Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 30 Thursday, 30 September 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-29 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-29 TMBG: 2 disc John Henry TMBG: chicago show TMBG: State Songs?? TMBG: Re: State Songs?? TMBG: They in L.A: Day Two Re: TMBG: chicago show Re: TMBG: They in L.A: Day Two NON-TMBG: Bis Re: TMBG: chicago show Non-TMBG: Bis TMBG: Re: They in L.A: Day Two TMBG: Re: Hitting the stage (originally "hello?") TMBG: congrats Re: TMBG: chicago show Re: TMBG: chicago show Re: TMBG: Re: They in L.A: Day Two TMBG: show dates Re: TMBG: chicago show TMBG: Various Boots Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <98ba201d.25230a8a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:24:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-29 In a message dated 09/28/1999 11:08:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << Good grief, how about I correct myself? I wrote the above note in haste, before I had to go pick up my son, and ended up with "steaming video and audio" instead of "streaming" :-) >> I just thought you were talking about some good clean TMBG XXX Videos....and I was frightened....I merely thought "What if he finally met Ana Ng?!?!?!" ~Kingopuns "La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la Pennsylvania" ------------------------------ From: KingoPuns@aol.com Message-ID: <81b5369d.25230b11@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:26:25 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #21-29 In a message dated 09/28/1999 11:08:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << What about those people who killed themselves when the meteor came? Weren't they rock's most passionate cult? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan, Master of Terrible Puns >> I'm going to de-throne myself now... ~Ex-Kingopuns "The world's address...a sad pun that reflects a sadder mess." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:36:02 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: 2 disc John Henry Message-ID: On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > i'm at cd now.com and they're selling a 2 disc set of john henry. are the > extra songs mostly off of STD? how are twisting dont lets start and statue > got me high? I've long thought this question belongs in the FAQ. What they're selling is the Australian import of JH. It is not particularly rare (your local record store should be able to special order it), so don't buy it if it's >$30. The live tracks are taken from a several-year-old radio promo called Live in New York, and IMHO you're better off trading for a dub of LINY (hint: ask nicely, and I might do it:). > From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Holy moly! First Bluedawg (*wave*), now you? :) Have we been especially good recently or something? Nice to have you guys back! :) --nicole twn who will be at tomorrow's San Francisco show, wearing her alt.music.moxy-fruvous pins, so come up and say howdy. *** "The world of computer architecture is like a big, fluffy pillow." --former architecture professor Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <64677eb6.25230e7a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:40:58 EDT Subject: TMBG: chicago show i'll be at the chicago show. i'll be the one wearing clothes and shoes. i also have hair. see ya there ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <625305b7.2523112e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:52:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: State Songs?? OK another question (boy oh boy i'm full of em lately)... Anyone know the track listing for State songs? i was just curious. Also is there any different artwork on the double john henry cd? my copy of john henry broke a few days ago so i'm thinkin about getting this version. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:16:59 -0500 From: "John David Crafton" Message-ID: <7ssek7$ct$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs?? wrote in message news:625305b7.2523112e@aol.com... > OK another question (boy oh boy i'm full of em lately)... Anyone know the > track listing for State songs? i was just curious. Also is there any Illinois The Songs of the 50 States West Virginia South Carolina Idaho Montana Pennsylvania Utah Arkansas Iowa Mississippi Maine Oregon Michigan New Hampshire Nevada or just go to www.rounder.com and find it your own self! --John David Crafton That is all. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F1DD1F.4A3FA622@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:34:27 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: They in L.A: Day Two I just got back from the second TMBG show at the HOB. It was another great show. They did mostly the same songs (and in the same order) as they did at Monday's show but they were just as fun as on the first night. Too bad they couldn't have squeezed Letterbox and Spiraling Shape in there again. You Were Spiraling's keyboardist/vocalist, Tom Brislin was a lot more subdued compared to Monday's show when he was doing this non-stop DEVO-ish jerking back and forth. One of their songs had a little SPY like improv with keyboards trading weird sounds with the guitar. Anyway, they were very enjoyable. "Your New Boy" is really growing on me and it seemed to please the audience also (but not as much as their rendition of A-Ha's (sp?) 80's mega-hit "Take On Me". (Okay, so they aren't the only band covering "Take On Me" these days but theirs is as good as or better as the others.) I really don't have the time give the detail that this week's shows deserve but Monday night's show might have been the best I've seen and tonight's show was close. Everyone, seemed to be in a really good mood. Funny, for some reason I still can't get into "Edith Head" but "Cyclops"...well...rocks! Unfortunately some greasy looking drunken idiot with his skanky girlfriend kept yelling insulting (or just plain stupid) things while They were playing. At one point he was yelling, "Hey! Hey! I got a GIANT erection!" and everyone around him was ready to kick his ass. Flans finally got mad and said, "well I was about to tell all of you something really interesting, but that drunken heckler fucked it up so now I'm not going to say it". Everyone stared at the guy evilly. You'll be happy to know that I followed the guy out to the parking garage after the show and BEAT HIM BRUTALLY. (...just kidding!) Now an amusing (almost) non-TMBG related note about Tuesday's show. There was an EXTRA Dan at the show. About 45 minutes before You Were Spiraling went on, I noticed Dan Akroyd walking through the audience. Soon after a camera came up and he started talking about The House of Blues and its history. (I guess he's part owner or has some connection to the place.) I thought it was kind of funny because this list had proclaimed Akroyd the ideal choice to play Flansburgh in movie version of the Johns life story. Now that I've seen both Flans and Akroyd up close in the same evening, I must say that there is a definite similarity except Akroyd is WAY too old to play Flans. It was really difficult to hear what Akroyd was saying but hid did mention TMBG. As you might know Akroyd is a fan (and sometimes performer) of the Blues. He was saying something about blues acts at the HOB and said something like: "Now this band tonight, They Might Be Giants, they know nothing about the Blues. They're just..." and that's all I could make out but he had a disdainful look on his face when he mentioned them. You'll be happy to know that I followed Mr. Akroyd out to the parking garage after the show and BEAT HIM BRUTALLY. (...once again, just kidding!!!) And last but not least some GOOD NEWS for L.A. TMBG fans (if you haven't heard it already) John Linnell will be back in L.A. in November in a solo show at The Troubadour! (I've only been skimming the digest lately but this is the first I've ever heard of Linnell doing a solo act!) (Wow!) Phew! Sorry that got kind of long! This concludes my participation in this list for the next ten years. Goodnight. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:34:03 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: chicago show Message-ID: <19990929.083826.-860693.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > i'll be at the chicago show. i'll be the one wearing clothes and > shoes. i > also have hair. see ya there hey waitaminute... i think i've seen you before... are you the one with eyes and the nose? take it easy, JOrdaN ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990929084711.0095a8b0@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:48:17 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: They in L.A: Day Two He played solo (well, with a guy on tuba) opening for Edwin McCain, if memory serves, and played some State Songs a while ago. That was, IIRC, just a one time thing, but if this turns into a full-scale solo tour of some sort, I'll be a happy little boy. -Adam, who's going to see bis on Friday! At 02:34 AM 9/29/99 -0700, Bongo wrote: > And last but not least some GOOD NEWS for L.A. TMBG fans (if you > haven't heard it >already) John Linnell will be back in L.A. in November in a solo show at >The Troubadour! >(I've only been skimming the digest lately but this is the first I've ever >heard of >Linnell doing a solo act!) (Wow!) ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199909291300.JAA29159@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: NON-TMBG: Bis Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:00:02 -0400 (EDT) Gosh, I havne't seen Bis since they came out with The New Transistor Heroes back in 1997. How is the new stuff? I really liked the last album quite a lot! -Matt > > > =) I know the feeling. I just saw Bis on Friday night and John > > Disco's big > > feet were so close I could've grabbed his leg and held on until a > > bouncer > > beat me senseless. > > Jsut thought i'd say that i saw bis last night and it was totally rockin! > you should totally check the band out if you haven't already! and to make > this TMBG related - the kid taking the tickets at the bowery ballroom > looked exactly like john linnell - only younger - adn he was much nicer. > ok i'm out. bye > > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > ________________________________________________________________ > Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use -- > Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web! > Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh. > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990929130522.60388.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: chicago show Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 06:05:22 PDT Gegatron wrote: >i'll be at the chicago show. i'll be the one wearing clothes and >shoes. >i also have hair. You'll really stand out, then, since that venue usually caters to bald and naked people. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37F1DADF.69C706DA@bu.edu> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:24:47 +0000 From: Casey Schreiner Organization: Boston University Subject: Non-TMBG: Bis <<=) I know the feeling. I just saw Bis on Friday night and John Disco's big feet were so close I could've grabbed his leg and held on until a bouncer beat me senseless. I didn't though because yes, it's a creepy and disturbing thing.>> <> Nice to find out there are other TMBG and Bis fans out there somewhere! I just saw them last week at the Middle East Club in Cambridge, and they rocked the house down! I got to the concert an hour early, which made me the very first person in line. Not only did I thus get a position at the foot of the stage, but I also got to meet Manda at the merchandise stand before she went backstage. Very, very cool. Anyhoo, all you TMBG fans who also like slightly louder music (Bis has a drum machine, too!) should check out Bis (the Social Dancing CD is totally rockin'). That is all.... must go back to writing my Communications paper now.... -CAsey ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:14:47 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <7st6ik$a0a$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: They in L.A: Day Two Bongo wrote in message <37F1DD1F.4A3FA622@pacificnet.net>... >And last but not least some GOOD NEWS for L.A. TMBG fans (if you haven't heard it >already) John Linnell will be back in L.A. in November in a solo show at The >Troubadour! >(I've only been skimming the digest lately but this is the first I've ever heard of >Linnell doing a solo act!) (Wow!) Not that I don't believe you, but just interested to know: Where exactly did you hear this? Did they actually announce it during the show? Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:04:30 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Re: Hitting the stage (originally "hello?") > Are you not able to see them on their current tour? No. Any chance of that has gone. They played Monday and they played Tuesday. Today is Wednesday. Besides, the House of Blues is 21+. They make all their goddamn money on those drinks anyway. And it would have been my first ime seeing them. *can't find something to throw* *cries* Spencer. ------------------------------ From: deuels@juno.com Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:10:35 -0400 Subject: TMBG: congrats Message-ID: <19990929.151205.-453059.7.deuels@juno.com> i would like to tell all of my friends that today is the happiest day i have had all year you see today i found out that my best friend in the world robert thomas sims and his fiance liz have had a little baby boy named rebert MICHAEL sims with brown hair and blue eyes with a weight or 8lbs 9oz oh yeh and the first song that little robbie heard was a copy of we've got a world that swings that i made for his daddy before i left for Miami by the best feaking band in this freakin world THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS i am truly happy thank you love mike woohoo im an uncle +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ some people spend there life trying to find a purpose or reason they are here. i don't i belive i am here to help other people feal good about themselves the only problem is that the more people i help around the world the more pain i cause myself both physical and mental. "it must be raining becuase a man ain't suppose to cry, but i look up and i dont see a cloud." TMBG ------------------------------ From: deuels@juno.com Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:07:21 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: chicago show Message-ID: <19990929.151205.-453059.5.deuels@juno.com> ONE quick question when is the show in chicago? thanks mike "it must be raining because a man ain't supposed to cry, but i look up and i don't see a cloud" TMBG On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 06:05:22 PDT "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" writes: >Gegatron wrote: >>i'll be at the chicago show. i'll be the one wearing clothes and >>shoes. >>i also have hair. > >You'll really stand out, then, since that venue usually caters to bald >and >naked people. >-- >Yours 'til my head falls off >Nathan >DinnerBell@tmbg.org >http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ up until a few weeks ago i believed ngfl or nice guys finish last. now i know we dont finish last it just takes a little longer cause we actually care about people. the reltionships i have built are more important to me than any one night stand would ever be. love william michael Deuel '99 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990929193846.12095.rocketmail@web306.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:38:46 -0700 (PDT) From: Christine Sinacore Subject: Re: TMBG: chicago show Saturday, October 9th The Riviera 7:00 pm Doors open at 5:30 pm --- deuels@juno.com wrote: > ONE quick question when is the show in chicago? > > > thanks > mike > > > "it must be raining because a man ain't supposed to > cry, but i look up > and i don't see a cloud" TMBG > > On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 06:05:22 PDT "Nathan Mulac > DeHoff" > writes: > >Gegatron wrote: > >>i'll be at the chicago show. i'll be the one > wearing clothes and > >>shoes. > >>i also have hair. > > > >You'll really stand out, then, since that venue > usually caters to bald > >and > >naked people. > >-- > >Yours 'til my head falls off > >Nathan > >DinnerBell@tmbg.org > >http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > > >______________________________________________________ > >Get Your Private, Free Email at > http://www.hotmail.com > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > up until a few weeks ago i believed ngfl or nice > guys finish last. now i > know we dont > finish last it just takes a little longer cause we > actually care about > people. the > reltionships i have built are more important to me > than any one night > stand > would ever be. love william michael Deuel '99 > __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: OCSabrina@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:55:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They in L.A: Day Two Linnell announced it at the show during the encore. yes it is true. i am a very happy camper sabrina who still has a stiff neck from looking up and sore legs from jumping up and down like a damn lunatic at the show ------------------------------ From: deuels@juno.com Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:55:34 -0400 Subject: TMBG: show dates Message-ID: <19990929.185648.-453059.18.deuels@juno.com> can some one send me a list of current tour dates please thank you >+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ >> up until a few weeks ago i believed ngfl or nice >> guys finish last. now i >> know we dont >> finish last it just takes a little longer cause we >> actually care about >> people. the >> reltionships i have built are more important to me >> than any one night >> stand >> would ever be. love william michael Deuel '99 >> > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ up until a few weeks ago i believed ngfl or nice guys finish last. now i know we dont finish last it just takes a little longer cause we actually care about people. the reltionships i have built are more important to me than any one night stand would ever be. love william michael Deuel '99 ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:16:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: chicago show In a message dated 9/29/99 2:44:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Gegatron@aol.com writes: > i'll be at the chicago show. i'll be the one wearing clothes and shoes. i > also have hair. see ya there > EEEEK! How INDECENT! No SKIN? You AWFUL terrible person!! there may be virgin eyes there! Lydia Being weird and odd and freakish since... well ya know. ------------------------------ From: TMBJon@aol.com Message-ID: <8fe175e3.25240c38@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:43:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: Various Boots I read on here a little bit ago that someone here would burn/dub me a CD/tape (respectively of course) of some of the fan made comps. So i was wondering if i paid for someone to get the CDR and i covered the postage, if you would make for me any of these... Live In NYC, Back To John, Insect Hospital, Any of the StumpBoxes, SuperFreak FuelSicle (and the sequel). I would really apreciate it. Please respond via email since its rather hard to read the digests now that im in highschool :) thank you, TMBJon! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-30 ******************************