!! That guy can be NASTY! But I hate to say it, and I hope I do not offend anyone, I've had people tell me about Jesus before. They wouldn't stop, they wouldn't listen, they weren't open minded and they have this amazing talent of being able to NOT SHUT UP FOR A SECOND FOR THREE HOURS. Then again, when it comes to ANY religious fanatics, I become very closed-minded, stubborn and angry, which doesn't help much... From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Aug 29 01:04:55 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA25127 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:04:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo11.mx.aol.com (imo11.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.1]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA25117 for ; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:04:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Carroll387@aol.com) From: Carroll387@aol.com Received: from Carroll387@aol.com by imo11.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id iSIYa07546 (7814) for ; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:03:58 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <4f9ea4e8.24fa193e@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:03:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Oriental Dude To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Carroll387@aol.com In a message dated 8/28/99 7:16:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, spruilla@epix.net writes: << i dont know the Asian guys name, but he's in Mono Puff too. -A MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > > Does anyone know who the asian guy from the Dr. Worm video is? He and > Flansburgh both look at eachother, then face the camera in one part. If you > don't know who I mean, well then this is an excuse to go watch DFB again and > make good use of that 15 dollars you spent on it. >> That "Oriental Dude" happens to be none other than the fantastic DJ ***** (five star). From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Aug 29 01:45:02 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA26296 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:45:02 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id BAA26251 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:44:24 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from GATEWAY by ussenterprise.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:58:43 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7qahbn$pk9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org References: <06103420337060@thinner.com>, <19990828.123110.9750.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jay G." Cap'n eriKa rae wrote... > Is there any particular reason why They have no real pictures of Them in > any of the regular albums [excluding Then]? I was just thinking about > that the other day... I think the reason is because that the Johns wanted to not become image conscious and decided to not include pictures so that the fans would focus on the band and the music, and not on the individual members of the band. This is the same reason why they credit all the music they write to "They Might Be Giants" instead to an individual John; they would rather have people enjoying the songs for their own worth rather than nitpicking on how many songs Linnell has on a particular release versus Flansburgh. Of course these precautions have not prevented fellow listies from arguing which John is cuter/better musician. -Jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-29 ******************************