Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 20 Monday, 20 September 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: New Technology Re: TMBG: Geeks (was New Technology) TMBG: The Power of Dial-a-Song (and your call's next!) Re: TMBG: Geeks (was New Technology) TMBG: Whatever happened to Dial-A-Song? Re: TMBG: Whatever happened to Dial-A-Song? Re: TMBG: Geeks (was New Technology) TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG: Brave New World Re: TMBG: Geeks (was New Technology) TMBG: Re: Brave New World TMBG: Madison show 10/10/99 details Re: TMBG: Re: (none) TMBG: You were spiraling Re: TMBG: Re: (none) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <37E49E6B.8E27AFC8@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 01:27:25 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: New Technology HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote > Flansy plays guitar ina rock band and he most DEFINITELY >is a geek! One of the coolest, cutest damn geeks I've seen but ya know! Personally, I wouldn't call either John a "geek". The only reason they might seem geeky is because everyone else in contemporary music tries so hard to put on a phony cool act. John and John are just themselves. They express themselves through their music and not their clothes. As for their fans, I would say 20% are genuine geeks. I say this from observing them at many TMBG shows. Most of us though are "normal" on the cool scale. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990919150226.68370.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Geeks (was New Technology) Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 08:02:26 PDT Bongo wrote: >As for their fans, I would say 20% are genuine geeks. I say this from >observing them at many TMBG shows. Most of us though are "normal" on >the >cool scale. I'm about as far from "normal" as you can get, but I'm not sure I'd be considered a geek. Well, I guess I'm an intellectual, which is enough to make some people place me in the "geek" category. I also spend a lot of time on the computer, but I don't really do technical stuff with it, since I'm not mechancially inclined. Actually, I don't think that I can fit in any category, and the same might be true of many TMBG fans, as well as the Johns Themselves. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:24:54 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: The Power of Dial-a-Song (and your call's next!) Message-ID: On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > primarily of "We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime" and "The Writing's On The > Wall," which don't really sound TMBG-ish. Then again, TMBG can sound like > pretty much anything. We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime, I'm virtually certain, is a TMBG original. I suspect the other is as well, but I can't prove it... > The demo of "O, Do Not Forsake Me" is amusing. It sounds like a cross > between a country folk ballad and a nursery rhyme, or something like that, > while the finished version sounds sort of gospel-like. I like the embryonic version of I Pal I, myself. :) Entirely different words, radically different (but similar, in a slowed-down way) music. It's also fun to hear "Ondine" and "Don't Make Me Kill You Again" as separate songs. --nicole twn whose friends once tried conference-calling DAS, but it didn't work. :( *** "I'm going down to where my angels live..."--Peter Mulvey Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 14:04:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Geeks (was New Technology) Message-ID: <19990919.140411.12614.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Bongo said: >As for their fans, I would say 20% are genuine geeks. I say this from >observing them at many TMBG shows. Most of us though are "normal" on >the >cool scale. and then Nathan replied: >I'm about as far from "normal" as you can get, but I'm not sure I'd be >considered a geek. Well, I guess I'm an intellectual, which is enough to >make some people place me in the "geek" category. I also spend a lot of >time on the computer, but I don't really do technical stuff with it, since >I'm not mechancially inclined. I think this all depends on an individual's definition of "geek." For example, amongst my friends and I, I am the geek, in that I'm pretty smart, I listen to bands that no one's heard of, I dress a little different, etc. But I'm not particularly technologically inclined, and I'm bad at math, and I don't bite heads off of chickens, but I'm still generally considered a geek. So perhaps it just depends on what you think makes a geek. ever-sincere, eriKa, I (heart) Eagle/DNA! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990919184913.13575.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Whatever happened to Dial-A-Song? Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:49:12 PDT First of all, does anyone know if the machine has been fixed yet? I'd like to try calling sometime, but I don't want to just hear a phone ringing. Also, are They ever planning on updating the songs? I'm talking about both the phone service (which I haven't ever called, but which I've been told has just been playing old stuff) and dialasong.com (which includes only ten songs, half of which have been released on albums by now). Does anyone here know what DAS was like in its earlier days? About how many songs could you hear? I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than ten at a time. Shouldn't They have put some demos from the upcoming album on there by now? Or maybe some State Songs demos? With all of the new TMBG material coming out, it seems surprising that the most recent thing you can hear through dialasong.com is "The Smoking Gun," and you can't even hear anything that recent over the phone (unless They've updated it recently). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990919185855.56016.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Whatever happened to Dial-A-Song? Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:58:55 PDT I wrote: >I'm talking about both >the phone service (which I haven't ever called, but which I've been told >has >just been playing old stuff) and dialasong.com (which includes only ten >songs, half of which have been released on albums by now). Before someone jumps on me for this, I'll correct myself, and say that the word "albums" isn't really accurate. "She Was A Hotel Detective" and "Unforgotten" are not on albums. They are, however, on official studio releases, and the official studio forms are exactly the same as the DAS ones. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:49:00 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37E55A4C.C9D2D0A1@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Geeks (was New Technology) Hm. I can't deside if i'm a geek or not. The only stereotypical thing about me that makes me a geek is that I'm in band. Not A band, i'm in band. marching band, and i love it. but i also play the sax and that's a pretty coll instrument. and i play guitar, which is cool. i dress pretty normal, i'm an average student, i'm now a techie, but i know how to use computers well enough. i guess i'm really super normal. hm, thats not always a good thing though. hm. -A Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > Bongo said: > >As for their fans, I would say 20% are genuine geeks. I say this from > >observing them at many TMBG shows. Most of us though are "normal" on > >the > >cool scale. > > and then Nathan replied: > >I'm about as far from "normal" as you can get, but I'm not sure I'd be > >considered a geek. Well, I guess I'm an intellectual, which is enough > to > >make some people place me in the "geek" category. I also spend a lot of > > >time on the computer, but I don't really do technical stuff with it, > since > >I'm not mechancially inclined. > > I think this all depends on an individual's definition of "geek." For > example, amongst my friends and I, I am the geek, in that I'm pretty > smart, I listen to bands that no one's heard of, I dress a little > different, etc. But I'm not particularly technologically inclined, and > I'm bad at math, and I don't bite heads off of chickens, but I'm still > generally considered a geek. So perhaps it just depends on what you think > makes a geek. > > ever-sincere, > eriKa, > I (heart) Eagle/DNA! > > "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be > cool." - Ben Folds > "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock > smock!" - Hobbes > > hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com > > ___________________________________________________________________ > Get the Internet just the way you want it. > Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! > Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <8e107d35.2516c28d@aol.com> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:49:49 EDT Subject: TMBG: Brave New World Can anyone out there tell me the songs tmbg played on Brave New World (in order, if you remember). Thanks. Oh, and if anyone has mp3's of any of them on a web page, could you send me a link or something. thanks for any help you can give. jon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990919225940.96045.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brave New World Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:59:40 PDT MrBean43 wrote: >Can anyone out there tell me the songs tmbg played on Brave New World >(in >order, if you remember). Older, Dan Vs. Cog, King Weed, the ballad of the cold germ that went to the Moon, and Cut The Strings -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Coolfro38@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 19:00:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Geeks (was New Technology) I suppose that I'm a geek. I dress pretty oddly. I'm rather intellectual (although sometimes I don't seem that way). In other ways, however, I play a lot of sports, even though one of them is Cross-Country. Anyway, I'd say that I'm pretty geeky. I'm certainly not normal, in any event. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 19:38:33 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7s3uqa$2cd8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Brave New World wrote ... > Oh, and if anyone has mp3's of any of them > on a web page, could you send me a link or something. http://www.twistid.com/tmbg This site has at least three of the songs in mp3 format, and more as soon as someone uploads them. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 19:35:14 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7s3ujs$2cbm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Madison show 10/10/99 details From the ad: At Headliners, inside of Bullwinkle's 624 University Ave. 257-0666 They Might Be Giants w/ You Were Spiraling All Ages Show Sunday, Oct. 10 7:30pm $15 advance (+$3 surcharge at door if under 21) on sale at Exclusive Co. (State St. & High Pl.), Star Liquor, Java Bay, or charge at 663-2095 -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37E59697.9A2AB914@fruhead.com> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:06:15 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: (none) Adrienne Spruill wrote: > > P.S. 1) This a changing world, get with the times and learn how to use a > computer to download Mps's > 2) If you're not a "techie" then stop using e-mail because that > seems to be a pretty "techie" thing. That is not the complaint. Not everyone has the money to buy a hugely fast modem or a DSL or ISDN line, and it's kind of painful to download large mp3s over a 14.4 or even a 28.8. In fact, a lot of ISPs don't allow such large downloads all at once, or they charge for time. So mp3s do, in fact, discriminate, and it has nothing to do with your elitist techie attitude. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990919223502.00977100@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:37:55 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: You were spiraling You know, You Were Spiraling was pretty good, but they did a great rendition of Take On Me at the concert. I was wondering if anyone had some YWS mp3s or whatever, especially that song? Live version would be fine... Love, the hanged man ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37E463F4.511D7629@stratos.net> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:17:56 -0400 From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: (none) Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > That is not the complaint. Not everyone has the money to buy a hugely fast > modem or a DSL or ISDN line, and it's kind of painful to download large mp3s > over a 14.4 or even a 28.8. In fact, a lot of ISPs don't allow such large > downloads all at once, or they charge for time. So mp3s do, in fact, > discriminate, and it has nothing to do with your elitist techie attitude. I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about here, because you can get a 56k modem for $10 ($16 for Mac) plus shipping and handling, making your connection fast enough for most people, and you can get a free 56k connection from Altavista, bringing your total price to... about $20. :) RS ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-20 ******************************