Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #21-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 21, Number 9 Thursday, 9 September 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: the dans and such Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. TMBG: Re: TMBG Videos. Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. TMBG: TONIGHT!!!! Candy! Candy! Candy! Candy Butchers...Conan! TMBG: FAQ addition: Samples? Re: TMBG: FAQ addition: Samples? Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. TMBG: those free TMBG mp3s TMBG: Correction: those free TMBG mp3s Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. TMBG: I need some Ideas Re: TMBG: I need some Ideas TMBG: Information on the Mineapolis Show on October 8 TMBG: Oregon Show Re: TMBG: Information on the Mineapolis Show on October 8 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:35:06 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: the dans and such In a message dated 9/7/99 7:29:20 PM, khurby@juno.com writes: >is lincoln all their doing? lincoln was 4 guys... besides dan and dan, there was chris temple, the lead singer, and the drummer i-forget-his-name. >is lincoln doing anything new? lincoln is no more. >what about cub? cub was a band from vancouver (?)... they're also no more. (but they were great too.. definitely check out their cd's as well as lincoln's cd). sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990908013927.26962.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:39:26 PDT atomic worm wrote: >now that the video comp "direct from brooklyn" has been released, i >was >wondering what specific video's you thriving tmbg fans are enjoying >most? I generally prefer the videos in which a lot of stuff happens, and there are a lot of thought-provoking images. "Ana Ng," "Birdhouse In Your Soul," and "The Guitar" all rank pretty high on my list. "Snail Shell" is probably my least favourite, because, well, there's nothing to it. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:11:55 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D5C5EB.C37E6E9D@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Videos. Well, if I were to tell you the videos that I most enjoied, we'd be here all night. Instead, I will tell you the ones that I don't care for as much. "Istanbol" just does not rank well with me. Perhaps because the John's aren't in it physically. Or maybe just because clay-mation frightens me. I also don't really care for "They'll Need a Crane." The professional old guys, as Flan's once called them, also frighten me. I must say, that in "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head" Flans looks mighty fine...doesn't he always? I do like that video, a lot, it was just another opportunity to point out how wonderful Flans is. :o) -A ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <8568357a.2507275d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 22:43:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. > "Snail Shell" is probably my > least favourite, because, well, there's nothing to it. My two favorite parts of Snail Shell are the "Ah"s and in the beginning when John L. sings "I fell out of my right place again" and sticks his tongue all the way out of his mouth to get the L. But maybe that's just me >;) As for the rest of the video, Dr. Worm DEFINITELY!Which is odd, because very little happens. John Linnell just glows in that one :) followed by Ana Ng, Birdhouse, They'll Need A Crane, The Guitar, Purple Toupee, Istanbul, Don't Let's Start... Well now I'm just listing all of them ;) Lydia Being perverted and obsessed (And a good video critic ;) ) since 1837 ;) ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:32:56 EDT Subject: TMBG: TONIGHT!!!! Candy! Candy! Candy! Candy Butchers...Conan! Hello all! Just wanted to tell all em Candy Butchers fans that tonight (7th) on Conan the CB will be making their debut appearance! Shana and my self saw the tapin'! They rocked! Special guess were Martin Short and John Tesh. so...WATCH!!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37D68B88.4425638D@mailandnews.com> Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:15:04 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: FAQ addition: Samples? Hi everybody... it's been a while since I posted. I graduated from college and immediately lost my primary e-mail account a couple months ago, and I'm still in a transitional-non-ISP-havin'-period. I've been reading digests at work, but there's something that's been bugging me enough I thought I'd post from my crappy free email account. So here it is: How about an addition to the tmbg.org FAQ regarding samples used in TMBG songs? I don't know how frequently asked it is, but it bugs the hell out of me that I don't know where some of the sampled bits (especially in the remixes) came from, and surely collectively we can figure them out. There are two explained in the FAQ: Boat of Car- "Daddy sang bass" intro-Johnny Cash, "Daddy Sang Bass" Lady Is A Tramp- "Tramp!"-Otis Redding and Carla Thomas, "Tramp" But we know there are many many more... just look at the Istanbul, Actual Size and World's Address remixes, for god's sake. Here's two I'm sure of: Istanbul (brownsville mix)-samples Kraftwerk's "The Robots", with a weird sound clip I can't describe well (wOOoo... woWOWwo..) Istanbul (brownsville mix)-drum break-De La Soul, "Me Myself & I" Also, there's a bit in The Guitar that sounds like it's from a Bugs Bunny cartoon... the gibberish-speak that Linnell lip-synchs in the video. I'm thinking from "Bugs and Thugs," when Bugs is ordered at gunpoint to "talk" and he, well, speaks like that. Someone said "You're not taping this, are you?" in the Istanbul remix is from a Janet Jackson song, on Rhythm Nation, maybe? Anyway, those are off the top of my head. Surely, we know more, and conscientious faq readers should be informed... Destin oh yeah, check my extremely stagnant (for now) TMBG Visual Discography-http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990908170019.64049.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: FAQ addition: Samples? Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:00:19 PDT Destin Berthelot wrote: >How about an addition to the tmbg.org FAQ regarding samples used in TMBG >songs? > >I don't know how frequently asked it is, but it bugs the hell out of me >that I don't know where some of the sampled bits (especially in the >remixes) came from, and surely collectively we can figure them out. >There are two explained in the FAQ: > >Boat of Car- "Daddy sang bass" intro-Johnny Cash, "Daddy Sang Bass" >Lady Is A Tramp- "Tramp!"-Otis Redding and Carla Thomas, "Tramp" Isn't there a Ramones sample in "See The Constellation" that is also mentioned in the FAQ? >But we know there are many many more... just look at the Istanbul, >Actual Size and World's Address remixes, for god's sake. Here's two I'm >sure of: > >Istanbul (brownsville mix)-samples Kraftwerk's "The Robots", with a >weird sound clip I can't describe well (wOOoo... woWOWwo..) >Istanbul (brownsville mix)-drum break-De La Soul, "Me Myself & I" > >Also, there's a bit in The Guitar that sounds like it's from a Bugs >Bunny cartoon... the gibberish-speak that Linnell lip-synchs in the >video. I'm thinking from "Bugs and Thugs," when Bugs is ordered at >gunpoint to "talk" and he, well, speaks like that. > >Someone said "You're not taping this, are you?" in the Istanbul remix >is >from a Janet Jackson song, on Rhythm Nation, maybe? I think the "edit" might also be from Janet Jackson. I've also heard that "Someone in the club tonight has stolen my ideas" was actually said by John Linnell, although I don't know what the context was. The white tornado dialogue came from an old commercial or something. The reggae bits in "Larger Than Life" were recited by some guys that Joshua Fried hired. I agree that these should probably be mentioned in the FAQ. I also think that something about the Tiny Toons video should be in there, since more people tend to ask about them than about, say, the background vocals in "Dinner Bell." -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:07:52 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D697E8.D5AFD182@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Are you the one that gets all happy over that one camera angle in "Dont Lets Start" of Linnell on the grownd and the camera..well, you know. hehe? We need more shots of Flans from that angle. -A HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > > "Snail Shell" is probably my > > least favourite, because, well, there's nothing to it. > > My two favorite parts of Snail Shell are the "Ah"s and in the beginning when > John L. sings "I fell out of my right place again" and sticks his tongue all > the way out of his mouth to get the L. But maybe that's just me >;) > > As for the rest of the video, Dr. Worm DEFINITELY!Which is odd, because very > little happens. John Linnell just glows in that one :) followed by Ana Ng, > Birdhouse, They'll Need A Crane, The Guitar, Purple Toupee, Istanbul, Don't > Let's Start... Well now I'm just listing all of them ;) > > Lydia > Being perverted and obsessed (And a good video critic ;) ) since 1837 ;) ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:50:37 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. > Are you the one that gets all happy over that one camera angle in "Dont > Lets Start" of Linnell on the grownd and the camera..well, you know. > hehe? We need more shots of Flans from that angle. > -A > That would be me! ::drools:: And the pelvic thrusts part in Puppet Head (Though Flansy is more enthusiastic there ;) ) and the laughing scene in Doctor Worm, and almost EVERY shot in Birdhouse ;) And yes, Flansy is adorable. I love the shot in The Guitar when he's running up and down the stairs and looking around frantically :) Anyone else want to relate their favorite scenes?? Lydia Being perverted and strange since 1837! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 17:16:51 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37D6D243.EC36B393@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: those free TMBG mp3s I was just thinking about those free mp3s that TMBG say they are going to be releasing soon, and my thought is that it might be the Brave New World material. Once the last show has aired there are no concerns on the network about getting ratings (there are going to be any repeats), and since the Brave New World material wouldn't really fit on an album (excepting Older, which I might add has already been given away free at emusic), this would be the most likely material for them to give away. -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 17:20:25 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37D6D319.E2177F@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Correction: those free TMBG mp3s correction to my last post: (there are _not_ going to be any repeats) -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990908213123.95535.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:31:23 MDT Oh gosh, I love them all...but I have to say that John Linnell on the pedastal with the accordian being looked on by the panning camera below (in Statue Got Me High) takes the cake in my book for best overall shot. I have to say that I started liking Hotel Detective a lot more after I SAW it...weird, no? jesSica ~EVERY JUMBLED PILE OF PERSON HAS A THINKING PART THAT WONDERS WHAT THE PART THAT ISN'T THINKING ISN'T THINKING OF~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:06:19 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37D6DDDB.5E65ADD4@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. I LOVE the pelvic thrusts too!!! uuuugggghhhhh. Also in "The Guitar" theres a spot similar to your Linnell camara shot (in DLS) where the Johns are sitting, hunched in chairs, Flans in front, Linnell closer to the back. Everytime I see that I think "Why must the tease me like that." So, now that you all theink I'm psycho, I leave you with this...What would the Johns say if they ever read this conversation? Hmmmmmmmm...? -A HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > > Are you the one that gets all happy over that one camera angle in "Dont > > Lets Start" of Linnell on the grownd and the camera..well, you know. > > hehe? We need more shots of Flans from that angle. > > -A > > > > That would be me! ::drools:: And the pelvic thrusts part in Puppet Head > (Though Flansy is more enthusiastic there ;) ) and the laughing scene in > Doctor Worm, and almost EVERY shot in Birdhouse ;) And yes, Flansy is > adorable. I love the shot in The Guitar when he's running up and down the > stairs and looking around frantically :) > Anyone else want to relate their favorite scenes?? > > Lydia > Being perverted and strange since 1837! ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <1b5697f4.25084262@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:51:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. In a message dated 99-09-08 18:01:21 EDT, you write: << What would the Johns say if they ever read this conversation? Hmmmmmmmm...? >> "Honey... what's the number for the Witness Protection Agency?" ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:28:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Ok, here's a quick rundown of my favorite moments from each video: Dr. Worm: Linnell cracking up (I don't think he's *ever* smiled that wide before), and Introducing Choreography! snail shell: My least favorite video, but I like Linnell's trademark hopping behind his keyboard near the end The Guitar: Laura Cantrell's adorable expressions (definitely crush-worthy if I were a guy), and Flans's lil' pout the first time she sings the chorus :) The statue Got Me High--When Linnell yells something into the intercom (?) and Flans just throws his head back and laughs Istanbul (not Constantinople): The little bouncy guy with the suitcase--I dunno why, but I love him :) And you've gotta admit that paper mache (?) double-headed John is pretty cool Birdhouse in Your soul: The disembodied floating Linnell head, and the part near the end where it looks like Flans comes thisclose to whacking Linnell with his guitar They'll Need a Crane: The old guys! They rock! Also, the bridge (yeah, I know, it's not exactly an original choice, but, well, *sigh*), and the quick close-up of Flans looking confuzzled, hehe Purple Toupee: The shots of the merchandise (I can always see something different) and the opening shot with the big drum :) Ana Ng: The Johns shaking hands with their heads down, and when Linnell comes running up from behind Flans and chomps his teeth. And the famous dance, of course! (she was a) Hotel Detective: Love the animated Johns, and I've gotta say that Flans' hair looks damn good in the live scenes Don't Let's start: No, not *that* shot, but the one right after it when Linnell punches the ground and gives a quick little smile. And any scene where they're prancing around in their big carpet hat thingies Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head: The scene where Linnell puts his hand behind his head and sticks his tongue out, the infamous coffee-spilling scene, and most of all, the neck-jerk thing Flans does at the end--cracks me up every time! and there you have it, ladies and gents Kay, who would like to point out that I didn't forget to capitalize some of her "s"'s, but my "s" key is broken, and I'm too lazy to keep switching back and forth from capital to lower case "s", but I'm not to lazy to type this rambling addendum, go figure ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990909013119.82336.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:31:19 PDT jEsSiCa Schleiger wrote: >I have to say that I started liking Hotel Detective a lot more after I SAW >it...weird, no? No, I feel much the same way. I think the visuals really help the song. (Note that this is one of the few videos that actually has much to do with the song itself.) -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:42:50 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Videos. Message-ID: <19990908.190027.-964193.2.Garrett27@juno.com> << The Guitar: Laura Cantrell's adorable expressions (definitely crush-worthy if I were a guy) >> Dear lord I love those parts!! I'm a guy and I say extremely definitely crush-worthy. *drool* Completely agreed on almost all of the rest. Those parts with the Johns laughing or smiling and hitting the ground and all those little random movements are the best! For Istanbul, I'd go for the car smashing into the building repeatedly. Okay, enough of what I think. Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <3ae84c79.25086d6b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 21:54:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: I need some Ideas In one of my high school classes we have to think of a business name and I came up with a banking business named "They Might be Accountants" (Yes THEY are the presidents of the company. But anyways I would just like to know if your people out there can help think of a TMBG related slogan for a banking/accounting business. Thanx ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990908221927.008a3e10@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:19:27 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: I need some Ideas A line from Don't Let's Start immediately comes to mind: "Wake up and smell the cat food in your bank account." Jeff At 09:54 PM 9/8/99 EDT, Tmbg4life@aol.com wrote: >In one of my high school classes we have to think of a business name and I >came up with a banking business named "They Might be Accountants" (Yes THEY >are the presidents of the company. But anyways I would just like to know if >your people out there can help think of a TMBG related slogan for a >banking/accounting business. Thanx > > -- "I was young and foolish then. I feel old and foolish now." -They Might Be Giants Jeff Roberts President of Foolish Mortal Enterprises Visit schlock.org at http://w3.one.net/~modnar/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199909090315.XAA17665@mcfeely.concentric.net> From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: Information on the Mineapolis Show on October 8 Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 22:05:06 -0500 Tickets go on sale for the Minneapolis sho at the Great Hall. They are $17 and you don't have to be a student to get in. The phone number is 612-6264728. This is all I know for now, this is all I was told, don't shoot me if some info is wrong. ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: TMBG: Oregon Show Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:30:52 -0700 Message-ID: <000001befa73$b84ba1e0$22c76ac6@tooms> okay, i've asked before, but who exactly is going to the portland show at the aladdin? i'd like to meet some listies (i think), so... yeah. email me, y'all. maybe someone could yell something to identify the listies. i suggest either "mike leffel is a hot bastard" or "too drunk to masturbate". :) bridget "hoo-RAY!" guildner bridgie t. "i was a nice girl," she pleaded, "wasn't i?" http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990909041030.42410.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Information on the Mineapolis Show on October 8 Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:10:30 PDT Linda Schultz wrote: >Tickets go on sale for the Minneapolis sho at the Great Hall. There's a Great Hall in my building, so I was thinking that this post was from someone on campus. I wondered why they would be having a Minneapolis show in Indiana, Pennsylvania. Eventually, however, I noticed the "TMBG" in the subject line, and all that good stuff. I really need sleep. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #21-9 *****************************