Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 10 Sunday, 10 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: your racist friend TMBG: The Mailing List Poll Re: TMBG: your racist friend re:TMBG: Lyrics Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs Re: TMBG: your racist friend Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs/Astronaut John Henry? TMBG: Article type thing in the River Front Times. Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs TMBG: who am i? TMBG: House of Blues show TMBG: Linnell solo tour! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19991009061824.27299.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: your racist friend Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 23:18:23 PDT does anyone know if there's a place online where i can hear the bodyjar cover of "your racist friend"? i'd like to hear it. i could go out and buy the single i suppose, but i don't really know anything about bodyjar. besides, i have no money. and if we're going to bring up old recurring threads, what about the simpsons references? my sister spotted on the other night when we were watching a repeat episode. i can't remember what the episode was about, but lisa said something about "the worst minds of my generation, destroyed by madness..." etc. Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ you in the back there, won't you stand up? tell the rest of the world what you're laughing at -- ben folds, "clueless" e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org My webpage, featuring Ben Folds Five and They Might Be Giants: http://fly.to/drpyser ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004f01bf121e$feaaf9c0$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: The Mailing List Poll Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 23:24:51 -0700 Okay everybody I have always been curious who everyone thinks is the best John --- without telling me why. just email me privatly, send me a simple "Flansburgh" or "Linnell" and i will tally up the votes and let you all know. By the way i know some of you may like them both so go ahead and vote for both and it will be a showdown between Flans, Linnell, or both. -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991009062700.11116.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: your racist friend Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 23:26:59 PDT Crystal Cooper wrote: >and if we're going to bring up old recurring threads, what about the >simpsons references? my sister spotted on the other night when we were >watching a repeat episode. i can't remember what the episode was about, but >lisa said something about "the worst minds of my generation, destroyed by >madness..." etc. Probably "Bart vs. Thanksgiving," in which Lisa writes a poem based on Allen Ginsberg's "Howl." If you check the liner notes to John Henry, you'll find that the song "I Should Be Allowed To Think" contains a line from, you guessed it, Allen Ginsberg's "Howl." That episode was first aired before the release of John Henry, too, so it couldn't very well have been a TMBG reference anyway. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <37FEBF95.24925ACD@tc.umn.edu> Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:07:50 +0000 From: Matthew Schempp Subject: re:TMBG: Lyrics Susan Thomas wrote: >>Hi >>Does anyone now where i can get the lyrics for She think's she's Edith >>Head? >>Thanks! These are extremely unofficial...But I think they're accurate. Back in High School knew a girl Not too simple and not too kind we both grew up but I heard she changed from a new-age fan to another kind She thinks she's Edith Head But you might know she's not the accent in her speech she didn't have growing up She thinks she's Edith Head Or Helen Gurley Brown Or some other cultural figure We don't know a lot about It's been years since I moved away but at Christmas I come home And I saw her reflection In the window of a store She was talking to herself Not too simple and not too kind I walked on by It was complicated and it stuck in my mind She thinks she's Edith Head But you might know she's not The accent in her speech She didn't have growing up The accent in her speech She didn't have growing up The accent in her speech She didn't have growing up She thinks she's Edith Head She thinks she's Edith Head, now She thinks she's Edith Head She thinks she's Edith Head, now She's lost her mind! She thinks she's Edith Head She thinks she's Edith Head, now She thinks she's Edith Head She thinks she's Edith Head, now For those who don't know, Edith Head is an influential Hollywood fashion designer. She died in 1982, so it's very clear why the subject of the song isn't Ms. Head. I guess the accent in the song would have to be a snobbish "Hollywood" accent, rather than an east coast accent. Helen Gurley Brown was the editor that made "Cosmopolitan" what it is today. She isn't dead yet, but I can't find anything done by her in the last twenty years. If there's anything I missed, please add what you can/want. MadS PS The show kicked @## last night...biggest conga line I'd ever seen! ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c5e48f4.2530715f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 06:22:23 EDT Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs In a message dated 10/8/99 2:26:01 AM, nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu writes: >JL only has 15 of the 50 states >represented. (16 if you count "Maryland", but it seems to have gotten cut, >for some reason. :( ) Can anyone think of songs for the other 35? I've >got: >California-- "California Dreamin'", by The Mamas And The Papas (there has >GOT to be a better choice than this) sloan's "losing california". :) in addition, thrush hermit - "north dakota" liz phair - "south dakota" ...hm. that's all i can think of off the top of my head. sarah ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <0.9327991.2530c8eb@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 12:35:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: your racist friend I remember last year in Ap American History, a group was doing a "leap" which is they decorate the room like a specific time period and put a skit together and talk about the time period like we're there (very neat, I got to be in the '30's one) Anyways, I can't remember which gorup it was..I think it was either the 50's or the 60's I don't know exactly, but for their poetry section they read "Howl". My friend who was sitting next to me turned to me and said "Its just like that They Might Be Giants song!" I had just lended John Henry to him. It was neat. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c8b02610.2530c996@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 12:38:46 EDT Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs/Astronaut John Henry? In a message dated 10/9/99 6:23:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: << >California-- "California Dreamin'", by The Mamas And The Papas (there has >GOT to be a better choice than this) >> How about R.E.M.'s "I Remember California" On an altogether different note: I was watching the 1968 movie "Countdown" on TV yesterday, about the US wanting to get a man on the moon before the "evil-empirish" Eastern Europeans do, right around the time of the Apollo mission kickoff -- James Caan and Robert Duvall star in it (looking very young indeed)...and in one scene, the American astronauts are at this party, and there's this guy there, strumming a guitar, and singing this song about John Henry going up into space. I thought of a combination of Apollo 18 and John Henry all of a sudden. I think it was on American Movie Classics, I think... I'm not sure if it's playing again anytime soon. Karen "I also heard the Zombies' version of The Butcher Song that TMBG covered last night, purely by chance...I really loved it" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 12:56:10 -0500 From: Laura Message-ID: <37FF81B9.55C31350@connectria.com> Organization: no thank you Subject: TMBG: Article type thing in the River Front Times. Hooray! This is my first time ever finding an article! I cut it outta the paper, but it's online as well. Go Here: http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/current/soundchecks3.html Laura -- "What's the matter, someone steal the surprise from your cereal?" Too late or soon to make noise about love and there's no time for sorrow Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomorrow ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <0.b6c2c455.25310080@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:33:04 EDT Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs How about California Girls by David Lee Roth (The blond that ruined Van Halen) Daivd "I love MF" Schmidt ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:38:52 -0400 Subject: TMBG: who am i? Message-ID: <19991009.163852.-171945.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> ok so for all that have been bugging me for about the past, uhm, 5 years to get a pic of myself on the internet - i've given in. This is mostly for all of the people that want to meet up with me at the bowery ballroom shows... so there ya go: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/jordan.html i can pretty much guarnatee you that i'm not that red in real life. something about the scanner or something made my hair and face look a lot redder/pinker than they are but come on... ok well then - any questions, comments, rude remarks, etc can all be made to me directly :D anyways, if you're gonna be at the shows - come say hi! :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001b01bf1298$8e57a220$a2540418@ocnsd1.sdca.home.com> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: House of Blues show Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 13:55:01 -0700 I thought it was hilarious when Linnell was introducing 'It's so Loud in Here' and he was saying how "its never been released but becuase of all the bootlegs out there I find you lip syncing along even though its never been released, damn you!" and its so true, when i was at the vegas show i wanted to sing along with 'clyclops rock' and 'its so loud in here' but then i felt kinda guilty about it but then i saw others and so i went ahead but i kept getting the feeling Linnell was looking at me....... -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 00:00:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: Linnell solo tour! Message-ID: http://www.tmbg.com/news/music.html John Linnell's first full-length solo release, "State Songs", contains 16 songs about beloved American states. Songs featured include "Oregon", "Montana", and "South Carolina". Mr. Linnell will be touring in New York, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco in November and December- be sure to catch his show! -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-10 ******************************