Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 31 Tuesday, 31 August 1999 Today's Topics: Re:TMBG: is this thing operational? (Welcome J Schleiger) TMBG: Re: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes. TMBG: The Residents Ripping Off TMBG? TMBG: Re: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes. TMBG: non-tmbg: cherry poppin daddies Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: cherry poppin daddies Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Re: Way back when Re: NON-TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Guitars! Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: The Residents Ripping Off TMBG? Re: TMBG: The ladies (was Re: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes.) Re: NON-TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: The ladies (was Re: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes.) Re: TMBG: The Residents Ripping Off TMBG? Re: TMBG: Guitars! Re: TMBG: Surname origins Re: TMBG: Guitars! Re: TMBG: Surname origins Re: NON-TMBG: King Weed Re: NON-TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Guitars! TMBG: Re: Sanity test TMBG: Re: Aagh!!!!!!!!! NON-TMBG: Brick Re: NON-TMBG: Brick TMBG: Re: moxy fruvous cd's Re: TMBG: Surname origins Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Way back when Re: TMBG: Re: Sanity test Re: TMBG: Way back when TMBG: Should you find yourself in Vegas... TMBG: Las Vegas...but totally off topic. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <37CA3187.4E580BB5@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:24:00 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re:TMBG: is this thing operational? (Welcome J Schleiger) Hi Theysters! I haven't been posting much lately but every message that I saw on today's digest was worthy of a response. I wish I could respond to them all but I'll just cover a few in my next couple of messages. Why my sudden participation? .... 1) I finally have some time now and 2) I'm so damned excited that I'm going to see TMBG play *at least* once in Sept. (and they don't play out West too often) So anyway.... "J Schleiger" wrote: >Greetings fellow TMBG freaks! (Hopefully) >This is my first attempt at a post, and as I am not exactly technologically >adept, I'm mailing it with a prayer that the internet gods will have mercy >on me and see that the destination is reached. Congratulations, you succeeded. You are proof that not every die hard TMBG fan is an Internet junkie...Or a computer geek :) >I've been reading the list for a few weeks, and am impressed with the wealth >of TMBG knowledge ... Yep! I thought I was the ultimateTMBG fan until I joined this list. Now I see that I'm nothing! Ha! Ha! >(I'm used to my friends either >laughing or rolling their eyes at me whenever I get to pick the music for >gatherings....) Yes, most of us know that feeling! >And to whoever inquired about attendance at the Las Vegas show...I'm driving >several hundred miles across 3 states to be there... ;). I might drive across one state to be there. Like I said they seem to be West-o-phobic so we might as well take every opportunity we get to see them. >Looking forward to posting more soon (grin) We are looking forward to it. WELCOME!!!! >~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART >THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ Yes indeed! I couldn't have said it better myself. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CA3909.BEA2EDB7@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:56:04 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes. Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990830014749.007b7c20@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:47:49 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney >Check this out: >http://www.zip.com.au/~garv/smallboy.mp3 >It's a short (238 K) excerpt from a much longer mix by Fatboy Slim, done at >Sydney's Big Day Out in January (broadcast by JJJ radio). Spot the Mono >Puff sample! Wow! Thats so cool! Fatboy must be a TMBG fan considering that he listened to a Mono Puff CD. (After all, who else checked out any Mono Puff CD's besides TMBG fans?) Well he's got a big music collection (as the cover of "You've Come A Long Way Baby" demonstrates.) Now when my friends ask me, "who in the hell are the They Must Be Giants?" I can say that they are the guys that that Fatboy Slim once sampled. (The Tiny Toons reference is getting old.) By the way....I give up! Which Mono Puff song was that from?!!! It's something about "the ladies!" But I'm drawing a blank. Please fill me in. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CA3E67.9A3B331C@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:18:59 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: The Residents Ripping Off TMBG? I know at least a couple of you (like me) are fans of The Residents. A couple of months ago, The Residents unofficial mailing list rumored that The Residents are supposedly planning a project based on the Planet of the Apes films. Hmmm... what an ORIGINAL concept!. :) If you are a fan of both TMBG and The Residents , you may have noticed a that TMBG seemed to be a *slightly* inspired by The Residents (especially on some of the Then bonus tracks.) Have the Residents now turned the tables on TMBG? Or is this all just a coincidence. (And does this give TMBG the right to do an album based on the Old Testament?) Non Rez fan, please excuse this post. Rez fans, speak up! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:39:16 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37CA4334.2AFD9970@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes. Bongo wrote: > From: Ryan Mooney > >http://www.zip.com.au/~garv/smallboy.mp3 > > >It's a short (238 K) excerpt from a much longer mix by Fatboy Slim, done at > >Sydney's Big Day Out in January (broadcast by JJJ radio). Spot the Mono > >Puff sample! > > Now when my friends ask me, "who in the hell are the They Must Be Giants?" I can say > that they are the guys that that Fatboy Slim once sampled. (The Tiny Toons reference is > getting old.) He does seem to sample from quite a variety of types of music, so perhaps it's not so extraordinary after all... But it's better than nothing... Now if only people who don't know about Mono Puff could somehow recognize it as such... > By the way....I give up! Which Mono Puff song was that from?!!! It's something about > "the ladies!" But I'm drawing a blank. Please fill me in. The clip is: "Not only, but especially for the ladies," from the beginning part of "Dedicated," track 8 on "It's Fun To Steal." Bob "Who just happened to be listening to that CD while reading the messages about it!" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000f01bef2d3$073e57a0$c4b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: cherry poppin daddies Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:32:40 +0100 Geez, I've been away from the list for a while. Anyway, I was messing around looking for mp3s yesterday (what else is there to do on a Sunday afternoon eh?). I was looking through AllMP3.com's master list and found "Zoot Suit Riot" by The Cherry Poppin Daddies. I down loaded it because I remembered that some peeps on the list had mentioned them. Oh my dear GOD it's a damn fine song. I can't any more mp3's though. Does anyone else have any that I could have or know where I could find some. I'd prefer studio tracks rather than live recordings for now. I'm going to start sorting out a sound track for a Gangster flick I'm writing and the Daddies are on it now, as are TMBG, Madness, The Specials and many more. WOW! Uncle Squid's Final Thought: Where are all the good Men dead? In the Heart or in the Head? The Uncle Squid site [ http://i.am/uncle_squid/ ] Carter USM, Pharmacy & more [ http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/ ] ||| ICQ: 12605535 ||| Tel: (01206) 502043 ||| Fax: (01206) 514682 ||| [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990830081312.00953100@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:13:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: cherry poppin daddies I don't have any mp3s, but I have samples of virtually everything the Cherry Poppin' Daddies have recorded at http://www.daddies.org/ -Adam At 11:32 AM 8/30/99 +0100, Uncle Squid wrote: >Geez, > >I've been away from the list for a while. Anyway, I was messing around >looking for mp3s yesterday (what else is there to do on a Sunday afternoon >eh?). I was looking through AllMP3.com's master list and found "Zoot Suit >Riot" by The Cherry Poppin Daddies. I down loaded it because I remembered >that some peeps on the list had mentioned them. Oh my dear GOD it's a damn >fine song. I can't any more mp3's though. Does anyone else have any that I >could have or know where I could find some. I'd prefer studio tracks >rather than live recordings for now. I'm going to start sorting out a >sound track for a Gangster flick I'm writing and the Daddies are on it >now, as are TMBG, Madness, The Specials and many more. WOW! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:47:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! > Erm. Well, one "John Jr." is named Henry ... ...Did this catch anyone else's eye? I mean.. John Linnell, Henry Linnell? ...John...Henry? "John Henry"? And that's a cute name for the kid, besides, nice and simple and rustic and a lot like "John" really but less used :) Lydia Puzzling over the odd Linnell Name Conundrum since 1837! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <81334d93.24fbdabe@aol.com> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:01:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Way back when > How weird! My first exposure to TMBG was through a friend of mine also named > Josh. I wonder if this same Josh is travelling the world to become friends > with people, to only later implant the music of They Might Be Giants in our > heads. I'll have to ask him next time he comes over. > I too have a They-obsessed friend named Josh; however, he was NOT my first influence, Tiny Toons was! And after that I don't remember what got me to buy Flood. I heard who Istanbul was by, and said, I love that song, I'm buying this! Thus was I blessed :) ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <656b688d.24fbdbfb@aol.com> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:07:07 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: King Weed > Laptop? You're lucky to have a laptop! I'm posting this from a > steam-powered contraption in a cave! Cave? You should consider yourself BLESSED with a cave! All I have is this soggy cardboard box and when it rains the ceiling turns green and there's no hot water in the shower and the raccoons are a real problem, to send this message to you I had to break into someone's house and.... Lydia Yammering incoherently since 1837! (Why in MY day...) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:16:40 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37CA8438.6A28BF4@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars! If you buy an acoustic, you'll spend about $300 for a nice guitar. For an electric, the guitar itself is about the same, maybe a little more, but you also would want to buy the amp which doubles the price. I have a 6 string acoustic Yamaha. It's very nice. Cost about $500 with the hard body case. The only problem I have is that the neck on Yamaha's tend to be very thick and I have small hands. But with practice that isnt a problem. My best suggestion would be to buy a Les Paul. In my oppinion, they are the best brand in every aspect. But bear in mind, you get what you pay for, they're very expencive. Hope I was some help. -A Samman85@aol.com wrote: > > Alright. I'm looking to buy a guitar. > > So, I guess my question is... Does anyone know what exactly I should buy? > Have any advice? Whether I should get an electric or acoustic? > > And what guitars do They use for the most part? Any acoustic songs? Or all > electric? > > From what I'm looking at, I just might be spending a couple hundred on one of > these things, so I might as well ask around. > > Sam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:21:35 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37CA855F.3A010718@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! LOL! I didn't pick up on that! Thats great. However, I can't say that I'm a big fan of the name Henry. -A HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > > Erm. Well, one "John Jr." is named Henry ... > > ...Did this catch anyone else's eye? I mean.. John Linnell, Henry Linnell? > ...John...Henry? "John Henry"? > And that's a cute name for the kid, besides, nice and simple and rustic > and a lot like "John" really but less used :) > > Lydia > Puzzling over the odd Linnell Name Conundrum since 1837! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830132339.15648.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Residents Ripping Off TMBG? Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:23:39 PDT Bongo wrote: > I know at least a couple of you (like me) are fans of The Residents. I haven't really heard much by them (perhaps I should remedy this situation soon), but I'll reply to this anyway. >A couple of months >ago, The Residents unofficial mailing list rumored that The Residents >are >supposedly >planning a project based on the Planet of the Apes films. > Hmmm... what an ORIGINAL concept!. :) Well, it was done on "The Simpsons" even before TMBG came up with the idea. Remember "Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off"? I don't really think that one band using some of the same ideas as another band necessarily constitutes a "rip-off," but "Planet of the Apes" isn't exactly a common theme in music, so there may be some TMBG influence there. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830132906.23926.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The ladies (was Re: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes.) Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:29:05 PDT Bob Scott wrote: > > By the way....I give up! Which Mono Puff song was that from?!!! >It's something about > > "the ladies!" But I'm drawing a blank. Please fill me in. > >The clip is: "Not only, but especially for the ladies," from the beginning >part of >"Dedicated," track 8 on "It's Fun To Steal." This post led me to remember Flansburgh's frequent use of the words "the ladies." How many TMBG or Mono Puff songs contain these words? At the moment, I can think of "Dedicated," "Number Three," "Extra Savoir-Faire," the Severe Tire Damage version of "S-E-X-X-Y," and "Hypnotist Of Ladies." Aren't all of these Flansburgh songs? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:41:43 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) In a message dated 8/29/99 10:39:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > I'm not sure if those men like the tight clothing all that much, though. Well you know, what John Linnell was wearing in the videos wasn't TIGHT. The tightest he had were those Levis in BHIYS (You can see the tag at some point, I think they're Levi's. Don't ask me what I was doing paying attention to.. Nevermind! The tag was just so obvious, light brown square in all that black :) ) But anyway, they weren't all that tight, they looked comfortable. Well, they looked comfortable, for the 80's. You know. Lydia Letting her eyes wander freely since 1837 >;) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:39:12 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37CA9790.9A07E481@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: The ladies (was Re: Fatboy Slim sampling Mono Puff? Yes.) "Not only, but especially for the ladies...Mono Puff" come from I belive the eigth song on "It's fun to steal" It's called "Detication" (I think) But it's cool, the say my birthday in it. WOOHOO! Just thouht I'd mention that. teehee. It's one of my most favorite MP songs. -A Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Bob Scott wrote: > > > By the way....I give up! Which Mono Puff song was that from?!!! > >It's something about > > > "the ladies!" But I'm drawing a blank. Please fill me in. > > > >The clip is: "Not only, but especially for the ladies," from the beginning > >part of > >"Dedicated," track 8 on "It's Fun To Steal." > > This post led me to remember Flansburgh's frequent use of the words "the > ladies." How many TMBG or Mono Puff songs contain these words? At the > moment, I can think of "Dedicated," "Number Three," "Extra Savoir-Faire," > the Severe Tire Damage version of "S-E-X-X-Y," and "Hypnotist Of Ladies." > Aren't all of these Flansburgh songs? > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:12:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Residents Ripping Off TMBG? Hey there Bongo, Y'know that's a very good question. And as a Residents fan I think that there might be a bit of inspiration from the Giants who was originally inspired by them. Which doesn't phase me one bit,y'know? Cuz, to me it seems that there is this inspirational circle among musicians. Which I think is great because that's how they grow and develop as an artist. But on the other hand, it could just be a coincidence after all great minds do think alike! ;) Oh BTW, were you able to see the Residents when they were touring in NYC sometime in April? It was a great show. Well, that's about it for me. Take it care, ~Carroll387 In a message dated 8/30/99 1:15:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << The Residents unofficial mailing list rumored that The Residents are supposedly planning a project based on the Planet of the Apes films. Hmmm... what an ORIGINAL concept!. :) If you are a fan of both TMBG and The Residents , you may have noticed a that TMBG seemed to be a *slightly* inspired by The Residents (especially on some of the Then bonus tracks.) Have the Residents now turned the tables on TMBG? Or is this all just a coincidence. (And does this give TMBG the right to do an album based on the Old Testament?) Non Rez fan, please excuse this post. Rez fans, speak up! -B O N G O >> ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:51:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars! Well, I would suggest acoustic because it's easier to manage--like you don't have to carry around an amp, cords, and fiddle with a bunch of controls. Plus I just love the acoustic sound, but I guess it all depends on what type of music you want to play. (BTW, I was pretty lucky and got my guitar for $15 new and it's worth $150!) On the subject of guitars, I would like to learn some TMBG songs on acoustic. Does anyone out there know what songs are good for this? I'm pretty much a beginner, though I have learned a lot of chords. I tried a bit of Ana Ng, but it just doesn't sound like it on acoustic at all! Diana ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:54:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Surname origins In a message dated 8/30/99 9:15:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, HeYAnArChY wrote to me: << > "Linnell" would be of English origin. Are you sure? Most English names are like "Baker" and "Fisher" and "White" and stuff, what would Linnell mean..? >> I am sure. The following are listings I found on the Linnell name, along with the sources they are from. I've left out any confusing reference abbreviations, and summarized where I thought it necessary... From "The Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames" by Charles Wareing Bardsley, M.A.: "Linnell ~ ~ 'The Son of Lionel' ...proved...to have become popularly Lynell or Linel."...this listing later states that forms of this name have been in existence in England since at least the year 1273. From "The Genealogical Guide To The Early Settlers of America" by Henry Whittemore: Linnell or Lynnell, often printed Linnett or Lynnett ~ ~ David Linnell, born in England, married in 1653 John Linnell, (lives in) Barnstable, was a settler here before 1700, he and his wife Ruth had seven children Robert Linnell, with wife, Scituate, 1638; removed to Barnstable next year; left widow and several children, and probably grandchildren Thomas Linnell, in Hampton in 1643 References: Savage's Gen. Dict., I I I., 97; Swift's Barnstable Fams., I I., 148-61. From "The New Dictionary of American Family Names" by Elsdon C. Smith: Linnell ~ ~ (Eng.) <----this means the name's origin is from England... "Descendant of Lionel" Lionel means: "little Leon or little lion". So, Linnell's name, in a nutsell, means: "Descendant of the little lion". The most I could find on Flansburgh's name is that Flans, in German, might be either short for a word that means "from Flanders, or Flemish" like a burg or town established by or containing Flemish people, or a shortened form of the word "Flansch", which means "flange" or "gasket" (maybe a town that makes gaskets, or has something to do with them)...also, I discovered that "Flan" in Irish-Gaelic, means "red". I would need to do more research on his name before I could commit to figuring out it's meaning. Maybe Flans himself knows what it means? I really need to get a hold of a good book of German surnames, which I don't have at my disposal. There are a number of towns in Germany that begin with "Flan", so I guess I'd tend to go more with the "Flemish burg or town" translation than anything else, especially since Belgium is located right next to Germany. If there was a Flansburgh (other possible spellings: Flansburg, Flansberg) Germany at one time (I've heard others question whether there was ever such a place), it is not there anymore. Some towns were utterly destroyed or renamed during WW I I...with all the records of them going up in flames as well. Karen "Correcting the misplaced books on the library shelves" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CAD63B.93A39FCA@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:06:35 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars! DKocar@aol.com wrote: > On the subject of guitars, I would like to learn some TMBG songs on acoustic. > Does anyone out there know what songs are good for this? I'm pretty much a > beginner, though I have learned a lot of chords. I tried a bit of Ana Ng, > but it just doesn't sound like it on acoustic at all! Songs that work well as simple acoustic arrangements... hmmm... I've done Road Movie To Berlin and Women and Men with no computer accompaniment before... they come out kind of OK... Ana Ng actually sounds pretty good with a large body acoustic - a nice loud resonant sound. As long as you're trying to learn songs, I know it's not technically a TMBG song, but Careless Santa is a good one to play... :) -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <21126886.24fc30f0@aol.com> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:09:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Surname origins In a message dated 8/30/99 1:56:41 PM, MuseKJ@aol.com writes: >John Linnell, (lives in) Barnstable, was a settler here before 1700, he >and >his wife wow! so lydia (?) really HAS been admiring john and john since 1837! ;) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:19:07 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: King Weed Message-ID: <19990830.172147.2718.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >Cave? You should consider yourself BLESSED with a cave! All I have is this >soggy cardboard box and when it rains the ceiling turns green and there's no >hot water in the shower and the raccoons are a real problem, to send this >message to you I had to break into someone's house and.... A BOX? You're LUCKY to have a box! I'm camped outside of Bob Scott's house, living in the bushes under his bedroom window, using a crude computer made out of a car battery and a Battleship board. It's *freaking* Nebraska, people! ever-sincere, eriKa, but the promise of catching Bob Scott and taking him home is worth it all! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990830212601.6742.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: King Weed Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:26:01 PDT eriKa wrote: > >Cave? You should consider yourself BLESSED with a cave! All I have is >this > >soggy cardboard box and when it rains the ceiling turns green and >there's no > >hot water in the shower and the raccoons are a real problem, to send >this > >message to you I had to break into someone's house and.... > >A BOX? You're LUCKY to have a box! I'm camped outside of Bob Scott's >house, living in the bushes under his bedroom window, using a crude >computer made out of a car battery and a Battleship board. It's >*freaking* Nebraska, people! Bushes? You're lucky. I'm living at the bottom of a mud puddle, and my messages are sent to the list by carrier pigeon. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:39:36 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37CAFA18.47D56925@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitars! "The Guitar" In the video, they out right give you the chors to one part. The rest is pretty much A's and D's. Relatively easy to play. -A > On the subject of guitars, I would like to learn some TMBG songs on acoustic. > Does anyone out there know what songs are good for this? I'm pretty much a > beginner, though I have learned a lot of chords. I tried a bit of Ana Ng, > but it just doesn't sound like it on acoustic at all! > > Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CB0AB3.61467B60@raex.com> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:50:28 -0400 From: Dirk Hermance Subject: TMBG: Re: Sanity test A. Gaya wrote: > --- Dan McGuire wrote: > > Ok everyone, here's the deal: take the test, write > > your full name and > > test score (to the third decimal) at the given space > > below, copy/paste > > this message and send it on to as many people > > possible including the > > person that sent it to you. I did it and so can you. > > > > http://www.msu.edu/user/loossean/erin/sanity.html > > > > This should give a little insight on you and your > > friends. > > (Add additional numbers as neccesary) > > > > 1. Tyler Hest 72.727% > > 2. Kris Smetana 50.90% (This thing is bullcrap.) > > 3. Jenny Reile 63.636% > > 4. Emily Tollefson 40% (I don't think that's > > right!) > > 5. Brooke Anderson (What a dumb test!) > > 6. Breann Clark 67.27% > > 7. Kris Hansen 58.182% > > 8. Andi Burnett 72.727% > > 9. Laura Carter 38.182% > > 10. Jordan Keith 36.363% > > 11. *Valerie Osterberg* 58.1818181818182% That's > > better than I > > expected $:) > > 12. Ryan Thompson -- 80 % hmmmmmm, figures I > > guess.. > > 13. Marie Strinden: 60% haha... > > 14. Dan McGuire -- 78.18181818181818182% You all > > think you're better than > > me, don't you!!!!! > > 15. Adam Gaya: 54.5454545454etc. Damn not as insane as i thought. > Who wants to hav a shoe war! > >16. kelson hermance Belive it or not, 100%. i seriously took the test, > too. > > _____________________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? no, i yeehaa. > Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:33:54 -0500 From: Blue Yoshi Message-ID: <37CB14E2.8B735947@bigfoot.com> Organization: NA Subject: TMBG: Re: Aagh!!!!!!!!! Well, you think THAT's bad... I have moods when it comes to TMBG. Most of the time I'm a huge dedicated fan, but sometimes I just take a long break from them. Any way, I'm currently in a DEDICATED mood, and I was at a local music store trying out guitars. The guy who worked there and I got to talking, and I mentioned to him that my favorite band was TMBG, and if he had ever heard of them. He said "Oh yeah, I saw them last year here." After researching the internet, I found that TMBG was RIGHT HERE IN FAYETTEVILLE, AR, WHERE I LIVE, AND I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT!!! Obviously, they had come when I was on one of my breaks from them, so I didn't know about it. Big, fat, Aauuggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! GypsyOfSOL@aol.com wrote: > I doubt anyone will be really interested in my annoyance, but I'm going > insane! I've been hoping to get to a TMBG concert for years, and I was so > close this time. First I heard of the Portland concert, arranged > transportation and all that, only to have it dawn on me that I can't go on a > school night. Then I leapt at the chance to go to the Seattle show, but I am > 5 years too young to go. The same sort of thing happened earlier this > summer, when I was struggling to get to the Bare Naked Ladies concert. > Aauuggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! > > Nena ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01bef340$f9c757c0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: NON-TMBG: Brick Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:40:00 -0600 Ok, I know this is a bit off topic, but would someone please tell me what the song 'Brick', by Ben Folds Five is about? Every time I listen to it, I think about something else... Someone help save my sanity! :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico My Shoutcast channel is at 129.138.34.90:7050. No guarantee it'll be up all the time, but at least it's a start, no? Oh yeah. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550 The first Julie Plug tribute page in history!!! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:49:26 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Brick Message-ID: <19990830.194933.11406.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >Ok, I know this is a bit off topic, but would someone please tell me = >what the song 'Brick', by Ben Folds Five is about? Every time I listen = >to it, I think about something else... Someone help save my sanity! :0) It's about getting your dog spayed. Anyway. Actually, it's about being in high school and taking your girlfriend to get an abortion, which is based on a true-life experience on Ben's part. ever-sincere, eriKa, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's a brick and i'm drowning slowly... "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:43:37 -0500 From: Blue Yoshi Message-ID: <37CB1728.152DC705@bigfoot.com> Organization: NA Subject: TMBG: Re: moxy fruvous cd's You will go to the moon. O.k., O.k., I'll admit it, that's the only CD of theirs that I have. But, since I'm new to them, I've been very impressed with this album. Crystal Cooper wrote: > i know this is off-topic, but no one's talking anyway, so it can't hurt. > i own two moxy fruvous cd's (bargainville and live noise). i want to buy > another one. which cd would everyone recommend to me? > > Crystal > > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ > "it takes a lot to make me crazy > and a lot is always going on" > - built to spill > > e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org > > My webpage, featuring Ben Folds Five and They Might Be Giants: > http://fly.to/drpyser > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <36fa6bc.24fc7657@aol.com> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:05:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Surname origins LimeZinger@aol.com writes: > wow! so lydia (?) really HAS been admiring john and john since 1837! > ;) > LOL!! What's the matter? Didn't believe me? ;D Lydia Admiring John and John since 1837! Now you know ;) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CB391F.AB79128D@airmail.net> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:08:31 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > At one point, someone on the list (I think it might have been Danielle, but > I'm not quite sure) mentioned that Flansburgh's was originally the face that > she associated with TMBG. *curtseys* Yes, that was me. I'm amazed anyone remembered that. Hell, *I* didn't remember that until you reminded me. ;) > I think it was pretty much the same way with me. OK, that would explain it. BTW, I'll reiterate what I said in that original post: while Flansburgh was the face I remembered, the voice I thought of was definitely Linnell's. Go figure. > Now that I know more about Them, though, I tend to prefer the Linnellian to > the Flansburghese. Same here. I think it's a personal identification. We antisocial Geminis have to stick together, you see. ;) > >5) I thought that Linnell was pronounced LEN-OLE. > > I thought his name was pronounced with the accent on the first syllable, but > this seems to be a fairly common mistake. I wasn't sure how to say it until I had a college professor with a very similar name which was accented on the second syllable. > Now playing: XTC, Drums And Wires A damn fine choice! Rock on! On a related note, I don't know about Flans, but Linnell was not raised Unitarian. In one of the same interviews where he says he doesn't believe in God, he says he did not have a religious upbringing. So I suppose I can party with the entire Linnell family when we're all sent to hell for heresy (along with Andy Partridge!). ;) Making plans for Nigel, Danielle -- We're all Jesus, Buddha, and the Wizard of Oz. --XTC ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990831020749.32689.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:07:49 PDT Danielle Gaither wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > > At one point, someone on the list (I think it might have been Danielle, >but > > I'm not quite sure) mentioned that Flansburgh's was originally the face >that > > she associated with TMBG. >*curtseys* Yes, that was me. I'm amazed anyone remembered that. Hell, >*I* didn't remember that until you reminded me. ;) I probably wouldn't have, either, if I hadn't come across that post while I was searching for the action figure thread. (Sorry if I shattered any image of myself as someone who remembers every single post ever made to the list.) > > Now that I know more about Them, though, I tend to prefer the Linnellian >to > > the Flansburghese. >Same here. I think it's a personal identification. We antisocial >Geminis have to stick together, you see. ;) I'm not a Gemini, though. > > Now playing: XTC, Drums And Wires >A damn fine choice! Rock on! Today, I played _Nonsuch_ and _Chips From the Chocolate Fireball_. I think I have more albums by XTC than any other band, but that's partially because they've released so many. If TMBG had come out with eleven or twelve albums, I would probably have purchased all of them, too. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CB512E.772CD572@airmail.net> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:51:10 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Danielle Gaither wrote: > >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > > > > At one point, someone on the list (I think it might have been Danielle, > >but > > > I'm not quite sure) mentioned that Flansburgh's was originally the face > >that > > > she associated with TMBG. > >*curtseys* Yes, that was me. I'm amazed anyone remembered that. Hell, > >*I* didn't remember that until you reminded me. ;) > > I probably wouldn't have, either, if I hadn't come across that post while I > was searching for the action figure thread. Ahh, yes. Those were the days... ;) > (Sorry if I shattered any image > of myself as someone who remembers every single post ever made to the > list.) Nah. Actually, that makes me feel much better. ;) > > > Now that I know more about Them, though, I tend to prefer the Linnellian > >to > > > the Flansburghese. > >Same here. I think it's a personal identification. We antisocial > >Geminis have to stick together, you see. ;) > > I'm not a Gemini, though. That's ok. You can still hang with us. ;) Seriously, that's why I said *personal* identification. I'm certainly not trying to imply that all Linnell fans are Geminis, or even antisocial. I don't even think they're all atheists! > > > Now playing: XTC, Drums And Wires > >A damn fine choice! Rock on! > > Today, I played _Nonsuch_ and _Chips From the Chocolate Fireball_. I think > I have more albums by XTC than any other band, but that's partially because > they've released so many. If TMBG had come out with eleven or twelve > albums, I would probably have purchased all of them, too. Heh. Alas, I was just beginning to establish an XTC collection when some bastard broke into my truck and stole my stereo and a bunch of CD's, which included all my XTC! I have, however, since purchased a copy of A Testimonial Dinner, and I would like to go on record as saying TMBG's contribution is way cool. :) > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Munching on some Oranges and Lemons, Danielle -- We're all Jesus, Buddha, and the Wizard of Oz. --XTC ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37CB51E7.9DC5E2C1@airmail.net> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:54:15 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sanity test Gah! *Please* don't forward stuff like this to the list. It ranks right up there with "if u send this 2 15 peepul, ur crush will make out with u" type things. Throw Neiman Marcus cookie recipes in with that group as well. ;) CALL 911 OR YOU WILL DIE, Danielle -- We're all Jesus, Buddha, and the Wizard of Oz. --XTC ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990831041044.16620.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:10:44 PDT Danielle Gaither wrote: > > I'm not a Gemini, though. >That's ok. You can still hang with us. ;) Got to find new friends to hang with, 'cause you're all Geminis. >Seriously, that's why I said >*personal* identification. I'm certainly not trying to imply that all >Linnell fans are Geminis, or even antisocial. I don't even think >they're all atheists! I'm more of an agnostic, myself. By definition, atheists are just as sure in their disbelief as theists are in their belief, and I just can't be that sure about anything. >Heh. Alas, I was just beginning to establish an XTC collection when >some bastard broke into my truck and stole my stereo and a bunch of >CD's, which included all my XTC! I'm sorry. >I have, however, since purchased a >copy of A Testimonial Dinner, and I would like to go on record as saying >TMBG's contribution is way cool. :) I've heard Their cover of "25 O'Clock." Is the rest of the album any good, though? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Lvdryad@aol.com Message-ID: <2912c4f4.24fc95b4@aol.com> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:19:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Should you find yourself in Vegas... Hey, this is just something to think about- for anyone coming here for the all ages show in Las Vegas, do you guys want to meet somewhere? Just a thought so that all the attending listees can say hi in person and everything... I'll see you guys at the show (and I know all the absent listees will be there in spirit...) See you later! Rebecca ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001001bef375$e807c8a0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Las Vegas...but totally off topic. Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:58:53 -0600 Now, this has nothing to do with TMBG, but my girlfriend lives in Las Vegas, Nevada, and I'll be going out there to visit her again in mid October. Not that it matters much... I don't wanna meet any of you freaks, anyway!!! Just kidding... Sorry 'bout that. ;0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico, who /really/ doesn't hate you all. Honest. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-31 ******************************