Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #22-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 22, Number 22 Friday, 22 October 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Setlist for Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, 10/20/99 Semi-TMBG: State Songs Re: TMBG: Linnell's "Tennessee" TMBG: Re: Linnell's "Tennessee" TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day Re: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day TMBG: Friday' bowery show Re: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day Re: TMBG: Friday and Saturday Bowery shows TMBG: TMBG Tattoos TMBG: Cry for Help! Re: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day Re: TMBG: TMBG Tattoos Re: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs TMBG: TMBG in Eurpoean magazine TMBG: Unexpected TMBG sighting of the day Re: TMBG: TMBG in Eurpoean magazine TMBG: Their name Re: TMBG: Their name TMBG: Linnell Tix TMBG: Belated fan story Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.e448a075.25401134@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 02:48:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: Setlist for Bowery Ballroom show, New York City, 10/20/99 Opening show: Loser's Lounge ABBA Tribute...I've never been to one of these before, and I thought it was quite good...you may as well all find out now that I love ABBA quite a lot (I just ordered their box set last week)...Robin Goldwasser sang "Thank You For The Music." Martha Wainwright sang "The Name of the Game." Her voice is absolutely fantastic! TMBG: Drinking Spider James K. Polk She's Thinks She's Edith Head Mr. Klaw Letterbox Narrow Your Eyes Older Twisting Why Does The Sun Shine? (Flans: "copper wire, aluminum wire, silver wire, all kinds of jewelry-making tools...all become a gas" --maybe not exact quote, but that's darn close and of course, "Estrogen, Estrogen, Estrogen, and more Estrogen") The Intro For Shoehorn was Flans mostly yelling: I Hate This Rock Shit! which was followed by "I want to hear the glockenspiel." And during this particular show, they liked to say the f word, a lot. Shoehorn With Teeth Radio They Might Be Giants (full version, after the crowd requested the whole song) Cyclops Rock Birdhouse In Your Soul The Guitar Don't Let's Start ("and I wish they would stop, saying BASS! BASS!"...a reference to Danny Weinkauf's bass-playing being requested a lot by Flans tonight) Pet Name It's So Loud In Here She's Actual Size (Linnell switches to accordion here for the next four songs) She's An Angel Particle Man (he was improvising a good deal with this song tonight, word-wise...saying simply "ack ack ack" a few times, he really wailed on the accordion on this and the next song, he talked of going to see his chiropractor soon after the show) The Famous Polka (instrumental) Dr. Worm (Linnell really seems to enjoy singing "I'm a w-o-o-o-rm, YEAH!" during this song) Encore One: Spy, with Kumbaya, then improv (Linnell conducting the band), then some piano from John Lennon's "Imagine", then more improv Counterfeit Faker, in the dark, with the dummy heads (Flans' dummy had a mustache)...at one point, the dummy heads surrounded Dan Miller while he played Musical Introductions to the members of the band, the crew, the T-shirt guy downstairs New York City Encore Two: Maybe I Know (people were shouting for Istanbul, Flans waved at them, as if to say "Just wait, it's coming") Istanbul (the best version I have ever heard of this yet...this was awesome!): it started out with Dan Miller doing a beauty of an acoustic intro (at one point really strumming hard and fast), which went into the Latin version, which coasted into a hard rock version, then back to the Latin one...it ended in this incredible frenzied way, the likes of which I've never seen...the whole band, especially Dan Hickey was amazing at this point) Ending was one continuous sound by the whole band, while the band members each held up one of their hands (saying "bye"), some people in the audience holding their hands up in reply. Tonight was interesting for me, personally, because I got to meet list members Rob Plass, Amanda (Pookie Luck), and Liz (GoodOmenz). TDK Mike introduced me to all of them, so thanks for that, Mike! After the show, my husband and I went over and shook Robin's hand, telling her that we really loved her performance, that we thought she was great. She said thank you, and was very gracious to us. I got to also spend some time chatting with Operator Dot, who was a pleasure to talk to, as always. She told me Danny Weinkauf and his wife had a son, so congratulations Danny! Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:00:14 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Semi-TMBG: State Songs Message-ID: http://www.50states.com/songs/ And what a cool site this is, too. :) Some good songs (Georgia On My Mind, My Old Kentucky Home... but then those are classics). Some bad songs (my own beloved California has a stinker of a state song--it sounds like every bad barbershop song you've ever heard, only more repetitive). Some peculiar choices ("You Are My Sunshine" for Louisiana?). Some songs have odd titles ("Here We Have Idaho"?? What kind of a title is that?) and some have utilitarian titles ("State Of Maine Song", "Wyoming"). One is even in a furrun language ("Hawai'i Pono'i", and is it just me or does it sound a LOT like the Italian song "Santa Lucia"?). Some hedonistic states have MORE THAN ONE state song; Tennessee, whom no one will ever accuse of not taking this whole state song business seriously enough, has SIX. To bring this back to something semi-on-topic: When I first heard the recording of JL singing "Maryland", I was sure the words were original--they were just too wacky and over-the-top. (If you listen to the recording, the audience laughs when he gets to the part about Baltimore.) But WOW, not only was JL faithful to the original lyrics, he didn't even sing all of them. "Maryland" continues, in the same florid and purple vein (I particularly like the line that goes "Huzzah! She spurns the Northern scum!"). --nicole twn *** "That creaking you hear, it's increasingly clear, is my brain--overload, overload!"--Eddie From Ohio Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun! nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@fruhead.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <380E76DA.828F3338@tc.umn.edu> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 02:13:46 +0000 From: Matthew Schempp Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's "Tennessee" MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > Hi there everybody, > > I was wondering if anyone on here knew that when Linnell read that > Wallace Stevens poem for the state of Tennessee way back at the Mercury > Lounge on Oct. 7, 1995, he was reading a poem entitled "Anecdote of the Jar." > Below is a copy of the poem...I've read a few interps on the poem > online...any of you care to venture a few guesses on it? > By guesses I take it you mean interps. Before I offer mine, I have to ask something...when was the poem written? Not that it really matters, but I'd like to know, and am too frazzled and lazy to do it myself... MadS ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <0.d79474a7.25401f67@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 03:48:55 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell's "Tennessee" MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > Hi there everybody, > > I was wondering if anyone on here knew that when Linnell read that > Wallace Stevens poem for the state of Tennessee way back at the Mercury > Lounge on Oct. 7, 1995, he was reading a poem entitled "Anecdote of the Jar." > Below is a copy of the poem...I've read a few interps on the poem > online...any of you care to venture a few guesses on it? > <> A basic summary of the Poem "The Anecdote of the Jar," and the collection of works it is from, entitled "Harmonium"...by Wallace Stevens. In 1922, Stevens submitted a manuscript of his work to the prestigious firm of Alfred A. Knopf, and the book, entitled Harmonium, was published in September 1923, shortly before his forty-fourth birthday. Harmonium. New York: Knopf, 1923. Expanded edition, 1931. Contains "Anecdote of the Jar," "Disillusionment of Ten O'Clock," "The Emperor of Ice-Cream," "Peter Quince at the Clavier," and "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird." Harmonium was, and remains, one of the strangest volumes of verse ever published in America. In over one hundred and twenty pages, its seventy or so poems (many with lengthy and bizarre titles that often seem to have little or nothing to do with the texts that follow) give not the slightest hint or sense of any element of their author's personal life. French phrases abound, as do nonce and at times nonsense words, as Stevens presents variation after variation on his handful of principal themes--the interplay between reality and our perception of it, the necessity of imagination to transfigure and redeem the drabness of life, the search for other forms of meaning to replace the loss of religious belief. The reader who comes upon this volume today is surprised to find that so many of Stevens' finest and best-known poems appeared in this one collection, which also happened to be his first book. On its original appearance, however, Harmonium attracted relatively little notice, falling as it did into some indefinable region between the plainspokenness of Sandburg and Robert Frost and the high seriousness of Ezra Pound and T. S. Eliot. Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <380EE076.EA41D493@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 02:44:24 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day Today's TMBG Trivia Question: Name two They Might Be Giants songs that make reference to the music of Alice Cooper. (I'm sure you'll get at least one!) -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007b01bf1bab$a9a3b8e0$bf611004@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:04:25 -0400 > Name two They Might Be Giants songs that make reference to the music of Alice Cooper. > >(I'm sure you'll get at least one!) "Alice Cooper was my mom" the secret track from Superfueled Freaksickle is the one NO ONE will remember Brother John Green Jello __________________________________________ NetZero - Defenders of the Free World Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:33:23 EDT Message-Id: <199910210933.AA295895098@megahits.com> From: "Lee Steel" Subject: TMBG: Friday' bowery show Hi everyone. Several of us are meeting before the show, around 5pm, in front of the Bowery Ballroom and then probably walking to the Olive Tree for dinner. If you are interested, meet us there. -Lee (on my way to see Elvis in Boston tonight) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 07:57:48 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day > Name two They Might Be Giants songs that make reference to >the music of Alice Cooper. Two? I only know one - "Why Must I Be Sad?" Flans sings a whole bunch of song titles or something near the end. Spencer. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:04:23 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <380F3987.F51BC62E@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Friday and Saturday Bowery shows I have a tattoo on the back of my hip, of a saxophone. I love it. It's the coollest thing to me. Just thought you'd like to know that. :o) -A HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 10/20/99 9:47:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > spruilla@epix.net writes: > > > wearing the band's shirt to their show is just silly. you'd be know to > > others as "the guy who wore their shirt." you dont want to be "that guy" > > -A > > Or "that girl" :P But I LOVE that huge coffee cup, I LOVE that weirdly > distorted lettering! I want to tattoo that on my ankle for some reason. Odd, > huh? Lucky I don't wanna tattoo it somewhere else ;) > > Lydia > She was an odd child... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991021163414.60064.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "jEsSiCa Schleiger" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Tattoos Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:34:13 MDT >Or "that girl" :P But I LOVE that huge coffee cup, I LOVE that >weirdly >distorted lettering! I want to tattoo that on my ankle for some >reason. >Odd, >huh? Lucky I don't wanna tattoo it somewhere else ;) That would be a good one: the Giant coffee cup...:) Interesting...so how many of you out there already have tattoos that somehow relate to TMBG? I'm curious! jessIca ps (I have 2) crummy hotmail plug below... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <380F11DF.D85206E@bu.edu> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:15:11 +0000 From: Casey Schreiner Organization: Boston University Subject: TMBG: Cry for Help! Hello, list. As you may or may not have heard, the secret TMBG show at Tufts University sold out in record time. If anyone on this list has an extra ticket or two, please, please, PLEASE email me! I was trying to organize a big event with all my friends to go and see the show, but I was not aware of the rabid fanship of the Tufts community. -Casey, keeping his fingers crossed ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991021173728.28764.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:37:27 PDT Green Jello wrote: > > Name two They Might Be Giants songs that make reference to the music >of >Alice Cooper. > > > >(I'm sure you'll get at least one!) > > >"Alice Cooper was my mom" the secret track from Superfueled Freaksickle is >the one NO ONE will remember The other one, of course, was "Careless Alice Cooper." -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991021173845.36252.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Tattoos Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:38:44 EDT >>I want to tattoo that on my ankle for some reason. >>Odd, huh? Lucky I don't wanna tattoo it somewhere else ;) > >That would be a good one: the Giant coffee cup...:) >Interesting...so how many of you out there already have tattoos that >somehow relate to TMBG? I'm curious! Well, mine don't have anything to do with TMBG, but I've got a red rosebud on the outside of my left ankle and a celtic knot done in a bunch of colors on the inside of my left ankle. I'm very happy with them both and I love to show them off. :) >jessIca > >ps (I have 2) Well....what are they?! **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.775f793a.2540c788@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:46:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Trivia Question of the Day In a message dated 10/21/99 1:40:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << The other one, of course, was "Careless Alice Cooper." >> Booo! Hisss! Lydia ::bleats:: ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.2b592b58.2540cb12@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:01:22 EDT Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: State Songs In a message dated 10/21/99 3:00:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu writes: << To bring this back to something semi-on-topic: When I first heard the recording of JL singing "Maryland", I was sure the words were original--they were just too wacky and over-the-top. (If you listen to the recording, the audience laughs when he gets to the part about Baltimore.) But WOW, not only was JL faithful to the original lyrics, he didn't even sing all of them. "Maryland" continues, in the same florid and purple vein (I particularly like the line that goes "Huzzah! She spurns the Northern scum!"). >> What about Nevada? I swear I've heard those lyrics somewhere before!! Lydia "Curiouser and curiouser." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991021202849.45329.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Happy Cow ." Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Eurpoean magazine Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:28:49 PDT Hello All, It's been a while since I've posted, but I just wanted to share this with everyone... In "Q" Magazine there is an article titiled "35 Erroneous Band Names" this is what it had to say about the Johns: 10. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS but they're not that made me kind of sad...... That's all for now kids..... ~Connie~ P.S. I SAW BEN FOLDS FIVE LAST NIGHT!!!! What a great show!!! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19991021164542.00959d70@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:48:12 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Unexpected TMBG sighting of the day Wow! I was watching the DVD of Troma's "Girl School Screamers" (which I got for the princely sum of a *quarter* off of their website recently), and in that disc's Troma Edge TV installment ("Do you have a bleeding eye?"), one of the Japanese film crew members is wearing a shirt with the John Henry cover on it. (A shirt I don't believe I've seen before.) BTW, Lloyd Kaufman, head honcho of Troma, is an admitted TMBG fan and mentioned them in his book that was published last summer. -Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991021205430.44321.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in Eurpoean magazine Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:54:30 PDT Happy Cow wrote: >In "Q" Magazine there is an article titiled "35 Erroneous Band Names" this >is what it had to say about the Johns: > >10. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS > but they're not > >that made me kind of sad...... But it's true! Neither John is afflicted with gigantism, and I don't think They're spending too much time at the tops of beanstalks saying "Fee, fi, fo, fum." -- Yours 'til my head falls off, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:27:02 -0400 (EDT) From: ELIAS Subject: TMBG: Their name Message-id: > In "Q" Magazine there is an article titiled "35 Erroneous Band Names" this > is what it had to say about the Johns: > > 10. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS > but they're not if i get the gist of the article, which i may not, it seems that TMBG really doesn't fit. Their name is not erroneous-- it is not "They ARE Giants" in which case, sure put it on the list. TMBG as it is, though, can only be erroneous if They cannot possibly be giants. which i suppose could be argued by the uninitiated, but at any rate is not supported by "but they're not" which is in fact just as much implied by Their name as Them "being giants". ELIAS activily trying not to write this application essay since this morning. emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo "oh, i've tried my hand at sex..." -emo philips emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <0.c4548845.25411fc0@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:02:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Their name > if i get the gist of the article, which i may not, it seems that TMBG > really doesn't fit. Their name is not erroneous-- it is not "They ARE > Giants" in which case, sure put it on the list. TMBG as it is, though, can > only be erroneous if They cannot possibly be giants. which i suppose could > be argued by the uninitiated, but at any rate is not supported by "but > they're not" which is in fact just as much implied by Their name as Them > "being giants". > "If you say they ARE giants, that's madness... But if you say they MIGHT be giants... that's genius! " It has been proven, friends :D Lydia Wise in Giantish ways since 1837 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001a01bf1c46$b4df8860$f62b140a@direcpc.com> From: "Rob" Subject: TMBG: Linnell Tix Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 21:34:16 -0700 Tickets for the L.A. show at the Troubador went on sale today. The show is Monday, November 22 at 8:00. $15.00. See you there. -Rob [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19991022053104.65606.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: Belated fan story Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:31:03 PDT Due to My slacking, I have not yet told the list of my experience at the Cincy show on 10/12. The show it self was great as always. (The crowd, however, seemed a little unexcited.) Anyways, the cool thing is this: I managed to, like the creepy fan I am, hang out by the tour bus and get snubbed by all the entire band of Dans. Contrastingly, You Were Spiralling were much more friendly. (The guitarist even brought us cold drinks!) I was feeling a little down, when suddenly The Flans turns the corner, and in all his fan friendly glory signed the various items presented to him by the fans. I walked away happy with my bright green canvass sneakers autographed by Mr. John Flansburgh. I also managed to grab Linell's sweaty towel, complete with coffee stain. I feel to be a lucky man. John "third John" Landis ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #22-22 ******************************