Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 30 Monday, 30 August 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Way back when TMBG: Regarding why they don't have their pics on thier albums TMBG: They Out West! TMBG: something very silly TMBG: is this thing operational? Re: TMBG: Dream! TMBG: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes. Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Regarding why they don't have their pics on thier Re: TMBG: Way back when TMBG: John stuff TMBG: San Fran Show. Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) TMBG: Thanks To Everyone Who Offered To Help Me :-) TMBG: Re: Way back when Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Re: Way back when 21+ Shows ( was Re: TMBG: Another CA Show) Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Pet Name Re: NON-TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Pet Name Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Track List! Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Re: NON-TMBG: posting habits TMBG: Guitars! Re: TMBG: Regarding why they don't have their pics on thier albums Re: TMBG: Surname origins Re: NON-TMBG: posting habits Re: NON-TMBG: Dream! Re: NON-TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: Guitars! Re: TMBG: Guitars! Re: TMBG: Guitars! Re: TMBG: Guitars!(left out a few things) TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Hmmm...some colonial info to ponder on... Re: TMBG: Guitars! Re: NON-TMBG: posting habits Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:06:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) In a message dated 8/28/99 9:20:47 PM, spruilla@epix.net writes: >so whats LimeZinger's page so I can go check this out. :o) http://members.aol.com/limezinger/tmbg.html ;) down to "other things" and the stickers on the vinyl version of the pink album. :) sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:11:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! In a message dated 8/28/99 9:24:02 PM, HallOfEyes@aol.com writes: ><< Flans has been married for 2 years this past summer. I dont know how > long Linnell has been married, but it's longer than Flans's marriage. >>> > > >Im pretty sure Flans has been married longer.. he has. i think flans and robin got married in spring or summer '96, and linnell's wedding was sometime around february '97. sarah, 99.99% completely sure on this ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <8759f443.24fa2995@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:13:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when In a message dated 8/29/99 1:46:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jay@tmbg.org writes: > I think the reason is because that the Johns wanted to not become > image conscious and decided to not include pictures so that the > fans would focus on the band and the music, and not on the individual > members of the band. This is the same reason why they credit all > the music they write to "They Might Be Giants" instead to an individual > John; they would rather have people enjoying the songs for their own > worth rather than nitpicking on how many songs Linnell has on a > particular release versus Flansburgh. Of course these precautions > have not prevented fellow listies from arguing which John is cuter/better > musician. > > -Jay > But we started on the right track! And I for one DO love the music for what it is, and not just which John it's by! I just happen to have favorites and not-so favorites, and my favorites HAPPEN to be the weirder ones, which HAPPEN to be by Linnell, who, oddly, later turned out to be the cuter of the two, it's all a huge coincidence, seriously ;) Lydia HAPPENS to have had a huge crush on John Sidney Linnell since 1837! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C8EFA6.E903F127@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:30:32 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Regarding why they don't have their pics on thier albums Jay wrote: (regarding why they don't have their pics on most of their albums) >I think the reason is because that the Johns wanted to not become >image conscious and decided to not include pictures so that the >fans would focus on the band and the music, and not on the individual >members of the band. This is the same reason why they credit all >the music they write to "They Might Be Giants" instead to an individual >John I couldn't have said it better myself, although I was about to before I saw your post. Also Linnell is a fan of The Residents and they don't reveal their identities AT ALL. Maybe he was inspired by that. This kind of ties into another post that Dexter Flansburgh wrote about not having any idea of what they looked like for awhile. I was fan for a couple years till I knew what they looked like. I remember telling this girl that I like TMBG (this was back when they still played them on MTV) and she laughed and said they looked geeky. (She was a Motley Crue fan so her standards were a little different than the girls' on this list.) Anyway, if there's anything the Internet has taught us, its that its what you say not how you look. Let your words or your art speak for itself. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C8F15E.A9AD63F7@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:37:52 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: They Out West! I just heard the news about TMBG playing in Vegas and San Diego. Is this the first time They have played Vegas? It must be a kick for them because they seem to be into the Rat Pack thing. I'm going to the L.A. show and if I was a little closer to SD, I 'd try to make that one too. Then again, LA is just a few hours from Vegas. They did a nice job spreading things out but I still think they need to do an under 21 show in SoCal. Hmmm...maybe they still will. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <6b86644e.24fa5a55@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 05:41:41 EDT Subject: TMBG: something very silly take a look at this here picture of Blur.. (YES it's TMBG related...) http://members.tripod.com/~arsh/ws93x.jpg oh my goodness. that is all. sarah :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990829144557.90191.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "J Schleiger" Subject: TMBG: is this thing operational? Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 08:45:57 MDT Greetings fellow TMBG freaks! (Hopefully) This is my first attempt at a post, and as I am not exactly technologically adept, I'm mailing it with a prayer that the internet gods will have mercy on me and see that the destination is reached. I've been reading the list for a few weeks, and am impressed with the wealth of TMBG knowledge I've received, and am also very glad that I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE COMPLETELY OBSESSED WITH THE JOHNS! (I'm used to my friends either laughing or rolling their eyes at me whenever I get to pick the music for gatherings....) And to whoever inquired about attendance at the Las Vegas show...I'm driving several hundred miles across 3 states to be there... ;). And to those of you sad about not being able to go to 21+ shows, don't worry, your time will come soon enough. Looking forward to posting more soon (grin) jEsSiCa aka Alien3x ~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:31:23 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C9524B.2744099A@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Well, I dont know what Karen, Linnell's wife, looks like, but because of Mono Puff, I know that Robin is really pretty. (which only makes me more jealous of her) So in this case, if John Jr. looked like mom that wouldn't be a bad thing. But I do agree, I would have no prolem with either John Jr. looking like dad. Also, as folks in hour early 20's can sit at googilly eye the Johns, who are litetately twice our age, then thier kids can googgilly eye us. It's the same age difference. (by the way,I'm not a petifile, I'm just trying to justify the fact that I'm "in love" with Flans.) -A HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 8/28/99 10:20:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > spruilla@epix.net writes: > > > Robin Goldwasser and I'm completely jealous of her thank you. Pffff, if > > they ever have kids, i'll cry. Not that having 6 or 7 little Flansies > > running around is a bad thing, i'm just jealous. :o) > > -A > > Amen! I hope that ALL of both johns' male children grow up to look EXACTLY > like their respective paternal John! PLEASE! ::grins:: Not that anyone my age > or above will have any chance with them but just to watch running around all > over the world as we get old ;) > > Lydia > Looking forward to the pitter patter of little Linny and Flansie feet, many > of them, since 1837! Even though she's jealous as heckfire :| ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990830014749.007b7c20@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:47:49 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes. Check this out: http://www.zip.com.au/~garv/smallboy.mp3 It's a short (238 K) excerpt from a much longer mix by Fatboy Slim, done at Sydney's Big Day Out in January (broadcast by JJJ radio). Spot the Mono Puff sample! -Ryan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:06:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Message-ID: <19990829.121923.9838.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >But I do agree, I would have no prolem with >either John Jr. looking like dad. Erm. Well, one "John Jr." is named Henry ... >(by the way,I'm not a petifile, "Hey, put that folder in the petifile, will ya?" tehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe! (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!) ever-sincere, eriKa, who almost made this a one line post, just to piss off bridget! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:19:16 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Regarding why they don't have their pics on thier Message-ID: <19990829.121923.9838.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Jay G.: >Of course these precautions >have not prevented fellow listies from arguing which John is cuter/better >musician. LINNELL IS THE ULTIMATE! FLANSY SUCKS! No... wait... FLANS IS AWESOME! LINNELL IS CRAP! I HATE TMBG! GAH! BONGO: >I was fan for a couple years till I knew what >they looked like. I remember telling this girl that I like TMBG (this was back when they >still played them on MTV) and she laughed and said they looked geeky. (She was a >Motley Crue fan so her standards were a little different than the girls' on this list.) What made me first think of this all the other day was I was talking to a kid at school and he asked who the pictures in my locker were of (I've only got two so far - one of BF5, and one of Them - the STD ad), and when I told him, he was like, "*That's* They Might Be Giants? I've heard Them, but I've never seen Them." He then said They looked different than he had expected. ever-sincere, eriKa, RRRRRRAICHU! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:08:22 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Message-ID: <19990829.130907.-137015.3.gray42@juno.com> Hmmm, I hadn't known what the Johns looked like until I went to my first concert back in 94, when they were touring for John Henry. I was shocked and didn't expect them to look like that. Before that concert, I thought it was one singer, who wore a trenchcoat, a hat, and had black shaggy hair, and was quite skilled at changing his voice, like Mike Patton. I also thought there was a backup female singer (this idea was caused by Apollo 18). I think this could be explained by the fact that me and my sister would attain TMBG albums by close friends who gave us bootlegs which did not contain vital info. Of course I later bought every album, or received them as presents. But by the time I got the non bootleg albums, I had already seen J & J at a concert. Mysterio Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:41:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: John stuff There have been a lot of nuts and bolts type questions about the Johns lately. I hope I can be of some help. Birthdays: Flans: May 6, 1960 Linnell: June 12, 1959 Some people have tried to send them brithday cards through the TMB Productions/Williamsburg Station address; other people hand them to roadies and such. It is unclear whether the Johns have time anymore to read all the mail they get, but it can't hurt. Wedding info: Flans: July 14 ("Bastille Day!" he noted cheerfully), 1996, to Robin Goldwasser, aka Sister Puff Linnell: Unknown date in January/February, 1997, to Karen (last name unknown)... and they now have a son named Henry, who I think is less than a year old... correct me if I'm wrong Religion: Both Johns were raised Unitarian ("Free-range religion!"), as stated in an interview I have now misplaced, but neither of them seems to do much with it anymore. love, TMBG list pariah --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:00:44 -0700 (PDT) From: Benjamin Stewart Subject: TMBG: San Fran Show. Message-ID: So I've been eagerly watching various places online for news of a Northern California show, and as of yet, nothing has turned up. But I was sitting around Tuesday, and I got an email from one of my friends who had been in San Fran the night before, seeing RENT yet again. She likes RENT a lot, and she's entered the lottery to win tickets five times, and won three times, and that's pretty amazing considering how many people usually enter... But I digress, and I'm sure most of you don't care about that. She was walking back, and she was talking to another friend of ours, and saying how cool it be if TMBG played at the Warfield this year, because it is so much closer to the BART station, and then they walked by the Warfield, and she looked up, and saw that Train was playing (Train is a band from her hometown, so she HAD to mention it to me before she got to the meat of the point, and I had to preserve that part of the story...) And below Train, it said, according to her, "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, SEPT 29th" Which makes sense, based on the dates that Pollstar is listing. Frankly, I was getting a bit worried, but now I'm not. I'll see y'all there! -bs ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:32:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Message-ID: <19990829.143245.-137015.4.gray42@juno.com> I love the long hair look. Ilike long hair on men, and tight clothing on men. The Don't Let's Start vidio makes me jump up and down, yelp, drool, and swoon. Actually, I like ALL of Linnells hair styles, they're all quite attractive. Mysterio "tee hee" Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <183dac55.24fae366@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:26:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: Thanks To Everyone Who Offered To Help Me :-) Hi all...just a short note to send a big thank you to everyone who offered to make me a copy of the Brave New World episode that featured "King Weed." Sarah Newhouse (LimeZinger) was the first to e-mail me that she'd make a copy for me, so it was her offer that I accepted. I appreciate everyone's offer equally, though -- it was very kind of you to want to help me. Karen J. Riley MuseKJ (looks like nobody's going to try to make a good movie that has anything to do with muses -- first Xanadu, now this Sharon Stone horror...well, if you want something done right...where's my camcorder?) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:28:08 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Way back when Message-ID: <19990829.155416.6630.0.khurby@juno.com> From: i like moby my first exposure to TMBG was my friend josh, who had bought flood and john henry. strangely though, all i remember him playing from either album was "window" from JH and "minimum wage" (over and over and over again) from flood. years later, i bought severe tire damage after hearing doctor worm on the radio, and then i systematically proceeded to buy everything They ever did musically. but josh's musical tastes seem to have stuck with me, because even though i like practically everything They've done, one of my favorite songs is "for science," which probably isn't something that They are all that proud of. strange. mike k ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:47:35 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C9AA77.D1CA983D@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when And lets not fortget the fact that they don't look, act, or move like the stereotypical 39/40 year old folks. -A gray42@juno.com wrote: > > Hmmm, I hadn't known what the Johns looked like until I went to my first > concert back in 94, when they were touring for John Henry. I was shocked > and didn't expect them to look like that. Before that concert, I thought > it was one singer, who wore a trenchcoat, a hat, and had black shaggy > hair, and was quite skilled at changing his voice, like Mike Patton. I > also thought there was a backup female singer (this idea was caused by > Apollo 18). I think this could be explained by the fact that me and my > sister would attain TMBG albums by close friends who gave us bootlegs > which did not contain vital info. Of course I later bought every album, > or received them as presents. But by the time I got the non bootleg > albums, I had already seen J & J at a concert. > > Mysterio Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) > "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get > the kid to look him in the eye!" > --SIRMILLARDMULCH > MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 > gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project > Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > > ___________________________________________________________________ > Get the Internet just the way you want it. > Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! > Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Way back when Date: Sun, Aug 29 1999 17:49:00 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <21490021849435@thinner.com> How weird! My first exposure to TMBG was through a friend of mine also named Josh. I wonder if this same Josh is travelling the world to become friends with people, to only later implant the music of They Might Be Giants in our heads. I'll have to ask him next time he comes over. > >From: i like moby >Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:28:08 -0500 >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: Way back when > >my first exposure to TMBG was my friend josh, * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C9C65F.E1E143A8@fruhead.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:46:39 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: 21+ Shows ( was Re: TMBG: Another CA Show) In a message dated 8/28/99 7:29:06 PM, HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: > Why DO they do that?! I mean.. Aside from a lot of cursing, what is there > that they do in over 21 shows that is so hideous and terrible and should > not be seen by young eyes?! As maintainer of the alt.music.moxy-fruvous FAQ, I get a lot of great submissions for topics that occur on the Fruvous newsgroup a lot. One of these discussions is the age-restricted show topic. In the a.m.m-f FAQ there is a very good explaination of why clubs have age-restricted shows and why bands play them. Check it out if you are interested. The good info is in Appendix A. http://www.fruvous.com/news/faq.html - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830014418.37999.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:44:18 PDT >From: Adam Tyner >Reply-To: Adam Tyner >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! >Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:44:11 -0400 > >Mail ordering really isn't slow. Most online stores ship CDs early so >it'll be in your mailbox on or around the street date, and the discs are >usually discounted so much (especially if you use a coupon for an online >store, and there are LOTS of $10-off coupons floating around) that even >with shipping and handling, it's still less than getting it in most stores. I guess I just prefer shopping the old-fashioned way. I don't know if I'll end up ordering State Songs or not. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830014746.371.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:47:46 PDT >If you wish, I can send you a copy of last night's BNW. It kinda sux >though, cause I was multitasking + trying to cut out commercials, so it's a >bit cut up at times. But TMBG is there, whole and pristine. All I ask for >in return is either a trade or cost of tape + return postage. Well, I don't have anything to trade, so I guess I'd have to do the postage thing. How much would that be? Or should I just wait for reruns (not that there will necessarily be any). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830015011.15418.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pet Name Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:50:10 PDT >From: MrBean43@aol.com >Reply-To: MrBean43@aol.com >To: RingOH@aol.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Pet Name >Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:54:53 EDT > >Is this on the factory showroom recording? What? You don't have Factory Showroom yet? Shame on you! (And yes, "Pet Name" is on that album. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Camper Van Beethoven, Telephone Free Landslide Victory ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830015339.53400.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: King Weed Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:53:38 PDT the hanged man wrote: >At 01:08 PM 8/27/99 -0500, you wrote: > >><< Unfortunately there was a > >> stupid flood warning that ran across the bottom of the screen twice, > >>because > >> we've been having a drought, so of course it had to finally rain >tonight > >> >> > >> > >>At Least your power didn't go out 20 minutes before the show came on. I > >>was > >>very angry, and still am....what were the video and song like? > > > >Ha! At least you people have televisions. > >Oh, yeah... well at least you people have air to breathe! And you can't >here anyone sing up here. > >-Jim, circling far about the planet earth, attatched to a satellite with a >laptop. Laptop? You're lucky to have a laptop! I'm posting this from a steam-powered contraption in a cave! -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "And you try to tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830020206.92193.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:02:06 PDT Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >Back when I first got into TMBG... >1) I thought they were German for some reason. When asked by my >Uncle, >"Where are these guys from?," I replied, "I think they're from >Germany or >something." Then my Uncle said, "Yeah, cause no Americans >would write >these lyrics." I find it extremely funny that they turned >out to be good >'ol Brooklyn boys. Well, "Flansburgh" sounds like it's of some sort of Germanic derivation. I don't know about "Linnell," though. >2) I thought that John Flansburgh sang every song (don't ask me why, >I >just did). At one point, someone on the list (I think it might have been Danielle, but I'm not quite sure) mentioned that Flansburgh's was originally the face that she associated with TMBG. I think it was pretty much the same way with me. Now that I know more about Them, though, I tend to prefer the Linnellian to the Flansburghese. >5) I thought that Linnell was pronounced LEN-OLE. I thought his name was pronounced with the accent on the first syllable, but this seems to be a fairly common mistake. Oh, and I meant to send that post about the King Weed segment just to Julie, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. It's not as if there was anything private in the message. (Actually, I rarely write mail containing anything really private.) -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: XTC, Drums And Wires ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:02:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Pet Name In a message dated 8/29/1999 9:52:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << >Is this on the factory showroom recording? What? You don't have Factory Showroom yet? Shame on you! (And yes, "Pet Name" is on that album. >> No, I meant whether the version of pet name you were talking about was the Factory Showroom version. and i listened to the song, and it sounds fine to me. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830020538.61742.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:05:38 PDT Claire Gray wrote: >It seems to be everyone either loves a song or really > > isn't > > interested in it. Example: I've never met a person who liked "Hotel > > Detective", and EVERYONE, when I play it for them, likes "Spiralling > > Shape". > > This is what I've found thus far anyway... > >Hmmm, I like the idea behing Hotel Detective, I LOVE the vidio >(Lincoln, >*yay*), and I was once obssessed with the EP version (done by >Linnell?). >But I guess that doesn't count does it. I suppose not, considering that the songs are really completely different (in terms of musical style, anyway; they might very well have been intended to have been about the same person). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830021236.42389.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Track List! Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:12:36 PDT eRiCh wrote: >The State Songs Track List! > >Illinois >The Songs of the Fifty States So "Illinois" is BEFORE what sounds like it's probably the theme? I suppose it's some kind of preamble. (I've never actually heard _House of Mayors_ in album format, but I think "Fernando Wood" served pretty much the same purpose on that release.) >Nevada I wonder if the stuff from the end of the Hello release is going to be on the actual album. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830021705.65868.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:17:05 PDT Adrienne Spruill wrote: >I like the short, Worm look also. Mostly because I dont really care for >guy with long hair. I don't mind long hair on men (in fact, my own hair is pretty long), but I'm not sure that Linnell's hair was really meant to grow to its Apollo 18 length. It just looked a little too shaggy, I suppose. Apparently Linnell didn't care much for it either (or he just wanted another change). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830021950.61402.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:19:50 PDT Adam Tyner wrote: >O Tannenbaum was only released on 7" (with the live soundcheck recording >"Christmas Cards")...I'm guessing it was released through Elektra, which is >why it didn't show up on Then. When was the "O Tannenbaum" record released, anyway? (I guess I could look at a discography, but I'm lazy.) -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830022409.28280.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: posting habits Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:24:09 PDT Bridget Therease (or should I say "Bongo"?) wrote: >guys, can we consolidate posts here? i just got at *least* 20 different >emails, most of which were one line long, and most of which were from the >same person. > >i just hate the false hope of hearing the new mail sound and seeing it's >just another one line message. > >bridget "call me bongo" guildner I guess I can see how it would be annoying, but it's much simpler to reply to individual messages than to combine all of my thoughts into one big message. I usually try not to post unless I have something to say, but my definition of "something to say" might differ considerably from yours. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:25:57 EDT Subject: TMBG: Guitars! Alright. I'm looking to buy a guitar. So, I guess my question is... Does anyone know what exactly I should buy? Have any advice? Whether I should get an electric or acoustic? And what guitars do They use for the most part? Any acoustic songs? Or all electric? From what I'm looking at, I just might be spending a couple hundred on one of these things, so I might as well ask around. Sam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830022910.34336.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Regarding why they don't have their pics on thier albums Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:29:10 PDT The real Bongo wrote: >Also Linnell is a fan of The Residents and they don't reveal their > >identities AT ALL. >Maybe he was inspired by that. I wonder how Linnell would look with an eyeball for a head. (Probably like he does now, but with an eyeball in place of his head, actually.) >I remember telling this girl that I like TMBG (this was back when they >still played them on MTV) and she laughed and said they looked geeky. (She >was a Motley >Crue fan so her standards were a little different than the girls' on >this >list.) Hey, They DO look pretty geeky. Some people find that attractive, though. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:31:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Surname origins In a message dated 8/29/99 10:03:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << Well, "Flansburgh" sounds like it's of some sort of Germanic derivation. I don't know about "Linnell," though. >> "Flansburgh" is, as you say, Germanic in origin... "Linnell" would be of English origin. Karen :-) (MuseKJ@aol.com) ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <4fa9539c.24fb4776@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:33:26 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: posting habits In a message dated 8/29/99 9:25:18 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >I guess I can see how it would be annoying, but it's much simpler to reply > >to individual messages than to combine all of my thoughts into one big > >message. I usually try not to post unless I have something to say, but >my >definition of "something to say" might differ considerably from yours. yeah.. there -- i was actually going to reply to bridget's post with a "yeah, i agree!.." but, realized how silly that'd be. it *is* easier to reply as you get the messages, but if you arrive at your mailbox to see a bunch of tmbg list posts, before replying to them, you should save all the replies and send them as one post. and... if you've only got 5 words to say and a whole 3 paragrahs to quote, it's probably best to think about it before hitting send. unless it's really funny, or something. i dunno. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830023424.1636.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dream! Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:34:23 PDT eriKa wrote: > >(by the way,I'm not a petifile, > >"Hey, put that folder in the petifile, will ya?" The folder on the cat, you mean? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830023830.6707.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:38:30 PDT Claire Gray wrote: >I love the long hair look. Ilike long hair on men, and tight >clothing on >men. I'm not sure if those men like the tight clothing all that much, though. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan (who has long hair, but prefers to wear fairly loose clothing) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830024034.12283.rocketmail@web114.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:40:34 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars! Only Spendin a couple hundred? Then that is gonna be a pretty cheap guitar. Out of experiance I would say if you are just starting the guitar go for Acoustic. It is harder than electric but better to learn on. At least look to be spending 500 bucks. For brand names I would go with either Martin or Gibson. At least in the folk community Gibson is the "in" guitar. By that I mean a lot of people have them. ON another Note I am wonderin If anyone from the list was at the Moxy Fruvous concert last Thursday at Molsen place in Toronto. I was in the second row on the left in a purple shirt. I am just wonderin if maybe I had chatted with one of the listees. -Adam Gaya "You have Defiled the Chicken Spankers! Be destroyed foul Cheese!!!" --- Samman85@aol.com wrote: > Alright. I'm looking to buy a guitar. > > So, I guess my question is... Does anyone know what > exactly I should buy? > Have any advice? Whether I should get an electric or > acoustic? > > And what guitars do They use for the most part? Any > acoustic songs? Or all > electric? > > From what I'm looking at, I just might be spending a > couple hundred on one of > these things, so I might as well ask around. > > Sam > __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830024035.12292.rocketmail@web114.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:40:35 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars! Only Spendin a couple hundred? Then that is gonna be a pretty cheap guitar. Out of experiance I would say if you are just starting the guitar go for Acoustic. It is harder than electric but better to learn on. At least look to be spending 500 bucks. For brand names I would go with either Martin or Gibson. At least in the folk community Gibson is the "in" guitar. By that I mean a lot of people have them. ON another Note I am wonderin If anyone from the list was at the Moxy Fruvous concert last Thursday at Molsen place in Toronto. I was in the second row on the left in a purple shirt. I am just wonderin if maybe I had chatted with one of the listees. -Adam Gaya "You have Defiled the Chicken Spankers! Be destroyed foul Cheese!!!" --- Samman85@aol.com wrote: > Alright. I'm looking to buy a guitar. > > So, I guess my question is... Does anyone know what > exactly I should buy? > Have any advice? Whether I should get an electric or > acoustic? > > And what guitars do They use for the most part? Any > acoustic songs? Or all > electric? > > From what I'm looking at, I just might be spending a > couple hundred on one of > these things, so I might as well ask around. > > Sam > __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:41:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars! Do you know anything about guitars? Such as do you know how to play one or are you getting one so that you can take lessons. I recomend getting this book called "The Heavy Guitar Bible" Its the greatest book on playing guitar ever written. You will probably not want to spend the amount of money that Flansburgh does on his guitars because he has some really nice guitars. If you go to a good music store, (I recommend Daddy's Junky Music Store if you have one near you they are excellent guitar stores) you can usually find a used guitar for a reasonable price. If you are just starting I wouldn't really want to buy a good brand new guitar incase you end up not wanting to play anymore. If you happen to know someone that knows about guitars I recommend you bring them along or there is a chance that you will get ripped off. The first guitar that I bought for myself was an acoustic, but I was playing guitar for almost a year before I got my own (I used my dad's electric and acoustic) An acoustic guitar would have several advantages such as you don't have to hook it up to an amp and you can take it anywhere, but they are a little bit harder to play because the necks tend to be generally thicker and you don't want to get extra light strings for an acoustic because they will sound bad. I bought a Yamaha acoustic. They are actually to what you might think pretty good guitars. If you wanted to get a really nice acoustic you'd want something like an Alverez(I don't know how to spell it) Its good to try out several guitars before you decide to buy one. If you're buying a used one make sure to look for warping, cracks, etc because sometimes they won't tell you. If you want to get an electric you could probably spend less money. You don't nesicarily have to get an amp. You can hook it right into a sterio, but you wouldn't have any of the cool effects unless you got a guitar pre amp. You can be a little more less delecate with electric guitars if you get a solid body one. Flans plays Gibsons or gibson clones it seems (I might be wrong) but I have a soft spot for Fenders. Fenders are wonderful guitars. I got a brand new Telecaster a few months ago and it is such a wonderful guitar. Fenders have a line called a Fender Squire. You can get either a telecaster or a stratocaster from it. These are much cheaper than a standard one, but they don't sound quite as nice, but if you're just getting into it its fine. I helped a friend around last christmas buy an electric guitar because he wanted to get into it. You can also find clones of Fenders (they're Peveys) and Gibsons (Epiphone I think they are) that you can get for a cheaper price, but sound perfectly fine. I could go on for a much much longer time about guitars, guitar equipment, and so on. If you want more info just e-mail me and I can tell you what I know. -Amber ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <3b0a63bc.24fb4aea@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:48:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars!(left out a few things) I forgot to add prices to what I wrote. An electric you could find (I know at leat for a fender or fender clone used) one for a little more than a $100 I thnk my friend who bought one spent aout $125 on his. They don't look brand new and might have a nick in it, but it doesn't really matter if you're first learning. My new Telecaster on the other hand costed me about $350. Its not even a top of the line telecaster, its just a standard one, but it is a sweet guitar. A lot of really good guitarist use fenders..Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix to name a few I'm not sure about the prices for an acoustic guitar used. I know I saw a few used ones for about $200 when I went shopping for mine, and I'm sure you could find one a little bit cheaper, but I'm not sure. I bought my acoustic new because I wanted a nicer one. It was $400. Its not a top of hte line acoustic but it sounds nice, has a pick up, and a small equalizer on it. I could give you some website to look at if you want that might be of some help. -Amber ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:47:31 GMT From: rubberband_girl@my-deja.com Message-ID: <7qcrc1$sej$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Organization: Deja.com - Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! In article , "Christopher M. Stangl" wrote: > On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, John wrote: Just because somebody releases a "first album" doesn't mean that they're > > going to release a second one > > You mean like Marcy Playground? > -Rev. Chris Stangl Marcy Playground *are* releasing a second album. November 2nd. -Rubberband Girl Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <6f8b4e45.24fb5147@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:15:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: Hmmm...some colonial info to ponder on... I found the following info in the surname research message board on AOL's Genealogy Forum...intriguing stuff :-)...notice the name Linnel, below ;-) Note* Surname changes over the years are not an uncommon thing, yet there is no proof (that I know of) that the Linnel name listed below is of any relation to the John Linnell we all know and love. Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com Note: MAYFLOWER FAMILIES: Through Five Generations: Descendants of the Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth, Mass. December 1620, Volume Two by Robert M. Sherman. With respect to the Thomas Rogers' line, there is a typographical error. It states that a "Shelby" married a "Linnel" which is incorrect because the surname "Shelby" did not appear in Colonial America until the early 1700's. The correct surname is "Shelley" married a "Linnel". A David Linnel married a Hannah Shelley and resided at Barnstable, Massachusetts. [Vol. III, p. 97 of the below publication.]** Information or Tradition: In the event that one does not have the knowledge nor benefit of being a legitimate descendant of Thomas Rogers "of the Mayflower". See: A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England showing Three generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692 on the Basis of Farmer's Register, by James Savage, Volume IV. Note: There is no "SHELBY" family; however, there are "SHELLEY" and "LINNEL" families. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CA0912.B5993D59@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:31:14 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars! Samman85@aol.com wrote: > > Alright. I'm looking to buy a guitar. > > So, I guess my question is... Does anyone know what exactly I should buy? > Have any advice? Whether I should get an electric or acoustic? > > And what guitars do They use for the most part? Any acoustic songs? Or all > electric? Flansburgh plays Gibson electrics and Martin acoustics. These are pretty commonly accepted as the "best" brands in their respective fields. Flansburgh used to play Fenders, but kept snapping their necks. Dan Miller plays Fender guitars, though. Listen for the acoustic guitar in Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Sleeping in the Flowers, Meet James Ensor, The End of the Tour, and James K. Polk (FS version) among others. He doesn't use it as much, and a lot of times there's electric guitar going at the same time, so it's hard to hear... If you're just learning guitar, there are reasons to get acoustic or electric... acoustic because it's harder to play, and you'll learn to be a better guitarist by playing it, and electric because it's much easier to learn and you'll be able to play more things sooner. I started on electric and had a lot of trouble switching to acoustic later on (of course, I eventually managed it :) As for electrics...... If you want a Gibson but don't want to pay for a Gibson, Epiphone is Gibson's "second rung" brand, and they are almost the same guitars for about a third the price. If you're going to be plugging in near a lot of other electronic equipment, like a computer or a keyboard or something, get something with humbucking pickups. Not only do they sound better, but they also eliminate the nasty buzz you'll get with single coil pickups near other electrical devices. (my guitar has 3 single coil pickups, and the top and bottom ones are out of phase with the middle, so when I combine top and middle or bottom and middle, there's no buzz, but using any individual one, the buzz is there) I'd also recommend getting something that doesn't have a tremolo bridge. This can sound nice, but you're better off learning bends, and the tremolo bridge guitars fall out of tune *really* fast, and are considerably harder to tune in the first place. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CA09D7.74595590@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:34:31 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: posting habits LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > yeah.. there -- i was actually going to reply to bridget's post with a > "yeah, i agree!.." but, realized how silly that'd be. it *is* easier to > reply as you get the messages, but if you arrive at your mailbox to see a > bunch of tmbg list posts, before replying to them, you should save all the > replies and send them as one post. then subject headers become totally meaningless and it's harder for those of us who *like* the individual responses to find what we may be looking for. I think the solution for those who want "everything at once" is to subscribe to the digest. Then they'll only get that "new mail" sound once a day instead of everyt time a new message appears. > and... if you've only got 5 words to say and a whole 3 paragrahs to quote, "what about Careless Santa" is only 4 words. :) -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-30 ******************************