Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 12 Sunday, 12 September 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Atlanta Show report TMBG: Atlanta!!! TMBG: Re: Afraid of monkeys TMBG: TMBG on radio programs... TMBG: Re: You Were Spiraling TMBG: um TMBG: Bowery Shows TMBG: Radio TMBG? TMBG: Growing Antlers TMBG: re: criticism Re: TMBG: Bowery Shows Re: TMBG: TMBG and MP3 Re: TMBG: Way back when TMBG: Preachin' (was: Flans' religious association --) Re: TMBG: Re: Montana! Re: TMBG: Bowery Shows Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <4.1.19990911021409.0096ec30@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 02:20:56 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: Atlanta Show report Hey everyone, Just returned from the Atlanta show at the Roxy. It was very nice. I don't have a setlist, but it seems like it was mighty similar to the one that was posted the other day. Its also now officially my birthday! What a cool day. My ears are so ringing now. My best birthday present so far: The whole backup band signed my shirt, and Dan Miller wrote "19 Yea!!" on it, because I told him it was my birthday. He was most excellently nice to everybody, and I actually talked to him a little bit. No Johns came out though. I witnessed my first famous "Linnell getaway." Flansy never left the bus, but I saw him through the windows right before they left. Not the best birthday ever, but.... not bad. Mr Klaw!! They played Mr Klaw. It was so cool. For anyone who was there, I was the guy with the fro-ey hair near the front dancing around and acting all goofy. It was great. Was somebody on the list at Wendy's before the show? I met a fan and we talked briefly, and only later did I think he might be on here. Well, later guys... I'm gonna crash for a long time. Love, the hanged man ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990911071313.40382.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: TMBG: Atlanta!!! Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 07:13:13 GMT *sighs* I'm in heaven...almost. They didn't play Istanbul, even though the audience asked for it. But it was COOL! :) Got a bootleg of it...woohoo! :P Emar, sorry we didn't meet up...maybe another time :) And hello to Jasmine (if she's on here!) Getting to catch up with you was /so/ nifty! I'll post the set list once I listen to my tape... Julie, /way/ too hyper for 3 AM.... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37DA48B3.D0AF385A@access995.com> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:18:59 -0400 From: moses Subject: TMBG: Re: Afraid of monkeys I'm baaaack! Hi, and sorry to have scared you, Lydia. I'm not really what you would call a "monkey person." Actually, that would be Kris. He's the singer in our band, the Abdominal Snowmen. We do some tmbg covers, and that's why I thought it would be appropriate to contact the readers of this fine publication(?) about the list of monkey songs. It's not as though I have to fit the word monkey in every sentence. But not that you mention it, there are monkey people? Where the monkey can I find them? Would they be too busy monkeying around to help me build up the list? What's wrong with a healthy monkey obsession, anyway? (umm. gotta go. time for my medication. (muffled)no! No! Oohoohoohaahaahaah!) moses ps - find the list at http://www.crosswinds.net/~abdominalyeti ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990911125403.70885.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on radio programs... Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 06:54:03 MDT TMBG-ers: Fun FYI-- I am a DJ at two different college radio stations in Colorado. The first station, KSRX, is the STUDENT RUN station for the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, and we have not one, but THREE TMBG followers on staff. TMBG gets a massive percentage of our airplay, and although we only broadcast to about 6000 people, that is, at very least, something cool. The second station, KUNC, is the national public radio feed for the northern CO region, and I was ecstatic to be on shift to play an interview of John F. featured on NPR's Weekly Edition this week!!! Anyway, if anyone has anything rare and cool they want to donate for the good cause of converting innocent Coloradoans to TMBG freakdom, (or any other awesome airworthy material, even your own!) send it to: Jess Schleiger KSRX Programming/Music Director 928 20th Street Greeley, Co 80639 email: or Thank you... looking forward to the upcoming shows in Vegas, Boulder CO, and Denver Co!! Love and Cookies for Everyone! jEsSiCa ~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301befc64$1550d260$02000003@z2w4s8> From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: You Were Spiraling Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:43:58 -0400 I asked JP about that; he said he gets that alot. Check out the You Were Spiraling website featuring art by Brain Dewan and photos by me. :) http://members.aol.com/ywstoog/ -Mike >Anyway does anyone else think that the guitarist from You Were >Spiraling looks exactly like Matthew Perry(Chandler) from Friends? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199909111456.KAA41666@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:57:34 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: um Can someone explain this? From www.theymightbegiants.com: 10/14/99 Washington DC 930 Club From www.pollstar.com: 10/14/99 Pittsburgh PA Metropol --Jason-- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburgh "You could say, like, 'Americans are stupid', but that would be incredibly mean." -John Linnell ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:43:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bowery Shows To let everyone know, the Bowery shows are from Oct 20-23, that's Wed.-Sat. You can get tickets to the shows only through the Bowery Ballroom or Mercury Lounge ticket offices, or through Ticketweb.com. The shows haven't been posted yet, because the tickets haven't gone on sale yet! Keep checking the website, they'll be up there soon. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37DA79A5.19D31DBA@bu.edu> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:47:49 -0400 From: Casey Schreiner Organization: Boston University Subject: TMBG: Radio TMBG? Hey everyone. Just a quick question.... where exactly is this Radio TMBG? Supergracias -Casey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <387645611.937079298749.JavaMail.root@web04.pub01> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:48:18 -0400 (EDT) From: atomic worm Subject: TMBG: Growing Antlers does the train on track two talk to you too? a bomb was dropped on the worm, and he could play drums. charley hoehnen [drworm@mad.scientist.com] [hoehnen@uwm.edu] __________________________________________________ FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <381704736.937079477425.JavaMail.root@web04.pub01> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:51:17 -0400 (EDT) From: atomic worm Subject: TMBG: re: criticism (sorry this is late) in response to the "any bands you DO like everything by" question. i answer thus: i BLINDLY love they might be giants. if they shat unto a microphone, i would enjoy it.. i'd like to quote another band that i love everything from (joan of arc) "it's not the song it's the singer, you've got some fucking technique baby." so, i love everything ever done or ever will be done by: tmbg - reason: they are more dear to me than my parents joan of arc- reason: tim kinsella's voice is unique and tells the story it wants to. and it's weird enough as it is. coil- reason: http://www.brainwashed.com/coil low- it is beautiful. the call me doctor worm good morning how are you i'm doctor worm [charley] __________________________________________________ FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199909111951.PAA05478@smtp.snet.net> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:53:58 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Shows > To let everyone know, the Bowery shows are from Oct 20-23, that's Wed.-Sat. > You can get tickets to the shows only through the Bowery Ballroom or Mercury > Lounge ticket offices, or through Ticketweb.com. The shows haven't been > posted yet, because the tickets haven't gone on sale yet! Keep checking the > website, they'll be up there soon. allow me to complain now... that's the only place that they're going to ANYWHERE EVEN FRIGGIN NEAR ME! and finally... i had a way to get there, someone great to go with...it was all set and wonderful. but NOOOO... the Bowery has to be one of those yucky places that has that silly rule that you have to be 18 or older. i mean, it would have been perfect... go to a show on October 22 (his friggin BIRTHDAY). my first show ever. grr. it wouldn't be so bad, but that's IT. i feel that i am destined to never see Them. never ever. -jen One day, I was listening to a tape and my father walked in. He said that I should seek some psychiatric help. I laughed at him, for why would I need that? And then I proceeded to smash a mouse into the wall until his brains splattered. Then I had sex with a penguin. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990912000647.30782.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and MP3 Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:06:47 CDT >Just found this photo of a few of the members of the Winamp >development >team. The guy on the far right (Brennen Underwood) is >wearing a TMBG >T-Shirt. It would appear that the lad on the far left is also wearing a TMBG shirt . . . the one I'm wearing right this second, the "Happiness" shirt. What are the odds? Kristina "Blarg!" Panos ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: ARealWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <86100e02.250c4d1f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:26:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Way back when In a message dated 99-08-28 02:16:48 EDT, fatter@thinner.com writes: << That's I can remember now, but I'm sure there's something else. Way down inside me, I can feel it comin' back...nope, false alarm. AS you can see, I was extremely misinformed. Does anyone else have any similiar stories? Or even some of the same as me? Please share. >> I have one! When my friend first introduced me to TMBG, she first introuduced me to flood which i thought was the coolest thing in the world, and then i borrowed Earlier Years which I thought wasnt so great (at the time!). I wondered why there was such a change. When I heard the song "Hi, were the replacements" I thought there were actually replacements for the lead singers (didnt even know who john and john were) and this was their first song. Thus the change. It made a lot of sense to me back then... ------------------------------ From: ARealWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:39:00 EDT Subject: TMBG: Preachin' (was: Flans' religious association --) In a message dated 99-08-29 00:19:56 EDT, you write: << R-O-F-freakin'-L!! That guy can be NASTY! But I hate to say it, and I hope I do not offend anyone, I've had people tell me about Jesus before. They wouldn't stop, they wouldn't listen, they weren't open minded and they have this amazing talent of being able to NOT SHUT UP FOR A SECOND FOR THREE HOURS. Then again, when it comes to ANY religious fanatics, I become very closed-minded, stubborn and angry, which doesn't help much... >> Can you blame them? Christians have found something so amazing that they want to share with their family, friends, and the entire world! For me, I dont share Jesus cuz I'm supposed to, only because I care. Am I being too preachy for you? Good! Love hurts, man. Real "Save Me, Son of God" Worm ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <83818e4d.250c5675@aol.com> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 21:05:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Montana! In a message dated 9/11/99 1:10:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jay@tmbg.org writes: > > try either of these links: > > http://members.tripod.com/oscillaten/montana.zip How come when I try to go there it takes me to the tripod site, and when I try to click on the link that says "Click here to download the file" it just takes me back to the exact same page? I'M GETTING FRUSTRATED!! AAAH! Lydia Perturbed and Confusticated since 1837 ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 21:38:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bowery Shows In a message dated 9/11/99 11:44:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, JJRRutgers@aol.com writes: > To let everyone know, the Bowery shows are from Oct 20-23, that's Wed.-Sat. > You can get tickets to the shows only through the Bowery Ballroom or Mercury > > Lounge ticket offices, or through Ticketweb.com. The shows haven't been > posted yet, because the tickets haven't gone on sale yet! Keep checking the > > website, they'll be up there soon. > I should read all the mail before I reply *^_^* thanks! I panicked!! Lydia BIRMA! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-12 ******************************