Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 21 Tuesday, 21 September 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-20 TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans Re: TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans TMBG: Re: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-20 Re: TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans Re: TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans TMBG: Re: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans TMBG: Dallas Show... WOW TMBG: the "geek" thing TMBG: GAH! Re: TMBG: the "geek" thing Re: TMBG: Dallas Show... WOW Re: TMBG: Dallas Show... WOW TMBG: Re: the "geek" thing Re: TMBG: the "geek" thing Re: TMBG: GAH! TMBG: Re: Dallas Show... WOW Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <4b2feb40.25172b8c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 02:17:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-20 In a message dated 09/19/1999 11:08:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime, I'm virtually certain, is a TMBG original. >> to be completely honest with ya, it seems to be more of a take off of another Novelty song entitled "We yust go nuts at christmas" which is supposed to be sung from the standpoint of a Scandinavian in America...but that's just my opinion void of most validity. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:07:40 -0500 From: "John David Crafton" Message-ID: <7s5bov$2vrl$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BF033F.355EEE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Do to the great (nonexistant) response I got from an earlier post (which = was asking if anyone was going) I will now choose to be an asshole (like = anyone cares) and with hold my setlist and/or review of said show. = Thank you and have a nice day! note: this includes submitting it to tmbg.net. Yeah, I'm a jerk, but = what can you do? --John David Crafton That is all. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BF033F.355EEE20 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Do to the great (nonexistant) response I got from an = earlier=20 post (which was asking if anyone was going) I will now choose to be an = asshole=20 (like anyone cares) and with hold my setlist and/or review of said = show. =20 Thank you and have a nice day!

note: this includes submitting it to tmbg.net. = Yeah, I'm a=20 jerk, but what can you do?

--John David Crafton
That is all.
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BF033F.355EEE20-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001101bf036b$f7107c60$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Re: TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 07:28:02 -0600 Gee, I guess you showed us, huh? (Noted Blatant Dripping Gooey Sarcasm) Calm down. Just about every post I put up here is ignored. Granted, that's 'cause people here know it's best to ignore me sometimes, but still...calm down. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ----- Original Message ----- From: John David Crafton To: Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 7:07 AM Subject: TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans > This is a multi-part message in MIME format. > > ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BF033F.355EEE20 > Content-Type: text/plain; > charset="iso-8859-1" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable > > Do to the great (nonexistant) response I got from an earlier post (which = > was asking if anyone was going) I will now choose to be an asshole (like = > anyone cares) and with hold my setlist and/or review of said show. = > Thank you and have a nice day! > > note: this includes submitting it to tmbg.net. Yeah, I'm a jerk, but = > what can you do? > > --John David Crafton > That is all. > > ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BF033F.355EEE20 > Content-Type: text/html; > charset="iso-8859-1" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable > > > > http-equiv=3DContent-Type> > > > > >
Do to the great (nonexistant) response I got from an = > earlier=20 > post (which was asking if anyone was going) I will now choose to be an = > asshole=20 > (like anyone cares) and with hold my setlist and/or review of said = > show. =20 > Thank you and have a nice day!
>

note: this includes submitting it to tmbg.net. = > Yeah, I'm a=20 > jerk, but what can you do?
>

>
--John David Crafton size=3D2>
>
That is all.
> > ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BF033F.355EEE20-- > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:54:45 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7s5df0$30r8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans John David Crafton ... > Do to the great (nonexistant) response I got from an > earlier post (which was asking if anyone was going) > I will now choose to be an asshole (like anyone cares) > and with hold my setlist and/or review of said show. > Thank you and have a nice day! > > note: this includes submitting it to tmbg.net. > Yeah, I'm a jerk, but what can you do? Well, maybe nobody here went to it. Did you expect about one hundred 'no I'm not going' messages? I know it's weird to think you could be the only person in this forum to have gone, but it's still possible. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990920145914.53069.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-20 Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 07:59:13 PDT KingoPuns wrote: ><< We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime, I'm virtually certain, is a TMBG > original. >> >to be completely honest with ya, it seems to be more of a take off of >another >Novelty song entitled "We yust go nuts at christmas" which is supposed to >be >sung from the standpoint of a Scandinavian in America...but that's >just my >opinion void of most validity. The title might well have come from there, but that doesn't mean that it's a "take off." Note "Welcome To The Jungle" and "Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love," both of which share titles with completely different songs. I think I've heard (or maybe just seen the lyrics to) a song in which "divorce" and "hell" were spelled out, in much the same way as in "We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime." I guess TMBG could have used this idea in a different song. As for "The Writing's On The Wall," a quick web search revealed several songs with that title, but none of them seemed to be the same as the TMBG song. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990920150106.61700.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:01:05 PDT John David Crafton wrote: Must not have been a very interesting show. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:40:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans In a message dated 9/20/99 9:16:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, naMytinifnI@yahoo.com writes: << Do to the great (nonexistant) response I got from an earlier post (which = was asking if anyone was going) I will now choose to be an asshole (like = anyone cares) and with hold my setlist and/or review of said show. = Thank you and have a nice day! note: this includes submitting it to tmbg.net. Yeah, I'm a jerk, but = what can you do? --John David Crafton That is all. >> Dear John, Suppose, just suppose that no one who went to that show actually saw your post? Even those fans who went to that show (and who have computer) might not be on this list, or read the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup. I, for one, would love to see your setlist, and hear a review of the show. I hope you had a good time at the show :-) Karen "I live in New Jersey, but am interested in how all their shows go" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: 20 Sep 99 17:06:45 GMT From: norrisdt@rintintin.colorado.edu (Doug Norris) Message-ID: Organization: University of Colorado at Boulder Subject: TMBG: Re: setlist and/or review 9/16/99 New Orleans "John David Crafton" writes: >Do to the great (nonexistant) response I got from an earlier post (which = >was asking if anyone was going) I will now choose to be an asshole (like = >anyone cares) and with hold my setlist and/or review of said show. = >Thank you and have a nice day! Maybe you can be an asshole and post your post in MIME/HTML format - oh, right, you already did - nice work. Doug ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990920212505.34998.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Justin Smith" Subject: TMBG: Dallas Show... WOW Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:25:03 PDT Okay, here is my review and setlist for the 19 Sept 1999 Dallas TMBG show. Actually it is more of a narrative than a review, but I've never written one of these before so get over it. :) THE ARRIVAL The Dallas show was in a club type place called The Gypsy Tea Room in a part of town known as Deep Ellum. I had never been to Deep Ellum before and, because I gave my self extra time not to get lost, got there about 60 to 90 minutes before the doors opened. I was rather stressed out after the drive (my nice friend gave me directions right through the ghetto to get there) but luckily managed to find the club with no problem. There was a small bunch of people by the front door (Elm St. side) talking about TMBG and stuff, so I just sort of stood there and listened in. They seemed like a nice bunch. Anyway, it had been about 30 minutes when these four guys in white shirts came up and asked us where Deep Sushi is. I don't know if I was just overwhelmed or what, but it took me a few seconds to realize that I was mere FEET away from MR. JOHN FLANSBURG! Apparently the suprisingly short Mr. Flansy was craving some pre-show sushi so he headed back down the street with his entourage. It was all very overwhelming for this TMBG concert virgin, so unfortunately my lungs were too busy grasping for air to shout "I LOVE YOU JOHN!" Probably for the best actually. But anyway, some more time passes (I lost track by this point) and I heard some people saying "You rocked in Austin!" so I looked up and walking by was Graham Maby and Dan Hickey, and a few steps behind them was MR. JOHN LINNELL! After the first Near-John experience I luckily wasn't about to pass out this time. Anyway, the line got longer and longer and finally the doors opened and, after getting a big black "X" on both of my hands to indicate, "Give this man no alcohol!", everyone shuffled inside. GETTING A SPOT Luckily since I got there insanely early, I ended up about 5 feet from the stage, with excellent view of everything. There was a big speaker aiming our way too, I should have brought a pocket tape recorder with me for the perfect bootleg! Oh well. If someone else did have the foresight to bootleg this, e-mail me and I will pay you dearly for it. :) YOU WERE SPIRALING I was very excited about hearing YWS (the opening band), because I have been completely in love with their Hello CD for some years now. They did not let down! Their performance was amazing, and they have an awesome stage presence. Tom does some *amazing* things with the keyboards and has a very interesting voice. They did a few covers, a few songs from their Hello disc (much much better live), and a few things I had never heard before. One interesting part was when Doherty used a Game Boy to play his guitar. I'm not sure exactly what effect he was going for, but it turned out unique. To quote someone in the audience, YWS's lead singer Tom Brislin looks like "John Linnell with better hair", or something like that. Anyways, here is what they played: Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow I'll Be Right Along Excellent Body You Belong to the (???) (I can't read my notes) This is the...? (I'm not sure about this one either) (But I can assure you, these both rocked. Unfortuneately I was too busy having a good time to write very legibaly.) Just a Place Crisis at 92 Credits Squirm Your New Boy Take On Me THEY MIGHT BE... (GASP!)... GIANTS! After what seemed like an eternity following YWS, THEY finally took the stage. I really don't know how to explain it, other than it was completely beyond my wildest expectations. There were a few times when they stopped to talk because Flansy broke his guitar strings during We're The Replacements and Cyclops Rock. John Linnell also got distracted by an audience member holding up a piece of paper and had to stop during It's So Loud In Here ("A song that has never been released and we never perform... in fact, we never even practice it! But since you don't know that, you'll think it is supposed to sound this way.") A few other interesting notes, Linnell did all of the vocals on Older (even the "TIME!") because Flansy was fixing his strings or something. There was so much fantastic about it that I could type for hours but I'll shut up now and get to what they played: Drinkin' (while J&J were taking the stage) Spider (a suprising first song) James K. Polk (confetti cannon!) She Thinks She's Edith Head Mr. Klaw The Guitar Ana Ng Your Racist Friend Replacements (during which Flansy lost 3 strings "Stay right here while we take a quick break... of a guitar string") Letterbox Cyclops Rock (more broken strings) Older ("Science is bad. It's not just for weaklings anymore") Spy (turned into Flansy directing and singing "Sorry I fucked up the show") Mister Tambourine Man insturmental (while J&J were getting the puppets) Counterfit Faker (sung by the puppets) It's So Loud In Here (Linnell had to stop, Flans pointed at the audience member with the paper and accused her of also fucking up the show) Finished With Lies Don't Lets Start Glockenspiel song Shoehorn With Teeth She's An Angel Twisting Birdhouse In Your Soul Why Does The Sun Shine? New York City ENCORE ONE Particle Man The Famous Polka Dr. Worm ENCORE TWO (this time instead of We Want More! the audience was shouting Is tan bul!) Maybe I Know Istanbul So there you have it. A fantastic show to be sure. All four of the YWS guys were hanging around at the shirt stand afterwards and were very friendly to talk to. (They even signed my CD!) All things considered, I don't think I could have imagined a better TMBG concert. (but then again, I'm sure that is what everyone says about their first one!) -justin w. smith efnet#tmbg/thatdog ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990920232447.9256.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: the "geek" thing Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:24:46 PDT you know, i would have to say i'm a geek. i like computers and i am more of a scholar than a sportsperson (but i hate math and i don't carry a calculator around in my pocket or whatever geeks are supposed to do). but i'd rather be a geek than anything else. and i have to add that i can't imagine too many tmbg fans who aren't at least slightly geeky. because there are not many non-geeks who can listen to songs like 'mammal' and 'james k. polk' and say "these are good songs". Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ you in the back there, won't you stand up? tell the rest of the world what you're laughing at -- ben folds, "clueless" e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org My webpage, featuring Ben Folds Five and They Might Be Giants: http://fly.to/drpyser ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:52:10 -0400 Subject: TMBG: GAH! Message-ID: <19990920.195212.3030.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" NO MORE SINGING GAP COMMERCIALS! ever-sincere, eriKa, that's all I have to say! -- this is really me! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990921001258.26178.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: the "geek" thing Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:12:58 PDT Crystal Cooper wrote: >and i have to add that i can't imagine too many tmbg fans who aren't at >least slightly geeky. because there are not many non-geeks who can listen >to >songs like 'mammal' and 'james k. polk' and say "these are good songs". So only geeks like songs that give actual information? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37E6D37A.3F2DFCD6@airmail.net> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:38:18 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Dallas Show... WOW Justin Smith wrote: > > Okay, here is my review and setlist for the 19 Sept 1999 Dallas TMBG show. > Actually it is more of a narrative than a review, but I've never written one > of these before so get over it. :) No! You must be grammatically correct and coherent, dammit! Only kidding. ;) > bunch of people by the front door (Elm St. side) talking about TMBG and > stuff, so I just sort of stood there and listened in. They seemed like a > nice bunch. TMBG fans are a pretty cool bunch. Even my non-TMBG-fan date was impressed. Just for clarification, you were the tall guy in the Cake shirt, right? I was the dark-haired girl in the blue dress. > Anyway, it had been about 30 minutes when these four guys in > white shirts came up and asked us where Deep Sushi is. I don't know if I > was just overwhelmed or what, but it took me a few seconds to realize that I > was mere FEET away from MR. JOHN FLANSBURG! Apparently the suprisingly > short Mr. Flansy was craving some pre-show sushi so he headed back down the > street with his entourage. It was all very overwhelming for this TMBG > concert virgin, so unfortunately my lungs were too busy grasping for air to > shout "I LOVE YOU JOHN!" Probably for the best actually. I thought I was going to have to catch you! But I was just as giddy when I got Flansy's autograph last year, so I'm certainly in no position to criticize. :) > But anyway, some > more time passes (I lost track by this point) and I heard some people saying > "You rocked in Austin!" so I looked up and walking by was Graham Maby and > Dan Hickey, and a few steps behind them was MR. JOHN LINNELL! After the > first Near-John experience I luckily wasn't about to pass out this time. Yeah! He even said, "Hi, guys!" Downright extroverted for the likes of him. > YOU WERE SPIRALING Can I get an "amen"? I was *very* pleasantly surprised by their set, enough to buy their stuff afterward! > quote someone in the audience, YWS's lead singer Tom Brislin looks like > "John Linnell with better hair", or something like that. Anyways, here is Actually, I said "darker hair," for the record. ;) Come to think of it, Linnell's hair was quite disheveled, but I'm used to that. It's part of his charm. At any rate, Tom Brislin does bear a resemblance to Linnell and is therefore hereby dubbed "hot." :) > THEY MIGHT BE... (GASP!)... GIANTS! > Drinkin' (while J&J were taking the stage) > Spider (a suprising first song) That it was, but they pulled it off. > James K. Polk (confetti cannon!) Ah, yes. I'm *still* picking the confetti out of my wallet. > She Thinks She's Edith Head > Mr. Klaw > The Guitar > Ana Ng *sigh* I love this song. And I'd never seen them play it before, so I was a *very* happy camper. > Your Racist Friend > Replacements (during which Flansy lost 3 strings "Stay right here while we > take a quick break... of a guitar string") > Letterbox > Cyclops Rock (more broken strings) > Older ("Science is bad. It's not just for weaklings anymore") > Spy (turned into Flansy directing and singing "Sorry I fucked up the show") > Mister Tambourine Man > insturmental (while J&J were getting the puppets) > Counterfit Faker (sung by the puppets) > It's So Loud In Here (Linnell had to stop, Flans pointed at the audience > member with the paper and accused her of also fucking up the show) > Finished With Lies > Don't Lets Start > Glockenspiel song > Shoehorn With Teeth > She's An Angel Another highlight. Did I mention John Linnell is adorable? ;) > Twisting > Birdhouse In Your Soul > Why Does The Sun Shine? > New York City > > ENCORE ONE > Particle Man > The Famous Polka > Dr. Worm > > ENCORE TWO (this time instead of We Want More! the audience was shouting Is > tan bul!) Demanding little suckers we are. ;) I was a little nervous about taking the person I took to the concert, since he isn't really a fan, but it turned out really well. You Were Spiraling didn't do much for him, but he liked TMBG enough. He was particularly impressed by Flansy's showmanship and Linnell's keyboard prowess. So the night was a success. :) Gearing up for Elvis Costello next month, Danielle -- Even eyes never mean that you're sure to see. --XTC ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37E6D53B.4EDCE116@bigfoot.com> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:45:47 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Dallas Show... WOW And just when I was about to post a review/set list... ah well. I'll just add a bit: When introducing Cyclops Rock, Flans said "This is one you don't know, it's never been released anywhere, so--" and some guy in the middle of the crowd yelled "Cyclops ROCK!" which seemed to confuse Flans terribly... later, when intro-ing It's So Loud In Here, Linnell said "Here's another one you don't know, or maybe you do. I don't know WHAT'S goin' on here...maybe we don't even need to write the songs in the first place, and you'll just know them all anyway." Or something to that effect. During Mr. Tambourine Man, Flans sang: "My mind's too numb to walk My boots too big to step And my car's all fucked up." That amused me. Linnell threw in verses of "More Than A Feeling" in both Particle Man AND Dr. Worm. Freaky weird! I struck a blow for anti-pass-the-duders everywhere... some punk kid was trying to get up and crowdsurf, but didn't have enough friends, so the fool tried to latch on to my shoulder for a lift during Birdhouse. Instead, I latched on to his shoulder and pulled downwards. Not to make his whack his head, just enough to make sure he didn't fall on mine. Anyway, I figured I had a bit of a karmic "Get out of jail free" card, since some chick had purposefully shaken a full cup of beer on me and a couple other people seconds before. Cool show...pretty much the perfect setlist, I gotta say. This was my third full TMBG show, and every time I was hoping for She's An Angel. Finally got it! Anyway, I didn't meet any listers, but apparently there were some there. It was a totally packed place, so it makes sense... anyone else go to the show? I was the nondescript one in the plain shirt with normal brown hair that didn't have any memorable conversations or comments. Maybe you saw me. Destin Justin Smith wrote: > Okay, here is my review and setlist for the 19 Sept 1999 Dallas TMBG show. > Actually it is more of a narrative than a review, but I've never written one > of these before so get over it. :) > > THE ARRIVAL > The Dallas show was in a club type place called The Gypsy Tea Room in a part > of town known as Deep Ellum. I had never been to Deep Ellum before and, > because I gave my self extra time not to get lost, got there about 60 to 90 > minutes before the doors opened. I was rather stressed out after the drive > (my nice friend gave me directions right through the ghetto to get there) > but luckily managed to find the club with no problem. There was a small > bunch of people by the front door (Elm St. side) talking about TMBG and > stuff, so I just sort of stood there and listened in. They seemed like a > nice bunch. Anyway, it had been about 30 minutes when these four guys in > white shirts came up and asked us where Deep Sushi is. I don't know if I > was just overwhelmed or what, but it took me a few seconds to realize that I > was mere FEET away from MR. JOHN FLANSBURG! Apparently the suprisingly > short Mr. Flansy was craving some pre-show sushi so he headed back down the > street with his entourage. It was all very overwhelming for this TMBG > concert virgin, so unfortunately my lungs were too busy grasping for air to > shout "I LOVE YOU JOHN!" Probably for the best actually. But anyway, some > more time passes (I lost track by this point) and I heard some people saying > "You rocked in Austin!" so I looked up and walking by was Graham Maby and > Dan Hickey, and a few steps behind them was MR. JOHN LINNELL! After the > first Near-John experience I luckily wasn't about to pass out this time. > Anyway, the line got longer and longer and finally the doors opened and, > after getting a big black "X" on both of my hands to indicate, "Give this > man no alcohol!", everyone shuffled inside. > > GETTING A SPOT > Luckily since I got there insanely early, I ended up about 5 feet from the > stage, with excellent view of everything. There was a big speaker aiming > our way too, I should have brought a pocket tape recorder with me for the > perfect bootleg! Oh well. If someone else did have the foresight to > bootleg this, e-mail me and I will pay you dearly for it. :) > > YOU WERE SPIRALING > I was very excited about hearing YWS (the opening band), because I have been > completely in love with their Hello CD for some years now. They did not let > down! Their performance was amazing, and they have an awesome stage > presence. Tom does some *amazing* things with the keyboards and has a very > interesting voice. They did a few covers, a few songs from their Hello disc > (much much better live), and a few things I had never heard before. One > interesting part was when Doherty used a Game Boy to play his guitar. I'm > not sure exactly what effect he was going for, but it turned out unique. To > quote someone in the audience, YWS's lead singer Tom Brislin looks like > "John Linnell with better hair", or something like that. Anyways, here is > what they played: > Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow > I'll Be Right Along > Excellent Body > You Belong to the (???) (I can't read my notes) > This is the...? (I'm not sure about this one either) > (But I can assure you, these both rocked. Unfortuneately I was too busy > having a good time to write very legibaly.) > Just a Place > Crisis at 92 Credits > Squirm > Your New Boy > Take On Me > > THEY MIGHT BE... (GASP!)... GIANTS! > After what seemed like an eternity following YWS, THEY finally took the > stage. I really don't know how to explain it, other than it was completely > beyond my wildest expectations. There were a few times when they stopped to > talk because Flansy broke his guitar strings during We're The Replacements > and Cyclops Rock. John Linnell also got distracted by an audience member > holding up a piece of paper and had to stop during It's So Loud In Here ("A > song that has never been released and we never perform... in fact, we never > even practice it! But since you don't know that, you'll think it is > supposed to sound this way.") A few other interesting notes, Linnell did > all of the vocals on Older (even the "TIME!") because Flansy was fixing his > strings or something. There was so much fantastic about it that I could > type for hours but I'll shut up now and get to what they played: > > Drinkin' (while J&J were taking the stage) > Spider (a suprising first song) > James K. Polk (confetti cannon!) > She Thinks She's Edith Head > Mr. Klaw > The Guitar > Ana Ng > Your Racist Friend > Replacements (during which Flansy lost 3 strings "Stay right here while we > take a quick break... of a guitar string") > Letterbox > Cyclops Rock (more broken strings) > Older ("Science is bad. It's not just for weaklings anymore") > Spy (turned into Flansy directing and singing "Sorry I fucked up the show") > Mister Tambourine Man > insturmental (while J&J were getting the puppets) > Counterfit Faker (sung by the puppets) > It's So Loud In Here (Linnell had to stop, Flans pointed at the audience > member with the paper and accused her of also fucking up the show) > Finished With Lies > Don't Lets Start > Glockenspiel song > Shoehorn With Teeth > She's An Angel > Twisting > Birdhouse In Your Soul > Why Does The Sun Shine? > New York City > > ENCORE ONE > Particle Man > The Famous Polka > Dr. Worm > > ENCORE TWO (this time instead of We Want More! the audience was shouting Is > tan bul!) > Maybe I Know > Istanbul > > So there you have it. A fantastic show to be sure. All four of the YWS > guys were hanging around at the shirt stand afterwards and were very > friendly to talk to. (They even signed my CD!) All things considered, I > don't think I could have imagined a better TMBG concert. (but then again, > I'm sure that is what everyone says about their first one!) > > -justin w. smith > efnet#tmbg/thatdog > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:39:15 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37E6E1C3.D42A3E09@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: the "geek" thing I went to High School with a guy that is probably one of the biggest TMBG fans in the world and he was the furthest thing from a geek. Played sports, very well liked, good grades. The only "geek" thing he had going for him was that he was a tuba player in band. Actually, he sat right next to me. Funny guy. I wonder what he's up to these days? Hm. -A Crystal Cooper wrote: > > you know, i would have to say i'm a geek. i like computers and i am more of > a scholar than a sportsperson (but i hate math and i don't carry a > calculator around in my pocket or whatever geeks are supposed to do). but > i'd rather be a geek than anything else. > and i have to add that i can't imagine too many tmbg fans who aren't at > least slightly geeky. because there are not many non-geeks who can listen to > songs like 'mammal' and 'james k. polk' and say "these are good songs". > > Crystal > > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ > you in the back there, won't you stand up? > tell the rest of the world what you're laughing at > -- ben folds, "clueless" > > e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org > > My webpage, featuring Ben Folds Five and They Might Be Giants: > http://fly.to/drpyser > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:22:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: the "geek" thing In a message dated 9/20/99 8:14:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > So only geeks like songs that give actual information? > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > Yes :) Lydia Being insolently and annoyingly sunny since 1837! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:22:00 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: GAH! Message-ID: <19990920.212626.9390.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" So, I meant to send that to the Offtopic List, so, my apologies to anyone whose head might have blown up (or fallen off) because of that. ^_^ ever-sincere, eriKa, I need to separate my offtopic and ontopic addys more clearly! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:45:53 -0500 From: "John David Crafton" Message-ID: <7s768g$121p$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Dallas Show... WOW > ENCORE TWO (this time instead of We Want More! the audience was shouting Is > tan bul!) no way, we did that at the New Orleans show too! that is all. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-21 ******************************