Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 7 Saturday, 7 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Personal TMBG Crisis TMBG: The Bar that plays Giants TMBG: Graham is back! [temporarily] TMBG: stills from BNW Re: TMBG: different dans Re: TMBG: different dans TMBG: hello again Re: TMBG: The Bar that plays Giants TMBG: some various stuff TMBG: Now that I have everything Re: TMBG: BNW tonight TMBG: Re: Personal TMBG Crisis TMBG: Greetings! Re: TMBG: stills from BNW TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #20-6 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <37A3966E.6231@stlnet.com> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:35:58 -0700 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: Personal TMBG Crisis Tonight I had a TMBG crisis. I asked my mom to tape Brave New World at the end of a misc. TMBG tape that I had positioned in just the right spot. When I got home to watch it, the end of BNW which had nothing to do with TMBG, and everything from local news to reruns of Coach filled my tape. What use to be TMBG hosting Post-Modern MTV in 1990, Much Music Interviews from '90 and 92', a wherehouse Records performance in Seatle Spring 1995, SEXXY on Conan and Til' my head falls off on Viva Variety are all erased. If anyone can offer any way to get these back I will be personally indebted. nick ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000201bee001$fc1cfd60$32d6b0c2@default> From: "alanhooper" Subject: TMBG: The Bar that plays Giants Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:50:11 +0100 Hi I'm new (everyone says that, so I thought I would). I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne in England. The only chance of hearing TMBG is on my own CD's or occasionally Birdhouse on the radio (loads of DJ's seem to like that song). Or I thought until recently. I made friends with a DJ at a Posh, Expensive and very Stylish bar called The Cafe Pacific. I've been lending him CD's though one of the waiters and he seems to really like TMBG. I thought no more about it until I was phoned up by the waiter saying "Al, bring the CD's the good Dj's in" That night he played various songs like Will Smith and "We want a rock","Birdhouse", "Minimum Wage" and "Particle Man" Any way I just Thought I'd share that. I'm trying my best to raise the popularity of them in Newcastle C YA ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37AAF533.7F1B9581@st.com> Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 08:46:11 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: Graham is back! [temporarily] Hey! I just heard on the JJ-list that Graham is touring with TMBG next month! Russ -------- Original Message -------- Subject: RE: [joe-jackson] @ Joe's Pub 8-4-99 After the show closed last night Graham was at the bar, I had to commend him on his great chops. He said he *loves* playing with Joe and as Lisa says, his schedule his tight. He's touring with TMBG next month, as their regular bass player is out of pocket. He also says his "regular" job these days is recording/touring with Natalie Merchant. Like some lister said last week, I bet Joe is really enjoying performing live again, and he's able to do it with no logisitcal incovencience since all his gigs are in his hometown (awright, his second home!) NYCity. On Thursday, August 05, 1999 10:30 AM, Kaufman, Lisa [SMTP:Lisa.Kaufman@perseusbooks.com] wrote: > From: "Kaufman, Lisa" > > What would give you this impression? Joe decided to do these shows > impromptu, and around Graham Maby's extraordinarily busy touring schedule. > Should he not play here if we can't play there? Plus he will be in the UK > for several weeks in October, doing a big reading tour for "A Cure for > Gravity," which has nearly all to do with his British roots. I think your > statement is a bit unfair and not at all true to Joe's sentiments. > > --- jenyman@worldnet.att.net wrote: > > From: jenyman@worldnet.att.net > > > > I just got home after the intimate two hour > > performance by JJ, Graham Mabey and Gary Burke. My > > wife and I had a good time. (JJ said the show was > > being taped.) > > > > The set list: > > > Summer in the City (Loving Spoonful cover) > > > medley: Fools in Love/For Your Love (Yardbirds > > cover) > > > Another World > > > medley: Over the Rainbow (from The Wizard of > > Oz)/Obvious Song > > > Blue Flame (new tune) > > > Junkie Girl (Walter Becker cover) > > > Sea of Secrets > > > We Can't Live Together > > > ?!(A song only introduced as one of his favorite > > songs; I don't know it) > > > medley: Be My Number Two/It's Different For Girls > > Introducing three songs as rough works in progress, > > all to be song by female voices when recorded: > > > Glamour and Pain (new tune) > > > Dear Mom (new tune) > > > Love Got Lost (new tune; JJ wants Marianne > > Faithful to sing this one) > > > Nineteen Forever > > > medley: The In Crowd (Ramsey Lewis cover)/Down to > > London > > > King of the World (Steeley Dan cover) > > > You Can't Get What You Want ('Til You Know What > > You Want) > > Encore: > > > Don't Get Around Much Anymore (Duke Ellington > > cover played in honor of the Duke's 100th birthday) > > > A Slow Song > > > > At the show I picked up several of JJ's handbills > > announcing "Symphony No. 1" and "A Cure For > > Gravity". US Release dates for these are October 19 > > and 20, respectfully. The CD features Joe on > > keyboards, with additional performances by Steve Vai > > on electric guitar, Terence Blanchard on trumpet and > > Mary Rowell on violin and viola. The flyer refers > > us to two websites for updates and more information: > > > > > > sonyclassical.com > > publicaffairsbooks.com > > > > From someone who couldn't get in to the Bottom Line > > concerts, this date was a much-anticipated treat. > > JJ was loose and rough. Graham and Gary played along > > ably. My only minor gripe was that in such a small > > space, Gary's drumming was a bit too harsh and the > > piano was drowned out. > > > > John Nyman > > jenyman@worldnet.att.net > === > ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:52:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: stills from BNW okay, um,.. i was bored this morning. i made a couple of "stills" from tmbg's 2 brave new world appearances... they're not GREAT, because they're just me taking pictures of the tv screen with my digital camera. yep. but they're still kinda cool, some are kinda sucky, but some are great. anyway.. i stuck 'em up on a very lazy page: http://members.aol.com/limezinger/bravenewtmbg.html yehhh. oh, and ignore the #'s in the file names -- i'm mentally a month behind. ;) i noticed that, but i'm too lazy to go rename all of them and change the html. so .. enh. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990806145823.58391.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: different dans Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 07:58:22 PDT Keem Bearlee wrote: >Nobody mentioned that they switched to the other set of Dans.... Other set of Dans? If you're talking about Brave New World, I'm pretty sure that Hickey, Weinkaupf, and Miller appeared on it, as they did last week. Or do They keep another set of look-alike Dans for emergencies? Of maybe the Dans were really robots, who purposely programmed Cog to be a lousy drummer so that people wouldn't realize how intelligent machines really are. It's all part of their master plan, isn't it? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:04:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: different dans In a message dated 8/6/99 10:00:53 AM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >Other set of Dans? If you're talking about Brave New World, I'm pretty >sure >that Hickey, Weinkaupf, and Miller appeared on it, and levine. :) one of the velcro horns. i can't remember if he's the dan hickey-ish looking one or not. the other one would be jim o'connor for the record. i think jim is the one that played that pen-keyboard as well. don't remember. oh ohOH! i forgot to mention.. i think linnell singing with that robotic effect is one of the Sexiest Things In The World, yes. sarah {g} ------------------------------ From: FID889@aol.com Message-ID: <4f1d94b8.24dc6217@aol.com> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:06:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: hello again so i am on the list, but very rarely have time to read anything. i haven't been keeping up at all, and all i know is that they released this MP3 cd. could someone give me a quick run-down of all other things giant, such as the formerly talked about children's album, and if that is still happening. thanx. megan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990806163520.9428.rocketmail@web115.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:35:20 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Bar that plays Giants I thought no more about it until I was > phoned up by the waiter > saying "Al, bring the CD's the good Dj's in" > > That night he played various songs like Will Smith > and "We want a > rock","Birdhouse", "Minimum Wage" and "Particle Man" > > Any way I just Thought I'd share that. > I'm trying my best to raise the popularity of them > in Newcastle > > C YA Mwaa haha we shall use TMBG's mind control power to take over newcastle! THEn all of england!!! mwa hah... Wait what mind control power? Oh well it's great that TMBG is actually getting that kind of exposure. Personally I think that is better than "Tiny Toons" or "Brave New World" Because it keeps them from being thought of as that kindergarden band or that band that does *SHUDDER* educational songs. Keep up the good work AL! -Adam "Mwa hahaha" Gaya Current theme song: THe Killer Tent Song. -moxy fruvous _____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Nova19@aol.com Message-ID: <63b7132c.24dc74b5@aol.com> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:26:13 EDT Subject: TMBG: some various stuff Some topics/questions: 1. What about the secret tracks? Why is everyone trying to confuse me? Can anyone just please give a straight answer? thanks! 2. I know this was already asked, but what time and what channel is BNW on? I missed it again last night, damn me! 3. Does anyone know when They're gonna play in CA? I've never seen them live. I know, it's pathetic. Well that's about it, so far. Lates, Lindsey "The heck d'ya mean?!?! The heck d'ya mean!?!?!" -Carl Showalter (Steve Buscemi) imitating Jerry Lundegaard (Will Macy) in the movie Fargo. How nice! ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Now that I have everything Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:54:34 -0400 Anyone out there got the Dial A Song version of "Now That I Have Everything" in either MP3 or WAV that they would be so kind as to email me a quickly as possible? Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:00:25 -0400 From: "Wen-Po Tsai" Message-ID: <7ofbk6$2ou3$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW tonight > > > Tonight, however, I thought he looked a > > > >lot younger than he has lately - maybe he'll be the subject of one of the > > > >upcoming shows? "How Men Defy Time"? > > > linnell was freakin' beautiful. :) and when they showed that shot of just > him.. i couldn't help but wonder if we will be innundated with "LINNELL IS SO > HOT!" messages from new fans? ..probably not, but... > > Linnell is always beautiful :) And speaking of him (and Flansburgh, of course), someone mentioned a TMBG performance on This American Life before. Not great quality, but it's still in the '98 archives at http://www.thislife.org . The performance included New York City, Born, Shoehorn With Teeth, She's Actual Size, and Dr. Worm. Be sure to get the uncut one if you want New York City. Dyanne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:50:19 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ofdgs$2q7k$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Personal TMBG Crisis Pat Acquisto wrote in message news:37A3966E.6231@stlnet.com... > Tonight I had a TMBG crisis. I asked my mom to tape Brave New World at > the end of a misc. TMBG tape that I had positioned in just the right > spot. When I got home to watch it, the end of BNW which had nothing to > do with TMBG, and everything from local news to reruns of Coach filled my > tape. What use to be TMBG hosting Post-Modern MTV in 1990, Much Music > Interviews from '90 and 92', a wherehouse Records performance in Seatle > Spring 1995, SEXXY on Conan and Til' my head falls off on Viva Variety > are all erased. If anyone can offer any way to get these back I will be > personally indebted. > > nick I dunno if you can get all that stuff back, but you can get some of it back, as well as other TMBG video material, from Russ Josephson's Video Bootleg Project, now up to 3 volumes with more to come. http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbg.htm -Jay ------------------------------ From: CJ Kucera Message-Id: <199908062043.PAA07404@scortch.unisrv.net> Subject: TMBG: Greetings! Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:43:02 -0500 (CDT) Greetings, humans! My name's CJ Kucera; I was on this list ages ago, and I've just re-subscribed briefly for more-or-less one purpose: I'm rather interested in obtaining recordings of TMBG live recordings . . . It's been awhile since I've last seen Them live, and the broadcast.com concert has only made the desire stronger. ;) 1) If talking about bootlegs, etc, onlist is considered "taboo" or whatever now, please just let me know and I'll be happily on my way; I don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities. 2) I'd probably have extremely little in terms of trading, as I don't tend to collect bootlegs, and most of my music tends to be very NOT tmbg-ish. I'm perfectly willing to send blank tapes, etc, or we could work other things out. Um, yeah. I think that's just about it. Thanks for your time! -CJ Cyborg J. Kucera "I think there's something strangely musical about noise." - Trent Reznor WOW: Serendipity | pez@unisrv.net | http://www.unisrv.net/pez ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:05:27 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: stills from BNW Message-ID: <19990806.170714.-886779.2.gray42@juno.com> On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:52:51 EDT LimeZinger@aol.com writes: > > okay, um,.. i was bored this morning. > > i made a couple of "stills" from tmbg's 2 brave new world > appearances... > they're not GREAT, because they're just me taking pictures of the tv > screen > with my digital camera. yep. but they're still kinda cool, some > are kinda > sucky, but some are great. anyway.. i stuck 'em up on a very lazy > page: > > > http://members.aol.com/limezinger/bravenewtmbg.html > > > yehhh. oh, and ignore the #'s in the file names -- i'm mentally a > month > behind. ;) i noticed that, but i'm too lazy to go rename all of > them and > change the html. so .. enh. > Wow Sarah, nice collection. I've been waiting for someone to do this. I even searched ABC.com hoping to find a promotional pic, but unsuccessfully. Thank you thank you (especially since I missed the older vidio) After years of pic hunting, TMBG shots, or shots of any kind are limited, especially close-ups. And I've been impatiently waiting for new material. And boy are these shows gonna give me material. :D With my vidio comps, and wanting certain shots for my art, I had to resort to freezing the vidio frame, and drawing it onto paper. And I'll do it again if I have to. I must say that the shots of Linnell in older are very sexy, I like the fact that his face is well lit, and of course, black & white Here's to digital cameras Mysterio Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > > sarah ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990807042355.2104.rocketmail@web208.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 21:23:55 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #20-6 > Someone recently posted speaking of trying to find > out who MC Search is > and I found this in TMBG articles in case it > interests you (revealing > that he is from 3rd Bass). I don't know if you > found out the name from > here - in which case you've already seen this - or I > thought you said > Flansburgh was referring to himself somewhere rather > than a journalist > mentioning it like here. > > "John Flansburgh meets us at his front door from > behind an armful of > groceries. He is the one that looks like MC Search > from '3rd Bass'. John > Linnell is the one that looks like John Cale." > > I hope this helps at least a tiny bit in your > search. no pun > intended...originally > > Garrett > Liggett > uh yeah i have this 120 minutes thing on tape w/ tmbg and the host guy i think his name was dave casedi or something but not that one dave casedi and he said i'm dave casedi and linnel goes i'm john casedi and flasns says i'm MC Search. now if flans had one of those flat top haircuts he would look idenical to mc search. and one more thing w/ the hidden tracks whats this spitting something song fill me in on it come on let me in on the inside joke === Chris Tyler Check out my sites: http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/12rods http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/stadium/8282 http://www.angelfire.com/ny/gamersquad _____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-7 *****************************