Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 5 Sunday, 5 September 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Vegas show attendees Re: TMBG: oops. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Time for your meds, girls... Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: Hall (or House?) Of Mayors Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Time for your meds, girls... Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album RE: TMBG: Hall (or House?) Of Mayors Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Hall Of Mayors Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG: Hall (or House?) Of Mayors Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN Re: TMBG:The Next Album Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903173214.009579b0@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 17:38:16 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album No offense, but that's a ridiculous statement. Yeah, I was one of the people who couldn't wait for a widely released live album. The difference is --- I was waiting for a *good* live album, not the mediocre random disc-hash released last year. I didn't like Live!! NYC either. (Not exactly TMBG at their best, IMO.) However, I did really enjoy Dr. Spock's Backup Band and the Kit Kat Acoustic Break material. Why? Dr. Spock is a concert from beginning to end...not random tracks placed together with greatly different sounding production on each song. Although some of the songs on the Kit Kat Acoustic Break don't interest me that much (Your Own Worst Enemy, for instance), but the conversation between songs still cracks me up even after hearing it repeatedly. I still think TMBG could release a great live disc...Severe Tire Damage wasn't it, though. -Adam At 05:27 PM 9/3/99 -0400, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: >Severe Tire Damage: Before They made a live album, everyone would be >whining about "When are They gonna do a live album?" and when they >finally make one, everyone whines about how they hate it. MAKE UP YOUR >MIND. ------------------------------ From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: TMBG: Vegas show attendees Date: Fri, Sep 3 1999 17:38:45 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <21384576512530@thinner.com> Everyone going to the Vegas show that would like to arrange some sorta' listee meeting, please send your E-mail address to me personally, so that I can let you all in on the plan. Thanks! Love? What do you know of love?! Dexter M. Flansburgh * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002a01bef656$c30bbfa0$af9ea2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: oops. Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:53:18 -0700 ME TOO!!! -=eRiCh=- > regarding my uh, last post. > > > ahh... brave new world. i completely forgot. > > > stupid, stupid, stupid, > sarah > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903220246.60776.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:02:46 PDT Bob Scott wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > Jess Coolfro wrote: > > >Okay, I guess that I can kind of see where you're going with Severe > >Tire > > >Damage, but there was nothing wrong with Factory Showroom. > > What about the low number of songs, the fact that so much good stuff was > > left off > >But then everyone would be complaining that the album was too long... Well, not everyone. I don't really have anything against long albums. Besides, Factory Showroom wouldn't have been too long if some of its more tedious songs had been shortened or left off. >I remember >the last time this dark "I sure hate everything TMBG does" thread >came up, >and it's never pretty. I realise that you're exaggerating, but I'll still point out that someone who really does hate everything that TMBG does wouldn't care if They were going dowwnhill. The biggest fans are often the worst critics. >If TMBG is out of creativity, then what do you all consider >the "popular, top 40-ish" bands? Innovative? Well, no, but many of these people are comparing TMBG's more recent work to Their older work, not to other artists' work. >Well, I have 2 words for ya: CARELESS SANTA! Yeah, well I have three words for you: PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER! -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990903220722.2529.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:07:22 PDT eriKa wrote: >I don't understand why practically everyone here seems to be so ... >picky >about everything. It's because we don't receive enough love and affection. >Here's my views: Oh, shut up! Who wants to hear your views? You suck! -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan, who was going to respond to some of eriKa's specific comments, but decided not to, because he really didn't have much to say DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D0494E.C3EB14A0@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 18:18:54 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Severe Tire Damage: Before They made a live album, everyone would be > whining about "When are They gonna do a live album?" and when they > finally make one, everyone whines about how they hate it. MAKE UP YOUR > MIND. Personally, I very much enjoy STD (and, I also have Live Noise, and > see no point in comparing the two - I love them both), and STD was a very > valuable asset to me when I first got it. At the time I was still > becoming a fan, and STD has a wide range of their stuff, so when I got to > the record store I could say, "Well, I liked Ana Ng, so I'll get > Lincoln." Besides, you cannot really simulate going to a concert with > just an album, no matter what you do. We'd have liked it if they had put out a live album. They have yet to release one, though. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <1d33a219.2501c8b6@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 20:58:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > p.s. I think we should start abbrevating The Next Album: "TnA". ROFL! "STD," "T&A"... You kids today and your nasty, sick minds! You should all have your mouths washed out with soap!!! -Lydia Yelling at you foulmouthed hooligans since 1837! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <49c5e813.2501cb01@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:08:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > If the next album is as bad as Severe Tire Damage, they're likely to lose a > lot of fans. Wow. Talk about tough love. How is it that the cruelest critics are usually a band's best fans?? That never ceases to amaze me. I take everything they dish out with grace, love and amazing gratitude. In short, I just eat it up! Lydia People today.... Honestly! ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:16:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/99 9:10:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: > > If the next album is as bad as Severe Tire Damage, they're likely to lose a > > lot of fans. > > Wow. Talk about tough love. How is it that the cruelest critics are usually > a > band's best fans?? That never ceases to amaze me. I take everything they > dish > out with grace, love and amazing gratitude. In short, I just eat it up! I loved Severe Tire Damage! I liked the way They redid songs like The Sun, Particle Man, and She's an Angel -- especially She's An Angel! What about Doctor Worm and First kiss? Not to mention the Planet of the Apes songs! How can anyone be so, so, well, how can they be so, you know...? Rick (I know there's a filthy scraecrow behind me waving his broomstick arms, but when I turn around to look -- he's gone!) Jennings ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903211702.00950c80@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 21:17:32 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album I used to be that way...thinking TMBG could do no wrong, but I've gotten somewhat bitter about music over the past year. :-) -Adam At 09:08 PM 9/3/99 -0400, HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: >Wow. Talk about tough love. How is it that the cruelest critics are usually a >band's best fans?? That never ceases to amaze me. I take everything they dish >out with grace, love and amazing gratitude. In short, I just eat it up! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:27:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/99 3:06:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: > The recordings on STD are dry, uninteresting, and have no life to them. I > want a live album where I can actually feel like I'm therre, and actually > picture what's going on. And for that, I can listen to a bootleg, which I > can > get for about $3 total (1 blank tape, $1.01 shipping). > > And I'm not just judging STD, either. Factory Showroom was half awful, too. Who else thinks that? You people are awful! Terrible! Cruel! If you don't like it, don't complain about it! And finish all your liver, there are people starving in India! I happen, for one, to *love* Dr. Worm, and the live stuff to me is a special treat! Sure there's some stuff on some of the albums I don't like, but I'm graceful about it because I know, and learned the hard way, there are people out there who like what I do not! And Factory Showroom was.. wait, IS!... cool, dangit! Grrrr! I should report you to John and John and give them baseball bats! Or write a comic about it! Oooooh! BRB! That's a cool idea!! Heheh, you'll be sorry!! Lydia Grr! Arg!! SNARF! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903213047.00956550@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 21:32:14 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Well, this *is* a discussion list, and Lawrence did explain why he feels the way he does. I mean, it'd be one thing if he said "STD sucks, and anyone who likes it is a moron", but that's clearly not the case. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and one of the primary purposes of this list is to give people the opportunity to share their opinions with others... -Adam At 09:27 PM 9/3/99 -0400, HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: >Who else thinks that? You people are awful! Terrible! Cruel! If you don't >like it, don't complain about it! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990904014737.72094.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 18:47:37 PDT Rick Jennings wrote: >In a message dated 9/3/99 9:10:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: > > > > If the next album is as bad as Severe Tire Damage, they're likely to >lose >a > > > lot of fans. > > > > Wow. Talk about tough love. How is it that the cruelest critics are >usually > > a > > band's best fans?? People who aren't fans probably aren't going to bother finding enough out about something to criticize it. (I'm talking about constructive criticism here, not "TMBG sucks!" stuff.) Also, if you've come to expect stellar performances from a band, you're more likely to be disappointed if the band's work is less than stellar (even if it's still superb). >I loved Severe Tire Damage! I liked the way They redid songs like The >Sun, >Particle Man, and She's an Angel -- especially She's An Angel! I'm glad They released a fast version of "The Sun," but I've heard better ones. They really should have taped more shows for this album. The other two that your mention are two of the album's better tracks, although I don't see why They decided to remix the former; I've heard the Live!! NYC mix, and I think it sounded better. Many of the "redone" songs, however, either sounded very similar to, or worse than, their studio counterparts. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <511a9b2d.2501d5a9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:53:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album As long as everyone is busting on tmbg, I'll just make this statement. Every album rocks. Every song on every album is great. Every b-side, on every single is great. Every unreleased song I've ever heard by them, I've enjoyed. Sever Tire Damage is one of the best CD's i own. John Henry is even better. When I listen to a cd, I listen to every song....because they're all good. Alright, i know no one cares, but since every one else is talking about what they don't like, I thought i'd make sure you all know i've never heard a tmbg song i didn't like. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <98374743.2501d5c4@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:54:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > In general, though, the feeling of > _John Henry_ seems to be a bit more dark and depressing, although it's not > that easy to pinpoint why. Let me list some possible reasons! 1) Everything seems to be a bit "Lower" on this album somehow. Like, in a lower key, or quieter. 2) Subliminal. 3) A lot of the songs are slower and, as you said, darker. 4) O Do Not Forsake Me. 5) The album cover and art is, to me at least, while also neat and spiffy, still somewhat evil & unsettling. In short, those kids give me the CREEPS. And while it may not seem like it, that does actually "Subliminal"ly affect one's view of the album. I mean, what's one of the first identifying things one thinks of when one hears the name of an album? (Cool huh? :) ) 6) A Self Called Nowhere. 7) Thermostat. It's not necessarily evil but it has darker tones than say, Don't Let's Start. Naturlich. 8) STOMP BOX. All that stuff is just evil! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the album. But you're right, it does entail being in the right mood to listen to it. I'm the same way with the first album though... Sometimes I am all too eager to just grab it and stuff it in my CD player but other times I just don't feel like being upbeat and, as John Flansburgh aptly put it when he described the dizzyingly (though entertainingly) fast-motion videos from the first album, "Frenetic." Lydia Could believe for all the world that I'm an opinionated little girl.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903215815.00952d50@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 21:58:37 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Even "Unforgotten"? Now *that's* devotion. ;-) -Adam At 09:53 PM 9/3/99 -0400, MrBean43@aol.com wrote: >Every b-side, on every single is great. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <84d79f43.2501d720@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:00:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > > >>What about sensurround? > > >What about "Careless Santa"? > > What about Spitting Contest? Stop this dumb one-line pointless posting! You people suck! Grrr! |:P --Lydia-- Who isn't really mad at anyone, but just feels cheated and embarrassed that she thought Spitting Contest was a real TMBG song. And also cheated that she put John Henry in the microwave and pressed "reheat" and broke Lincoln into six pieces and glued it back together to try and hear it ;\ ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <983795ca.2501d7db@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:03:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album I second this!!! I dont care if STD doesnt sound like a typical live album, or capture the live feel...I still love all the songs on it, and I love the way it sounds, and its really fun to listen to.. Also John Henry is my favorite album. And I LOVE their Brave New World appearances.. Jordan In a message dated 9/3/99 9:58:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MrBean43@aol.com writes: << As long as everyone is busting on tmbg, I'll just make this statement. Every album rocks. Every song on every album is great. Every b-side, on every single is great. Every unreleased song I've ever heard by them, I've enjoyed. Sever Tire Damage is one of the best CD's i own. John Henry is even better. When I listen to a cd, I listen to every song....because they're all good. Alright, i know no one cares, but since every one else is talking about what they don't like, I thought i'd make sure you all know i've never heard a tmbg song i didn't like. >> ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <88ff7445.2501d990@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:10:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/99 4:16:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: > S-E-X-X-Y: hate it > TMHFO: Great! > How Can I Sing Like a Girl?: awful > Exquisite Dead Guy: pretty good > Metal Detector: wonderful > New York City: It's a cover, but they did a decent job with it > Your Own Worst Enemy: not bad, but could be better > XTC vs. Adam Ant: I'd rather puke up my intestines > Spiraling Shape: One of Linnell's best works > James K. Polk: I like the Istanbul version better, but this one is pretty > good > Pet Name: I'd rather listen to XTC vs. Adam Ant > I Can Hear You: We Can Waste Our Fans Time > The Bells are Ringing: Excellent song, I could listen to it all day long. Wow! And you people thought *I* was biased and mean! Wheeee! Those were all my opinions exactly (Except I don't feel SO strongly, for example, puke up my intestines? Wasn't THAT bad... Maybe just a big lunch ;) And Pet Name is okay from time to time, but only when I am in the mood for listening to it.) Oddly though, after I got yelled at I went back and listened to Hotel Detective and I LIKED it. So now I'm all scared, and against these extreme opinions for some reason. But don't worry, I know where you're coming from ;) Lydia Planning on working on a whole universe of cool TMBG-based art projects. But first she has to find the time and motivation *^_^* ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <1f33b358.2501d972@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:09:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/1999 4:16:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: << I Can Hear You: We Can Waste Our Fans Time >> A few posts ago that guy said that tmbg likes to experiment with stuff, unlike most other bands out there who find what makes them popular, and stick with it, even if it means completely changing their music and image (sugar ray is a great example of this.) Most of you that have been making reply posts on this "the next album" string, are being way too critical of they might be giants. You can't say factory showroom isn't as good as flood or apollo because they're COMPLETELY different kinds of cd's! two of them make percussion, for the most part, with a drum machine. Of course it's going to sound different! And if you all remember correctly, the only reasong tmbg started out using a drum maching was becaue they couldn't get a real drummer. It's always been their preference to have a full back up band. Just think if they had started out with that drummer or back up band, they'd be totally different Tmbg is experimenting, especially with I Can Hear You, or(which when i first hear FS was the only song i liked, now i like all of them) and you should all respect their willingness to depart from the mainstream. Maybe you should just be less critical and just listen to the cd. I know i don't speak for everyone when i say this, but alot of people get into tmbg because they're sick of listeneing to bands that all sound the same....well folks, tmbg is just trying to NOT be like that. for the last time, you can't expect a band to stay exactly the same simply to please their fans. Look at the beatles, they lost thousands of fans around the time of rubber soul/revolver just because they were trying to be different. John and John are married, one has kids, and they're nearly 40. You should be glad they're still even touring, let along making music, which continues to get better and better i should add. I'm sure i haven't said most of what i'd like to say, but im not all that great at writing down my thoughts at the spur of the moment like this. maybe i'll write some more after i read the rest of this day's load of mail. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <950844b9.2501da6c@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:14:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Time for your meds, girls... In a message dated 9/3/99 3:31:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hotel_detective1@juno.com writes: << ever-sincere, eriKa, that's all I have to say! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! -- I liked Severe Tire Damage and all the BNW performances. I obviously must be a nutcase! WAH WAH WAH. >> As did I...may I join you in your comfy padded cell? I've brought my own strait jacket and everything ;-) Karen J. Riley, millionaire... I own a mansion und a yacht. "Dr. Worm, can we have our prescribed dose of TMBG now, please?!! " ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <3035d8d9.2501dbd3@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:20:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/1999 5:28:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hotel_detective1@juno.com writes: << don't understand why practically everyone here seems to be so ... picky about everything. Here's my views: Brave New World: "Gee, King Weed kind of sucked. That moon germ song was weird." All I can say is that it's probably kind of damn hard to write songs about such topics. I mean, if someone came up to you and said, "Hey, we need you to write a song about how sparrows and white tail deer have an uncanny ability to survive, and then we need you to write one about that germ that lived in the camera on the moon for two years - oh, and after that, let's see you write one about string theory!" you'd probably be wondering what the hell kind of song you could make out of those delightful topics. I think they've done a damn good job so far. Not only do you have to write the song, but you have to put the showmanship in there too, and I think They've done a rather good job in both fields. It's not like they're going to put any of them (with the exception of perhaps Older) on an album, so henceforth, the songs don't have to sound like some studio track. Instead of sitting there and thinking, "Why are they doing a country song? This is lame," and feeling generally cranky, it's far more entertaining to laugh your ass of as I did, thinking, "FLANS IN A FAKE BEARD PLAYING A ZITHER! BWAHAHAHAHA!" It's meant to be funny. Severe Tire Damage: Before They made a live album, everyone would be whining about "When are They gonna do a live album?" and when they finally make one, everyone whines about how they hate it. MAKE UP YOUR MIND. Personally, I very much enjoy STD (and, I also have Live Noise, and see no point in comparing the two - I love them both), and STD was a very valuable asset to me when I first got it. At the time I was still becoming a fan, and STD has a wide range of their stuff, so when I got to the record store I could say, "Well, I liked Ana Ng, so I'll get Lincoln." Besides, you cannot really simulate going to a concert with just an album, no matter what you do. >> For the record, I agree with everything you said. I'd also like to reiterate one thing this dude pointed out....you people whine too much. Most of you are in college too, grow up. There's more to life than music. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <6d5bc793.2501dc1e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:21:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > EVEN though Factory Showroom was my introduction to TMBG (anybody else?) Sorry! Mine was Flood :) I heard form several people, after I had listened to it but before I heard anything else, that it was their best album. I was deathly afraid of being disappointed by everything else they did, because they had already proven to be my favorite band! But I never was! Ever. I can't say anything is better than anything else on average, because I feel that somehow this isn't fair to them. Even though I don't like some things as much, I love them all! I have been constantly and more-than-pleasantly surprised by everything they've done. Maybe I just totally mind-f***ed myself into never being able to be disappointed, from the beginning, but I don't think I needed to *^_^* Lydia All right, all right, I'm getting mushy, I know! That's my homage for the day :) ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <62fefc2d.2501de0e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:29:34 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album > ah, so you're one of those people, eh? that is the absolute stupidest phrase > I've ever heard. It shows that you can't argue your point without > attempting > to insult people. Nice try. The person wasn't trying to MAKE a point, he ( Sorry if you weren't a he, I don't want to look back and see who wrote it, I'm lazy :\) was just telling you to either like them or not like them and stop complaining to us about it either way. Obviously. And I can't help but agree! Lydia Oy vey. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903221939.0095bda0@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 22:30:29 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album I think you're entirely missing the point. I've listened to the CD, and I have quite a few nitpicks about it. I really don't see what's wrong with being critical... That's what this list is for -- discussing TMBG and their music. I'm not saying that TMBG should never try anything different. All I'm saying is that they should do something *good*, and unlike the Beatles, who were trying something innovative with Rubber Soul/Revolver (as you mentioned), most of the nitpicks I have about FS is that there's *nothing* original or innovative in so many songs. And to reply to the following remark: "Most of you are in college too, grow up. There's more to life than music." Why are you on a TMBG mailing list if you find discussion about music to be pointless? -Adam At 10:09 PM 9/3/99 -0400, MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > Just think if >they had started out with that drummer or back up band, they'd be totally >different Tmbg is experimenting, especially with I Can Hear You, or(which >when i first hear FS was the only song i liked, now i like all of them) and >you should all respect their willingness to depart from the mainstream. Maybe >you should just be less critical and just listen to the cd. ------------------------------ From: Coolfro38@aol.com Message-ID: <48348b48.2501dec0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:32:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/99 10:23:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: << > EVEN though Factory Showroom was my introduction to TMBG (anybody else?) >> Sort of...I got into it around the time of Factory Showroom, but my brother brought Flood home from college, so that would be the first of Their albums that I heard. The funniest thing about it was I heard the CD and I was just thinking "Which song do I like most?" and there were quite a few! From "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" to "Dead" to "Birdhouse In Your Soul" to "We Want A Rock" to "Whistling In the Dark" to "Twisting" to "Lucky Ball & Chain" to "Women and Men" (the chorus is awesome) and back to the "Theme from Flood" they were all just really cool! Factory Showroom was the second album that I heard though. "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only should do what you know how to do well...", GW ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <8784c6e1.2501e244@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:47:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Hall (or House?) Of Mayors Could anyone give me the track listing to Hall Of Mayors, or is it House Of Mayors? Thank you ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <1a8af7e0.2501e287@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:48:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/1999 10:40:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: << most of the nitpicks I have about FS is that there's *nothing* original or innovative in so many songs. >> I can hear you isn't innovative? ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <31366ac7.2501e305@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:50:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Well, I just had to throw in my thoughts here... I'd say I like about 80-90% of everything TMBG has ever done, and of that 80-90%, a good 50% are songs I absolutely love. Now I know that criticism can be very healthy, and there is such a thing as "blind fandom," in which all objectivity is lost, and that isn not good. However, I don't think I am being too lenient because I'm a fan...I think I am as big a fan as I am because of those impressive odds. I never thought they could "do no wrong," because there are one or two songs on each album and b-side I'm not crazy about. But I do love EVERY album :) I simply can't imagine life without "Dr. Worm" or "First Kiss," or "Hey Mr. DJ" or "It's Not My Birthday", or "sleeping in the Flowers" or "End of the Tour," or "Mrs Train," or...well, you get the picture. For the record, I know std could've been a LOT better...they could've gotten a much better live version of "Ana Ng" than rehashing the mediocre version from LiNY, for example, but the fast version of "They Got Lost," the pumped up version of "she's Actual size" and "This Ape's for You" make it well worth the price :) Kay, who could say a lot more on the subject if she had more time and energy ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:51:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Time for your meds, girls... > As did I...may I join you in your comfy padded cell? I've brought my own > strait jacket and everything ;-) ::bounces forward, already snugly wrapped in her strait jacket:: Can I join you too? I brought hats with cans of soda and straws connecting the cans to the hats to your mouth!! Don't even need hands!! And I brought some BNL albums anda copy of Severe Tire Damage :) Lydia ...To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time And I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats!..... ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 23:00:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/3/99 10:00:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: << Even "Unforgotten"? Now *that's* devotion. ;-) >> I happen to love it. Karen Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903225613.009515e0@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 23:02:11 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album What about "I Can Hear You" is innovative? I don't see anything musically interesting about recording something on a wax cylinder, personally. I think it's neat...maybe something for a b-side, but I can't see anything about it that warrants being an album tracks. From your comments, it almost sounds as if you like things not because of their quality, but because they're different. You remind me of some people at the radio station where I DJ...they'll put on something like "Authentic Gong Music From The Phillipines, Vol. 1", leave it on for half an hour, and just augh hysterically. Just because something is different or done differently doesn't make it good, and no, recording a substandard song on a wax cylinder doesn't interest me in the slightest. Personally, my thoughts echo Kay's...I like the great majority of TMBG's work and dearly love much of it, but if you are unwilling to accept criticism of any sort, perhaps being on a discussion list isn't the best idea. -Adam At 10:48 PM 9/3/99 -0400, MrBean43@aol.com wrote: >I can hear you isn't innovative? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990903230813.0095d830@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 23:08:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Now this is somewhat embarassing. :-) That should be "warrants being an album track" and "laugh hysterically". Sorry. :-) -Adam At 11:02 PM 9/3/99 -0400, Adam Tyner wrote: >What about "I Can Hear You" is innovative? I don't see anything musically >interesting about recording something on a wax cylinder, personally. I >think it's neat...maybe something for a b-side, but I can't see anything >about it that warrants being an album tracks. From your comments, it >almost sounds as if you like things not because of their quality, but >because they're different. You remind me of some people at the radio >station where I DJ...they'll put on something like "Authentic Gong Music >From The Phillipines, Vol. 1", leave it on for half an hour, and just >ugh hysterically. Just because something is different or done differently >doesn't make it good, and no, recording a substandard song on a wax >cylinder doesn't interest me in the slightest. > >Personally, my thoughts echo Kay's...I like the great majority of TMBG's >work and dearly love much of it, but if you are unwilling to accept >criticism of any sort, perhaps being on a discussion list isn't the best idea. > >-Adam > >At 10:48 PM 9/3/99 -0400, MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > >>I can hear you isn't innovative? > > ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <4df91fb8.2501e785@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 23:09:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album : > Well, this *is* a discussion list, and Lawrence did explain why he feels > the way he does. I mean, it'd be one thing if he said "STD sucks, and > anyone who likes it is a moron", but that's clearly not the > case. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and one of the primary > purposes of this list is to give people the opportunity to share their > opinions with others... Yes, well, no one gave me such lenient treatment when I said what I said about Hotel Detective! And I actually COMPLETELY CHANGED MY OPINION OF THE SONG after that, whether I did it consciously or not! Lydia Could believe for all the world that I'm an angry little girl... :P ------------------------------ From: Coolfro38@aol.com Message-ID: <6d5c6b83.2501e869@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 23:13:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album I would like for everyone to give our good friend Adam Ant, who happens to be a tiger, a round of applause for accepting that his message was grammatically incorrect due to a number of typographical errors. Enough about the Tigers, go Green Wave!!!!! Yeah TU! In a message dated 9/3/99 11:10:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Adam Ant writes: << Now this is somewhat embarassing. :-) That should be "warrants being an album track" and "laugh hysterically". Sorry. :-) -Adam >> ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: Hall (or House?) Of Mayors Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 01:00:14 -0700 Message-ID: This is the second time I have sent this. Yes it is a full CD. Here is the track list: 1. Preamble: Fernando Wood, 2. Processional, 3. DeWitt Clinton, 4. Processional, 5. John Purroy Mitchel, 6. Will You Love Me In December, 7. Processional, 8. Fiorello LaGuardia, 9. David Dinkins, 10. House Of Mayors -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of MrBean43@aol.com Sent: Friday, September 03, 1999 7:48 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Hall (or House?) Of Mayors Could anyone give me the track listing to Hall Of Mayors, or is it House Of Mayors? Thank you ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D09B91.A35FDABA@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 00:09:53 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > Wow. Talk about tough love. How is it that the cruelest critics are usually a > band's best fans?? That never ceases to amaze me. I take everything they dish > out with grace, love and amazing gratitude. In short, I just eat it up! Where is it written that a fan has to absolutely love everything that the group does? I'm not syaing they're awful now, but I am saying that their judgement is questionable, as their last two releases have not really been up to the standard set by the first 5. And I'd say considerably lower, at that. Almost to the point of no comparison. And for the record, I still do road trip for their shows, only not as much. I like traveling for Fruvous because they're a lot more fan-friendly and tend to vary their sets a lot more. And I really only have energy (and money) to follow one band around. Well, that and I need the stamps. :) TMBG should come up with some kind of incentive program for roadtripping, except for the fact that they don't *like* roadtrippers. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:14:54 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hall Of Mayors Message-ID: <19990904.001015.-300549.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein > Actually, it's "House of Mayors," not Hall. Either one. The one that I have says "House of Mayors", but the one shown in the info club catalog says "Hall Of Mayors". Derek "Uh, dummy heads...again!" - JF ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D0A530.6E68DE4F@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 00:50:56 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > A few posts ago that guy said that tmbg likes to experiment with stuff, > unlike most other bands out there who find what makes them popular, and stick > with it, even if it means completely changing their music and image (sugar > ray is a great example of this.) Most of you that have been making reply > posts on this "the next album" string, are being way too critical of they "too critical?" how can you say that? are you also of the opinion that fans should believe that "their band" can do no wrong? > sound different! And if you all remember correctly, the only reasong tmbg > started out using a drum maching was becaue they couldn't get a real drummer. > It's always been their preference to have a full back up band. Just think if er, false. they started with a drum machine because they wanted to, and they had no preference at the time. it has only been since they acquired the band that they've liked it better. I have an interview somewhere from about a 10 years ago where they said something to the effect of "I don't think we'll ever play with a live band... we don't really see the need for it." So clearly that was not their original preference. > they had started out with that drummer or back up band, they'd be totally > different Tmbg is experimenting, especially with I Can Hear You, or(which > when i first hear FS was the only song i liked, now i like all of them) and > you should all respect their willingness to depart from the mainstream. Maybe > you should just be less critical and just listen to the cd. pot. kettle. black. you do, of course realize that you are being critical of me for being critical? I really don't see why it's such a bad thing to be critical of something. should I just absolutely love everything they do *just* because they're They Might Be Giants? -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 00:55:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album In a message dated 9/4/99 12:18:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: << except for the fact that they don't *like* roadtrippers. >> What have the Johns done or said that makes you say this? I'm just curious... Karen Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D0ABF9.A1F0AECF@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 01:19:53 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > What have the Johns done or said that makes you say this? I'm just curious... If Josh doesn't mind me relating his experience... when TMBG were in Pittsburgh last October, he met Linnell and told him he'd seen them 18 times, so Linnell asked him when he first saw them, and the response was August of 1996. Linnell's response was a very taken aback "Oh... so you've seen us a lot... recently..." in that Linnell way... the sound of it was kind of like "You're crazy." Hmmm, I guess that doesn't show that they don't *like* roadtrippers, so much as just not really understanding them, which is true of a lot of people. Or that they're freaked out by us. Maybe this is just in comparison to Moxy Fruvous, who go out of their way to please the roadtrippers. I dunno... I've just always gotten the impression that they didn't really appreciate people obsessing over them enough to drive a long way to see them. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 01:16:23 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: <19990904.012134.9798.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >No offense, but that's a ridiculous statement. I prefer to see it as a rather accurate observation. >Oh, shut up! Who wants to hear your views? You suck! No, you suck! >For the record, I agree with everything you said. >I'd also like to reiterate one thing this dude pointed out.... Thanks. But I'm not a dude. But I can deal with it. >you people whine too much. I plead the fifth. >There's more to life than music. Just try enjoying the music. It's usually more entertaining that way. ever-sincere, eriKa, not a dude. -- i (heart) the offtopic list! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 01:23:37 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Probabaly because John and John are normal people with lives, and can't understand your ways. Personally, neither can I. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 01:31:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: I kinda felt like this too, although I'm sure it was out of my own paranoia.. I've seen Them 7 times.. three times this past year. The last time I saw them was in Louisville, and was literally 3 feet away from Linnell... I think he gave me weird looks. I swear. HE KNEW! :) As far as dedicated followers... Tori Amos fans are scary (I am one, so I say this with insider knowledge...) There are people that have seen her hundreds of times, that have given up college funds, quit jobs... she appreciates it, though... personally, I'd start looking at someone funny after they'd been at the last 10 shows... actually, though, there have been some people that have been "politely asked" not to return touring, b/c they were just creepy... but I mean, hell, we have a fan club for Tori's bodyguard... It's late and I'm rambling. Colleen Anne On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > > > What have the Johns done or said that makes you say this? I'm just curious... > > If Josh doesn't mind me relating his experience... when TMBG were in > Pittsburgh last October, he met Linnell and told him he'd seen them 18 times, > so Linnell asked him when he first saw them, and the response was August of > 1996. Linnell's response was a very taken aback "Oh... so you've seen us a > lot... recently..." in that Linnell way... the sound of it was kind of like > "You're crazy." > > Hmmm, I guess that doesn't show that they don't *like* roadtrippers, so much > as just not really understanding them, which is true of a lot of people. Or > that they're freaked out by us. Maybe this is just in comparison to Moxy > Fruvous, who go out of their way to please the roadtrippers. I dunno... I've > just always gotten the impression that they didn't really appreciate people > obsessing over them enough to drive a long way to see them. > -- > Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com > "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently > you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. > ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:49:28 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: <19990904.020406.-673203.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > >Who else thinks that? You people are awful! Terrible! Cruel! If you > don't > >like it, don't complain about it! ok, it's funny how it's only people that have been on this list since like it's start or 1996 era that are actually complaining and such. i don't know, maybe it's a coincidence maybe there's somethign there. all i know is that i totally agree with you lawrence! :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 02:19:11 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: <19990904.022107.-673203.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> > > >>What about sensurround? > > >What about "Careless Santa"? > > What about Spitting Contest? > > Stop this dumb one-line pointless posting! You people suck! Grrr! we can't stop until someone mentions careless santa! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/jdoa/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 02:19:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hall (or House?) Of Mayors Message-ID: <19990904.022107.-673203.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Could anyone give me the track listing to Hall Of Mayors, or is it > House Of > Mayors? it depends on whether you got it the first time around when it was actually being released "monthly." or if you got it through the info club newsletter as an individual selection. i'd check mine and let you know which is which but i left my cd's thousands of miles away in my move... i think that i had hall of mayors (which is through the actual monthly club). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 02:21:06 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Message-ID: <19990904.022107.-673203.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> > And for the record, I still do road trip for their shows, only not > as much. I > like traveling for Fruvous because they're a lot more fan-friendly > and tend to > vary their sets a lot more. yeah!!! i totally hear you. four years ago where i would have been driving all over the west to catch TMBG shows i am now flying back home for the fruvous shows and not the TMBG ones. i guess that's the way it goes tho --- Moxy Fruvous appreciates their fans and they perform their music, for the most part, for their fans. TMBG makes their music because it's something they love to do --- i just don't think they have the fans in mind when they're deciding every last bit of a song, a show, or generally running into a fan on a street, it's almost as if fruvous has it constantly in the back of their minds, even if it's not their main motivation. Neither one is better than the other - i just tend to appreciate a band that knows what i'm willign to do just to catch one or two of their gigs. ya know? Moxy Fruvous, of course, is a one in a million band where if i mention "sarah" at a show in denver the band can pretty much know i'm talking about limezinger in rochester. they actually pay attention to what their fans say and do and i think that's totally rockin take it easy, JOrdaN my fruvous schedule for fall '99: 10/29, 10/30, 10/31 Colorado || 11/19 Philly (?) || 12/1 NYC are you gonna be there? e-mail me! i need crashspace in philly!!! ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990904024753.0095cdb0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 02:52:34 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Yeah, I noticed that...the people who have been more critical (myself included) are names I recognize (I've been on the list since Sept. '96), and most of the people who are defending the Giants are names I don't remember seeing for that long, with one exception. I'm sorry to keep babbling on about this, but if you asked me a year ago what my least favorite TMBG song was, I probably wouldn't have provided an answer. I definitely fell into the "They can do no wrong!" category, but my tastes started changing as I listened to more and more different types of music, and now I'm a bit more critical. Several people really don't seem to like criticism, but y'know, that's the point of the list. Don't take it so personally. :-) The fact that fans are actively discussing things in a critical nature on this list really sets it apart from most of the other lists I read...for example, the BNL list, the Treefort. ::winks to anyone who happens to be on that list too:: -Adam At 09:49 PM 9/3/99 -0400, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >ok, it's funny how it's only people that have been on this list since >like it's start or 1996 era that are actually complaining and such. i >don't know, maybe it's a coincidence maybe there's somethign there. all >i know is that i totally agree with you lawrence! :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390963736.936427945774.JavaMail.root@web02.pub01> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 02:52:25 -0400 (EDT) From: atomic worm Subject: TMBG: TMBG BLOWS THE BIG 'UN first, i don't have kind feelings for larry. i hope no one _actually_ thinks that I Can Hear You didn't diserve its space... so you're saying that Toddler Highway was the perfect little 20 second diddy on Pink? THEY are doing what they've wanted to do since the beginning: make the music they want to make... and it's all possible because they have the resources to do it. really, i love john and john more than i have loved any one thing on this earth. my parents don't even come close. why? despite the form that THEIR messages come in, it is really the message that touches me (or intentional lack thereof). larry, you didn't ACTUALLY rate those fs songs did you? that must have been my imagination. i thought TMBG fans had a little more grey matter on their side than the casual observer from the pop mainstream might. i thought we all "got it," insofar as THEY are concerned. if THEIR music doesn't touch you anymore larry, i think you grew up. (dr.worm is the happiest song i have ever heard. i cry when i hear it constantly. i am eighteen years old. i'm crying because larry is an ass, and i don't have a problem letting him know) larry, is your favorite song Particle Man? I thought so! the call me doctor worm good morning how are you i'm doctor worm [charley] __________________________________________________ FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D1172E.F5BD564@fruhead.com> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 08:57:18 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG:The Next Album Colleen Anne McClanahan wrote: > As far as dedicated followers... Tori Amos fans are scary (I am one, so I > say this with insider knowledge...) There are people that have seen her > hundreds of times, that have given up college funds, quit jobs... she > appreciates it, though... personally, I'd start looking at someone funny > after they'd been at the last 10 shows... actually, though, there have > been some people that have been "politely asked" not to return touring, > b/c they were just creepy... but I mean, hell, we have a fan club for > Tori's bodyguard... yeah, but *that's* freaky. the cool thing about the TMBG and Fruvous roadtrippers I know is that we do know our limits as far as time and money go - however tempted I may be to go see them in Milwaukee, Madison, and Minneapolis in a couple of weeks, I know that there's no way I can do it. But since Detroit and Chicago are on weekends, it's no big deal.... things like that. Sensible roadtripping. :) -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-5 *****************************