Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 8 Wednesday, 8 September 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? TMBG: Any Reprehensible fans out there? Re: TMBG: Any Reprehensible fans out there? Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? TMBG: Re: Harry Chapin Re: TMBG: Re: Harry Chapin Re: TMBG: Any Reprehensible fans out there? TMBG: State Songs LP Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? TMBG: Just barely hear you.... TMBG: Some Cool Facts Re: TMBG: Some Cool Facts Re: TMBG: Some Cool Facts TMBG: Re: Just barely hear you.... TMBG: Re: Some Cool Facts Re: TMBG: Re: Some Cool Facts Re: TMBG: Re: Some Cool Facts TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Addendum (Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings) Re: Addendum (Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings) Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Re: Addendum (Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings) Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Re: TMBG: LimeZinger! Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings TMBG: two things Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Re: NON-TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: Some Cool Facts TMBG: TMBG experience... Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? TMBG: Montana Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: wake up america Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album TMBG: TMBG's album quality since Flood TMBG: Reviews of State Songs TMBG: Re: Reviews of State Songs Re: TMBG: Re: Reviews of State Songs TMBG: TMBG Videos. TMBG: the dans and such Re: TMBG: the dans and such Re: TMBG: the dans and such Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:08:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? I highly don't think that TMBG is going downhill. Now more than they have in a long time if ever have they been in some sort of National Spotlight. They're doing songs for sevral movies, tv shows, first band ever to produce an internet only album, making another full lenght album, and making a children's album while still touring. I don't consider that going downhill at all. -Amber ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <353b7cea.2505341d@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:13:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: Any Reprehensible fans out there? Hey hey, I was just wondering if anyone loves this tune as much as I do. It's wonderfully creepy and sad at the same time. It's been one of my faves since I heard it live back in 1996, but I like the studio version even better. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990906152544.19804.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Any Reprehensible fans out there? Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:25:44 PDT Oh, yes, I'm a VERY reprehensible fan. I steal Their albums from music stores, and sell bootlegs. I sneak into shows without paying, and spit on the Johns. Kaylum wrote: >Hey hey, I was just wondering if anyone loves this tune as much as I >do. Oh, you meant the SONG "Reprehensible." Yes, it's one of my favourite recent TMBG songs. I just love the sound, as well as the lyrics. It's a shame They didn't see fit to put it on a "regular" album, but at least it was released. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: XTC, Mummer ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990906153928.27589.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:39:27 PDT Gegatron: >i find i love each cd in the reverse order in which it was released >(with >the exception of STD which i'd put one notch above flood) I'd say that I think almost the exact opposite of this. (That was a quite awkward sentence, but I think you get the idea.) _Lincoln_ was a few steps above the pink album, but I don't think that anything else quite lived up to that one. I like Lincoln better than Flood, and Flood better than Apollo 18. My opinion of John Henry varies, depending on my mood, but Factory Showroom is my least favourite of the six main albums. (I don't really count Severe Tire Damage as a "main" album, since it was a different sort of project. I might have to rank it at the bottom if I did include it, but I'm not sure that this is entirely fair.) Amber the Translucent: >I highly don't think that TMBG is going downhill. I do, but it's hard NOT to go downhill after work as amazing as Their early stuff. It's not as if They used to be great, and now They're the worst band ever. Their recent songs usually aren't quite AS good as Their earlier ones, but that doesn't mean that many of them aren't still good. >Now more than they have in >a long time if ever have they been in some sort of National Spotlight. >They're doing songs for sevral movies, tv shows, first band ever to produce >an internet only album, making another full lenght album, and making a >children's album while still touring. I don't consider that going >downhill >at all. Greater quantity doesn't necessarily mean greater quality. Just because They're getting more exposure and recognition doesn't mean They're better. A band could easily do all of those things and still suck. (I'm not saying that TMBG DOES suck, just that doing all that stuff doesn't mean the band isn't going downhill in terms of quality.) -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Campkr@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:51:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Harry Chapin > Alienation's For The Rich -- funny, somehow soundds like Harry Chapin Did anybody go to the Harry Chapin Memorial Concert on September 4th in NJ? Andrew Lange "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts -- for support rather than illumination" ~Andrew Lang (1844-1912) ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: <3042ccef.250540b5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:07:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Harry Chapin In a message dated 9/6/99 11:53:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Campkr@aol.com writes: > > Alienation's For The Rich -- funny, somehow soundds like Harry Chapin > > Did anybody go to the Harry Chapin Memorial Concert on September 4th in NJ? > No, but my dad was part of a Harry Chapin Tribute. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:16:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Any Reprehensible fans out there? In a message dated 9/6/99 11:14:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Kaylum@aol.com writes: << Hey hey, I was just wondering if anyone loves this tune as much as I do. It's wonderfully creepy and sad at the same time. It's been one of my faves since I heard it live back in 1996, but I like the studio version even better. Kay >> Yes, it's my favorite TMBG song, closely followed by "Where Your Eyes Don't Go." My husband, who is a relatively new fan, loves Reprehensible also. I caught my son playing it more than any other song off of LTW...and my daughter loves the rhythm. Karen :-) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990906165550.13746.rocketmail@web209.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:55:50 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: State Songs LP I don't think there has been much talk of a realese date for john linnell's states songs but i was browsing around rounders website and i looked under upcoming realeses on october 26 and low and behold there i found a john linnells states being realesed on this date see for yourself: http://www.rounder.com/rounder/toberel/102699.html i think i'm gonna order it from them cause stores never seem to get stuff i want in stores with out ordering it. -CHRIS __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:25:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? I like some of their newer stuff. Certain People I Could Name, or Dr. Worm are great. Its taking the sort of akwardness that John Henry had of being a full band, and making it sound more like their older stuff. -Amber ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 15:08:22 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D41126.2405D172@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? In my own humble oppinion, I think Lincon is probably their best work. I can't say for sure why, or give adiquite back up for my idea, I just find that most of my favorite songs are on Lincon. -A Alterian@aol.com wrote: > > I like some of their newer stuff. Certain People I Could Name, or Dr. Worm > are great. Its taking the sort of akwardness that John Henry had of being a > full band, and making it sound more like their older stuff. > -Amber ------------------------------ From: "Erik J. Chuss" Message-ID: <852567E4.006D2C05.00@notes831.cc.telcordia.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:52:23 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Just barely hear you.... I'm really very sorry but I have to disagree with everyone here who is saying ICHY isn't worthy of the time given it on the album (or something like that). The song is GENIUS, pure GENIUS! If you were asked (by the Edison Museum) to write a song for recording on a one hundred year old wax cylinder, I doubt anyone could come up with the idea of pointing out that a lot of the communication we have today isn't much better than what was out there a hundred years ago, (i.e. the wax cylinder) and then work it into a song. IMHO, this is a fine example of JF at his best. Oh yeah, I may have missed this, but did someone say "Careless Santa". I wasn't paying attention. It is a problem I have had since 3rd grade. Erik ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <4e58c1b4.25058b6c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:26:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Some Cool Facts I found the following interesting info on each of the Johns' birthdays at http://www.dailyglobe.com/day2day.html (you could look up your own birthday if you want to as well). Karen J. Riley John Linnell: 12 June Birthdays: Anne Frank John Linnell (TMBG) Charles Kingsley Johanna Spyri Marv Albert Egon Schiele James Houston Chick Corea Denise Michele (Pb 4/76) Vic Damone Rory Sparrow Uta Hagen Djuna Barnes Bobby Sheehan Priscilla Lane David Rockefeller Vera Ralston Johanna Spvri Rocky Burnette Timothy Busfield Irwin Allen Reg Presley George Bush Len Barry Roy Harper Jennilee Harrison Kenny Wayne Shepherd Bun E. Carlos Junior Brown Rona Jaffe Anthony Eden Brad Delp Grandmaster Dee Jim Nabors Victor Allen Blank (1931; Martin Blank's father in 1997 film Grosse Pointe Blank) Holidays: Magic Day Ghost in the Machine Day Helsinki Day (Finland) St. Leo's Day Philippines Independence Day St. Anthony's Eve (Portugal) Goddess Month of Hera ends St. Onuphrius' Day (patron of weavers) National Peanut Butter Cookie Day Events: Baseball invented (1839) 1st Blood Transfusion given (1667) Helsinki founded (1550) 1st Bullfighter killed in the arena Niagra Falls shut off (1969) 1st Trapshooting Tournament held Baseball Hall of Fame established (1939) 1st Film Documentary finished Bilbo returned (Hobbit) Columbus discovered Cuba Beatles received MBE's (1965) Gas Mask patented Jaguar 1st won Le Mans (1951) Magdalene College, Oxford founded (1458) Chaco War ended (1930) Al Capone arrested (1931) Napoleon Bonaparte excommunicated (1809) 700 Puritans arrived at Salem (1630) Virginia Assembley created its own Bill of Rights (1776) Nelson Mandela sentenced to life imprisonment (1964) Martin Blank's father born (1931; in the film Grosse Pointe Blank) Supremes' Back in My Arms reached No. 1 (1965) Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman murdered, probably by O.J. Simpson (1994) David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz sentenced to 6 life sentences, one for each murder (1978) Civil Rights lawyer Medgar Evers murdered by segregationists in Mississippi (1963) In Loving v. Virginia, US Supreme Court held the 16 states having laws prohibiting interracial marriages were unconstitutional (1967) John Flansburgh: 6 May Birthdays: T.H. White Sigmund Freud Orson Welles John McCutcheon Robert E. Peary Aram Khachaturian Ernst Ludwig Kirchner Willie Mays Martin Robinson Delany Rudolph Valentino Willie Mays Phoebe Ann Coffin Daniel Gerber George Clooney John Penn William Daniel Leahy Gaston Leroux Maximilien Robespierre Lori Singer Grove Karl Gilbert Dana Hill Rabindranath Tagore Stewart Granger Herbie Cox Max Ophlus Emmanuel Celler Bob Seger Toots Shor Weeb Ewbank Roma Downey Jimmie Dale Gilmore Luigi Villoresi Richard C. Shelby Tony Blair Mark Bryan Henry II Holidays: Enlightenment of the Buddha National Homebrew Day International No Diet Day Beverage Day Eyvind Kelve (Norse) Feast of the Fiery Flying Roll Shepherd's and Herdsman's Day (Bulgaria) Nurses' Day Sixth Day of May (Fairy) St. Ava's Day (patron of children learning to walk) National Crepe Suzette Day Events: Peter Minuit bought Manhattan (1626) Sack of Rome (1527) Refrigerator invented Lock patented Mile 1st run in under 4 minutes (1954) Zonker retired from tanning (Doonesbury) W.P.A. established (1935) Hindenburg dirigible exploded (1937) Crazy Horse surrendered, giving up Nebraska (1877) Babe Ruth hit his 1st Home Run (1915) 1st International Boxing Match held (1733) Yale Lock patented (1851) Battle of Wounded Knee (1973) Arkansas seceded from the Union (1861) 1st Shots fired in Cod War (1959) FCC gave TV Channel 1 to the US military Hitler Diaries announced as fakes (1983) Elizabeth Taylor married Nicky Hilton (1950) Works Progress Administration created (1935) Chinese Exclusion Act passed (1882) 1st Postage Stamp issued (UK Black Penny; 1840) David Duchovny & Tea Leoni married (1997) Mindy 1st kissed Mork (on Mork & Mindy; 1980) US Supreme Court established the ludicrous "separate but equal" doctrine in transportation (1896) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990906213124.64417.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "something else other" Subject: Re: TMBG: Some Cool Facts Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:31:24 GMT Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that Linny is listed under this birthdate ... but Flansy seems to be nonexistant. Come on! Poor Flansy ... he's MY man too! -Samantha >John Linnell: > >12 June > >Birthdays: >Anne Frank >John Linnell (TMBG) >John Flansburgh: > >6 May > >Birthdays: >T.H. White >Sigmund Freud >Orson Welles >John McCutcheon >Robert E. Peary >Aram Khachaturian >Ernst Ludwig Kirchner >Willie Mays >Martin Robinson Delany >Rudolph Valentino >Willie Mays >Phoebe Ann Coffin >Daniel Gerber >George Clooney >John Penn >William Daniel Leahy >Gaston Leroux >Maximilien Robespierre >Lori Singer >Grove Karl Gilbert >Dana Hill >Rabindranath Tagore >Stewart Granger >Herbie Cox >Max Ophlus >Emmanuel Celler >Bob Seger >Toots Shor >Weeb Ewbank >Roma Downey >Jimmie Dale Gilmore >Luigi Villoresi >Richard C. Shelby >Tony Blair >Mark Bryan >Henry II ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <240094b8.25058f26@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:41:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Some Cool Facts In a message dated 9/6/99 5:32:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, samantha1983@hotmail.com writes: << Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that Linny is listed under this birthdate ... but Flansy seems to be nonexistant. Come on! Poor Flansy ... he's MY man too! >> Yeah, I noticed that, too...but there was only so much room in each days chart for celebrity birthdays, and May 6th's chart was filled (June 12th's wasn't), so I guess that had to prioritize, and figure out which names to include, or exclude. Karen :-) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 18:01:11 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D439A7.F4A6E8A6@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Just barely hear you.... AMEN!!!!! You've just become my new best friend! I love ya man! -A Erik J. Chuss wrote: > > I'm really very sorry but I have to disagree with everyone here who is saying > ICHY isn't worthy of the time given it on the album (or something like that). > The song is GENIUS, pure GENIUS! If you were asked (by the Edison Museum) to > write a song for recording on a one hundred year old wax cylinder, I doubt > anyone could come up with the idea of pointing out that a lot of the > communication we have today isn't much better than what was out there a hundred > years ago, (i.e. the wax cylinder) and then work it into a song. IMHO, this is a > fine example of JF at his best. > > Oh yeah, I may have missed this, but did someone say "Careless Santa". I wasn't > paying attention. It is a problem I have had since 3rd grade. > > Erik ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 18:05:44 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D43AB8.4A056001@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Some Cool Facts Oh my goodness. This is the funniest thing. Here's my little story. For one of my classes ( Education 101) I had to meet someone in my class and find out their birthday, then go to the library's microfilm section and find something memorable that happened on their birthday. WELL, no sooner did I get back from my tedious search at the library (the hardest part was finding the roll with this girls birthday on it in a room packed to the brim with drawers of unorganized film) did I get on line and find this link. UGH!!! The frustration!!! Now, if that's not tragic irony, I don't know what is. HUMPH! -A MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > I found the following interesting info on each of the Johns' birthdays at > http://www.dailyglobe.com/day2day.html (you could look up your own birthday > if you want to as well). > > Karen J. Riley > > John Linnell: > > 12 June > > Birthdays: > Anne Frank > John Linnell (TMBG) > Charles Kingsley > Johanna Spyri > Marv Albert > Egon Schiele > James Houston > Chick Corea > Denise Michele (Pb 4/76) > Vic Damone > Rory Sparrow > Uta Hagen > Djuna Barnes > Bobby Sheehan > Priscilla Lane > David Rockefeller > Vera Ralston > Johanna Spvri > Rocky Burnette > Timothy Busfield > Irwin Allen > Reg Presley > George Bush > Len Barry > Roy Harper > Jennilee Harrison > Kenny Wayne Shepherd > Bun E. Carlos > Junior Brown > Rona Jaffe > Anthony Eden > Brad Delp > Grandmaster Dee > Jim Nabors > Victor Allen Blank (1931; Martin Blank's father in 1997 film Grosse Pointe > Blank) > > Holidays: > Magic Day > Ghost in the Machine Day > Helsinki Day (Finland) > St. Leo's Day > Philippines Independence Day > St. Anthony's Eve (Portugal) > Goddess Month of Hera ends > St. Onuphrius' Day (patron of weavers) > National Peanut Butter Cookie Day > > Events: > Baseball invented (1839) > 1st Blood Transfusion given (1667) > Helsinki founded (1550) > 1st Bullfighter killed in the arena > Niagra Falls shut off (1969) > 1st Trapshooting Tournament held > Baseball Hall of Fame established (1939) > 1st Film Documentary finished > Bilbo returned (Hobbit) > Columbus discovered Cuba > Beatles received MBE's (1965) > Gas Mask patented > Jaguar 1st won Le Mans (1951) > Magdalene College, Oxford founded (1458) > Chaco War ended (1930) > Al Capone arrested (1931) > Napoleon Bonaparte excommunicated (1809) > 700 Puritans arrived at Salem (1630) > Virginia Assembley created its own Bill of Rights (1776) > Nelson Mandela sentenced to life imprisonment (1964) > Martin Blank's father born (1931; in the film Grosse Pointe Blank) > Supremes' Back in My Arms reached No. 1 (1965) > Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman murdered, probably by O.J. Simpson > (1994) > David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz sentenced to 6 life sentences, one for each > murder (1978) > Civil Rights lawyer Medgar Evers murdered by segregationists in Mississippi > (1963) > In Loving v. Virginia, US Supreme Court held the 16 states having laws > prohibiting interracial marriages were unconstitutional (1967) > > John Flansburgh: > > 6 May > > Birthdays: > T.H. White > Sigmund Freud > Orson Welles > John McCutcheon > Robert E. Peary > Aram Khachaturian > Ernst Ludwig Kirchner > Willie Mays > Martin Robinson Delany > Rudolph Valentino > Willie Mays > Phoebe Ann Coffin > Daniel Gerber > George Clooney > John Penn > William Daniel Leahy > Gaston Leroux > Maximilien Robespierre > Lori Singer > Grove Karl Gilbert > Dana Hill > Rabindranath Tagore > Stewart Granger > Herbie Cox > Max Ophlus > Emmanuel Celler > Bob Seger > Toots Shor > Weeb Ewbank > Roma Downey > Jimmie Dale Gilmore > Luigi Villoresi > Richard C. Shelby > Tony Blair > Mark Bryan > Henry II > > Holidays: > Enlightenment of the Buddha > National Homebrew Day > International No Diet Day > Beverage Day > Eyvind Kelve (Norse) > Feast of the Fiery Flying Roll > Shepherd's and Herdsman's Day (Bulgaria) > Nurses' Day > Sixth Day of May (Fairy) > St. Ava's Day (patron of children learning to walk) > National Crepe Suzette Day > > Events: > Peter Minuit bought Manhattan (1626) > Sack of Rome (1527) > Refrigerator invented > Lock patented > Mile 1st run in under 4 minutes (1954) > Zonker retired from tanning (Doonesbury) > W.P.A. established (1935) > Hindenburg dirigible exploded (1937) > Crazy Horse surrendered, giving up Nebraska (1877) > Babe Ruth hit his 1st Home Run (1915) > 1st International Boxing Match held (1733) > Yale Lock patented (1851) > Battle of Wounded Knee (1973) > Arkansas seceded from the Union (1861) > 1st Shots fired in Cod War (1959) > FCC gave TV Channel 1 to the US military > Hitler Diaries announced as fakes (1983) > Elizabeth Taylor married Nicky Hilton (1950) > Works Progress Administration created (1935) > Chinese Exclusion Act passed (1882) > 1st Postage Stamp issued (UK Black Penny; 1840) > David Duchovny & Tea Leoni married (1997) > Mindy 1st kissed Mork (on Mork & Mindy; 1980) > US Supreme Court established the ludicrous "separate but equal" doctrine in > transportation (1896) ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:02:06 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Some Cool Facts In a message dated 9/6/99 6:03:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, spruilla@epix.net writes: << Oh my goodness. This is the funniest thing. Here's my little story. For one of my classes ( Education 101) I had to meet someone in my class and find out their birthday, then go to the library's microfilm section and find something memorable that happened on their birthday. WELL, no sooner did I get back from my tedious search at the library (the hardest part was finding the roll with this girls birthday on it in a room packed to the brim with drawers of unorganized film) did I get on line and find this link. UGH!!! The frustration!!! Now, if that's not tragic irony, I don't know what is. HUMPH! -A MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > I found the following interesting info on each of the Johns' birthdays at > http://www.dailyglobe.com/day2day.html (you could look up your own birthday > if you want to as well). > > Karen J. Riley >> Ooooh...that's a shame! If it makes you feel any better, I did send the link out as soon as I found it. One of those bad timing days, I guess. I can appreciate the disorganized pile of microfilm...truly hell on earth for library research. I'm going to be doing that soon enough, going back to the NYC Archives...pray for me, that my patience holds out, and that I return victorious, with much new family info. The lobby of the building looks like the set for Birdhouse In Your Soul...I'm going to find out on my return visit if the building they filmed it in is next door, as I think it might be...I'm not sure, so I want to check it out for myself while I'm there. Karen "I'll be the one banging her head on the microfilm machine" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 20:08:10 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D4576A.3FF8BDEC@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Some Cool Facts Well, good luck then. I hope you find what you're looking for, in all aspects. -A MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 9/6/99 6:03:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, spruilla@epix.net > writes: > > << Oh my goodness. This is the funniest thing. Here's my little story. For > one of my classes ( Education 101) I had to meet someone in my class and > find out their birthday, then go to the library's microfilm section and > find something memorable that happened on their birthday. WELL, no > sooner did I get back from my tedious search at the library (the hardest > part was finding the roll with this girls birthday on it in a room > packed to the brim with drawers of unorganized film) did I get on line > and find this link. UGH!!! The frustration!!! Now, if that's not tragic > irony, I don't know what is. HUMPH! > -A > > MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > > > I found the following interesting info on each of the Johns' birthdays at > > http://www.dailyglobe.com/day2day.html (you could look up your own birthday > > if you want to as well). > > > > Karen J. Riley > >> > Ooooh...that's a shame! If it makes you feel any better, I did send the link > out as soon as I found it. One of those bad timing days, I guess. I can > appreciate the disorganized pile of microfilm...truly hell on earth for > library research. I'm going to be doing that soon enough, going back to the > NYC Archives...pray for me, that my patience holds out, and that I return > victorious, with much new family info. The lobby of the building looks like > the set for Birdhouse In Your Soul...I'm going to find out on my return visit > if the building they filmed it in is next door, as I think it might be...I'm > not sure, so I want to check it out for myself while I'm there. > > Karen "I'll be the one banging her head on the microfilm machine" Riley > MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <716ed9e9.2505b974@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 20:42:28 EDT Subject: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Does anyone know what were the other songs the Johns performed using the Wax Cylinder at Edison Lab? I know they did 4 songs besides I Can Hear You, but I'm not sure. Flansburgh said they were thinking of releasing them on a special CD (they could have replaced those silly Ape songs on STD, now that i think of it). I think it would be pretty cool to hear those other 4 songs. Does anyone have a recording of them? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990906205234.00963cd0@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 20:56:16 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings I'm going to revive this idea again, and I plan on mentioning it to Flans if I get a chance on Thursday in Charleston: Hello Records was a great idea, but ultimately not financially successful. However, if a Hello-style CD subscription service were set up that solely focused on TMBG material...well, I know I'd subscribe. It'd be a perfect opportunity to release material like the Edison Sessions recordings, which isn't really commercially viable, but fans would snap it up. But think -- Dial-A-Songs, demos, various concerts they've recorded (even if it's not professionally done & spiffed-up like STD), interviews, outtakes...TMBG have such a wealth of this stuff lying around that will probably never be released any other way. Even if they were conservative and only released a disc a quarter, that'd still be spectacular. -Adam, who has lots of things to say to Flans, so ultimately, Flans will be very, very frightened on Thursday night :-) At 08:42 PM 9/6/99 -0400, MrBean43@aol.com wrote: >Does anyone know what were the other songs the Johns performed using the Wax >Cylinder at Edison Lab? I know they did 4 songs besides I Can Hear You, but >I'm not sure. Flansburgh said they were thinking of releasing them on a >special CD (they could have replaced those silly Ape songs on STD, now that i >think of it). I think it would be pretty cool to hear those other 4 songs. >Does anyone have a recording of them? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990906210502.00951620@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:05:35 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Addendum (Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings) Oh, I guess they could also cut down on costs by releasing the aforementioned stuff in mp3 format somehow, but, umm...I'd prefer CDs. :-) -Adam ------------------------------ From: Coolfro38@aol.com Message-ID: <54368059.2505c224@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:19:32 EDT Subject: Re: Addendum (Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings) In a message dated 9/6/99 9:08:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: << Oh, I guess they could also cut down on costs by releasing the aforementioned stuff in mp3 format somehow, but, umm...I'd prefer CDs. :-) -Adam >> Me TOO!!! mP3s SUCK! ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:22:07 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Message-ID: <19990906.212208.-769395.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I'm going to revive this idea again, and I plan on mentioning it to > Flans if I get a chance on Thursday in Charleston: Hello Records was a > great idea, but ultimately not financially successful. just playing devil's advocate here... do you ever think that they haven't released that stuff for a reason? i mean come on, i don't think that if it was extremely important for them to release that material - that it would still be sitting there in the depths of tmbg's vault of unreleased & undiscovered stuff. On top of that, hello records was a pretty dismal business venture. do you not remember how long it took them just to get enough money together to press and then send out all of that stuff... it was frustrating for the subscribers and i'm sure just as much, if not more, for those taht were making them. suggesting that if it was just TMBG material doesn't seem like a *better* idea by any means. I was mostly attracted to hello because it was a variety of artists... those that "no one" had heard of. On top of that, what makes you think that a band that has difficulty signing to a major record label (probably because of the fact that they are no longer selling the huge quantities of albums (i'm not talking about potential here, just fact)) is going to be able to make it a profitable business by selling material that for one reason or another wasn't good enough to make it on to an album before? uhm, i was going somewhere but all in all, i'm not trying to discourage you from presenting the idea to flans or marjorie... I, of, course would be one of the first subscribers again --- i'm just trying to point out the possible faults with the idea (?) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <880b5cd5.2505c440@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:28:32 EDT Subject: Re: Addendum (Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings) In a message dated 99-09-06 21:21:19 EDT, you write: << << Oh, I guess they could also cut down on costs by releasing the aforementioned stuff in mp3 format somehow, but, umm...I'd prefer CDs. :-) >> Doesn't it mention on theymightbegiants.com that you can sign up to be sent MP3's or something? Maybe they already have that idea in mind... who also doesn't like MP3's ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990907013214.97549.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 18:32:13 PDT MrBean43 wrote: >Does anyone know what were the other songs the Johns performed using the >Wax >Cylinder at Edison Lab? I know they did 4 songs besides I Can Hear >You, >but I'm not sure. I think They did "The Edison Museum," "James K. Polk," and "Maybe I Know." I'm not sure if there was another one or not. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: TMBG, The Half-Crap Album ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:46:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: LimeZinger! > Sarah (or someone else who knows), could you please give me the address to > your page with all the pics from TMBG's performances on Brave New World? If > you're online, please mail them to me as soon as you can, to this address ( > not GhostKrabb). Thanks, it would be much appreciated! > If someone could just tell me, too, I'd be fankful ;) Lydia Generously feeding her raging TMBG addiction...since 1837! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990906214433.0095f1d0@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:53:15 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings At 09:22 PM 9/6/99 -0400, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >just playing devil's advocate here... No problem. :-) > do you ever think that they haven't released that stuff for a > reason? i >mean come on, i don't think that if it was extremely important for them >to release that material - that it would still be sitting there in the >depths of tmbg's vault of unreleased & undiscovered stuff. I see your point, and in a way, that sort of gets back to what I want in the first place. A lot of this stuff isn't A-level material...a lot of it's lo-fi, very rough around the edges, etc., and because of that, it has zero chance in the marketplace. Only the most die-hard fans would be interested, and I think that'd probably be the best thing -- die-hard fans who might've been turned off by Hello (I wasn't really interested, although at the time I didn't have a job and couldn't afford it) would be very likely to subscribe, even if the price was somewhat high (say, $40-60 a year). > On top of that, hello records was a pretty dismal business > venture. do >you not remember how long it took them just to get enough money together >to press and then send out all of that stuff... it was frustrating for >the subscribers and i'm sure just as much, if not more, for those taht >were making them. I see your point there, but I think there'd be a larger market (more sales = more money) and they could probably get away with charging more if they catered to a more specific audience. That's just my thought, though -- I don't think anyone could say for sure either way until they actually did it...or did some sort of market research, which would be too pricey for such a venture. ;-) > suggesting that if it was just TMBG material doesn't seem like a >*better* idea by any means. I was mostly attracted to hello because it >was a variety of artists... those that "no one" had heard of. On top of >that, what makes you think that a band that has difficulty signing to a >major record label (probably because of the fact that they are no longer >selling the huge quantities of albums (i'm not talking about potential >here, just fact)) is going to be able to make it a profitable business by >selling material that for one reason or another wasn't good enough to >make it on to an album before? I agree that it probably wouldn't be that profitable, but I think it could break even or make a tiny, somewhat insignificant profit (like, ordering pizzas for the band one night a year). A low run of CDs isn't that expensive, especially if it's on somewhat inexpensive media. Shipping would be a pain, and managing the whole thing would more than likely be more trouble/costly than anything else, but...it'd be a labor of love. (I tried for several minutes to come up with something better than that, without luck. ;-) I guess distribution through mp3 makes more sense than a CD subscription service, but really...ick. I know there are lots of mp3 advocates out there, but there's something so lovely about having a CD that's not gold, blue, green, or purple on the back... ;-) > uhm, i was going somewhere but all in all, i'm not trying to > discourage >you from presenting the idea to flans or marjorie... I, of, course would >be one of the first subscribers again --- i'm just trying to point out >the possible faults with the idea (?) Yeah, and it's not that original an idea, really. I'm sure the Giants have already thought about it and dismissed the idea, but I really, really like it. :-) -Adam ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:42:31 -0400 Subject: TMBG: two things Message-ID: <19990906.214447.-245423.1.gray42@juno.com> So, uh... One night this week (don't remember which), I had a dream about John and John. It was really odd, I was out with them, traveling through the city, and they were lookin' kinda old (and then older still, and then older still). Well, we stopped at a homeless person's campfire spot, and J & J began transforming into miniscule robots (made of plastic). They shrunk out of sight, and I knew I had to run away. Hmmmm Geee, I find that coming across 400 messages in my mailbox can be mighty stressful. Since I delete all my messages, could someone send me the list faq so I can switch to digest. I'm addicted to this funky place, and don't want to leave, so I'll give digest a try before I throw in the towel. I can only check my e-mail durring the weekend, which leaves me little time. thanx in advance Mysterio Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Coolfro38@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:00:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings In a message dated 9/6/99 9:54:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: << I guess distribution through mp3 makes more sense than a CD subscription service, but really...ick. I know there are lots of mp3 advocates out there, but there's something so lovely about having a CD that's not gold, blue, green, or purple on the back... ;-) >> Well, if they just burnt the CDs, which would obviously be a lot cheaper, it wouldn't really be very expensive for them. Plus, there's just something that's irritating about mP3s. Obviously, through mP3 sound it would be cheaper, but I don't think that the price would really make such a difference. Yours sincerely, GW ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990906220319.009567d0@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:04:31 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: The Edision Laboratory Recordings Duplicating on CD-R media (I dunno if it'd technically be called burning; I believe the process is different than burning a CD on a PC), similar to the "We Might Be Giants Too" release or the way many radio promos are handled nowadays would be very, very inexpensive. -Adam At 10:00 PM 9/6/99 -0400, Coolfro38@aol.com wrote: >Well, if they just burnt the CDs, which would obviously be a lot cheaper, it >wouldn't really be very expensive for them. Plus, there's just something >that's irritating about mP3s. Obviously, through mP3 sound it would be >cheaper, but I don't think that the price would really make such a difference. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:06:59 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Message-ID: <19990906.214444.-245423.0.gray42@juno.com> Yes, I know this is freakishly late, but I'm going to college full time, and have a part time job, so I don't have time to check my e-mail. Which will probably mean unsubscribing again, but *sniff* I don't wanna cause the conversations are so much fun anyway... On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:37:05 EDT HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: > > > > I would pay a lot of money to see Linnell in a tight velvet shirt > and vynil > > pants. That would be so funny yet neat at the same time. > > I would pay more! Hell with FUNNY.. that would be downright > mind-boggling! I > think I'd melt into a little puddle of ooze on the floor if I ever > saw him > dressed like that!! One night I lay in bed and thought long and hard about this (I have no life ;), and wondered, what song would best fit this scrumptious outfit? Well, I was listining to John Henry, so now I nominate Stomp Box. Hey, a gal can dream can't she? > > Lydia > Imagining Linnell in such a hot outfit since 1837 ;) Mysterio Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "His father wanted to build a platform, that rotated clockwise, to get the kid to look him in the eye!" --SIRMILLARDMULCH MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:36:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Some Cool Facts In a message dated 9/6/99 4:27:21 PM, MuseKJ@aol.com writes: > found the following interesting info on each of the Johns' birthdays at > >http://www.dailyglobe.com/day2day.html (you could look up your own birthday > >if you want to as well). > > Karen J. Riley > >John Linnell: > >12 June scott thompson of the kids in the hall was born on the same day, same year too. :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990907040647.15976.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: TMBG: TMBG experience... Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:06:47 GMT As I was eating lunch yesterday with my sister, some of her friends, and her BF, I happened to casually mention that I was going to the TMBG concert here in ATL on Friday. BF asked me 'Who are They?' Not wasting a chance to spread the gospel of TMBG, I asked him if he'd ever heard one of their songs (using the best-known ones, in my opinion: Istanbul, Birdhouse, and Particle Man). One of her friends had heard of Them, and asked me 'What was that birdhouse song they did?' Upon hearing that, I told her, and sang a few bars of it as well. Well, the BF asked me again, 'Well yeah, but who's There May Be Giants?' Hearing that, (and thinking, I took off the Intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants) I just started laughing...and couldn't tell him why, as he wouldn't have gotten the joke anyway. The point of the story you have just heard is this : I am going to get my sister to take Flood to the lock-in she's going to on Friday, and get him to listen to it...maybe I'll have another convert! :) Julie, who really shouldn't tell long stories when she's tired... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 01:10:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? > In my own humble oppinion, I think Lincon is probably their best work. I > can't say for sure why, or give adiquite back up for my idea, I just > find that most of my favorite songs are on Lincon. > -A I find the same thing! It's odd, whereas I had to listen to John Henry a few times before I could become obsessed properly (Although I did become nicely obsessed!) The good songs on Lincoln just JUMPED OUT AT ME. 30 seconds into the song I knew it was a winner! Lydia Lovin' Lincoln since 1837! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 01:06:26 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7r295r$2jem$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Montana scratch wrote in message news:37D475BF.E09622C4@the-pentagon.com... > > Now that I've explained this, can someone make an mp3 of Montana? My > soundcard driver is all messed up and doesn't like most programs > anymore... posted to the web by Spencer Owen from the tmbg.org web board: http://members.tripod.com/oscillaten/montana.zip -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:30:14 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D52F86.FDBD0238@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg downhill? My thoughts exactly. I really didn't like John Henry when I first heard it. I didn't like it to the point that I put it away and didn't take it out for a good 3 months. Then one day I got bored and took it out. A couple of songs stuck out so I continued to listen. Now I'm fully and proporly obsessed with JH as well as Lincon. But you're right, the good songs on Lincon jump otu at you, but you really have to listen to JH to like it. -A HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > > In my own humble oppinion, I think Lincon is probably their best work. I > > can't say for sure why, or give adiquite back up for my idea, I just > > find that most of my favorite songs are on Lincon. > > -A > > I find the same thing! It's odd, whereas I had to listen to John Henry a few > times before I could become obsessed properly (Although I did become nicely > obsessed!) The good songs on Lincoln just JUMPED OUT AT ME. 30 seconds into > the song I knew it was a winner! > > Lydia > Lovin' Lincoln since 1837! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199909071601.MAA84204@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 12:02:08 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album At 09:23 PM 9/4/1999 -0400, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >I don't really see where that's coming across. I'm not at all saying anything >about who's more of a fan than anyone else. I am saying, though, that the >blind love for them and believing that they can do no wrong no matter what >isn't necessarily the best thing in the world Okay, but just because I like STD and I love Pet Name and Unforgotten doesn't mean I have blind love and accept everything they do. I like those things because I think they're good, not because "it's TMBG, so it must be good". I happen to enjoy listening to each and every TMBG track I own, and I own darn near all of them. I certainly enjoy some more than others, and there are some that I skip over every now and then (XTC vs. Adam Ant, Piece of Dirt, Forsake) but that doesn't mean I don't like those tracks. If I had to choose between listening to XTC vs. Adam Ant or Genie in a Bottle, I'd choose XVA every time. Basically what I'm trying to say is that while I like every TMBG track in varying degrees, this doesn't mean I have blind love for the band. --Jason-- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburgh "You could say, like, 'Americans are stupid', but that would be incredibly mean." -John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D54F08.B2B439A9@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:44:40 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album Jason Fickley wrote: > Basically what I'm trying to say is that while I like every TMBG track in > varying degrees, this doesn't mean I have blind love for the band. No, but the fact that you posted this means you still missed my point. I'm not talking about you, or just the people who just happen to like every track that currently exists. I'm talking about the people who have said things like "How can you say that they'll ever put out a bad song! Blasphemy!" or some such nonsense. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Chuck_Flowers@gstworld.net Message-ID: <882567E5.0062C5D2.00@notes.gstworld.net> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:57:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: wake up america Looking over KROQ's top 500, I noticed that TMBG was nowhere to be seen. But guess who was: Right Said Fred Days Of The New Third Eye Blind New Radicals Bush Offspring Matchbox 20 Goo Goo Dolls Marilyn Manson Creed Kid Rock Sugar Ray Sublime Candlebox White Zombie Everclear Korn Chumbawumba It appears the people of America still aren't getting it. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <83684060.2506abdd@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:56:45 EDT Subject: Re: wow, you guys. Re: TMBG:The Next Album > "How can you say that they'll ever put out a bad song! Blasphemy!" or some > such nonsense. I've said that a lot! The only difference is, I NEVER say "Blasphemy!" I ALWAYS say "Sacrilege!" And the OTHER only difference is, when I say it I'm usually laughing *<[]:P Lydia Worshipping all things They since 1837! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D5542B.42A7ED71@st.com> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 12:06:35 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: TMBG's album quality since Flood Hello TMBG-ers, BLASPHEMY! BLASPHEMY! GODSLASTERIJ (that's Dutch, in case you care)! No unhallowed infidel may malign the twin Gods of Music, John and John! This John-bashing must stop, or the wrath of heaven will visit terror and destruction upon all! Let John & John grow as artists and human beings. Yes, we all have our favorite albums, and we'd love it if the artists just put out more and more of the same style that we like. But even Joe Jackson has now become bored with writing pop songs. His "Symphony No. 1" is due out this month along with his autobiography "A cure for gravity". Lots of his fans wish (me included) that he would keep writing power-pop/new-wave songs. But it no longer satisfies him. I think that John & John no longer enjoy spending hours working on every song arrangement. They pay Dan, Dan, and Dan good money, and let them help with the arrangements. That probably makes the Dans happy, too. Their musical style is bound to evolve over time, unlike the "only in it for the money" groups who will keep the same formula as long as it pays. Just my 2-cents Russ, the TMBG video bootlegger http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 -- +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Russ Josephson | | XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Design Engineer | | XX STMicroelectronics | | XX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX TPA Group, Data Storage Division | | XXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX VLSI Boulder Technology Center | | XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX 1625 S. Fordham, Suite 500 | | XXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXX Longmont, Colorado 80503 | | XXXXXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX USA | | XXXXXXXXXXXX XXX XXXXXX | |XXXXXXXXXXXXXX X XXXXXX E mailto:Russell.JOSEPHSON@st.com | | X XXXXXX Phone : 1 303 381 3584 | | XX XXXXXX (R) Fax : 1 303 381 3660 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990907195329.41712.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Reviews of State Songs Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 12:53:24 PDT Thanks to some special connections, I was able to find these advance reviews of John Linnell's upcoming solo album. Hope you enjoy them. "This quirky album is the typical quirky work of John Linnnell, a quirky member of the quirky band They Might Be Giants. It's really quirky." --Robert Doofenheimer, The South Cheeseburg Times "I didn't get the jokes. I think I'll stick with Ween." --William Fiddlesticks, The Crackton Press "Linnell is obviously trying too hard. He should go back to pulling songs out of his ass." --Mooshu Pork, The Chinatown Herald "Songs about states? Wow. That's hilarious." --Sam Ellenbogger, The Podunk Press "I heard this John Lennil guy is in a band called There May Be Giants. Who's There May Be Giants?" --Gloria, The Village Voice "What about Careless Santa?" --Random TMBG-List Member -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:43:51 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D57907.D5280471@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Reviews of State Songs FUNNY!!!!! LOL!!! -A Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Thanks to some special connections, I was able to find these advance reviews > of John Linnell's upcoming solo album. Hope you enjoy them. > > "This quirky album is the typical quirky work of John Linnnell, a quirky > member of the quirky band They Might Be Giants. It's really quirky." > --Robert Doofenheimer, The South Cheeseburg Times > > "I didn't get the jokes. I think I'll stick with Ween." > --William Fiddlesticks, The Crackton Press > > "Linnell is obviously trying too hard. He should go back to pulling songs > out of his ass." > --Mooshu Pork, The Chinatown Herald > > "Songs about states? Wow. That's hilarious." > --Sam Ellenbogger, The Podunk Press > > "I heard this John Lennil guy is in a band called There May Be Giants. > Who's There May Be Giants?" > --Gloria, The Village Voice > > "What about Careless Santa?" > --Random TMBG-List Member > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <55a0b499.2506d5b4@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:55:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Reviews of State Songs Wow! ROFL! How can I describe that funny review? Let me see.. It was very quirky! Lydia Snickering at her own horrible jokes since 1837! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <392117541.936750280382.JavaMail.root@web03_mc.mail.com> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:24:40 -0400 (EDT) From: atomic worm Subject: TMBG: TMBG Videos. now that the video comp "direct from brooklyn" has been released, i was wondering what specific video's you thriving tmbg fans are enjoying most? Let there be some unity of our righteous selves in this time of hardship. i have to go with "dr worm" as my favorite, for several reasons. first of all, the quality of editing and overall production is much better than on any of the previous videos. the black and white only enhances the theyness of the whole thing, bringing back to mind "don't let's start" and "purple toupee" that we loved in our youth. the quirky, wacky, sexy antics of the john's continues without duress in this video. many may tire of the weird dance numbers (choreography!) that the boys come up with, but i can't get enough of it. the quest appearance of mono puff's dj ***** spicy was hilarious. and of course, the beautiful, unequivocal john linnell did what he does best: lathered cute all over the video. finally, the drummer (dan hickey? it looks kind of like him, but was he on the original recording?) puts for the kind of intensity neccessary for a music video, particularily since we know that he isn't being recorded (i.e. the charged scowl he spits after the a capella dr. worm reintro by linnell). i also thoroughly enjoyed seeing "the guitar" and "the statue got me high" for the first time. i think the guitar comes in second because of the beautiful girl they have in the video, and the *adoreable* eyebrow thing she does when there is a closeup on her face (twice). and flans' stair searching. of course 'don't let's start" "birdhouse" and "puppet head" will always be very dear to me, but i had the first comp, and i watched mtv incessantly whilst in my younger years, so they weren't new to me. anyone else? a bomb was dropped on the worm, and he could play drums. charley hoehnen [drworm@mad.scientist.com] [hoehnen@uwm.edu] __________________________________________________ FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:24:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG: the dans and such Message-ID: <19990907.192411.15886.2.khurby@juno.com> From: abcdef ghijkl mnopqr stuvwxyz do the dans have any song writing to their credits? more specifically, do they do anything for lincoln besides play music? is lincoln all their doing? is lincoln doing anything new? can lincoln do anything while tmbg tours? what about cub? what does monopuff do when tmbg tours? does monopuff do stuff when lincoln does stuff? is monopuff doing anything new? answer me? okay bye? mike k ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:24:03 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the dans and such Message-ID: <19990907.212409.-169447.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> was this e-mail a joke? lincoln broke up. the lead singer (whose name escapes me right now) joined up with one of TMBG's roadies from the last tour (rick rivera) and they started their own band. thus the dans don't interfere with what they're doing. cub broke up long before lincoln ever was in existance. monopuff broke up. oh no wait. monopuff, sporatically throws shows in here and there. not mto mention albums and the such. stay tuned. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D5BCCD.D72743D1@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 21:33:01 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: the dans and such abcdef ghijkl mnopqr stuvwxyz wrote: > do the dans have any song writing to their credits? not that I know of. they are backup musicians. > more specifically, do they do anything for lincoln besides play music? when lincoln existed, they did not. now that lincoln no longer exists, they still do not. > is lincoln doing anything new? lincoln ceased to exist some time last summer. Chris Temple is apparently doing some songwriting and sticking with the same drummer. > what about cub? they broke up on May 15, 1997. > what does monopuff do when tmbg tours? Monopuff does not exist while TMBG are on tour. > does monopuff do stuff when lincoln does stuff? Why wouldn't they? > is monopuff doing anything new? I have no clue. They've put out two albums, which leads me to believe that there may even be more in the works, since they didn't fall apart after one album (like Lincoln did) -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-8 *****************************