Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 15 Friday, 15 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: lockergnome TMBG: Re: anti-britney spears manifesto, not very TMBG related at all, but TMBG: What instruments do They play? REALLY NOT TMBG!!! Re: TMBG: Re: anti-britney spears manifesto, not very TMB Re: TMBG: Re: Cleveland: the other white meat Re: TMBG: What instruments do They play? Re: TMBG: Re: Cleveland: the other white meat TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows TMBG: would you come to OHIO if you were Them? TMBG: Bowery Ballroom Policies Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? TMBG: Beatles covers Re: TMBG: What instruments do They play? Re: TMBG: Beatles covers NON-TMBG: Ringo Who? Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? TMBG: Re: What instruments do They play? Re: TMBG: Re: Cleveland: the other white meat Re: TMBG: Re: Cleveland: the other white meat Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? Re: TMBG: MP3's and the Linnell interview Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows TMBG: state songs Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows Re: TMBG: state songs Re: TMBG: What instruments do They play? Sorta-TMBG: Natalie Merchant Re: Sorta-TMBG: Natalie Merchant Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19991014150024.93858.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: TMBG: lockergnome Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:00:23 PDT Lockergnome Man Chris Pirillo is a TMBG fan. Also a Weird Al fan. But look, he incorporated it into the newsletter! ------------- FONT: X-spiralmental [36k] http://www.mcaf.com/mcfontsy/xspiralmental.zip http://www.mcaf.com/mcfontsy/spiral.html The scientists over at the McFontsy Institute of Higher Font Facing have come up with a new experiment. This time, they'd like to see if the spiraling shape will make you go insane. This dingbat carries with it several dangerous characters, although only one of them will make you go nuts. I hope you'll be cashewed, braziled, or almonded, because those are my favorites. Make sure you're salted, too. Look at all the pretty shapes... they're so mesmerizing. It looks like a nice font too. I'm going to download it. ~~~~~~~ -KeembearLEE "We could make sweet seedless grapes." http://get.to/crushme ~~~~~~~ There's a place for those who love their poetry... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:44:32 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <38060870.235E03B7@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: anti-britney spears manifesto, not very TMBG related at all, but Uuuuuhhhh, I don't care for Britney Spears either, but this was a rather long-winded e-mail. I'm all for womens rights and such, lord knows, I'm a woman, but theres a fine line between womens right and bitching about it. Britney Spears is what, 17 years old? She's a one hit wonder that will be soon joinging the likes of New Kids On The Block (who I loved in the 5th grade) Let it go. Let the little girl make her silly mistakes, and have cylicone leak into her body. "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude, don't complain." -Maya Angelo -A ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991014172336.38082.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: What instruments do They play? Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:23:36 PDT Yes, I know we've been over this topic before, but it's been a while, and there isn't much else going on here, and I was thinking about this subject this morning, so I'm going to revive it. What instruments do the Johns play? So far, I have: Linnell: Keyboards, accordion, saxophone (baritone and bass; possibly others), clarinet, guitar, bass guitar, banjo, fiddle Flansburgh: Guitar, piano (and probably other keyboards), autoharp, harmonica, drums Any additions to (or subtractions from) these two lists? -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001401bf166e$10490de0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: REALLY NOT TMBG!!! Re: TMBG: Re: anti-britney spears manifesto, not very TMBG related at all, but Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:00:55 -0600 I agree with Adrienne on this one...but that's not why I'm writing this email. As a Materials Engineer, I feel obligated to share the following: Silicon Elemental form. (Si - element) Silica Oxide. (Si O2 - ceramic) Silicone Organic compound. ([-Si 2CH3 O-]n - polymer) <=== Implant material Silicate Mix of oxides. (Na2 O + Si O2 - ceramic, for example) Silicide Intermetallic. (Mo Si2 - intermetallic, for example) There are more, but I'm sure no one's reading this anyway, so I'm not gonna put them. Ha! :0) Anyway, you can all go about your business again. The Materials rant is over. Signed, Nick "can you tell I had a test today?" Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ----- Original Message ----- From: Adrienne Spruill To: Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 10:44 AM Subject: TMBG: Re: anti-britney spears manifesto, not very TMBG related at all, but > Uuuuuhhhh, I don't care for Britney Spears either, but this was a rather > long-winded e-mail. I'm all for womens rights and such, lord knows, I'm > a woman, but theres a fine line between womens right and bitching about > it. Britney Spears is what, 17 years old? She's a one hit wonder that > will be soon joinging the likes of New Kids On The Block (who I loved in > the 5th grade) Let it go. Let the little girl make her silly mistakes, > and have cylicone leak into her body. > "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change > your attitude, don't complain." -Maya Angelo > -A > ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.6030666b.253776a5@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:10:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cleveland: the other white meat staib@stratos.net writes: << Part of the reason they don't come to Cleveland often is because there never have been any radio stations around here that gave TMBG a lot of airplay. Now, of course, there are none, with 107.9 changing over to the R&B format... making me wonder who is going to sponsor their next concert here, if there is one. WENZ used to have a DJ or two who either listed TMBG as their favorite band or their favorite concert, so it sucks that it's gone now! >> I've often wondered if it would be any use to send WQAL 104.1 a tape or CD of TMBG labeled "Play this!". They are a kind of Top 40 station, but they do some 80's and earlier 90's stuff, too. I'm guessing I'd get some kind of leter back saying: "Thank you for your sugestion. We are currently considering yadda yadda yadda...". Ideas, anyone? Work with me, people! Rick, the loud left-handed Clevelander ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:04:48 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: What instruments do They play? Message-ID: <19991014.121223.-872633.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: Capn eriKa rae Nafan Mullick: >saxophone (baritone and bass; possibly >others), Judging from the sound on some albums, he probably also plays alto and/or tenor - at least on a few songs, if not so much anymore since the addition of Kurt Hoffman, Frank London, etc., on later works. But one particular song is in mind - She's Actual Size. I'm pretty sure the horns on there are a bari sax, trumpet and what could be trombone or alto sax (it is a trombone on the STD version, I believe, but I'm not so sure about the album version), and no one else is credited to that song, so one of them has to play a trumpet, and possibly trombone. All saxes are generally the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if Linnell has played them all at some point. >clarinet, And bass clarinet. That's all I can think of. ever-sincere, eriKa, who plays bari sax too. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now, and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to saying smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:12:22 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cleveland: the other white meat Message-ID: <19991014.121223.-872633.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: Capn eriKa rae iforgetwhowrotethis: >Now, of course, there are none, with 107.9 changing over >to the R&B format... That was a pretty sad day. I mean, not that I got it very well considering I'm all the way down by Canton, but it was one of the few half-decent stations around here. Bleh. Rick: >"Thank you for your sugestion. We are currently considering yadda yadda >yadda...". "Thank you for you suggestion, but we know that There Must Be Giants is an awful, awful band, and you should be ashamed of yourself for being a fan. >Ideas, anyone? My friend has a radio show at Bluffton College. It doesn't go off campus, but if I gave him a TMBG record and people called in and requested it, he'd play it, because no one ever requests anything. Maybe if we convince Them that They are getting airplay on the radio in northern Ohio (nevermind if anyone hears it...), They'll decide to come to Cleveland. ^_^ ever-sincere, eriKa, who is right-handed, not from Cleveland, but loud when she wants to be. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now, and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to saying smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:19:32 GMT From: aeg42@optonline.net (AndrewG) Message-ID: <38062d7b.414940234@news.optonline.net> Organization: Optimum Online Subject: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) wrote: > I'll have to see how late the Wednesday show starts and if it starts >late enough I'll run down to the Mercury Lounge after the show and buy >tickets for the next night (it's a stretch but many times TMBG don't >go on until 10:45-11:00)...Lordy I think I'm getting an ulcer! > >BTW, how long is your midterm and how far are you from the venue? If >you're in Manhattan and you're test is only 2 or even 3 hours long you >could almost definitely make it in time for TMBG's set... Well, if They don't start playing until after 10, I could very possibly make it. My midterm shouldn't last past 8pm, but I'm coming from Long Island, so... What time are They scheduled to start playing, do ya think? (Forget the opener... it'd be nice to see them too, but it's not necessary for me. TMBG, on the other hand, is LIKE A DRUG!!! I CAN'T GET ENOUGH!!!) -Andrew ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:49:17 -0400 From: ELIAS Subject: TMBG: would you come to OHIO if you were Them? Message-id: <0FJL00734Z2XR9@oberlin.edu> concerning the barren wasteland of TMBG (and just about everything else) that is cleveland: i tried to convince the concert board here at the college to bring TMBG, because They were on tour just now, but they said they didn't want to because they "didn't think anyone listened to Them anymore."!?!?!?! so all of you who live around here and would come to a TMBG show in oberlin (about 45 min south west of cleveland) should write to me so i can forward it to the concert board and maybe get results next time around. also, if any of you cleveland area / ohio fans are anywhere near oberlin (living or driving), you should tune in to our campus station-- WOBC 91.5fm. I'm not sure how far away you can hear the station, but it is sort of strong (and we are upgrading to online broadcasting this semester too). DJs here play TMBG fairly frequently, compared to commercial stations, and anyone whose format They fit into would gladly play requests. you can call with requests at 440.775.8139. the station broadcasts 24/7, but there won't always be shows who'll play TMBG. i have a show, but unfortunately (in this context at least) it is an all beatles show, so i don't ever play any TMBG (anyone know of them ever doing a beatles cover? i'd love to get my hands on a copy of that if such a thing exists!). anyhow, you should listen to my show anyhow, it is on mondays at 5-6 pm, so you can listen when you pass by oberlin on your way home from work or something. (we're on break next week, so don't come home from work until the week after) ELIAS excited to go home to vermont for fall break, though They play in vermont even less than in cleveland (only twice since '94, i think, and i missed BOTH) emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo "i used to think that the human brain was the most fascinating part of the body, but then i thought... look what's telling me this!!!" -emo phillips emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991014200002.72215.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristin ." Subject: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom Policies Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:00:01 EDT Do they allow cameras? What time do the doors open for each show? Thanks! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199910142000.QAA10392@orford.valley.net> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:00:28 -0400 Subject: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? From: "Robert L. Grabill II" I haven't posted in about three years. I'm not sure why, but you know. I didn't. Nonetheless, here's thing the thing you need to understand Radio Stations, as I work for one. With the exception of College Stations, most radio stations have a very specific format that they will stick to 100% of the time, and if they don't play TMBG now, they probably never will unless TMBG has a hit, which they won't. The only reason non-oldies station play "old" songs (read: 80s) is usually because of camp value. (Read: Come on Eileen) No TMBG song has camp value. Stop 00 people on the street. Play a segment of Particle Man or Istanbul. Not even ten will be able to tell you name and artist. The decision of what is played on the air falls squarely on the shoulders of the production manager, and let me tell you from personal experience, it is not a wise idea to tell a station manager what to play. Station managers don't like it when DJs tell them what they should add to a playlist. They'll like it even less if a fan calls up and tells them what they should play. So don't bother radio stations and tell them to play songs by a band that nobody has heard anything mildly successful from in at least 7 years, but really more like nine. -Rob ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991014164129.0095dba0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:43:18 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? At 04:00 PM 10/14/99 -0400, Robert L. Grabill II wrote: >Nonetheless, here's thing the thing you need to understand Radio Stations, >as I work for one. With the exception of College Stations, most radio >stations have a very specific format that they will stick to 100% of the >time... Although some college radio stations suck and won't play TMBG. The music director of the station where I DJ, WSBF, says TMBG is "a household name" and therefore shouldn't be played on college radio. (scoffs) However, I just had "State Songs" added to heavy rotation, so there's some karma-type payback soemwhere. Um, yeah. -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:53:43 GMT Message-Id: <199910142053.UAA44802@mail.oh.freei.net> From: kel7 Subject: TMBG: Beatles covers >i have a show, but unfortunately (in this context at least) it is an all >beatles show, so i don't ever play any TMBG (anyone know of them ever doing >a beatles cover? i'd love to get my hands on a copy of that if such a thing >exists!). They have done a live cover of Yellow Submarine - it's on the second Stumpbox compilation. It wouldn't be of any use to you though, unless someone managed to get a better recording of it :( ____________________________________ Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org ____________________________________ Get 100% FREE Internet Access from Freei.Net. 100% FREE, 100% Anonymous, 100% Jam Packed with features. Check us out at http://www.freei.net. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <380646F5.3B5D1F77@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:11:17 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: What instruments do They play? Capn eriKa rae wrote: > Judging from the sound on some albums, he probably also plays alto and/or > tenor - at least on a few songs, if not so much anymore since the > addition of Kurt Hoffman, Frank London, etc., on later works. But one > particular song is in mind - She's Actual Size. I'm pretty sure the horns > on there are a bari sax, trumpet and what could be trombone or alto sax > (it is a trombone on the STD version, I believe, but I'm not so sure > about the album version), and no one else is credited to that song, so > one of them has to play a trumpet, and possibly trombone. All saxes are > generally the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if Linnell has played them > all at some point. actually, the are no live brasses on Apollo 18 are played by Frank London in The Guitar. Actual Size and Statue both have just saxophone and are modified for their live versions, and the horns in Spider and Hall of Heads are synth and/or sampled. Flansburgh, though, does play trumped, but not consistently enough to use his own playing for albums. During one of their tours many years ago, he would play two trumpets simultaneously during the bridge of Lie Still, Little Bottle. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "You knew it was true, when I held you, there were no secrets. I believed it." -Moxy Fruvous, _I Will Hold On_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991014211305.21941.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Beatles covers Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:13:05 PDT Amy wrote: > >i have a show, but unfortunately (in this context at least) it is an all > >beatles show, so i don't ever play any TMBG (anyone know of them ever >doing > >a beatles cover? i'd love to get my hands on a copy of that if such a >thing > >exists!). > >They have done a live cover of Yellow Submarine - it's on the second >Stumpbox >compilation. It wouldn't be of any use to you though, unless someone >managed to get >a better recording of it :( I think They might have also covered "Let It Be" at one point, but, once again, there wouldn't be any high-quality recordings of it. Incidentally, does your Beatles show allow covers of Beatles songs, or just stuff performed by the Beatles themselves? -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:37:33 -0400 From: ELIAS Subject: NON-TMBG: Ringo Who? Message-id: <0FJM0028S43CR6@oberlin.edu> >Incidentally, does your Beatles show allow covers of Beatles songs, or just >stuff performed by the Beatles themselves? my show, called "Ringo Who?" (for some reason that no-one remembers), is made up mainly of beatles songs and post-beatle solo careers. i do play covers though-- i have a "cover of the week" every week and occasionally throw in more. i've also been known to play beatle related, non-cover songs as well (i.e. barenaked ladies "be my yoko ono", and i played weird al's "this song is just six words long" on al's birthday last year) ELIAS still looking to work TMBG into my show. i just about died to hear the npr linnell interview mp3 with TWO beatles references, but am too lazy to burn it to cd so i can play it emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo "i used to think that the human brain was the most fascinating part of the body, but then i thought... look what's telling me this!!!" -emo phillips emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <0.1a4f7dbe.2537a8f9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:45:29 EDT Subject: Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? In a message dated 10/14/99 4:43:09 PM, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: >>Nonetheless, here's thing the thing you need to understand Radio Stations, >>as I work for one. With the exception of College Stations, most radio >>stations have a very specific format that they will stick to 100% of the >>time... > >Although some college radio stations suck and won't play TMBG. hehe, ironically, i just turned the radio on before putting in a cd, and "dr. worm" was ending. maybe y'all should just move here. ;) nah... but you can listen to this station in real audio.. http://wber.monroe.edu you know, if you're really itchy for a station that plays tmbg. sarah n.p. treble charger "maybe it's me" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:57:07 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <380651B3.6B1012E2@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: What instruments do They play? I've never actaully seen Linnell play any sax other than bari and bass but, if you can play one sax, you can play them all. The fingerings are the same on all saxes. :o) -A > Linnell: Keyboards, accordion, saxophone (baritone and bass; possibly > others), clarinet, guitar, bass guitar, banjo, fiddle ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <0.38486152.2537c818@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:58:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cleveland: the other white meat In a message dated 10/14/99 3:40:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hotel_detective1@juno.com writes: << Maybe if we convince Them that They are getting airplay on the radio in northern Ohio (nevermind if anyone hears it...), They'll decide to come to Cleveland. ^_^ >> I'll take it a step further. I can make my own radio station! I'll go to Radio Shack, buy a wireless FM frequency microphone, and play TMBG songs into it from my boom box, add some commercials that I tape from other stations, make some promos ("Then" Fridays, 7-12), and broadcast it 24/7! That'll get them to Cleveland! I can just imagine: "Oh yeah, Mr. Flansburgh, I own my on radio station. It's WMBG (We Might Be Giants), 90.5 (or something like that) FM. It can be heard in extreme southeastern Shaker Heights, northern Warrensville Heights, and under ideal conditions, parts of Beachwood and Cleveland, Ohio! Yes, Mr. Linnell, we ONLY play TMBG, with the occasional State Song or Mono Puff. So you can come to Cleveland? Great." The concert would be held in the nearby schoolyard, and my dad would provide the sound. It would be a, blast and critics would call it "one of the greatest concerts of all time." Of course, to maintain the radio station, I would have to give up things like food, sleep, school, friends, a life, etc. I'm still thinking about it though. Maybe not. How about all us Clevelanders just go to Brooklyn, get down on our knees, and beg to the Johns. It might just work. Well, my file's done, so I can stop doing this and get on with my life. Later! Rick, the left-handed Clevelander Flans fan! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991015001058.70348.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cleveland: the other white meat Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:10:58 PDT Rick wrote: >Maybe not. How about all us Clevelanders just go to Brooklyn, get down on >our >knees, and beg to the Johns. It might just work. If you're all going down to Brooklyn anyway, why don't you just attend a concert there? -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <0.3223825a.2537d03a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:32:58 EDT Subject: Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? Not all radio stations are like that. Here in Rochester we have a station called WBER. Last year when Dr. Worm came out, it was really popular. It ended up being the 7th most popular song of the year, so yeah. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:43:39 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <380694DB.89E3FE47@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: Mostly-TMBG: Make your station play TMBG? My high school plays that station over the radio during Senior Study Hall, which was in the cafeteria. I now work at my old school and heard it while I was teaching across the hall. It totally took me by surprise, but was very cool. Rochester area kicks ass! -A > Not all radio stations are like that. > Here in Rochester we have a station called WBER. > Last year when Dr. Worm came out, it was really popular. It ended up being > the 7th most popular song of the year, so yeah. > -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d8bef269.2537f38a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:03:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: MP3's and the Linnell interview In a message dated 10/13/99 1:21:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, zaph@fruhead.com writes: > The thing I find strange is that he has a slight lisp that can never be heard > when he's singing. > I can disprove this. A few times I have heard him saying "s" as a sort of soft "sh" noise. "Lift that fork, eat that shnail... Garshon..." etc. But I'm not putting him down, actually I love that man's speech patterns :) Lydia Aaaahhhh, bliss. My favorite subject!! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.f586ca6a.2537f447@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:06:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows In a message dated 10/13/99 2:35:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, aeg42@optonline.net writes: > >Son of a bitch!!!! They finally do another Then show and this > >is the one show out of the four that I can't make...If I hadn't > >already bought my Kristin Hersh tickets I might've skipped out on her > >that night...damn damn damn!!!!!! Why couldn't she play a 7pm show on > >Thursday instead or Friday(or better yet both nights)? NOOOO, she's > >got to play at 9pm on Thursday and make me miss a TMBG show I've been > >waiting for forever....GRRRRRRRRR. OK, I'm calm.... > > I know! UGH! I've got a midterm at 7pm that nite! Blah... is > someone gonna tape these shows?? > > -Andrew DAMN you people and your "Ohhh, whine whine whine! I can only make three of the four shows, whatever will I do?" I can only see ONE!!! Lydia Hating her TMBG life right now ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:32:46 -0400 From: ELIAS Subject: TMBG: state songs Message-id: <0FJM005MAKJEV2@oberlin.edu> hey all-- my girlfriend just discovered a copy of state songs in the "new" section of our radio station!! unfortunately i am working so i asked her to just play the whole cd over the air, but her show is not the right format and she is perhaps a little more sensible and significantly less obsessed than i... i did convince her to play one song, though. she chose oregon, so i am listening to it now. this may be worth skipping the rest of my work to go up to the station and listen to it all... hooray for WOBC, who usually never get good new releases! ELIAS emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo "i used to think that the human brain was the most fascinating part of the body, but then i thought... look what's telling me this!!!" -emo phillips emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:00:04 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: News about the Bowery Ballroom shows Message-ID: <19991015.000005.-89366829.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> Don't know if this has been announced here but it looks like the last bowery show is sold out. "take it easy, Jordan" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/3404/frustuff.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991015000120.0095ce10@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:06:37 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: state songs At 11:32 PM 10/14/99 -0400, ELIAS wrote: >my girlfriend just discovered a copy of state songs in the "new" section of >our radio station!! I found it in the "to be reviewed" bin yesterday, and I listened to it a couple of times tomorrow. It's very good, though I wouldn't say it's great. As you'd expect from a solo album from a keyboardist, it's much heavier on piano/synth than guitars, and I prefer the combination more. I'd probably be a lot more excited if it were a double CD with all 50 states represented. :-) Or, at the very list, if the songs from the EP were re-recorded. (They do sound remastered, though, and Nevada especially sounded really different, but I haven't listened to the original in a while.) It really is good, and it comes highly recommended. I don't think it'll be something that stays in my CD player for weeks on end, though. It'll be added to heavy rotation at WSBF on Sunday; if you want to listen, go to http://wsbf.clemson.edu/ I will *definitely* be playing it on my show on Wednesday from 11 PM - 1 AM EST. If you want to call or anything (843-656-WSBF), I'd be thrilled. :-) -Adam ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:08:30 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: What instruments do They play? Message-ID: <4162-3806A8BE-7862@storefull-247.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, I remember from the last time this was discussed that Linnell plays bass (guitar) and Flansy plays trumpet. Your's...somewhat, Dexter M. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:35:12 -0700 Subject: Sorta-TMBG: Natalie Merchant Message-ID: <19991015.003521.-924685.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf grrrr!!!! i tuned into the tonight show to see graham maby playing with natalie merchant. she did hands down the worst cover of david bowie's "space oddity" ever! oh well, at least tori's on conan. so when is graham meeting back up with the johns? i thought he was touring with them already. i miss his laid-back bass styling and back-up vocals. adam * ------------------------------------------------------- "such heroic nonsense." ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991015044854.7616.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: Sorta-TMBG: Natalie Merchant Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:48:54 PDT Adam Schaaf wrote: >so when is graham meeting back up with the johns? >i thought he was touring with them already. i miss >his laid-back bass styling and back-up vocals. He already came and went. Graham took Dan's place during September, but I think Dan is back now. -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-15 ******************************