Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 14 Tuesday, 14 September 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Raleigh Concert / Weird Linnell Story TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-13 TMBG: joining the digest Re: TMBG: Raleigh Concert / Weird Linnell Story TMBG: bootlegs TMBG: Bootlegging... TMBG: Birthday and baseball Re: TMBG: Birthday and baseball TMBG: Re: Birthday and baseball TMBG: Reference of the Week Re: TMBG: Reference of the Week Semi-TMBG: Some questions about The Mundanes TMBG: Cincy show Re: Semi-TMBG: Some questions about The Mundanes Re: TMBG: Cincy show Re: TMBG: Cincy show Re: TMBG: Cincy show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <37DCC30C.27E6CC20@ntwrks.com> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 05:25:33 -0400 From: RedWolf Subject: TMBG: Raleigh Concert / Weird Linnell Story Hello, all you loyal TMBG fans. I just decided to clue you in on the events of the Raleigh, NC concert that took place on 09/11/99 at the Ritz. First of all, the show was great, albeit short, and the opening band, "You Were Spiraling," did some fairly ok 80's covers. Interesting highlights of the Giants' show included their performances of "Mr. Klaw" and "The Famous Polka." They played Linnell's three, possibly-most-famous songs, "Don't Let's Start," "Ana Ng," and "Birdhouse in Your Soul," all of which are good to hear live. Hmm.. let's see.. what else.. there were two encores as usual.. the second one consisted of, as Linnell said, "All songs not written by TMBG." In other words, "Maybe I Know" and "Istanbul." Maybe they played another one, but I've forgotten already. Anyway, here's the interesting bit: after the show I went around back to see if I could get the ever-so-elusive autograph from your friend and mine, John Linnell. At first there were about twenty people waiting outside their bus, but it soon thinned down to ten, and then seven. I saw Flansburgh through the bus window (and through a crack in a curtain) eating some pizza, but overall, Dan Hickey monopolized the view. A girl with the setlist managed to get a security/roadie guy to go on the bus and ask THEM for THEIR autographs. He succeeded, but when he came out he said that they were tired and when he held out the paper they all rushed to the back of the bus. Essentially, he didn't think THEY'd come out. Soon it was just me, sitting on the curb. By that time I had already been there an hour, but I thought, "What the hell, I haven't got anything better to do." And so there I sat. Eventually, a woman pulled up in an SUV, knocked on the bus door and out came Graham Maby and Dan Miller. I said "Hey, Graham," as he stepped in the car and he said "Hey" back. Well, they drove off, and I waited. "Will the Johns ever come out?" I wondered. Sure enough, Linnell got off the bus and rushed around the opposing side of the bus in an act of avoidance. Keep in mind however, that I was keeping my distance at about twenty feet away. I didn't want to seem imposing/annoying/threatening. Linnell then came around to the other side of the bus and opened the side luggage compartment. Then, much to my surprise, he pulled out a bicycle. I said, "Is that Mr. Linnell?" trying to be polite. No response. "Guess not," I said. Immediately, "South Carolina" popped into my head (I wonder if that really happened?). He hopped on the bike and sped around the parking lot a few times, and as he pushed up his glasses to the top of his head, he rode straight in front of me, turned out of the parking lot, and sped down the road. Guess he wasn't so tired after all. Interestingly enough, he never acknowledged my existence. Not even a glance. I stayed for another fifteen minutes or so, but he never came back to the bus. The woman in the SUV pulled up again and she asked me if I had a ride. I said yes, thank you, I have a car. She was quite friendly and I wondered if she was one of the band member's wives. Eventually the driver got on and started the bus, and that's when I left. Well, kids, that's it. I got my lousy $20 t-shirt and my nifty "They'll Need A Crane" CD3s, but no autograph. Unfortunately, I had completely forgotten that I had slipped into "invisible mode" earlier that night. Otherwise, I might have actually touched that etheric plane of excellence, otherwise known as THEM. Just another sighting of that wild, mysterious creature that we know simply as "Linnell." --Benj redwolf@ntwrks.com ------------------------------ From: CurlyMan4@aol.com Message-ID: <5ff69cfc.250e3e78@aol.com> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 07:48:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-13 Go to my movie site at www.angelfire.com/il2/thecritic/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:52:38 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: joining the digest Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Geee, I find that coming across 700 messages in my mailbox can be mighty > stressful. Since I delete all my messages, could someone forward me the > list faq so I can switch to digest. I'm addicted to this funky place, > and don't want to leave, so I'll give digest a try before I throw in the > towel. I can only check my e-mail durring the weekend, which leaves me > little time. I'm a confirmed digester myself... I'd go nuts on the bounce version of this list. :) You'll need to unsubscribe yourself from the bounce list and subscribe to the digest list instead. Mail majordomo@tmbg.org with this in the body of the message: unsubscribe tmbg-list subscribe tmbg-digest Mysterio Gal, the FAQ is huge. If you really really want it, e-mail me privately and I'll send it your way. --nicole twn *** "There's a right turn somewhere that will take you to the wrong place."--Peter Mulvey Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37DD1FB0.85BF1C18@fruhead.com> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:00:48 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Raleigh Concert / Weird Linnell Story RedWolf wrote: > Interesting highlights of the Giants' show included their performances of > "Mr. Klaw" and "The Famous Polka." They played Linnell's three, > possibly-most-famous so, I'm curious - did Linnell play the guitar for Mr. Klaw? -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990913175507.15222.rocketmail@web1105.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:55:07 -0700 (PDT) From: Kerry S Subject: TMBG: bootlegs Does anyone have recordings of the Winston Salem or Raleigh shows? __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001401befe13$fcd36a20$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Bootlegging... Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:15:41 -0600 Alright, so I'm going to the Albuquerque show, and I've been contemplating bootlegging it. Only problem is, this is my first TMBG show /ever/, and I don't want to get thrown out when it's highly unlikely they'll ever come back to New Mexico again. So I ask all of you, in all your combined divine wisdom. What should I do? Should I boot the concert, and if I do, how should I sneak in the recording equipment? Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico Oh yeah...and get paid to surf the 'net, while you're at it: http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=AVV-359 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: <43bb1dbd.250ec237@aol.com> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:10:15 EDT Subject: TMBG: Birthday and baseball Hi, just got back from vacation. I had two things I wanted to share... First of all -- was yesterday Linell's fortieth birthday? According to my numbers (they may be off), Linell was born in 1959, and his birthday is Sept. 12th, so I'm right? E-mail if I'm off. Second -- I picked up a copy of Baseball Weekly while I was gone, and right on page 4, a mini headline read: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS Cool, huh? It was about the San Fransisco Giants' lineup. I nearly fell out of my seat! On that note, go Indians! Rick Jennings, Source of really off-the-wall posts ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:14:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Birthday and baseball In a message dated 9/13/99 4:12:09 PM, RingOH@aol.com writes: >First of all -- was yesterday Linell's fortieth birthday? According to >my >numbers (they may be off), Linell was born in 1959, and his birthday is >Sept. >12th, so I'm right? E-mail if I'm off. your numbers are way off. he was born in june. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:40:37 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37DD6F55.6671694@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Birthday and baseball june 12th babe, june 12th. he's already 40. RingOH@aol.com wrote: > > Hi, just got back from vacation. I had two things I wanted to share... > > First of all -- was yesterday Linell's fortieth birthday? According to my > numbers (they may be off), Linell was born in 1959, and his birthday is Sept. > 12th, so I'm right? E-mail if I'm off. > > Second -- I picked up a copy of Baseball Weekly while I was gone, and right > on page 4, a mini headline read: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS Cool, huh? It was about > the San Fransisco Giants' lineup. I nearly fell out of my seat! On that note, > go Indians! > > Rick Jennings, > Source of really off-the-wall posts ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:37:28 EDT Subject: TMBG: Reference of the Week Looks like things are pickin' up in the TMBG department... For those of you who follow the role-gaming industry, (and I think you who you are...) then you know White Wolf Gaming (yaaaay, local business!) is putting out ABERRANT, their superhero game. Anyway, I was flipping through this little 20-something page cardback sourcebook, about a Project Utopia, or something, and what do I see, but that one of the major superhuman residents of that earth is a fellow that they call Doctor Worm. (For the record, he doesn't look like a worm, or a doctor... he looks kinda wrinkly and weird....) Emar, who will post a stupidly huge review of the ATL show... "This is MY Susanna Hoffs thing..." -John Linnell. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01befe4d$e1bf4c60$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Re: TMBG: Reference of the Week Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:10:05 -0600 For those of you who follow the role-gaming industry, here's another interesting little tidbit from White Wolf... "Vampire: The Masquerade. Redemption", the long awaited computer rpg is on its way... Go here. http://www4.activision.com/games/vampire/ Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico. ----- Original Message ----- From: To: ; Sent: Monday, September 13, 1999 6:37 PM Subject: TMBG: Reference of the Week > Looks like things are pickin' up in the TMBG department... For those of you > who follow the role-gaming industry, (and I think you who you are...) then > you know White Wolf Gaming (yaaaay, local business!) is putting out ABERRANT, > their superhero game. Anyway, I was flipping through this little > 20-something page cardback sourcebook, about a Project Utopia, or something, > and what do I see, but that one of the major superhuman residents of that > earth is a fellow that they call Doctor Worm. (For the record, he doesn't > look like a worm, or a doctor... he looks kinda wrinkly and weird....) > > Emar, who will post a stupidly huge review of the ATL show... > > "This is MY Susanna Hoffs thing..." > -John Linnell. > ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:43:18 EDT Subject: Semi-TMBG: Some questions about The Mundanes Hello all: I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me what the title of The Mundanes 7" record was called...was it just called "The Mundanes," or did it have a separate title? That was the only release by them, correct? Also, does anybody know the label it was released on? Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out. Karen :-) (MuseKJ@aol.com) Muse of the Day: Clio ~ ~ Muse of History & Mimicry ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990914023334.56738.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: Cincy show Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:33:33 PDT Hey, I couldn't help but notice that on Pollstar the Cincinatti show is listed as being in some place called 'Electra'. I can't find evidence that this place even exists. I'm doubly confused because TMBG has alwas played played at bogarts when they come through Cincinatti. Anyone know what's up? Also, for anyone going to this particular show, A pre-show meal might be fun. -John "The Third John" Landis ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:46:38 -0400 Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: Some questions about The Mundanes Message-ID: <19990913.224648.-417611.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> it was independently pressed and it's pretty damn awesome. totally non-tmbg-esque but totally rockin' take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:21:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Cincy show In a message dated 9/13/99 10:34:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dream_stage@hotmail.com writes: << Hey, I couldn't help but notice that on Pollstar the Cincinatti show is listed as being in some place called 'Electra'. I can't find evidence that this place even exists. I'm doubly confused because TMBG has alwas played played at bogarts when they come through Cincinatti. Anyone know what's up? Also, for anyone going to this particular show, A pre-show meal might be fun. -John "The Third John" Landis >> Electra is at 1133 Sycamore St., in the Over-The Rhine district of Cincinnati. If you need directions on how to get there from where you live, you can just e-mail me, and I'll help you out. Karen :-) (MuseKJ@aol.com) ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:40:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Cincy show I've found a phone number for Electra in Cincinnati, in case any of you want to call them for more information on the TMBG show: (513) 621-1100. I found it listed under a club called "Sycamore Gardens," at the same address for Electra. The number is the same, only the listing I found for Electra didn't provide an area code. I don't know if Sycamore Gardens is an old name for the club, or an AKA name. Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <3b68ccbd.250f23fa@aol.com> Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:07:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Cincy show > or an AKA name. > Hey, Sycamore Gardens, it's Sycamore Gardens tiiiime... ;) Lydia Being frivolous and silly since 1837 ;) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-14 ******************************